PDA

View Full Version : Article in the NY Post

joedinkle
11-01-2006, 12:28 AM
Just a snippet...
"Well to be honest with you, I didnt know we played the Bears until you just said it, but I"m thinking about Houston, to be honest with you," Jacobs said. "I know the Bears are doing well, they're winning, they're undefeated. I don't care who comes in here. We gotta keep pluggin."...

"Obviously, the Bears are the hot, sexy team right now," Barber said. "They're 7-0, the proverbial best team in the NFC right now. That's a challenge for us, but our focus is on Houston."

Because they are The Professionals.

"Houston beat Jacksonville two weeks ago," Manning said.

"Houston beat Jacksonville a couple of weeks ago," Burress said.

"Now bring on Sage Rosenfels."

The Giants are definitely focused on us. Is there any chance we can pull this one out?

NYSportsfreak
11-01-2006, 12:46 AM
I really hope they're focused. Last time the Giants weren't focused against the Texans they played a much worse Texans team which was in its first season and lost. But honestly those are just words.

Mysteryhunt
11-01-2006, 04:39 AM
i'd say there is little to no chance of us winning since the giants have more talent than us at virtually every position. that said, sometimes talent doesn't matter and the underdog just goes off.

Hookem Horns
11-01-2006, 06:58 AM
I really hope they're focused. Last time the Giants weren't focused against the Texans they played a much worse Texans team which was in its first season and lost. But honestly those are just words.

I honestly don't know how much worse that first Texans team was compared to this one. In 2002 the Texans defense and David Carr were better. Yes I know, pretty pathetic. Also, that 2002 Giants team was no where near as good as this 2006 Giants team. Kerry Collins is all I have to say there.

aj.
11-01-2006, 07:06 AM
Collins' bad play and two 4th quarter interceptions iced it. The bad snap over the punter's head for a safety helped too. Some may be surprised that 3/5 of our starting offensive line then was the same as it is now. I may have to pull that tape from the library to reminisce.

And we had Matt Stevens.

And they had Ron Dayne....and Tiki and a high profile rookie named Shockey.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20021124_NYG@HOU

TheTim5125
11-01-2006, 07:31 AM
It gets loud in the meadowlands, the giants have been playing really good football lately.. the score of them vs Tampa Bay last week (14-3) really doesn't mean much because the winds there were ridiculous... i'll be there recieving abuse from giants fans so Go Texans!

Hookem Horns
11-01-2006, 07:34 AM
Wow, Collins had 18 completions with 41 attempts. That's brutal.

Hookem Horns
11-01-2006, 07:40 AM
It gets loud in the meadowlands, the giants have been playing really good football lately.. the score of them vs Tampa Bay last week (14-3) really doesn't mean much because the winds there were ridiculous... i'll be there recieving abuse from giants fans so Go Texans!

Plus I think the Giants had the Monday Night victory hangover. BTW, the score was 17-3.

You'll be alright up there. You might get a little vocal jabbing but that is about it. For the most part Giants fans are pretty classy. Besides, they are not going to rag too much on a AFC team fan, especially Houston.

Texans Horror
11-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Houston can hang with anybody in the league. It's a question of desire and teamwork and not selling themselves short more than anything else at this point. I look to Carr especially to want to make a strong point against a Giants team that is talking about focusing on Houston but can't help but look towards the Bears. Houston over NY.

yourfavoritetexan42
11-01-2006, 08:52 AM
If the texans can stop the run and force the pass while getting a good pass rush, I could see us CONTAINING their offense...not stopping but containing, maybe limiting them to 17 points or so. Texans D has played well past few games.

If Carr comes out and takes care of the football, I could see our offense doing some damage. This will actually be a lot better football game than people make it out to be.

Marcus
11-01-2006, 08:58 AM
Do you remember what the Eagles did to Houston in the first game? Do you remember what Houston did to Jacksonville? Then, last Sunday, look what Jacksonville did to the Eagles, in their house. :yikes:

Ya never know.

And who da thunk that the Steelers would be 2-5, just like we are.

But I do know this.

The Texans are on the rise.:redtowel:

DRIFTAWAY
11-01-2006, 09:02 AM
of course we can pull out a win

If we go out there and execute , minimize our mistakes, and show determination and effort for all 4 quarters, then this game is ours for the taking.

any given sunday

Charter PSL Fan
11-01-2006, 09:08 AM
The Home Boys cant win on the road. Doesn't matter who they play.

phan1
11-01-2006, 10:12 AM
After how we played the last 2 games, I really think we can "hang" with most teams in the league as well... Not sure about this one though.

I think we're not a very good matchup against teams with high-powered offenses (like the Colts), and the NG Giants is about a high-powered as you can get. They have the best set of skill players in the league on that offense. While the front seven has been the big difference in why we've improved the past couple weeks, I still think our secondary is suspect, even with Faggins back. I just don't trust out defense to do much against the Giants, and if things go bad early, expect a very long day...

I'd rather matchup against the Bears to be honest with you.

Buffi2
11-01-2006, 10:31 AM

I'll be there also, but I don't think we will win. On the other hand, if we play our best ball ever and they begin the game chillin' since they are playing us and figure we are an easy win - ya nevah know...but a win for us is not real likely.

My hope is that we show up, don't give up, and don't get blown away. Sad to say, but I'll be happy with a relatively close game. As a Texan fan, I am reduced to being sortof ok with a loss of 10 points or less. That is pretty pathetic, but it is what it is.

Nonetheless, I have hope every Sunday morning that this game will be the one where we turn the corner and this Sunday won't be any different.

:gotexans1

thunderkyss
11-01-2006, 11:36 AM
I've got no doubt that they are focused on Houston. They know, most of all that they are not playing good football right now, and one more "bleh" game can send the team into a tailspin they may not recover from.

Look at the Eagles, they lost 3 in a row, and have fallen fast in their division, and that's with the hottest QB in the league, & the most prolific offense.

Secondly they should understand that Houston might be 2-5, but We are playing like we are 2 & 2(since Miami)...... & we are due a win.

They should also know the team they will face on Sunday will be better than the team they saw play last Sunday, because we are still in the getting better phase of the GaryKubiak era.

rafterticket
11-01-2006, 11:47 AM
The Giants are definitely focused on us. Is there any chance we can pull this one out?

As scary good as they've been over the last few weeks, it would have been nice to think they're overlooking us.

I hope our guys can step up, but the Giants are human, too.

jaayteetx
11-01-2006, 12:25 PM
If we are going to have any chance at all in this game, we have to improve on on stat-turnover differential. We are tied for last in the NFL with -9. A whopping one interception from the defense. Thats not going to do it, not at all. This is a huge problem that needs to be fixed. When was the last time this team scored on defense? Was it the Jacksonville game a few years ago or the KC game? Its been a long time, thats for sure.

NYSportsfreak
11-01-2006, 03:53 PM
I honestly don't know how much worse that first Texans team was compared to this one. In 2002 the Texans defense and David Carr were better. Yes I know, pretty pathetic. Also, that 2002 Giants team was no where near as good as this 2006 Giants team. Kerry Collins is all I have to say there.

How in the world was a rookie Carr better in 2002? Hasn't he been on top in completion percentage all of 2006 so far? I think that he was THE leader for a while, not sure now.

NYSportsfreak
11-01-2006, 03:56 PM

You know what's hilarious? That's the third time someone's made that mistake. I made that mistake first even after watching the entire game, saying that they won 14-3, then it was a newspaper, now you. lol It was 17-3, it was just 14-3 for a long time.

NYSportsfreak
11-01-2006, 04:03 PM
After how we played the last 2 games, I really think we can "hang" with most teams in the league as well... Not sure about this one though.

