PDA

View Full Version : playoffs

utahmark
11-12-2006, 04:50 PM
i know. we dont have a chance!!!

but...... its our 5th year and im tired of just playing for a couple of wins and this team is playing some pretty good football right now.

so after about 2 years of basically not even looking at standings i decided to give it a look. we are 2 games out of the final wild card position and the 2 teams at 5 and 4 are the jets who we get to play and the jags who we own the tiebreaker with. so i looked a little deeper. the jets and jags have tough games next week while we get buffalo at home. so i looked a little deeper. we only play 2 more games against really good football teams. looks pretty good. but i finally came to my senses no way, we havent won back to back games in i dont know how long. we dont have a shot at the playoffs.....

unless....

Hulk75
11-12-2006, 04:58 PM
We have a chance, its not over untill its over:marionaner:

utahmark
11-12-2006, 09:36 PM
We have a chance, its not over untill its over:marionaner:

your right.

my thead was dying. this is my attempt to keep it alive.

TxAg
11-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Well we have been getting better and our defense is playing good football. I would not be surprised if it happend:pigfly: my PIG will fly LOL

Zac
11-12-2006, 09:42 PM
If the Texans Defense holds, the Offense might just have enough to have a 50-50 Chance of winning their remaining games.

Playoffs aren't likely, but with a tough defense like the one the Texans are fielding, anything is possible.

texflex513
11-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Anythings possible at this time in our season!!! playoffs???? why not.. things are looking up even with injuries. TEXANS4LIFE!:homer: X1000

Carr Bombed
11-12-2006, 09:56 PM
When thing I have learned being a Texan fan, threads like this one lead to bad things :shades:

Just look to next week and then after that week look towards the next.

One week at a time.

TheRealJoker
11-12-2006, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't even start talking about possible postseason until after the Jets game...if we can beat the Bills/Jets that would make 3 wins in a row for us which is something we've never done before in our 4.5 year history as an NFL team.

If we can do that then we'll start talking postseason, but until then im just thinking about the possibility of our first 8-8 season!!! :marionaner:

TexanSam
11-12-2006, 10:13 PM
if we can beat the Bills/Jets that would make 3 wins in a row for us which is something we've never done before in our 4.5 year history as an NFL team.

That's kind of sad. I'm glad David Carr didn't say he wouldn't cut his hair until we won 3 games in a row because he would look like a wooly mammoth right about now.

Stampede
11-12-2006, 10:13 PM
I don't think theres going to be any Easy wins. The bills held the colts to 17 points today and only lost by 1. The Texans need to be ready for a hard fought game this next weekend.

sprtsfanatic
11-12-2006, 10:42 PM
I don't think theres going to be any Easy wins. The bills held the colts to 17 points today and only lost by 1. The Texans need to be ready for a hard fought game this next weekend.

but you cant go by that...the jags shut out every opponent at home this year except for us and the colts barely beat the titans by 1 and we should have destroyed them just like the rest of the league is doing. Every game is different and who ever brings their A game and doesnt get cheated by refs can win any game. Look at the phins vs the bears, hell most games this NFL season for that matter....there is no for sure formula for any win even on paper.

Bullpen Drew
11-13-2006, 12:07 AM
In the legendary words of Jim Mora...

P-p-p-p-p-playoffs?? You kiddin me? You talking about playoffs???

HJam72
11-13-2006, 12:11 AM
I'm not gonna start worryin' about the playoffs until we get to the Super Bowl. :mario2: :tease:

run-david-run
11-13-2006, 01:29 AM
In the legendary words of Jim Mora...

P-p-p-p-p-playoffs?? You kiddin me? You talking about playoffs???

i was gonna do that! anyway, i really cant wait for this D to face Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. That should tell us all we need to know about how good we really are

Mysteryhunt
11-13-2006, 01:35 AM
we've got 4 winnable games coming up. now winning them is a different story. if not for the bad luck vs. the oilers we could seriously make a run at it.

DeclanJr
11-13-2006, 06:35 AM
Would've been nice to have won that game in Tennessee...

geofb
11-13-2006, 12:25 PM
we dont have a chance!!!

I agree totally with this part of your statement.

real
11-13-2006, 12:29 PM
I don't know if the fans should be expecting or hoping for play-offs....

But I sure hope that's still the teams goal...I hope that they are still shooting for that within the confines of Reliant...

jmlockett
11-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Well thats a nice change of pace from everyone wanting someones head on a plate to thinking playoffs. I would like to add that please people dont get dropped in a bucket of depression if we don't make the playoffs. This team has fought hard and have come a long way. My hat goes off to the Texans if you don't make post season I don't care. Thanks for trying.

11-13-2006, 12:42 PM
our only chance would be to win out, which is about 99.999% impossible...

Stampede
11-13-2006, 01:19 PM

And yet, people still play the lottery. Stranger things have happened.

:hmmm:

TexansLucky13
11-13-2006, 01:24 PM

"So you're tellin' me there's a chance!"

-Lloyd Christmas (Dumb and Dumber)

the wonger need food
11-13-2006, 01:50 PM
8-8 might get the last playoff spot in the AFC.

If you believe 8-8 is a possibility then you should believe a playoff spot is also.

whiskeyrbl
11-13-2006, 01:55 PM
I don't know if the fans should be expecting or hoping for play-offs....

But I sure hope that's still the teams goal...I hope that they are still shooting for that within the confines of Reliant...

We probably do not have a shot at the playoffs. But the mere fact that after 9 games in the book we can still think of an outside chance is encouraging.If we split our season in half our first half we were 2-6, having satarted 0-3 with 3 straight blowout losses it start the season, since that time the only game we didn't have a shot in was the Dallas game.WHY? Turnovers mainly. Now the second half has started and we are off to a 1-0 start. Reason is mainly a more aggressive and optomistic defence. Along with the fact that I think the guys are actually starting to implement the new systems they have been learning. And even if you don't like the IF'S. We could easily be 5-4 with wins at Tenn. and NY.:mario2:

rmartin65
11-13-2006, 02:15 PM
We have a shot. Victories against the Bills, Titans, Jets, Browns and Raiders put the Texans at 8 wins. Now, its unlikely that all of them are wins, but they are winnable games.

Double Barrel
11-13-2006, 02:23 PM
While the playoffs is numerically possible, I think it is highly improbable. AFC wildcard teams will need to be at least 9-7, if not 10-6 (there are only two spots since reallignment).

I don't think we'll win out the rest of the season, and we lost too many games in the first half to make a viable playoff run. Plus, we are way too inconsistent at this point to drink that koolaide. 2007, though, is a different matter.

HOU-TEX
11-13-2006, 02:33 PM
While the playoffs is numerically possible, I think it is highly improbable. AFC wildcard teams will need to be at least 9-7, if not 10-6 (there are only two spots since reallignment).

I don't think we'll win out the rest of the season, and we lost too many games in the first half to make a viable playoff run. Plus, we are way too inconsistent at this point to drink that koolaide. 2007, though, is a different matter.

I agree 100%. It's still going to be fun to watch the Texans improve over the remainder of 06. I think we'll see quite a few (player) personel changes in the offseason.

geofb
11-13-2006, 03:02 PM
8-8 might get the last playoff spot in the AFC.

If you believe 8-8 is a possibility then you should believe a playoff spot is also.

It's extremely unlikely 8-8 will get an AFC team into the playoffs.

Meloy
11-13-2006, 03:36 PM
No one has mentioned the massive injuries from just this one game. Another offensive starter (Wiegert)joins Spencer. A starting DT goes out for season and Mario has difficulty walking. For once I am just "thinking about the next game on the schedule" and hoping someone steps up. At least a lot of our backups are getting some reps to show if they should be on team next year.

Vinny
11-13-2006, 03:42 PM
With a strong finish this year and another good draft we can start to think playoffs. We have an outside shot of being a wildcard contender next season if we can add a couple of more difference makers. We are two drafts away from being a serious playoff contender though. Hopefully not much more than that.

TheOgre
11-13-2006, 03:47 PM

Yep. I stand by my 6-7 wins prediction prior to the season. It is looking more and more like it will be in that range.

Texan Asylum
11-13-2006, 03:52 PM
I like our chances of making the wild card slot better than Pittsburgs. Say that last year, and the beginning of this season, and I would've been laughed out of the country...and might still be.

Attitude. Our attitude is changing for the better every game...and with that attitude change WILL come consistency.

We will win convincingly, come Sunday, against Buffalo.

JDizzle
11-13-2006, 03:53 PM
If we win next week we will have the same record we did in 2004 after week 10 - 4-6. 7-9 is a realistic expectation.

Meloy
11-13-2006, 04:01 PM
With a strong finish this year and another good draft we can start to think playoffs. We have an outside shot of being a wildcard contender next season if we can add a couple of more difference makers. We are two drafts away from being a serious playoff contender though. Hopefully not much more than that.Vinny, do you see free agency being a force for Htown this off season? It was a pretty effective tool IMO for this year. If we can pick up 3-4 starters in draft and a couple in F/agency & maybe a couple of solid back ups in both, I'll be very impressed.

Vinny
11-13-2006, 05:19 PM
I'd think we will pursue a couple of core players but I really don't have a good feel for this regime so I don't know what to expect this off-season. I think we need a FS, another quality linebacker (two more actually), another DT, a RB, an offensive tackle, and a center....so we have multiple needs.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
11-13-2006, 06:09 PM
With a strong finish this year and another good draft we can start to think playoffs. We have an outside shot of being a wildcard contender next season if we can add a couple of more difference makers. We are two drafts away from being a serious playoff contender though. Hopefully not much more than that.

Vinny I read the MB daily and I must admit I yell at or get a laugh at your posts most of the time. But this post IMO you have hit the nail on the head I was thinking the same thing yesterday while listening to the game. Two more drafts with Kubs making the picks along with Smith and he has HIS type of players on the field. We may have somemore growing pains next year because I see Coach playing his rookie draft picks from day one just like this year. But 08 look out. We are seeing him do this with players from the last coaching staffs system. With player he picks for his system it will be scarey. My question to all will there be any DeMeco, Daniels,Spencers or Lundys in the draft this year? What I looking for are the sleepers of the draft most of us follow college ball and we know the big names. Who are the little names with big impact?

edo783
11-13-2006, 08:27 PM
If anyone is seriously thinking playoffs, they need to get back on their meds quickly. We just suffered a boatload of injuries at key spots and are short on talent anyway.

Texans_Chick
11-13-2006, 08:32 PM
I'd think we will pursue a couple of core players but I really don't have a good feel for this regime so I don't know what to expect this off-season. I think we need a FS, another quality linebacker (two more actually), another DT, a RB, an offensive tackle, and a center....so we have multiple needs.

Interesting isn't it. The uncertainty. Just when we figured out the devil we knew...:cool:

Here is a discussion of playoffs in the context of Pittsburgh, who has the same (!) record that the Texans do:

Link (http://steelers.aolsportsblog.com/2006/11/13/do-the-steelers-still-have-a-playoff-shot/)

run-david-run
11-13-2006, 10:02 PM
If we win next week we will have the same record we did in 2004 after week 10 - 4-6. 7-9 is a realistic expectation.

I would love for us to be 7-8 going into the last week against the Browns. A lot of people point to that game as the start of the Texans decline where we threw away a chance for a non-losing season. I think getting there again and winning would be the symbolic and moral victory we need to propell us the the playoffs next season.

Texan Asylum
11-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Interesting isn't it. The uncertainty. Just when we figured out the devil we knew...:cool:

Here is a discussion of playoffs in the context of Pittsburgh, who has the same (!) record that the Texans do:

Link (http://steelers.aolsportsblog.com/2006/11/13/do-the-steelers-still-have-a-playoff-shot/)

Team..................Wins Losses

New York Jets...........5 4

Kansas City Chiefs.....5 4

Jacksonville Jaguars...5 4

Cincinnati Bengals......4 5

Buffalo Bills...............3 6

Miami Dolphins...........3 6

Cleveland Browns.......3 6

Pittsburgh Steelers.....3 6

Houston Texans.........3 6

What I find significant about these records is...

While quite a bit of the group's records are indicating the decline of their prominence. Our's, on the contrary, indicates quite the opposite.

Like traveling on opposing escalators, while theirs is leading down, our's is leading up.:yahoo:

Go Texans!

El Tejano
11-14-2006, 12:43 PM
I have to admit when I saw the title to this thread, I thought I should check it out to get a good laugh. I didn't realize how close we are.

That being said, I will continue to not even bring up the playoffs because I need to see this team put a consistent month of football together. I would rather go at it in a goals approach.

1. Win two in a row
2. Win two road games in a row(or two of the last 3 isnt bad.)
3. Don't play down to the level of the Raiders.
4. Beat the Titans (got to win the crowd back in Houston)
5. Beat Indy (Wanna play with big dogs, got to beat big dogs).
6. Finish your business against Cleveland.

TexansTailg8r
11-14-2006, 12:46 PM
I have to admit when I saw the title to this thread, I thought I should check it out to get a good laugh. I didn't realize how close we are.

That being said, I will continue to not even bring up the playoffs because I need to see this team put a consistent month of football together. I would rather go at it in a goals approach.

1. Win two in a row
2. Win two road games in a row(or two of the last 3 isnt bad.)
3. Don't play down to the level of the Raiders.
4. Beat the Titans (got to win the crowd back in Houston)
5. Beat Indy (Wanna play with big dogs, got to beat big dogs).
6. Finish your business against Cleveland.

