PDA

View Full Version : OK: Seasons half over: What do we need in 2007?

Wolf
11-06-2006, 07:47 PM
I think the defense will improve with more experience in the scheme but...however.. I think we still need a CB and at least an upgrade at LB. We need more speed in that department.. Defensive line, I am still undecided, because I see talent,but not sure if it is the players or coaching scheme.

offensively... upgrade on right side of line. lots of money over there for results

oh and ST... Brown has disappointed me and Stanley, well he is good at high punts w/ not much of a return but indecisive on that one.(sorry power dragon)

returns.. mathis needs to get healthy

Hottoddie
11-06-2006, 08:56 PM
1) My first choice would have to be a top notch CB to pair with Dunta.

2) My second choice would be the best OLB available. If Wong can return to form & Ranier can handle the job, then I might look at my third choice here.

3) Next up, I'd take a look at the available FS's, or find a CB that can be switched to FS.

4) I'd be on the lookout for a steal at RB here, or the best available WR.

5) Here, I'd have to look at the big uglies. I believe that Spencer & Winston are our bookend tackles starting next year, but we need help & youth at RG & center. We also need a big, strong DT that can contain the run & consistently collapse the middle. Maddox has shown promise & may prove to be the answer to our prayers. If not, I'd take the best available DT, RG, or center.

6) Since the battle is won in the trenches, I'd use this pick on another big uglie.

7) Perhaps a kicker here?

ArlingtonTexan
11-06-2006, 09:04 PM
I just can't handle another year of looking to the next (I am 4 complete years into that act). Honestly, with 8 games left the "needs" can changed greatly. I want to watch some things develop (or not) before looking to the future. In some ways, Texans fans have been asked to look at potential and the future too much versus what is actually being produced.

Generally, the team needs an overall talent up grade at most if not all positions, but my perception of some say RB for example (what if Lundy plays well over the 2nd half of the season) can change greatly. Personally, I am in wanting to evaluate what I see before worrying and hoping about next year. Otherwise I am going to go to heavy :shots:

Hottoddie
11-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Do the Texans have 2 Fourth Round picks next year?

Oops. :embarrass

K.D.
11-06-2006, 09:17 PM
I'm more interested in the free agent department.

1. Briggs should be highly considered. Good football instincts.

2. This could seal da' deal for the D-Line. Jared Allen from the chiefs. Hi-motor guy with some good skills. Opposite of Mario, man c'mon u gotta luv it:redtowel:

3. Samuels might be asking for to much, but if we could get him OK, but if not we pick one up in the draft.

Last but not least, might hurt some feelings but don't expect our team to draft a RB in the first round, it's just not happening. It may not happen in the second round neither, but it depends on who is on the board. As for drafting a RB in later rounds, keeps your eyes and ears focused on the kid fron Arkansas, if he declares this kid could be our guy.

TexansSeminole
11-06-2006, 09:23 PM
We need secondary players. Buchanon was released and the only corners worth playing are Faggins, Sanders, and Robinson. We need more players at the position and we need better ones. We need an upgrade to the Earl, Brown, and Simmons combination we have at safety real bad. I think a FS is the better choice right now but a SS would help as well.

Top Corners: Leon Hall, Michigan. Daymeion Hughes, California. Aaron Ross, Texas. Dwight Lowery, San Jose St. Marcus McCauley, Fresno St.
Top Safeties: LaRon Landry, LSU. Michael Griffin, Texas. Brandon Meriweather(sp?), Miami. John Wendling, Wyoming. Aaron Rouse, Virginia Tech.

We also need linebackers. Greenwood can't stop the run. He has the speed but he just can't do what we need against the run so I say by next year he is gone. Orr, as we all know, needs a replacement and we also have Wong. DeMeco is obviously the rising star in our linebacking corps. We are, overall, pretty weak at the position.

Top Linebackers: Patrick Willis, Ole Miss. Buster Davis, Florida State. David Harris, Michigan. Tony Taylor, Georgia. Paul Posluszny, Penn St.

This is just defense...we also need alot of offensive help, but not as much as defense.

Wharton
11-06-2006, 09:24 PM
One of the biggest problems I see in our defense is tackling. I think we need a big hitter the likes of Ronnie Lott, John Lynch, or Ray Lewis. Granted, Ryans usually brings a load and the pop that Earl put on Shockey yestarday was sweet. We need somebody with a nasty streak. An enforcer.

:twocents:

Second Honeymoon
11-06-2006, 09:25 PM
1st Round - Cornerback
2nd Round - Best Safety or OLB available
3rd Round - OLB if Safety taken in 2nd Round
4th Round - OL preferably Guard for max value at this point in draft
5th Round - Best player available
6th Round - Best player available

Who knows where we are picking in the 1st round so here is a quick Top10 players list based on value as well as the Texans' specific needs.

1 - Joe Thomas OT - Wisconsin
2 - Gaines Adamas DE - Clemson
3 - Quentin Moses LB/DE - Georgia
4 - Adrian Peterson RB - Oklahoma
5 - Levi Brown OT - Penn State
6 - Lamar Woodley LB/DE - Michigan
7 - Leon Hall CB - Michigan
8 - LaRon Landry S - LSU
9 - Daymeion Hughes CB - California
10 - Quinn Pitcock, DT, Ohio St.

Part of me thinks the Texans should draft Calvin Johnson as high as #3 but he would be a luxury item ala Reggie Bush. We need to get better on defense and on our interior line play.

Let me add that if the Texans are in a position to draft B.Quinn, Brian Brohm, or Calvin Johnson they should trade down. Many teams would pay handsomely for the chance to move up to get any of those 3 elite prospects.

Doug From The Woodlands

TexansSeminole
11-06-2006, 09:28 PM
You left out Rufus Alexander, Oklahoma.

I didn't leave him out I just did 5...but yea I think he deserves to be in there too.

Hulk75
11-06-2006, 09:35 PM
I dont know all the FAs but my guy would be Lance Briggs...........

1) A RB with some speed and some power! (Adrian Peterson) I would trade up to get a guy like that.

phan1
11-06-2006, 10:08 PM
As week as we are in the secondary, it'd be nice to have a good OLB I think. It'd really help us out if we had a fast, in your face guy there. We also got to pick up a corner along the way.

On offense, it's time to start building that Denver-style Oline. Not sure if Kubiak can repicate what Gibbs has done, but we definitely need some Olineman (after 5 years still!).

wolf123
11-06-2006, 10:09 PM

1) A RB with some speed and some power! (Adrian Peterson) I would trade up to get a guy like that.

I agree with Briggs, but I wouldn't trade up for anyone in the 1st round this upcoming draft, especially adrian who's had 3 injuries in 3 years. The fact is, we will be picking somewhere low in the draft and will get a good talent at that pick without having to move up. Also, losing a pick or two in order to move up within the first would not be worth the loss of pick...ie, wouldn't be getting our money's worth.

TexansSeminole
11-06-2006, 10:11 PM
I agree with Briggs, but I wouldn't trade up for anyone in the 1st round this upcoming draft, especially adrian who's had 3 injuries in 3 years. The fact is, we will be picking somewhere low in the draft and will get a good talent at that pick without having to move up. Also, losing a pick or two in order to move up within the first would not be worth the loss of pick...ie, wouldn't be getting our money's worth.

Agreed.

wolf123
11-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Now if we picked up Briggs and Nate Clements in the offseason, going after a stud RB or Calvin Johnson would be great, while picking up a FS or OLB in the 2nd and 3rd. Or we could trade down and see if Landry falls to pick 16 or so and try and pick up another pick or two.

TexansSeminole
11-06-2006, 10:21 PM
Now if we picked up Briggs and Nate Clements in the offseason, going after a stud RB or Calvin Johnson would be great, while picking up a FS or OLB in the 2nd and 3rd. Or we could trade down and see if Landry falls to pick 16 or so and try and pick up another pick or two.