I think we're not a very good matchup against teams with high-powered offenses (like the Colts), and the NG Giants is about a high-powered as you can get. They have the best set of skill players in the league on that offense. While the front seven has been the big difference in why we've improved the past couple weeks, I still think our secondary is suspect, even with Faggins back. I just don't trust out defense to do much against the Giants, and if things go bad early, expect a very long day...

I'd rather matchup against the Bears to be honest with you.

I won't call the Giants a high powered offense. Eli Manning is still inconsistent as a QB and he makes the offense inconsistent.

Hookem Horns
11-01-2006, 04:20 PM
How in the world was a rookie Carr better in 2002? Hasn't he been on top in completion percentage all of 2006 so far? I think that he was THE leader for a while, not sure now.

He wasn't shelled shocked yet. Carr and leader. That is the first time I have seen those two words in the same sentence. :)

NYSportsfreak
11-01-2006, 04:23 PM
He wasn't shelled shocked yet. Carr and leader. That is the first time I have seen those two words in the same sentence. :)

You probably understand and were playing on words I meant leader in completion %. BTW, you guys played very good D that game. I remember that we couldn't move the ball at all and Tiki had a huge run and I was thinking finally. I don't remember if we got any points after that run.

GiantsJunkie
11-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Hi all,

You know...from the outside, a lot of people really like Carr's numbers and the idea that he really can pass the ball well.

What problems do the fans and coaches see in him that the rest of us who don't watch the Texans each week can't see? It sounded pretty unvelievable that he got benched last week after a couple mistakes.

Good luck - no injuries.

Vinny
11-01-2006, 08:45 PM
My cliff's notes version of what I think of Carr's game is that he has Jeff George's arm, Rob Johnson's decision making skills in the pocket, and the mobility and short passing game of Jeff Garcia (rarely challenges a defense). He struggles in the pocket and makes it tough to block for him while he rarely challenges the deep to medium middle and throws most of his passes underneath the linebacker drops, hence the high completion %. Historically, he only has three games out of nearly 70 starts where he has more than 2TD's plus 200 yards or more in a win...so he doesn't ever put the team on his back although he has been one of the top paid players in the franchise's history.

LT-CE56
11-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Wow, Collins had 18 completions with 41 attempts. That's brutal.

Collins...He would look like Joe Montana 1 week and Ryan Leaf the next. I remember that game...Brutal!!!!

HJam72
11-01-2006, 09:04 PM
My cliff's notes version of what I think of Carr's game is that he has Jeff George's arm, Rob Johnson's decision making skills in the pocket, and the mobility and short passing game of Jeff Garcia (rarely challenges a defense). He struggles in the pocket and makes it tough to block for him while he rarely challenges the deep to medium middle and throws most of his passes underneath the linebacker drops, hence the high completion %. Historically, he only has three games out of nearly 70 starts where he has more than 2TD's plus 200 yards or more in a win...so he doesn't ever put the team on his back although he has been one of the top paid players in the franchise's history.

Not sure exactly how much of that I do and/or don't agree with, but you're right that that's the arguments and you forgot to say that he fumbles too much. He fumbles snaps, he fumbles when he's sacked. He just generally fumbles too much.

thunderkyss
11-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Not sure exactly how much of that I do and/or don't agree with, but you're right that that's the arguments and you forgot to say that he fumbles too much. He fumbles snaps, he fumbles when he's sacked. He just generally fumbles too much.

Kurt Warner fumbled the ball 10 times in 4 games, lost 3. Not only was he benched, but he lost his starting job.

David Carr fumbled the ball 10 times in 7 games, lost 5. He was benched for a half.

Just to put things in perspective.

LT-CE56
11-01-2006, 09:22 PM
The Giants have the Bears next week. That is not a "lock" by any means and that makes this game even more important. After this game, we go back to a pretty hard schedule and with the NFC East, every game is VERY important.

I think they Giants will be PUMPED for this game and they know that this is a MUST win. They have to come out with a W and need to raise their confidence level for the bears.