Can't say it much better than that.

eriadoc
11-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Team..................Wins Losses

New York Jets...........5 4

Kansas City Chiefs.....5 4

Jacksonville Jaguars...5 4

Cincinnati Bengals......4 5

Buffalo Bills...............3 6

Miami Dolphins...........3 6

Cleveland Browns.......3 6

Pittsburgh Steelers.....3 6

Houston Texans.........3 6

What I find significant about these records is...

While quite a bit of the group's records are indicating the decline of their prominence. Our's, on the contrary, indicates quite the opposite.

Like traveling on opposing escalators, while theirs is leading down, our's is leading up.:yahoo:

Go Texans!

Another interesting point - we have the chance to beat the Jets, Bills, and Browns in head-to-head matchups and we've already won vs. the Jags and Dolphins from that list.

Realistically, I think we have no chance at the playoffs and if we somehow, miraculously, found a wild-card spot, I think we'd be bounced in the first round. However, it's looking optimistic for the 6-10 preseason prediction. We're on the way up! :redtowel:

11-14-2006, 06:10 PM
"So you're tellin' me there's a chance!"

-Lloyd Christmas (Dumb and Dumber)

great minds think alike, i kinda had that in my head haha

Sarg01
11-14-2006, 06:51 PM

Our 0-4 record vs. the NFC guarantees we'll have the AFC record tiebreaker over any team we end up in a tie with - so we actually have a better shot than the Steelers.

... Though not really a good one.

(Edit, obviously the head to head tiebreak comes first, but we're not likely to be in play off contention if we're dropping games to the likes of the Bills, Browns or Jets)

thunderkyss
11-15-2006, 07:57 AM
Lame thing too say, but one game at a time, guys. As for me I took the over for games won at 5.5 , and I'm not sure yet that it was as good as I thought it was in Sept. With David hurt, it looks real shakie to me now. :cowboy1:

Well, to have a shot, we've got to win out. So...... root for the Texans to beat Buffalo........ what's a Bill anyway??

Then, let's root for Dallas to whup Indy... you're not really rooting for Dallas to win as much as you'll be rooting for Indy to lose.

Denver vs SanDiego... doesn't matter to us, they are both 7-2.. take your pick

Atlanta over Baltimore.....

Greenbay over NewEngland.....

Chicago over NYJ

Oakland over KC....... Aaron Brooks will start.

NYG over Jax......

N.O. over Cincy.....

Clevland over Pittsburgh

Minnesota over Miami.....

The most important games, are the Jets, KC, Jax & Cincy...we've need them to lose.

Stampede
11-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Well, to have a shot, we've got to win out. So...... root for the Texans to beat Buffalo........ what's a Bill anyway??

Then, let's root for Dallas to whup Indy... you're not really rooting for Dallas to win as much as you'll be rooting for Indy to lose.

Denver vs SanDiego... doesn't matter to us, they are both 7-2.. take your pick

Atlanta over Baltimore.....

Greenbay over NewEngland.....

Chicago over NYJ

Oakland over KC....... Aaron Brooks will start.

NYG over Jax......

N.O. over Cincy.....

Clevland over Pittsburgh

Minnesota over Miami.....

The most important games, are the Jets, KC, Jax & Cincy...we've need them to lose.

If it looks liike a duck, quacks like a duck...it might be a bill? Gee, I dunno TK, Why you have to ask that...Im so confused now. :confused:

Tayton
11-15-2006, 08:39 AM
As rediculous as this thread is, it is a whole lot better than the "so who do we draft next year" threads.

run-david-run
11-15-2006, 10:37 AM
Id take blind optimism over pessimism any day

hollywood_texan
11-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Anything can happen, but this team is so far from the playoffs it makes me laugh that I am even talking about it.

Here are several reasons why the Texans won't have a winning season this year:

1. The offense is too slow and predictable.
2. The offense can't run the two-minute drill.
3. The offense can't score quality points in the firsr half.
4. The defensive secondary has some big holes in it and could be exposed easily by a good passing team.
5. The kicker and punter positions look to be a weakness now.
6. Coaching isn't that strong because the victories are just like the old Doom Capers way.

The Texans beating the Jags twice doesn't mean the Texans are going to the playoffs, but it does mean the Jags are not going to the playoffs this year.

utahmark
11-19-2006, 03:50 PM
well there goes our playoff run. what a run it was. i even found myself checking the jets score today. maybe next year.:pigfly:

Trap_Star
11-19-2006, 03:52 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6688343676151410482&q=jim+mora&hl=en

You had it coming....