PDA

View Full Version : I hate ESPN

TheRealJoker
10-31-2006, 10:52 PM
I saw resident ESPN talking head Woody Paige today on I think it was 1st and Ten or something. But someone asked if Reggie "the messiah" Bush was not living up to expectations or something of that nature and he says,"He's certainly doing better than that guy drafted ahead of him"

Is Michael Smith the only ESPN analyst who actually watches the football games and not just the highlights "the higher power" makes them watch?

wrestler4life
10-31-2006, 10:53 PM
Yes. They are all freakin blind. They think taht he is doing something special just because his team is playing well. I guess it is all because Bush is on the field.???!!!

Texas
10-31-2006, 10:54 PM
Thats bs

TexansSeminole
10-31-2006, 10:58 PM
I saw resident ESPN talking head Woody Paige today on I think it was 1st and Ten or something. But someone asked if Reggie "the messiah" Bush was not living up to expectations or something of that nature and he says,"He's certainly doing better than that guy drafted ahead of him"

Is Michael Smith the only ESPN analyst who actually watches the football games and not just the highlights "the higher power" makes them watch?

The mistake you are making here is watching 1st and Ten. Maybe if it was around the horn. ESPN loves Reggie Bush. It's a known fact, it will not stop, if he does not play well they will make excuses.

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
10-31-2006, 11:01 PM
Its hard to get a good understanding of a players performance by reading the box score and reading what other people write, then going on TV and acting like you have a knowledgable opinion. Most of these talking heads dont take the time to watch all of the games to really evaluate how players are performing, especially the low profiles games. Plus they spent the whole off season declaring him the next savior of the gridiron so when they read the box scores they are looking at it with rose colored glasses trying to prove they are right. This year with Mario, VY and Bush it has become far more apparent who does their home work and who does not, as well as who can be objective.

TheRealJoker
10-31-2006, 11:01 PM
The mistake you are making here is watching 1st and Ten. Maybe if it was around the horn. ESPN loves Reggie Bush. It's a known fact, it will not stop, if he does not play well they will make excuses.

Its not my fault, I was at work and forced to watch it!!!

BTW, notice how little press ESPN gives the best rookie on the Saints and leading candidate for offensive rookie of the year that 7th round WR Colston from Hofstra?

Conspiracy....

TexansSeminole
10-31-2006, 11:05 PM
Its not my fault, I was at work and forced to watch it!!!

BTW, notice how little press ESPN gives the best rookie on the Saints and leading candidate for offensive rookie of the year that 7th round WR Colston from Hofstra?

Conspiracy....

They like highlights and sometimes that gets away from some of the other things going on in the NFL. They need to re-do their talk shows for most sports except maybe baseball and college football. I still enjoy and appreciate everything ESPN does...I dont know what I would do without it.

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
10-31-2006, 11:08 PM
I must admit I usually try and catch Golic and the Gang on NFl Live, its a guilty pleasure! Golic has been quick to mention that L. Maroney has been the best rookie running back, pointing out that he can do it all and is out gaining all other rookie backs. Actually I beleieve he said "including the back that went #2 overall to New Orleans". Not only that Maroney is still sharing carries with Cory Dillon.

TexansSeminole
10-31-2006, 11:21 PM
I must admit I usually try and catch Golic and the Gang on NFl Live, its a guilty pleasure! Golic has been quick to mention that L. Maroney has been the best rookie running back, pointing out that he can do it all and is out gaining all other rookie backs. Actually I beleieve he said "including the back that went #2 overall to New Orleans". Not only that Maroney is still sharing carries with Cory Dillon.

Yea Golic usually is a good one to listen to. I figured Maroney would come out and be the best back as a rookie, although, Joseph Addai is getting better and better with that Colts offense and I bet him and Maroney are going to be the two fighting for it in the end. If Lundy can keep up his recent play he can have close to 1000 yards on the season and could contend as well.

bah007
10-31-2006, 11:26 PM
Everybody knew that Maroney was the best RB in the draft. Correct.

They just thought that Bush was the best overall player. Way wrong.

Anybody (ESPN included) who seriously thought that Bush was the best Running Back in the Draft does not know football & shouldnt be on TV delivering their opinions.

TexansSeminole
10-31-2006, 11:27 PM
Also we only have 1 INT as a TEAM this season. We only had 6 last season and thats very low. These guys need to start forcing some turnovers quick. In 2004 we had 22 INTs. 6 by Dunta, 3 by Petey, and 5 by Aaron.

bah007
10-31-2006, 11:29 PM
Also we only have 1 INT as a TEAM this season. We only had 6 last season and thats very low. These guys need to start forcing some turnovers quick. In 2004 we had 22 INTs. 6 by Dunta, 3 by Petey, and 5 by Aaron.

The reason for that is simple. Aaron Glenn made everyone in the secondary look better. Nobody wanted to throw on him so they threw on Dunta all the time, which gave him more opportunities.

If we want to get more INTs then we need more than one good player back there.

TexansSeminole
10-31-2006, 11:29 PM
Everybody knew that Maroney was the best RB in the draft. Correct.

They just thought that Bush was the best overall player. Way wrong.

Anybody (ESPN included) who seriously thought that Bush was the best Running Back in the Draft does not know football & shouldnt be on TV delivering their opinions.

Well you had DeAngelo Williams there as well. He was pretty close to Maroney.

bah007
10-31-2006, 11:31 PM
Well you had DeAngelo Williams there as well. He was pretty close to Maroney.

No doubt. But ESPN was using the Conf. USA arguement against him while Maroney was tearing up big time Big 10 defenses.

NYSportsfreak
11-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Any place that employs Michael Irvin, other than a football team or a crackhouse, shouldn't be taken seriously.

Toro
11-01-2006, 01:07 AM
First things first, and not to veer too far off topic here, but Yves Edwards is a bad ass and if I ever wind up in Houston (which may happen sooner or later), I'd give an arm to train at Revolution Dojo. Good group of trainers there, including Yves and Tim Creduer.

Now on to the topic at hand, let's face the music about "The Network". They cling on to the hot hand and ride it to the ground in all sports. God knows, if they had their head any further up St. Reginald's butthole, they'd be able to point out each layer of fat on the guy's colon. It's almost sickening, but then again considering they've been this way with him since he was a senior in high school, you sort of grow a thick skin to listening and sort of learn mechanisims (change the freaking channel) everytime they start.

What pisses me off is the fact that from now until Williams proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was the better and wiser pick by the Texans, the Network and other shadow jockeys are going to continue to ride this horse and pony show in to the ground, and the Texans may not be able to completely live down the fact that they passed up Bush until then.

I do wish someone there would look outside the box and would give this fact, rather than reciting the same dribble over and over. Facts are, yes Bush has been "exciting". However, what's also not to be lost (but noticiably has been in the worship of St. Reginald) is the fact that Bush hasn't even been the best rookie on SAINTS, let alone in the NFL. Hell, the guy is being outplayed by a 7th round pick from Hofstra, but of course the Bush lovers will quietly sweep that one under the rug.

LORK 88
11-01-2006, 02:08 AM

Join the club! I saw that and it seriously made my question if they even care. I was glad they finally admitted Bush isn't living up to expectations, but to say he's doing a much better job than Mario is crazy. Speaking of ESPN, anyone else notice how ESPN only gives attention to teams when they meet their predictions? For example, they never show crappy teams winning or good teams losing, its like they dont want to look bad; If only they knew . . .

Goldeagle
11-01-2006, 09:27 AM

I saw that show, he actually added that he did not know if Mario Williams was stil in the league.

Twitch
11-01-2006, 09:34 AM
I saw that show, he actually added that he did not know if Mario Williams was stil in the league.

Then who sacked VY on Sunday? :yikes:

phan1
11-01-2006, 10:18 AM
If you follow the Texans, I think it's unquestionable that Mario over Bush was this right choice. Bush=Westbrook. Great catching out of the backfield, can't run worth a darn inbetween the tackles. Deuce is doing just fine running the football as well, so Bush has no excuse. I'd take Jones-Drew over Bush any day of the week. He's the best back of the 2006 draft. Maroney's pretty good, but I prefer a guy with more versatility (man I miss DD).

***** writers. I look foward to when we start winning games, so people can at least make some informed comments about us.

kingh99
11-01-2006, 10:29 AM

If a media company is owned by a company that also owns a sports franchise you could expect some favoritism to be shown regarding players. The corporate world has a vested interest in ESPN talking up Reggie Bush.

Big $$s.

Big J
11-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Any place that employs Michael Irvin, other than a football team or a crackhouse, shouldn't be taken seriously.

Good one. The guy is such a horrible analyst and its pathetic how much he loves Owens. He just need to s his d already. Half the things he will say dont make sense.

Double Barrel
11-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Always remember what "ESPN" stands for: Entertainment and Sports Programming Network

Notice that entertainment comes before sports, so sensationalism and gossip is a top priority with them because it is entertaining.

Why would they lead off every friggin' Sunday morning with a TO update and Irvin gushing his manlove about the guy? It's not good football sense, but it is good entertainment sense.

rafterticket
11-01-2006, 11:33 AM
What pisses me off is the fact that from now until Williams proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was the better and wiser pick by the Texans, the Network and other shadow jockeys are going to continue to ride this horse and pony show in to the ground.

Until Mario has more yards and touchdowns than either one of them, they're going to say the same garbage. I don't even watch those guys on ESPN anymore.

bah007
11-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Good one. The guy is such a horrible analyst and its pathetic how much he loves Owens. He just need to s his d already. Half the things he will say dont make sense.

Owens may be a jerk but it is obvious why Irvin loves him.

Irvin played WR & so does Owens. For some reason, all WRs have a weird infatuation with each other.

Owens IS one of the top WR in the league regardless of how much everybody hates him. Irvin is just trying to stick up for the guy while everyone else dogs on him.

Irvin was a great player but a former crack addict should not be on ESPN.

run-david-run
11-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Its hard to get a good understanding of a players performance by reading the box score and reading what other people write, then going on TV and acting like you have a knowledgable opinion. Most of these talking heads dont take the time to watch all of the games to really evaluate how players are performing, especially the low profiles games. Plus they spent the whole off season declaring him the next savior of the gridiron so when they read the box scores they are looking at it with rose colored glasses trying to prove they are right. This year with Mario, VY and Bush it has become far more apparent who does their home work and who does not, as well as who can be objective.

Sometimes I wonder if they do so much as read the box score. Reggie had 16 yards from scrimage and 2 turnovers last week. Mario had 4 tackles and a sack.

run-david-run
11-01-2006, 04:08 PM

Irvin played WR & so does Owens. For some reason, all WRs have a weird infatuation with each other.

Owens IS one of the top WR in the league regardless of how much everybody hates him. Irvin is just trying to stick up for the guy while everyone else dogs on him.

Why not? He seems to fit in with the rest of the crew...:tease:

thunderkyss
11-01-2006, 06:15 PM

Have you noticed how many times they refered to the player as a playmaker??

bigTEXan8
11-01-2006, 06:48 PM
don't hate on espn...just hate on woody paige. he's the resident dumb-a**...and you are not allowed to fire the mentally challenged. pretty sure there is a law against it.

and if i offens someone with that statement...i apologize.

TheRealJoker
11-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Sometimes I wonder if they do so much as read the box score. Reggie had 16 yards from scrimage and 2 turnovers last week. Mario had 4 tackles and a sack.

I guess by Woody's logic 16 is better than 4 + 1 = 5?

GuerillaBlack
11-01-2006, 08:40 PM
That one guy on Sunday Night Football (forgot his name, but he is Black), says that Mario Williams was a better choice than Bush. Collinsworth keeps saying he is wrong, but the other dude says every week Mario gets better, while Reggie is stagnant.

run-david-run
11-01-2006, 09:00 PM
That one guy on Sunday Night Football (forgot his name, but he is Black), says that Mario Williams was a better choice than Bush. Collinsworth keeps saying he is wrong, but the other dude says every week Mario gets better, while Reggie is stagnant.

looks like he's getting worse by last weeks numbers

GuerillaBlack
11-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Yeah, I knew Reggie was hype. He is getting worse. He has done great "chairty" for New Orleans, though.

Roughnecks
11-02-2006, 12:57 AM
I stop watching they get me so pissed I can't see straight, and it is not just Woody Paige it's Sean Salisbury as well alot more but can not think of all their names. They are upset with the fact that we went aginst them in the draft. I for one did not want to draft RB I wanted one of two guys one being MW or THE BRICK I would have like to have traded down to get one of them but that is done and over with. I stick with Texans Huddle on FSN to get my info on my teams that goes for the Stros and the Rockets.

HOU-TEX
11-02-2006, 11:06 AM

I believe that would be Sterling Sharp. He's always backed up the pick. I think he's pretty good. Too bad his career was cut short, he was a good player as well.:twocents:

FLYmeatwad
11-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Out of all the talking heads on ESPN it seems that Smith is the smartest, but Woody paige is still my favorite. He's just getting a little too old to realize everything. I still love me some Woody, but it's disapointing that he's still down on our pick. He's not as bad as His Dog Skip though who deemed it "The Worst First Pick in the NFL Draft in History"

EDIT: and I forgot, ESPN will always have an excuse for Reggie. When they first talked about him they all said, "He's a homerun hitter. He doesn't need to be an everydown back. You give him the ball 15 times and game and he may only gain a few yards, but one of those times, nearly every game, he'll knock one out of the park." The first time I heard this I was nearly sick to my stomach. It was all they said after the Texans got the first pick and for months after Bush was taken 2nd.

Toro
11-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Out of all the talking heads on ESPN it seems that Smith is the smartest, but Woody paige is still my favorite. He's just getting a little too old to realize everything. I still love me some Woody, but it's disapointing that he's still down on our pick. He's not as bad as His Dog Skip though who deemed it "The Worst First Pick in the NFL Draft in History"

It was almost funny to a degree when he said that. The guy had already been doomed to failure without even stepping foot on a football field, despite the fact that BEFORE Houston picked him, the same people were gushing over him as a "clone of LT and Reggie White". What a difference a few weeks makes huh?

ESPN will always have an excuse for Reggie. When they first talked about him they all said, "He's a homerun hitter. He doesn't need to be an everydown back. You give him the ball 15 times and game and he may only gain a few yards, but one of those times, nearly every game, he'll knock one out of the park." The first time I heard this I was nearly sick to my stomach. It was all they said after the Texans got the first pick and for months after Bush was taken 2nd.

Yeah... And for 56 million dollars, sorry but 15 carries and one good run doesn't cut the mustard. But of course, ESPN is going to hype every run above 3 yards the guy does as the greatest run in the history of the damned sport.

bah007
11-03-2006, 09:02 AM
I think Woody Paige is hilarious. Everything he says is a joke right?

Right?

Oh he isnt joking? He is really that stupid?

Ok nevermind.

At least he is not as bad as Skip Bayless.

bah007
11-03-2006, 09:03 AM
The worst guy doing NFL right now is Trey Wingo.

He is the new guy with the dorky haircut who doesnt know anything about football.

His mancrush on Bush is bigger than most & his constant jokes about Houston/Williams get underneath my skin.

edo783
11-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Yup, Wingnut leaves a lot to be desired.

BigBull17
11-04-2006, 07:27 AM
Yeah, I knew Reggie was hype. He is getting worse. He has done great "chairty" for New Orleans, though.

So by charity, you mean "community service" right?

SuperMario
11-04-2006, 08:36 AM
ESPN always hated on Houston sports teams! They never gave any respect to the Rockets, Texans, or Astros! I'm just glad we picked Super Mario ahead of the so called " The next Gale Sayers" Reggie Bush. I mean look at all the rookie running backs. Moroney is playing way better than Bush, Joseph Addai is looking better, and even our very own Wali Lundy, a 6th round pick, is playing better than him. I just hope ESPN starts eating some crow when the season ends and Mario Williams has more sacks than Reggie Bush has TDs.

sakebomb
11-04-2006, 09:04 AM
I just hope ESPN starts eating some crow when the season ends

That will never happen. When you are the top dog you don't eat crow even if your wrong.

Dubya
11-04-2006, 11:51 AM
On the topic of Woody Paige and Skip Bayless...

Woody Paige may be stupid but at least he's funny to watch. Skip Bayless makes me want to jam a screwdriver in my eardrums and dig out my eyes with my own fingernails. It's not just that he's so stupid, it's that he's so pompous and arrogant in his stupidity.

afcman
11-05-2006, 11:58 AM
ESPN loves baseball and basketball more than football. The Herd talks football more than anybody else on their radio. Mike and Mike talk football and so does Eric. I can't stand Dan Patrick and have stopped listening to him months ago when he brought on KO. They spend half the time talking lefty politics. But ESPN talks everything BUT football probably 85% of the time even though football is king.

I'm seriously thinking of going with Sirius next football season just so I can get more football. And thank the Lord for the internet. :redtowel: