PDA

View Full Version : Why can't our defense intercept some balls?

TexanFanInCC
11-01-2006, 04:13 PM
maybe its unfortunate luck, maybe our secondary isnt that good...but who are the bright spots?

what are yall explanations?

powerfuldragon
11-01-2006, 04:17 PM
Aaron Glenn.

HJam72
11-01-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not Aaron Glenn's fault. I never even see him out there. :)

MissouriTexan
11-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Where did Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman go?

bah007
11-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Ever since Aaron Glenn left for Dallas our secondary has been downright ugly.

Marcus
11-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Don't look for the secondary to get any interceptions until they are able to make plays on the ball.

They won't be able to make those plays until the the front 4 down linemen can get pressure without someone else helping out on a blitz.

run-david-run
11-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Drob has been close the last few weeks. He's jumped a few routes, but ironicaly enough the QB ussualy gets hit and makes a bad throw, stoping him from picking the ball. Turnovers tend to come in bunches, someone needs to make a play or get a lucky break and they could start flowing.

brewhaus
11-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Where did Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman go?

They both went to the Cowgirls. Glenn is still with the team but Coleman got released (I think).

Double Barrel
11-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Don't look for the secondary to get any interceptions until they are able to make plays on the ball.

They won't be able to make those plays until the the front 4 down linemen can get pressure without someone else helping out on a blitz.

BINGO! We have to make QBs rush their throws and make bad decisions. We give opposing QBs way too much time in the pocket, and they just wait for something to develop. Defensive backs can only cover guys so long before things start to break down, especially as the game goes on and their legs get tired.

infantrycak
11-01-2006, 05:53 PM
BINGO! We have to make QBs rush their throws and make bad decisions. We give opposing QBs way too much time in the pocket, and they just wait for something to develop. Defensive backs can only cover guys so long before things start to break down, especially as the game goes on and their legs get tired.

The other answer is blown coverages. 3 of the DB's might be doing an excellent job but when VY can look down field and not see a Texan within 10 yds of the WR it is a pretty easy sure fire TD read and no way it is getting intercepted. Way too inconsistent or maybe that is way to consistent about having blown coverages.

Texan_Bill
11-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Because DC plays for us.....

Sorry, I couldn't resist!!!

NFLforher
11-01-2006, 07:48 PM

Exactly. Football is a team sport.

Grid
11-01-2006, 08:28 PM
I dunno..but it could possibly be the system. I mean... not only have we not had any interceptions, but we rarely see our receivers even in a position to make an interception.

That could be a lack of talent in our secondary, or.. it may be the way our defense is being run now, or it may be a combination of both. But, I find it hard to believe that we dont have an interception simply because we lack talent.. Faggins and Robinson arent slouches. Maybe not the greatest CB duo in the league..but they are more than capable of causing a few turnovers.

hot pickle
11-01-2006, 08:43 PM
i think its the lack of a better pass rush, but mainly i think its just the DB's on are team are just not that good :redtowel:

axman40
11-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Cause stickem was outlawed !

:redtowel:

mexican_texan
11-01-2006, 09:22 PM
CC Brown. I put it all on him.

edo783
11-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Sooo, they are trying to intercept balls???? Are they short of balls and need to get some???? Not sure what is happening with this shortage thing.

TexansSeminole
11-01-2006, 11:24 PM
We are really having problems forcing turnovers. The defenses that force turnovers, those defenses are the best. We need interceptions and we need our DL to force some QB fumbles. I am starting to think that DT is a huge need on this team. All the DTs we've drafted haven't panned out.

TexansSeminole
11-01-2006, 11:27 PM
I dunno..but it could possibly be the system. I mean... not only have we not had any interceptions, but we rarely see our receivers even in a position to make an interception.

I've seen our secondary consistantly getting beat in coverage in almost every game of this season. I don't think it is the system.

AustinJB
11-01-2006, 11:47 PM
While we definitely need an upgrade in talent....FWIW, I think it is mostly coaching, or a lack thereof. Hear me out...

While there have been a few blatantly blown coverages where the receiver was all alone, these only stand out b/c they were so obvious (ironically, they all seem to be on CC's side...hmmmm). The thing that is more frustrating than that to me is that our DBs hardly EVER look to make a play on the ball.

They will actually have decent coverage on a WR and they just keep their eyes locked on the WR and never look to make a play. Reference the Dallas game where TO had defenders all around him, but was never challenged for the catch. Our players just ran beside him and watched him make the catch and then tried to tackle him. They don't try to raise their hands, bat the ball, or even look towards where the ball is coming from...nothing. CC, Earl, Sanders have been the worst in this area.

The only players that I HAVE seen at least try is DRob on occasion, Simmons, and Faggins since he's been back. While they are still young, these are our most experienced players so they have learned at least a little better technique and know when to have your head on a swivel. Inexperienced Sanders and our pass-coverage challenged safeties have a more difficult time. To me it seems that this is something that should be easily corrected with coaching. Drill it into their head to look for the ball and at least act like you're trying to bat the ball away or....heaven forbid....catch the D@%# thing!