PDA

View Full Version : Pro's and Con's of Kubiak in your opinion.

PocketAces
10-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Proís
- He is pushing the team like they have never been pushed before and the team is responding well.
- He cut some old baggage off this team (could be a con as well BUT) has given opportunities to a lot of guys who would probably be special teamers on other teams and they have responded (O. Daniels, W. Lundy, S. Gado, A. Maddox, D. Anderson, K. Walter).
- Had a good first draft, Mario is playing good, Ryans is a monster, Spencer was good (weíll see you next year big man), Winston is progressing, Daniels is a stud (could be a pro-bowl rookie), Anderson has taken the Return position and looked good, and Lundy is turning into the back we saw during pre-season!!!
- Team has matched the win margin from last year and will turn some heads in the upcoming weeks.

Conís
- He is to inconsistent with keeping people in starting positions
- He signed Ron Dayne!
- He shows favoritism to Carr even when Sage earns the right to start (didnít do that with Putz.)
- He has only produced 2 wins with a team that is capable for much more!

real
10-30-2006, 05:27 PM
Conís
- He is to inconsistent with keeping people in starting positions
- He signed Ron Dayne!
- He shows favoritism to Carr even when Sage earns the right to start (didnít do that with Putz.)
- He has only produced 2 wins with a team that is capable for much more!

I'm not really sure what people expect him to do here...

QB is a totally different animal than every other position...You can't start on QB this week and plug guys in till you find one that fits like you can with RB's...Let Carr sink or swim...give it time...

But one negative I have about Kubes is that he seems to make questionable decisions before the half...And also I don't like like the fact that he only carries two RB's...

Kaiser Toro
10-30-2006, 05:34 PM
He has met all of my expectations as a fan. He is throwing things at the board and seeing if they stick. While doing it he has equaled last year's win total by game 6 and his first class of rookies are contributing and getting invaluable experience.

If you pinch your nostrils to stop the smell, you might be able to see and feel that not only a team is being formed, but an attitude.

TexansSeminole
10-30-2006, 05:45 PM
I like the way Kubiak does interviews and press conferences...he explains everything with details. Makes me beleive that he is a good coach and uses good judgement. http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=3043&section=N%20Latest%20News is a example of this. He gives full answers. Look at the difference in a press conference given by Kubiak and Capers.

Hookem Horns
10-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Let Carr sink or swim...give it time...

Will 5 MORE years be enough?

Wharton
10-30-2006, 06:00 PM
I still think Kubes and GM Smith are the right men for the job. Yes Gado and Dayne don't look like good moves, but they are willing to shake things up to get better. Thatís fine by me. As far as the wins, I didn't expect us to have any yet, so I'm happy. I expected all the wins to be in the backside of the schedule. As far as DC is concerned, I am not a big DC fan, but he does look better then last year. I still thing Sage has earned a start.

real
10-30-2006, 06:02 PM

Yeah that should be just right....:rolleyes:

NEROtheZERO
10-30-2006, 06:06 PM

How about one?

The guy has been one of the best QB in the NFL this season, there is no reason for him to lose his job after one bad game. If he can't put together some consistancy this season then deal him in the offseason.

DenverBorn
10-30-2006, 06:15 PM
I like the comment from AJ in the posted interview notes - about how the ball from Sage "snuck up on him". I said this yesterday - do you know what that means? Rosenfels actually anticipated the break and had the ball there when AJ turned around. Like a QB is supposed to do. AJ is not used to that. He is used to turning around and waiting for Carr to find him or for Carr to throw it up for grabs into double (or more) coverage.

Double Barrel
10-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Kubiak has inherited a team that was in disarray from the previous regime and GM. We had players starting that, when cut, no other team bothered to pick up. We've made many questionable FO decisions that will haunt our cap for a couple of years. Kubiak is a new head coach, and he's not a miracle worker.

I like the fact that he's straight up with players, media, and fans. He is a no B.S. item, and calls it like he sees it. He doesn't play favorite(s), and benching Carr proves that point. NOBODY is beyond reproach on this team now. That, in itself, is a monumental step in the right direction.

