PDA

View Full Version : Quote..."It wasn't my best effort"

brewhaus
10-30-2006, 06:46 AM
I missed the game yesterday and am sitting here this morning watching the news. They flashed a lead-in for the Texans highlight (or maybe "low-light") and it was David Carr...smiling that smile...saying "I want to apologize to my team, it wasn"t my best effort".

Gee David, I feel really bad for you. Thanks for trying........

Quoting Richard Justice:
"Quarterbacks can't be evaluated solely by the strength of their arms. They can't be evaluated by their footwork or intelligence or toughness, either. Quarterbacks must always be measured by some things that can't be measured. Like their leadership skills. And their will to win."

The will Justice is talking about ain't there. :brickwall

TEXANRED
10-30-2006, 08:32 AM
Quoting Richard Justice:
"Quarterbacks can't be evaluated solely by the strength of their arms. They can't be evaluated by their footwork or intelligence or toughness, either. Quarterbacks must always be measured by some things that can't be measured. Like their leadership skills. And their will to win."

The will Justice is talking about ain't there. :brickwall

I said it in another post, when you start quoting Dick Justice you instantly lose any argument.

Crap, if baseball season over?

nunusguy
10-30-2006, 08:36 AM
I dunno, but I think that's what they call an understatement.

Kaiser Toro
10-30-2006, 08:39 AM
To Carr's credit and to the former regimes discredit Carr should have sat on the sidelines years ago. I do not have a problem with Carr starting next week to see how he and the offense reacts.

I very much like the way Carr handled the benching via his quotes

“It means a lot to me,” Carr said. “Obviously, I had a chance to think about a lot of things on the sideline today. I realized that he’s tough on me, for a reason, though. Obviously, I’m not dead. I’m not in a casket. So it’s going to make me stronger as a person. Sitting on the sidelines there, you can reflect on a lot of things. It was tough for me, but I just want to apologize to my teammates and the guys that came down here—Mr. McNair and the coaching staff. It just wasn’t my best effort.”

Carr apologized to Kubiak for reacting angrily when he was initially taken out of the game. Later on in the second half, Carr could be seen helping Rosenfels on the sideline between series.

“It was a different vantage point for me,” Carr said. “It’s something I haven’t done. I haven’t watched too many times my offense on the field without me out there. I felt bad because I kind of let them down today. And that was the thing that hurt the most. I don’t feel bad for myself. I feel bad for my teammates.”

HJam72
10-30-2006, 08:48 AM
I never take anything the players say seriously, especially the good guys like Carr who never say anything wrong. I'm glad he doesn't, but I also know he just says whatever he thinks is going to sound good, because it's the smart thing to do. His public comments are meaningless to me.

SOME of what Kubiak says in public is usefull. I'm sure some of it is smoke up our rears as well. They'd be really stupid to be totally honest with the media and the fanatics.

Fan = fanatic.

My definition of fanatic: People who care way more about the affairs of another or others than they should, based on common sense, and about 70% of them being *****s who think they know more than anyone else. This might include me.

Tulip
10-30-2006, 09:04 AM
That quote is right up there with when he said that a game wasn't really a must win, but it was a "must play well."

edo783
10-30-2006, 10:01 AM
That quote is right up there with when he said that a game wasn't really a must win, but it was a "must play well."

You probably should go back and read what KT posted so that you have the context of the statement.

phan1
10-30-2006, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I hear Justice talk too. But I think that "will to win" is overblown. "VY was not going to lose this game"? Puh-lease. For some reason: Pacman's return for a TD, our turnovers, our dropps, and good play from Titans D can all be attributed to Young's "leadership" and how everyone want to win just for him. WTF guys. Tell me that when he puts together a game winning drive, but not the mediocre game he had on Sunday. People are making it sound like he's last year's Jerome Bettis and everyone wants to win just for him. I don't buy that crap. Sure, it helps when everyone goes ga-ga over your QB who won the best game in college football history, but C'mon. Oh sorry, Carr's lack of "leadership" cost us another game again. I guess no one wants to play for this guy... :rolleyes:

I'm not appologizing to Carr either. He needed to be benched. Maybe he'll wake up and play his best next week when his job's on the line. But don't feed me crap when I know it's crap. And don't write fluff stories for fluff purposes.

TexanSam
10-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I hear Justice talk too. But I think that "will to win" is overblown. "VY was not going to lose this game"? Puh-lease. For some reason: Pacman's return for a TD, our turnovers, our dropps, and good play from Titans D can all be attributed to Young's "leadership" and how everyone want to win just for him. WTF guys. Tell me that when he puts together a game winning drive, but not the mediocre game he had on Sunday. People are making it sound like he's last year's Jerome Bettis and everyone wants to win just for him. I don't buy that crap. Sure, it helps when everyone goes ga-ga over your QB who won the best game in college football history, but C'mon. Oh sorry, Carr's lack of "leadership" cost us another game again. I guess no one wants to play for this guy... :rolleyes:

I'm not appologizing to Carr either. He needed to be benched. Maybe he'll wake up and play his best next week when his job's on the line. But don't feed me crap when I know it's crap. And don't write fluff stories for fluff purposes.

I agree with you 100%. Vince Young didn't win the game for the Titans yesterday. He didn't even play as well as our 2nd string QB. The Texans killed themselves. Good for the Titans on capitalizing on other teams mistakes, but had we had one less turnover, the game could have been ours.

As far as Carr. I think him being benched will help him more than hurt him. I just have that feeling. I may be wrong, but I think Carr will be better than ever the rest of this season.

Vinny
10-30-2006, 11:58 AM
If Carr wasn't making 8 mil he wouldn't be our starter. We should play the best players or we lose the team....the players lose hope when they see agendas. It sends the message that winning isn't the important thing if you are a Texan.

Double Barrel
10-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Vince Young didn't win the game for the Titans yesterday.

He didn't lose it for his team, either. I'd like to have a QB like that starting for us yesterday. :shades:

cbnjwill
10-30-2006, 12:05 PM
well texassam the sad part is that a rookie in his 4th game outplayed our number 1 qb. vy ran and threw for a touchdown didnt turn the ball over and didnt take any stupid sacks the five yr veteran piece of crap that we throw behind center every week should take a lesson from the rookie

profan
10-30-2006, 12:06 PM
If carr continues to struggle, i would hope kubes would give sage a start somewhere down the road. Sage has looked good in preseason, looked good against the titans, and just maybe he has a better understanding of the offense than carr. Kubes is a great qb coach, and he will develop a good quaterback, maybe it's someone other than carr. The bottom line should be which quarterback gives us the best chance to win. Money should not come into play.

profan
10-30-2006, 12:09 PM
well texassam the sad part is that a rookie in his 4th game outplayed our number 1 qb. vy ran and threw for a touchdown didnt turn the ball over and didnt take any stupid sacks the five yr veteran piece of crap that we throw behind center every week should take a lesson from the rookie

That is because of the IT factor. Vince Young can be seen on the sidelines pumping up his defense, offense, etc. He's a leader for the whole team and does not stay by himself on the sidelines. His team feeds off his positive attitude. Carr does not have IT yet.

hollywood_texan
10-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Carr's problem isn't the mistakes he made against the Titans, it's that he doesn't provide 2 or 3 plays a game that separates him from an average QB. Even Carr's supposed great performances this year, he was really just a play or two away from being a chump like yesterday.

QBs are going to make mistakes, but it's the net, net of their play in a game that it makes more sense to play them because they provide overall value for the team. A great example of this is Brett Favre at his peak. Favre could throw some ugly picks, but he could overcome and show how his play in an entire game was an overall benefit to the team and put the team on his back to win the game.

David Carr is a product of Kubiak's system and a majority of the average QBs in the league could put up the same stats or better. Great example, the backup QB Sage Rosenfels against the Titans in the 2nd half. Most people (meaning pro and con Carr supporters) agree Sage is not the long-term answer to having a run at the Super Bowl, but ask yourself, how is Rosenfels that much different from Carr in what we have seen this year (with the preseason in mind too)? The two big differences are money and that Rosenfels still hasn't shown that he will make 2 or 3 plays in a game that turn him into chump on any given Sunday.

More than likely, it is over for Carr. He had the biggest opporunity of his career against the Titans to show who is and he missed it. I don't see how he can keep his job because they are playing the next 5 of 7 on the road, and the next two games are going to be killers, the Giants and the Jags. If Carr is going to save his job, it will be amazing! The Giants and Jags are going to be throwing everything at Carr, which by the way doesn't make the offensive line's job any easier.

Carr is starting because he is paid $8 million and the Texans organization doesn't want to admit that their first expansion pick and overall draft pick didn't work out.

SESupergenius
10-30-2006, 12:21 PM
I find it funny how Richard Justice was just looking for that game where Carr falls flat on his face and writes how Vince Young was God. Does anyone really think that Vince Young was impressive yesterday? He was decent, but way overhyped, much like Roethlisbuger from the Steelers. Carr had one of his worst days as a pro, although he was throwing the ball well, he himself was responsible for the turnovers and resultant 21 points. Kudos for Kubiak yanking him and sitting his but down. We now get to see how he responds.

Charter PSL Fan
10-30-2006, 12:28 PM
That is because of the IT factor. Vince Young can be seen on the sidelines pumping up his defense, offense, etc. He's a leader for the whole team and does not stay by himself on the sidelines. His team feeds off his positive attitude.
They should put him in a skirt and let him dance with the cheerleaders.

bigTEXan8
10-30-2006, 12:39 PM
my arse carr is starting because he's making 8 mill a year. the entire first half, the texans o-line is did nothing for pass protection. solid job run-blocking, but other than that...every time he dropped back, bosch or brown was in carr's grill. when sage came in, the titans never rushed more than the four d-lineman. it is my opinion the entire texans team went into the game thinkin' they already had the win in the bag.

Mr. B
10-30-2006, 12:49 PM
Well according to ESPN VY is the second coming of christ as he danced, pranced and passed his way into the endzone and a victory for the Titans as they kinda put it.

So we have Justice, ESPN, probably everyone else now that will jump on the bandwagon and relight the fires.

Funny how Reggie Bush hasn't done squat yet he is still God, but all is quite on his front right now. VY has beaten the Texans so the floodgates are open now again from his camp.

I haven't been able to listen to 610 to hear Mclain or the Evening guys but I am sure they have all got the VY man love going strong.

Sheesh.

brewhaus
10-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Does anyone think if Carr was a leader or hell, even a compeditor for that matter, that being benched would have p**sed him off beyond all belief ?
I expect to see a little different reaction to being benched then comments about how insightful it was to see things from that persepective, or what ever that load of crap was that he was spewing. :challenge

Hervoyel
10-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Does anyone think if Carr was a leader or hell, even a compeditor for that matter, that being benched would have p**sed him off beyond all belief ?
I expect to see a little different reaction to being benched then comments about how insightful it was to see things from that persepective, or what ever that load of crap was that he was spewing. :challenge

Granted, however if he gets "p**sed off beyond all belief" and makes the kind of comments that you're saying you want to hear then an entirely different group of people will come down on him like a ton of bricks for being a whiner and not demonstrating maturity. When it comes to how Carr behaves in public he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Like HJam said I don't pay any attention to what comes out of Carr's mouth. I didn't give much credence to what Warren Moon said back in the day either. The comments for public consumption are no indicator of what's really going on in there.

brewhaus
10-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Well according to ESPN VY is the second coming of christ as he danced, pranced and passed his way into the endzone and a victory for the Titans as they kinda put it.

So we have Justice, ESPN, probably everyone else now that will jump on the bandwagon and relight the fires.

Funny how Reggie Bush hasn't done squat yet he is still God, but all is quite on his front right now. VY has beaten the Texans so the floodgates are open now again from his camp.

I haven't been able to listen to 610 to hear Mclain or the Evening guys but I am sure they have all got the VY man love going strong.

Sheesh.

Mr.B,
I don't think VY or RB are the second coming of anything. I just want to see some players with heart representing our city on the field. I don't need VY on our team if Sage can get the job done (and even though I missed the game yestereday it sounds like he did a good job once he got in) and I don't want RB in our back field if Lundy can pull the load....I don't care if the Texans players have names that aren't recognized, I want their PLAY to be recognized.

real
10-30-2006, 01:01 PM
The comments for public consumption are no indicator of what's really going on in there.

Just quoting for umph!!