PDA

View Full Version : The Beginning of the End...

the wonger need food
10-29-2006, 04:59 PM
As well as Carr has played at times this season, I'm afraid this is the beginning of the end of his days as a Houston Texan. He completely choked away the game today and will never be looked at the same way. Rosenfels is clearly a better QB for this system. He is light years ahead of Carr in the way he reads defenses and his poise in the pocket.

This was the most important game in franchise history and Carr proved today that he is not up to the task.

BTW... Zach Weigert should be cut tomorrow.

alphajoker
10-29-2006, 05:20 PM

Agree!

Wharton
10-29-2006, 05:22 PM
BTW... Zach Weigert should be cut tomorrow.As long as were on linemen, Salaam should too.

gjmac2
10-29-2006, 05:25 PM
Agree!

Wiegart is still here because we have no one better at this point. He will not be here next year.

Changes are coming friends, it just takes time. The guys who cannot play will be replaced.

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
10-29-2006, 05:33 PM
As well as Carr has played at times this season, I'm afraid this is the beginning of the end of his days as a Houston Texan. He completely choked away the game today and will never be looked at the same way. Rosenfels is clearly a better QB for this system. He is light years ahead of Carr in the way he reads defenses and his poise in the pocket.

This was the most important game in franchise history and Carr proved today that he is not up to the task.

Why was this the most import game of franchise history? VY? Titans? two in a row? The biggest game this team has had was the game against Cleveland at the end of the 04 season that mde them losers for the season and began their spiral downward. Carr is what he is, an average quarterback just like 90% of this league. Brady, Manning, Mcnabb who else is really a great consistant QB. Up until the year Roethlisberger seemed as if he could keep his mistakes at a minimum so Pittsburg could win. We will find out soon enough what kind of character Carr has, I love the fact he was benched, we will no sooner rather than later if he can come back from the adversity. If not we are in troble because Sage is a mirage, just ask thouse in Miami who once thought he could be their guy as a starter. The backup QB is the most popular guy in the world, just ask Leinart, Cutler, Romo, and Sage, be carful what you wish for cause you just might get it!

The Dream
10-29-2006, 05:38 PM
be carful what you wish for cause you just might get it!

I'm sorry, but he can't be any worst than Carr...I'm willing to take that risk.

afcman
10-29-2006, 05:45 PM
.I'm willing to take that risk.

Me too. If it works....then go with it.

NEROtheZERO
10-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Possibly. I am willing to give Carr the entire season. If he can not put up a semblence of reliability this season I would look to trade or cut him. What are the implications on the salary cap if we cut him? What would he bring in a trade?

I still have faith he can be our guy but his fumbleitis is disheartening and I don't know if it is fixable.

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
10-29-2006, 06:00 PM
I dont think its going to matter because Kubiak is going to stick with Carr and I think he will make Carr into a servicable QB. However if Carr does flame out it will be different for Sage once he is the starter. One small advantage to being the backup is the lack of film and time spent game planning for your style of play. Once a team focuses on your tendencies, ability to move and what passes you can make the game begins to spped up again. Just like in todays game the Titans knew the bootleg was coming and did a great job covering it. I think they were a bit surprised when Sage came in and threw more from the pocket.

austintexanite
10-29-2006, 07:10 PM
Why was this the most import game of franchise history? VY? Titans? two in a row? The biggest game this team has had was the game against Cleveland at the end of the 04 season that mde them losers for the season and began their spiral downward. Carr is what he is, an average quarterback just like 90% of this league. Brady, Manning, Mcnabb who else is really a great consistant QB. Up until the year Roethlisberger seemed as if he could keep his mistakes at a minimum so Pittsburg could win. We will find out soon enough what kind of character Carr has, I love the fact he was benched, we will no sooner rather than later if he can come back from the adversity. If not we are in troble because Sage is a mirage, just ask thouse in Miami who once thought he could be their guy as a starter. The backup QB is the most popular guy in the world, just ask Leinart, Cutler, Romo, and Sage, be carful what you wish for cause you just might get it!

Agree with the end of the last statement, Carr should start

Tulip
10-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Sage is definitely more poised. I noticed that in the pre-season.

SBTexans08
10-29-2006, 07:44 PM
Our QB of the future has landed right in our lap....let's use him. SAGE!!

jteg25
10-29-2006, 07:50 PM

agreed!!
Sage=Cody Carlson remember that guy..handed the team when moon left and what happened then. there are reasons for sayings like the grass isnt always greener..be careful what you wish for...this situation with sage is one of those reasons..i much rather prefer a first round rookie qb next year than super-sage at the helm...but thats just me

SBTexans08
10-29-2006, 07:54 PM
I want to win. I don't care if it's the Cardinals or the Bears or Colts. Top tier teams shouldn't come into play. They are NFL teams....the Texans are an NFL team. I've seen teams that are low tier teams give those top tier teams hell....I'd like to see the same from our team. With Carr at the helm...that won't be possible. We've seen enough of this.

Sage on the other hand...looks like a QB, performs like a QB...giving us the best chance to win games. That's what we need....that's who needs to start and be our QB, spearheading our offense to give all NFL teams hell!!

Nighthawk
10-29-2006, 08:27 PM
Kubiak has already named Carr the starter next week. I hope he left himself some wiggle room.

Rosenfels has more poise than Carr, sees the field better, moves the ball around better, has more escapability in the pocket, plays bigger and tougher, has more touch on the ball, and seems to have support of the other players. Also, just watching it on TV, he looks as if he has that elusive leadership thing, whereas Carr always looks like a pampered kid that somebody has given the QB job and the players are stuck with it.

Rosenfels is clearly the best QB on this team today, by a mile.

Can he keep it up? Who knows? If Kubiak has any sense at all, he'll wiggle out of whatever dumb remark he made today trying to avoid the dreaded "quarterback controversy," and he'll start Rosenfels next week. Just to see what happens. Carr needs to sit for a couple weeks, minimum.

This is a big test of what kind of person Kubiak is. He did the right thing replacing Carr today, and you could argue--because of the record, not the QB stats--that he should have tried it sooner.

But now that he's done it and Rosenfels outplayed Carr in a real game, with real winning at stake, he should start Rosenfels next week. It's a win/win situation.

If Rosenfels stinks up the park Kubes can bring back Carr, and Carr is the conquering hero. If Rosenfels plays as well as he did this week, then Kubes has got himself a real starting QB.

Brilliant!

SBTexans08
10-29-2006, 08:31 PM
When Sage is in the huddle...he's got more of that eye of the tiger factor. He looks determined. He's got that look on his eye that he's convinced what they perform on the field will work. He looks like a captain!

All this is something Carr lacks, big time!

Wolf
10-29-2006, 08:31 PM
wow against the titans.. sage lit it up against a good defense.

titans have a better defense than philly/indy/jags/cowboys

unbelieveably how sage is the savior after one half..Carr played horrible but geeze

Wolf
10-29-2006, 08:32 PM
When Sage is in the huddle...he's got more of that eye of the tiger factor. He looks determined. He's got that look on his eye that he's convinced what they perform on the field will work. He looks like a captain!

you were in the huddle?

Tulip
10-29-2006, 08:34 PM
The Titans' D is rapidly improving. They held Indy scoreless most of their game three weeks ago. And Sage still performed better against the Titans' D than David did.

SBTexans08
10-29-2006, 08:34 PM
you were in the huddle?

Damn...what the hell is wrong with you and were you on the sidelines and were you in the huddle crap? OOOOEEEE!!

Look here....the game was televised. At times...you get a view in-between the linemen in the huddle and you can see the QB's face as it's focused on him. Give me a friggin break!

SBTexans08
10-29-2006, 08:35 PM
The Titans' D is rapidly improving. They held Indy scoreless most of their game three weeks ago. And Sage still performed better against the Titans' D than David did.

Better than Manning did, better than Brunnell did.

Enough of the Carr excuses!

Double Barrel
10-29-2006, 08:35 PM
The contrast in poise between our two QBs today was stark. Sage looked as good in the 2nd half as he did in pre-season. This is the first time in Carr's career that he's had competition, so it'll be interesting to see how he responds.

Texan1
10-29-2006, 08:37 PM
As long as were on linemen, Salaam should too.

Thank you!!

Salaam was so bad I was embarrassed for him. He barley touched his man on the last Carr sack \ fumble. And the false starts. etc. He was horrific.

Someone (a coach) should have noticed and yanked his sorry b#tt. Replace him with Winston and hope for the best from the rookie. That was inexcusable.

HJam72
10-29-2006, 08:55 PM
We can't afford to cut Salaam because Spencer is out for the season and Wand was cut, which was a mistake for this year.

No comment on benching him though. I couldn't see the game today.

edo783
10-29-2006, 08:59 PM

Gee, ya must be part of the team to see all that. Otherwise those are some mighty powerfull eyeballs ya got when looking at a TV. Must be a different camera angle you have on your TV station than the one Direct TV used. Bit hard to see the guys eyes on that one.

Kaiser Toro
10-29-2006, 09:00 PM
We can't afford to cut Salaam because Spencer is out for the season and Wand was cut, which was a mistake for this year.

No comment on benching him though. I couldn't see the game today.

Salaam was as bad as it gets. However, when Sage was in, Salaam and the whole O Line were better. It was beautiful in the 2nd half.

SBTexans08
10-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Gee, ya must be part of the team to see all that. Otherwise those are some mighty powerfull eyeballs ya got when looking at a TV. Must be a different camera angle you have on your TV station than the one Direct TV used. Bit hard to see the guys eyes on that one.

So you're telling me you've never seen the camera zoomed inside the huddle, focued on the QBs face when they're standing in the huddle?

Bongo59
10-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Salaam was as bad as it gets. However, when Sage was in, Salaam and the whole O Line were better. It was beautiful in the 2nd half.
ask why................cause it is germaine...............Carr faced a D playing man and Sage was down 28-10 facing a zone giving him things in small pieces.................GARBAGE TIME. THe OL lost this game not Carr. Now the other issue is does Carr have it...............I never thought he did but it is hard to evaluate him with that OL.............since 2002 the Texans have done nothing to fix it.

Kaiser Toro
10-29-2006, 09:11 PM
ask why................cause it is germaine...............Carr faced a D playing man and Sage was down 28-10 facing a zone giving him things in small pieces.................GARBAGE TIME. THe OL lost this game not Carr. Now the other issue is does Carr have it...............I never thought he did but it is hard to evaluate him with that OL.............since 2002 the Texans have done nothing to fix it.

It is not germane. Regardless if you have a zone or man there was pressure on the QB and Sage did not buckle, Carr did and does. Skin it and spin it anyway you like, but if you would have asked a Pop Warner team from Maine or North Dakota which QB was Carr they all would have said #18. The eyes only decieve the faithful for Carr, not the Texans faithful.

Koolbrz
10-29-2006, 10:36 PM

I look at this as a wake up call for Carr. Kinda like the one Kubes gave S. Young back in the day with the 49'ers. Carr has had a way better yr. than what most of you thought he would be having. Ok, he had a bad game with some bad decisions and some turnovers. One bad game does not make him a bad QB. Yes, Rosenfels looked great out there, so what. All that is gonna do, is motivate Carr to not make the same mistakes he made today. Which means his quality of play will improve. If he really cares about his job that is. I do feel that he will bounce back from this horrible performance. He is our guy so lets support him and stop dogging him for every lil mistake he makes. I dont see any Eagles fans dogging McNabb for the 3 game losing streak they are on or Steeler fans wanting Big Bens head on a platter. IMHO he has improved since last yr and he will only get better with more time in the system. We just need to be patient. Its not like we were going to the Super Bowl this yr...know what i mean.

South Texan
10-29-2006, 11:08 PM
190 yards gained by the RBs, over 100 by the TEs... Carr got thinking about that so much it blew his mind.

Seriously though, Carr definately had an off day. So did some on the O-Line. Carr got his wakeup call today, let's hope it's a positive thing. Kubiak has already commented he expects to see Sage starting for someone next year, the question is will it be us. Next week could tell, it sure will be a character test for Carr.

Texanfan4ever
10-29-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm sorry, but he can't be any worst than Carr...I'm willing to take that risk.

You are obviously one of the VY lovers and can't seem to get past it. I am sorry for you, but he is not here. Get over it.

SBTexans08
10-29-2006, 11:24 PM
You are obviously one of the VY lovers and can't seem to get past it. I am sorry for you, but he is not here. Get over it.

I couldn't care less for having VY here. In fact....I'm glad we didn't draft him. A QB like him are those I wouldn't want on any team I root for. Is it that far-fetched that we are very much disgusted with Carr's play and very impressed with what Sage did today and how he did it?

edo783
10-29-2006, 11:45 PM
So you're telling me you've never seen the camera zoomed inside the huddle, focued on the QBs face when they're standing in the huddle?

And just EXACTLY when was that shown on TV today? Must have missed it. What point in the game was that?

David23
10-30-2006, 12:00 AM
I agree with you 100 percent. Yes carr did have a terrible game but he has played much better overall this season. We can't write him off for having one bad game, and can't completly blame him every time we loose. Sage did have a good HALF, but thats only one half of a game. Theres a reason why he has been a backup QB for his 6 year career, and he obviously hasn't produced consistent results or he would already be a NFL Starter. I really think this wakeup call will make carr realize he can't play like that again, and hopefully he can improve or we are looking at getting the no. 1 pick again next year.

South Texan
10-30-2006, 12:12 AM
And just EXACTLY when was that shown on TV today? Must have missed it. What point in the game was that?

At one point shortly after Sage came in they did do a closeup of him talking in the huddle.

run-david-run
10-30-2006, 12:19 AM
wow, he gets blindsided twice and fumbles and he goes from hero to villan? this board over the last two weeks has had more changes in mood then a pregnant bi-polar woman. Give Kubiak time to get the players he needs and for the players we currently have to get fully into the system. We had 5 turnovers and countless mistakes, yet we only lost by 6. The defense has only given up 3 TD's in two games, the last of which was on a short field after the pick. The running game has shown signs of life for two straight weeks. Give the players and coaches time to develop some consitency and amass the talent required.

edo783
10-30-2006, 12:22 AM
At one point shortly after Sage came in they did do a closeup of him talking in the huddle.

I supose, but could you read his eyes and the reactions of the ones in the huddle? Much better eyes than I have I guess. I get a little ..... surprised about what some people think they see some even talk about what is said in the huddle. Good ears I guess or they read lips well. Kind of like the ones who said that Carr didn't celebrate when Sage threw the TD, but strangly enough, the announcers on Sirrius raideo said he was the first to go congratulate Sage. Just seems strange how some folks seem so tuned in from so far away.

Nighthawk
10-30-2006, 12:50 AM
I look at this as a wake up call for Carr. Kinda like the one Kubes gave S. Young back in the day with the 49'ers. Carr has had a way better yr. than what most of you thought he would be having. Ok, he had a bad game with some bad decisions and some turnovers. One bad game does not make him a bad QB. Yes, Rosenfels looked great out there, so what. All that is gonna do, is motivate Carr to not make the same mistakes he made today. Which means his quality of play will improve. If he really cares about his job that is. I do feel that he will bounce back from this horrible performance. He is our guy so lets support him and stop dogging him for every lil mistake he makes. I dont see any Eagles fans dogging McNabb for the 3 game losing streak they are on or Steeler fans wanting Big Bens head on a platter. IMHO he has improved since last yr and he will only get better with more time in the system. We just need to be patient. Its not like we were going to the Super Bowl this yr...know what i mean.

Look, let's get over this. You can't say Carr's having a good year when we've got the record we've got. Period. End of discussion. Sure, maybe his personal stats look good, but go deeper and see how he's getting them, and what good they're doing the team. If Carr was having a great year we'd be winning games.

Carr is 4 1/2 years a starter and still making foolish rookie mistakes. Even if he had no coach at all you figure he'd have been a lot better than this after 4 1/2 years.

We need to be patient? Please.

Keldar
10-30-2006, 01:31 AM

AGREED!!!

Toro
10-30-2006, 03:28 AM
It's alright, because next season when the Texans sign Max Starks, neither Weigert nor Salaam will be anywhere near starters on this squad.

Malloy
10-30-2006, 06:17 AM
All that is gonna do, is motivate Carr to not make the same mistakes he made today. Which means his quality of play will improve. If he really cares about his job that is.

So the problem is motivational?, after 4 years, it's motivational? I'll fire his unmotivated ass right now then!!

kingh99
10-30-2006, 08:28 AM
agreed!!
Sage=Cody Carlson remember that guy..handed the team when moon left and what happened then. there are reasons for sayings like the grass isnt always greener..be careful what you wish for...this situation with sage is one of those reasons..i much rather prefer a first round rookie qb next year than super-sage at the helm...but thats just me

I can't believe people are still defending this dreck. Rosenfelds could not have provided a more profound contrast to what Carr provides. Carr is a little guy in the pocket. The way he launched the ball, looks over field, everything about his game is little. He's the Jim Zorn of our time. Actually Jim Zorn was better but very similar. Cough the ball up everytime he's touched. And Zorn could sometimes see downfield. The other teams toy with robot boy Carr. They send a couple of guys to the line during the snap count to get him to sputter out an audible. He keeps throwing the 15 and out route to Andre until they park on the play and pick him off. I am ready to watch anyone ANYONE lead except Carr. And it's not like we have anyone. That pass Rosenfelds threw to Johnson in the back of the end zone was big time. It was the 49er's throw against Dallas. Pretty play and the best part was that Andre was three deep in the route. David can't see that far.

Texans Horror
10-30-2006, 08:50 AM
Weigert is getting (dis)credit for the tackles, but Salaam is every bit as bad. Three false starts? Where was his head? And as in games past, Carr is crushed by two guys coming off the right and left tackles, and just because Salaam's guy is half a step away does not mean he is doing much better than Weigert, himself not exactly a measuring stick of success.

Koolbrz
10-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Look, let's get over this. You can't say Carr's having a good year when we've got the record we've got. Period. End of discussion. Sure, maybe his personal stats look good, but go deeper and see how he's getting them, and what good they're doing the team. If Carr was having a great year we'd be winning games.

Carr is 4 1/2 years a starter and still making foolish rookie mistakes. Even if he had no coach at all you figure he'd have been a lot better than this after 4 1/2 years.

We need to be patient? Please.

I am talking about his play Mr. Hawk. You can not tell me that his footwork has not improved. What about the reads he is making. His accuracy is better than what it had been and with a decent running game we could have a team that puts points on the board. Another thing, the day that Carr plays in the secondary, takes a position on the defensive line, and takes hand offs from Rosenfels...then and only then...can you blame D. Carr and only Carr for our losing record. Last time i checked this is a team game, which means you need a team effort in order to win. You win and lose as a team is my understanding of the game, but then again in your eyes DC is responsible for the overall, poor play of the team. The defending SB Champs have the same record we have and Carr has looked better than Big Ben this yr. I dont see them wanting to get rid of him. Okay now, let me hear your excuses as to why BR is better than DC this yr. :tease:

Erratic Assassin
10-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Rosenfels is clearly a better QB for this system. He is light years ahead of Carr in the way he reads defenses and his poise in the pocket.

What are you basing that on? Half of one football game?

The backup QB is always the most popular player on the team. Giff Nielson was great as a backup QB when he only had to play one quarter. How did he do as a starter? Not as well. There's a reason that Rosenfels has been a career backup. Trust me. Believe me now or believe me later.

Kaiser Toro
10-30-2006, 09:52 PM
Believe me now or believe me later.

I choose later, but never now.

cowboy62
10-30-2006, 10:06 PM
JOKE OF THE NFL .........TEXANS!!!!!!:redtowel:

afcman
10-31-2006, 02:35 AM
I don't claim to be a smart person. All I DO know is that when Sage played the team did better. It may be just "one of those things". But they did play better. I'm not saying Sage is the one to turn things around either. Who knows?

I think the coach is giving Carr another chance to step up. But we know now that Carr will be benched if he doesn't get the job done. And I like that. It's exactly what the team needs. You either do your job or someone else will play.

This is a very positive sign of things to come. :redtowel:

NFLforher
10-31-2006, 10:19 AM
Damn...what the hell is wrong with you and were you on the sidelines and were you in the huddle crap? OOOOEEEE!!

Look here....the game was televised. At times...you get a view in-between the linemen in the huddle and you can see the QB's face as it's focused on him. Give me a friggin break!

Lol....you can see the players eyes in the huddle? :yikes:

rafterticket
10-31-2006, 01:14 PM
Lol....you can see the players eyes in the huddle? :yikes:

Hey - how is that working on the cheerleaders shots? That deserves one of these - :yikes:.

QB75
10-31-2006, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE=jteg25;483489]agreed!!
Sage=Cody Carlson remember that guy

No, Sage doesn't equal Cody Carlson. Not a great comparison.

whiskeyrbl
10-31-2006, 01:39 PM

I have always had a hard time accepting what Bongo says, however this time he is right. The defense was playing a totally different scheme when Rosenfels came in. He is a servicable backup and that is all. The one INT that DC threw into coverage was his fault, the other was AJ's. The 2 fumbles were the Oline. Both times DC was moving his arm in a backward motion to throw when he was hit. My guess is it would be pretty hard to hang on to the ball when that happens. 3 turnovers in Titan territory lost this game, it was a team effort not just DC's.

kiwitexansfan
10-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Why are people in such a rush to crown Sage as the second coming??

Lets just remember who he was backing up in Miami, the incredible talents of Gus Frerotte. If you can't beat out Gus, why do people think that he is so great.

Don't tell me he didn't get opportunities, he got enough game time last year to convince that organisation that he wasn't the answer. They even decided that Culpepper and Harrington were better options.

So lets slow down on the dump Carr, start Sage campaign.

HOU-TEX
10-31-2006, 02:46 PM

Lets just remember who he was backing up in Miami, the incredible talents of Gus Frerotte. If you can't beat out Gus, why do people think that he is so great.

Don't tell me he didn't get opportunities, he got enough game time last year to convince that organisation that he wasn't the answer. They even decided that Culpepper and Harrington were better options.

As it has been said in the past. When a team is losing, the backup QB is a fan favorite (for some, not me). Look at some other teams around the league. Washington, J-ville, Tampa, Dallas, etc. They're some that are going through similiar situations and thier fans are saying the same thing. Sometimes thier backup is better (see Tampa, Dallas, J-ville) and sometimes they're not.....actually all the backups that are now starting are doing better...so in that case nevermind. LOL!

Double Barrel
10-31-2006, 02:51 PM

Let's just remember that Sage never had Kubiak as a coach. If he can work with Carr, then he can work with Rosenfels. And Sage is a Kubiak hire.

I'm not on a 'dump DC campaign', though. I think he needs to start against the Giants. Give the guy a shot to redeem himself, or at least show what he's made of after being benched.

But it is good to know that we have an adequate backup in the wings that has no problem stepping in when needed and performing.