PDA

View Full Version : I just looked at Sage's Career stats; I am confused!

supertankman
10-29-2006, 07:15 PM
Man, this guy looked great today; just imagine if he started! The QB position is getting harder and harder to play because the defense is faster. The QB cant stand in the pocket like Warren Moon and be successfull, at least thats what I thought after watching Drew Bledsoe get pulled last week from lack of mobility.

Then again, this guy (Sage) comes in the game/ stands in the pocket and makes the position look easy and thats what great QB's do! Carr makes every game look complicated.

I really think that Sage could be the answer after seeing his performance today, why did it take him up to this point to mature into a Great prospect, it seems like no other team was willing to give him a chance?

I am also pretty damn confused right now

SBTexans08
10-29-2006, 07:17 PM
Just ask the offense who should start. Their pockets whisper in their ears.....SAGE......SAGE......SAGE.....SAGE....

Texan1
10-29-2006, 07:20 PM
I think you have to give Sage a chance to start next week. He earned it today.

Carr has been given a world of oppotunties and he needs to understand he has to show up EVERY Sunday. Blaming the pass prtotection will not work anymore for Carr (although Salamm had a horrid 1st 3 quarters).

goodnews boy
10-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Just ask the offense who should start. Their pockets whisper in their ears.....SAGE......SAGE......SAGE.....SAGE....

And you know this How?:ok:

SBTexans08
10-29-2006, 08:52 PM
And you know this How?:ok:

LMAO You actually think the offense's pockets actually talk?

Damn...I feel for ya bruh!

MissouriTexan
10-30-2006, 07:32 AM
Couldn't watch the game, but were Sage's stats legit or was he facing 2nd and 3rd string defense?

gtexan02
10-30-2006, 07:36 AM
1) His INT was not legitimate, as it hit AJ in the hands, in the chest, in the hands again, and THEN into the defenders arm. That INT was on AJ.

2) He was not facing 2nd or 3rd string defenses.

3) I think (I'm no football coordinator) tha the was facing a lot of prevent, and bend but don't break defenses.

Are his stats legitimate? Who knows. Its impossible to tell how hard Tennesse was actually playing

supertankman
10-30-2006, 09:16 AM
The bend dont break strategy is possibly true, but again; I saw Romo have a great game last night against the panthers, I really don't think Carr can handle pressure all that well especially now that the coached pulled him from yesterdays game.

Its going to be hard for Carr to bounce back and get better especially thinking that Kubiak may pull him at any given moment. I think that Carr may start playing with the mindset "play not to make mistakes" instead of the mindset "play to have fun and win" which will lead to his failure and starting job in Houston. Also, during interviews, he looked really nervous? If he does bounce back, it may be for another team (Raiders?)

The NFL is known for "Not For Long" for a reason

Doug
10-30-2006, 09:17 AM
LMAO You actually think the offense's pockets actually talk?

Damn...I feel for ya bruh!

That's funny stuff right there!!!!!!!

Double Barrel
10-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Sage has looked like a pro QB, both yesterday and in the pre-season. If he can consistently do this? Who knows.

But we do know Carr is simply inconsistent. He should have been leading the way yesterday, but came out looking horrible. The rest of the team got down as a result. After the halftime, same ol' same ol'. I just don't think DC has it in him at this point to inspire the team to play above and beyond themselves, and he seems to be unable to get himself up for these games, too.

phan1
10-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Keep in mind that we got Sage from Miami, who does not have the offensive weapons we have. But also, there's a reason why Fiedler and Feely beat this guy out for the starting job. Not the kind of company you want to be beat out by...

Vinny
10-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Keep in mind that we got Sage from Miami, who does not have the offensive weapons we have.
...this makes no sense at all to me. Chris Chambers, Ronnie Brown and Randy McMichael are as good as anyone in the NFL at their respective positions.

bah007
10-30-2006, 10:53 AM
...this makes no sense at all to me. Chris Chambers, Ronnie Brown and Randy McMichael are as good as anyone in the NFL at their respective positions.

Yeah they sure are proving it.

Vinny
10-30-2006, 10:55 AM
just because you can type doesn't mean you know what you are talking about....just sayin'. I know it works both ways...but if you ask around the league and you ask anyone who has better skill guys, Miami or Houston....nobody would take the Texans other than Texans fans.

kingh99
10-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Couldn't watch the game, but were Sage's stats legit or was he facing 2nd and 3rd string defense?

You forgot the sarcasm tag.

bah007
10-30-2006, 11:00 AM
just because you can type doesn't mean you know what you are talking about....just sayin'. I know it works both ways...but if you ask around the league and you ask anyone who has better skill guys, Miami or Houston....nobody would take the Texans other than Texans fans.

Just because you can type doesnt mean you know what you are talking about....just sayin'. It works both ways.

If you would take Chris Chambers over Andre Johnson then I feel sorry for you. Go play some more fantasty football.

Granted. Ronnie Brown & Randy McMichael would be starters on our team. Im not going to debate that cuz I believe you are right.

Excuse me for defending my team. I dont know what got in to me. I apologize.

Vinny
10-30-2006, 11:04 AM
I don't get into stats like fantasy football guys...although I do play...and play well if I do say so myself...

Defend the team all you want...homers are everywhere. I'm just a bigger fan of the league and have a broader view...you may want to check Chambers history...he has been a prolific wr for quite a while now. Last year he was in the Pro Bowl and caught 82 passes for 1118 yards at 13.6 per catch, but since this is a Texans board....HE SUX! LOL'erz!!1111!

supertankman
10-30-2006, 11:49 AM
What happened to Sage in Miami and does this guy have a strong arm or does it even matter? IMO, Sage is a better backup QB then Joey Harrington?

Also, is it possible that Sage just bloomed into a better qb by watching from the sidelines? No disrespect to Carr, but in a interview conducted by Bob Allen with Sage; IMO, I think Sage seems like a smarter guy in terms of knowing the game of football at a pro level then Carr. And yes, I have seen Carr interviews before, Sage also seems more mature?

Would you pick a smart QB with less talent or a raw QB with more talent ( in terms of say a strong arm) When you look at all the QB's in the league, the tops QB's seem to be the smart ones; Brady and Manning for example, they are not known for having a super Arm? Correct me if I am wrong, Tim Couch was known for a strong arm, but where does that get you if you can read defenses?

TEXANS84
10-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Here's a little background from a Dolphin fan about Rosenfels, "the starter vs the reliever":

I like Rosenfels but he's a completely different QB when he starts than when he comes in at some point during the game. Remember the game last year where Chambers had 200 receiving yards against the Bills? Rosenfels was the QB for that one. He had come in after Frerotte got hurt. Played a great game. Now, remember the game where the Dolphins got blanked by the Browns last year? It was Rosenfels that started that game and he was absolutely horrible. He was something like 5/10 for 4 yards and an interception before he got pulled for an injured Frerotte.

Now with all that said I thought we should have given him more of a chance but just keep in mind that Rosenfels the starter does not play like Rosenfels the reliever.

http://www.pigskinheaven.com/forums/showpost.php?p=345246&postcount=10

Twitch
10-30-2006, 04:51 PM
That is an interesting little tidbit.

As a backup he also lead the Dolphins largest comeback for a backup.
Down 23-3 (I believe in the fourth) the Dolphins ended up winning 24-23.

kingh99
10-30-2006, 04:54 PM
What happened to Sage in Miami and does this guy have a strong arm or does it even matter? IMO, Sage is a better backup QB then Joey Harrington?

Also, is it possible that Sage just bloomed into a better qb by watching from the sidelines? No disrespect to Carr, but in a interview conducted by Bob Allen with Sage; IMO, I think Sage seems like a smarter guy in terms of knowing the game of football at a pro level then Carr. And yes, I have seen Carr interviews before, Sage also seems more mature?

Would you pick a smart QB with less talent or a raw QB with more talent ( in terms of say a strong arm) When you look at all the QB's in the league, the tops QB's seem to be the smart ones; Brady and Manning for example, they are not known for having a super Arm? Correct me if I am wrong, Tim Couch was known for a strong arm, but where does that get you if you can read defenses?

I saw that interview. Sage is sage. He's got it. Smooth cat.

run-david-run
10-30-2006, 05:13 PM
It is possible that he hadles coming off the bench better then starting, of course he picked the absoulte worst position to do that in as quarterbacks arnt subbed in and out like almost every other position. He is more relaxed, not so worried about gameplan since there probably isnt one for being down 21-3 with the back-up Qb and the defense dosnt know what to expect. Anyway, Carr is the starter next weekend, lets just hope he recovers and plays like he has done for most of the season and puts all this QB controversy to rest.

Doody
10-30-2006, 05:55 PM
I've avoided entering into the carr vs. rosenfels controversy, but i think im ready to pick a side. Ive been waiting for carr to come into his own and get a chance to throw with protection, but ( decent offensive line or not) i've yet to see carr look comfortable out there...maybe i'm the one that has just never felt comfortable with him out on the field, but even in the games where he has put up great numbers, i just never feel safe with him in there. Sage, since ive seen him in preseason up to his playing time on sunday has looked so comfortable and natural out there. I think its time to give him a start. I just cant in my wildest imagination see carr taking us to the playoffs, and ill admit "sage Rosenfels" doesnt have the ring of a hall of fame quarterback to me, but he seems to be able to go in there and get the job done. when he lets go of the ball my heart doesnt skip a beat like everytime carr does, i ususally feel like it will make it to one of our guys...3 tds in one half, let him start. the cowboys pulled bledsoe for not being able to handle the pressure...whether it was their o lines fault or not, and put in someone who looked more comforatble,. could be a winning formula

sprtsfanatic
10-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Yes, sage played great...but I'd still rather have carr at the helm vs. sage. Was it just me or did anybody else notice that sage has NO touch on the deep ball...he over threw AJ on more then one occasion long and his throws down the sidelines to recievers doesnt look great either. Perhaps its the lack of practice with the 1st string, but those are crucial throws that HAVE TO BE MADE during a course of a game...especially when your trailing and time isn't on your side. But he did have a good game with a makeshift LT. Salaam just isn't cutting it there and I couldn't believe that we left him in there as long as we did. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE was salaam at lt. but thats just my :twocents:

Double Barrel
10-30-2006, 06:40 PM
The Titans were playing the deep ball in the second half, though. That's why Sage was taking all the under routes, because that's what the defense was giving him. The Titans went into a conservative, play-not-to-lose mode, and Sage didn't get a lot of pressure on the pocket like David did, either.

We have to give credit where it's due.

FLYmeatwad
10-30-2006, 06:45 PM
I haven't really picked a side. I've been a huge Carr fan since the team first came in to the league and he does seem to be a much more versatyle QB than Sage is. However if you want to talk about touch on the deep ball Carr can't really be talked about with what he's done this season. With the exception of the deep TD to AJ against Jacksonville, this year, he's basically been doing short yardage passes. He may not be comfortable in the pocket because of all the years where he's been constantly running from defenders and anything more than a second or so standing back there just feels difficult, but he needs to learn to adjust. And in any successful team the deep ball is a factor, Carr needs to work that more in to the game.

Sage though, I'm not completely sold on. Coming in to that game yesterday he really didn't have anything to lose and only had one option of what to do. He had to throw the ball, throw it deep, and try to bring his team back primarily through the air. He made very few mistakes, and yes the INT was Andre's fault, but I'm just unsure of how he will be able to handle a starters role. If Miami is any indication it won't be all that well. Realistically we are out of the playoff chase and there are still 9 games to go. So you can start experimenting around with QBs in different situations. The Giants'll be a rough game, give DC the start on a hostile road enviornment against the NFC's second best team and see how he plays. If he plays bad let Sage take the Jacksonville game and then dot he same thing at home. If they need to go QB in the draft you at least have to hold on to one of those guys to groom the new player, so you keep the best.

Looking over the game and the stats it's completely obvious that Houston blew the game and that a large portion of the blame falls on DC. We wouldn't have been in it if Sage didn't bring us back and we would have won if Tenn didn't have the kick return TD or the fumble TD, but a loss is a loss. Gary has shown me that he is taking the team in the right direction, but it will probably still be 2 years until we make a playoff run. Carr's inconsistency is a problem, but if Gary feels he can work it out with him, then I have full confidence in him. It's still hard to beleive that only 2 seasons' ago we were one win away from a horrible Clevland team from finishing with a .500 record.

Double Barrel
10-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Good first post, FLYmeatwad! Welcome to the forums! :thumbup

And...uhh...interesting name you've got there. ;)

sprtsfanatic
10-30-2006, 06:59 PM
Yes, sage did what he had to do and took what the defense gave him, but my point is that we have all seen david throw the bomb down the field and we didnt see that with sage...but like I said perhaps its the practice time.:lightbulb:

FLYmeatwad
10-30-2006, 07:05 PM
Good first post, FLYmeatwad! Welcome to the forums! :thumbup

And...uhh...interesting name you've got there. ;)

Thanks buddy, it's good to be here. Been an out of place fan since year one, so it's great to be able to talk my favorite team with other fans. Even if some of them seem to be a little extreme. Great to have a Texans forum, wish I had seen this sooner.

And thanks, I use it as my handle for everything mainly. ATHF refrence. [as] boards are FLYmeatwad2 and the Live gamertag is FLYmeatwad. I find that it's normally ever taken, if you can beleive that :cool:

infantrycak
10-30-2006, 07:19 PM
Yes, sage played great...but I'd still rather have carr at the helm vs. sage. Was it just me or did anybody else notice that sage has NO touch on the deep ball...he over threw AJ on more then one occasion long and his throws down the sidelines to recievers doesnt look great either. Perhaps its the lack of practice with the 1st string, but those are crucial throws that HAVE TO BE MADE during a course of a game...especially when your trailing and time isn't on your side.

It wasn't just you. Sage was better at seeing the intermediate middle of the field and very poor (4 overthrown attempts) at hitting the 20+ routes.

sprtsfanatic
10-30-2006, 07:28 PM
It wasn't just you. Sage was better at seeing the intermediate middle of the field and very poor (4 overthrown attempts) at hitting the 20+ routes.

thanks for the stats infantrycak...I knew it was more than two but didnt know the exact number....would have been nice to hit those though....just wish carr had the pocket presence to allow plays like that to develop down the field...lord knows we've seen some miraculous bombs perfectly placed by him before.

tsip
10-30-2006, 07:32 PM

How does his 'dink and dunk' game compare to Carr's? JMO, but David is the best at dinkin'!