BUT! I have seen the Giants come out dead in the past and over look teams and lose miserably.

thunderkyss
11-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Whether he throws deep or shallow has more to do with who is calling the plays. You assume incorrectly that it is David Carr's decision to throw the underneath route. The coaches call the plays. Sure he is allowed some leeway to audible but even the audibles are somewhat determined ahead of time by the coaches.

Watch the plays... very rarely is the underneath route the only route. If there are three wide recievers, and a tight end/full back in the pattern, there are usually three options plus a check down.

It's up to the QB to choose where the ball should go.

NYSportsfreak
11-01-2006, 10:46 PM

If Osi plays it won't be great for Carr. He has a pretty good knack at forcing fumbles.

NYSportsfreak
11-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Speaking of what this article is about. You guys should've see Coughlin when he was asked if the Giants were looking ahead towards the Texans. He had this pissed off look and tone of voice saying how the Houston game is the most important game.

Texans_Chick
11-02-2006, 12:31 AM
Hi all,

You know...from the outside, a lot of people really like Carr's numbers and the idea that he really can pass the ball well.

What problems do the fans and coaches see in him that the rest of us who don't watch the Texans each week can't see? It sounded pretty unvelievable that he got benched last week after a couple mistakes.

Good luck - no injuries.

Hi, I'm a mod here and I write 2 blogs about the Texans which means that I am demented, but hopefully in a good way.

The answer to your question can be found in the AOL Texans FanHouse: http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/2006/10/30/david-carr-to-start-against-giants/

I should be doing more Giants-Texans focused entries throughout the week. Please feel free to add thoughtful comments.

Roughnecks
11-02-2006, 01:12 AM
On most games I think our guys stand a chance but after last week I do not see it. Our Oline aginst their Dline is to hard to think about nightmares and things of that nature. I would be happy if they just came to play Sunday. Overall Giants win this one man it is killing me to say such things.

NYSportsfreak
11-02-2006, 01:20 AM
On most games I think our guys stand a chance but after last week I do not see it. Our Oline aginst their Dline is to hard to think about nightmares and things of that nature. I would be happy if they just came to play Sunday. Overall Giants win this one man it is killing me to say such things.

I'm not sure if I read here or on a Giants board. Is it true that your O-line is beat up? Ours is too, btw. We'll be starting a rookie on the D-line, not Osi. But I hate injuries on both sides of the ball.

Roughnecks
11-02-2006, 01:25 AM
But we have no Tackles shoot Ryan Leaf could push our tackles around j/k. All kidding aside it does not matter who you guys have starting on the Dline we are just weak in the trenches. I would like to say it is nice for a change to have fans from other teams come over with out starting off their comments with your team sucks so thanks.

The Pencil Neck
11-02-2006, 01:54 AM
I'm not sure if I read here or on a Giants board. Is it true that your O-line is beat up? Ours is too, btw. We'll be starting a rookie on the D-line, not Osi. But I hate injuries on both sides of the ball.

Dude, our STARTING left tackle was going to be a rookie (Charles Spencer, gonna be a beast) but he's out for the season and the guy backing him up (Salaam) is all dinged up and will probably get hurt again. That means that another rookie (Charles Winston) will probably be playing LT at least part of the game. Our center (Mike Flanagan) has been injured but I think he's OK now. I think we've had some problems with our guards but I can't remember offhand what that was and if it's still going on.

As long as Dayne doesn't run, we'll probably be OK. (Dayne kicked our LT's leg and broke his fibula early in the season and then in the last game, he hit the backup and hurt him.)

We've also lost one of our starting DT's... although I think our DL has actually been playing better since he went down.

Your lines scare the bejeezus out of me.

EDIT: I just read that both of our tackles are questionable at this point and might not play. And remember, one of those tackes is a backup. Great. Wonderful.

thunderkyss
11-02-2006, 05:46 AM
But we have no Tackles shoot Ryan Leaf could push our tackles around j/k. All kidding aside it does not matter who you guys have starting on the Dline we are just weak in the trenches. I would like to say it is nice for a change to have fans from other teams come over with out starting off their comments with your team sucks so thanks.

Now this just doesn't make sense....... if anyone had "one bad game" it was Salaam..... what we saw this past Sunday was not the norm. & Wiegart has been playing better than what he had this past Sunday as well.

We gave up no sacks to Jacksonville, and one to Dallas......

Strahan has been off to a slow start, and Osi won't even play.

The Pencil Neck
11-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Now this just doesn't make sense....... if anyone had "one bad game" it was Salaam..... what we saw this past Sunday was not the norm. & Wiegart has been playing better than what he had this past Sunday as well.

We gave up no sacks to Jacksonville, and one to Dallas......

Strahan has been off to a slow start, and Osi won't even play.

Are Weigert and Salaam both healthy enough to play? From Kubiak's press conference, it kinda sounded like one or both might not be able to play.

Hookem Horns
11-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Hi all,

Good luck - no injuries.

You'll see on Sunday. You have to watch this guy week in and week out to understand.

OrangeCountyTexansFan
11-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Houston can hang with anybody in the league. It's a question of desire and teamwork and not selling themselves short more than anything else at this point. I look to Carr especially to want to make a strong point against a Giants team that is talking about focusing on Houston but can't help but look towards the Bears. Houston over NY.

I like the enthusiasm. I sure hope you are right.

:texan:

YankeeeSgt
11-02-2006, 03:31 PM
those [/B]tackes is a backup. Great. Wonderful.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh what you said about Dayne made me chuckle, though I am sorry your guys got hurt by him. Maybe thats why we kept him on the bench.

I hope your left tackle is really good, because Kiwi, our 1st round rookie who will be filling in for Osi is really really fast. He likes doing spin moves to get away from the blocker.:ninja:

The Pencil Neck
11-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Oh what you said about Dayne made me chuckle, though I am sorry your guys got hurt by him. Maybe thats why we kept him on the bench.

I hope your left tackle is really good, because Kiwi, our 1st round rookie who will be filling in for Osi is really really fast. He likes doing spin moves to get away from the blocker.:ninja:

BWAHAHAHAHAH! SALAAM WILL EAT KIWI FOR BREAKFAST!!!

But that's only if he actually sneaks up on him while he's asleep at night and then kills him and cannabalizes him.

Neither of our tackles are good. Vandenbosch schooled our RT last week. And Salaam is a great character guy to have on a team as long as you don't actually have to play him. We're going to be playing him.

It's going to be a long day.

Good luck and no injuries. Go out and kick Cowgirl butt again on 12/3 and we'll call it even. OK?

Hookem Horns
11-02-2006, 04:15 PM

I was really questioning the pick of Kiwi at the draft. I thought the Giants had other needs that needed to be address first but he does look really good. It's nice to know they will still have 2 great ends when Strahan retires.

I also thought the Giants had a vendetta against the play by play guys having both Kiwanuka and Umenyiora on the same line. Just think if both of those guys get a combined sack. Try saying both those names real fast. :)

GIANTD86
11-02-2006, 04:36 PM
I was really questioning the pick of Kiwi at the draft. I thought the Giants had other needs that needed to be address first but he does look really good. It's nice to know they will still have 2 great ends when Strahan retires.

I also thought the Giants had a vendetta against the play by play guys having both Kiwanuka and Umenyiora on the same line. Just think if both of those guys get a combined sack. Try saying both those names real fast. :)

We had a lot of needs other than DE. We needed a LT mostly. Luke Pettigout is only 30 but has recurring back problems. We could also have used a CB. Most Giant fans were in shock with the Kiwi pick and outraged at Ernie Accorsi....now we're delighted. He's a freak of nature and will cause havoc in this league shortly.:cool: