PDA

View Full Version : Mario Williams

GanadoUHCoog
10-29-2006, 04:04 PM
had a decent day....3 tackles and 1 int

he seems to be improving by the week

eriadoc
10-29-2006, 04:06 PM
On the pay where he got the sack, he also forced VY to pull down the screen pass. It was a nice play on Mario's part. He will have his ups and downs as a rookie, but I think we took the right guy (well, since we couldn't get Ferguson).

joedinkle
10-29-2006, 04:09 PM

interception? am i missing something?

GanadoUHCoog
10-29-2006, 04:14 PM
sry meant sack

FanFromCali
10-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Yeah, one of the few positives from an otherwise bad day...

I think he is going to be a good one.

run-david-run
10-29-2006, 05:28 PM
the play he got his sack on was great. first he read the screen and jumped in front of vy, then recovered and caught up to him and brought him down. Also, we pretty much shut down their running game. umm, how did we lose?

GuerillaBlack
10-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Turnovers. They hurt us so bad. If we hadn't had any turnovers, we would have one easily. We are the better team, just today, we handed it to the Titans.

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-29-2006, 05:39 PM
He didn't have a sack. He tackled him across the line of scrimmage.

eriadoc
10-29-2006, 05:42 PM
He didn't have a sack. He tackled him across the line of scrimmage.

It's a sack according to nfl.com.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20061029_HOU@TEN

opus74
10-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Turnovers. They hurt us so bad. If we hadn't had any turnovers, we would have one easily. We are the better team, just today, we handed it to the Titans.
I think I heard that exact same thing from the jags last week.

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-29-2006, 05:45 PM
It's a sack according to nfl.com.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20061029_HOU@TEN

My seats were right on the line, I promise you it wasn't. I watched the play, he ran up from behind and tackled him, then Mario looked up to see if it was a sack and it wasn't. It was a yard over.

I'm not attacking Mario, I'm just saying I saw it.

JDizzle
10-29-2006, 05:47 PM
My seats were right on the line, I promise you it wasn't. I watched the play, he ran up from behind and tackled him, then Mario looked up to see if it was a sack and it wasn't. It was a yard over.

He lost a yard on that play. I could see that from my recliner. Tackling from behind like that usually adds a yard or two.

HoustonTexans

And I was watching on TV and he was behind the blue line... sometimes its hard to tell when ur at the game...

NFL gave him the sack, commentators gave him a sack.. it was a sack

K.D.
Mario's sack was BEHIND the los. He had a productive day and so did the D as awhole. They played a good game but the to's, penalty's (salaam's particular), special teams did us in today.

thunderkyss
10-29-2006, 05:50 PM
I liked the play when he caught TravisWho?? from behind, to deny the 3rd down conversion.

He needs to get better at batting the ball down, he had plenty of opportunities today.

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-29-2006, 05:51 PM
I liked the play when he caught TravisWho?? from behind, to deny the 3rd down conversion.

He needs to get better at batting the ball down, he had plenty of opportunities today.

I liked that part where the Titans won the game.

thunderkyss
10-29-2006, 05:51 PM
penalty's (salaam's particular), special teams did us in today.

Not trying to take up for Salaam, but that's all about the home crowd. They were making Noise the whole time our boys had the ball. Not just when they got out of the huddle like we do, but the whole time.

TexansLucky13
10-29-2006, 05:52 PM

I like the part where the Texans outplayed the Titans on offense and defense but kicked themselves in the nuts by giving the ball away 5 times.

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-29-2006, 05:54 PM
I like the part where the Texans outplayed the Titans on offense and defense but kicked themselves in the nuts by giving the ball away 5 times.

I liked the part where our defensive line was getting to Carr like his feet were cemented to the ground. I like the part where we had 2 INTs and 1 fumble for a touchdown. I like the part where Pac-Man returned a punt for a TD. I like the part where the scoreboard read "28-22" at the end of the game.

K.D.
10-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Not trying to take up for Salaam, but that's all about the home crowd. They were making Noise the whole time our boys had the ball. Not just when they got out of the huddle like we do, but the whole time.

Yeah I understand that but 4 false starts on the same person, that's just not being focused on snap count which really put us in bad situations being we were in the red zone on 2 of them I recall.

UTVinceYoung
10-29-2006, 05:58 PM
I like the part where the Titans drafted your hometown hero and his team beat the team that passed on him.

oh yeah and I love the part where we gave you guys the key to the cellar. :yikes:

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-29-2006, 06:00 PM
I like the part where the Titans drafted your hometown hero and his team beat the team that passed on him.

oh yeah and I love the part where we gave you guys the key to the cellar. :yikes:

Me too :hunter:

phan1
10-29-2006, 06:01 PM
I like the fact that we're still the better team obviuosly and will win when we play at home... Sorry, that was shameless... :)

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-29-2006, 06:09 PM
I like the fact that we're still the better team obviuosly and will win when we play at home... Sorry, that was shameless... :)

I like the fact that we won and you lost.

tex
10-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Has this thread been taken over by a bunch of 6 year olds?

Texans Pride
10-29-2006, 06:22 PM
I like that 14 out of the past 16 post have started with. "I like. . . "

UTVinceYoung
10-29-2006, 06:24 PM
I like this thread

yourfavoritetexan42
10-29-2006, 06:25 PM
I like the fact that we won and you lost.

i didnt like that part...

kfranco_utexas
10-29-2006, 07:11 PM

Hell, you better win the game if the opposing team had FIVE turnovers. I'll call it 4 since the one before halftime did not result for anything since time expired.
:twocents:

Mr teX
10-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Hell, you better win the game if the opposing team had FIVE turnovers. I'll call it 4 since the one before halftime did not result for anything since time expired.
:twocents:

Co-sign

Texan1
10-29-2006, 07:17 PM

Props to Mario - he had a good game.

joedinkle
10-29-2006, 07:37 PM

lol, i guess you guys are gonna rub it in til' December when you're silenced.

coachdent
10-29-2006, 07:39 PM
I liked the part where our defensive line was getting to Carr like his feet were cemented to the ground. I like the part where we had 2 INTs and 1 fumble for a touchdown. I like the part where Pac-Man returned a punt for a TD. I like the part where the scoreboard read "28-22" at the end of the game.

I like the part when you stayed on your own message boards and thanked your lucky stars you got another miracle in the Music City.

Some Tennessee facts for you:
(1) What does the average Nashville high schooler get on his SATs? ........Drool.

(2) What do you get when you put thirty-two Titan fans in one room? ........A full set of teeth.

(3) How do you get a Tennessee graduate off your porch?
.........Pay him for the pizza.

(4) How do you know if a Titan fan has a girlfriend? .................There is tobacco spit on both sides of his pickup.

(5) Why did the University of Tennessee choose orange as their team color? .........You can wear it to the game on Saturday, hunting on Sunday, and picking up trash along the highways the rest of the week

Mr teX
10-29-2006, 07:49 PM
yeah you guys got the better of us today, but i think that Titans/Texans are about even as far as who is better than who. VY took care of the ball no TO's even though he got away with a couple.

DenverBorn
10-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Technically he had a sack but have you EVER seen Mario apply pressure in the way that VandenBosch did today? Or how about when Robaire Smith totally whipped Weigert then ran over Lundy to get a sack on Carr? Now that's pressure. Williams was a colossal mistake and it'll take the franchise and the fans years to admit it. He's not a force to be reckoned with and can usually be handled one-on-one.

Wolf
10-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Technically he had a sack but have you EVER seen Mario apply pressure in the way that VandenBosch did today? Or how about when Robaire Smith totally whipped Weigert then ran over Lundy to get a sack on Carr? Now that's pressure. Williams was a colossal mistake and it'll take the franchise and the fans years to admit it. He's not a force to be reckoned with and can usually be handled one-on-one.

anything positive you can add on any of your posts?

I just don't get it.. people find any excuse to discredit Mario and his sacks.. how many times has anyone else got a cheap sack? Mario didn't invent it.. however today his sack wasn't legit? again?

DenverBorn
10-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Actually on the "first impressions" thread i did note some positives. And frankly the rushing game was awesome today. But I'm sick and tired of the Mario Williams and David Carr apologists. In the Justice article he so accurately pointed out that Casserly's biggest problem was his desire to continually defend his bad decisions. And Kubiak's worst two decisions have been to make a commitment to Carr and to draft Mario Williams. I'm encourgaed by his cutting Buchanon and his benching of Carr and Shepherd - and I want more of that. More tough decisions that make us a better team. Like starting Rosenfels next week.

Give me a team that makes good decisions and plays like they want to win and I'll give you some positives.

BTW Mario Williams isn't playing any better than guys like Maddox or Kalu, who cost us a lot less $$. He's an average DE, at best. And sure he had a "sack" today but was he EVER a disruptive force in the game? In any game?

Kaiser Toro
10-29-2006, 08:16 PM

Yes I have. Mario continues to improve. Someone get out the caution tape, because there ain't nothing to see here if you are looking for finger pointing at Mario.

But then again I have never seen a QB, such as Carr, take the pressure so bad. Soft is the operable word and has been.

Wolf
10-29-2006, 08:17 PM
I can agree with that.

but what do you expect out of mario?

Carr has overall played top 10 in nfl.. but team is still losing..yes QB gets credit for wins and loses but this team has many holes that one man can't fix

about Carr I said OVERALL... today he stunk

TEXANRED
10-29-2006, 08:18 PM

B/C I can count and know what numbers represent, my interpretation of our 2-5 record, and your 2-5 record, would indicate that both teams have the same amount of wins and losses.

So how did we get the key to the cellar? Your still going to need yours it to get in your home tomorrow.

Texan1
10-29-2006, 08:18 PM
BTW Mario Williams isn't playing any better than guys like Maddox or Kalu, who cost us a lot less $$. He's an average DE, at best. And sure he had a "sack" today but was he EVER a disruptive force in the game? In any game?

Hey man, I'm one of the biggest whiners on this board when it comes to the Mario draft pick. But you have to hand it to Mario - he played well today.

We've been asking for 'a sign' and we got one today on the broken screen \ VY sack play. That was all Mario. Maybe there is hope.

Mr teX
10-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Actually on the "first impressions" thread i did note some positives. And frankly the rushing game was awesome today. But I'm sick and tired of the Mario Williams and David Carr apologists. In the Justice article he so accurately pointed out that Casserly's biggest problem was his desire to continually defend his bad decisions. And Kubiak's worst two decisions have been to make a commitment to Carr and to draft Mario Williams. I'm encourgaed by his cutting Buchanon and his benching of Carr and Shepherd - and I want more of that. More tough decisions that make us a better team. Like starting Rosenfels next week.

Give me a team that makes good decisions and plays like they want to win and I'll give you some positives.

Wow, so what are you saying we should've drafted RB? Did you see his stats today? Or maybe we should have drafted VY, hey he beat us with a whole 87 yds passing & 44 yds rushing 2 tds. Come on man, anyone who can't at least acknowledge that Mario is a significant improvement to our D is just a flat out hater. Teams are already shying away from his side of the field, & when the run there they aren't getting much.

thunderkyss
10-29-2006, 08:34 PM
I can agree with that.

but what do you expect out of mario?

Carr has overall played top 10 in nfl.. but team is still losing..yes QB gets credit for wins and loses but this team has many holes that one man can't fix

about Carr I said OVERALL... today he stunk

I think Carr should start the rest of the season. But can you explain what Carr did today that he didn't do in the Indy Game, the Washington Game, and the Cowboy game??

We've played 7 games so far..... there were three where Carr didn't make a mistake, and put us in bad situations. Philly, Miami, and Jacksonville.

thunderkyss
10-29-2006, 08:39 PM

That's not completely fair. for one Vandenbosch is like a 7 year vet.... his rookie season sucked in comparison the Mario's. Then there were several plays where my QB shut down, and didn't know which way to go..... it's not like KVB was chasing Vince Young or anything.

Then there were several plays were Owen Daniels kept KVB at bay.

tbell ncsu
10-30-2006, 09:44 AM
let's see... mario has 3.5 sacks this year...

that equals will smith, gbaja-biamila, and john henderson. he has more than future h-o-f michael strahan (3), all-pro terrell suggs (3), john abraham (3), warren sapp (3; i know he's a dt), adelwale ogunleye (2.5), kris jenkins (2), simeon rice (2)...

if mario is an average defensive end (who is only 21 years old btw), then what would you call strahan, suggs, abraham, and company???

i'm not saying that mario is an all-pro this year, but how the hell can y'all ***** about him sooooo ****ing much?

Double Barrel
10-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Man, I loved that sack by Mario. It was clean, and best of all, Williams chased him down from behind. I think that's a sign of great things to come.

Win/lose - big deal. Two bottom dwelling teams don't make a bit of difference. What we have to look at is players for the future. Mario continues to improve in his rookie year, and that's the positive I'm taking from this debacle.

bah007
10-30-2006, 10:17 AM
That's not completely fair. for one Vandenbosch is like a 7 year vet.... his rookie season sucked in comparison the Mario's. Then there were several plays where my QB shut down, and didn't know which way to go..... it's not like KVB was chasing Vince Young or anything.

Then there were several plays were Owen Daniels kept KVB at bay.

Daniels blocked him better than Wiegert did. That much is for sure.

DarkNinja
10-30-2006, 10:21 AM

Hell! I agree, it wasn't a sack. Mario sucks plain and simple. Yeah I'm attacking his talent. All Mario has had were pity/mercy/handicapped sacks. He cheated and came up behind VY and pulled him down. Whatever happened to the old wrap up and tackle? He needs to stop playing power-puff football like girls.:brickwall

Kaiser Toro
10-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Hell! I agree, it wasn't a sack. Mario sucks plain and simple. Yeah I'm attacking his talent. All Mario has had were pity/mercy/handicapped sacks. He cheated and came up behind VY and pulled him down. Whatever happened to the old wrap up and tackle? He needs to stop playing power-puff football like girls.:brickwall

Quack! Quack!

kingh99
10-30-2006, 10:32 AM
Don't bag on Mario. He's a leader. You can hear him barking out stuff the entire game. Dude has my respect in the short time he's been on the team.

leachmtb
10-30-2006, 10:38 AM
I like the part when you stayed on your own message boards and thanked your lucky stars you got another miracle in the Music City.

Some Tennessee facts for you:
(1) What does the average Nashville high schooler get on his SATs? ........Drool.

(2) What do you get when you put thirty-two Titan fans in one room? ........A full set of teeth.

(3) How do you get a Tennessee graduate off your porch?
.........Pay him for the pizza.

(4) How do you know if a Titan fan has a girlfriend? .................There is tobacco spit on both sides of his pickup.

(5) Why did the University of Tennessee choose orange as their team color? .........You can wear it to the game on Saturday, hunting on Sunday, and picking up trash along the highways the rest of the week

To Nashville's credit, it is not Knoxville. I hate the Titans as much as the next Houston fan, but in terms of it being a good city with good people, it's the best. Plus, most of these guys that are on this board are probably not from Nashville anyways.

2ToneBlue
10-30-2006, 10:40 AM
I think Mario did fine yesterday he looked good. Made some plays, caused some chaos. The sack was a stat sack only, as we all know stats aren't everything. Ryans is a difference maker for you guys, he's the real threat right now. He gets all over the field. Mario won't be spectacular every game, can't expect a DE to be. J. Peppers last night only had 2 tackles and he's considered to be the best DE right now.

bah007
10-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Mario is a stud.

It is ridiculous that every time he gets a sack all I hear is how it was cheap or how he wasnt blocked on the play.

If all you wanna do is bash Mario then stop watching the Texans. Go on. Leave. We dont want you here. This is supposed to be a place for fans of the Texans.

If you cant support a guy as likeable as Mario then you should just move to New Orleans or Tennessee & love on the media darlings.

Mr teX
10-30-2006, 11:08 AM

It was a sack, VY was still behind the line, you guys just .................. Wow.

TexanSam
10-30-2006, 11:12 AM
let's see... mario has 3.5 sacks this year...

that equals will smith, gbaja-biamila, and john henderson. he has more than future h-o-f michael strahan (3), all-pro terrell suggs (3), john abraham (3), warren sapp (3; i know he's a dt), adelwale ogunleye (2.5), kris jenkins (2), simeon rice (2)...

if mario is an average defensive end (who is only 21 years old btw), then what would you call strahan, suggs, abraham, and company???

i'm not saying that mario is an all-pro this year, but how the hell can y'all ***** about him sooooo ****ing much?

I don't really take much consideration when he's compared, stat-wise, with players like them. Yes he has more sacks than those players, but those players are also proven defensive linemen. Mario Williams is not. I'm not basing Mario, in fact I'm happy with his progress, but he's not on the same level as those guys, even though he has more sacks.

thunderkyss
10-30-2006, 11:16 AM
I think Mario did fine yesterday he looked good. Made some plays, caused some chaos. The sack was a stat sack only, as we all know stats aren't everything. Ryans is a difference maker for you guys, he's the real threat right now. He gets all over the field. Mario won't be spectacular every game, can't expect a DE to be. J. Peppers last night only had 2 tackles and he's considered to be the best DE right now.

Explain what you mean by stat sack...

Vince wanted to throw to his dump off. Mario Williams jumped in his path, and took it away. Vince then decides to tuck it and run, Mario gets him before he gets to the LOS......

that's a little more than a stat sack. That's a sack & a pass defended & a tackle for a loss.

eric138
10-30-2006, 11:21 AM

I like the fact that our 1st and 2nd string QB's had better days than your draft mistake.

eric138
10-30-2006, 11:23 AM
I loved the fact that our No 1 draft pick owned your No 1 draft pick.

2ToneBlue
10-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Explain what you mean by stat sack...

Vince wanted to throw to his dump off. Mario Williams jumped in his path, and took it away. Vince then decides to tuck it and run, Mario gets him before he gets to the LOS......

that's a little more than a stat sack. That's a sack & a pass defended & a tackle for a loss.
Actually he has pumped like that and ran more than a few times this year, and he did it again. Only reason he got caught up from behind is because Vince was going to take a bigger shot from in front if he had continued to try to make the one yard to LOS. In any case sack for 1yd loss is just as bad as an incomplete pass, you can have your moral victory.

2ToneBlue
10-30-2006, 11:40 AM
I loved the fact that our No 1 draft pick owned your No 1 draft pick.
I'm not coming here for a flame war, but I remember Vince getting two TD's, one passing for 20 yds and one running for 20 yds.

bah007
10-30-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm not coming here for a flame war, but I remember Vince getting two TD's, one passing for 20 yds and one running for 20 yds.

If Mario's one yd sack doesnt count then neither does VY's TD pass to an uncovered WR.

thunderkyss
10-30-2006, 11:45 AM
In any case sack for 1yd loss is just as bad as an incomplete pass, you can have your moral victory.

yeah that much is true..... sacks do not equal TDs..... but that's not what you implied. You implied that was a gimmie sack, and Mario played like a #1 overall on that play.

2ToneBlue
10-30-2006, 11:46 AM
If Mario's one yd sack doesnt count then neither does VY's TD pass to an uncovered WR.
Ok fair enough, Vince's TD doesn't cout because it didn't change the outcome of the game... :ohsnap:

2ToneBlue
10-30-2006, 11:48 AM
yeah that much is true..... sacks do not equal TDs..... but that's not what you implied. You implied that was a gimmie sack, and Mario played like a #1 overall on that play.
My first sentence I started with was "Mario played well". Ryans played good too I was here to show good sportsmanship by saying good game not trying to kick ya while you're down.