PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning is God

thunderkyss
11-05-2006, 08:07 PM
I don't care if the Colts lose this game today.

I don't care if Joseph Addai runs for 400 yards, and 6 touchdowns.

There is not a better QB in the NFL than Peyton Manning.

kastofsna
11-05-2006, 08:10 PM
brady's better, but that's about it.

thunderkyss
11-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Peyton is 9 for 11, for 147 yards, Brady is 9 for 11 for 113 yards......

six in one hand, it's all personal preference.

But our guy is 21 for 30 for 176 yards.......

& they are only in the second Qtr

Texans_Chick
11-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Actually, the Peyton has a pact with the devil.

Link (http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/2006/09/18/peyton-manning-is-evil/)

The theory makes sense. If he were God, he would not be playing for a franchise that was stolen away in the middle of the night.

Dr. Toro
11-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Did you guys see that interview where Peyton Manning was saying how he wishes he could throw to guys like Ashley Lelie and Alge Crumpler?

Seriously though, he's the best in the game. He's the picture of consistency and dedication.

StarStruck
11-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Peyton is great. On the other hand, with all the help New England's getting from the powers that be, it will a miracle for them to lose.

samomin
11-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Manning lost my respect when he pointed fingers at his teamates after a playoff loss (his OL). No matter how bad the team plays, you don't point fingers at teammates. I hope he never wins a Superbowl, or better still never even makes it to a Superbowl. Unfortunately, I like Tony Dungy and want him to win a superbowl. Hopefully it won't be with Manning.

TexanSam
11-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Peyton is the best thrower in the NFL. I think he's the best QB period. Manning has never had a top echelon defense since he's been with the Colts. Tom Brady had one every year he won the Super Bowl. If we went on a playground and you chose Manning and I got Brady though, it's not like I'd be disappointed however.

kastofsna
11-05-2006, 09:34 PM
i'll take the guy who's proven it many diffrent situations with all kinds of players around him, with and without a running game, against any defense, the guy that's the same all the time no matter what.

thunderkyss
11-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Manning lost my respect when he pointed fingers at his teamates after a playoff loss (his OL). No matter how bad the team plays, you don't point fingers at teammates. I hope he never wins a Superbowl, or better still never even makes it to a Superbowl. Unfortunately, I like Tony Dungy and want him to win a superbowl. Hopefully it won't be with Manning.

I'm watching Adai fall down, Clark drop balls, Wayne drop balls...... & they show Peyton looking at his guys, smiling, and laughing.... It's like he's saying, "don't worry about that one, we'll get the next one"

thunderkyss
11-05-2006, 09:41 PM
i'll take the guy who's proven it many diffrent situations with all kinds of players around him, with and without a running game, against any defense, the guy that's the same all the time no matter what.

You know........ if he choked the way McNabb chokes in big games, I can see your point. But you know winning a SuperBowl is bigger than a one guy.

Peyton not getting past the AFC Championship game, IMHO is more reflective of the coaching, and not the QBing....

Well, I didn't agree with Peyton sending the field goal team off the field.... but again, I see that as a coaching problem.

gtexan02
11-05-2006, 09:54 PM
He is the best QB in the NFL right now. Anyone who argues with this just doesn't watch football. Not only is he morer talented than any other player, but he's given a lot more freedom than other players. He is the most intelligent at his position period.

He may or may not be the best ever in terms of QBs. It will all depend on whether he can play the big game.

RTP2110
11-05-2006, 10:14 PM
I was watchuing the game, thinking the exact same thing. For my money, Manning is the best QB I have ever seen play. I'm not talking about winning playoffs and Super Bowls, that's more of a team deal. But just as a QB, arm strength, accuracy, pocket awareness, reading defenses, and that stuff, he is the best I have ever seen. Most good QB's throw one or two passes a game that make you say, ''wow''. Manning makes about 10 of those a game. His accuracy is unbelievable, give him 6 inches to get the ball in, and he gets it in there. I could go on and on, but you have all seen him.

Huge
11-05-2006, 10:23 PM
In the world of "what have you done for me lately", Brady is lagging pretty far behind.

19/33, 176 yards, 0 TDs, 3 INTs

That's pretty bad no matter who you're playing with, with or without a running game, and against any defense.

thunderkyss
11-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Just to make it clear..... although I worship at the alter of Peyton......

I hope like hell that Brady and his crew wins this game.

TexasSportsFan4
11-05-2006, 10:28 PM
No way. I can't stand the Patriots. If only the Colts were in a different division they would be my 2nd favorite team

kastofsna
11-05-2006, 10:53 PM
In the world of "what have you done for me lately", Brady is lagging pretty far behind.

19/33, 176 yards, 0 TDs, 3 INTs

That's pretty bad no matter who you're playing with, with or without a running game, and against any defense.
definitely a bad game. very uncharacteristic.

mexican_texan
11-06-2006, 12:20 AM
I think Manning proved he is still the best QB in the league. Don't pull that "Brady has 3 rings" BS on me. A ring doesn't make Trent Dilfer better than Dan Marino.

Double Barrel
11-06-2006, 12:09 PM
I think Manning proved he is still the best QB in the league. Don't pull that "Brady has 3 rings" BS on me. A ring doesn't make Trent Dilfer better than Dan Marino.

Does Joe Montana's four rings make him better than Marino? Dan has all the stats, but never had a good defense, and doesn't have a ring. So which one is 'better', Montana or Marino?

It's the same thing with Brady and Manning. One has the superior arm and talent, but the other makes plays in crunch time. I don't think you could go wrong with either player, to be honest. I'd take Manning as a franchise QB, but if it was one game that had to be won, I'd take Brady.

They are both the two best QBs in football right now, hands down. Debating who is 'better' is subjective at best.

What I find amusing is that the 'experts' said pocket passers were going to be a thing of the past because of the "new breed" of running QBs. Shows what 'experts' know about these things.

kastofsna
11-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Does Joe Montana's four rings make him better than Marino?
nah, him being a better QB makes him better.

camisgirl
11-06-2006, 12:18 PM

I agree 100%. The only QB I think is better is Montana and he's retired. I think Peyton may end up better than Steve Young, which is saying A LOT coming from me, Montana.Rice/Young are my holy trinity of football, lol.

kastofsna
11-06-2006, 12:51 PM
manning is clearly better than young at this point. not even close.

Double Barrel
11-06-2006, 02:11 PM
nah, him being a better QB makes him better.

Of course I would agree. But Montana is the best ever, IMO.

But it's the same arguments. Marino and Manning don't have defenses yada yada yada.

The one thing I will mention is that Brady has more come-from-behind victories than either Elway or Montana at this point in his career (compared to that point in thier careers). Dude is a badass under pressure and when it really counts.

thunderkyss
11-06-2006, 02:49 PM
The one thing I will mention is that Brady has more come-from-behind victories than either Elway or Montana at this point in his career (compared to that point in thier careers). Dude is a badass under pressure and when it really counts.

of course if he took care of Business early, he wouldn't be coming from behind......

but that's a different argument all together.

kastofsna
11-06-2006, 03:10 PM
that's a foolish argument, actually.

Double Barrel
11-06-2006, 03:16 PM
of course if he took care of Business early, he wouldn't be coming from behind......

but that's a different argument all together.

And if Manning made the right throws he'd have a ring or two. :ok:

It's circular logic and all subjective. The point about Brady was just indicative of his coolness under pressure and ability to excel when behind in a game. The statement does not, however, diminish what Manning is all about. It merely helps shed some light about one of the two QBs we're talking about.

Personally, I think the whole argument (Brady vs. Manning) is a bit silly, as I see both QBs as elite players worthy of their eventual HoF inductions.

TexansLucky13
11-06-2006, 03:18 PM

It's circular logic and all subjective. The point about Brady was just indicative of his coolness under pressure and ability to excel when behind in a game. The statement does not, however, diminish what Manning is all about. It merely helps shed some light about one of the two QBs we're talking about.

Personally, I think the whole argument (Brady vs. Manning) is a bit silly, as I see both QBs as elite players worthy of their eventual HoF inductions.

I am officially labeling DB as "The Rep Magnet".

Excellent post, as usual.

:thumbup

Kaiser Toro
11-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Once Manning wins a Super Bowl and his career remains injury free, the conversation, in my opinion, ends on who is the greatest QB.

TexansLucky13
11-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Once Manning wins a Super Bowl and his career remains injury free, the conversation, in my opinion, ends on who is the greatest QB.

What you meant to say was "IF" Peyton wins a Super Bowl.

Don't worry... I've got your back KT.

:ok:

AtheGreat
11-06-2006, 03:52 PM

i have absolutely no bias on this topic at all (see avatar), but i would have to say everything you said is beyond true. Payton For Governor!

Double Barrel
11-06-2006, 04:05 PM

No doubt...Joe Montana :cowboy1:

Kaiser Toro
11-06-2006, 05:18 PM

Right now I would concur with Elway and Marino right behind in my opinion.

Texan Asylum
11-06-2006, 05:35 PM

Right now I would concur with Elway and Marino right behind in my opinion.

Can't forget about Aikman...even if he is/was a Cowboy.

thunderkyss
11-06-2006, 06:15 PM
that's a foolish argument, actually.

I am officially labeling DB as "The Rep Magnet".

Excellent post, as usual.

:thumbup

If you all feel this way, can we please stop beeing coy with all this Team Winning crap & come right out and admit that the QB is a big part of a team winning and losing games. Then apply that same type of thinking to our situation here in Houston, with our QB??

Or...... you can tell me I'm right, and Tom Brady's rings have nothing on what Peyton has been able to accomplish.

Texansfan36
11-06-2006, 06:24 PM
OMG you guys (and gals) are totally forgetting about Good ol' number 4. Brett Farve for prez!!! But on a serious note, there is no denying that Peyton is one of the best QB's to ever play the game(as much as I hate to admit it). I still don't want the Colts to win a SB and if that means Manning or Dungy never winning one then so be it, thats my :twocents:. Alot of it(okay all of it) has to do with the Colts being division rivals and all. If the Colts were in a different divison I would totally be rooting my butt of for Peyton and Dungy, so as long as they beat the Jags and Titans I'll be happy. :bananasplit:

GO TEXANS!!!!!!

The Dream
11-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Manning > Brady. :twocents:

Txn_in_Oki
11-06-2006, 07:15 PM
What I like about Manning is his complete control over the offense. Sure, a good d can crash the line and shake him up but for the most part he is in control, knows what is going on and makes a defense pay for any mistake they make. If I built a team as an owner from the ground up and had to choose one player as my franchise guy he would be it, no doubt.

Damn I hate that guy.

YoungTexanFan
11-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Peyton is the best thrower in the NFL. I think he's the best QB period.

I really feel that McNabb is the best thrower in the NFL, but I agree that Peyton is the best QB.

edo783
11-06-2006, 08:11 PM
If Brady and Manning were commanding the exact same group and they were in the final 2 Min. and had to win a real tight one with the oppossing defense being strong with the rush, I would take Brady to win. If I were looking to take the same group through a season and have the most wins, I would take Manning. I think Manning is the better QB (maybe the best ever), but at crunch time, in a real hard tight one, I would take Brady.

Colts Addict
11-06-2006, 11:18 PM
I think its funny you all are having this debate over here. Us Colts fans have been having this same debate for years over at our board with the Pats fans. Its cool to see some different, outside perspectives on the subject.

To chime in here and of course, I am biased on the subject... but I would stick with Peyton, no matter if we ever get to the SB or not. Since he has come to Indy, our entire city has changed. We actually have something to cheer for on Sunday's again. I wouldn't trade that for anything in the world... Brady can have his 3 rings... I will stick with Peyton.

run-david-run
11-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Does Joe Montana's four rings make him better than Marino? Dan has all the stats, but never had a good defense, and doesn't have a ring. So which one is 'better', Montana or Marino?

It's the same thing with Brady and Manning. One has the superior arm and talent, but the other makes plays in crunch time. I don't think you could go wrong with either player, to be honest. I'd take Manning as a franchise QB, but if it was one game that had to be won, I'd take Brady.

They are both the two best QBs in football right now, hands down. Debating who is 'better' is subjective at best.

What I find amusing is that the 'experts' said pocket passers were going to be a thing of the past because of the "new breed" of running QBs. Shows what 'experts' know about these things.I have always found the comparisons between Manning and Brady, or, far more appropriatley, the Colts and Patriots amuzing. Everyone agrees that both are great qb's, and rightly so, but Brady gets all the credit for playing on a team with ussualy a great D (or at least one that comes up with big plays) and the best kicker ever. On the other hand, Peyton is expected to overcome a perenaly bad defense with one playmaker (Freeney) and a kicker who has shanked almost every significant kick in his career. It takes a team to win, not just a few great players among a roster of 53.

thunderkyss
11-07-2006, 08:45 PM
I have always found the comparisons between Manning and Brady, or, far more appropriatley, the Colts and Patriots amuzing. Everyone agrees that both are great qb's, and rightly so, but Brady gets all the credit for playing on a team with ussualy a great D (or at least one that comes up with big plays) and the best kicker ever. On the other hand, Peyton is expected to overcome a perenaly bad defense with one playmaker (Freeney) and a kicker who has shanked almost every significant kick in his career. It takes a team to win, not just a few great players among a roster of 53.

I also find it funny when we talk about David, it's a team game, but when the talk is Brady vs Indy, it's all about the rings.

ATX_Texan
11-07-2006, 09:48 PM
In the end winning is what really matters. The difference is that Peyton Manning never can win the big game. At Tenn., he never could get past Florida. They were in his head much like the Pats in the NFL.

He has always been great at beating inferior teams and he loves to pump up his stats and run up the score when he gets a team down. I will give him the run as the "God" of fantasy football. He should get the praise for his accomplishments because he loves to improvise at the line and let everyone know that he is in total control of the offense.

The problem is when he has to play against a real defense. In the playoffs, he has been exposed over and over again. When the pressure is on, Peyton folds and all his little tricks at the line cannot save him. Peyton has more weapons on offense than any team since the St. Louis Rams in 1999. Still his only excuse for the playoff failures is that the line let him down. Most great quarterbacks can run an offense based on a game plan and then improvise when things go bad. Peyton wants to run the show when everything is wonderful, but he cannot save himself when there is any adversity.

Brady is the clutch quaterback. He may have a better defense backing him up. However, Peyton has a way of making defenses look better with his bone headed plays. Brady never had receivers or a running back like the Colts. He does not put up eye popping stats. He just has a way to putting together game winning drives and pulling out victories when defeat appears likely.

Bottom line:

Peyton = Marino & Moon
Brady = Montana

Double Barrel
11-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Or...... you can tell me I'm right, and Tom Brady's rings have nothing on what Peyton has been able to accomplish.

As a fan, what would you rather have: David Carr in the HoF with ungodly stats (but no championships), or David Carr with three rings (and average stats)?

It's a no brainer, IMO.

I have always found the comparisons between Manning and Brady, or, far more appropriatley, the Colts and Patriots amuzing. Everyone agrees that both are great qb's, and rightly so, but Brady gets all the credit for playing on a team with ussualy a great D (or at least one that comes up with big plays) and the best kicker ever. On the other hand, Peyton is expected to overcome a perenaly bad defense with one playmaker (Freeney) and a kicker who has shanked almost every significant kick in his career. It takes a team to win, not just a few great players among a roster of 53.

What I don't understand is folks acting like the Colts defense sucks. It's been good enough to get them to playoffs year after year, so I find this argument to be a bit weak. It might not be as good as the Patriots, but Brady hasn't had a HoF WR catching his passes for most of his career, either. You simply cannot discount Marvin Harrison's contributions to Mannning's success. Both teams have been consistent and good enough to win in the playoffs, but for some reason, Brady's team is the one that keeps coming out on top when it counts.

I also find it funny when we talk about David, it's a team game, but when the talk is Brady vs Indy, it's all about the rings.

I think it's a bit of both, really. Great QBs elevate the game of those around them, and great teams elevate great QBs. Which comes first? This is the great debate.

Manning is good enough that he should get at least one ring in his career. It can't keep being the team's fault, or the defense isn't good enough, or whatever. At some point he's got to make the plays that put his team into a position to win. This is what makes great QBs into legendary QBs.

If Brady and Manning were commanding the exact same group and they were in the final 2 Min. and had to win a real tight one with the oppossing defense being strong with the rush, I would take Brady to win. If I were looking to take the same group through a season and have the most wins, I would take Manning. I think Manning is the better QB (maybe the best ever), but at crunch time, in a real hard tight one, I would take Brady.

Exactly, I agree (except for the best ever part....see above).

You really can't take anything away from either QB. And fortunately for both of them, they've both got the fortune of playing on great teams.

DBCooper
11-08-2006, 02:17 PM
I think Peyton is the best quarterback to ever play. He needs that ring to solidify that position in the minds of alot of people.

thunderkyss
11-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Manning is good enough that he should get at least one ring in his career.

You really can't take anything away from either QB. And fortunately for both of them, they've both got the fortune of playing on great teams.

Is Rothlisberger, Brad Johnson, or Trent Dilfer better than Manning??

I think not.

Just because Brady has three rings, it doesn't change my grade that Peyton is the best......... maybe even best ever.

Had Peyton played with Belichick(sp) he'd have 6 rings by now.

Double Barrel
11-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Is Rothlisberger, Brad Johnson, or Trent Dilfer better than Manning??

I think not.

Just because Brady has three rings, it doesn't change my grade that Peyton is the best......... maybe even best ever.

Had Peyton played with Belichick(sp) he'd have 6 rings by now.

I never said rings were the only qualifier. But if you discount a QB with three rings, I don't know what to tell you. You appear to have a blind bias that allows me to discount your opinion about this particular subject.

As far as Manning with Belichick, who knows? Maybe he makes mistakes under pressure and still can't win the big games. It is pure speculation no matter how you slice and dice it. Give Brady a WR like Harrison his whole career and maybe he's got three more rings. This game can be played both ways.

Again, I'm not dissin' Manning. Dude is one of the two best QBs in the NFL right now. I just don't understand how some of you folks act like Brady is not a good QB. Be objective is all I ask.

Second Honeymoon
11-08-2006, 07:29 PM

There may have been more successful QBs than Peyton but I can't think of any QB with the combination of genius QB intellect and mad passing skills that Peyton has. I can't stand him but with a SuperBowl win, I think he could go down as perhaps the best EVER. However, if he cant even get to the big game much less win the big game, he will be viewed as a great player ala Marino, Jim Kelly and Warren 'El Choker' Moon but not mentioned with the modern day NFL greats (Montana, Staubach, Bradshaw, Aikman, Elway) You have to win the big one to be considered the elite of the elite.

It's a crying shame Peyton plays in our division during his heyday and our development....hopefully we can smack him around once we get our defense together....i really want Mario to just envelop him and drive him to the turf

thunderkyss
11-08-2006, 07:49 PM
I never said rings were the only qualifier. But if you discount a QB with three rings, I don't know what to tell you. You appear to have a blind bias that allows me to discount your opinion about this particular subject.

As far as Manning with Belichick, who knows? Maybe he makes mistakes under pressure and still can't win the big games. It is pure speculation no matter how you slice and dice it. Give Brady a WR like Harrison his whole career and maybe he's got three more rings. This game can be played both ways.

Again, I'm not dissin' Manning. Dude is one of the two best QBs in the NFL right now. I just don't understand how some of you folks act like Brady is not a good QB. Be objective is all I ask.

I've never said Brady wasn't a good QB. I just said Peyton was the best. All I get back, is that Brady wins the tough games, and Peyton Chokes....

Far as I can tell, Peyton doesn't make any more mistakes under pressure than Brady does..... and(I don't know if you are in this group or not) when last I checked, winning games is about more than one player. Even the QB. So telling me that Brady is better because he has more rings doesn't really work.

Maybe that's not what you are saying, but that is what is being said in this thread........... I'm sorry if I wasn't able to seperate you from the rest of the pack.

Double Barrel
11-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Maybe that's not what you are saying, but that is what is being said in this thread........... I'm sorry if I wasn't able to seperate you from the rest of the pack.

No prob, T. I think we pretty much agree on many things about Manning and Brady, but just have them ranked differently based upon our own individual criteria.

I did not mean to assume you were dissin' Brady, but I can certainly understand why a lot of folks have Manning rated so high.

But I will wait until the end of his career to make Manning the 'best QB ever'. :shades:

phan1
11-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Well, the Colts can rely on him to 1) soak up all the cap space and 2) choke in the playoffs. But yeah, he's the best QB in the NFL, what can I say... He's going to pretty much shatter all the record books by the time he's through.

thunderkyss
11-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Well, the Colts can rely on him to 1) soak up all the cap space and 2) choke in the playoffs. But yeah, he's the best QB in the NFL, what can I say... He's going to pretty much shatter all the record books by the time he's through.

I wish I had a QB that would choke in the play-offs.......

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Surely our coach would be able to coach around that problem.....