PDA

View Full Version : DeMeco over DJ

alphajoker
11-10-2006, 10:48 PM
You know, I was just reading about how much recognition DeMeco Ryans is getting and how he's a front runner for Defensive Rookie of the year when all of sudden I thought about what if we had gotten Derrick Johnson last year instead? Would the Texans still have gotten DeMeco Ryans or even drafted for LB this year? In hindsight, I'm glad we didn't pick up DJ because I think if we would have gone for DJ last year, I don't think we pick up Ryans this year. Don't get me wrong, DJ's been playing good and all but I'm glad we got Ryans instead. I think he has the potential to be one of the good ones at his position. Weird how the draft plays out sometimes, huh?

GP
11-10-2006, 11:03 PM
You know, I was just reading about how much recognition DeMeco Ryans is getting and how he's a front runner for Defensive Rookie of the year when all of sudden I thought about what if we had gotten Derrick Johnson last year instead? Would the Texans still have gotten DeMeco Ryans or even drafted for LB this year? In hindsight, I'm glad we didn't pick up DJ because I think if we would have gone for DJ last year, I don't think we pick up Ryans this year. Don't get me wrong, DJ's been playing good and all but I'm glad we got Ryans instead. I think he has the potential to be one of the good ones at his position. Weird how the draft plays out sometimes, huh?

Who's Derrick Johnson?

Sincerely,

Everybody who is not a UT homer

TexanSam
11-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Is Derrick Johnson a MLB? If so, then I think we still would have drafted a LB and put Demeco at OLB. I think that was his natural position at Alabama and I remember reading a few articles that said he does prefer OLB to MLB.

hot pickle
11-10-2006, 11:56 PM
rather have DJ, but thats cuz im a UT fan, but i love DeMeco

phan1
11-11-2006, 12:42 AM
I think I'd rather have a good MLB than a good OLB. Derrick Brooks versus Ray Lewis? Give me Ray Lewis.

TexansSeminole
11-11-2006, 01:10 AM
DJ is a OLB.

alphajoker
11-11-2006, 02:23 AM
Who's Derrick Johnson?

Sincerely,

I am not a UT homer, if that is what your implying. Anyways, I thought this was a message board where we are free to express ideas. I didn't know this was the Jim Rome show.

Vinny
11-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Most teams start more than one linebacker...so yeah, there would be room for two good ones here. Especially two that can play different lb positions like dj and DeMeco.

ESAD2-14
11-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Who's Derrick Johnson?

Sincerely,

A&M fan? Hair trigger on that one.

thunderkyss
11-11-2006, 10:16 AM
hmmm......

Wolf
11-11-2006, 10:22 AM
i'd love to have both at this point
DJ's stats
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7191/

GP
11-11-2006, 11:19 AM
I am not a UT homer, if that is what your implying. Anyways, I thought this was a message board where we are free to express ideas. I didn't know this was the Jim Rome show.

Just a drive-by attempt at humor.

Lighten up, will ya'? Man, I didn't know this place had to have the same atmosphere as an emergecny room waiting area. Sheesh.....

That was saying exactly what it is: Outside of Texas (The State, not the college) we're really not seeing any specials on ESPN about how Derrick Johnson is changing the faceof the LB position. I think Demeco is getting more pub than DJ has ever received. One guy is being considered as the steal of the draft, the obvious Defensive Rookie of the Year, and is right up there with the rest of the LEAGUE'S LBers in terms of tackles. ANd the other guy is a virtual no-name outside of UT fans who follow their guys' careers.

Did I have to say all of that, or could I not have just said what I said earlier? I figured the message would be easily translated that we think players that play for Texas colleges are completely awesome...and there's lot of Ut fans here who are STILL bringing up the Texans passing on DJ. What fould did I commit again?

People who are pee'od about what I said are (drum roll, please) UT fans.

I'm not an A&M fan. Not a UT fan. As long as USC or any Florida teams don't win, I could care about who is the big dog on the college scene every year. I rooted for UT when they beat USC, but that's only because I dislike USC. Had Rutgers played USC in the Rose Bowl, I'd have rooted for Rutgers. Had the anti-Christ played against USC, I'd root for AC.

jonO_miller
11-11-2006, 11:23 AM
I still think we would've taken Demeco if we did infact draft DJ. I mean could you imagen our front 7 in the coming years..... WOOO we would be pretty nasty in run stopping and blitzing. If we had DeMeco and DJ.

nunusguy
11-11-2006, 11:32 AM
DJ is a OLB.
And a 4-3 OLB. If one is fair and logical, that should really let Casserly and
Capers off for passing on DJ last year because OLBs in the 3-4 that Capers
operated were almost always taken in the Draft as "tweener" DEs because
of their pass rushing skills. That's a skill which is critical for 3-4 OLBs, but
not 4-3 OLBs. Plenty of other very good reasons to pile on the past regime
for some of their Draft choices.

GP
11-11-2006, 11:33 AM
I still think we would've taken Demeco if we did infact draft DJ. I mean could you imagen our front 7 in the coming years..... WOOO we would be pretty nasty in run stopping and blitzing. If we had DeMeco and DJ.

It'd be a good LB crew.

But who would be the star? Demeco. No bones about it.

The guy is electric. The whole world of sports analysis says so, and it's an across-the-board agreement that Demeco is the real deal.

Not saying DJ is bad. Just saying that let's understand that Demeco is perhaps the leader of the defense...and he's creeping up on being the leader of this whole team, IMO.

ComstockLode
11-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Demeco in the middle, with DJ on the outside would give us alot of talent for the future on defense.

Travis Johnson has 11 tackles on the season with no other stat to add to that....

Wolf
11-11-2006, 11:38 AM
I agree with that.. I liked DJ's speed and I am just shooting from the hip here and haven't seen any stats or anything,(incase orr or wong or whoever) but this team needs some speed at LB. I know Shockey is a good TE, but he frustrated me last week ..

I would have liked DJ's speed at the outside and demeco's nose for the ball on the inside..

on a side note , I honestly haven't watched college football this season .. any LB's coming out worth mentioning ?

Carr Bombed
11-11-2006, 12:26 PM
If we drafted DJ we would not have Demeco, its as simple as that.

When Kubiak got here he saw a team filled with holes, were not spending a 1st pick on LB and then spending the 33rd pick on a LB. Its either DJ or DeMeco, can't have both.... I'm glad we passed on DJ and now have DeMeco. Demeco is smarter and has better instincts, that goes a long way at the MLB position.

DJ is a good player, but DeMeco is better and will be a fixture and leader on our defense for years to come

Vinny
11-11-2006, 12:36 PM

I dissagree completely. DJ would not have been the mlb in a 3-4 and we clearly were after someone in the middle. I posted several times in the pre-camp that Sam Cowart was past his prime and I doubted would make the team. Other than that, we didn't have a MLB candidate on this roster...not one that was halfway decent. DJ is an OLB only.

Kaiser Toro
11-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Had the anti-Christ played against USC, I'd root for AC.

So you will be rooting for Notre Dame on Nov 25th?

alphajoker
11-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Just a drive-by attempt at humor.

Lighten up, will ya'? Man, I didn't know this place had to have the same atmosphere as an emergecny room waiting area. Sheesh.....

That was saying exactly what it is: Outside of Texas (The State, not the college) we're really not seeing any specials on ESPN about how Derrick Johnson is changing the faceof the LB position. I think Demeco is getting more pub than DJ has ever received. One guy is being considered as the steal of the draft, the obvious Defensive Rookie of the Year, and is right up there with the rest of the LEAGUE'S LBers in terms of tackles. ANd the other guy is a virtual no-name outside of UT fans who follow their guys' careers.

Did I have to say all of that, or could I not have just said what I said earlier? I figured the message would be easily translated that we think players that play for Texas colleges are completely awesome...and there's lot of Ut fans here who are STILL bringing up the Texans passing on DJ. What fould did I commit again?

People who are pee'od about what I said are (drum roll, please) UT fans.

I'm not an A&M fan. Not a UT fan. As long as USC or any Florida teams don't win, I could care about who is the big dog on the college scene every year. I rooted for UT when they beat USC, but that's only because I dislike USC. Had Rutgers played USC in the Rose Bowl, I'd have rooted for Rutgers. Had the anti-Christ played against USC, I'd root for AC.

My apologies if I got pee'od. But my intention wasn't to start a UT homer discussion. I was simply trying to state that in the 2005 Draft, DJ was projected as the all around best athelete coming out of the draft and we passed on him for a DT. Regardless of whether he was from UT. I get what you mean now, but just understand that I wasn't trying to bring up something from the past that will never change.

Carr Bombed
11-11-2006, 12:44 PM
I dissagree completely. DJ would not have been the mlb in a 3-4 and we clearly were after someone in the middle. I posted several times in the pre-camp that Sam Cowart was past his prime and I doubted would make the team. Other than that, we didn't have a MLB candidate on this roster...not one that was halfway decent. DJ is an OLB only.

So was DeMeco when we drafted him (olb), until he came into camp and blew the coaches away.....he wasnt drafted to be the MLB

That is why if we took DJ, we would no have DeMeco.....you can't have both

We didn't even want DeMeco....we wanted DeAngelo, that fell through, we are really lucky it did.

DeMeco has already pretty much match DJ's rookie stats half way through the season (Yes I know he's a MLB, but its still impressive)

If DJ was on this team, we would of went CB, S, or OL.....maybe RB with the #2 pick not LB

Vinny
11-11-2006, 12:46 PM
So was DeMeco when we drafted him, until he came into camp and blew the coaches away.....he wasnt drafted to be the MLB

That is why if we took DJ, we would no have DeMeco.....you can't have both

We didn't even want DeMeco....we wanted DeAngelo, that fell through, we are really lucky it did.

DeMeco has already pretty much match DJ's rookie stats half way through the season (Yes I know he's a MLB, but its still impressive)
Personally, I think he was slated there for the entire time...it was just a matter of making sure he could handle it. If you want a dynamite front-7...you need more than one or two standouts. Drafting DJ would have had zero to do with picking up a talent like Ryans slipping to the second round of the draft....especially since our LB crew was one of the worst in the entire NFL. You gotta find 3 starters worth a darn...not one.

Carr Bombed
11-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Personally, I think he was slated there for the entire time...it was just a matter of making sure he could handle it. If you want a dynamite front-7...you need more than one or two standouts. Drafting DJ would have had zero to do with picking up a talent like Ryans slipping to the second round of the draft....especially since our LB crew was one of the worst in the entire NFL. You gotta find 3 starters worth a darn...not one.

With DJ on this team, the team has bigger needs. Yes you need more than one good LB, but you also need more than one good CB, more than one good OLman or just one good, OLman, or safety. If DJ was on this team there would have been a bigger needs and with DeMeco now on this team thats the reason why we are drafting a CB, RB high next year. Moving from a 3-4 (a lb driven defense) to a 4-3 with DJ we wouldn't have a big need for DeMeco at least not this year.

Vinny
11-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Bigger needs than an improved front 7? Hardly. If we had DJ we still had crap at mlb and crap at the sam. Having a decent will backer doesn't make up for having really bad mlb and sam backers.

Carr Bombed
11-11-2006, 01:18 PM
DeMeco wasn't drafted to be the starter, atleast not at MLB. The Texans were statified with the FA they signed to be the starter. The Vets they signed went down with injuries, DeMeco steps up......all this happend after the draft. They also made moves to improve the front seven, without DeMeco..........Mario Williams.

With DJ we would not have DeMeco, so the question is which one would you rather have DJ or DeMeco

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
11-11-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't believe the Texans drafted DeMeco with the intention to keep him at OLB. I think they envisioned him as a MLB from the get-go.

Wolf
11-11-2006, 01:24 PM
not sure CB.. I can't imagine the Texans NOT expecting Ryans to start.. after all 1st pick in 2nd round with the defense we had(or have)?

Vinny
11-11-2006, 01:26 PM
DeMeco wasn't drafted to be the starter, atleast not at MLB. The Texans were statified with the FA they signed to be the starter. The Vets they signed went down with injuries, DeMeco steps up......all this happend after the draft. They also made moves to improve the front seven, without DeMeco..........Mario Williams.

With DJ we would not have DeMeco, so the question is which one would you rather have DJ or DeMecoCowart was a journeyman "plan - b" low cost FA signing becuase we had no NFL caliber 4-3 mlb...none. Nobody on this roster was a NFL caliber MLB. Cowart was past his prime and was only a run stopper and not someone who can play in the middle full time. I think you are way off on this one. way way off. I don't even think Cowart is in the NFL today.

I think that saying you can't draft two good linebackers in two consecutive years when your lb situation is as pathetic as ours is really lacking in logic.

Carr Bombed
11-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Its a fact that DeMeco wasn't drafted to be a MLB, its a fact that he wasn't the starter before injury (he eventually would have won it through camp, but at the time wasn't the starter), its a fact that even without DJ we tried to move from that spot and were going to pass on him, now imagine if we had DJ....I'm not lacking logic.

