PDA

View Full Version : The Titans were who we thought they were!!!

TheRealJoker
10-31-2006, 02:11 PM
If you wanna crown them...*******ing crown them!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

*hulk smashes keyboard*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-31-2006, 02:13 PM
28-22. Titans lead series 7-2. Any more questions?

jaayteetx
10-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Five turnovers, and you guys win by six? Ya, I was truely impressed by the Titans. When you guys come to Houston, we're going to stomp a mud hole in ya!

GP
10-31-2006, 02:23 PM

Nope. No more questions, but plenty of statements:

1. Every game might be your last with Bud as owner. Get ready for the going away party when Bud gets tired of your town and wants to move to another city. I'm thinking L.A.

2. A few key plays determined that game, not an overall game-long experience of you "kicking our rears" as you did in the past. If Aj holds onto two different 3rd down passes, you guys lose. Period. It was a messed up game that we actually almost won. What pride do you have when we almost beat you after making allllllllllllllllllll those self-imposed mistakes? Shoot, you ought to be embrassed that you didn't win it going away. We gave you that game. Gonna' suck to be you when your guys come to Reliant.

3. I dislike the Titans and I dislike anything about them.

4. You lost the Super Bowl by a yard. Ha-ha-friggity-ha! So, essentially, you have everything in the common with us when you get right down to it. But be proud of your "all time series" record. I'm sure it'll even out as we go along. Assuming that Bud doesn't leave in the middle of the night again...

Big J
10-31-2006, 02:42 PM

*hulk smashes keyboard*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Awesome post.

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-31-2006, 02:49 PM
http://www.augustasports.com/images/headlines/012900/afc_championship.jpg
http://amarillo.com/images/headlines/012400/titansLR.jpg

I mean it's fun bragging about the AFC championship, but man, all i have to do with the Texans is brag about the playoffs. Cause you've never seen the Texans play in the month of January.

afcman
10-31-2006, 02:52 PM
Born and raised in TN, now live in TX. The people of TN are awesome, and we were overjoyed to get a football team. Even if it was Bud Adams.

When it was announced that the team was coming to TN, the people were told that THEY would get a vote on the name. Then later, (nobody's) Bud stated he was going to stay with the "Oilers". Well let me tell you. Buddy Bud found out REAL FAST that the people were NOT going to go with the "Oilers".

Him and Phil Bredeson (now the governor) pulled a fast one on the city and state in getting, what I consider, a mediocre stadium built. I forget now what Buddy Bud gets out of it but it is unreal the amount of money going into his pocket.

The team and the coach are LOVED by the people and that's why it sells out and is supported. But if Bud starts doing his dirty tricks then he will end up in a situation like he had in Houston.

When I moved to TX I decided to support and go with the Texans because I like how the city handled the situation. And I liked the organization. (And WE have a kick-***** stadium) :redtowel:

whiskeyrbl
10-31-2006, 02:54 PM

I mean it's fun bragging about the AFC championship, but man, all i have to do with the Texans is brag about the playoffs. Cause you've never seen the Texans play in the month of January.

But remember you were 1 year removed from Houston at that time, so it was yet another gift!! What have you done in the pat 5,6,7 years????? NOT MUCH

Mr. White
10-31-2006, 02:54 PM
4. You lost the Super Bowl by a yard.

This sums it up right here. The ultimate Oiler chokejob.

GP
10-31-2006, 02:56 PM

Congrats.

You've won nothing. You lost the Super Bowl by one yard.

How much does one yard mean to a Texans fan? Nothing.

How much does it mean to you? Everything.

One yard.

Just one little old measley yard is all you needed...and you couldn't get it.

Out of the whole field, the very last yard is what you needed...and you couldn't get it.

Congrats on your AFC Championship, though. It would have looked better with a Super Bowl trophy next to it, but there's that whole "one yard" thing again, eh?

HOU-TEX
10-31-2006, 02:57 PM

Geesh! Talking about a sore winner! Move on to your next opponents board. We'll see ya in a few weeks.:challenge

Double Barrel
10-31-2006, 03:02 PM

There is gloating, and then there is GLOATING.

Guess beating the lowly Texans is something to truly be proud of. :ok:

While I've never harbored any ill-will towards Titans fans, you are slowly changing my mentality. You're coming off like Cowboys fans, but at least they've got NFL Championships to be proud of.

That AFC trophy sure is shiny, and the only thing your franchise has ever won as an NFL team.

We're a brand new team, so we have a reason to suck. Tennessee was handed a team with a lot of good talent and coaching - one built in Houston, I might add - but are still just as bad as we are now. Niiiiiiiice. :shades:

gg no re
10-31-2006, 03:16 PM
http://augustasports.com/images/headlines/020100/last_play.jpg
http://espn-att.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/houston_dyson.jpg

afcman
10-31-2006, 03:22 PM
We're a brand new team

No, we are not. Not anymore.

PapaL
10-31-2006, 03:29 PM
What does it say in small letters under Rams? vs Titans, like Tennessee was never really there.

http://www.thenorthwest.com/image_champ/RamsSB.gif

http://images.nfl.com/xxxvi/history/images/rings/sb34.jpg

Texan_Bill
10-31-2006, 04:02 PM

Are you kidding me? (plants tongue firmly in cheek) We've played in January twice before: Jan. 2, 2005 (Cleveland) and Jan. 1, 2006 (San Francisco)....

C'mon Tack fan - get your facts right!!

Texan_Bill
10-31-2006, 04:03 PM
What does it say in small letters under Rams? vs Titans, like Tennessee was never really there.

http://images.nfl.com/xxxvi/history/images/rings/sb34.jpg

In the really really small writing is says:
Bud "the bad rug" Adams comes up short AGAIN.

QB75
10-31-2006, 04:19 PM

The 7-2 series is versus an expansion franchise. Congratulations. You're still one of the worst teams in the NFL.

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-31-2006, 04:42 PM
The 7-2 series is versus an expansion franchise. Congratulations. You're still one of the worst teams in the NFL.

How long do you get to play the expansion card? I mean, can Carolina and Jax still use the expansion card? Is it me or did both of them make the playoffs in like their 2nd year?

gg no re
10-31-2006, 04:44 PM
They fell off big after those years.

Double Barrel
10-31-2006, 04:46 PM
How long do you get to play the expansion card? I mean, can Carolina and Jax still use the expansion card? Is it me or did both of them make the playoffs in like their 2nd year?

I know you're not up to snuff on your franchise's history before they went to Tennessee, but c'mon, this is NFL history here. It is a simple fact that the Texans got the worst expansion deal in league history...plus we got Charlie Casserly, so it was a double-whammy against us.

We'll play the expansion card until we get a winning record....don't hold your breath for that, though. :shades:

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-31-2006, 04:49 PM
I know you're not up to snuff on your franchise's history before they went to Tennessee, but c'mon, this is NFL history here. It is a simple fact that the Texans got the worst expansion deal in league history...plus we got Charlie Casserly, so it was a double-whammy against us.

We'll play the expansion card until we get a winning record....don't hold your breath for that, though. :shades:

I personally have nothing against the Texans. I REALLY hope you guys draft Quinn or Smith next year. You need a new QB, bottom line. Draft a QB in the 1st round then take all O-linemen.

It's time to cut your losses.

I want to see Titans and Texans on top of the AFC south. I might be annoying but im nothing like Jacksonville fans. And let's admit it, the Colts are just getting old. I'm tired of seeing them win games. Payton Manning is so good that he's not impressing anyone anymore.

It's time for a change.

nunusguy
10-31-2006, 04:54 PM
Draft a QB in the 1st round then take all O-linemen.

If we need to replace Carr, lets hope that next time we get an OLine in place
before trying to break in a new QB. Surely we've learned that by now ?

TEXANRED
10-31-2006, 04:54 PM

Hey tak fan, I got a couple of shotguns that need cleaning. How would you like to come over and help?

Mr. White
10-31-2006, 04:55 PM

Carolina and Jacksonville had the benefit of a much better expansion draft than we did. Free agency was still pretty new then and teams were looking to dump contracts.

***edit***

I remember a Houston team dumping a lot of contracts that offseason. I guess Bud wanted to travel light for the trip to Memphis.

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-31-2006, 04:56 PM
Hey tak fan, I got a couple of shotguns that need cleaning. How would you like to come over and help?

Can I bring my nuclear warhead?

TEXANRED
10-31-2006, 05:11 PM
Can I bring my nuclear warhead?

Sure you can. Since we are on the subject, I have plenty of bean dip so you won't have to stop at the store on your way over.

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-31-2006, 05:15 PM
Sure you can. Since we are on the subject, I have plenty of bean dip so you won't have to stop at the store on your way over.

Good, I just bought some delicious Velvet Champagne Chocolate truffles. I keep them in my mini fridge cause i love my chocolate at about 36 degrees :)

I'll bring a copy of Steel Magnolias. I have it on DVD, Laserdisc, and VHS. heHe. I just love that Sally Field.

mexican_texan
10-31-2006, 05:19 PM
Good, I just bought some delicious Velvet Champagne Chocolate truffles. I keep them in my mini fridge cause i love my chocolate at about 36 degrees :)

I'll bring a copy of Steel Magnolias. I have it on DVD, Laserdisc, and VHS. heHe. I just love that Sally Field.
Dude, you took it too far. Apologize right now.

TEXANRED
10-31-2006, 05:20 PM

Steel Magnolias! I love steel Magnolias! I'll set out the pink table cloth and light a few candles.

QB75
10-31-2006, 05:20 PM

Sorry, but the "series" you brought up goes back to season one for the Texans. Oh, as to your question, it's you. You obviously don't understand the difference between how Carolina was able to initially staff their franchise vs. Houston. The rules changed. If you did, you wouldn't make the comparison, because it's invalid.

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-31-2006, 05:22 PM
Sorry, but the "series" you brought up goes back to season one for the Texans. Oh, as to your question, it's you. You obviously don't understand the difference between how Carolina was able to initially staff their franchise vs. Houston. The rules changed. If you did, you wouldn't make the comparison, because it's invalid.

This coming from the person who said Vince Young isn't hard to bring down?

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-31-2006, 05:24 PM
We need a new QB? Your Superman-QB threw for a whopping 87 yards. I wouldn't be so quick to talk bad about our QB.

He's a rookie and he scored 14 points. I'm not going to complain at all.

2ToneBlue
10-31-2006, 05:26 PM
We need a new QB? Your Superman-QB threw for a whopping 87 yards. I wouldn't be so quick to talk bad about our QB.
Now now, we did get a rookie and he's learning. I'm not even going to talk about how he's turned our team around completely or how he's not turned the ball over. Not only did he run for a TD but passed for one. He's not throwing up Manningesque numbers, but he's helping our ball club. We have a running talley on our boards and so far (in our opinions) we got the best of the QB's in this draft, he still needs time to develop. I'm a DC fan myself, but you can't compare someone who's 5 years into the league with someone going on game 5.

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-31-2006, 05:27 PM
Now now, we did get a rookie and he's learning. I'm not even going to talk about how he's turned our team around completely or how he's not turned the ball over. Not only did he run for a TD but passed for one. He's not throwing up Manningesque numbers, but he's helping our ball club. We have a running talley on our boards and so far (in our opinions) we got the best of the QB's in this draft, he still needs time to develop. I'm a DC fan myself, but you can't compare someone who's 5 years into the league with someone going on game 5.

/\ What he said.

2ToneBlue
10-31-2006, 05:27 PM
Steel Magnolias! I love steel Magnolias! I'll set out the pink table cloth and light a few candles.
Can I join?

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-31-2006, 05:31 PM
Can I join?

Well we might have to watch Sybil instead.

Double Barrel
10-31-2006, 05:32 PM

Can I join?

:backsout: y'all need some alone time?

QB75
10-31-2006, 05:33 PM
This coming from the person who said Vince Young isn't hard to bring down?

Changing the subject. Nice tactic.

2ToneBlue
10-31-2006, 05:35 PM
:backsout: y'all need some alone time?
I'm scared to come out of the closet, would you like to join me in there? :whip:

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-31-2006, 05:38 PM
Changing the subject. Nice tactic.

Levon bears his war wound like a crown
He calls his child jesus cause he likes the name
And he sends him to the finest school in town
Levon likes his money
He makes a lot, they say
Spends his days countin' in a garage by the motorway

UTVinceYoung
10-31-2006, 05:42 PM

yeah what he ^ said.

except the part about being a DC fan. That jerkoff sucks bad. He looked like a rookie sunday instead of Vince.

GuerillaBlack
10-31-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm scared to come out of the closet, would you like to join me in there? :whip:

yeah what he ^ said.

except the part about being a DC fan. That jerkoff sucks bad. He looked like a rookie sunday instead of Vince.

The maturity of Titans fans.

Hookem Horns
10-31-2006, 05:47 PM
Any more questions?

Yes, thank you. Which NFL franchise holds the NFL record for largest blown lead in a game?

Double Barrel
10-31-2006, 05:51 PM
Yes, thank you. Which NFL franchise holds the NFL record for largest blown lead in a game?

ohhhhhhh...that was a low blow.....I like it! :tease:

TexansFanatic
10-31-2006, 06:22 PM

Look at that hideous freak of nature. Thank you, God, for helping Houston rid itself of the horrible plague that is Bud Adams and his pathetic bunch of snakebitten losers he calls a professional football team.

The Texans may be going through some tough times right now, but even the angriest of our fans understands that our NFL franchise will be one of the best. The owner is simply too smart, classy, and hardworking for things to turn out any other way. The complete opposite of what we banished to Tennessee....

2ToneBlue
10-31-2006, 06:33 PM
That is factually incorrect. He has thrown 4 interceptions so far this season.
Since you're a statman, how many turnovers has he given up since his very first start of his career? Two the Cowboy game, the one in Indy you statistically can count if you would like but it was the last play of the half and he threw a hail mary. Since then nothing. Two wins and 0 turnovers.

I was refering to the not turning the ball over more towards his turning us around, he did have a rough game to start out his career. Since then it's all been uphill.

dantem
10-31-2006, 06:44 PM
yeah what he ^ said.

I think I just figured out which of these Titan fans is still in junior high school...

Hookem Horns
10-31-2006, 07:17 PM
35-3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IUS4BFJC6c)

Super Bowl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QknlXIWChpc)

Titans Tribute Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkM4yRymz1w&NR)

brewhaus
10-31-2006, 07:23 PM

Yeah, I've got a question......"Don't you think our message board is a lot better than the Titan's message board? :shades:

srstex
10-31-2006, 07:27 PM
Levon bears his war wound like a crown
He calls his child jesus cause he likes the name
And he sends him to the finest school in town
Levon likes his money
He makes a lot, they say
Spends his days countin' in a garage by the motorway

He was born a profit to a pawn, on a Christmas Day
when the New York Times said that God was dead

I'm lost what does Sir Elton doing singing on this message board.

Some mad man accross the water must have started this.

thunderkyss
10-31-2006, 07:36 PM

*hulk smashes keyboard*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

all you guys who want to move up with rep points fast, take notes......

MrMeToo
10-31-2006, 07:40 PM

*hulk smashes keyboard*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

LOL

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-31-2006, 07:44 PM
last 2 games Vince has 0 turnovers...bottom line

thunderkyss
10-31-2006, 07:47 PM
I want to see Titans and Texans on top of the AFC south. I might be annoying but im nothing like Jacksonville fans. And let's admit it, the Colts are just getting old. I'm tired of seeing them win games. Payton Manning is so good that he's not impressing anyone anymore.

It's time for a change.

this is pretty strange........ most Titans fans that I've met would like to see the Texans & Titans at the top of the AFC South..

But we couldn't care less who #2 is.....

I respect them for that..... & for having the gnads for making Vince the 1st QB taken in the '06 draft.

Nza
10-31-2006, 08:06 PM
The Titans were who we thought they were? What, a team that doesn't turn the ball over, and can score 4 TD's off their own skill and ability? Oh I guess it was the "Texans beating the Texans" when VY spotted the open man, or he ran for 20 yards, or Pacman returned a TD, or when KVB blew past his man and forced it out of DC, which Brown then recovered and returned for a TD. Please, those aren't new gaps in the Texans teams that the Titans just happened to exploit out of luck. Comparing this loss to the Cardinal's is an insult to the Cardinals - you didn't have the lead, and you didn't cause one turnover. The Texans were who we thought they were - crap.

The come back at the end had me worried i'll admit, but I wouldn't get too high and mighty about only being beaten by 6 points with 5 turnovers - I think it was more a case of the Titans D being complacent and lazy with what they thought was a big enough lead. What was it, 21-3 up to 2 minutes left in the 3rd? It's hard enough getting full effort out of the Titans D in the best situations.

UTVinceYoung
10-31-2006, 09:00 PM
Nza bringing texan taco fans back down to earth. :brickwall

brewhaus
10-31-2006, 09:21 PM
The Titans were who we thought they were? What, a team that doesn't turn the ball over, and can score 4 TD's off their own skill and ability? Oh I guess it was the "Texans beating the Texans" when VY spotted the open man, or he ran for 20 yards, or Pacman returned a TD, or when KVB blew past his man and forced it out of DC, which Brown then recovered and returned for a TD. Please, those aren't new gaps in the Texans teams that the Titans just happened to exploit out of luck. Comparing this loss to the Cardinal's is an insult to the Cardinals - you didn't have the lead, and you didn't cause one turnover. The Texans were who we thought they were - crap.

The come back at the end had me worried i'll admit, but I wouldn't get too high and mighty about only being beaten by 6 points with 5 turnovers - I think it was more a case of the Titans D being complacent and lazy with what they thought was a big enough lead. What was it, 21-3 up to 2 minutes left in the 3rd? It's hard enough getting full effort out of the Titans D in the best situations.

Soak-it-up while you can Nza....December 10 is going to be here before you know it. That ought to worry you because we played like s**t and still only lost by 6 points. You have plenty of time to come up with some more excuses why your team gives up points. :texflag:

gg no re
10-31-2006, 10:18 PM
What, a team that doesn't turn the ball over, and can score 4 TD's off their own skill and ability?The skill and ability line made me laugh for some reason. :hmmm:

Oh that's right. All Texan turnovers were not created by the Titans. As far as I know, I never saw strip moves or route jumping... just self-induced mistakes that were enough for the inferior team to escape with a win.

Nza
10-31-2006, 10:30 PM
Soak-it-up while you can Nza....December 10 is going to be here before you know it. That ought to worry you because we played like s**t and still only lost by 6 points. You have plenty of time to come up with some more excuses why your team gives up points. :texflag:

I'm not soaking anything up. I don't like to gloat when the Titans beat anyone and i'm certainly not gloating here. I'm trying to figure out where this "The better team lost" bull**** is coming from. I've never seen a fanbase so inept of admitting defeat before in my time visiting messageboards. There is no better team between the Texans and Titans, they are both pretty much in the same category, so the better team on the day is the one that wins, period.

I had no beef with Redskins fans when they clearly pointed out we played better on the day and won, but Texans fans seem to pigheaded to admit that and rely on these incredible claims of domination simply because you guys racked up more yards and moved the ball against a defense that tuned out.

BTW, nice contradiction, December 10 is going to be here before I know it, and yet I have plenty of time to think of more excuses why the Titans gives up points.

Nza
10-31-2006, 10:31 PM
That team was built in Houston and that was only because Bud got lucky with the Crappy City Miracle.:bguitar: In typical Bud fashion he fell a yard short. Just wait til the Titans come to Houston this year! Y'all are going down like the Titanic.

We also played in January last year on New Years.:neener:

The Titans weren't making the Superbowl without McNair and George, so no, it wasn't built in Houston i'm sorry.

Nza
10-31-2006, 10:33 PM
The skill and ability line made me laugh for some reason. :hmmm:

Oh that's right. All Texan turnovers were not created by the Titans. As far as I know, I never saw strip moves or route jumping... just self-induced mistakes that were enough for the inferior team to escape with a win.

Try reading what I posted again. I said all the TD's were from the Titans ability, not turnovers. The Pass was VY finding an open man (granted, VERY open, but he still found him). The run was ALL VY. The punt return was ALL Pacman and the Titans ST. The fumble return was KVB dominating an easy target and finishing the play with ability, with Brown adding the full stop.

trutexan02
10-31-2006, 10:34 PM

Hmmm Just wanted to point out that the teams that you speak of? The ones that played in your city and marched to the SB? Well those were all Houston Oilers who changed their undies and put on a different shirt. Those player Bled Oiler blue all over the Astrodome for years before Tennesee was known for anything other than GRACELAND!. You want to claim McNair or George that's cool, BUT DON"T EVER THINK BRUCE MATTHEW WAS ANYTHING BUT A HOUSTON OILER!!!!!!!!!!!! You got alot of gall putting a picture of him in that post!

Remeber that those players are all gone now Tenessee's team is toiling along hoping to catch a break. One we so regret giving you. Come to Houston things will change. Count on it!

Mr. White
10-31-2006, 10:35 PM
The Titans weren't making the Superbowl without McNair and George, so no, it wasn't built in Houston i'm sorry.

McNair and George were drafted in Houston and played in Houston.

trutexan02
10-31-2006, 10:39 PM
Thank you!

GP
10-31-2006, 10:49 PM
35-3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IUS4BFJC6c)

Super Bowl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QknlXIWChpc)

Titans Tribute Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkM4yRymz1w&NR)

You just made my year.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Sending you rep points and $20 Chick-Fil-A gift certificate in the mail.

Nza
10-31-2006, 10:52 PM
McNair and George were drafted in Houston and played in Houston.

While I hardly agree their meager time in Houston makes the Superbowl Titans a "built in Houston" team (In Steve's case, 13 games played in 2 season), perhaps I could find better examples - like Samari Rolle, Jevon Kearse, Lorenzo Neal, John Thornton etc who were all Titans to begin with, and were all quite vital to a Superbowl team.

Nza
10-31-2006, 10:57 PM
You just made my year.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Sending you rep points and $20 Chick-Fil-A gift certificate in the mail.

This is what I don't understand. You guys try to claim ownership of the Titans Superbowl squad, and players like Matthews, sometimes even denying the Titans truely own Oiler history, and yet you find joy in ragging on the Superbowl loss and a bad Oilers loss on Youtube? Can I get a big "W T F" ?

It's just contradiction after contradiction around here.

And hey, now that I think about it, I don't really care if the Titans superbowl was built in Houston. I'm not from Tennessee - i'm not even a US citizen. I couldn't care less about where the team was built, because Oiler history is Titan history. The city is totally irrelevant.

Mr. White
10-31-2006, 10:58 PM
While I hardly agree their meager time in Houston makes the Superbowl Titans a "built in Houston" team

So,first you say they never played in Houston, now their time there was "meager.":yawn:

gg no re
10-31-2006, 11:03 PM
Try reading what I posted again. I said all the TD's were from the Titans ability, not turnovers.Created by turnovers.

trutexan02
10-31-2006, 11:04 PM
While I hardly agree their meager time in Houston makes the Superbowl Titans a "built in Houston" team (In Steve's case, 13 games played in 2 season), perhaps I could find better examples - like Samari Rolle, Jevon Kearse, Lorenzo Neal, John Thornton etc who were all Titans to begin with, and were all quite vital to a Superbowl team.
Then parade them around like THEY discovered america. Not an icon like bruce. No wait... they are all gone! No sense is singing the praise of a team that left! All hail Travis Henry!

Mr. White
10-31-2006, 11:06 PM
This is what I don't understand. You guys try to claim ownership of the Titans Superbowl squad, and players like Matthews, sometimes even denying the Titans truely own Oiler history, and yet you find joy in ragging on the Superbowl loss and a bad Oilers loss on Youtube? Can I get a big "W T F" ?

It's just contradiction after contradiction around here.

Speaking for myself .... Like many of these other fans, I've got a soft spot for my memories of the Oilers. I'm not real cool with Warren Moon going to the HOF and then setting foot in TN like he actually played there.

Then I think about who's behind it all. You guys can have him. I don't miss the drama that goes along with Houston's own Bud Adams in the slightest. You guys are just now starting to find out what you're in for.

The bad football karma won't break until he kicks it....and 1 yard short of a Super Bowl win is the worst of bad karma.

trutexan02
10-31-2006, 11:08 PM
Speaking for myself .... Like many of these other fans, I've got a soft spot for my memories of the Oilers. I'm not real cool with Warren Moon going to the HOF and then setting foot in TN like he actually played there.

Then I think about who's behind it all. You guys can have him. I don't miss the drama that goes along with Houston's own Bud Adams in the slightest. You guys are just now starting to find out what you're in for.

The bad football karma won't break until he kicks it....and 1 yard short of a Super Bowl win is the worst of bad karma.
Am I understnading you? Warren Moon is in the HOF as a Titan? Say it ain't so!

Mr. White
10-31-2006, 11:12 PM
Am I understnading you? Warren Moon is in the HOF as a Titan? Say it ain't so!

He's there as an Oiler...the Titans have his records and have retired his number.

Mr. White
10-31-2006, 11:16 PM
Read about it here (http://www.houstonprofootball.com/log/).

If you Titans fans want an idea of what's still to come with Bud Adams, read some of these articles on this page.

Some highlights:

Fires Bum Phillips after the AFC Championship.
Trades Pastorini for a drunk Ken Stabler.
Trades Earl Campbell for nothing.
Trades Warren Moon for a 3rd round pick.

Enjoy!

trutexan02
10-31-2006, 11:17 PM
He's there as an Oiler...the Titans have his records and have retired his number.
So long as Houston preceeds the team name... Stats and records are paper and he should be retired he played for Bud. We have real deal memories here of what he did. Something no Titian fan will ever understand and now that McNair is gone and free agency in full effect, they never will. (makes me feel pretty good actually)

Nza
10-31-2006, 11:19 PM
So,first you say they never played in Houston, now their time there was "meager.":yawn:

Don't make presumptions. I said guys like McNair and George are the Titans Superbowl, suggesting they weren't a part of Houston enough to consider Houston as the city behind the Superbowl team, which in turn suggests I didn't think they played in Houston (which I didn't, because I know they did), or I didn't think their time in Houston was signficant. The latter is what I meant.

And then I followed up by saying I don't care anyway, as i'm not from or in America so I don't really care about which city did what. Titans...Oilers...one in the same to me.

Nza
10-31-2006, 11:23 PM

That's fine, but it's just weird when you see one person argue for Houston history in one post, then laugh at a huge Oilers loss in the next. It just comes off as desperate and petty.

gg no re
10-31-2006, 11:23 PM
So are you one of those Europeans who sit and sip coffee?

Nza
10-31-2006, 11:25 PM
No, i'm an Australian.

gg no re
10-31-2006, 11:34 PM
It makes sense, then....

All your sins are forgiven.

Hervoyel
10-31-2006, 11:38 PM
You guys should quit feeding the troll.

Nza
10-31-2006, 11:44 PM
lol, troll. I come to inquire about the baffling reaction to the game with logic at my disposal, and find Texans fans gaining satisfaction from ancient highlight clips, and a poster who insults my country of origin (which, by the way, could have been a made up place like Sluazatakastan and he probably would have given the same lame reply thinking it was a real place), and i'm the troll?

Hervoyel
10-31-2006, 11:47 PM
Did I say you were "the troll"?

I was talking about the grand old time "Tack" fans been having since Sunday. It's getting old quickly IMO but what's worse is seeing posters fueling it with foolish comments. I hadn't even read your posts when I typed that.

Nza
10-31-2006, 11:50 PM
Appologies then. I say don't presume and I make a presumption myself. Yep, this thread IS full of contradictions :P

wenskek
10-31-2006, 11:53 PM
and we... we... let'em off the hook!

Osso
11-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Nza.....just agree to understand we think the better team didn't win. mmmk?

The rest "just doesn't matter!"

"It just doesn't matter!"

"It just doesn't matter!"

:listening

Nza
11-01-2006, 12:06 AM
I can't agree to understand something that doesn't make sense. Neither team are the better team. There is no way the Texans are better than the Titans or the Titans are better than the Texans as a team, not when both have as many holes as they do. You can only determine who was the better team on the day, and that was the Titans. Yards, TOP, all that stuff is irrelevant. Even if you think the Texans gave everything to the Titans, remember that the Titans had to get in the end zone, which they did 4 times, and they had to protect the ball too, which they did. The Titans were the better football team on the day, and they won because of it. Teams don't beat themselves, that's sore loser talk. They might make the day a lot easier for the other team, but if the other team played as poorly, then they wouldn't be doing much with all the opportunities, would they. To take advantage of all what's given to them, the team receiving all the breaks has to play better than the other.

brewhaus
11-01-2006, 05:43 AM
I'm not soaking anything up. I don't like to gloat when the Titans beat anyone and i'm certainly not gloating here. I'm trying to figure out where this "The better team lost" bull**** is coming from. I've never seen a fanbase so inept of admitting defeat before in my time visiting messageboards. There is no better team between the Texans and Titans, they are both pretty much in the same category, so the better team on the day is the one that wins, period.

I had no beef with Redskins fans when they clearly pointed out we played better on the day and won, but Texans fans seem to pigheaded to admit that and rely on these incredible claims of domination simply because you guys racked up more yards and moved the ball against a defense that tuned out.

BTW, nice contradiction, December 10 is going to be here before I know it, and yet I have plenty of time to think of more excuses why the Titans gives up points.

Calm down dude....I thought 40 days would be enough time. I truely apologize for the contradiction. I now realize that we are the only fan base that hasn't a clue about what we see with our own eyes. You are right and we are wrong.......except for: "they are OUR Texans and they ARE the better team"...

Nza
11-01-2006, 06:52 AM
Well, naturally I understand you think the Texans are the better team - Cardinals fans probably think they're the best crap team too. I'm talking about the better team on Sunday, specifically, this past sunday. It's just amazing to read all these sore loser excuses about losing and still being the better team on Sunday - I didn't realize the better teams are determined by yards.

I read a lot of posts claiming "We turned the ball over 5 times and only lost by 6! wow, we would have creamed them if were didn't turn the ball over", and I can't help but shake my head. Think about it, it's would be like a Titans fan truely believing the Titans were going to kill the Texans because we beat the Redskins, and they killed the Texans. It isn't how football works. Who knows what would have happened if the Titans had the ball more with longer fields. If you play the exact same game 10 times with the exact same conditions each time, you're going to get 10 different games.

Whoever wins Dec 10 will be the better team on that Sunday too. Anyone with any sense whatsoever should be able to see that the best team on the day is ALWAYS the winner. It's an oxymoron to say the best team on the day lost, and quite simply an excuse to shield your mind from reality.

brewhaus
11-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Well, naturally I understand you think the Texans are the better team - Cardinals fans probably think they're the best crap team too. I'm talking about the better team on Sunday, specifically, this past sunday. It's just amazing to read all these sore loser excuses about losing and still being the better team on Sunday - I didn't realize the better teams are determined by yards.

I read a lot of posts claiming "We turned the ball over 5 times and only lost by 6! wow, we would have creamed them if were didn't turn the ball over", and I can't help but shake my head. Think about it, it's would be like a Titans fan truely believing the Titans were going to kill the Texans because we beat the Redskins, and they killed the Texans. It isn't how football works. Who knows what would have happened if the Titans had the ball more with longer fields. If you play the exact same game 10 times with the exact same conditions each time, you're going to get 10 different games.

Whoever wins Dec 10 will be the better team on that Sunday too. Anyone with any sense whatsoever should be able to see that the best team on the day is ALWAYS the winner. It's an oxymoron to say the best team on the day lost, and quite simply an excuse to shield your mind from reality.

Nza, you are one tenacious individual.....I admire that. But you are into this s**t way too deep. My oxymoronic delusional ass still says the Texans are the better of the two teams. I can't help myself, that is what makes it fun for me. But hey! Thanks for the in-depth analysis as well as the phycological diagnosis, I am now truely on the road to recovery.......until December 10 gets here. :redtowel:

Hookem Horns
11-01-2006, 08:04 AM
How in the world does someone in Australia become a fan of the Titans? Just curious. Can you guys get NFL games over there?

Nza
11-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Why not the Titans? No home team, so all 32 are just as likely as the next. As I said before though, I was an Oilers fan (albiet not an overly involved one being 13 when they moved to Tennessee without Internet until I was 14-15 to follow games properly).

Yeah we get 2 fox games a week usually, as well as SNF and MNF, so 4 games a week usually, minimal 3. Thanksgiving I think we get the tripple header, 2 fox games on monday, SNF and MNF.

You guys don't have any international fans here??

Hookem Horns
11-01-2006, 08:29 AM
You guys don't have any international fans here??

We have a couple of UK fans on the other Texans board. I think they are 1 or 2 here also.

BTW, what's the most popular sport over there? Aussie Rules Football or Football (Soccer)?

Nza
11-01-2006, 08:37 AM
I think soccer would have to be because of the exceptional diversity per head in Australia, but that would be international support, not domestic, as our "A League" soccer league is pretty crap. Domestic wise, AFL and Cricket are probably the most popular, with Rugby League and Rugby Union behind them. Personally, i'm not a fan of any (although a good Union game is great fun to watch) - nothing beats American Football. We actually have a few state based gridiron leagues here and an International team:

http://gridironaustralia.org.au/

Personally I only just learnt of this recently but it looks pretty cool, might have to see a game one day :P

Hookem Horns
11-01-2006, 08:49 AM
I think soccer would have to be because of the exceptional diversity per head in Australia, but that would be international support, not domestic, as our "A League" soccer league is pretty crap. Domestic wise, AFL and Cricket are probably the most popular, with Rugby League and Rugby Union behind them. Personally, i'm not a fan of any (although a good Union game is great fun to watch) - nothing beats American Football. We actually have a few state based gridiron leagues here and an International team:

http://gridironaustralia.org.au/

Personally I only just learnt of this recently but it looks pretty cool, might have to see a game one day :P

That's cool. The NFL just announced it is going to start having some real games played outside the US. They didn't say where though. I would think they would start off with Canada and Mexico.

I would say North American sports in general are the most exciting. I love football and hockey (hockey being Canadian that's why I said North American). I would probably have withdrawal living outside the US. My wife is from Spain and we have considered moving there but I would go out of my mind only having La Liga to watch. I follow La Liga (we get Spanish TV on the dish) but it is has no where near the excitement level as our sports, and La Liga is one of the best if not the best league in the world.

So are there many other fans of US football there?

Mr. White
11-01-2006, 08:52 AM
That's fine, but it's just weird when you see one person argue for Houston history in one post, then laugh at a huge Oilers loss in the next. It just comes off as desperate and petty.

An Oiler fan's feelings are pretty complex. If we didn't have a new team, we wouldn't mention that loss at Buffalo.

If you read the articles that I linked in my earlier post, you'll notice a pattern in their history. It is as follows:

Somebody comes into the organization who actually knows football and actually improves the organization. (Bum Phillips and Jeff Diamond for example.)

Bud sees that guy getting too much credit and doesn't like it.

Bud then fires that guy that gets all the credit. :shoot:

Almost of us around here still have a lot of love for the players that played with the Oilers but have much contempt for the organization itself.

Frills
11-01-2006, 08:54 AM
Sell coke out of your car, just as long as you play well. Stomp someone in the face with cleats. Bud Adams, could go on forever about that jacktard.

Needless to say Tenn is a classless organization, and a hunk of crap. Give me 0-16 before team like the Titans.

Nza
11-01-2006, 09:08 AM
That's cool. The NFL just announced it is going to start having some real games played outside the US. They didn't say where though. I would think they would start off with Canada and Mexico.

I would say North American sports in general are the most exciting. I love football and hockey (hockey being Canadian that's why I said North American). I would probably have withdrawal living outside the US. My wife is from Spain and we have considered moving there but I would go out of my mind only having La Liga to watch. I follow La Liga (we get Spanish TV on the dish) but it is has no where near the excitement level as our sports, and La Liga is one of the best if not the best league in the world.

So are there many other fans of US football there?

Yeah I heard about the announcement - the Chargers and Broncos played a preseason game here a few years ago. Didn't get much of a crowd, unfortunately most Australians would be too "proud" to consider American sports as entertainment, plus many have a complexion about wearing helmets and pads is sissy without understanding why they are required in one sport but not the other. Americans get a lot of flack here for ignorance, but i'm really not sure most Australians are any better.

There are a few fans here though. I've bumped into many online. The one thing i've noticed is there aren't many casual NFL fans - they're either not fans or diehard fans here it seems, but I guess you'd have to be to support a sport and team so far away.

Nza
11-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Sell coke out of your car, just as long as you play well. Stomp someone in the face with cleats. Bud Adams, could go on forever about that jacktard.

Needless to say Tenn is a classless organization, and a hunk of crap. Give me 0-16 before team like the Titans.

Not really sure what Adams has to do with Haynesworth?

But i'm not even going to get into the whole Bud Adams thing, I'm well aware that would be a complete waste of energy to argue here :P

Frills
11-01-2006, 09:19 AM
Not really sure what Adams has to do with Haynesworth?

But i'm not even going to get into the whole Bud Adams thing, I'm well aware that would be a complete waste of energy to argue here :P

After the draft where did Bud take Vince? It wasn't Tennessee, that shows class when your owner would like to show off his new pick to Houston rather than the State where he will play. Of course he probbably didn't want VY to see Tennessee before he got him locked into a contract.

McNair was handled with class this whole preseason as well. Face it, the Titans organization has pissed on everyone they have ever dealt with. The difference is their current fans are too ignorant to realize what's lurking just around the corner

Nza
11-01-2006, 10:08 AM
k......doesn't really answer my question about Haynesworth and you're preaching to someone who doesn't really give a ***** about the topic because all I see are disgruntled and biased opinions from a fanbase/city still recovering from losing a real NFL franchise to feel better about themselves, but i'll bite - what's "just" around the corner? candy? please say candy.

Mr. White
11-01-2006, 11:35 AM
k......doesn't really answer my question about Haynesworth and you're preaching to someone who doesn't really give a ***** about the topic because all I see are disgruntled and biased opinions from a fanbase/city still recovering from losing a real NFL franchise to feel better about themselves, but i'll bite - what's "just" around the corner? candy? please say candy.

I don't think that too many people around here feel like they lost a "real" NFL franchise.

"Real" NFL franchises put guys in place that actually know something about football and let them make the decisions. "Real" franchises don't threaten to leave town every 2-3 years because they don't like their stadium deal.

"Real" football franchises let the guys that know the game pick the players. They don't pass over the QB that their coaches want for the QB that can stick it to their former fanbase.

I can go on all day, but until you actually research the franchise's history, then you're just ill-informed.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/log/

QB75
11-01-2006, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=Nza;486362]k...."losing a real NFL franchise"

Whatever you want to call them: Titans, former Oilers, or more accurately Bud Adams' Team, in over forty years of existence it has rarely resembled a competitive, well-run NFL franchise.

Double Barrel
11-01-2006, 11:53 AM
because Oiler history is Titan history. The city is totally irrelevant.

Exactly...and that history, my friend, is a history of historical chokes.

They can move the team, change the name, and do whatever they want, but at the end of the day, the franchise is cursed.

Good luck with all that. :howdy:

ps. I agree with you, though. The 'better' team is the one that wins the game. Period. I will not live a delusion based on stats. Scoreboard is all that really matters.

Vinny
11-01-2006, 12:26 PM

http://images.nfl.com/xxxvi/history/images/rings/sb34.jpgThat's one of the greatest Super Bowls ever (Rams vs Titans)...I'd be proud as heck if I could say the same thing about the Texans (being there...and in a great game to boot).

Osso
11-01-2006, 01:56 PM
erm..there was another team who left town like the oilers.....they suck too....they live in arizona now.

Titan "Tack" Fan
11-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Exactly...and that history, my friend, is a history of historical chokes.

They can move the team, change the name, and do whatever they want, but at the end of the day, the franchise is cursed.

Good luck with all that. :howdy:

ps. I agree with you, though. The 'better' team is the one that wins the game. Period. I will not live a delusion based on stats. Scoreboard is all that really matters.

Thank you. You're the first person I've seen say that on this board. 28 points is better than 22 last time I checked.

For example, I'm an LSU fan. We lost to Auburn 7-3. Auburn is 4 points better than us. I hate to admit it, but it's true.

Thank you, Rep coming your way!

real
11-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Thank you. You're the first person I've seen say that on this board. 28 points is better than 22 last time I checked.

For example, I'm an LSU fan. We lost to Auburn 7-3. Auburn is 4 points better than us. I hate to admit it, but it's true.

Thank you, Rep coming your way!

Ya'll were the better team on Sunday...I don't neccesarily think you all are the more talented team....But on Sunday You all were absolutely the better team....Im not sure how anyone can deny that....

Mr. White
11-01-2006, 03:24 PM

The stat line shows what really happened in that game. The Texans outperformed the Titans in almost every category...except turnovers. We gave that game away.

Having said that, that win was no less legitimite than any other win on any other Sunday. The Texans made mistakes and the Titans capitalized.

Stats are pretty easy to argue about because you can usually make them say anything that you want them to. Except the score.

Enjoy the win.

2ToneBlue
11-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Just out of curiosity, what do you (the Texan fans) consider better talent than the Titans? We both have two wins and five losses. Both young. Then where is this "talent" that we (the Titans) don't have. I'm sure your team has some points that are stronger as we have points that are stronger, but where's the talent meter?

real
11-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Just out of curiosity, what do you (the Texan fans) consider better talent than the Titans? We both have two wins and five losses. Both young. Then where is this "talent" that we (the Titans) don't have. I'm sure your team has some points that are stronger as we have points that are stronger, but where's the talent meter?

Im asuming this comment was directed towards me....

Mind your bizz-nazz.....

Who cares....I'm not sure why you expect respectable answers out of posters when most of your post have nothing objective to say ...

Example:

Nice to read all these favorite moments. I can't wait until you do get a new QB and still have the same problems. Then who will you want canned next? I think there should be a "Texans Hitlist" and for each game that gets out of control you walk over to whoever is on top of the list and ax them.

blah....blah.....blah....

2ToneBlue
11-01-2006, 03:49 PM
Im asuming this comment was directed towards me....

Mind your bizz-nazz.....

Who cares....I'm not sure why you expect respectable answers out of posters when most of your post have nothing objective to say ...

Example:

blah....blah.....blah....Not directed at any person, I've seen a few posts and would like to know what you guys thought was "better talent" than us that's all.

Mr. White
11-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Not directed at any person, I've seen a few posts and would like to know what you guys thought was "better talent" than us that's all.

I'll start. The Bears, Colts, and Broncos.

2ToneBlue
11-01-2006, 03:55 PM
I'll start. The Bears, Colts, and Broncos.
:lightbulb: I know that lol.

HOU-TEX
11-01-2006, 04:05 PM

Well our Qb is definetly better than....wait, he was benched Sunday, nevermind. Either way, our owner will always be exceptional compared to Mr recycled rodent hair.:whip:

2ToneBlue
11-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Well our Qb is definetly better than....wait, he was benched Sunday, nevermind. Either way, our owner will always be exceptional compared to Mr recycled rodent hair.:whip:LoL, I'm not a huge Adams fan myself. I'll concede on this one, you win. Least we're not owned by the Crypt Keeper Davis,

HOU-TEX
11-01-2006, 04:08 PM
LoL, I'm not a huge Adams fan myself. I'll conceed on this one, you win. Least we're not owned by the Crypt Keeper Davis,

LOL! Or Jerry "Tha Skeletor" Jones.

Texan_Bill
11-01-2006, 04:09 PM

:rofl: You're killing me..... Tell me you are joking!!

The Pencil Neck
11-01-2006, 04:43 PM

Personally, I think the whole "more talented team" thing is crap. We lost. Period.

With that said, I think we have better wide outs, a better tight end, and a better QB. (I know, I know.)

We both have a really good CB but some other questions in the secondary. I think you guys have a better, more experienced group of LB's but I think Demeco is going to easily be as good as any of your guys... but not yet. I think our DL is going to develop into something very good but you guys definitely have the edge with Vandenbosch at this point. I think your OL is a little better than ours.

You guys clearly have the RB edge at this point. The problem I have with your running backs is really more of a durability issue. Both Brown and Henry can be great at times and I think LenDale was a steal in the second round. I think Lundy might develop into something good. I'm not sure about Gado or Dayne on our side. I don't think we'll have these three guys on our team this time next year.

On the coaching side, your coaches have the experience but I think our HC is going to be a great one. If Adams doesn't let Fisher go, I think we're going to have some great games in the future.

So... I think the talent levels of our teams are fairly even... but I still expect to beat you guys the next time we play. We're going to end up with similar records, I think... although I'm hoping that we win all the rest of our games and you guys tank... I just don't expect that.

2ToneBlue
11-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Good assesment, can't really disagree with many of your points, seem very reasonable.

Talk about steals in the draft, how about Ryans. Seems to be a huge difference for you guys.

I agree with you up to:
"but I still expect to beat you guys the next time we play" :)

Go Titans and may the best team win that one.

Nza
11-01-2006, 09:03 PM
:rofl: You're killing me..... Tell me you are joking!!

It came off bad. I didn't mean it as a cheap shot towards the Texans or anything, I simply meant it from a history standpoint - a real, original NFL franchise.

This goes back to what I don't understand - you are pissed Bud took your Oilers away, but going from your reaction to me calling the Oilers a real franchise, you never cared for them in the real place, so I kinda wonder why people are pissed they left. It's like when you take something away from a misbehaving child and he claims "I didn't want it anyway!" and sulks off into his room.

Double Barrel
11-02-2006, 12:40 AM
This goes back to what I don't understand - you are pissed Bud took your Oilers away, but going from your reaction to me calling the Oilers a real franchise, you never cared for them in the real place, so I kinda wonder why people are pissed they left. It's like when you take something away from a misbehaving child and he claims "I didn't want it anyway!" and sulks off into his room.

Houston cared. We supported Bud and created one of the best homefields in NFL history. The "House of Pain" was an apt nickname for the Astrodome during the Oilers heyday. Heck, we even had three games of 50,000+ fans during their lame duck season, after we already knew they were leaving town (I went to the last time the Houston Oilers beat the Pittsburgh Steelers!...now that was a rivalry!)

All those numbers you see retired on the Tennessee Titans homepage (and I assume stadium), and all those Hall of Fame players you see in that franchise's history...were Houston Oilers.

There are a lot of deep emotions shared with the history of that team, and Bud Adams wasn't exactly the most fan friendly of owners. I still think that he would have gotten a stadium deal in Houston if he'd just been patient, but patience has never been one of his virtues.

I've never had a problem with Tennessee Titans fans...well, except for some Houstonians that can't seem to let go (but that's another subject). But the way you come across, with your attempts at demeaning our support of the Oilers and disregarding our shared memories of triumph and defeat, is just wrong, man. You just don't know.

HJam72
11-02-2006, 12:51 AM
I don't miss that franchise now that it has none of the players that were ever Houston Oilers, but I will say that guys like Warren Moon, Earl Campbell, etc., etc., etc. (it's a long list) were Houston Oilers. They were not Titans and they're memories should be celebrated in Houston. This is nothing against Tennessee or its fans. It's just how I feel about the players and celebrating their past accomplishments. There's absolutely no way Warren Moon's recent celebration should have taken place in Tennessee just because the owner is there now.

If he'd been in Houston at a Texan's game instead, the noise would have been IMMENSE.

Nza
11-02-2006, 07:12 AM
Houston cared. We supported Bud and created one of the best homefields in NFL history. The "House of Pain" was an apt nickname for the Astrodome during the Oilers heyday. Heck, we even had three games of 50,000+ fans during their lame duck season, after we already knew they were leaving town (I went to the last time the Houston Oilers beat the Pittsburgh Steelers!...now that was a rivalry!)

All those numbers you see retired on the Tennessee Titans homepage (and I assume stadium), and all those Hall of Fame players you see in that franchise's history...were Houston Oilers.

There are a lot of deep emotions shared with the history of that team, and Bud Adams wasn't exactly the most fan friendly of owners. I still think that he would have gotten a stadium deal in Houston if he'd just been patient, but patience has never been one of his virtues.

I've never had a problem with Tennessee Titans fans...well, except for some Houstonians that can't seem to let go (but that's another subject). But the way you come across, with your attempts at demeaning our support of the Oilers and disregarding our shared memories of triumph and defeat, is just wrong, man. You just don't know.

Demeaning? Where on earth did I come across as demeaning? I'm not the one who brought up less than proud videos of Oilers past or the one who mentioned Bud Adams while at the same time tried to claim ownership of the Titans Superbowl team and Oilers history. That's down right confusing; how people can fight for what they believe is theirs and make fun of it at the same time? It comes off to me as attempts either way to just piss off some Titans fans.

BTW, one person's definition of being impatient is another's definition of being proactive. Blame is easy to throw around when it suits your agenda, but it isn't always directed to where it really should be.

Nza
11-02-2006, 07:23 AM
I don't miss that franchise now that it has none of the players that were ever Houston Oilers, but I will say that guys like Warren Moon, Earl Campbell, etc., etc., etc. (it's a long list) were Houston Oilers. They were not Titans and they're memories should be celebrated in Houston. This is nothing against Tennessee or its fans. It's just how I feel about the players and celebrating their past accomplishments. There's absolutely no way Warren Moon's recent celebration should have taken place in Tennessee just because the owner is there now.

If he'd been in Houston at a Texan's game instead, the noise would have been IMMENSE.

I completely 100% agree, but it is a little tricky. When the Browns moved to Baltimore and assumed a new name, Brown history was retained by Cleveland, but this (obviously) didn't happen for Houston and the Oilers (anyone got some info regarding this btw? I'd be interested to know why). If you were to celebrate a Browns legend today, obviously you'd do it in Cleveland, but lets say the Browns moved to Baltimore and actually was called the Baltimore Browns with the same logo and everything, and a new franchise in Cleveland opened up called the Cleveland Cougars. Where would said legend go then? The city he played in, or the organization he played for? This is similiar to the Moon situation, with one difference - the Oilers name doesn't exist anymore, but when you think about it, team name and logos don't really matter in the grand scheme of things, so besides that one small and rather irrelevant difference, it's the same situation.

It's a tricky question because he (our imaginary Browns legend) owes a lot to both the city and organization, and they too owe a lot to him. It's just, the organization can be personalized to one face - the owner. A city is a collection of a lot of faces and opinions. It's harder to go against one face who may be a friend than a city.

Unless of course Moon just felt that with the Texans in Houston, it made more sense to go to a venue mixed with neutral and positive reactions, rather than a venue that could potentially add negative to the mix given the fact that highlighted in this thread - Oilers in Houston is a tough topic. I know Moon would have likely received 100% positive reactions, but you have to admit, coming to reliant stadium on a Texans home game would have been a little odd - I think the fans deserved it, but there isn't even any guarantee that any old time Oilers fans are even there. At least at a Titans game, Moon knows there are people in the organization present from his time as a Oiler (like Adams).

aj.
11-02-2006, 07:43 AM
... but you have to admit, coming to reliant stadium on a Texans home game would have been a little odd - I think the fans deserved it, but there isn't even any guarantee that any old time Oilers fans are even there. At least at a Titans game, Moon knows there are people in the organization present from his time as a Oiler (like Adams).

You probably need to quit while you're ahead.....or at least quit while you're not so far behind... since you obviously know very little of what you speak. There are many old Oilers fans, like myself, that formed a foundation for the current Texans fan base and who are season ticket holders for the Texans. Many of us are just tired of engaging in these stupid debates that have gone on for years.

The Texans honor gridiron greats (most of whom are old Oilers players) every year at Reliant at an event they now call "Homecoming." The players sign autographs before games in Budweiser Plaza and are introduced at halftime on the field. This is a tradition that started when the Oilers were still here and it's great to see the old players who played in front of us for many years. Moon has trouble making these events because he's a Seahawks radio broadcaster and there's usually a conflict.

... I simply meant it from a history standpoint - a real, original NFL franchise. From a history standpoint, the Oilers/Titans are an original AFL franchise not an original NFL franchise.

What's annoying are the titans fans that come in here 'all knowing' and antagonizing (there's two in particular - now maybe three). There are a lot of good Titans fans from Tennessee who come here to visit and share knowledge, info, good natured smack, etc. But those who are here just to antoagonize and pick at scabs are not worth the effort to respond most of the time. Many don't realize who they are talking to -- in my case I was a fan of their franchise much longer than they've been -- but I'm not any longer because of their scumbag owner.

Nza
11-02-2006, 08:02 AM
Well, I didn't mean original strictly in the sense from day 1, I just meant original as "there a long time ago" with a lot of history in the NFL. In any case, I think you could argue the Oilers are an original team of the modern NFL - the post AFL-NFL merger.

I think the fact old players are honored in Texans games is great (and yes I did know that), but that's totally, totally different to retiring their number to an organization and owner that is still in existence. I'm sure one day in the future when Moon can he'll participate in one of these events, but the topic we're talking is his number retirement celebration, not just some organized honoring. I don't think Moon going to a Texans game to be honoured would be odd at all - I was strictly refering to the number retiring event. Simply put, it would have been odd to retire his number without Bud and the Oilers organization present, and you expect Bud to turn up half time at a Texans game? Yeah, that would have been swell i'm sure. I'm sure there is a lot of angst against it being held in Tennessee, but give it some actual thought and it makes more sense than doing it at a Texans game, even though I think the fans themselves certainly deserved it, it just isn't realistic.

He did it in Houston, but he did it for an organization and owner now not in Houston business wise. As I said, it's a lot easier to connect the past to a handful of people you worked with than a city. What did you expect him to do, retire the Texans #1 jersey? That wouldn't make any sense. You've got to retire your jersey where the team your played for is, not was.

aj.
11-02-2006, 08:09 AM
Well, I didn't mean original strictly in the sense from day 1, I just meant original as "there a long time ago" with a lot of history in the NFL. In any case, I think you could argue the Oilers are an original team of the modern NFL - the post AFL-NFL merger.

I think the fact old players are honored in Texans games is great (and yes I did know that), but that's totally, totally different to retiring their number to an organization and owner that is still in existence. I'm sure one day in the future when Moon can he'll participate in one of these events, but the topic we're talking is his number retirement celebration, not just some organized honoring. I don't think Moon going to a Texans game to be honoured would be odd at all - I was strictly refering to the number retiring event. Simply put, it would have been odd to retire his number without Bud present, and you expect Bud to turn up half time at a Texans game? Yeah, that would have been swell i'm sure. I'm sure there is a lot of angst against it being held in Tennessee, but give it some actual thought and it makes more sense than doing it at a Texans game, even though I think the fans themselves certainly deserved it, it just isn't realistic.

I didn't realize you were talking about retiring Oilers players numbers at Reliant. Yeah, that's stupid - about as stupid as the Texans retiring old Oilers players numbers --- and it won't happen, for good reason. This is another one of those debates that's old and tired.

That said, I witnessed the Elvin Bethea jersey retirement at Nashville in 2003 and it was truly sad. No one in the stadium cared except the few of us who were there that actually saw him play. This brings up my belief that the Oilers are rapidly becoming a "lost" team in terms of history because no one in Murfreesboro gives a damm about it, and Houston no longer owns it -- kind of like what L.A.Rams history and Roman Gabriel and Merlin Olsen mean to some of the older NFL fans in LA. That's part of the reason for the "homecoming" event --- to preserve some of our 36 year history, even if we don't legally own what we witnessed.

The Oilers are an original AFL franchise and became part of the NFL during the merger in 1970. There's really can be no argument about that fact.

Nza
11-02-2006, 08:24 AM
It's definitely a shame that Oilers greats can't get their numbers retired in Houston but, yeah, I guess doing it in Nashville is just the 'lesser of two stupid situations'.

This goes back to what I asked before as I know little on this specific subject - why did Cleveland retain Browns rights but not Houston for Oilers rights? I know the Browns thing happened after the Oilers (er, I think), so it might not have been a possibility, but was there a battle for this? IMO it's stupid the Titans and Adams owns Oiler history. As proven with retiring Oiler numbers, it does nothing but hurts those who are innocent, such as the players. I mean, i'm sure they're happy to get it retired even if they did it in London, but they deserve to do it where they played. It seems to me the NFL dropped the ball big time by not doing what they could to retain Oilers history as Houston property. It's like music and movies and other modern entertainment and literature funded by the people - the owner, the creators; they don't own it, the people do. It's as much a part of their life as anybody's.

IMO, it should be, and always should have been the NFL's policy that if a team moves and doesn't wish to keep it's old name, that the name and related property should remain that of the city. Although, now that I think about it, maybe this is a policy, but Bud simply used a loophole by making the Titans retain the Oilers for two seasons in Tennessee? And the reason the Browns had to give up rights was because they had no intention of using it at all? It would make sense if this was the case.

BTW, I know they're not an original NFL franchise, but the merger was the defining moment for the NFL and the future of pro football in the US. In that sense, I think the Oilers could be considered an original franchise of the 'modern' NFL. The NFL existed before the merge, but only by name - it took the merge to bring it where it is today. Anyway, it's not really worth worrying about as it wasn't vital to my point - which was the Oilers being a long time historical NFL franchise. I probably should have used a better word than 'original' because it wasn't strictly what I meant.

aj.
11-02-2006, 09:03 AM
It's
BTW, I know they're not an original NFL franchise, but the merger was the defining moment for the NFL and the future of pro football in the US. .

The defining moment for the NFL was after the '68 season when the Jets beat the Colts in SB III. The old guard realized at that point that the AFL was not going away and it was no longer inferior (that was proven again in the following year; Chiefs v. Vikings).

The merger was an inevitable byproduct of the success of the AFL, and the NFLs grudging acceptance that they were for real and weren't going away. It defined the current structure of the league, yes, but there were many significant events and defining moments that led to the merger which was as much an anti-climactic event as it was a proactive step forward.

Whether the NFL realized it or not, there were many defining moments for them prior to the merger, not the least of which was when the AFL instituted their draft and started stealing serious talent away from the NFL in the early 60's. Billy Cannon going to the Oilers sent shock waves through the old guard. And that was only the beginning of a flood of talent crossing over to the AFL.

Texan_Bill
11-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Regardless of past Oilers, present Titans whatever, I think of a comments by Bum Phillips and similarly echoed by Earl Campbell. Their sentiments were that they were Houston Oilers, therefore they were supportive of the new franchise in Houston..... See, it was a subtle way for them to take their shots at Bud "the bad rug" Adams and ALL of the crap that he had pulled here in Houston, whether it Bum's dismissal or Earl, or threatening to leave to go to JAX unless the vaunted "pin-ball machine" scoreboard was removed to add seats....People here still love the players, some of the coaches, the Derrick guy with the steel hardhat, Mojo, etc.... Have fun and enjoy, because he will bite y'all sooner or later... Y'all are lucky in one sense and that is that he is extremely old and hopefully you may not have to deal with his cheap, *****ic, trailer trash very long............ But no hard feelings............

michaelm
11-02-2006, 11:00 AM
It came off bad. I didn't mean it as a cheap shot towards the Texans or anything, I simply meant it from a history standpoint - a real, original NFL franchise.

Here's the deal. Most of us grew up with the Oilers and loved them dearly. The only problem was that for much of that time, they were one of the more embarrassing teams in the league, with a history of futility and historic chokes.
When they left, we felt betrayed and hurt... not just in losing our team, but being left without anything to call our own and root us in the game that most of us love above all others. It was a terrible feeling... like homelessness.

When we got a new team, it helped to put all of that in the past, helped us recognize that we had been pulling for a franchise that was dysfunctional and had an owner who is/was classless and cared very little for, not only the fan base that supported his team, but the community which he, himself, calls home.
To this day, I still get grief from my Cowgirl fan friends saying that Houston (NFL) teams have always been a joke. After having been an Oiler fan, and now a fan of a team who has yet to distinguish itself in any positive manner, it's hard to find any ammo to fire back at them.
The history of the NFL in Houston can be easily compared to marriage.
We loved our exes so much that we overlooked just how screwed up that *****/bastard really was.
When we look back, we still have memories of those feelings and always will to an extent, but damn are we glad that that person has moved on and is screwing up someone elses life instead of ours.
We know you love that *****, and we hope she doesn't do you like she did us... but at the same time... better you than us...

Texan_Bill
11-02-2006, 11:48 AM
Here's the deal. Most of us grew up with the Oilers and loved them dearly. The only problem was that for much of that time, they were one of the more embarrassing teams in the league, with a history of futility and historic chokes.
When they left, we felt betrayed and hurt... not just in losing our team, but being left without anything to call our own and root us in the game that most of us love above all others. It was a terrible feeling... like homelessness.

When we got a new team, it helped to put all of that in the past, helped us recognize that we had been pulling for a franchise that was dysfunctional and had an owner who is/was classless and cared very little for, not only the fan base that supported his team, but the community which he, himself, calls home.
To this day, I still get grief from my Cowgirl fan friends saying that Houston (NFL) teams have always been a joke. After having been an Oiler fan, and now a fan of a team who has yet to distinguish itself in any positive manner, it's hard to find any ammo to fire back at them.
The history of the NFL in Houston can be easily compared to marriage.
We loved our exes so much that we overlooked just how screwed up that *****/bastard really was.
When we look back, we still have memories of those feelings and always will to an extent, but damn are we glad that that person has moved on and is screwing up someone elses life instead of ours.
We know you love that *****, and we hope she doesn't do you like she did us... but at the same time... better you than us...

YAHTZEE!!!!!

real
11-02-2006, 11:51 AM
I love the title of this thread...

Double Barrel
11-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Demeaning? Where on earth did I come across as demeaning?

When you compare Oilers fans emotional reactions to that of a child throwing a temper tantrum

If you weren't here, and if you did not live the history, you cannot possibly understand the deep attachment and subsequent resentment of losing the team.

BTW, one person's definition of being impatient is another's definition of being proactive. Blame is easy to throw around when it suits your agenda, but it isn't always directed to where it really should be.

The problem was between our career politicians in this city and a very ornery owner.

Fans had absolutely no say in the matter, and the little 'rally' that is constantly put in Oilers fans faces was poorly planned, not advertised, and in the middle of a workday. Nobody even knew about it until after it had happened.

Bud had an agenda, and the city's politicians weren't playing the game. Bud is not a man of compromise, and that is what was required to successfully put a new stadium here. I say patience, because the county was still paying off tens of millions of dollars in upgrades to the Astrodome that Bud demanded.

You should really read more about your franchise's history. There are a couple of good books out there that will reveal a darker side of this owner that you may not be aware of right now.

The Texans honor gridiron greats (most of whom are old Oilers players) every year at Reliant at an event they now call "Homecoming." The players sign autographs before games in Budweiser Plaza and are introduced at halftime on the field. This is a tradition that started when the Oilers were still here and it's great to see the old players who played in front of us for many years. Moon has trouble making these events because he's a Seahawks radio broadcaster and there's usually a conflict.

Good stuff, aj., all the way around. :thumbup

Another thing worth mentioning is Oilers icon, Bum Phillips, at a Texans practice this pre-season. He's never been to a Titans practice, and never will. What is more powerful? A city's memories, or a franchise's records?

Bum Phillips at practice (video) (http://www.houstontexans.com/main/news_photo_video/more_multimedia.php#)

Any Oiler, including Warren Moon, would be welcomed with open arms and much love by Houston fans. That blue oil derrick will always live in our hearts. Nobody can ever take that away from us.

Texan_Bill
11-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Another thing worth mentioning is Oilers icon, Bum Phillips, at a Texans practice this pre-season. He's never been to a Titans practice, and never will. What is more powerful? A city's memories, or a franchise's records?

I remember that, but I am also trying to find remarks he made whever we were first awarded a new franchise. He said something very similar, but I want to find the exact quote. Earl chimed in with similar sentiments....

GuerillaBlack
11-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Unlike the weak applaud from Titans fans when Warren Moon had his number retired, Texans fans would cheer their heads off. We may be the "Texans," but we are also in the city of Houston.

Osso
11-02-2006, 04:53 PM
please remove your avatar.....its been 2 + weeks

GuerillaBlack
11-02-2006, 05:02 PM
I just put it up on Saturday.

Second Honeymoon
11-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Hilarious OP. That picture of Bud is nauseating to a former Oiler fan. Seeing that fat pile of lard hold that trophy is nothing to be proud of Titan fan...

The one with Matthews is somewhat digestible but the squirrel on Adams' head is in the way.

rafterticket
11-03-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm not from Tennessee - i'm not even a US citizen. I couldn't care less about where the team was built, because Oiler history is Titan history. The city is totally irrelevant.

You know, you were posting some really interesting stuff - making points, talking trash, etc. I thought you were okay.

Now you say you're not even from Tennessee, not a a bitter ex-Oiler fan from Houston, and not EVEN A US CITIZEN!

Let me ask you something - why should anyone on this board give ***** **** **** **** *** about anything you say????

Go play a real exciting game, like futbol, and get lost!

Titan "Tack" Fan
11-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Hilarious OP. That picture of Bud is nauseating to a former Oiler fan. Seeing that fat pile of lard hold that trophy is nothing to be proud of Titan fan...

The one with Matthews is somewhat digestible but the squirrel on Adams' head is in the way.

Why is winning the AFC Championship nothing to be proud of? The Oilers/Titans had been in Tennessee for 3 years at that point, should we just have been like, "no, this isn't our team. Let's not be proud of this."

Texan_Bill
11-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Why is winning the AFC Championship nothing to be proud of? The Oilers/Titans had been in Tennessee for 3 years at that point, should we just have been like, "no, this isn't our team. Let's not be proud of this."

No one remembers who came in second place in the league...... Unless of course it's "the bad rug's team"..... and naturally Houstonians will remember.......:redtowel:

eric138
11-03-2006, 03:42 PM

It sucks that y'all got the team y'all got but shoot, it is a hellofalot better that having nothing. If we were blessed with a jackarse team like the Titans I would still cheer them on and be happier than shiot if they won the AFCC.

cheer on

Second Honeymoon
11-03-2006, 03:47 PM

You misconstrued my statement. Having Bud Adams hold a AFC 'Championship' Trophy aloft is nothing to be proud of. That guy is a festering sore of the NFL.

Oh and I don't feel you won with 'our' players. TN bought the team fair and square and even changed the name/unis. I don't even have a problem with you honoring past Oiler greats because Adams was their owner and they played for the now named Titans franchise. As long as they can be honored on our field as 'Local Heroes' then there can be no hate towards that.

As for the AFC 'Championship' itself, the fact remains that Bud Adams' Oilers have won the same amount of Super Bowls as the Texans. That being said, if anyone can beat the Oiler's jinx it is Mr. Vince Young himself. Kudos to the Titans for making the right pick with VY.

Doug from The Woodlands

GuerillaBlack
11-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Once Bud pushes daisies from up the ground, could Houston get our history back.