PDA

View Full Version : Kris Brown Should Be Cut

the wonger need food
11-12-2006, 01:28 PM
I understand that we recently extended this guy for way too much money. Irregardless, he should be cut tomorrow. At the very least Kubiak has to bring a few kickers for a look this week.

alphajoker
11-12-2006, 01:31 PM
The way players are coming and going lately under Kubiak, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's let go.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
11-12-2006, 01:31 PM
If he misses another one and they lose the game, KB will be cut.

the wonger need food
11-12-2006, 01:53 PM
Kubiak gave him a chance to redeem himself and he blew it again. He should be cut tomorrow.

Cgold
11-12-2006, 01:54 PM
ANOTHER F'N MISS... Fire him now!!!

we better not lose this game because of him!!!! :crying:
dont we have anyone else on the roster besides him??

Texans Pride
11-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Kubiak gave him a chance to redeem himself and he blew it again. He should be cut tomorrow.

He sucks.

I never like to talk bad about our players, but he is horrible. He's a very consistent kicker. . . .

Consistently missing kicks.

Cgold
11-12-2006, 02:00 PM
well atleast he can put down a 20 yarder..

Id feel a lot better about 19-7

the wonger need food
11-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Id feel a lot better about 19-7

It should be 35-3. Horrible playcalling by Kubiak.

Cgold
11-12-2006, 02:08 PM
A kicker has got one job!!! he doesnt have S**T to do all week but kick FG's over and over.. hes getting paid to much to miss 30 yarders when he has got one thing to focus on, he doesnt need to study film, or read a defense, he needs to do the one thing he is in the league for, if he cant do it then he needs to be gone.. its that simple..

powerfuldragon
11-12-2006, 02:16 PM
We shouldn't have needed to use Kris.

Cgold
11-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Ok fine, the team is not great, that doesnt change the fact that when his number is called he should be able to do the one thing that is asked from him on a consistent basis...

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
11-12-2006, 03:06 PM
A good team wouldn't need to use the field goal kicker alot. We still need improvement. We are just pecking away jacksonville.

Tell that to the Patriots who need A. Vinatieri to win their super bowls! Tell that to the Colts who lost last year in the playoffs due to Vanderjerk! Like it or not kickers are important especially to good teams. Why do you think Dallas pursued that cancer Vaderjerk.

I know the coachs were busy making other changes in the off season but Brown was bad last season. All the jokes about misses in the Bush bowl took some of the light of the fact we has missing kicks that should have been made easily. Some of those kicks last year were so bad it was crazy!

gwallaia
11-12-2006, 03:12 PM
CUT????!!!!

You try to hit an 8" wide post from 52 yards away!!!!

They should give 10 points for that!!

Brandon420tx
11-12-2006, 03:13 PM
CUT????!!!!

:francis:

Buffi2
11-12-2006, 03:16 PM
At the very least Brown should be benched, screamed at, and snatched baldheaded in that order. That is one person still left on this team who isn't improving at all. I can certainly understand missing a 51 yard field goal - but a 22 yard? Give me a break - that is his job.

TexanSam
11-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Is Martin Gramatica still available. He can't do a whole lot worse? Todd Sauerbrun is available as well I think. I figures the cap hit wouldn't be huge if we cut both Stanley and Brown.

OzzO
11-12-2006, 03:20 PM
According to the 610 play by play - Brown and Kubiak made eye contact before the 52 yarder and Brown was nodding his head yes to let Kubiak know he can make it.

Take that for what it's worth.

SuperMario
11-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Agreed....Kris Brown should get cut! I guess he didn't get the memo that we're trying to improve this year.

run-david-run
11-12-2006, 03:21 PM
It should be 35-3. Horrible playcalling by Kubiak.

A houston team up 35-3? Ill take the 13-10 win

J-Storm
11-12-2006, 03:28 PM
I know a lot of us have said that Kris Brown has done a lot of good things for this team with his kicking game but seriously it does seem like he is going through the motions. I don't want to lose 'cos of a bad kick that should be made (not a 52yarder btw, they're excusable).

IF this had have been a playoff game, are we happy to settle for a guy like Kris with a game in the balance? We have complained about guys like Gaffney and Carr before but Kris seems to get let off a tad easier with us it seems...

P.S. I want to add Stanley to the list, he has to go as well. Wonger got it right when naming both these two needing to pick up their act... or else!!!

Roughnecks
11-12-2006, 03:30 PM
He does not seem like he his improving with the team same for Chad Stanley.

SuperMario
11-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Everybody is improving except the kickers! Kris Brown couldn't even make a 20 yard FG...Give me a break! What the hell did Capers see in this guy.

Texas
11-12-2006, 03:53 PM
I agree!

rmartin65
11-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Brown is missing alot. I agree.

Snapple
11-12-2006, 04:16 PM
CUT????!!!!

Yes, cut. Kris Brown has missed more important kicks over the last couple years than I care to recall. He is not up to the league average, so he needs to be replaced.

Osso
11-12-2006, 04:28 PM
cut them both...I know a dozen 18 yr olds who can kick more consistently.

Austrian
11-12-2006, 04:30 PM
I have to agree. KB surely misses alot.

gwallaia
11-12-2006, 04:37 PM
];497293']I am saying is his missed are critical. At the wrong time.

He missed a good one last year against San Fransisco that gave us Reggie Bu....
err Mario Williams.

goodnews boy
11-12-2006, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=Cgold;496169]ANOTHER F'N MISS... Fire him now!!! QUOTE]

If we fire him NOW( as you say) Who can we get?

Capster67
11-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Thanks for this thread. I've thought since last season he should go. He's just been hidden on a bad team. As we continue to improve, Brown's misses will cost us a game or two if he's allowed to continue.

NFLforher
11-12-2006, 05:27 PM
I understand that we recently extended this guy for way too much money. Irregardless, he should be cut tomorrow. At the very least Kubiak has to bring a few kickers for a look this week.

There is no such word as "iiregardless."

wolfscar
11-12-2006, 06:08 PM
He should give the same amount of time he has given carr. 52 yards is a bit much for Kris.

And what about 32? And all the other straightforward kicks he's been missing?

Marcus
11-12-2006, 06:18 PM
There's no such word as "prolly" either, but hey.....

Pantherstang84
11-12-2006, 06:33 PM

Excellent point. Folks I think we will have to live with KB this season. However, I definitely think kickers would be an important area to address during the off-season.

Although, we might be able to make a deal for Vandershanksthem.

TexanFanInCC
11-12-2006, 06:47 PM

i might be in favor of this happening. hes missed too many within 30 yds....purely pathetic. problem is, who is there to pick up? is martin gramatica still around?

Second Honeymoon
11-12-2006, 07:00 PM
after thanking Brown for the #1 overall pick last year, we need to promptly kick his arse to the curb. The guy needs to go and its hurting the team by keeping him, and to a lesser extent Stanley, both around.

doug from the woodlands

The Pencil Neck
11-12-2006, 08:36 PM

No, and no one actually typed that word in any message but yours. :)

eriadoc
11-12-2006, 09:59 PM
From the 2004 season forward, Vinatieri has missed 9 FGs out of 76 tries, from any distance. Kris Brown has missed 17 of 69 in that same span. Obviously, Vinatieri is an elite kicker, so I'm contrasting rather than comparing. It would be nice if we had a kicker that reliable.

