PDA

View Full Version : Tony Romo to start

Errant Hothy
10-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Bill Parcells just said that Romo will start this Sunday in Carolina.

hobie
10-25-2006, 12:58 PM
And we should care because.....................

Mr. White
10-25-2006, 01:01 PM
....because it's an NFL story being discussed in the NFL forum.

hobie
10-25-2006, 01:05 PM
OK.......well let's talk about everthing that ever happens in the NFL....

Please tell me there are more important things to discuss than who takes the snap for Dallas. Wait, players on roids, hmm, REALLY? Drug useage....NO WAY..This isn't anything new....been discussed before, now its happening.

WWJD
10-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Might as well. Bledsoe self destructs in the red zone almost every game.

At least give Romo a chance and see what he's got. They've gone thru something like 10 QB's since Troy retired.

Errant Hothy
10-25-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm willing to quess that you havn't read down the forum for the names of those in thread titles.

And beside when was the last time an un-drafted QB started in the NFL? It's news worthy for that reason alone, besides the fact that the palyer the cowboys are benching is likely a Hall of Famer, on the strength of his stats.

whiskeyrbl
10-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Bledsoe to address the media in 45 minutes. Just heard it on NFL Network.

Double Barrel
10-25-2006, 02:07 PM
I'd have to laugh if he retired. Dallas only has two QBs on the roster, IIRC.

Errant Hothy
10-25-2006, 02:12 PM

Odd, they were saying on Dallas radio that Drew's agent was at the cowboy's facility's this morning.

He can't be traded after the deadline can he, like baseball?

WWJD
10-25-2006, 02:22 PM

Well if he does that he's a quitter plain and simple. I can't say I blame him for being upset, that would be natural for anybody but to quit because you get benched? And it's not as though he's being benched for a job well done or anything; he's making stupid throws, bad decisions.

Will see what he has to say.

edo783
10-25-2006, 02:36 PM
IMO, we just watched the Cowplops give up on the season. You don't start a rookie (undrafted at that) and expect to hit the playoffs. Will he/they win some games....sure, but the entire team now knows it is officially..............Next Year!

MightyTExan
10-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Parcell's should have started Romo a couple of seasons ago. He'd probably be ready to make a playoff run by now.......................

Errant Hothy
10-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Drew just came out and toed the party line.

Nothing to see here folks, just move along.

real
10-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Drew just came out and toed the party line.

Nothing to see here folks, just move along.

What did he say ?

ATX_Texan
10-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Be interesting to see what happens here because Bill is definitely doing against J.Jones who put in his endorsement for Drew just yesterday.

WWJD
10-25-2006, 03:55 PM
The Cowboys have been dropping the ball for some time over the QB position.

I don't think they gave Henson much of a chance but that is neither here nor there. Instead they have signed older guys like Vinny and Drew at a time when the league is moving towards the more mobile QB's.

They haven't developed Romo so now he's being tossed into a tough situation and it ain't preseason.

I have to admit I am surprised. I thought Bill would stick with Drew through many horrible games. I guess he's seen enough.

JDizzle
10-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Julius Peppers will have a field day on sunday, regardless of who starts.

thunderkyss
10-25-2006, 04:32 PM
The Cowboys have been dropping the ball for some time over the QB position.

I don't think they gave Henson much of a chance but that is neither here nor there. Instead they have signed older guys like Vinny and Drew at a time when the league is moving towards the more mobile QB's.

They haven't developed Romo so now he's being tossed into a tough situation and it ain't preseason.

I have to admit I am surprised. I thought Bill would stick with Drew through many horrible games. I guess he's seen enough.

I believe last year or the year before would have been good oportunity to start Romo or Henson... Looking back, with 20/20 vision. But when Quincy took the Cowboys to the Playoffs in Bill's first season, it made sense that they'd leave the QB position alone for a little while, and work on the rest of the team..... most notably the defense.

Vinny came in just to be the Veteran Bench Warmer, while Quincy did his thing. But then Quincy's drug thing happened, and Bill had no choice but to dump him. I for one, a noted QC supporter, was happy to see the Cowboys cut a player for drug use..... not something I was used to.

So Quincy left the team, Vinny was Vinny, and the Cowboys D imploded, even though Vinny had a pretty decent season. At the time, this year(2004) was not the year to start Henson or Romo, they were both green...

(2005)Bledsoe became available, They picked up Henson, & they continued to work with Romo. Bledsoe started the year out great, then the protection broke down. Dallas' Young D was vastly superior to the previous years, and they had reason to believe they could make the playoffs, deep into December. When their season was over, they had good reason to believe that 2006, they could make the playoffs.

This year, with the addition of AkinAyodele, solid draft picks in BobbyCarpenter, & PatWatkins, the D was certain to be improved. Offensively, Flozelle & Columbo were expected to be ready to go by TC, and the addition of Terrell Owens had them thinking Superbowl...(I thought it was a bit of a stretch, but if their defense was what they thought it would be, I rolled with it).

I say all that, to say in the time that Romo & Henson was on the team, there was not a good time to start either, unless you agree with giving up on your season early.

Personally, I don't agree with the change right now, if they are seriously thinking about getting to the SuperBowl this year. & giving Terrell Owens a $10 million Dollar signing bonus, and Bill having only one more year left on his contract makes me believe they were loading up for a run this year.

But trying to work in a WR like TO with a QB like Drew(who didn't trust Keyshawn last year), basically a new starting OL, and a young, young Defense, it's a tall order allready, throwing in Romo, and I think it's beyond the great Parcell's ability to get them to the big game.

You don't know what would've happened in the second half of that game. Your Defense might step up, and get you a couple of scores..... like they did the week before.

But you have to stick with your veteran if you're really thinking SB, and place the blame where it belongs, on the offensive line.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
10-25-2006, 05:32 PM
IMO, we just watched the Cowplops give up on the season. You don't start a rookie (undrafted at that) and expect to hit the playoffs. Will he/they win some games....sure, but the entire team now knows it is officially..............Next Year!

He's not a rookie, he's a fourth year player who's had a cult following among Cowboy forums for years now. The guy can play. Sure three interceptions aren't exactly newsworthy, but he was opening up that offense.. utilizing Jason Witten, Terrell Owens, something that Bledsoe had yet to do. He did this passing virtually every play playing catch-up with a revved up Giant D-line breathing down his neck.

Several first year starters do fine.. Tom Brady, Big Ben, Phillip Rivers.. the season isn't over.. watch out for Big D next Sunday night, Romo will get the ball rolling after a full week of practice with the first team, and a full week of film study.

thunderkyss
10-25-2006, 05:47 PM
I agree the offense seemed to be flowing a little better once Romo stepped into the game, better than it has all year, considering the running game wasn't an option.

But Romo's ability to play isn't what is in question here. I think every player who makes it into the NFL can play.... right now, what will be tested will be his toughness, and his ability to play while under pressure.

He already showed a few bad signs last night, like flicking the ball to Barber as he is going down.... at that time, it's too late, just take your sack.

& I understand that he looked good in the preseason, but it's a different game now that he is starting in the regular season.

bah007
10-25-2006, 10:16 PM
OK.......well let's talk about everthing that ever happens in the NFL....

Please tell me there are more important things to discuss than who takes the snap for Dallas. Wait, players on roids, hmm, REALLY? Drug useage....NO WAY..This isn't anything new....been discussed before, now its happening.

If you dont care, then dont read the thread.

Its an NFL thread, they can talk about Romo if they want to.

Lay off the Cowboy hate juice.

J-Storm
10-26-2006, 08:59 AM
I think starting Romo this weekend is the best move the Cowboys have made in the last few seasons apart from their apparent skill in drafting some players. Drew is just going through what Kurt Warner has been going through himself, the winding down of his career. Drew should be a great back-up, mentor the younger kid and take whatever cash and opportunities come his way...

phan1
10-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Boy Bledsoe is taking the news like a 2-year-old. Very Kurt Warnerish. I don't see why a QB like that can say "hey, I screwed up". He's acting like some sort of hot-shot.

mike moffat
10-26-2006, 09:31 AM
From what I saw, the 'Pokes" seemed to step it up a notch when Romo came in. It might be a good move for them. Time will tell.

WWJD
10-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I believe last year or the year before would have been good oportunity to start Romo or Henson... Looking back, with 20/20 vision. But when Quincy took the Cowboys to the Playoffs in Bill's first season, it made sense that they'd leave the QB position alone for a little while, and work on the rest of the team..... most notably the defense.

Vinny came in just to be the Veteran Bench Warmer, while Quincy did his thing. But then Quincy's drug thing happened, and Bill had no choice but to dump him. I for one, a noted QC supporter, was happy to see the Cowboys cut a player for drug use..... not something I was used to.

So Quincy left the team, Vinny was Vinny, and the Cowboys D imploded, even though Vinny had a pretty decent season. At the time, this year(2004) was not the year to start Henson or Romo, they were both green...

(2005)Bledsoe became available, They picked up Henson, & they continued to work with Romo. Bledsoe started the year out great, then the protection broke down. Dallas' Young D was vastly superior to the previous years, and they had reason to believe they could make the playoffs, deep into December. When their season was over, they had good reason to believe that 2006, they could make the playoffs.

This year, with the addition of AkinAyodele, solid draft picks in BobbyCarpenter, & PatWatkins, the D was certain to be improved. Offensively, Flozelle & Columbo were expected to be ready to go by TC, and the addition of Terrell Owens had them thinking Superbowl...(I thought it was a bit of a stretch, but if their defense was what they thought it would be, I rolled with it).

I say all that, to say in the time that Romo & Henson was on the team, there was not a good time to start either, unless you agree with giving up on your season early.

Personally, I don't agree with the change right now, if they are seriously thinking about getting to the SuperBowl this year. & giving Terrell Owens a $10 million Dollar signing bonus, and Bill having only one more year left on his contract makes me believe they were loading up for a run this year.

But trying to work in a WR like TO with a QB like Drew(who didn't trust Keyshawn last year), basically a new starting OL, and a young, young Defense, it's a tall order allready, throwing in Romo, and I think it's beyond the great Parcell's ability to get them to the big game.

You don't know what would've happened in the second half of that game. Your Defense might step up, and get you a couple of scores..... like they did the week before.

But you have to stick with your veteran if you're really thinking SB, and place the blame where it belongs, on the offensive line.

Doesn't seem to me Carpenter was a good pick at all. I don't think he's played a down this year and if he has maybe it's been at special teams.

They should have gone Oline which is the team's biggest need. By far their biggest need.

thunderkyss
10-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Boy Bledsoe is taking the news like a 2-year-old. Very Kurt Warnerish. I don't see why a QB like that can say "hey, I screwed up". He's acting like some sort of hot-shot.

I thought he took it pretty well.

The thing though, is that he doesn't see it as his fault. I'm sure now he'll agree that he shouldn't have thrown that ball, but at the time..... he was getting his butt whupped, and T.O. was dropping balls.

I'll agree right now, Romo looks like he gives them a better chance to win.

I wonder if that'll still be the case after Carolina.

kastofsna
10-26-2006, 11:16 AM
romo and gradkowski are the two next favre clones in the NFL.

Errant Hothy
10-26-2006, 12:50 PM

Carpenter has yet to play a single down off football, he is without a doubt the biggest first round bust this year. Hell there are games when he doesn't even dress out on gameday. And as for Watkins, dude's been getting burned left, right and center this year.

The Cowboys did NOT have a good draft this year.

thunderkyss
10-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Doesn't seem to me Carpenter was a good pick at all. I don't think he's played a down this year and if he has maybe it's been at special teams.

They should have gone Oline which is the team's biggest need. By far their biggest need.

Their offensive line is done, they got the players they wanted, they just haven't had time to "gel". This is Gurodes first year as a starter, Columbo's first year playing with the Cowboys, and Kosiers first year with the Cowboys, and Flo only played the first 6 games with the Cowboys last season before breaking his leg(kinda like Spencer). Then they've got a guy they were high on last year Fabini to back up both gaurds & can play RT, then Al johnson is their backup center, and they've got some other guys I can't recall to back up as well. Their OL has only been together two years.

Carpenter would be playing, if Ellis a) didn't want to play OLB, or b) wasn't any good as an OLB. But that's Carpenters spot. Nobody expected Ellis to play OLB(he didn't want to play the spot last year, but with Chris Canty taking his job, he kinda read the writing on the wall, and nobody knew he do as well as he has). The only reason Bill hasn't activated him yet, is because Ellis is playing well, and Bill likes to play mind games, he did the same thing with Burnette last year, but Bill loves Burnette, and he is high on Carpenter.

WWJD
10-26-2006, 01:46 PM
I think Gurode has been a starter before this year but perhaps not.

Wasn't he their center at one point?

I agree with the other poster. Their draft was not good this year.

Errant Hothy
10-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Their offensive line is done, they got the players they wanted, they just haven't had time to "gel". This is Gurodes first year as a starter, Columbo's first year playing with the Cowboys, and Kosiers first year with the Cowboys, and Flo only played the first 6 games with the Cowboys last season before breaking his leg(kinda like Spencer). Then they've got a guy they were high on last year Fabini to back up both gaurds & can play RT, then Al johnson is their backup center, and they've got some other guys I can't recall to back up as well. Their OL has only been together two years.

Carpenter would be playing, if Ellis a) didn't want to play OLB, or b) wasn't any good as an OLB. But that's Carpenters spot. Nobody expected Ellis to play OLB(he didn't want to play the spot last year, but with Chris Canty taking his job, he kinda read the writing on the wall, and nobody knew he do as well as he has). The only reason Bill hasn't activated him yet, is because Ellis is playing well, and Bill likes to play mind games, he did the same thing with Burnette last year, but Bill loves Burnette, and he is high on Carpenter.

I don't think so, beaces every other LB on the Cowboy roster has been activated for atleast one game, including undrafted Oliver Hoyte. Carpenter is a bust.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
10-26-2006, 03:36 PM
The fact Carpenter isn't a starter doesn't label the guy a "bust."

He's playing behind one of the best line backing corps in the league. #1 in run defense doesn't lie.. DeMarcus Ware a possible Pro-Bowler, Greg Ellis-- amazing transition from DE, Akkin Ayodelle-- FA pickup doing everything we asked, Brady James-- last year's Cowboy D MVP..

Brady James did practically nothing in his first few years in Big D, look at him now.. Give it time. I actually believe the fact he isn't playing, shows how strong our D really is. Just give him time to work on his size, learn our playbook, and hopefully he can make a run for a spot next year.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
10-26-2006, 03:43 PM

Where are you getting at? Bledsoe showed total class.. he accepted his new role for the better of the team. He talked about his goal-line interception.. I say kudos to Drew.

WWJD
10-26-2006, 04:54 PM
The fact Carpenter isn't a starter doesn't label the guy a "bust."

He's playing behind one of the best line backing corps in the league. #1 in run defense doesn't lie.. DeMarcus Ware a possible Pro-Bowler, Greg Ellis-- amazing transition from DE, Akkin Ayodelle-- FA pickup doing everything we asked, Brady James-- last year's Cowboy D MVP..

Brady James did practically nothing in his first few years in Big D, look at him now.. Give it time. I actually believe the fact he isn't playing, shows how strong our D really is. Just give him time to work on his size, learn our playbook, and hopefully he can make a run for a spot next year.

To me their O line was pretty bad last year. The fact that they drafted a LB, a position where they already had capable players and didn't go O line says they made a bad mistake. Perhaps it was "take the best player available" way of thinking, I don't know.

What I do know is Carpenter hasn't played and their O line is getting their QB's killed. Most games are multiple sack games for the opponents. The Giants had what 4? 5?

I very much question that draft pick.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
10-26-2006, 05:03 PM
To me their O line was pretty bad last year. The fact that they drafted a LB, a position where they already had capable players and didn't go O line says they made a bad mistake. Perhaps it was "take the best player available" way of thinking, I don't know.

What I do know is Carpenter hasn't played and their O line is getting their QB's killed. Most games are multiple sack games for the opponents. The Giants had what 4? 5?

I very much question that draft pick.

Well I too agree we should of gone after a stud offensive lineman as well, but was just defending Carpenter from being labled a bust.

bah007
10-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Ed Werder (one of the few ESPN guys who checks his sources before reporting, unlike Mortensen) reported that Bledsoe & his agent had a meeting with Jerry Jones & Parcells to ask for a release from the team.

GuerillaBlack
10-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Well, Carpenter hasn't done a thing. If the Cowboys had this wonderful linebacker crew, why did they draft him?

Wow, a release from the team. Amazing, but saw it coming. Bledsoe sure did show class, huh? Looks like their are some Big problems in the Small D.

Huge
10-26-2006, 05:21 PM
So because their rookies haven't produced as expected, Dallas' draft wasn't a good one?

If that's the case, the Titans must really be torn up over the production of their 1st round QB and 2nd round RB.

Or should we wait past 7 weeks into the season before judging these rooks?

Hindsight, they should've draft OL. But they were counting on Flozell to bounce back to form after his injury. They signed Kosier to a nice sized free agent contract. Rivera was coming back from an injury. Columbo had looked good enough at RT that they decided to cut last year's starter. Gurode and Johnson have always been above average at C.

So why spend a 1st round pick on an OL? I don't think Tampa has been thrilled with Davin Joseph (1st OL picked after Dallas picked). Mangold (2nd OL picked after Dallas' pick) wasn't an option because he's a C and Dallas is fine there.

Fortunately, because we've addressed just about every position except OL, that pretty much trims down our options for the next draft. OL or bust, baby.

Oh, and I'm pleased to see Romo starting. Personally, I don't think he's the future QB for the Cowboys but at least he's an unknown. You don't know if he's going to boom or bust. With Bledsoe, he's a known bust and I said so when we first signed him.

bah007
10-26-2006, 05:37 PM
So maybe the Cowboys draft wasnt a bust.

But they did waste their 1st & 2nd round draft pick.

Carpenter is a wasted 1st rounder cuz he hasnt seen the field all season.

They should just stick Fasano at WR cuz he cant read blitzes & even when he does he cant block anyone anyway. Oh wait, he is slow & cant catch so there goes that idea.

Why did they even draft a blocking TE in the 2nd when they could have kept one of the best in the league in Campbell?

WWJD
10-26-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm willing to give Romo a chance and felt it was time for a change. For whatever reason Drew isn't getting it done.

I do remember the radio guys saying in the Jacksonville game that Bledsoe had back issues but the Cowboys wanted him to play thru them. Perhaps it's a medical issue but he just is making too many mistakes. Mistakes that team cannot afford.

Anytime you have a number one draft choice that isn't even dressing out for games and you have needs in other positions well to me that's a bonehead pick.

That being said I don't know a thing about Carpenter or what he did in college.

If it was "best player available" choice well then you have to go along with it.

But our O line sucks!

Huge
10-27-2006, 08:41 AM
So maybe the Cowboys draft wasnt a bust.

But they did waste their 1st & 2nd round draft pick.

They should just stick Fasano at WR cuz he cant read blitzes & even when he does he cant block anyone anyway. Oh wait, he is slow & cant catch so there goes that idea.

Why did they even draft a blocking TE in the 2nd when they could have kept one of the best in the league in Campbell?
Jay Cutler hasn't seen the field all season for Denver. Was that a wasted pick for them?

Last I checked, Carpenter signed a 5 year contract. If he turns out to be a solid contributor next season, a starter in year 3 and a 2-time Pro Bowler by year 5, is it still a wasted pick?

Hopefully you'll comprehend what I'm saying and drop the argument that rookies can be wasted picks just based on their rookie seasons.

They drafted Fasano because of their change in philosophy on offense. Instead of a single back/3 WR set or the traditional TB/FB/2 WRs/1 TE set, Dallas wanted to go with double TE sets. Campbell wasn't a viable option in that offense because he's not good enough in the receiving department...Fasano is. You're giving up some on the blocking but you're gaining in the receiving. Dallas is gambling that two TEs (Fasano and Witten) can block as good/better combined than what Campbell can solo.

kastofsna
10-27-2006, 09:16 AM
are you serious?

bah007
10-27-2006, 11:25 AM
Jay Cutler hasn't seen the field all season for Denver. Was that a wasted pick for them?

Last I checked, Carpenter signed a 5 year contract. If he turns out to be a solid contributor next season, a starter in year 3 and a 2-time Pro Bowler by year 5, is it still a wasted pick?

Hopefully you'll comprehend what I'm saying and drop the argument that rookies can be wasted picks just based on their rookie seasons.

They drafted Fasano because of their change in philosophy on offense. Instead of a single back/3 WR set or the traditional TB/FB/2 WRs/1 TE set, Dallas wanted to go with double TE sets. Campbell wasn't a viable option in that offense because he's not good enough in the receiving department...Fasano is. You're giving up some on the blocking but you're gaining in the receiving. Dallas is gambling that two TEs (Fasano and Witten) can block as good/better combined than what Campbell can solo.

QB is different. Nobody expects QBs to start in their rookie year.

Im not saying Carpenter sucks. He could be the next Urlacher. I dont know.

My only point was that they had serious OL needs & drafted someone who isnt going to play.

In the future, it might turn out to be a brilliant decision.

But as of right now, it is a wasted pick.

Errant Hothy
10-27-2006, 12:02 PM
It's not that Carpenter hasn't played, it's the fact that he is rarely included on the gameday roster, name me another 1st round pick that is happening to.

And about Fassano, he isn't a bust but he is a wsated pick, espically when he's being mainly used to block on the line and the Cowboy's had Dan Campbell already on the team to do that. And Campbell is much better at blocking then Fassano.

When this is taken with the fact that the Cowboys did hardly anything to address the weakest part of their team, the picks look really sad.

A first rounder is a bust when he is getting beaten out by undrafter FA for playing time, so therefore Carpenter is a bust.

thunderkyss
10-27-2006, 12:04 PM
QB is different. Nobody expects

My only point was that they had serious OL needs & drafted someone who isnt going to play.

Last year, they drafted Rob Petiti who started most of the year at Right Tackle. They also picked up Fabini( I think from the jets,and he played in Flo's spot) Then they picked up Columbo(a second round pick, I think, from Chicago that they let go, because they didn't want to wast time while he rehabbed), then they picked up Rivera to play right Gaurd. & they got Corey Proctor in last years Draft as well.

This Year, they picked up PatMcQuistern(in the draft), and signed Kyle Kosier to replace Larry Allen.

The Cowboys line doesn't suck because they lack talent, or because they refuse to spend money on the line, they need more time together, and they needed a QB that didn't hold the ball for 10 seconds.

That same line is providing huge lanes for JJ to run in.

thunderkyss
10-27-2006, 12:10 PM
And about Fassano, he isn't a bust but he is a wsated pick, espically when he's being mainly used to block on the line and the Cowboy's had Dan Campbell already on the team to do that. And Campbell is much better at blocking then Fassano.

Fasano is being kept in to protect Bledsoe.... that's not the play being called in the huddle, that's Bledsoe asking for max protect every time he comes to the LOS.

Errant Hothy
10-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Fasano is being kept in to protect Bledsoe.... that's not the play being called in the huddle, that's Bledsoe asking for max protect every time he comes to the LOS.

No doubt, but if that's all your 2nd TE is going to do why draft Fassano to replace the much more capable Campbell?

bah007
10-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Last year, they drafted Rob Petiti who started most of the year at Right Tackle. They also picked up Fabini( I think from the jets,and he played in Flo's spot) Then they picked up Columbo(a second round pick, I think, from Chicago that they let go, because they didn't want to wast time while he rehabbed), then they picked up Rivera to play right Gaurd. & they got Corey Proctor in last years Draft as well.

This Year, they picked up PatMcQuistern(in the draft), and signed Kyle Kosier to replace Larry Allen.

The Cowboys line doesn't suck because they lack talent, or because they refuse to spend money on the line, they need more time together, and they needed a QB that didn't hold the ball for 10 seconds.

That same line is providing huge lanes for JJ to run in.

Nobody doubts that the Cowboys line can run block. But how much of that is Jones & Barber? Neither gets taken down on the first hit & they make most of their yds after contact.

But almost all of their lineman are too slow to keep up with speed rushers on the end & the interior of the line has a real problem picking up blitzes.

Huge
10-27-2006, 07:29 PM
QB is different. Nobody expects QBs to start in their rookie year.

Im not saying Carpenter sucks. He could be the next Urlacher. I dont know.

In the future, it might turn out to be a brilliant decision.

But as of right now, it is a wasted pick.
"But as of right now..."

It's good to see you're starting to come around.

It's not that Carpenter hasn't played, it's the fact that he is rarely included on the gameday roster, name me another 1st round pick that is happening to.

When this is taken with the fact that the Cowboys did hardly anything to address the weakest part of their team, the picks look really sad.

A first rounder is a bust when he is getting beaten out by undrafter FA for playing time, so therefore Carpenter is a bust.
Campbell was not kept in to protect the QB because he was rarely, if ever, involved in the passing offense. If a passing play was being called, Campbell was on the sidelines 90% of the time. He was a good run blocker and not much else.

bah007
10-27-2006, 07:32 PM
"But as of right now..."

It's good to see you're starting to come around.

Campbell was not kept in to protect the QB because he was rarely, if ever, involved in the passing offense. If a passing play was being called, Campbell was on the sidelines 90% of the time. He was a good run blocker and not much else.

"It's good to see you're starting to come around."

I didnt change my opinion so I dont understand.

Huge
10-27-2006, 07:48 PM
As I said earlier, Carpenter signed a 5 year contract. If he contributes next season, starts by year 3 and is a 2-time Pro Bowler after year 5, is it still a wasted pick?

Not making an impact (or even playing) your rookie season does not make you a wasted pick.

Going into that draft given our situation at the time and the talent that was in the draft, I wanted 1 of 2 players with our draft pick. Manny Lawson or Carpenter. So I was pleased with the Carpenter pick. Not because I thought he was going to contribute immediately but because I knew what it meant for the future of our defense.

I didn't think OL was a need nor did I want them to draft one in the first unless somehow by the grace of God D'Brickashaw Ferguson fell that far. I wasn't impressed with this class of WRs so I was pleased they didn't reach for one.

But I'm certainly not ready to give up on Carpenter 7 weeks into his career.

If you feel he was a wasted pick because it would've been better used elsewhere, which player do you think they should've drafted?

dtran04
10-27-2006, 07:54 PM
I wonder why Bledsoe kept doing the "kill" audible (with the hand gesture across the neck) all the time. Everyone and their mom knows that it means to go max protect.

GuerillaBlack
10-27-2006, 07:55 PM
You may be please witht he pick Huge, but he hasn't done a thing on the field yet. How do you know that it was a good pick, if he has not played a single NFL down, yet?

thunderkyss
10-27-2006, 07:56 PM
No doubt, but if that's all your 2nd TE is going to do why draft Fassano to replace the much more capable Campbell?

That wasn't the plan when they drafted Fasano, or during TC..... that developed as a result of Bledsoe holding on to the ball too long.

Nobody doubts that the Cowboys line can run block. But how much of that is Jones & Barber? Neither gets taken down on the first hit & they make most of their yds after contact.

But almost all of their lineman are too slow to keep up with speed rushers on the end & the interior of the line has a real problem picking up blitzes.

My point is that they've invested a lot in the Offensive line over the last two years(three actually). Just because they didn't draft an OL this year doesn't mean they mismanaging their money.

bah007
10-27-2006, 08:00 PM
As I said earlier, Carpenter signed a 5 year contract. If he contributes next season, starts by year 3 and is a 2-time Pro Bowler after year 5, is it still a wasted pick?

Not making an impact (or even playing) your rookie season does not make you a wasted pick.

Going into that draft given our situation at the time and the talent that was in the draft, I wanted 1 of 2 players with our draft pick. Manny Lawson or Carpenter. So I was pleased with the Carpenter pick. Not because I thought he was going to contribute immediately but because I knew what it meant for the future of our defense.

I didn't think OL was a need nor did I want them to draft one in the first unless somehow by the grace of God D'Brickashaw Ferguson fell that far. I wasn't impressed with this class of WRs so I was pleased they didn't reach for one.

But I'm certainly not ready to give up on Carpenter 7 weeks into his career.

If you feel he was a wasted pick because it would've been better used elsewhere, which player do you think they should've drafted?

First of all I am a huge Cowboys fan so dont think Im just bashing.

If he contributes next year it is not a wasted pick. I am only saying that if the pick doesnt help us this year, then this year it is a waste.

To be honest, I really liked Manny Lawson but I also like the LBs we have so I wasnt desperate for him. I also liked S Roman Harper from Alabama but Watkins look okay.

I really liked Marcus McNeill from Auburn & I thought we should get him, but he fell all the way to 50 so we coulda got him in the 2nd instead of Fasano.

I didnt think Carpenter was 1st round material (I thought Hawk made him look better than he really was) & he has not done anything yet to change my mind.

thunderkyss
10-27-2006, 08:11 PM
If he contributes next year it is not a wasted pick. I am only saying that if the pick doesnt help us this year, then this year it is a waste.

as a first round pick, yes, he is expected to contribute sometime this year.

To be honest, I really liked Manny Lawson but I also like the LBs we have so I wasnt desperate for him. I also liked S Roman Harper from Alabama but Watkins look okay.

If Lawson was drafted by the Cowboys, I'm betting Bill would be playing the same mind game with him. Surely there is something about Carpenter he doesn't like....... attitude, work ethic..... something. But for Bill, it probably doesn't have to be a real big thing either... he might not like the way he dresses for all we know.

As for your safety....... you got BobbyCarpenter & Watkins..... who is starting as a rookie...

I didnt think Carpenter was 1st round material (I thought Hawk made him look better than he really was) & he has not done anything yet to change my mind.

except that Hawk doesn't look like he was all that.

But if you felt this way before the draft, then I can understand everything you've said so far, & Bill is just adding fuel to your fire..... But from everything I've heard Bill say about the kid, and the way he says it, I'm sure he is more pleased than not with Carpenter.

bah007
10-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Well that is good to hear.

Here's hoping he contributes big at some point.

thunderkyss
10-27-2006, 08:15 PM
bah007, I can understand your frustration with Bill & his love of LBs....... heck, your cast offs are 2 of the 3 LBs that are holding down N.O. Defense.

But if Bill thought this guy was worth a 1st round pick........ think about it.

Huge
10-28-2006, 08:51 AM
You may be please witht he pick Huge, but he hasn't done a thing on the field yet. How do you know that it was a good pick, if he has not played a single NFL down, yet?
How do you know it was a bad pick if he has not played a single NFL down yet?

I really liked Marcus McNeill from Auburn & I thought we should get him, but he fell all the way to 50 so we coulda got him in the 2nd instead of Fasano.
I liked both of those players (Harper, McNeil) as well. But consider:

They signed Marcus Coleman to a free agent contract in April. So why spend a 1st round pick on that position?

They signed Fabini to a free agent contract in March. So why spend a 1st round pick on that position?

I'm sure Parcells was expecting Keith Davis to improve after having a year experience playing FS. I'm sure he was expecting Petiti to at least provide adequate back-up after getting a ton of playing time last year. So it just didn't make sense to address those positions in the 1st round.

However, in the LB corps:

Dat Ngyuen retired.
Scott Fujita signed with New Orleans.
Al Singleton wasn't getting any younger and was coming off an injury.
Kevin Burnett was coming off an injury and had still yet to prove he could play at this level.

The lack of depth in LBs was part of the reason Greg Ellis was moved to OLB. And in a 3-4 defense, you need a lot of LB's that can move. So the Carpenter pick made sense in my eyes.

They did address the FS and OL positions later in the draft where you usually draft for depth. And at the time, I'm sure that's what they were getting in Watkins and McQuistan.

Now ask me next April if I'd like to see them address OL in the 1st and you're going to get a totally different answer from me. :)

GuerillaBlack
10-28-2006, 09:48 AM
How do you know it was a bad pick if he has not played a single NFL down yet?

Because if he was good enough, he would be starter or atleast 2nd string right now. He is neither.

thunderkyss
10-28-2006, 11:15 AM
Because if he was good enough, he would be starter or atleast 2nd string right now. He is neither.

As a Texans fan, I can understand this line of thinking. But when you're actually drafted by a good team, chances aren't all that great that you'll actually get to play.

Sure, he can be put in to back up Ellis, and he will. But just because he hasn't so far, doesn't mean that he's a bust.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
10-28-2006, 01:35 PM
As a Texans fan, I can understand this line of thinking. But when you're actually drafted by a good team, chances aren't all that great that you'll actually get to play.

Zing!

GuerillaBlack man, change up that avatar. A bet's a bet, put on that shining Dallas Star!