PDA

View Full Version : Mayhem in the NCAA (guns&football)

Dr. Toro
11-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Given the recent events at Miami, I think a discussion of the shocking amount of thuggish or outlawish behavior in college athletics and guns in sports is necessary. The senseless death of Bryan Pata (and Dennehy a few years back) has made these issues extremely relevant, in my opinion.

I've become really concerned about all these football players with handguns. First there was the UT thing (ridiculous and unacceptable), this Cooper/Meriweather shooting, and now Pata's death. What's goin on? Why?

This article in the Boston paper is very telling, it's a list of every professional athlete with a concealed handgun license:

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/articles/2006/11/10/11_10_06_guns/

There's a heackuvalotta guys on that list who can afford bodyguards, and a vastly disproportionate amount of football players there. I don't intend to disparage anyone or any program, nor do I desire to ignite a 2nd Ammendment debate. I just don't see any reason these young men should be packing, it certainly doesn't make them safer.

Dr. Toro
11-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Here's their indepth followup:

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/articles/2006/11/10/many_players_regard_firearm_as_a_necessity/

kastofsna
11-10-2006, 12:31 PM
it seems a lot of young black guys from the bad neighborhoods are going to have guns, regardless of whether they're an athlete or go to a big college or not.

real
11-10-2006, 12:48 PM
it seems a lot of young black guys from the bad neighborhoods are going to have guns, regardless of whether they're an athlete or go to a big college or not.

Yeah...

I don't think being an athlete has much to do with it.....

Dr. Toro
11-10-2006, 12:50 PM

What I'm saying is, "why are college students from the bad neighborhoods packing" or "why are millionaires from the bad neighborhoods packing", it doesn't make sense to me.

real
11-10-2006, 12:57 PM
What I'm saying is, "why are college students from the bad neighborhoods packing" or "why are millionaires from the bad neighborhoods packing", it doesn't make sense to me.

The question is too broad to come up with a single answer....

And the question is kind of misleading...

You have to ask yourself...

What are the demographics of most pro football and basketball players ?

What kind of environment do most of them come from ?

Then throw in millions of Dollars....

kastofsna
11-10-2006, 12:58 PM
yeah that's something that won't be solved on a football forum.