Mattheus_Rex
11-12-2006, 10:19 PM
I'll jump on this bandwagon too now. 52 yards can be iffy, but the 32 yard attempt should have been made. It's time for him to go.

keyser
11-12-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm all for improving on Brown, but if we were to try to replace Brown at this point, we'd either be:
- Taking a total gamble on someone unproven. Chances are, he wouldn't be any better/more reliable than Brown. Brown is in the lower middle of the pack of NFL kickers (by stats), but that's probably much better than most of the untried kickers out there. I don't remember - did the Texans have anyone else in training camp that they've gotten a good look at already?
- Going after some vet that is currently unemployed. Though I don't know for certain, I don't think we're going to find any top kickers sitting around that easily - there's a reason they're not already on some other team. Someone mentioned Gramatica, though - where is he now? We might be able to get an "average" kicker, who still might be some improvement on Brown, though probably not much.

The problem with replacing kickers is that it's really hard to find one that's going to be above average. To really get a good evaluation, you need to try them out over time in several real games. Tryouts don't replicate the game situations they'll face, and I've seen cases where the person who looks great in practice cracks in game situations. It would be great to find some young, better kicker, but the odds of doing so are pretty low.

sprtsfanatic
11-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Does anyone around here recall the days when we didnt have to worry about a fg from 50 yds in....Man Del Rio had a cannon for a leg...that guy could boot the heck out of the ball and had thighs bigger than some peoples chests...crazy!!

bah007
11-12-2006, 11:04 PM
He should give the same amount of time he has given carr. 52 yards is a bit much for Kris.

52 is definitely good range for Brown.

Did you see that missile he put up? Too bad it hit the post.

He has been a power kicker his entire career. Accuracy is not the reason he is employed. He can boot that ball big time.

sprtsfanatic
11-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Oh, and yeah they both should be replaced....brown has blown way to many fg inside of 40yds and I've seen high school players that could punt a ball farther than stanley.....in the pros and avgs what....32 yds??? thats pathetic...when does anyone recall a booming punt by stanley that was more than 45 yds without bouncing??? I know I cant...his stats are overrated. His pinned inside the 20 stats are bs considering it was because our O would stall around the opponents forty and he would have to boot from there...hell all he had to do was punt it for 25 yds...

bah007
11-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Oh, and yeah they both should be replaced....brown has blown way to many fg inside of 40yds and I've seen high school players that could punt a ball farther than stanley.....in the pros and avgs what....32 yds??? thats pathetic...when does anyone recall a booming punt by stanley that was more than 45 yds without bouncing??? I know I cant...his stats are overrated. His pinned inside the 20 stats are bs considering it was because our O would stall around the opponents forty and he would have to boot from there...hell all he had to do was punt it for 25 yds...

That is why Stanley is our punter.

I would rather have a guy who punts it 35 yds & sticks it inside the 10 than a guy who boots it 50 & knocks it out the back of the endzone.

Just like I would rather have a guy that gets 5 yds every time he runs the ball instead of a guy who gets negative yds 4 times in a row before he breaks a big run.

HJam72
11-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Considering that the 52 yd. miss really can't be held against him (I mean it is 52 yds.), he didn't do so bad. Throwing that one out, he still had a bad day, but not too bad. We still need another kicker though and I think next offseason we need to take care of that. We need a good field-goal kicker more than just about anyone.

stanley also needs to be replaced. I know he doesn't allow returns and he's good at the I-20 thing, but his leg-strength SUCKS these days and I don't see it getting any better.

HJam72
11-12-2006, 11:12 PM
His pinned inside the 20 stats are bs considering it was because our O would stall around the opponents forty and he would have to boot from there...hell all he had to do was punt it for 25 yds...

Good point.

sprtsfanatic
11-12-2006, 11:13 PM
That is why Stanley is our punter.

I would rather have a guy who punts it 35 yds & sticks it inside the 10 than a guy who boots it 50 & knocks it out the back of the endzone.

Just like I would rather have a guy that gets 5 yds every time he runs the ball instead of a guy who gets negative yds 4 times in a row before he breaks a big run.

thats fine when we need a 30yd punt, but how about in circumstances like today where we went 3 and out in the 4th qtr with time running down and he punts it 30 yds and gives them the ball on the 45??? wheres your comfort in that pathetic play?

bah007
11-12-2006, 11:19 PM
thats fine when we need a 30yd punt, but how about in circumstances like today where we went 3 and out in the 4th qtr with time running down and he punts it 30 yds and gives them the ball on the 45??? wheres your comfort in that pathetic play?

I know that sucks.

I understand where you are coming from.

But my comfort is that there was a 0 yd return on that punt.

bayoumaniac
11-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Funny, but shouldn't we be talking about the fact that we shouldn't have to rely on a field goal or two to win the game.
Each time we have to kick a field goal...our offense fails to "CLOSE THE DEAL". If we have to rely on our kickers to win the team, we have bigger problems on our hands. And too many times we do have to rely on Kris Brown instead of the our offense stepping it up. Bottom line....we won and still own the Jags and I will take that win.:mario2:

HJam72
11-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Funny, but shouldn't we be talking about the fact that we shouldn't have to rely on a field goal or two to win the game.
Each time we have to kick a field goal...our offense fails to "CLOSE THE DEAL". If we have to rely on our kickers to win the team, we have bigger problems on our hands. And too many times we do have to rely on Kris Brown instead of the our offense stepping it up. Bottom line....we won and still own the Jags and I will take that win.:mario2:

That's true, but the kicker is always the point leader on every team, including the SB winners. Every team needs a kicker that can be relied on and any team that doesn't have one will suffer losses over it.

Now, I can tell you one thing. We could keep KB, keep getting high draft picks, and replace him with somebody good when we are ready to compete for a SB, lol. :ok: :mario2: :spy:

bayoumaniac
11-12-2006, 11:52 PM
True, but I still think that Brown has produced in the past more than not. Only reason it doesn't stand out is because our defense hasn't produced enough to have made it (KB) a winning factor in the past. Again..I'll take the win....especially over the Jags. If we can own the Jags...we should be able to take on some of the teams they seem to be able to pounce on.

texansfanquecaneh
11-13-2006, 12:01 AM
[QUOTE=Cgold;496169]ANOTHER F'N MISS... Fire him now!!! QUOTE]

Why not take a look at Damon Duval of Montreal? He was 4 for 4 in field goals today, including a 44 and a 45 yarder, ending the CFL season for Ricky Williams:stirpot: .

HJam72
11-13-2006, 12:01 AM
I used to think KB was nails. He probably was (basically) back then, but it's been quite a while now.

Bullpen Drew
11-13-2006, 12:04 AM
He sucks.

I never like to talk bad about our players, but he is horrible. He's a very consistent kicker. . . .

Consistently missing kicks.

HAHA Classic!

HJam72
11-13-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm pretty sure that all kickers are consistent. I rarely see one actually miss the football. :tease:

Mattheus_Rex
11-13-2006, 12:21 AM
I'm pretty sure that all kickers are consistent. I rarely see one actually miss the football. :tease:

Who's the Titans kicker? On yeah, that was the holder's fault. lol

HeartofHouston
11-13-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm sorry but kris brown has the power to make the kicks but his accuracy is disturbing to me.. missing kicks that should be chip shots. Cut him.

Texan_Bill
11-13-2006, 10:26 AM
I somewhat defended Kris Brown in a thread about Chad Stanley. I am officially retracting that defense. I don't mind that he missed the 52 yarder (thats a tough kick - granted) but the chip shot....... C'mon!

texanfan2002114
11-13-2006, 10:30 AM
This thread is so funny. Last year I started a thread saying the Texans should have cut Kris Brown and I received negative feedback and negative rep. points. I was called a fairweather fan to the max and being called ridiculous. Now I come on here today and see that everyone now agrees with something I said almost a year ago!! The Texans should cut Kris brown today!!

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?p=221241#post221241

Texan_Bill
11-13-2006, 10:41 AM
okay texanfan2002114, you were right and many were wrong.... Act like you've been there before and don't gloat j/k ;)

texanfan2002114
11-13-2006, 10:45 AM
okay texanfan2002114, you were right and many were wrong.... Act like you've been there before and don't gloat j/k ;)

:francis:

kcwilson
11-13-2006, 11:06 AM

That's crap.. An offense isn't going to score a TD every time... getting points out of all drives into the opponents territory is key. Too many times this year we have bounced back or could have taken a two score lead early in the game only to have Brown give us nothing on the drive.

That is a momentum killer. 3-6 points a game makes a big difference.

bah007
11-13-2006, 11:11 AM
That's crap.. An offense isn't going to score a TD every time... getting points out of all drives into the opponents territory is key. Too many times this year we have bounced back or could have taken a two score lead early in the game only to have Brown give us nothing on the drive.

That is a momentum killer. 3-6 points a game makes a big difference.

Ditto.

We shouldn't have had to be worried at the end or even go for it on 4th & 1. The score should have been 19-10.

Brown's first miss was unbelievable. That was a chip shot.

The second one was okay. He had the distance big time but hit the freakin post.

real
11-13-2006, 11:11 AM
If we have to rely on our kickers to win the team, we have bigger problems on our hands. And too many times we do have to rely on Kris Brown instead of the our offense stepping it up.

O.k...That makes no sense what so ever....

How about you tell that to Patriots orginization....

fdknuckles
11-13-2006, 01:50 PM
His missed field goals cost us the game against the Giants and could of kept us out of a critical 4th and 1 in this one.

HOU-TEX
11-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Considering we're 3-6 on the season. We should go for it from now on instead of kicking a field goal. What do we have to lose? KB is should not be a kicker in this league. Maybe Chad Stanley could put in a little extra time in practice on field goals. LOL

whiskeyrbl
11-13-2006, 02:29 PM
This thread is so funny. Last year I started a thread saying the Texans should have cut Kris Brown and I received negative feedback and negative rep. points. I was called a fairweather fan to the max and being called ridiculous. Now I come on here today and see that everyone now agrees with something I said almost a year ago!! The Texans should cut Kris brown today!!

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?p=221241#post221241

Give him till the end of the season then see about this kid from Colorado Univ.

Mason Walker Crosby (born September 3, 1984 in Lubbock, Texas), is an American college football placekicker for the University of Colorado at Boulder. He is widely considered the best kicker in college football, as evidenced by his current number one spot on ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr.'s Top 5 Seniors by position. He was a unanimous selection as a First Team All American by the Associated Press, FWAA, The Sporting News, and Walter Camp for the 2005 NCAA Division I-A football season. He was the runner-up for Lou Groza Award, despite being heavily favored to win [1]

Contents [hide]
1 Field Goals
2 Kickoffs
3 Career Stats
4 Personal Information
5 Related Pages
6 References
7 External link

[edit] Field Goals
Mason Crosby is known for extraordinary leg strength, making a school record 60-yard field goal against Iowa State in 2004. Although some take Crosby's records with a grain of salt because he kicks at high altitude, he holds the NCAA record for the longest field goal without a tee at sea level, 58-yards against Miami in 2005 (elevation 7 feet). Crosby also displays excellent accuracy with his kicks, connecting on 58-76 in his career, and making 30-34 inside 40-yards.[1]

Crosby has developed a reputation for kicking in the clutch, making 12-13 field goals in the fourth quarter, and a perfect 10-10 in the final 8 1/2 minutes of games (through the 2005 season). This bent has been most evident when Crosby plays rival Colorado State University, against whom Crosby made kicks of 55- (2004), 48-, and 47-yards (2005) in consecutive years to win the Rocky Mountain Showdown.

He is the first player in Big 12 Conference history to be named player of the week eight times.[2] As of 2006, he is also Colardo's all-time leading scorer, with 275 points. The previous record holder was Eric Bienemy (1987-1990) with 254.

On November 11th, Mason passed the 300 point mark!

[edit] Kickoffs
Crosby also serves as the Buffs' kickoff specialist, where his knack for forcing touchbacks after touchdowns has made him a fan favorite. Overall, 127 of Crosby's 184 career kickoffs have been touchbacks, including an 87-yard kickoff touchback from the 20-yard-line against Iowa State in 2004.[1] Crosby routinely kicks the ball through the uprights on kickoffs, a practice that invariably draws cheers from the home crowd.
www.cubuffs.com

Meloy
11-13-2006, 04:17 PM
He should give the same amount of time he has given carr. 52 yards is a bit much for Kris. Superstar, hasn't Kris had the same amount of time as Carr? In fact wasn't he with the Steelers before Carr was drafted? I also do not think it was the long missed kick that upset the fans but the shorter one.

humbleone
11-13-2006, 05:01 PM

It was pretty easy to read Kubes lips when Brown missed the 32 yarder. I would say his patience with #3 is about to end. It is too bad really because he does have a strong leg.

GP
11-13-2006, 05:58 PM
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/slant/images/PICTURE_slant10.gif

This is a guy who could come in and have an immediate impact for us.

Paragon Blue
11-13-2006, 06:41 PM
I heard on 610 that they were having kickers come in tommorrow.

Buffi2
11-13-2006, 06:53 PM
I heard on 610 that they were having kickers come in tommorrow.

Kubiak also said that on Ch 13 tonight. He also dismissed it by saying that they had people come in every Tuesday. My bet is that he is looking for a new kicker, and rightfully so.

QB75
11-13-2006, 06:55 PM
They can bring in all the kickers they want. Kris will be kicking next week and the week after that as well.

edo783
11-13-2006, 08:02 PM
I heard him in his presser today saying they will have guys in on Tuesday and some will be kickers. They always have guys in on Tuesday, but it sure is interesting that this week there are kickers. Not sure if there are usually some there. Maybe there are and its just business as usuall, but it sure is interesting timming.

sprtsfanatic
11-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Either way, when all is said and done brown and stanley should both be out of jobs for the houston organization...they need replacements ASAP.

QB75
11-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Either way, when all is said and done brown and stanley should both be out of jobs for the houston organization...they need replacements ASAP.

ASAP?? No, they don't. Calm down.

los is 7
11-14-2006, 01:02 PM
I'll try to find the link, But the G.M. stated that they bring in players every tuesday to evaluate potential players, this includes all positions.

HOU-TEX
11-14-2006, 01:40 PM
I'll try to find the link, But the G.M. stated that they bring in players every tuesday to evaluate potential players, this includes all positions.

It was Kubiak, here it is:

(on whether they plan to workout any kickers) “I think there are some guys coming in to workout tomorrow. But I have confidence in Kris and I have confidence in Chad. But they know that they have to step up and get better. Us working out kickers is no refection towards them. We work out players every Tuesday. There’s always a big group of guys what we bring in here. So I expect those two to come back and do a good job this week.”

(on whether kickers have worked out before) “Yes we have. Yeah.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3095&section=N%20Latest%20News

I Love #59
11-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Brown might suck but that 52 yarder was a bomb. It hit the post half way up! One foot left and it was good from 60yd!

real
11-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Brown might suck but that 52 yarder was a bomb. It hit the post half way up! One foot left and it was good from 60yd!

Woulda.....coulda..........Shoulda........

kcwilson
11-14-2006, 03:17 PM

Right, but 15 feet to the right and he would have made the 33 yarder.

El Tejano
11-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Does anyone around here recall the days when we didnt have to worry about a fg from 50 yds in....Man Del Rio had a cannon for a leg...that guy could boot the heck out of the ball and had thighs bigger than some peoples chests...crazy!!

You mean Al Del Greco!! Not Del Rio. I remember he even had a commercial at one time that said he was the greatest player in NFL history.

El Tejano
11-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Honestly if that dude makes the kick against the Giants, we are looking at 4-5 because on that last drive, another FG would've won the game for us. Brown has been doing bad for the past 2 years but it is starting to show big time for us.

TxDavid
11-14-2006, 03:47 PM
It's not his fault. The laces weren't out.

http://www.theiceblock.com/upload/ace_hut.jpg

jerek
11-14-2006, 04:51 PM
It isn't that Brown doesn't have the boot. He can and has hit 50+ yarders. It's that he's wildly inconsistent. I haven't checked the numbers, but I've never seen a kicker miss so many gimme's. He'll hit a 53 yarder and miss a 30 and a 20, all in the same game. That's flat out unacceptable at the NFL level and his misses cost us games last year and almost cost us in Jacksonville. A kicker has one job to do and it's reasonable to expect that he perform it with a pretense of consistency.

IIRC we eat a lot to cut him right now and he's barely serviceable so I don't expect he'll be gone until this offseason, but he's on his way out.

GP
11-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Here's an easy way for a Texans fan to decide if Kris Brown stays or gets voted off the island at tribal council:

When he lines up and then takes his steps backwards....do you suddenly "tense up" and get a knot in your stomach? Does this thought cross your mind as he swings through the kick: "Come on, come on, come on...get in there, GET IN THERE!" ?

It does for me.

I can't even watch his kicks anymore.

Can you think what it'd be like if we were playing in a postseaosn game and had him as our kicker with the game on the line?

Yeah, he bangs the long ones or barely misses them.

He's downright choke-tastic on the little 30-yarders. I mean, it's not even close dude.

He seems to be a great person. But a younger guy who wants a roster spot badly might be able to provide more consistency.

Don't understand why we haven't at least signed another kicker to split kicks with him. What the heck could it hurt? I mean, Ron Dayne doesn't need his roster spot saved anymore does he?

The Pencil Neck
11-14-2006, 05:38 PM
It isn't that Brown doesn't have the boot. He can and has hit 50+ yarders. It's that he's wildly inconsistent. I haven't checked the numbers, but I've never seen a kicker miss so many gimme's. He'll hit a 53 yarder and miss a 30 and a 20, all in the same game. That's flat out unacceptable at the NFL level and his misses cost us games last year and almost cost us in Jacksonville. A kicker has one job to do and it's reasonable to expect that he perform it with a pretense of consistency.

IIRC we eat a lot to cut him right now and he's barely serviceable so I don't expect he'll be gone until this offseason, but he's on his way out.

He's 50% (2-4) from 30-39 and 80% (4-5) from 40-49. That's just psycho.

He's tied for 2nd worse from 30-39 yards in terms of percentage.

bah007
11-14-2006, 05:45 PM
He's 50% (2-4) from 30-39 and 80% (4-5) from 40-49. That's just psycho.

He's tied for 2nd worse from 30-39 yards in terms of percentage.

We knew what we were getting when the Steelers cut him. He is a power kicker who cant make a chip shot.

Mysteryhunt
11-14-2006, 05:57 PM
his makes worry me as much as his misses. he has had a lot of gimme chip shots just eek in for the 3

The Pencil Neck
11-14-2006, 07:02 PM
We knew what we were getting when the Steelers cut him. He is a power kicker who cant make a chip shot.

Well, iirc, his inconsistency was excused because he had been kicking in Heinz field which is a hard place to kick. He was supposed to be a lot better once he got out of there.

texan279
11-14-2006, 07:03 PM
WE WANNA KICKER NOT A BELLY ITCHER!!!!!!!!:wild:

CowboysTexansFan
11-14-2006, 07:05 PM

He was brought in to be a reliable kicker and has been paid a premium for his services. The team felt it was important to have a good kicker in order to have a chance to win close games. Kris has failed to reliably perform that role for the last season and a half, and that has cost the team games.

If all we want is "a power kicker who can't make a chip shot", we don't need to be spending anywhere near the amount of money we are on Kris. I'm not in favor of getting rid of him now, because I'm not sure we'd find anyone better at this time, but unless he shows dramatic improvement the rest of this season, he needs to be replaced in the offseason.