With our crap filled LB core you speak of....we passed on DJ, now you want me to believe with DJ, the cap dollars Greenwood takes up, Cowart signed to be a starter for this year atleast, and the nomorous back up LBs Cass has drafted for the past 4 years we would take a LB in the spot we tried to move out of when we would have had greater needs. Forget the front 7 for a sec. with DJ we would be talking about the back 4. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind if we had DJ we wouldn't have DeMeco, so were just going to have to agree to disagree

This isn't a team or defense that is one player away, it was about filling holes, without DJ there was a bigger hole at LB, with him there would be a bigger hole at CB or Safety. We plugged a hole on the line with Mario, plugged a hole at LB with DeMeco, next year we will plug a hole at CB/Safety

Vinny
11-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Your "facts" aren't that factual. To each his own.

Carr Bombed
11-11-2006, 01:52 PM
explain........

Vinny
11-11-2006, 01:53 PM
already explained.

Carr Bombed
11-11-2006, 01:54 PM
fair enough, we just agree to disagree, can't see eye to eye on everything.

Just glad we do have DeMeco and that he's playing as well as he is

Thats something everybody can agree on..........

alphajoker
11-11-2006, 02:35 PM
With DJ on this team, the team has bigger needs. Yes you need more than one good LB, but you also need more than one good CB, more than one good OLman or just one good, OLman, or safety. If DJ was on this team there would have been a bigger needs and with DeMeco now on this team thats the reason why we are drafting a CB, RB high next year. Moving from a 3-4 (a lb driven defense) to a 4-3 with DJ we wouldn't have a big need for DeMeco at least not this year.

Exactly my point of view. Would the Texans use another high draft pick on another LB or use it for another area of need? Personally, I think they would have gone for secondary help with that 2nd Rd. pick. Either which way, I'm glad it worked out for the best and we got DeMeco. That dude is a stud and can flat out play.

Wolf
11-11-2006, 02:49 PM
I know I may be in the minority, but I think we still need an upgrade at OLB. (secondary is first)

run-david-run
11-11-2006, 02:55 PM

When Kubiak got here he saw a team filled with holes, were not spending a 1st pick on LB and then spending the 33rd pick on a LB. Its either DJ or DeMeco, can't have both.... I'm glad we passed on DJ and now have DeMeco. Demeco is smarter and has better instincts, that goes a long way at the MLB position.

DJ is a good player, but DeMeco is better and will be a fixture and leader on our defense for years to come
We did draft D-linemen two years is a row in the first round, there is no guarantee we would not have drafted linebackers two years in a row. Anyway, I saw DJ play agains the Broncos and he was explosive, had some great plays and I would love to have him along side DeMeco.

run-david-run
11-11-2006, 02:57 PM
not sure CB.. I can't imagine the Texans NOT expecting Ryans to start.. after all 1st pick in 2nd round with the defense we had(or have)?

Why not, the second overall pick dosnt start? :tease:

Carr Bombed
11-11-2006, 03:07 PM
We did draft D-linemen two years is a row in the first round, there is no guarantee we would not have drafted linebackers two years in a row. Anyway, I saw DJ play agains the Broncos and he was explosive, had some great plays and I would love to have him along side DeMeco.

Travis Johnson isn't what you would call a impact player and moving from a 3-4 to a 4-3 we had a huge gaping hole at DE, Mario or not we were taking a DE very high

run-david-run
11-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Travis Johnson isn't what you would call a impact player and moving from a 3-4 to a 4-3 we had a huge gaping hole at DE, Mario or not we were taking a DE very high

And are you saying we dont have a huge whole at OLB? You could make the argument that having Weaver at SDE and Peek/Babin at WDE along with a better linebacking corp would be better then what we currently have right now. However, Mario's potential means I wouldnt trade him for anybody, just pointing out our entire front 7 needs a lot of work...thanks CC.

thunderkyss
11-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Why not, the second overall pick dosnt start? :tease:

I think what they are saying is that no one thought Demeco would start at MLB, because of the extra responsibilities of that position, and the leadership skills it demands.

I certainly wouldn't have slotted 'Meco as the MLB....

If we had DJ........ it would depend on who the stronger player was that was left on the board.

Since we picked 'Meco, I've got to believe we still would have drafted 'Meco.

Had D'Angelo Williams been there, we'd have drafted D'Angelo... & that's all there is to it.......

BPA

shinerbock_girl
11-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Well i'm just glad we have Meco...And i will be proud to be wearing my #59 Jersey next Sunday....:marionaner: