PDA

View Full Version : Officiating Issues

Blake
11-06-2006, 11:28 AM
I wanted to discuss this play a little bit, and compare it to the Cook fumble a little later on in the game.

Jeff Feagle takes the snap, doesnt get it down clean, and forces the kicker (A.J. Feely) to divert. A.J. Feely runs off left to give Jeff Feagle's another option. Jeff passes to his left, and Feely makes the grab. He then secures the ball, and turns around opening himself up to the defense for a ball jarring hit. (I cant remember who hit him, maybe Brown, or Robinson) but is ruled dead, because he didnt make a football move (whatever the hell that is)

The ball is picked up by Lional Dalton, and run 50+ yards for a TD, but is wistled dead by the zebras.

Later on in the game, we see basically the same situation, Carr to Cook, Cook makes a spin to go upfield and is hit by one of the Giants rookies (Gerris Wilkinson) and is ruled a fumble because he made a "football move" whatever the hell that means.
================================

Was I the only one who noticed this, and was infuriated by it? I felt it was clear as day that the Giant caught the ball, and make a move with it. But fine, if you want to say he didnt make a football move, then that is your call. But then how are you going to say that Cook made a football move? How are you going to take the same situation, and slice it 2 different ways?

p.s. Mario was a force.

rafterticket
11-06-2006, 11:34 AM
I wanted to discuss this play a little bit, and compare it to the Cook fumble a little later on in the game.

Jeff Feagle takes the snap, doesnt get it down clean, and forces the kicker (A.J. Feely) to divert. A.J. Feely runs off left to give Jeff Feagle's another option. Jeff passes to his left, and Feely makes the grab. He then secures the ball, and turns around opening himself up to the defense for a ball jarring hit. (I cant remember who hit him, maybe Brown, or Robinson) but is ruled dead, because he didnt make a football move (whatever the hell that is)

The ball is picked up by Lional Dalton, and run 50+ yards for a TD, but is wistled dead by the zebras.

Later on in the game, we see basically the same situation, Carr to Cook, Cook makes a spin to go upfield and is hit by one of the Giants rookies (Gerris Wilkinson) and is ruled a fumble because he made a "football move" whatever the hell that means.
================================

Was I the only one who noticed this, and was infuriated by it? I felt it was clear as day that the Giant caught the ball, and make a move with it. But fine, if you want to say he didnt make a football move, then that is your call. But then how are you going to say that Cook made a football move? How are you going to take the same situation, and slice it 2 different ways?

p.s. Mario was a force.

I thought the exact same thing, but there was no review from the people that were on the field for the botched field goal.

p.s. Yes, he is.

Texan_Bill
11-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Becasue Kickers and Punters don't make "Football moves". While Cook is a fullback that does not get too many touches, he is still a running back...

All joking aside, it kind of p-d me off too. Not unlike Mario getting the Unsportsman like conduct for Eli's Oscar winning dive versus Carr getting pummeled on the sideline and no call....Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

El Tejano
11-06-2006, 11:37 AM
I thought the same thing but appearantly Cook's tuck was more secure than Feely's and his tuck was considered a football move.

However, the Mario Williams roughing the passer was booty.

Also, you lose games like this on the road when you miss easy FGs on your first possesion.

Double Barrel
11-06-2006, 11:39 AM
It was lame, but I can't get down on the officials. They did give us that Shockey TD play back, which was questionable and could have gone either way. (The roughing call was good acting on Manning's part...put a skirt on that dude if he can't take a little push like that!)

Cook should have held on to the ball, and we'd have been in a good position to keep driving. No gaurantee that we would have scored a TD, but the momentum was going our way at that point in the game. That fumble hurt.

infantrycak
11-06-2006, 11:47 AM
I want to go look at it again, but the play that got me was the "incomplete pass" after Mario smacked Eli a 2nd time on 3rd down after the 1st and 2nd down sacks. The ball flew sideways and backwards. If Kubiak was willing to challenge for 8 yds, why didn't Kubiak challenge that as a fumble for about 50 yds of field position?

Osso
11-06-2006, 11:54 AM
I want to know if that knocked down pass by mario after his sack was a lateral. They ruled it incomplete but I could swear it went backwards.

aj.
11-06-2006, 12:01 PM
CC's helmet knocked the ball loose the instant that Feely was bringing it into his gut. It was the right call. Cook's was even more right, unfortunatley for us.

The call I thought was a bit lame was Mario's roughing on Eli.

Goldeagle
11-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Yeah I did not understand that "Not a football move" call either?

And yeah the call on Mario was BS

Meloy
11-06-2006, 12:07 PM
CC's helmet knocked the ball loose the instant that Feely was bringing it into his gut. It was the right call. Cook's was even more right, unfortunatley for us.

The call I thought was a bit lame was Mario's roughing on Eli.Can you explain what a "football move is"? First time I heard that terminology.

V Man
11-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Officiating was bad in several games yesterday. Our game had plenty of questionable calls, but the worst was in the Colts/ Pats game. The 4th and 1, the Colts stopped Brady but the head offical comes running in from behind and gives the Pats a first down without even measuring it. And apparently I wasn't the only one who thought that call was questionable. Al and John talked about it and several morning radio shows I heard this morning where talking about it as well.

GiantsJunkie
11-06-2006, 12:40 PM

The call I thought was a bit lame was Mario's roughing on Eli.

I thought the calls were pretty much "on" yesterday. Wish we could have gotten the Shockey TD call, but c'est la vie.

Also, the Manning roughing call was bogus. I didn't like seeing Williams act like a punk in a better team's house while on a 2-7 football team though. There was no need for him to emulate or mock the Giants dumb basketball thing - he acted like a rookie, and looked like it on a national stage. Nice sack, tho.

Good game by the Texans overall, so/so by the banged up Giants, your team will continue to grow - give Kubiak time.

run-david-run
11-06-2006, 12:47 PM
I thought the calls were pretty much "on" yesterday. Wish we could have gotten the Shockey TD call, but c'est la vie.

Also, the Manning roughing call was bogus. I didn't like seeing Williams act like a punk in a better team's house while on a 2-7 football team though. There was no need for him to emulate or mock the Giants dumb basketball thing - he acted like a rookie, and looked like it on a national stage. Nice sack, tho.

Good game by the Texans overall, so/so by the banged up Giants, your team will continue to grow - give Kubiak time.

First off, we are 2-6, not 2-7. Also, i thought his jump-shot was a good way to get the team fired up. The crowd started booing and everything got more intense from that point on, which seemed to help us on that drive because the next couple of plays Eli got hit twice and very nearly threw a backwards pass which would have gone back for 6.

GiantsJunkie
11-06-2006, 12:50 PM
First off, we are 2-6, not 2-7. Also, i thought his jump-shot was a good way to get the team fired up. The crowd started booing and everything got more intense from that point on, which seemed to help us on that drive because the next couple of plays Eli got hit twice and very nearly threw a backwards pass which would have gone back for 6.

You can also argue that it fired up the Giants to win. The kid needs to use his head as well as he does his unique talent. In years past he may have been carted off the field for the rest of the year because he pulls punk stuff like that.

V Man
11-06-2006, 12:53 PM

You're a Giants fan being a Giants fan. If the situtation was reversed and one of your players did one of our players celebrations, you would have thought it was great just like we think Mario's was. It was about time that someone here showed a little fire.

GiantsJunkie
11-06-2006, 12:57 PM
You're a Giants fan being a Giants fan. If the situtation was reversed and one of your players did one of our players celebrations, you would have thought it was great just like we think Mario's was. It was about time that someone here showed a little fire.

Sorry, pal, that was a Terrell Owens jumping on the Star kind of move.

In belongs in Cowboys or Eagles games, not the Texans.

Giants were still talking about it after the game - if you want your star players to have a large X on their heads for the next time you play someone, no problem. Just remember this when SuperMario is put on the IR with a dangerous knee injury from a hit that the lineman could have slowed up on and not made, but wait...what did that kid do last time he sacked our qb?

If your team needs this kind of punk move to fire it up, you're lightyears further away from being a good team than I gave you credit for.

Double Barrel
11-06-2006, 12:58 PM
I didn't like seeing Williams act like a punk in a better team's house while on a 2-7 football team though. There was no need for him to emulate or mock the Giants dumb basketball thing - he acted like a rookie, and looked like it on a national stage. Nice sack, tho.

Mario and Strahan are buds. How do you know it wasn't Mario giving props to his friend? Strahan constantly has his back in the media. I doubt he took offense to it, so why should you? Besides, you won the game, so be happy with that.

I was glad to see Williams getting fired up, too. Both his celebration and arguing with refs, while seemingly 'immature', are both indicative of passion.

V Man
11-06-2006, 01:02 PM

Giants were still talking about it after the game - if you want your star players to have a large X on their heads for the next time you play someone, no problem. Just remember this when SuperMario is put on the IR with a dangerous knee injury from a hit that the lineman could have slowed up on and not made, but wait...what did that kid do last time he sacked our qb?

If your team needs this kind of punk move to fire it up, you're lightyears further away from being a good team than I gave you credit for.

A punk, well then he is a punk Strahan is a cheater and should not have the sack record since his buddy layed down for him.

And like I said, you are just mad because our guy got to do your teams stupid little move before yours. It is all in fun, deal with it, you won now get over it, get ready, and take care business against the Cowgirls again and we all will be happy again.

texflex513
11-06-2006, 01:03 PM

so now your talking about dirty football??? because of a celebration lol please quit being a cry baby you guys won the game it was a good one i give you credit if anything it was a credit to your great pass rusher im sure strahan wasnt in the lockeroom tearing up the place over what mario did BIG DEAL. wah wah wah :crying:

GiantsJunkie
11-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Mario and Strahan are buds. How do you know it wasn't Mario giving props to his friend? Strahan constantly has his back in the media. I doubt he took offense to it, so why should you? Besides, you won the game, so be happy with that.

I was glad to see Williams getting fired up, too. Both his celebration and arguing with refs, while seemingly 'immature', are both indicative of passion.

1) Mario is a rookie...he may have met Strahan, but I seriously doubt that they're "buds."

2) Listen to the Giants post game interviews...there were more than a couple Giants who were not pleased by the rookie/T.O. move.

3) I've seen Giants players in the past show up a home team, and then get absolutely pummeled during the team's next showdown...and end up on the IR. You can't afford to lose Mario right now.

GiantsJunkie
11-06-2006, 01:06 PM
so now your talking about dirty football??? because of a celebration lol please quit being a cry baby you guys won the game it was a good one i give you credit if anything it was a credit to your great pass rusher im sure strahan wasnt in the lockeroom tearing up the place over what mario did BIG DEAL. wah wah wah :crying:

I'm just some fan sitting in on a chat room.

He continues that crap, he'll be hurt. And then...wah wah wah.

Peace, guys, again good game and I wish nothing but the best for the Texans!

TK_Gamer
11-06-2006, 01:17 PM
I'm just some fan sitting in on a chat room.

He continues that crap, he'll be hurt. And then...wah wah wah.

Peace, guys, again good game and I wish nothing but the best for the Texans!

omg, yer actually making or insinuating a threat to Mario? and mario is a punk? you really need to lay off the power drinks and quit thinking you are some spokesman for the NFL's moral majority or something. get a grip

GiantsJunkie
11-06-2006, 01:20 PM
omg, yer actually making or insinuating a threat to Mario? and mario is a punk? you really need to lay off the power drinks and quit thinking you are some spokesman for the NFL's moral majority or something. get a grip

Listen to players in the NFL who say "we need to take care of our own business." If you don't get that they'll protect their house when some kid comes in and mocks them...then you don't get it.

Why is this different than saying, hey gamer, watch out for your son, ok...I've seen him hanging in the wrong crowds and doing some bad stuff - if he keeps that up he's going to get shot or something...?

BattleRedRaider
11-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Listen to players in the NFL who say "we need to take care of our own business." If you don't get that they'll protect their house when some kid comes in and mocks them...then you don't get it.

Why is this different than saying, hey gamer, watch out for your son, ok...I've seen him hanging in the wrong crowds and doing some bad stuff - if he keeps that up he's going to get shot or something...?

Yeah gamer, your son shouldn't be a punk after being drafted in the 3rd grade.

texaslifter
11-06-2006, 01:28 PM
You can also argue that it fired up the Giants to win. The kid needs to use his head as well as he does his unique talent. In years past he may have been carted off the field for the rest of the year because he pulls punk stuff like that.

For someone who posts about football, and doesn't play it himself, you sure are trying to act like a tough guy.

GiantsJunkie
11-06-2006, 01:33 PM
For someone who posts about football, and doesn't play it himself, you sure are trying to act like a tough guy.

Nice ASSumption, but you're right, I'm not a current NFL, XFL or WFL football player.

But...I've seen this stuff happen too many times to people in the league. T.O. takes more hard shots each game than he should because of that mouth, it would be a shame to see Mario not improve because of his mouth.

Do you know who I have the same problem with??? Giants RB Brandon Jacobs (that oversized RB of ours). Every time that guy runs for more than 5 yards or breaks a tackle, he's in the defender's face and barking all kinds of junk. He needs to shut up and let his running do the talking. OK?

prostock101
11-06-2006, 01:34 PM
1) Mario is a rookie...he may have met Strahan, but I seriously doubt that they're "buds."

2) Listen to the Giants post game interviews...there were more than a couple Giants who were not pleased by the rookie/T.O. move.

3) I've seen Giants players in the past show up a home team, and then get absolutely pummeled during the team's next showdown...and end up on the IR. You can't afford to lose Mario right now.

I watched the end of the game and Strahan came up to Mario and was smiling and gave him a big hug.........I dont' think they kissed or anything but I'm sure Mario has a lot of respect for Strahan and did the "jump shot" for the same reason..

GiantsJunkie
11-06-2006, 01:48 PM
I watched the end of the game and Strahan came up to Mario and was smiling and gave him a big hug.........I dont' think they kissed or anything but I'm sure Mario has a lot of respect for Strahan and did the "jump shot" for the same reason..

Could be.

I actually just read something where MW said he wasn't trying to "start" anything and actually used the words "I apologize" in the interview. If that's the case, cool. The incident may actually have helped him grow up a bit. - And please don't take that the wrong way...I needed to grow up plenty at 22-23 whatever he is, and I didn't have two hundred new friends...and several million new dollars to help me NOT grow up!

TEXANS84
11-06-2006, 02:06 PM

Giants offensive tackle Bob Whitfield, a 15-year veteran and former first-round pick by Atlanta, had this to say about Mario Williams: "The son of a gun is almost inhuman out there for how big and thick and solid he is. And I caught it firsthand because I said to myself, `Don't give the young kid a sack.' But I don't call it a sack when he actually dislocates your whole left side of your body when he hit me. It was almost like he needed to have a penalty for tearing up an old man. I actually told him, `Slow it down, young fellow.' He's strong. He's big. He's got it. He's going to be a force to be reckoned with."
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/11/mario_almost_inhuman_carr_gets.html

infantrycak
11-06-2006, 02:09 PM
610 am just reminded me of a blatantly bad non-call: the one where McQuarters arrives so early over the back of Jameel Cook that the ball actually bounced off of the back of his his helmet or shoulder pad. Horrible non-call.

Blake
11-06-2006, 03:02 PM
610 am just reminded me of a blatantly bad non-call: the one where McQuarters arrives so early over the back of Jameel Cook that the ball actually bounced off of the back of his his helmet or shoulder pad. Horrible non-call.

I thought that was a very close call. But I think it should have been called. The only way a player is going to not catch a short pass like that, is if he gets hit first.

For the most part I think they do a damn good job, but there are just some times you wish everything was reviewed.

Speaking of which, what is the deal with the NCAA reveiwing every single play? I mean, you shouldnt have to review 2-3 first downs. The fact that they need instant replay to make sure that the guy did or did not get the first down is poor. But i guess thats why they work the NCAA.

infantrycak
11-06-2006, 03:12 PM
I thought that was a very close call.

Close call?--it looked like McQuarters was playing leap frog with Cook. By the time the ball arrived he was staring Cook almost face to face with the ball coming from behind him.

Texas
11-06-2006, 03:17 PM
That was the dumbest call ever...So basically if we throw a punter at receiver and throw him a 5 yard dump every game he can jus drop the ball as long as he doesnt make a "football move" and we gain 5 each time?

Charter PSL Fan
11-06-2006, 03:51 PM
Officials suck. NFL and NCAA. I think the mob is involved.

Porky
11-06-2006, 04:48 PM

So, let me get this straight. It's okay for all of the Giants players to show up the oppositon by doing stupid dances, but if the opposing team does it to mock them, it's time to break someone's knee, and the Giants are offended? Hey, how about being able to take what you can dish out. If you guys don't want players mocking you, I have two bits of advice - first heed the saying "do unto others as you would have them do unto you", and if you don't like that one, then beat the man accross from you so he doesn't get back to your QB to celebrate. Otherwise shut your giant trap, or next time Mario will knock Eli back to the 7th grade. :whip: