PDA

View Full Version : Dunta should be ashamed of himself

BattleRedToro
10-30-2006, 08:19 PM
As much as P-Burnt was called a coward for his now infamous nontackle play at the goal-line, Dunta too should be ridiculed for his Matador like defense on Vince Young's TD run in yesterday's loss. Sure, the Titans probably would have scored anyway, but his attempt to gently push Young out of bounds made me sick. He should have put his whole body into it and let Young know right then and there, if you come running up the field and don't slide feet first then you are going to get hit, HARD! Instead, he acted like he didn't want to hurt him or himself, or heavens forbid get fined by the league. I'd much rather have an entire defense with a House of Pain mentality than what I saw on that play. It doesn't mean that the defense plays dirty, but it does mean the other team will know they were in a fight when the game is over.:twocents:

Bubbajwp
10-30-2006, 08:23 PM
To me it didnt look like he didnt try. I personally thought VY was already passing him when Drob tried to tackle him.

sprtsfanatic
10-30-2006, 08:23 PM
As much as P-Burnt was called a coward for his now infamous nontackle play at the goal-line, Dunta too should be ridiculed for his Matador like defense on Vince Young's TD run in yesterday's loss. Sure, the Titans probably would have scored anyway, but his attempt to gently push Young out of bounds made me sick. He should have put his whole body into it and let Young know right then and there, if you come running up the field and don't slide feet first then you are going to get hit, HARD! Instead, he acted like he didn't want to hurt him or himself, or heavens forbid get fined by the league. I'd much rather have an entire defense with a House of Pain mentality than what I saw on that play. It doesn't mean that the defense plays dirty, but it does mean the other team will know they were in a fight when the game is over.:twocents:

Also noted the play....pretty weak hit if you ask me...I've seen him lay some BIG A S S tightends out along with some full backs...there is no way you can tell me that vince is bigger and stronger than those other players we have all seen dunta lay out....I just cant believe that kind of non sense.

Blu
10-30-2006, 08:33 PM
I thought it took everything he had just to get there...to bad he couldn't set and get an angle like we all wished what would have happened...but your crazy to call him out for effort, that's weak!

VY is a freaking hoss for a QB, if it was Chadd Pennington that same hit would have tore his shoulder up . xD

Ole Miss Texan
10-30-2006, 08:38 PM
i saw that and was really dissappointed he didn't knock the crud out of VY, that would have made espn's monday big hit reel. Maybe he took a bad angle to get to VY? not quite sure..Vince is a lot faster than he looks and its frustrating to watch if you're the defense(fan). It looks like he just glides along.

I did like how Mario caught VY from behind.

the wonger need food
10-30-2006, 08:38 PM
He didn't have the angle to more than touch him. That play was nothing like the PBust garbage last year.

Grid
10-30-2006, 08:39 PM
even if Dunta HAD whiffed on a tackle.. he has proved his ability a hundred times over.. and calling him out is just callous.

sprtsfanatic
10-30-2006, 08:42 PM
call it what you want...but that attempt was WEAK...I dont want to hear excuses about angles, possibilities of fines, dunta has not been the big hitter we have known him to be or seen his rookie year.

run-david-run
10-30-2006, 08:55 PM
There was no way he could get any force from his legs in the hit because he was sprinting full speed. On the big hits in the past, such as Reggie Wayne of Kyle Johnson, they are going toward each other, so its easy to generate force, but on this one he could only reach out his arms, and I;ve seen Vy play enough to know an arm tackle from a DB is not going to bring him down. Personaly I dont think he could do much more then he did.

Grid
10-30-2006, 09:03 PM
I agree with the Kubaik approach, in other words every player is held responsible for their play however good or bad it is. If it is fair to call out Carr for turning the ball over then it is fair to call out Dunta for not tackling.

If Carr's only mistake had been the one interception..no one would be calling him out right now.

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
10-30-2006, 09:21 PM
I actually thought the same thing when I watched the game, however when I watched the DVR again Dunta just missed his shot on Young. At the point of contact Young is at the 3 1/2 and Dunta is on the 4 yd. line so he just missed by half a step! He dipped his shoulder to make the shot and drive him out of bounds but Young had 1/2 step on him and and he just brushed off his back. Its always amazed me how with Youngs long stride he makes it look like he is moving slow and is an easy target but looks a deceiving! It still sucks that Dunta did not make the play but at least he did not pull up like Pbuc.

Honoring Earl 34
10-30-2006, 09:26 PM
I agree with the Kubaik approach, in other words every player is held responsible for their play however good or bad it is. If it is fair to call out Carr for turning the ball over then it is fair to call out Dunta for not tackling.

Dunta may be pound for pound our best hitter . You can critique his coverage but not his tackling .

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
10-30-2006, 09:53 PM
A missed tackle is a missed tackle. I don't care if we are talking about Dick Butkus, if a player misses a tackle he can be critiqued for it, and as far as I saw it Dunta missed the tackle.

I agree with this part of your post but you started the thread questioning Dunta's willingness to lay the wood to VY!

If your point is he missed the tackle either by buying on the pump fake early in the play before Young took off or that he had a bad break on the ball I can't argue with that. It's another one of those little things that break down on both sides of the ball for the Texans that cost us big time during the game. The only defense for Dunta I have is that he is not afraid to hit anybody, he just needs to put himself in a better position to make the play which he did not on Sunday.

10-30-2006, 09:53 PM
He didn't have the angle to more than touch him. That play was nothing like the PBust garbage last year.

agreed.

TEXANS84
10-30-2006, 09:55 PM
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/young103006.jpg

No angle. VY was already there.

CC Brown however is playing with his shadow.

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
10-30-2006, 09:59 PM

No thats funny!

thunderkyss
10-30-2006, 10:04 PM
There was that one play Dunta had the TB behind the LOS, and he just danced with him until help arrived.....

Not exactly what we've come to expect from Dunta. Maybe he was scared that it was TravisWho??

But Dunta is like AJ. He makes enough plays(he had in that game, and the Jax game) that we excuse him for one or two non-plays.....

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Vince isn't exactly the easiest guy to bring down

Double Barrel
10-30-2006, 11:14 PM
I thought the same thing right after the play. But D.Rob has earned the benefit of the doubt, and after replay, he just didn't have the angle.

Plus, y'all are completely forgetting about Vince Young's force field that surrounds him. ;)

Vince isn't exactly the easiest guy to bring down

I did like how Mario caught VY from behind.

Exactly. I expect it's a sign of things to come. :texflag:

run-david-run
10-31-2006, 12:06 AM
There was that one play Dunta had the TB behind the LOS, and he just danced with him until help arrived.....

Not exactly what we've come to expect from Dunta. Maybe he was scared that it was TravisWho??

But Dunta is like AJ. He makes enough plays(he had in that game, and the Jax game) that we excuse him for one or two non-plays.....

We must be the only people who expect our 175 CB to take down Travis Henry one-on-one. I have no problem with him containing him, especially for a loss or no gain, until the big guys come to finish him off. You see Linebacker miss tackles all the time, nothing wrong with not letting your man go foward when pursuit is coming if your a little guy.

run-david-run
10-31-2006, 12:07 AM

No angle. VY was already there.

I wanna give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was looking to see if VY step out of bounds, but that is too funny.

Ole Miss Texan
10-31-2006, 12:12 AM
hahahaha, cc brown seems to be playing with his shadow...great picture. Is he asking for us to draft LaRon Landry?

michaelm
10-31-2006, 01:16 AM
It looked to me like Dunta may actually have underestimated VY's speed. If he judges correctly, he takes a better angle and with just a half step difference, really lays the wood on VY, IMO. It sure looked to me like he arrived at the scene with bad intentions, but with a little bad timing too.

tex
10-31-2006, 09:35 AM
If Carr's only mistake had been the one interception..no one would be calling him out right now.

yea right!

QB75
10-31-2006, 09:39 AM

Dunta didn't have the angle to get there in time. Get off his back.

real
10-31-2006, 09:44 AM
He should have made the play, but VY is a beast...

I'll give him so slack on that one...

QB75
10-31-2006, 09:46 AM

VY is a beast? Not really.

real
10-31-2006, 09:58 AM
VY is a beast? Not really.

Can you tackle VY ?

QB75
10-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Can you tackle VY ?

Lots of people have tackled VY. He's no big deal.

powerfuldragon
10-31-2006, 10:00 AM
Can you tackle VY ?
lol. good one.

I was one of dunta's critics early in the season, but now I like him. He's one of the reasons our defense is starting to look legit. lay off him.

real
10-31-2006, 10:04 AM

That wasn't my question....

I said can you tackle VY ???

D.Rob is our best tackling DB....I can see if there were some concern with his coverage at times, but D.Rob has provided us with countless big hits on opposing players....

He messed up on one tackle....and now "he should be ashamed of himself"....

real
10-31-2006, 10:04 AM

Lot's of good players have been embarrased as well...

Meloy
10-31-2006, 10:11 AM
I think what I see is as a game starts to go against Texans, some players ease up. Maybe saying "well, if we are not going to win , I am not going to get hurt or put out much effort." I think this started last year. SUre hope I am wrong.

Vinny
10-31-2006, 10:12 AM
He messed up on one tackle....and now "he should be ashamed of himself"....

actually this is a good example of one fan starting a ridiculous thread with an unfounded assertion...and people give it credibility. Don't post in crap threads like this and he doesn't get any cred for making dumb comments. You guys need to let junk threads like this just fall...you do that by not posting in them. Just your tip of the day.

phan1
10-31-2006, 10:13 AM
VY is 200+ lbs, and dunta is what, 140? C'mon, it's not like he didn't get there for lack of trying. He shouldn't be ashamed of himself. If you want to point a finger, point at Peek for letting VY through in the 1st place.

QB75
10-31-2006, 10:14 AM

VY is no harder to tackle than any quick RB.

real
10-31-2006, 10:15 AM

LMAO....

And you would know this how ????

A.J Hawk...Is that You ?

TexanFanInCC
10-31-2006, 10:17 AM
one thing i find annoying is that dunta does too much trash talking on the field despite being the centerpiece of one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. he needs to wake up and realize that it is not just about himself all the time. the secondary sucks and he is "supposed" to be the backbone. i dont think that it makes any sense for him to do all the talking. he hasnt played well enough to have respect from anyone. i still think he is potentially a great player, but he needs to check himself.

real
10-31-2006, 10:21 AM
one thing i find annoying is that dunta does too much trash talking on the field despite being the centerpiece of one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. he needs to wake up and realize that it is not just about himself all the time. the secondary sucks and he is "supposed" to be the backbone. i dont think that it makes any sense for him to do all the talking. he hasnt played well enough to have respect from anyone. i still think he is potentially a great player, but he needs to check himself.

:rolleyes:

You know....Some would say attitude on the football field is a good thing....

QB75
10-31-2006, 10:23 AM
LMAO....

And you would know this how ????

A.J Hawk...Is that You ?

Try watching a game. He's tackled pretty often.

real
10-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Try watching a game. He's tackled pretty often.

Again........I ask.........And You would know this how ???

How can you watch a game.....and come to the conclusion that he is no harder to tackle than someone else??? Help me understand this logic....

TexanFanInCC
10-31-2006, 10:26 AM
:rolleyes:

You know....Some would say attitude on the football field is a good thing....

attitude is great if its not to the point where u make urself look bad because ur game doesnt back up the words that are spoken. if our secondary was even "reasonable" to watch, then SURE i wouldnt mind....but thats not the case.

Roughnecks
10-31-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm more worried about Sanders the guy is awful as well as both S DRob is last of my worries. We need help in the secondary no question about but we need to look at the others but I agree he needs to work harder but if you are sitting back there and your guys a getting beat up all game he might be trying to hard either way they all need help.

HOU-TEX
10-31-2006, 12:24 PM
I believe Dunta put a good effort in trying to make a play on this TD. He just didn't get there in time. If anyone is to blame on this TD, it'd be Peek. Peek had vy in the backfield for a sack but lost his handle on him. If you're going to point fingers, look at the whole play. Realistically, Dunta should've been in the huddle at that time rather than trying to knock vy out of bounds.

QB75
10-31-2006, 01:35 PM
Again........I ask.........And You would know this how ???

How can you watch a game.....and come to the conclusion that he is no harder to tackle than someone else??? Help me understand this logic....

{laugh} All I implied was that he was an adequate football player who has been brought down many times by lots of different players' which isn't illogical. Hard to see how that makes "vy" a "beast". How do you know?

real
10-31-2006, 02:46 PM
{laugh} All I implied was that he was an adequate football player who has been brought down many times by lots of different players' which isn't illogical. Hard to see how that makes "vy" a "beast". How do you know?

Well I've actually played against the guy...And when I played him...he was a beast...

But besides that I have more evidence that he's a beast than you do that he's "easy to bring down"........Roll that beautiful bean footage... (http://youtube.com/results?search_query=Vince+Young+highlights)

real
10-31-2006, 02:55 PM
... and Dunta didn't look like he was giving an all out effort on that play...

Well that's your opinion...I didn't watch the game, and haven't seen the play....But i will confidently say that he was trying to make the tackle...

But this whole thing about him "not giving full effort"....that's all speculation....

If a player is not giving full effort...then yes....they should be ashamed of themselves...not for your sake....but for their own....

But missing tackles happen...he may be upset at himself, but he shouldn't be "ashamed"...

real
10-31-2006, 04:33 PM
Just about everything on this entire message board is speculation and I never said he should be ashamed for my sake. That doesn't even make sense, xtruroyaltyx. Of course they should be ashamed for their own sakes that was my whole point.
:survivor:

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-31-2006, 05:05 PM

Except that he's 6'5, 240

real
10-31-2006, 05:08 PM
Ok. That post made as much sense as your last one. You, sir, are on a roll.:rollbaby:
:piano:

real
10-31-2006, 05:14 PM
The hits just keep on comin'.:bguitar:
:woot:

thunderkyss
10-31-2006, 06:11 PM
Dunta should be ashamed of himself for that passing touchdown he gave up to Vince in the third Qtr.

Vince was in the gun, we were playing pressed man coverage. Dunta had Wade in the slot. Two of the three recievers ran crossing patterns. #81(Bennette??) ran a post to the middle of the field just in front of the endzone. All three recievers are followed closely by our Corners.

Sanders was covering the guy on Vince's left, Dunta was on Wade in the slot to the right. As they crossed, I though...... oh, well Dunta must have been scrubbed off by Sanders & that reciever, as they crossed over Wade.

But after watching the replays, you can clearly see Dunta looking at Vince the whole time. He watches Vince's eyes to the right, and he notices that Sanders is trailing his man, so he jumps that route, trying to break up that pass.

Then Wade is free about 15 yards in front of the endzone.... badda bing, badda boom..... TD Tennessee.

You can watch the safeties, and the LBs, they play a pretty good zone coverage.... Dunta actually tried to do Meco's job, even though Meco had it covered, which was why Vince looked back to his left.

I know it's pretty hard to tell who had what responsibility, but this one is pretty easy....