PDA

View Full Version : Regardless, I'm pleased that we're getting better

valleytexfan
11-05-2006, 05:21 PM
I know we lost, and there were chances to win...against the GIANTS. A good team.
The defense played well and Carr bounced back nicely. Props to the offensive line on pass protection.
THE TEXANS ARE GETTING BETTER, GUYS. Anyone can see it and it's going to pay off later!!!
I'm STILL a Texan. Go Texans!!:redtowel:

bah007
11-05-2006, 05:23 PM
I liked Wynn as the return guy.

Ryans had 10 tackles & a sack.

Carr took care of the ball.

Johnson had 9 catches.

Defense played well.

trutexan02
11-05-2006, 05:25 PM
I know we lost, and there were chances to win...against the GIANTS. A good team.
The defense played well and Carr bounced back nicely. Props to the offensive line on pass protection.
THE TEXANS ARE GETTING BETTER, GUYS. Anyone can see it and it's going to pay off later!!!
Ditto that!

Merlin
11-05-2006, 05:27 PM

2 and 6? I think the first step in solving a problem is admitting there is one. Houston, we have a problem.

thunderkyss
11-05-2006, 05:27 PM

I agree with everything but the Giants are a good team part. They were limping to begin with, Plax out of the game...... We should have been able to keep Tiki under 100 yards, or not allowed Shockey to have a career day against us.

valleytexfan
11-05-2006, 05:29 PM
I know 2-6 is bad for the first half of the season, but the Texans are improving. They look like a real football team at times.
Sure they make mistakes, ones that can and need to be corrected.
But Gary Kubiak is doing a fine job molding this team. They've got eight more games left, people, and they've already matched last season's win total.

belars44
11-05-2006, 05:30 PM

Better than what? Year 1? Not at this pace. Oh you mean than after last week.....well yea, but unfortunately there is always NEXT week. And Carr has yet to show he can compete 2 weeks straight, stop blowing so I don't bust your balloon.

The Pencil Neck
11-05-2006, 05:30 PM
2 and 6? I think the first step in solving a problem is admitting there is one. Houston, we have a problem.

You don't think firing the coaching staff and getting rid of a bunch of players isn't admitting a problem?

Merlin
11-05-2006, 05:31 PM
I know 2-6 is bad for the first half of the season, but the Texans are improving. They look like a real football team at times.
Sure they make mistakes, ones that can and need to be corrected.
But Gary Kubiak is doing a fine job molding this team. They've got eight more games left, people, and they've already matched last season's win total.

I agree wholeheartedly. I like Kubiak and I like what he's doing.

valleytexfan
11-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Better than what? Year 1? Not at this pace. Oh you mean than after last week.....well yea, but unfortunately there is always NEXT week. And Carr has yet to show he can compete 2 weeks straight, stop blowing so I don't bust your balloon.

Schedule gets a lot more favorable in the second half of the season. Look, I also want the Texans to win every game they play, but this team was a disaster last season. If you can't see that they're better than last year, that's your thing.

Merlin
11-05-2006, 05:34 PM
You don't think firing the coaching staff and getting rid of a bunch of players isn't admitting a problem?

No, I think that was a good start. I like Gary and I think he will get all of this together. I know it won't happen overnight. I'm not going to settle though for 2 and 6. We can and should do better. I think even Gary would agree with that.

belars44
11-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Schedule gets a lot more favorable in the second half of the season. Look, I also want the Texans to win every game they play, but this team was a disaster last season. If you can't see that they're better than last year, that's your thing.

But we have "progressed" right? Are we better than 3 years ago? No, and if you can't see that, that's because you chose to watch this 5 year disaster late.

stingray
11-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Dude, We have a knew coach. Jimi johnson went 1-15 his first season. And then what happened? Did you expect them to go 16-0. If this was Kubiaks 3rd season then I would Agree but it's his first. Give him at least a couple of years.Better than what? Year 1? Not at this pace. Oh you mean than after last week.....well yea, but unfortunately there is always NEXT week. And Carr has yet to show he can compete 2 weeks straight, stop blowing so I don't bust your balloon.

valleytexfan
11-05-2006, 05:37 PM
But we have "progressed" right? Are we better than 3 years ago? No, and if you can't see that, that's because you chose to watch this 5 year disaster late.

You guys need to stop living in 2004...nobody said anything about "progressing" from 2004. All I said was "improving" from 2005, the latest season of disappoinment and the starting point for the rebuilding project.

pancho
11-05-2006, 05:38 PM
And Bush is the Bust and the girls lost.

belars44
11-05-2006, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=raytex;490489]Dude, We have a knew coach. Jimi johnson went 1-15 his first season. And then what happened? Did you expect them to go 16-0. If this was Kubiaks 3rd season then I would Agree but it's his first. Give him at least a couple of years.[/QUOTE

As Nirvana once sang........."Smells Like Team Capers."

bah007
11-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Our defense held the NFL's #4 offense (370 yds per game) to 285 yds. That is 85 yds below their average.

We held their #4 rush offense (146 yds per game) to 122 yds. That is 24 yds below their average.

They averaged 224 yds per game passing and we held them to 163. Well below their average.

They also average 26 points per game (#6 in the NFL) and we held them to 14.

That looks like a vast improvement on defense.

Roughnecks
11-05-2006, 05:49 PM
What impressed me was the D man they looked like they had attitude from the 2nd quarter on. After last week I gave us no chance to win but was surprised how they played a TD in the 3rd quarter wow. What gets me hot is Kris Brown what is his problem missing a field goal come on. Is it just me or has Chad Stanley forgot how to punt if I am not mistaken two 35 yard punts come on. Overall I was happy with the play just came up short if Cook holds on to the ball it might have been a win today but oh well.

Kaiser Toro
11-05-2006, 05:50 PM

Why does everyone let Houston know about their problems? Are Houstonians know for problem solving? ;)

Insideop
11-05-2006, 05:53 PM

You beat me to the punch "Neck." I guess some "fans" have a short memory or they are just "Dazed and Confuzed." lol:

I think Kubiak is doing everything he can to "fix the problems," but it's not going to happen over night. Give it some time. At least another year. They need another free agency and draft period to get some more talent (DT, O-line, CB, LB, etc..). Give Kubes a chance! Denver wasn't built in a day! :twocents:

Merlin
11-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Why does everyone let Houston know about their problems? Are Houstonians know for problem solving? ;)

Just the big ones. Space craft blow-ups, oil well fires, a big place for putting hurricane refuges and carr problems.

I know, that last one was a cheap shot. :rolleyes:

Ole Miss Texan
11-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Dude, We have a knew coach. Jimi johnson went 1-15 his first season. And then what happened? Did you expect them to go 16-0. If this was Kubiaks 3rd season then I would Agree but it's his first. Give him at least a couple of years.

Offensive Coordinator= Rookie and has a Rookie Head Coach
Defensive Coordinator=1year "Veteran" and has a rookie head coach

This is new to the coaches, not just the players and Kubes. I like what I'm seeing and really think it's going to help the team improved vastly.

I loved Mario's reaction to the BOGUS personal foul. Showed us he does indeed have some fire. Demeco showed great leadership during the game esp. then talking to Mario and pulling him away.

The Pencil Neck
11-05-2006, 06:11 PM
No, I think that was a good start. I like Gary and I think he will get all of this together. I know it won't happen overnight. I'm not going to settle though for 2 and 6. We can and should do better. I think even Gary would agree with that.

So what are you going to do about it? I don't comprehend people making statements like this. The only things you don't "settle" for are things you have control over.

The Pencil Neck
11-05-2006, 06:13 PM

Why on earth would you compare this year to 2-3 years ago if it's not the same coaching staff? What happened when we were 7-9 is gone with the wind. Any good things we had coming out of that year were lost last year. Let it go.

belars44
11-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Why on earth would you compare this year to 2-3 years ago if it's not the same coaching staff? What happened when we were 7-9 is gone with the wind. Any good things we had coming out of that year were lost last year. Let it go.

So this "organization" is headed in the right direction?

The Pencil Neck
11-05-2006, 06:23 PM
So this "organization" is headed in the right direction?

Looks like it to me.

Merlin
11-05-2006, 06:25 PM
So what are you going to do about it? I don't comprehend people making statements like this. The only things you don't "settle" for are things you have control over.

I'm not sure there is anything I can do about it and I certainly didn't mean it to be an bad statement. I meant it in the way that I wasn't happy with 2 and 6, we should be able to do better. Sorry. I'll try to do better in future posts.

belars44
11-05-2006, 06:26 PM
Looks like it to me.

Then you are just the person who needs to buy my PSL's. They are only $7200 for the 2 seats I have plus the season ticket cost per year. A drop in the bucket of an investment for you then. You obviously see the value and would be foolhardy to pass this offer up. You may message me for the details at any time.

Ole Miss Texan
11-05-2006, 06:31 PM
I'm not sure there is anything I can do about it and I certainly didn't mean it to be an bad statement. I meant it in the way that I wasn't happy with 2 and 6, we should be able to do better. Sorry. I'll try to do better in future posts.

I remember before the season thinking, well we could easily get 0 wins the first 6 games. I would be pleased with 2 and thrilled with 3. I know our record easily could be better than it is, but I'd rather be a 2-6 team that's better than their record, than a 2-6 team that is worse than their record.:cool:

tsip
11-05-2006, 07:27 PM

...so let's compare a couple things about our 2006 team to our 'everything was new' team of 2002---

AVG OFF YDS PER GAME 2002-277 2006-289
AVG PTS SCORED PER GAME 2002-13.4 2006-16.4
AVG PTS ALLOWED " " 2002- 26.8 2006- 24.5

...2-6 was the record both years after 8 games-12 more ypg (2006), 3 more pts scored (2006), 2.3 more pts allowed per game (2002):yikes:

infantrycak
11-05-2006, 07:46 PM
You need to recheck your stats--the Texans had an average of 223.3 ypg in 2002. No way we averaged then or now anything close to 400 ypg.

thunderkyss
11-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Our defense held the NFL's #4 offense (370 yds per game) to 285 yds. That is 85 yds below their average.

We held their #4 rush offense (146 yds per game) to 122 yds. That is 24 yds below their average.

They averaged 224 yds per game passing and we held them to 163. Well below their average.

They also average 26 points per game (#6 in the NFL) and we held them to 14.

That looks like a vast improvement on defense.

yeah, that's what I meant to say.

GuerillaBlack
11-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Mario had a sack.

Texas
11-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Amen to this freaking thread!

The Pencil Neck
11-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Then you are just the person who needs to buy my PSL's. They are only $7200 for the 2 seats I have plus the season ticket cost per year. A drop in the bucket of an investment for you then. You obviously see the value and would be foolhardy to pass this offer up. You may message me for the details at any time.

If I lived in Houston, I would.

The Pencil Neck
11-05-2006, 08:28 PM
...so let's compare a couple things about our 2006 team to our 'everything was new' team of 2002---

AVG OFF YDS PER GAME 2002-369 2006-386
AVG PTS SCORED PER GAME 2002-13.4 2006-16.4
AVG PTS ALLOWED " " 2002- 26.8 2006- 24.5

...2-6 was the record both years after 8 games-17 more ypg (2006), 3 more pts scored (2006), 2.3 more pts allowed per game (2002):yikes:

Let's see, I say that we shouldn't compare this team to the 7-9 team because that's 2 years removed and you go out and compare it against the 2002 team? Huh? What's your point?

tsip
11-05-2006, 09:10 PM
You need to recheck your stats--the Texans had an average of 223.3 ypg in 2002. No way we averaged then or now anything close to 400 ypg.

...sorry, I'd divided by 6 instead of 8...thanks

tsip
11-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Let's see, I say that we shouldn't compare this team to the 7-9 team because that's 2 years removed and you go out and compare it against the 2002 team? Huh? What's your point?

The point is that 'everything' in 2002 was by far more 'new' than 2006, which is an excuse some posters are using for less than 'stellar' results so far in '06.

Too, many posters keep saying how much better our offense is this year under Kubiak, but-IMO-that simply is not true. We still have a 'dink and dunk' passing attack that does not attack the middle of the field, and we're still 'coached not to lose.'

JMO, but I'm still wandering how our offense--which is so similar to previous years--is going to lead us to the playoffs...:brickwall

Sco-tai
11-05-2006, 09:18 PM
I would have like to see us win today. But the fact that this turned out the be a "win-able game" says a lot about our team. We squandered our chance to win last week and we looked much improved today.

Carr bounced back great. The O-line played much better. Mario & Ryans looked very VERY good. And we have a really good group of WR's & TE's.

I'm excited about the 2nd half of this season and ESPECIALLY excited about years 2 & 3 of this coaching staff.

Disappointed about a 2 - 6 record...but excited about our direction/future.

:redtowel:

belars44
11-05-2006, 09:57 PM

I don't live in Houston.

Kaiser Toro
11-05-2006, 09:58 PM

I don't live in Houston.

Zac
11-05-2006, 10:11 PM
I think this team needs to get the imaginary tag of expansion team off it's back. There is a lot of talent on the team. But, for some reason, I think that the team doesn't beleive it should win. It still feels sorry for itself.

Kubes has done a great job of "Cutting" and "Reprimanding" players who have a negative attitude, and now it appears that the overal Team culture might be changing.

The 7-9 team had talent to win more games. Last years 2-14 team had talent to win 8 or 9 games. But the Texans team culture is and was ridiculous.

Benching Carr last week was the best thing that could have happed to Carr so far. It put the Offensive linemen and Carr on the Spot!!

The team Culture may develop a winning attitude if Kubes directs them in the Right direction.

But, now I'm excited about Kubes drafting abilities for next season. This draft class has been the best I've seen since. I can't even remember the Houston Oilers have one that has had so much potential.

Williams
Ryans
Spencer
Winston
Daniels
Lundi

All of them figure to be contributors. Shame that Dayne took out Spencer, but that's life in the NFL.

TxAg
11-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Valleytexfan I'm with you they are getting better and Mario is finally getting super GO TEXANS:redtowel:

The Pencil Neck
11-05-2006, 10:24 PM
I don't live in Houston.

I didn't say that you did. I said that if I lived in Houston, I would. Where you live is irrelevant to me.

thunderkyss
11-05-2006, 11:04 PM
We still have a 'dink and dunk' passing attack that does not attack the middle of the field, and we're still 'coached not to lose.'

JMO, but I'm still wandering how our offense--which is so similar to previous years--is going to lead us to the playoffs...:brickwall

Young teams are coached till they get it right.......

Veteran teams are coached until they can't get it wrong.....

That's pretty much where we are at. You can see Kubiak is trying to be as agressive as he can be....... 5 wide outs, empty backfield......

I mean he's got that headset on, he could tell David who to throw it too, but I doubt that will work as well as you'd think it would.

thunderkyss
11-05-2006, 11:06 PM

I don't live in Houston.

Honoring Earl 34
11-05-2006, 11:17 PM
I thought we did some good things today and showed progress . I thought we got physical with them .

I think Mario has found them fast twitch muscles ... not because of the sack but the way he knocks the poop out of the TE with a punch . I've seen this two weeks in a row .

I don't want my FB getting the ball in a crucial time anymore than I want Chuck Hays for the Rockets .

run-david-run
11-05-2006, 11:57 PM

wow. would Tiki fumbling his last carry and us returning it for a TD and a win have made us a better team? we would have won, but except for one play, we would still be a team capable of 2-6. all around this was a very good performance. this same giants team blew up Dallas in Dallas, Atlanta in Atlanta and beat Philly in Philly. yes, we did lose, but we were one big play away from beating a very good team on the road. there are no moral victories in the nfl, but seeing your team finally compete against a very good team after a year and a half of looking clueless and out of thier league is as close as you will ever come.

cbnjwill
11-06-2006, 12:59 AM
man i am amazed that after 5yrs there are people on this message board who are glad we are getting better and showing progress in a 2-6 season. yeah the first two yrs of expansion i was happy when we competed or when david didnt make alot of mistakes. now however after losing 20 of our last 24 games i much more critical and expect alot more from this team. im reading what a great game david played today. i didnt see a great game look he completed 21 passes that went for a total of 176 yards. that tells me he completed a bunch of short passes.its great he stayed away from the mistakes today but as usual he didnt make any plays either. i just cant get to excited about my 5th yr qb racking up 176 yards and 10pts in the game. aj is our only playmaker on offense and it shows. the defense is getting better but i think we need playmakers on offense. moulds is a possession wr at this point in his career and while lundy has done a good job at times hes certainly no homerun hitter combine that with carrs inability to make plays and you have a pretty boring offense that struggles to consistently score. i just wish people would stop making excuses and treating this team like a first yr expansion team, that was yrs ago they shouldnt be this bad for so long. 4-20 record over the last yr and a half and we still run david out there every week. untill we make some drastic changes i think we will continue to see mor ugly football on sundays. i know there will be jackonsville typed games from time to time but this team is long way away from being consistently good

valleytexfan
11-06-2006, 01:09 AM
I respectfully disagree. This is practically an expansion team. You can thank last year's 2-14 debacle for that.
While I don't make excuses for the Texans, I'll say that I, for one, have the patience to see this rebuilding project through. That's what many of you don't understand. The Texans are starting over. That means throw out 2002-2005. They're gone. The coach is gone, a crapload of the players are gone, and the general manager is gone. That era is over. You can't draw from that anymore.
That said, I'd love to see results in the form of W's too. But with everything anew how can you seriously expect more than what you're getting right now?

HJam72
11-06-2006, 01:32 AM
If you want to get mad at somebody for the condition we are in, blame Casserly, Capers, Fangio, and Pendry in whatever order. You can even throw in Palmer if you must. The problem is not that we are an expansion team, because we are not that anymore. What we are is a team in the very beginning of its SECOND era or regime and we are REBUILDING. The first era of this franchise is over and it was a failure. There's no point in saying, "This is our 5th year and I expect this or that," because this is the first year of our current regime. The other teams' fans don't say, "This is our 35th year or our 57th year and I expect us to compete for the SB by now." They judge it by how long the current coaching staff has been in place and the age of the players in general. We are in our current HC's first year and our players are still generally young. It sucks that our first regime was clueless, but let's get over it and stop blaming Kubiak for their incompetence.