I think we'll see a lot more aggressiveness in Kubiak's gameplans and playcalling as he develops his team. You see flashes of it - going for it on 4th in the first qtr, for instance - but he doesn't have the talent and he doesn't have the faith in this team to truly implement a domination gameplan.

But we won't see a "play not to lose" mentality with Kubiak. I honestly believe that we'll go for the throat if we're up 21+ points in the 4th qtr., which is another breath of fresh air. We just have to give him time to put a team together that truly reflects his vision and leadership.

hollywood_texan
10-30-2006, 06:24 PM
The best thing Kubiak has going for him right now is his 2006 draft class. It looks like they did very well there.

As for the free agency, they didn't do so hot. Moulds was a good a move, I guess for a 5th round pick. I think we could have gotten him through clearing waivers. But I think their hand was pushed because they needed a proven receiver to a be #2. Besides, it is tough for any team to do amazing things through free agency at this day and age. So, I wouldn't be too critical right now of their moves in free agency. I am not sure if Weaver has lived up to the price tag yet.

The running back situation seems strange. I really don't understand where they are doing there, but it's tough to build something with the guys available. Basically, it's the Morency situation that has me miffed. But, I have a feeling Morency made it very clear he wanted a lot of reps, and Kubiak knew he couldn't give it to him. Factor that in with other issues, they looked to get some value.

The Carr situation seems to be one that could get out of control very quickly for Kubiak. I don't think he was sold on Carr so much as McNair making it clear that Carr was a part of the job if he wanted it. Let's not forget that Dan Reeves was a consultant during the 2005 regular season and he reported Carr was not the problem. I am sure that played very big in all the interviews and McNair used that to push the Carr contract issue and too accept it. Besides, why else would McNair hire Reeves other than to push this issue through the Head Coach search process? There really was no need for Reeves evaulation. Basically, I believe Kubiak didn't have any choice but to accept Carr because he would have to have gone contrary to Reeves report. It was a package deal and I am sure Kubiak was extremely confident in his abilities as a coach and that one player, regardless of if he picked him or drafted him, will not define his head coaching career.

Kubiak has some very tough decisions to make this season and in the offseason. My advice to him, would be to think about how he drafted in 2006and follow that same logic when evaluating players.

Lastly, his play calling has been a little strange and needs improvement, particularly with two minutes left in the half. I think that issue is due to his lack of confidence in the offense though.

Double Barrel
10-30-2006, 06:35 PM
The Carr situation seems to be one that could get out of control very quickly for Kubiak. I don't think he was sold on Carr so much as McNair making it clear that Carr was a part of the job if he wanted it. Let's not forget that Dan Reeves was a consultant during the 2005 regular season and he reported Carr was not the problem. I am sure that played very big in all the interviews and McNair used that to push the Carr contract issue and too accept it. Besides, why else would McNair hire Reeves other than to push this issue through the Head Coach search process? There really was no need for Reeves evaulation. Basically, I believe Kubiak didn't have any choice but to accept Carr because he would have to have gone contrary to Reeves report. It was a package deal and I am sure Kubiak was extremely confident in his abilities as a coach and that one player, regardless of if he picked him or drafted him, will not define his head coaching career.

[speculation - FWIW]

This is a very interesting situation when you look at it closely. Kubiak, being a brand new head coach, might not have had the confidence in his power at the point that the Carr decision was made. He had the owner, being consulted by Dan Reeves, and the GM, a self-glossed 'know-it-all', telling the new head coach that David Carr was all that and a bag of chips.

The only reason I truly question how much he believed in Carr back in Feb/March: a reliable little bird told me that Kubiak was big on Bush, and Casserly big on Mario for the draft. The owner's condition was having whoever we picked signed before the draft (which is why both players were offered deal prior to the draft). We know for a fact that both players were offered deals, which Bush rejected and Mario accepted. The rest is history. (not publicly known as fact is who wanted who)

If true, then there were power issues during Kubiak's first couple of months as head coach. And he might not have had a full decision at the time that Carr's deal was signed. We know, pretty much for fact, that both McNair and Casserly were big on Carr, especially considering how they've marketed the 'face of the franchise' and all that jazz.

This is food for thought, so everyone please take it for how I'm presenting it. I only mention it to gain insight into our team and their decisions. Feel free to disagree or whatever.

[/speculation - FWIW]

MrMeToo
10-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Just off the top of my head...
Pros:
Keeps AJ involved
Cons:
Needs to pull the plug on Carr.

kubs-elway
10-30-2006, 06:46 PM
I think everyone that has posted had alot of good points. I believe there is only one thing that will keep kubs from being sucessfull, and that is your owner. If he micro-manages, it will never work. Smith and Kubiak are one the same page, but the entire front office has to be. If they bicker over picks, or free agents, that will be the end.

One great thing about kubs and his coaching- He never gets excited or down. Once the players start to take after him, you will see less penalties, less talking, and more precision in the way they attack. Pretty soon the leaders on the team will be extensions of him, and accountability within the team will accour. The captians will hold the other players accountable before the staff even gets to them.

TexansSeminole
10-30-2006, 06:50 PM
If true, then there were power issues during Kubiak's first couple of months as head coach. And he might not have had a full decision at the time that Carr's deal was signed. We know, pretty much for fact, that both McNair and Casserly were big on Carr, especially considering how they've marketed the 'face of the franchise' and all that jazz.

This is food for thought, so everyone please take it for how I'm presenting it. I only mention it to gain insight into our team and their decisions. Feel free to disagree or whatever.

[/speculation - FWIW]

I am no so sure Kubiak is partial to Carr in any way other than he thinks he has the most potential out of the QBs he has on the roster. I dont know about any of the opinions of the staff and administration but I would assume that one of McNair's preferences was that we not draft a QB considering the money he has invested in Carr.

One great thing about kubs and his coaching- He never gets excited or down. Once the players start to take after him, you will see less penalties, less talking, and more precision in the way they attack. Pretty soon the leaders on the team will be extensions of him, and accountability within the team will accour. The captians will hold the other players accountable before the staff even gets to them.

I agree with you.

Double Barrel
10-30-2006, 07:11 PM
I am no so sure Kubiak is partial to Carr in any way other than he thinks he has the most potential out of the QBs he has on the roster. I dont know about any of the opinions of the staff and administration but I would assume that one of McNair's preferences was that we not draft a QB considering the money he has invested in Carr.

Good point, man (and thanks for the reasoned reply, too). Maybe this year is his true evaluation of Carr. Benching him for a bad performance and then seeing how he responds the next game will be a big test.

Kubiak can watch game film and listen to everyone's advice, but nothing beats a one-on-one evaluation while implementing his offensive system. Giving Carr a full 16 game schedule is definitely a way to truly see what a player is all about.

Mentioning "McNair's preferences", though, does tie into my previously mentioned theory, FWIW. Does Kubiak have the full power to eject Carr if he doesn't think he's got what it takes after this season? Hypothetical question, of course, but one that begs for an answer in my mind.

TexansSeminole
10-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Does Kubiak have the full power to eject Carr if he doesn't think he's got what it takes after this season?

That's a tough question, I doubt he'd pay another QB big money to come in and play with Carr still on the roster. To have 2 QBs on your team taking up alot of cap space doesn't seem smart, or something that this staff would do. Now my question is what would make Kubiak completely (as in taking him off the roster/trading him) give up on Carr after one season.

TexanSam
10-30-2006, 07:42 PM
He has odd clock management at time. Other than that, he's done what I've expected. We've looked good at times and bad at times. I do see improvement under him though, moreso than I saw under Capers.

Texan1
10-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Kubes in fine, IMO, he just needs to determine this year what his personnel needs will be going forward.

Vinny
10-30-2006, 07:51 PM
I think it is too early to start summing up Kubiak...all we can do right now is throw out knee-jerker commentary. I sure know I've done my share of knee-jerking early in this season but when I listen to him talk he is an easy man to pull for. I think he has a plan and this team had very little talent for a base. Right now I'm not in love with his clock management, the Morency trade, the fact that Pitts is the best tackle on the team but we have our best Guard playing Tackle in Weigart....and a few other things, but those are just fan opinions and I've seen enough good stuff to think that we are headed in the right direction. It's Pollyanaville to think that our coach won't make bad decisions on personnel and game planning from time to time, so I can't complain right now. Kubiak is likable, smart and doesn't pander to us or give us condescending answers to honest questions. He comes across as down to earth and matter of fact. Personally, I like that in our head coach and feel comfortable with him long term.

Double Barrel
10-30-2006, 07:52 PM
That's a tough question, I doubt he'd pay another QB big money to come in and play with Carr still on the roster. To have 2 QBs on your team taking up alot of cap space doesn't seem smart, or something that this staff would do. Now my question is what would make Kubiak completely (as in taking him off the roster/trading him) give up on Carr after one season.

That's a really good point. :hmmm:

Looking at it from that perspective, he might see enough potential to do something with him for another season (or two). To be honest, I don't have a clue what issues Kubiak would have to have to fire/trade Carr.

Appreciate the thoughtful reply.

Texans_Chick
10-30-2006, 09:17 PM
When Kubiak was annointed as the next head coach of the Texans I was kinda non-excited about it.

After I researched it, heard what people think about him and what he does, and basically have read or heard just about everything he says, I am a big fan.

He's real. He doesn't put on phony stuff. Likable and confident. Willing to try new things but also not too panicky when things go bad. For better or worse, he has a philosophy and is trying to move the team in that direction.

Has everything he tried worked? Has he been mistake free? No. No coach is infallible, and as a newish coach he has probably makes rookie coach mistakes.

One of the hardest things in sports is to change a losing organization into a winning one, and it is the hardest challenge Kubiak faces as a coach.

The Texans have had their first winning preseason.
The Texans have beaten their first bad team at home this season.
The Texans have beaten their first good team at home this season.
The Texans have won a close game at home this season.
The Texans have had their first blow out win this season.

They need to learn to win on the road. They need to make Reliant a dominating home field advantage. They need to learn consistency. They need to figure out the third quarter.

Part of that stuff can be coached up, but part of that we are going to have to wait for better personel.

tsip
10-30-2006, 09:41 PM
I think it is too early to start summing up Kubiak...all we can do right now is throw out knee-jerker commentary. I sure know I've done my share of knee-jerking early in this season but when I listen to him talk he is an easy man to pull for. I think he has a plan and this team had very little talent for a base. Right now I'm not in love with his clock management, the Morency trade, the fact that Pitts is the best tackle on the team but we have our best Guard playing Tackle in Weigart....and a few other things, but those are just fan opinions and I've seen enough good stuff to think that we are headed in the right direction. It's Pollyanaville to think that our coach won't make bad decisions on personnel and game planning from time to time, so I can't complain right now. Kubiak is likable, smart and doesn't pander to us or give us condescending answers to honest questions. He comes across as down to earth and matter of fact. Personally, I like that in our head coach and feel comfortable with him long term.

...good post, Vinny. Too, I like the way Kubiak tries different 'things' and is not so rigid in his coaching stance/philosophy--sometimes it even seems he reads our boards and uses some of our thoughts!

JMO, but I believe Carr is going to be his toughest decision, unless Carr can turn himself around and progress/succeed in Kubiak's offense.

'06 draft looks strong, especially with DEMeco and Daniels and Spencer (sure hope he heals up) but---my 'biggest' disappointment by far is Gary's decision to trade Morency

Finally, Kubiak's communication skills are a breath of 'fresh' air from Caper's '...just execute' answer for everything........

real
10-31-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm glad everyone likes Kubiak, and I like what he's done overall...I love how he drafts especially...as well as for all the reasons stated above...

the man has faults just as everyone else.....

But overall I'm glad we got him...