If we are going safety in the first round I don't think we will trade down. I would bet that Landry will be hone by the 16th pick. Griffin will probably be gone b4 the 24th.

dat_boy_yec
11-06-2006, 10:28 PM
What about Cato June. Wasn't he a FA that was signed to a 1yr. tender. I think he should be considered as well. Anyways I think a ball-hawking safety would be the most useful for us. As he would be able to help out in various areas in our secondary. I've heard Landry has good ball-hawking skills, but also M. Griffin from Texas looks real solid as well. Thoughts?

wolf123
11-06-2006, 10:41 PM
What about Cato June. Wasn't he a FA that was signed to a 1yr. tender. I think he should be considered as well. Anyways I think a ball-hawking safety would be the most useful for us. As he would be able to help out in various areas in our secondary. I've heard Landry has good ball-hawking skills, but also M. Griffin from Texas looks real solid as well. Thoughts?

The fact is both safeties would be great. Griffin is very solid, but Landry is exceptional in comparision. Griffin is much better on ST though.

Cato might be a good acquisition, but he is a little undersized and may just be a better Greenwood, and a product of a finese IND D. But that's just an opinion, and could be very wrong.

Scottyboy
11-06-2006, 11:57 PM
At the very least, the bare min.... 3 new DB's !
Draft, FA's, me, anyone but these freakin guys. Earl looks good!

Osso
11-07-2006, 08:38 AM
#1 best OL available
#2 and #3 CB best available
#4 and #5 best OLB available
#6 and #7 best OL available

Sign the best CB free agent
Sign the best OL free agent

Thats all we need

swoldier
11-07-2006, 09:06 AM
we need a decent draft pick so i say dont go too crazy with the W's and build for 07'. I would also think we would need an LB,CB,DE,RB,S, and some OL looking at the prospects and if we get a good pick we could definitely manuever our way to another stellar draft class and fill the holes in our team pretty decently. Next year i beleive we can make a run for the Wild Card if we address our weaknesses with some young talent:francis: :francis: :francis:

TheOgre
11-07-2006, 09:07 AM
1. A top-notch O-lineman - We have yet to spend a 1st round selection on one. Isn't it time?
2. An NFL quality starting CB - perhaps we can get one in FA.
3. A star RB - we don't have one on the team this season, and DD's injury looks potentially career ending (you could argue he isn't even a star RB either).
4. OLB's - we need to upgrade in both of these positions. Greenwood and Orr just aren't getting it done.
5. Safety upgrade - take your pick if it is SS, FS, or both.

These are the positions I think need attention sooner rather than later. This looks like two years worth of drafting and signs to fill these needs adequately. Perhaps we could add an OLB, a starting DB, and either an O-lineman or RB this coming year and reassess our needs in 2008.

Marcus
11-07-2006, 10:19 AM
I'd say draft a corner in the 1st, and then move Dunta to FS. Kills two birds with one stone.

Then draft an OLB with the 2nd pick, and an OL with the 3rd.

real
11-07-2006, 10:20 AM
I'd say draft a corner in the 1st, and then move Dunta to FS.

Why does everyone want to move d-rob to safety??

I absolutely hate that idea...

HJam72
11-07-2006, 10:22 AM
I'd say draft a corner in the 1st, and then move Dunta to FS. Kills two birds with one stone.

Then draft an OLB with the 2nd pick, and an OL with the 3rd.

That could work, but I'd still say we needed another good CB.

Buckle
11-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Instead of drafting a corner and moving Robinson to safety why not get a cb and LEAVE Robinson at cb that way we have 2 good cb's instead of one! We can get a quality safety in the 2nd round. Maybe Griffin or Meriweather will fall to the 2nd...One can wish right?? And then in the other rounds look at LB, OLine, DLine, and more secondary help. If we could only get 1 high profile FA I would like us to go after Briggs, and then go after Leon Hall in the 1st, and Safety in the 2nd or BPA if there are no safety's worth a 2nd round pick on the board.

real
11-07-2006, 10:27 AM
D.Rob is too little to play FS....

Yeah I said it....

HJam72
11-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Apparently FSs do more hitting and are bigger than I thought.

Brandon420tx
11-07-2006, 10:38 AM
Why does everyone want to move d-rob to safety??

I absolutely hate that idea...

Because Dunta was pretty good at safety (I think Highschool, but may have been College too), He'll have more field vision, and despite his size he hits hard.

*Must Have* Clements in FA, I'll settle for Samuel. I would like to draft either a safety or a CB in the first round, and depending on what we get via FA and what our first pick is, then decide to move Dunta or not, Glenn Earl and CC need to compete for the SS spot, and that spot only (With Glenn Earl winning). Second Round, I would like to get an interior lineman, more specifically a great run blocking guard, but I wouldn't mind an interior lineman. 3rd round, Best Outside LB available, 4th Maybe a reciever or RB, but BPA. 5th, 6th, and 7th+ = BPA. With a kicker or punter somewhere in those picks.

TEXANS84
11-07-2006, 10:39 AM
OLB/Cornerback/Runningback

I used to be high on Orr, but it seems to me that he's more suited to play a 3-4 OLB than the 4-3. He looks lost out there at times.

real
11-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Because Dunta was pretty good at safety, He'll have more field vision, and despite his size he hits hard.

Dunta is 5-10....174.....

If they put D.Rob at safety I will lose all respect for this coaching staff....

And you don't know that he'll have more field vision....and hitting hard doesn't have anything to do with being big enough....

TheOgre
11-07-2006, 11:01 AM
If you could only fill 3 of our needs in this offseason, which three would they be?

For me it would be O-line, RB, and CB. OLB would get honorable mention.

Brandon420tx
11-07-2006, 11:03 AM

And you don't know that he'll have more field vision....and hitting hard doesn't have anything to do with being big enough....

I had better field vision when I could see the whole field in front of me and not have to have my back to the QB as I stayed man to man with WR. He has to be better over the top then CC come on!

real
11-07-2006, 11:07 AM
I had better field vision when I could see the whole field in front of me and not have to have my back to the QB as I stayed man to man with WR. He has to be better over the top then CC come on!

....I thought you meant he'd have better field vision than the guys we have back there now....I didn't know you meant he'd have better vision than he does at his current position....But yeah that's a given....

And I think he's be a better ball hawk than C.C, but I think there are too many reasons to leave him at corner...JMO....

yourfavoritetexan42
11-07-2006, 02:53 PM
tom zbikowski out of notre dame. this kid is a player. big players make big plays in big games.

SESupergenius
11-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Top of my list would be a CB, then OL. We are short one on the DL OLD and backs.

TxAg
11-07-2006, 02:59 PM
I say we try to get Adrian Peterson if he comes out and we have a chance to get him. He would be awsome for us and our system because he had good vision, very strong and also has breakaway speed.

Frills
11-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Rb-ad

TexansSeminole
11-07-2006, 03:06 PM

Exactly...he will get blocked out of alot of plays...he is too small to shed blocks and do the things that safties do on most plays.

whiskeyrbl
11-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Alot is going to depend on players we have and their status for next year. Lets say DD,Spencer and Mathis and Payne are back next year ready to go. I would look D first and foremost. Now depending on what is our most glaring need at the end of the year RD. 1 & 2, I would pick a db,or olb. My preference would be to get La Ron Landry in the 1st, and Pusluszny in the 2nd. If he falls to the second. If not I would take Alexander from OU here. In the 3rd. I would look at Kenny Irons at RB, in the 4th I would look at an OL. For the 5th I would look at the fullback from Rutgers, can't remember his name right now. In the 6th I would take Crosby PK from Colorado. In the 7th i would take bpa for the practice squad.

HeartofHouston
11-07-2006, 04:05 PM
I Say we overload on Defense..

1 - Best Safety or Cornerback Available
2 - Best Cornerback or Safety Available
3 - Best Linebacker Available
(Even it's ILB cause we could put DeMeco back on the outside in his natural position - imagine how better he could be)
Day Two
HB, OL and DT

Texan_Bill
11-07-2006, 05:17 PM
I Say we overload on Defense..

1 - Best Safety or Cornerback Available
2 - Best Cornerback or Safety Available
3 - Best Linebacker Available
(Even it's ILB cause we could put DeMeco back on the outside in his natural position - imagine how better he could be)
Day Two
HB, OL and DT

As a person that beleives that Defense wins championships, I couldn't agree with you any more. You can win with a dominant defense and a servicable O. See Baltimore Ravens.

AggieTexanFan
11-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Address the Line and Defensive side of the ball

here's a look at what is coming in 07 in those areas

Offensive Line
Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin (6-6, 313) -Huge, quick and athletic with a long wingspan.

--Highest ranked OT in the coming draft

Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan (6-5, 300) -He's a former tight end who has developed into a natural left tackle. Staley brings incredible footwork, athleticism and agility to the position.

--might be a perfect fit for what Kubes is looking for in a OT

Defensive Backs
Leon Hall, CB, Michigan (5-11, 193)-Tough customer who also shows very good anticipation and awareness in coverage. Hall leads the Wolverines with three interceptions.

LaRon Landry, DB, LSU (6-1, 205)-Four-year starter who has proven to be Mr. Reliable throughout his career. Landry leads LSU with 25 solo tackles

Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno St. (6-0, 200) -He has the size and speed (4.33 40-yard dash) with outstanding coverage technique.

Daymeion Hughes, CB, California (6-0, 187) -Big-play cornerback for the Golden Bears. Finished strong in 2005 and it has carried over to this season. Hughes has seven interceptions in eight games, which is tied for second in Division I-A.

Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame (5-11, 212)-An aggressive ball hawk who brings a swagger to the Irish's defense. A true play-maker who also excels as a punt returner. --could be a nice hard hitting combo next to Earl and lord knows we need a PR

--All look like soild young DBs

Defensive End
Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson (6-4, 260) -Flashes dominating ability with his athleticism and quickness. Adams leads the Tigers with 9 sacks

--Yes, I say why not get two young promising DEs. Pair him opposite Williams and have a pass rush from hell

LB
Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn St. (6-1, 235)-A productive and consistent player who studies and prepares as thoroughly as anybody.

--Maybe he will fall in the draft and we can get him late

Buster Davis, LB, Florida State (5-10, 242) -Rock-solid player who is a shorter version of Ray Lewis.

I say we also try and find a Home-Run-Hitter in a Slot WR in the draft in the late rounds, much like the Saints did with Colston

Texan_Bill
11-07-2006, 06:49 PM
After reading the experts and their rants on some other threads, we need (in no specific order):
a) A new coach
b) A new coaching staff
c) A new Offense
d) A new Defense
e) New Special Teams
f) New Owner
g) New PA at Reliant

All that set for the 2007 draft, more to follow in 2008

I am pretty sure however, that everyone is okay with our cheerleaders.

Brandon420tx
11-07-2006, 07:06 PM
I hope we have a draft day like this year, if your ever bored go read the day 1 draft commentary thread.

dgar3752
11-07-2006, 07:29 PM
I really like the idea of finishing what we started with our Defense.
My off season would look like this for our D

1. Sign Either Briggs or fletcher
2. Sign Either N. Clements or A. Samuel

Draft Scenario 1

rd 1. Landry FS LSU...is a ball hawk who can lay wood
rd 2. Merriweather SS Miami....hard hitting athelete
rd 3. D. Pressley DT N. Carolina St...T.johnson is garbage-payne is old
rd 4. A. Atwater ILB Clemson..could be a steal in this draft

Draft Scenario 2

rd 1. Branch DT Michigan.a beast to pair up with mario=no more Double teams
rd 2. Merriweather SS Miami..see above
rd 3. D. Pressley DT N. Carolina St..see above..would shore up d line for yrs
rd 4. A. Atwater ILB Clemson..See above

Use rds 5 and 6 for oline depth.

As far as offense goes Id look to sign a back such as M. Turner. And one or two Olineman.

TexansSeminole
11-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Defensive End
Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson (6-4, 260) -Flashes dominating ability with his athleticism and quickness. Adams leads the Tigers with 9 sacks

--Yes, I say why not get two young promising DEs. Pair him opposite Williams and have a pass rush from hell

I have been thinking about this lately, except that we have Weaver and we would have to grab Adams in the top 10 of the first round. There are too many positions we can strengthen with a quality player in the top 10, I dont think we will take Adams, even though him and Mario would make a NASTY PAIR.

Hottoddie
11-08-2006, 02:04 PM
While I like what I saw from Spencer at LT, & believe that he'll be our starting LT for the duration of his career, I also believe that we could solve our entire starting OL problem by drafting Joe Thomas & sliding Spencer over to RG. Winston should be ready to take over the RT position by next year. A starting line of:

LT: Thomas
LG: Pitts
C: Flanagan
RG: Spencer
RT: Winston

.......would look really nice. We could look for some depth, or a steal, at center in the later rounds.

canadiantexan
11-08-2006, 02:38 PM
I'd like to see us pick up...

FREE AGENTS
Lance Briggs- OLB Chicago
Asante Samuel-CB New England maybe instead Nate Clements CB BILLS if the price was right.
NFL DRAFT

Round 1)
if in the top ten-
I say we grab Gaines Adams (Clemson) or Landry (LSU)
if not in the top ten-
then I like Leon HAll (Michigan) or Branch DT (Michigan)

Round 2)
if we dont get Landry in the first then we should go Merriweather in the second. If we do get Landry then I like BPA at CB orLB (I'd love to get lamar Woodley here but he wont last this long) but I thought the same thing about Demeco

Rounds 3-7)
BPA with regards to our needs O-line, LB, DB, RB...etc

IF we can add these few key Defensive free agents early then have another good draft we could have our first winning season next year .

real
11-08-2006, 02:46 PM
I say we grab Gaines Adams (Clemson) or Landry (LSU)

Unless they play on moving Weaver to DT I seriously doubt they pick up a DE with our first pick....JMO

canadiantexan
11-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Unless they play on moving Weaver to DT I seriously doubt they pick up a DE with our first pick....JMO

I think your right about that. I just really like him he reminds me of a Jarrod Allen or Aaron Kampman type guy.

OrangeCountyTexansFan
11-08-2006, 03:02 PM
1. A top-notch O-lineman - We have yet to spend a 1st round selection on one. Isn't it time?
3. A star RB - we don't have one on the team this season, and DD's injury looks potentially career ending (you could argue he isn't even a star RB either).
4. OLB's - we need to upgrade in both of these positions. Greenwood and Orr just aren't getting it done.
Ditto.

TexansSeminole
11-08-2006, 03:04 PM
I think your right about that. I just really like him he reminds me of a Jarrod Allen or Aaron Kampman type guy.

Yea, he really is a great player.

FanFromCali
11-08-2006, 10:01 PM
The needs are pretty obvious. We need OL (preferably a G or C but could take a natural LT and move a player to G), DB (S is the biggest need but another CB would not hurt either), LB, and RB.

Our biggest need is at DB but unless it is a sure-fire top-ten prospect, the team should wait until round two where we could still get a good one at a better value. As far as LB, there are a lot of good potential FAs including Cato, Briggs, Diggs, A. Thomas, Fletcher, Godfrey, and Morris. There is a pretty good chance that a couple should be available so the team could fill a need there.

That leaves OL or RB available for a first round pick. As much as a certain kid out of Oklahoma would look great as a Texan it is well beyond time to address the OL. I say Joe Thomas out of Wisconsin should be the pick. Round two would be a DB and the rest would be for best available.

Jwwillis
11-09-2006, 03:32 AM
I say we try to get Adrian Peterson if he comes out and we have a chance to get him. He would be awsome for us and our system because he had good vision, very strong and also has breakaway speed.

I agree we need a HB in the draft but AP out of OU is injury prone and would only come out if he was going to go high in the draft.

Dont know how many picks we have or cap room or how well Winston and Spencer develope mentally this season or who will be the best athlete when our turns come, but here goes.

1.LB
2.CB
3.HB
4.OT
5.KR/PR/3WR

I think we should pick up HB/LB in FA and trade down for linemen (both sides) and D-2ndary. Load up on picks for '08

brewhaus
11-09-2006, 05:37 AM
I agree we need a HB in the draft but AP out of OU is injury prone and would only come out if he was going to go high in the draft.

Dont know how many picks we have or cap room or how well Winston and Spencer develope mentally this season or who will be the best athlete when our turns come, but here goes.

1.LB
2.CB
3.HB
4.OT
5.KR/PR/3WR

I think we should pick up HB/LB in FA and trade down for linemen (both sides) and D-2ndary. Load up on picks for '08

I read yesterday that the Texans are slated to pick #5 and that they would be taking Peterson. I agree with you, there is an injury prone issue.

http://www.gbnreport.com/2007projection.html

Jwwillis
11-10-2006, 02:06 AM
I read yesterday that the Texans are slated to pick #5 and that they would be taking Peterson. I agree with you, there is an injury prone issue.

http://www.gbnreport.com/2007projection.html

"VERY PRELIMINARY 2007 FIRST-ROUND PROJECTION"

I dont think even at #5 Kubiak will go for a HB with the #1 pick. Denvers highest RB pick was a 3rd rounder Portis i think. His system doesn't require a 50-million dollar back. It's been proved again with Lundy.

rafterticket
11-10-2006, 02:48 AM
When I look at this rookie class, it is not hard to believe that next year's team will be young and amazing. Hopefully, they will address our safety situation and add another corner. Are there any coming out next year? If we could also add one good offensive guard for the future, we could be sitting pretty.

I have every faith in our talent assessment people for next year. Oh, and I do not believe Charlie Casserly had a thing to do with our last draft. Let's face it - it was just too good.

infantrycak
11-10-2006, 09:00 AM

I dont think even at #5 Kubiak will go for a HB with the #1 pick. Denvers highest RB pick was a 3rd rounder Portis i think. His system doesn't require a 50-million dollar back. It's been proved again with Lundy.

Denver has in the recent past spent two 2nd round picks and a 3rd round pick on RB's. Kubiak was also trying to trade back up into the 1st round of this last draft to get DeAngelo Williams--glad that didn't happen since he was essentially offering up DeMeco and Daniels.

Runner
11-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Denver has in the recent past spent two 2nd round picks and a 3rd round pick on RB's. Kubiak was also trying to trade back up into the 1st round of this last draft to get DeAngelo Williams--glad that didn't happen since he was essentially offering up DeMeco and Daniels.

That is an interesting observation. Luck plays a big role in the draft. Had we found a taker for the trade, we might not be so ecstatic about our draft and we'd view Kubiak's player evaluation a little differently.

Also, Demeco and Daniels may have gone to teams where they wouldn't see as much playing time as they do now and they may not be as effective and recognized.

It's a crapshoot, and all of the draft analysis in hindsight by the armchair experts really carries less weight than dumb luck plays in the real world.

painekiller
11-12-2006, 02:59 AM

Portis was a second round pick. Many here were upset at the time that the Texans used the 50th pick on Pitts when Portis was considered the top player on the board, Denver took Portis 51st. What a difference that pick could have been.

mancunian
11-12-2006, 05:06 AM

theres a few guys at Chicago that are FA this year. Briggs, Safety Mike Brown. They also have a big bruiser of a back called Adrian Peterson.......

It would cost a lot of dosh for Briggs - if he hits FA he'll be one of the bigger draws.

Jwwillis
11-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Portis was a second round pick. Many here were upset at the time that the Texans used the 50th pick on Pitts when Portis was considered the top player on the board, Denver took Portis 51st. What a difference that pick could have been.

Thanks for the clairification from everybody on Portis being a #2. However, I stick by my guns and say Kubiak will not get a HB with the 5th overall.

Texizgreat
11-13-2006, 10:32 PM
I personally think we will be picking at 10..... I that case I would go with Irons (rb)

Hopefully Trade down. Would a # 10 be worth New Englands # 29 and 30?

real
11-14-2006, 09:26 AM
I personally think we will be picking at 10..... I that case I would go with Irons (rb)

Hopefully Trade down. Would a # 10 be worth New Englands # 29 and 30?

If we picked Kenny Irons with the tenth overall pick I'd slap my momma...

And Thats assuming an awful lot that NE will have the 29th and 30th pick... That means you expect Seattle and NE to finish pretty well this year...We'll see about that....

real
11-14-2006, 09:46 AM
I like two prospects from Florida in the second or third rd:

Reggie Nelson FS can hit and cover...6'1" 193 lbs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRW3JFaMN_A) same game...Reciever gets scared(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3o2ULj5IsQ)

And Earl Everret OLB very athletic and big ....6'3" 234 lbs
(http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?year=2005&sub=team&bio=everett.html)

Two SEC products...

Good site for other defensive highlights: http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/videoD.html

HOU-TEX
11-14-2006, 10:11 AM
I like two prospects from Florida in the second or third rd:

Reggie Nelson FS can hit and cover...6'1" 193 lbs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRW3JFaMN_A) same game...Reciever gets scared(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3o2ULj5IsQ)

And Earl Everret OLB very athletic and big ....6'3" 234 lbs
(http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?year=2005&sub=team&bio=everett.html)

Two SEC products...

Good site for other defensive highlights: http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/videoD.html

Not to say he's not a good player, but the clips don't really show anything exceptional. IMO, a blindside hit isn't something any other DB can't do. Like I said, he might be outstanding. It's just the clips provided don't really justify he's better.

real
11-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Not to say he's not a good player, but the clips don't really show anything exceptional. IMO, a blindside hit isn't something any other DB can't do. Like I said, he might be outstanding. It's just the clips provided don't really justify he's better.

I know.....

But those were the only clips I found....I'm sure he has other highlights...

But He is an outstanding FS...

HOU-TEX
11-14-2006, 10:31 AM
I know.....

But those were the only clips I found....I'm sure he has other highlights...

But He is an outstanding FS...

Cool. What do you think of Aaron Ross from Texas? He's had a good year.

real
11-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Cool. What do you think of Aaron Ross from Texas? He's had a good year.

I like Aaron Ross too...Im not sure how his game translates to the next level though....

He'll need some good coaching, because right now he's relying on physical prowess and his technique is iffy...

But that can be said about a lot of players....

threetoedpete
11-14-2006, 11:41 AM
I like Aaron Ross too...Im not sure how his game translates to the next level though....

He'll need some good coaching, because right now he's relying on physical prowess and his technique is iffy...

But that can be said about a lot of players....

I agrree with all of that. Easy to be a fan and get locked on to guys on one of your favorite teams. Texas DBs are way over rated this year. JMHO.

wolf123
11-14-2006, 12:08 PM
I agrree with all of that. Easy to be a fan and get locked on to guys on one of your favorite teams. Texas DBs are way over rated this year. JMHO.

I completely agree. I thought Ross was pretty good, but he did get owned by almost every WR on the Kansas St. starting lineup. Yes, its ownly one game, but it did show some possible flaw in his game, or just an off night. Griffin, FS, has some skills and should be looked at. And I also agree that Nelson's pretty good and should be looked at in the 2nd or 3rd, but if we look at S in the 1st, Landry(LSU) is the way to go. He has looked very solid and usually exceptional this entire season. If anyone caught his last game, the kid was EVERYWHERE. He blitzed from a fairly deep FS starting position to slice right threw the Alabama front line and straight to a sack on the QB. It was an amazing hit. He;s also got some serious talent in the coverage department IMO

threetoedpete
11-14-2006, 12:20 PM

These are the positions I think need attention sooner rather than later. This looks like two years worth of drafting and signs to fill these needs adequately. Perhaps we could add an OLB, a starting DB, and either an O-lineman or RB this coming year and reassess our needs in 2008.

Untill the club addresses the offensive line, whomever the quarterback/running back is, the club will struggle. It seems infathomable to me that after holding their water four four years, and yes I swallowed CC's Bosselli move hook line and sinker, that with several OLT propects on the board this year, this club will spit the bit. Not banging on Weigert or anyone else, just saying when you're one peice away from having the key to a top ten offense, you don't leave that on the ground. My opinion is that can't fix everything with one draft class. So fix at least one thing. The big thing. You guys throwing the o-lineman late into the draft, and yes I agree you shouldn't take gaurds too early, into day two the question I have for you all did any of you honestly project the New York Jets to be where they are at this point in the season with out Curtis Martin ? It was a miricle we got the two guys we got in the third round last year. Don't expect that to happen every year. You all are fixin' to live with what happens when the injury bug gets you down to the third team guys and street free agents the rest of the season.

The only two exceptions I can see for them not manuvouring to get the OLT they want, is one Gains Adams or Adam Gains whatever falls into their laps or two some will linebacker/cover corner back blows them away at the combine. Robinson just might bolt. With the third win, we just might be out of the Joe Thomas running. And Yes Dorthy, he is that good. The best Sr. free safty prospect plays at Arkansas , not LSU. Get use to some disappoint in your lives Landry fans. I got that one filed with "All Day" Peterson, ain't going to happen. Peterson is my ESPN green room led zepplin canidate for '08. JMHO.
He runs too high. He gets caught by DBs from behind in the open feild. He has a proven track record for injuries. Just too much baggage for a 4-12,5-11 club to swallow with a high number one.

And whoever you were who almost posted Darren McFaddin, RB Arkansas, you're correct sir. At this point in the '07 college season, he is whithout a doubt, bar none, the best pro RB prospect out there. Unfortunatly,
for the Texans he is only a sophmore. Rice of Rutgers fits our scheme also but he too is only a sophmore. So the big question in my mind is can Rick Smith and Kubes hold their water one more year and wait on the '08 class ?
I also agree with Wolf's logic. Kubes has proven his system many times. I'll believe he'll draft an iffy guy in the first round when I see it. This club is more than one peice away from a SB run. When they get one peice away, and the RB blows them away, then and only then will they pull the trigger. I don't know and I ain't in the loop. JMHO.

HOU-TEX
11-14-2006, 12:28 PM
And whoever you were who almost posted Darren McFaddin, RB Arkansas, you're correct sir. At this point in the '07 college season, he is whithout a doubt, bar none, the best pro RB prospect out there. Unfortunatly,
for the Texans he is only a sophmore. Rice of rutgers fits our scheme also but he too is only a sophmore. So the big question in my mind is can Richard Smith and Kubes hold their water one more year and wait on the '08 class ?
I also agree with Wolf's logic. Kubes has proven his system many times. I believe he'll draft an iffy guy in the first round when I see it. This club is more than one peice away from a SB run. One they get one peice away, and the RB blows them away, then and only then will they pull the trigger. I don't know and I ain't in the loop. JMHO.

What do y'all think of Hart from Michigan?

real
11-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Untill the club addresses the offensive line, whomever the quarterback/running back is, the club will struggle. It seems infathomable to me that after holding their water four four years, and yes I swallowed CC's Bosselli move hook line and sinker, that with several OLT propects on the board this year, this club will spit the bit. Not banging on Weigert or anyone else, just saying when you're one peice away from having the key to a top ten offense, you don't leave that on the ground. My opinion is that can't fix everything with one draft class. So fix at least one thing. The big thing. You guys throwing the o-lineman late into the draft, and yes I agree you shouldn't take gaurds too early, into day two the question I have for you all did any of you honestly project the New York Jets to be where they are at this point in the season with out Curtis Martin ? It was a miricle we got the two guys we got in the third round last year. Don't expect that to happen every year. You all are fixin' to live with what happens when the injury bug gets you down to the third team guys and street free agents.

The only two exceptions I can see for them manuvouring to get the OLT they want, is one Gains Adams or Adam Gains whatever falls into their laps or two some will linebacker/cover corner back blows them away at the combine. Robinson just might bolt. With the third win, we just might be out of the Joe Thomas running. And Yes Dorthy, he is that good. The best Sr. free safty prospect plays at Arkansas , not LSU. Get use to some disappoint in your lives Landry fans. I got that one filed with "All Day" Peterson, ain't going to happen. Peterson is my ESPN green room led zepplin canidate for '08. JMHO.
He runs too high. He gets caught by DBs from behind in the open feild. He has a proven track record for injuries. Just too much baggage for a 4-12 club to swallow with a high number one.

for the Texans he is only a sophmore. Rice of rutgers fits our scheme also but he too is only a sophmore. So the big question in my mind is can Richard Smith and Kubes hold their water one more year and wait on the '08 class ?
I also agree with Wolf's logic. Kubes has proven his system many times. I believe he'll draft an iffy guy in the first round when I see it. This club is more than one peice away from a SB run. One they get one peice away, and the RB blows them away, then and only then will they pull the trigger. I don't know and I ain't in the loop. JMHO.

Rep Comin your way...

real
11-14-2006, 12:32 PM

I like Hart, but he doesn't strike me as a big time back at the next level

HOU-TEX
11-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Rep Comin your way...

I gave him rep as well. Very nice post.:shades:

HOU-TEX
11-14-2006, 12:36 PM
I like Hart, but he doesn't strike me as a big time back at the next level

True, but niether did DD, M. Bell, T. Bell, M. Anderson, etc. Anyways, it was just a thought.:shades:

real
11-14-2006, 12:39 PM
True, but niether did DD, M. Bell, T. Bell, M. Anderson, etc. Anyways, it was just a thought.:shades:

True....

And i'm not saying he can't succeed at the next level....

But he wouldn't be a must have guy if I were drafting...

thats all i'm sayin...

Grid
11-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Offensively

we DONT need:

RB
WR
QB
TE

We are good at these positions, though RB is a bit questionable.. I am of the opinon that Gado and Lundy are solid starting backs, who are young and capable of maturing into great starting backs. Instead of replacing our RBs, we need to focus on our Oline.

Offensive Needs:

RT
RG

Center, LG, and LT are also somewhat "need" areas... though not as much. Basicly.. we need more Olinemen.. that is what it boils down to. We need more depth, and we need more starters, and we need more guys to groom. We have a patchwork Oline right now.

Defensively

We do NOT need:

<chirp chirp>

<chirp chirp>

Ok, Ill say that we do NOT need a DE.. and we do NOT need an MLB. And we could probably do without a strong saftey.

We NEED:

DT
OLB
FS
CB

My number one need coming into this offseason is a toss up between DT and OLB. OLB is a need because we arent getting pressure from our OLBs. They havent done a terrible job, but they are not a threat to opposing offenses either. We need an OLB that makes QBs cringe. I say DT is a need because we are very beat up at that position, and we lack a real playmaker to compliment Mario, TJ, and Babin/Peek. We need someone in the middle who can stuff the run, but can also collapse the pocket on passing downs, and force some double teams so that Mario is free to wreck the QB now and again.

The improved Pass rush from an OLB or DT (or both) will greatly improve our secondary.. but we could still really use a FS. Our interception numbers are pathetic.. we need a ballhawk. CB is a need..but not a pressing one. I honestly feel that with a good FS, and an improved pass rush.. Faggins could be a great CB for us. Not just "solid", not just "good".. I think he could be great.. not as great as Dunta :D..but great enough to make passing on us tough to do.

That is my take for our needs next season.

HOU-TEX
11-14-2006, 12:46 PM
True....

And i'm not saying he can't succeed at the next level....

But he wouldn't be a must have guy if I were drafting...

thats all i'm sayin...

I agree. I don't think we'd take a RB in the first couple rounds anyways, do you? I hoping for a defensive player in the first and possibly second round. Oline in possibly the second or third. RB in the third or fourth. We'll see, I'm still enjoying the team the way it's improving this year. I guess we'll see how this year pans out.

Runner
11-14-2006, 01:06 PM
... we need more Olinemen.. that is what it boils down to. We need more depth, and we need more starters, and we need more guys to groom.

Sad, but still true. We had the potential to both bring along young talent and have quality depth this year, but injuries and other issues certainly stopped those developments before they got started. I think we are getting ready to pay dearly for the missed potential now too.

threetoedpete
11-14-2006, 01:11 PM

We're going to find out about Mr. Hart this weekend. They have to keep Ginn Jr and Smith on the bench to have a shot. Will say I'm having trouble remebering the last Michican RB who went to Hawaii for the NFL pro bowl. Can you name one ? Isn't that what you are looking for in a RB when you invest that kind of pick on him ? As far as the Texan's and drafting him, if he falls to the top of the third and they love the guy I would have no problem with that. Think this club has bigger problems than at running back though don't you ?

Texans Horror
11-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Needs:

Offensive Linemen
Offensive Linemen
Offensive Linemen

But I'm guessing we will draft for defense. If so, hopefully we'll start by addressing the CB spot.

threetoedpete
11-14-2006, 01:18 PM
];499134']Let me just reminded you guys that THOMAS DAVIS and DERRICK JOHNSON were in the board, but chuck got Travis instead.

OMG~! :shades:

Yes. But don't miss the lesson. CC's move didn't work out, which was a common failing on CC's part. However, it set the table for the wonnderful '06 draft. I thought at the time TJ was a bit over rated. But just like last year, befor you can make a block buster deal to move down, you have to have a trading partner. They got their hands caught in the cookie jar, no doubt. Never been posted but that is what I'll believe happened till the day I die. Now TJ can prove me wrong. We've made pretty good lemmon aide out of that lemmon. So I got no room to gripe. Anyone seen a Jopru sighting this season ?

real
11-14-2006, 01:20 PM
I agree. I don't think we'd take a RB in the first couple rounds anyways, do you? I hoping for a defensive player in the first and possibly second round. Oline in possibly the second or third. RB in the third or fourth. We'll see, I'm still enjoying the team the way it's improving this year. I guess we'll see how this year pans out.

Honestly I hope Gado and Lundy prove they can carry the load...I'd rather not draft a RB period this upcoming draft...

I'd to trade down to about 12 or 13 if we aren't already in that range...and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd...

1st-best DB
2nd-Best OLB
extra pick(either second pick of the 2nd rd or first pick of the 3rd)-Best OL
3rd- Best DB
4th-Best DT
4th(??) Best OL
5th-Best LB
6th-OL
7th-DL

As of right now that's how i'd draft...
Although after the last draft I'm not too worried about which direction the Texans decide to go in...

humbleone
11-14-2006, 01:33 PM
In order of greatest need IMO:

(1) OLB...we need two of them. If we enter the FA war for Briggs (#55 Chicago, 25 yrs old/6'1"/240 and almost already as good as Urlacher) and win, that would be huge for us. The draft is deep in OLB IMO and we should be able to get a really good one in the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd. Moses, Posluszny and Alexander will probally be gone by then but Simpson (another Alabama OLB to go with #59), Everett or Burgess should be there.

(2) OL...we have to have one and need two IMO. I would go OT with our #1 which I guess will be in the 10-13 pick range...Thomas or Baker or trade down and take an OL...like Blalock and pick up an extra pick.

(3) CB...we need one. This is where I would like to see us go FA market again...but I like Samuel (NE/25 yrs old) more than Clements for us.

(4) DT...we need at least one and I would use our other first day pick on the best available.

(5) PK and Punter...unless things improve a bunch in the 2nd half, we need to upgrade these positions before '07...day two draft perhaps

Way too early to be certain about much of this IMO but it is fun to think out loud about.

threetoedpete
11-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Honestly I hope Gado and Lundy prove they can carry the load...I'd rather not draft a RB period this upcoming draft...

I'd to trade down to about 12 or 13 if we aren't already in that range...and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd...

1st-best DB
2nd-Best OLB
3rd- Best DB
4th-Best DT
4th(??) Best OL
5th-Best LB
6th-OL
7th-DL

Although after the last draft I'm not too worried about which direction the Texans decide to go in...

Won't ague with that will say with this many good OLT prospects on the board, I honestly believe they are one tallent in the o-line away from being a top ten offense. That one peice to me is worth the bump down of the deffensive guys. You're sixth OL , look at Cooley from Southern Miss. # 52 I believe. He is a left gaurd with quick feet. I think we could hide the guy away
on the practice squad for the '08 season. Very ceap Pitt insuarance.

threetoedpete
11-14-2006, 01:44 PM

(1) OLB...we need two of them. If we enter the FA war for Briggs (#55 Chicago, 25 yrs old/6'1"/240 and almost already as good as Urlacher) and win, that would be huge for us. The draft is deep in OLB IMO and we should be able to get a really good one in the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd. Moses, Posluszny and Alexander will probally be gone by then but Simpson (another Alabama OLB to go with #59), Everett or Burgess should be there.

(2) OL...we have to have one and need two IMO. I would go OT with our #1 which I guess will be in the 10-13 pick range...Thomas or Baker or trade down and take an OL...like Blalock and pick up an extra pick.

(3) CB...we need one. This is where I would like to see us go FA market again...but I like Samuel (NE/25 yrs old) more than Clements for us.

(4) DT...we need at least one and I would use our other first day pick on the best available.

(5) PK and Punter...unless things improve a bunch in the 2nd half, we need to upgrade these positions before '07...day two draft perhaps

Way too early to be certain about much of this IMO but it is fun to think out loud about.

Nice. I could live with this. Hoping we could hold off a couple of seasons to wait on the Kid from Oklahoma. I never was a spiecial teams Kicker fan. And I'm not a coach. But what I do know about feild goal kicking is that you never look up to see where the ball is going. You watch the foot through the ball to make sure you hit the ball where you want to strike the ball. To hook a kick by missing a grade school fundamental tells me we've seen the best we've going to see out of Mr. Brown. Missing the long one I got no problem with that. The shanked one was inexcusable. That'll get Mr. Brown sellin' washers at Sears PDQ with this head coach.

Runner
11-14-2006, 01:44 PM
I honestly believe they are one tallent in the o-line away from being a top ten offense.

Are you making the following assumptions?

1) Flanagan can play another year or Hodgdon steps up
2) Spencer, still a rookie, comes back with no ill effects from his injury
3) Winston pans out and is as good as advertised by his fans
4) Weary is good enough at guard
5) Salaam is good enough to be the back-up next year after this year's toll on his body

I don't think we've had that much work out positively for our o-line in five years.

We are going to need a combination of moves in free agency and the draft to finally get the line moving and keep it moving in the right direction.

real
11-14-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm not a fan of drafting kickers or punters at this stage in our franchise...

threetoedpete
11-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Are you making the following assumptions?

1) Flanagan can play another year or Hodgdon steps up
2) Spencer, still a rookie, comes back with no ill effects from his injury
3) Winston pans out and is as good as advertised by his fans
4) Weary is good enough at guard
5) Salaam is good enough to be the back-up next year after this year's toll on his body

I don't think we've had that much work out positively for our o-line in five years.

We are going to need a combination of moves in free agency and the draft to finally get the line moving and keep it moving in the right direction.

1. Hodgon would of been my starter from day one untill the kid spit the bit or got hurt. There is a reason guys like Bruce Mathews make the HOF. To play that long , at that high a level is quite remarkable. Salaam should be given every considerationt for come back player of the year. I don't know and I ain't in the loop, but on one and I mean no one projected this kind of production out of Salaam. As far as I'm concerned, Salaam is our swing tackle for as long as he wants it. I didn't put center down because between the two we have good centers. Can't fix everything in one draft.Defense is desperate for an infusion of tallent.

2. IS the reason I'm high on taking an OLT prospect early. It seems to me everyone is placing a whole lot of hope into Spencer's leg. I believe Spencer is the real deal. But to go into the spring not knowing whether or not he'll have the same foot speed to cover the OLT spot is too much of a seasonal gamble to me. Get the young gun then Kubes' problem becomes which beast to paly where. I believe he is smart enough to figgure that one out. With out the young gun, we're trolling for free agents and the second day Seth Wand's of the world. As I posted, that is much too leaky a vessel too put that much hope in. I believe if Spence can't come back 100% by the start of the '07 season he could challange several spots in the o-line. With Salaam as the swing, we're three deep there. Barring a castostorphy, the o-line should be set for several years. Whoever the starting QB or running backs are in the future, they'll be stepping behind a very strong base.

real
11-14-2006, 02:24 PM
2. IS the reason I'm high on taking an OLT prospect early. It seems to me everyone is placing a whole lot of hope into Spencer's leg. I believe Spencer is the real deal. But to go into the spring not knowing whether or not he'll have the same foot speed to cover the OLT spot is too much of a seasonal gamble to me. Get the young gun then Kubes' problem becomes which beast to paly where. I believe he is smart enough to figgure that one out. With out the young gun, we're trolling for free agents and the second day Seth Wand's of the world. As I posted, that is much too leaky a vessel too put that much hope in. I believe if Spence can't come back 100% by the start of the '07 season he could challange several spots in the o-line. With Salaam as the swing, we're three deep there. Barring a castostorphy, the o-line should be set for several years. Whoever the starting QB or running backs are in the future, they'll be stepping behind a very strong base.

If i'm not mistaken, Spencer didn't tear or sprain any ligaments....I think he just fractured a bone.....

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on T.V but if I'm not mistaken when bones heal they normally are stronger than before....And if he didn't mess up any ligaments it shouldn't affect his mobility too much...

Fractures and breaks IMO, are easier to come back from than Ligament tears and things of that nature...

Spencer should come back just as good and maybe even a little better....

JMO...

HOU-TEX
11-14-2006, 02:34 PM
We're going to find out about Mr. Hart this weekend. They have to keep Ginn Jr and Smith on the bench to have a shot. Will say I'm having trouble remebering the last Michican RB who went to Hawaii for the NFL pro bowl. Can you name one ? Isn't that what you are looking for in a RB when you invest that kind of pick on him ? As far as the Texan's and drafting him, if he falls to the top of the third and they love the guy I would have no problem with that. Think this club has bigger problems than at running back though don't you ?

As I stated in a previous post up the page, I wouldn't pick up a RB in the first or possibly second round. Yes, I do think we've got bigger holes to fill. That's why I want defensive players and some Oline before a RB as I noted in the previous post as well.

1st-best DB
2nd-Best OLB
3rd- Best DB
4th-Best DT
4th(??) Best OL
5th-Best LB
6th-OL
7th-DL

I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. I agree with you on the past draft as well. Outstanding!

I'm not a fan of drafting kickers or punters at this stage in our franchise...

I feel the same way. I believe these positions can be filled by holding tryouts during the offseason instead of using draft picks.

Nice thread. There's alot of interesting points and scenarios being made. Man, our MBs the best comparatively speaking.

Big J
11-14-2006, 02:43 PM

If you are talking about Hart from Michigan he isnt a good fit on this team. Remember the one cut and run that Kubiak stresses? Well he doesnt do it. He "dances". He is like Morency...which is why we shouldnt waste a draft pick on him. How do I know? I go to IU and I watched Hart and the Michigan crew stomp us. Hart is talented but not right for our system. The last good RB from Michigan that comes to mind was Chris Perry. In college he was gross. I dont think he has lived up to his potential in Cincy.

Anyhow, I really dont think we should draft a RB next draft because of the gaping holes we have on both lines and the back 7 on D. Gado, Lundy, and maybe Taylor are good enough for next year. Remember once we get depth and youth on our line, our running game should improve. Im one for drafting the best player as long as its not a qb, te, wr, or rb (then trade down). Then start to go with needs.

Brandon420tx
11-14-2006, 03:22 PM
We NEED to keep Sherman on our staff

Glacier
11-14-2006, 03:22 PM
hmmm..who to pick....

A half back that can punish is all this offense needs now, other than some time to let the young O Linemen get healthy and jell...

Peterson would be good as a 1-2 punch with Dominack Davis, once he gets back to health.

Bush from Louiseville could be REALLY good if he gets healthy.

humbleone
11-14-2006, 03:33 PM
hmmm..who to pick....

A half back that can punish is all this offense needs now, other than some time to let the young O Linemen get healthy and jell...

Peterson would be good as a 1-2 punch with Dominack Davis, once he gets back to health.

Sadly, DD is probably done. Bob Allen asked him if his knee was "bone-on-bone" and his answer was "pretty much" as I recall. There just does not appear to be much (if any) tread left on his wheels. That said, we have bigger needs to fill IMO...like (2) OLB's, (2) OL, DT, CB, FS, P and Kicker.

Texanator14
11-14-2006, 09:54 PM
I agree with most of you in that we need to build our defense through the draft. Personally I think the secondary is the weakest part and with where we should be picking come april i'm pretty sure that we'll be giving Laron Landry a long look. Then in the Second round I'd go with Paul Poslusney if he slips that far. Just imagine him and Demeco flying to the ball every play. If he's not there maybe we take Brian Leonard the FB from Rutgers. He's got to be better than Jameel Cook and since we use the FB more than other offenses he could be an offensive weapon for us. After that I'd recommend taking a RB in the third cause I think D-Dave is done and there should be some steals there. After that we should go secondary, O-line, and wide receiver.

wags
11-14-2006, 11:31 PM
What do we need? Um...how bout like a cornerback.

TexanSam
11-14-2006, 11:37 PM
We NEED to keep Sherman on our staff

I don't think we will though. I think Sherman will get a head coaching job next season. It'd be great if he didn't though.

As for our needs, I'll list them in order:

LB-Demeco's great. Everyone else sucks
Secondary-Either a cornerback or a safety. Dunta is good, Petey is average but he's more of a nickle back than a starter.
RB-Chris Taylor, Gado, and Lundy aren't the answer
OL-We still need more help here. I don't know if Drew Hogdon is our center of the future.
WR- Eric Moulds is good as a #2 guy, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and I don't see anything in Kevin Walter that makes me think he'll be our #2 reciever.

TexanFanInCC
11-14-2006, 11:54 PM
we definitely need a cover corner, a defensive tackle, and maaaybe an outside LB in case we need to upgrade over orr or if wong moves on.

on offense, its simple...tailback! i seriously dont think o-line will be an issue bc we will get spencer back and winston will likely be the every-snap starter at RT.

wolfscar
11-15-2006, 07:10 AM
I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on T.V but if I'm not mistaken when bones heal they normally are stronger than before....And if he didn't mess up any ligaments it shouldn't affect his mobility too much...

I think the problem with this particular break is where it is. Likewise, I'm not a doctor, but I remember reading that it's a severe tibia fracture that occurred within six inches of the knee joint. According to an orthopaedic friend of mine, this limits what they can do to treat it and how well it heals depends on the angle of the break and whether the position will cause alignment problems or stop them from pinning/plating it properly. If it heals slightly out of alignment then it's always weaker than it was. I'm guessing this is what Kubiak was talking about when he said we'll have to wait till we know anything about how it will heal - they'll be monitoring the mend to make sure it binds as straight as it can be.

wolfscar
11-15-2006, 07:34 AM

Pretty much exactly my thoughts. I think we need a FS too - although I'm one of those who believes Dunta could be outstanding there. Between them our current safeties make one really good SS.

A lot of people are calling for a DT, but I don't think our D-Line will see much attention in the offseason. We're strong at DE and we have three starters in Payne, TJ and Maddox (plus Mario's ability to switch inside). I'm not a huge fan of Travis though, and I wouldn't be sorry to see him traded to bring in a better option or a high draft pick.

O-Line is far more important, particularly OT. Also, I don't like Flanagan for next year (I don't like him much for this year either) and I haven't seen enough of Hodgdon to form a real opinion of him. I don't know who's going to be available in FA here, but I think a solid, experienced leader at Center would be invaluable to us.

Kicker and punter both need to be addressed, because our current pair are woeful. Surely there has to be someone in FA or late in the draft who can do better - at least than Brown. I wouldn't want to see us draft there until very late though - and then only if there's quality to be had.

Crazyhorse
11-15-2006, 10:23 AM
There is no doubt that we need to focus on defense especially linebacker , secondary, and a D-tackle to compliment Mario.
We need to get another young offensive tackle because Spencer may not be ready at the start of next season. The jury is still out on that situation. Also we may want to look at a center too As that is the oldest part of the o-line.

real
11-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Also we may want to look at a center too As that is the oldest part of the o-line.

What do you mean by that ?

Bearfan Blue and Orange
11-15-2006, 12:45 PM
I don't think we will though. I think Sherman will get a head coaching job next season. It'd be great if he didn't though.

As for our needs, I'll list them in order:

LB-Demeco's great. Everyone else sucks
Secondary-Either a cornerback or a safety. Dunta is good, Petey is average but he's more of a nickle back than a starter.
RB-Chris Taylor, Gado, and Lundy aren't the answer
OL-We still need more help here. I don't know if Drew Hogdon is our center of the future.
WR- Eric Moulds is good as a #2 guy, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and I don't see anything in Kevin Walter that makes me think he'll be our #2 reciever.

Hmmmm.
Haven't seen anything? just about every catch he has had this season has been a "FIRST DOWN". Not to mention, hmmm no 3 WR sets for the most part does not really allow to make a judgement call.

Personally, I believe he is just as good as TJ on the Bengals, just has not had the chance to show it in Houston, He showed what he is capable of in the playoff game against the SB Champs Steelers and that was a #2 WR caliber easily.

He will be here next season and if Moulds isn't, or if the Texans start consistently use a 3WR set you will see he will be a great future compliment to AJ!!!

Jack Flush
11-15-2006, 02:11 PM
If you are talking about Hart from Michigan he isnt a good fit on this team. Remember the one cut and run that Kubiak stresses? Well he doesnt do it. He "dances".

By most accounts, Hart is a north-and-south runner who doesn't move laterally much before he hits the hole. Of all the draft eligible running backs, Hart may be the most similar to Adrian Peterson in this regard. If there's a hole, he'll hit it. If not, he'll drive the pile for a positive gain.

bah007
11-15-2006, 02:13 PM
By most accounts, Hart is a north-and-south runner who doesn't move laterally much before he hits the hole. Of all the draft eligible running backs, Hart may be the most similar to Adrian Peterson in this regard. If there's a hole, he'll hit it. If not, he'll drive the pile for a positive gain.

And he hardly EVER fumbles.

Gotta love that.

leachmtb
11-15-2006, 04:31 PM
I am not positive about our salary cap situation, but we are likely being a little too optomistic about both Briggs, Clements, and the CB for New England. Although, if we did pick up one at each of those positions, we would be better able to pick BPA rather than need in the draft. (I still think we have a lot of need, but the need will not be as pressing).

In the draft, I think taking a running back is not a good option. Darren McFadden is the best RB in CFB right now, and I'm pretty sure, unless Arkansas wins out and wins a National Championship, that he will be staying home. If I were to pick one up, it might be Kenny Irons (his stock is falling, as Auburn is, and he is incredibly powerful and shifty). However, I would much rather draft:

1: OT: Get the Big Nasty to play the rightside, and put an athletic Winston inside (thus upgrading our athleticism on the line). And, if the Big Nasty doesn't work out, we're not hur tlike we were with the Boselli deal.

2: FS: Pick the best one available. I think that Earl is good, but with a FS that excels in coverage that would hopefully free Earl up for more intimidating hits.

3: OLB: Someone who will either be a very sufficient backup that will takeover after a little while, or can start opposite our free agent pickup.

4: C: Centers are always later round picks, and we would be able to pick up a decent one here.

5: Trade: pick up another 4th for next year

6: BPA: Probably defensive line. Provide good backup.

7: K: you are very rarely going to get a Colston, so if you draft a K you get your first choice rather than waiting for Free Agent signings.

I'm not entirely sure that I agree with everything that I wrote, but the first 4 rounds would definitelyl keep us going in the right direction.

austintexanite
11-15-2006, 05:36 PM
hhmmmm...I'll wait 6 more weeks to voice my opinion, as I still wanna see more from them, but I will say we need a LT

threetoedpete
11-15-2006, 10:17 PM
hmmm..who to pick....

I'm really in don't draft the running back early crew. On the whole I think the guys who are sophmores show much more potential than aything I've seen from the juniors or seniors. But I was really impressed with Bush befor the injury. TBS, there are so many holes, something has to get by passed. He is a rare tallent no doubt.

Rex King
11-15-2006, 10:33 PM
As a an anti-Michigan fan, I think he'd be a very good fit for the Texans whether they go with a power scheme or ZB. Michigan switched to ZB this season and he hasn't missed a beat. He hits the hole very quickly. Of course, the holes he's been getting have been bigger than our o-line has managed, but he rarely gets stopped in the backfield. He's small, but runs hard.

I agree the real studs are Peterson, Lynch, then a bunch of sophomores. A couple of guys who might be able available third round or later are Tony Hunt (Penn State, power runner, very good blocker and receiver, not great speed or elusiveness) and Deshawn Wynn (Florida). I also like Justin Vincent and Selvin Young, though I'm not sure Young would be a good fit.

real
11-16-2006, 08:58 AM
And he hardly EVER fumbles.

Gotta love that.

I was watching an interview with him, and they said he NEVER has fumbled...

threetoedpete
11-16-2006, 08:43 PM
I also like Justin Vincent and Selvin Young, though I'm not sure Young would be a good fit.

Only if Young comes with a gross of super glue for the fumbles. This guy coughs up the ball like my cat coughs up fur balls. With impunity and general disregard where they go. Enjoyed the rest of your post though.

Insideop
11-16-2006, 10:50 PM
I still don't think Kubes is going to take a RB with the 1st pick of the draft. Not with how thin the O-line and D-line have been this year. We have both starting OT's on IR and 3 DT's on IR :crutch: not to mention the age of some of our O-line. And let's face it, I doubt Wiegert or Payne will play for us (or anybody else) again. I think Kubes will take an O-lineman or D-lineman (depending on what we get in FA) in the 1st round.

If we can get a FS and/or CB and a stud DT in FA, then I look for Kubes to take an OT with the 1st pick. Joe Thomas would be nice, but I think he will be gone by then. I think he is projected as a "top 5" and I don't think we will pick that high this year.

As of now, this is the way I would go in the draft:

1st OT
2nd OLB or FS if we can't get one in FA
3rd OLB if we get a FS in 2nd or OG
4th OG if we get OLB in 3rd or RB
5th CB
6th BPA
7th BPA

JMHO!
:gotexans1

TexHorns
11-17-2006, 10:36 PM
1. Star RB could share time with DD and if DD doesn't come back we wont have any problems running like we have now. "Wali Gado" is not the answer.

2. CB to sure up the otherside

3. Safety

4. O-line

5. OLB

I think the colts might be in trouble with this draft

Low Life
11-18-2006, 02:16 AM
I think just another D Back would be great. We could all point at a position and say that needs to be upgraded but when reality strikes can we have another draft as good as this most recent? I don't think so. But here's to wishing...

Two safeties with death wishes
Another corner that thinks he's an indy car
some covers for the great story of demeco ryans
Adrien Peterson
Platforms with goldfish in them (Carr needs to stand up in the pocket or wear these)
1 extremely good foot doctor.

I'm talking 2007 of course.

cbnjwill
11-18-2006, 02:49 AM
1. quality starting qb not a quality backup
2. stud runningback
3. playmaking lb to go along with demeco
4.hardhitting safety
5. still need someone on the def. to get to the qb
6. jerome mathis to return to his rookie form special teams have been horrible
7. a new punter and kicker
8. a healthy charles spencer and draft another quality off. lineman guard center or tackle doesnt matter to me just add some more talent to that group.
9. a speedy 3rd wr. no one has stepped up in that role andre is really the only playmaker we have. moulds is more of a possesion wr at this point in his career

ubecool454
11-18-2006, 09:12 AM
I'm more interested in the free agent department.

1. Briggs should be highly considered. Good football instincts.

2. This could seal da' deal for the D-Line. Jared Allen from the chiefs. Hi-motor guy with some good skills. Opposite of Mario, man c'mon u gotta luv it:redtowel:

3. Samuels might be asking for to much, but if we could get him OK, but if not we pick one up in the draft.

Last but not least, might hurt some feelings but don't expect our team to draft a RB in the first round, it's just not happening. It may not happen in the second round neither, but it depends on who is on the board. As for drafting a RB in later rounds, keeps your eyes and ears focused on the kid fron Arkansas, if he declares this kid could be our guy.
If McFadden is the kid from arkansas you are refering to, i think he is only a sophmore.:ok:

ubecool454
11-18-2006, 09:46 AM
to early to tell what to do now, but never ever draft a RB out of Michigan....see:Tim biakabatuka, see:Athony Thomas.:yawn: