PDA

View Full Version : NFL owners approve two international games

TexanSam
10-24-2006, 08:26 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/10/24/bc.fbn.nflmeetings.ap/index.html

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Two NFL regular-season games will be played each year outside the United States in Mexico, Canada and Europe, starting in 2007.

The plan, first announced last month, was approved Tuesday at the recommendation of new commissioner Roger Goodell.

No specific sites were given for the games. But when the proposal originally was disclosed, the league suggested that Britain and Germany likely would host the European games.

The plan would be set up so that teams would rotate over a 16-year period, with each team playing outside the country twice over that span, once as a visitor, the other as a home team. That means a team would lose one home game during that span.

Losing the home-game revenue was the main objection raised by some teams.

"We're going to get compensated," said Pat Bowlen, owner of the Denver Broncos. "Obviously the league's going to work out the economics and if we lose a home game, we'll get compensated.

"We're comfortable with it. Obviously we'd like to play in Mexico or Canada and not have to travel to Europe and that's probably the way it would be set up because of our location. But as far as the league's concerned, I think it's a great idea."

In 2005, the NFL staged its first regular-season game outside the United States when the Arizona Cardinals hosted the San Francisco 49ers in Mexico City. A crowd of 103,467 flocked to Azteca Stadium, the largest crowd for a regular-season game in NFL history.

The league also has played numerous exhibition games overseas for the past two decades. The New England Patriots and Seattle Seahawks will play a preseason game next August in Beijing.

"This step comes in response to the tremendous and growing interest in the NFL around the world. The owners believe that hosting regular-season games outside the United States on a regular basis is in the best interests of the league and will help to increase the fan base, build awareness of the NFL and grow the sport worldwide," Goodell said.

Mark Waller, senior vice president of NFL International, said last month the league believes fans in a number of countries are now ready for the real thing. NFL games regularly have been televised live in Mexico and Canada and more recently in Europe, notably Britain.

"The preseason games and American Bowl games have worked well to introduce fans to the game," Waller said. "Once fans have gotten to know it and understand it, they are very aware that the regular season, playoffs and Super Bowl are the real thing."

That sucks. I don't want to miss a Texans game because they're playing in Mexico City or Toronto or anywhere else. I can see this being done with baseball or basketball because they're so many home games, but we only have 8 homes games per year in the NFL and I don't really want to lose one just to have it more widely known internationally. Preseason games I'd be fine with, but I don't like the idea of regular season games in another country, even if it's only twice during a 16 year span.

TexansLucky13
10-24-2006, 09:03 PM
That sucks. I don't want to miss a Texans game because they're playing in Mexico City or Toronto or anywhere else. I can see this being done with baseball or basketball because they're so many home games, but we only have 8 homes games per year in the NFL and I don't really want to lose one just to have it more widely known internationally. Preseason games I'd be fine with, but I don't like the idea of regular season games in another country, even if it's only twice during a 16 year span.

Completely agreed. This is ridiculous! I want my Texans "home" games to be at home!

powerfuldragon
10-24-2006, 09:14 PM
They'll try it for a little while before they realize how impractical it is to fly a team overseas for one weekend.

gwallaia
10-24-2006, 11:52 PM
Alright, but they have to start playing regular season Canadian football games here in America.

TexansLucky13
10-25-2006, 12:00 AM
Alright, but they have to start playing regular season Canadian football games here in America.

We all want to see how Ricky Williams is performing!

TexanSam
10-25-2006, 12:01 AM

And they have to have English Premier League soccer in the United States. If we're going to have our best football played in Europe for one game, we have to have their best football in the United States for one game. Fair is fair.

Maddict5
10-25-2006, 10:20 AM
i think its a great idea....and before you ask, yes i am from europe

profan
10-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Well, my next year maybe we can make up that lost home game with a home playoff game. Wish the owners would have eliminated a preseaon game or two.

TD
10-25-2006, 10:48 AM
It should be an away game for both teams so that home games are intact AND it has to be aired nationwide. Fair is fair.

I don't think that's possible. Somebody would have to lose a home game.

edo783
10-25-2006, 10:54 AM
I didn't catch it all, but on the NFL channel they said something was under consideration for like 3 games in the UK or possibel 7 in Germany??? I could see a game or 2 in Europe, but that's about it. I would go to London ( theNew Wembley stadium would be great) for one or Berlin/Munich, because I go on buisness to those places, but I doubt many from the US would go.

SheTexan
10-25-2006, 11:08 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/10/24/bc.fbn.nflmeetings.ap/index.html

Me either!! I knew this was coming and I hate it!! It's like stabbing hard working, diehard football fans in the back for being loyal and supportive of OUR teams!! SOME of us work our butts off taking on extra hours, working 2-3 jobs, just to pay for our chosen entertainment from Aug to Jan!! I don't want ONE of my games taken away from me!!! That's a fact!! This is all about putting MONEY in the pockets of NFL owers, not because they want to broaden the interest in football in other countries. They are putting the screws to the fans who have made NFL football what it is today! JMO!!

hot pickle
10-25-2006, 11:20 AM
i think the NFL will send the two teams that have the worst home attendance, cause if they send a team that sells out everygame, they will lose money, but i dunno, its good for fan base, but sucks for home team fans

gwallaia
10-25-2006, 11:27 AM
This is all a pre-cursor for NFL expansion into other countries.

texansfanquecaneh
10-25-2006, 11:34 AM

As a Canadian, I would love to see the Texans in person. On the other hand, if they were to play a game in Toronto, I would feel like I'm taking somebody's belongings for myself. I wouldn't feel right about it. Someday, I'll take my son to Houston for a game (when he's older). That way I'm not taking from the rightful owner. Also, the ambiance would be much different if it would be a ¨neutral¨site.
Plus, if they will do this; the game has to be at a neutral site. The obvious choice in Canada would be Toronto, but that means Buffalo should not be allowed to play there, because it would be an extra home game for them. They have too many (arrogant) fans there. Good thing their fan base is not Canada wide. But there aren't that many other stadiums to choose from. I only see Vancouver, Edmonton and maybe Montreal (the CFL team doesn't even use Olympic Stadium).
I like NFL football more than any other sport, but I believe there are more deserving places to host NFL games than up here in Canada:twocents:.

V Man
10-25-2006, 11:42 AM
On the bright side, I know I will get to see at least 2 Texans games here in San Antonio.:brickwall

Double Barrel
10-25-2006, 12:20 PM

I agree completely.

And I have to wonder if the 9 game season ticket holders will be paying full price, too. I'd lead a fan revolt if our Texans played a home game on the road and we had to pay full price for an entire season ticket package.

If the NFL expands beyond 32 teams, the talent pool will continue to be diluted, and the product will suffer. I can see a point where the league gets too big and they shoot the golden goose.

mexican_texan
10-25-2006, 12:40 PM
I agree completely.

And I have to wonder if the 9 game season ticket holders will be paying full price, too. I'd lead a fan revolt if our Texans played a home game on the road and we had to pay full price for an entire season ticket package.

If the NFL expands beyond 32 teams, the talent pool will continue to be diluted, and the product will suffer. I can see a point where the league gets too big and they shoot the golden goose.
What if they give you plane tickets, room and board, and...a foam finger?

Double Barrel
10-25-2006, 12:43 PM
What if they give you plane tickets, room and board, and...a foam finger?

I'm on it! The foam finger seals the deal.

hobie
10-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Relax people, the Texans are no where good enough to be one of those teams going overseas, Mexico maybe. Look for Dallas, NY, or Indy, as they are world known teams, sending Houston would not mean much to the sales of gear.

Now I would be a little pissed as well if they took a home game away from whatever team it was that goes and still charged me, then again, it is nuts they charge full price for a pre season game when the players are 3rd-4th stringers playing. Not fair to charge the same price for a watered down product that most guys wont be in the league after camp anyways..

Oh well, just be happy Houston won't be going...

Cjeremy635
10-25-2006, 01:55 PM
I don't know if anyone has considered this or not, but isn't there a lower average income in Mexico? To say the the "fans" there are going to spend the same cost that we spend on ticket prices would be a little far fetched IMHO. Maybe they are banking on the huge amounts of people that would show up to offset that price. I don't know, let's do a comparison for a moment:

Reliant stadium: 70,000 fans +/- @ $50.00 avg. ticket = 3.5 million dollars.

Stadium in Mexico: 100,000 fans +/- @ $25.00 avg. ticket =2.5 million dollars.

I'd stay home in Houston and give it to the "true fans". Maybe they are expecting this to turn into a huge world wide sport and line their pockets more. I think it would be a huge distraction and disadvantage for a team to travel to another country on a 17 hour flight to play a game and turn around and come home, get past the jet lag, and get ready for another road game. Totally unfair IMHO. :twocents:

WWJD
10-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Bet the players hate hearing this news! Personally I think it's kind of silly. They have that World League or whatever it's called and I've never seen one game where the stands were anywhere close to full.

Definitely just a money thing. And the rich get richer.....

mancunian
10-25-2006, 03:11 PM
i think its a great idea....and before you ask, yes i am from europe

me too - it would be great as fans of the NFL would go to watch the game regardless of who was playing.

Blu
10-25-2006, 03:18 PM
JUst as long as the NFL doesn't touch the Cowboys vs Texans game in 4 yrs and move it to Mexico,,,, then I would get :wild:

bad enough it would be a home game for dem boys in Mexico insted of the Texans. :twocents:

V Man
10-25-2006, 03:25 PM
JUst as long as the NFL doesn't touch the Cowboys vs Texans game in 4 yrs and move it to Mexico,,,, then I would get :wild:

bad enough it would be a home game for dem boys in Mexico insted of the Texans. :twocents:

Thanks for ruining my day. The more I think about it the more sense that makes. Two teams close to Mexico (traveling would be easier); and it would be easier on Jerry and the boys because even if it is our home game, they would have more fans;:crying:

Porky
10-25-2006, 04:23 PM
I agree. It's called the National football league, not the International football league. I have a problem with it on several levels. The ones already mentioned are one. But, I also have a problem with the long flight to and fro, and shaking up the normal routine in such a dramatic way. I don't see how that can help a team myself. If anything, it seems like it could hurt a team. Those are very long ardous trips. Anything that might potentially cause the guys to lose focus, lose sleep, or anything else similar is something I would be against. I am ok to an extent with Mexico and Canada, but regular season games in Europe? No way. I hope the player's union raises a stink.

Double Barrel
10-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Does the NFL Europe championship game even sell out?

I don't understand the marketing angle, other than $$ for owners. This does a huge disservice to those fans that lose a hometown game.

And I wouldn't count the Texans as out of the rotation. Think about it, the NFL might not want to disrupt teams that will be in contention for playoff spots, because single games can mean a LOT to these teams (so a big stink is raised). So why not use lowly bottom-dwellers (like the Texans) to pimp the product in other countries?

TexanSam
10-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Relax people, the Texans are no where good enough to be one of those teams going overseas, Mexico maybe. Look for Dallas, NY, or Indy, as they are world known teams, sending Houston would not mean much to the sales of gear.

Now I would be a little pissed as well if they took a home game away from whatever team it was that goes and still charged me, then again, it is nuts they charge full price for a pre season game when the players are 3rd-4th stringers playing. Not fair to charge the same price for a watered down product that most guys wont be in the league after camp anyways..

Oh well, just be happy Houston won't be going...

Every team will play 2 games internationally some time during the next 16 years. They just aren't sending a few teams. They should not send the Texans because of the name Texans. I mean, fine if they send the Titans or the Dolphins to Europe or Canada they'll know what that is. If the Texans go to Europe or Germany or somewhere, how many people will know what the hell a Texan is? That'd be like the Nova Scotia Nova Scotians playing down here. How many people would know what Nova Scotia is?

geofb
10-25-2006, 04:33 PM
I don't like it either but keep in mind we're only talking about 1 home game over a 16 year period. That is less than 1% of our regular season home games we are talking about here.

Double Barrel
10-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Every team will play 2 games internationally some time during the next 16 years.

I didn't even catch that part (or I read it and it didn't sink in).

Fans can put a stop to this proposal if we band together in protest.

Play the Pro-Bowl game around the world instead of a valuable regular season game. That way, these folks can see the stars of the league without messing up schedules and routines.

hobie
10-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Well which ever teams they chose, they will most certain get the bye the following weekend, so that wouldn't pose a problem. Now what would suck is that they wouldn't be able to prepare for the game, as the players get Tuesdays off, so Monday after a game they hit the training rooms and watch film, off Tuesday, then depart on Wednesday to fly to Europe, get in late or early Thursday, get used to the surroundings, Friday film and practice some, Saturday, walk thrus, maybe a light practice, then off to bed...Sunday suit up.. Man, that's alot of doing nothing to prepare for a MEANINGFUL game. I can't believe the owners agreed on it, what I would like to know is what percentage approved it, I mean, what was the financial package offered to the teams picked, and those not would be like "hey, what about our take".

Let's hope they give out the numbers on the vote, I would be interested in that.

TexanSam
10-25-2006, 04:43 PM
I didn't even catch that part (or I read it and it didn't sink in).

Fans can put a stop to this proposal if we band together in protest.

Play the Pro-Bowl game around the world instead of a valuable regular season game. That way, these folks can see the stars of the league without messing up schedules and routines.

That would be a really good idea. If the NFL sends the worst team in the league one year because they were scheduled ahead of time, I don't think that's going to attract that much attention. Having the Pro Bowl overseas would be a good idea.

hobie
10-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Having the Pro Bowl overseas would be a good idea.

Well depending on where it is played, remember, it is a vacation, all expenses paid for those and they bring thier families as well. So if it was played in Europe or Mexico or some other place, you would see alot of players decide to skip it....Hawaii is one hell of a perk, Barcelona.......mmmmm, think again.

WWJD
10-25-2006, 04:51 PM
They have preseason games in Japan sometimes and the players raise a fit! They say they get totally out of their routine and it disrupts them for several games. This is definitely owner driven, the owners will be the ones to benefit and I'm just guessing but I bet they didn't poll the players or ask coaches around the league if this sounded like a good idea.

Of course on the other hand they are paid (well paid) performers and you do what the ringmaster tells you to do.

real
10-25-2006, 05:04 PM
...I bet they didn't poll the players or ask coaches around the league if this sounded like a good idea.

Why would they....They work for the owners....

WWJD
10-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Uh maybe because at some places employee opinions count. I realize that is a huge stretch for any sports, particularly pros, but you know if they have a union (such as it is) and the owners say ok you're going to do this and it's going to be something entirely different than what you are used to I would think perhaps a discussion would be in order.

All I know is what I've read through the years and the players and coaches don't like playing those games in Japan and those are preseason.

Doesn't matter though. They've still had those games, they were meaningless and I guess the Japanese enjoyed it.

I'm just wondering though why this is necessary. They have teams in Europe with NFL players on them. Ok well scrub NFL players but hey they get paid by the NFL. Guess that's not enough. And I'm just barely watched those games but the stadiums are never full in the ones I've speed watched. So why even bother? Oh wait. MONEY!

Tyr
10-25-2006, 05:28 PM
Relax people, the Texans are no where good enough to be one of those teams going overseas, Mexico maybe.

We are talking over a 16 year span. Please, for the sake of sanity, do not even accidentally imply that over the next 16 years the Texans will be looking for a winning season. :yikes:

Porky
10-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Just look at what happened to the Saints last year with the travel they had to do and that was all pretty close stuff. They would have to give bye weeks to the teams that traveled out of the country to recover. The union will get involved. Hopefully the new commish won't be an airhead like Tag was.

The new commish is the one who pushed for the change to have the games out of country. Personally, I think this is nothing but another money grab for the greedy owners.

Texans_Chick
10-25-2006, 07:56 PM
This totally sucks.

It is bad for fans of the home teams, heck I'm feebing out over this stretch of away games. The worst thing is medically for the players.

Three hours of touch football will make you sore as heck. Three hours of NFL football is being in a repeated car wreck. The worst thing you can do is to immediately go on a long international flight back. And then have to prepare for the next game.

There have been cases of players who get injured in games not know the extent of the injuries until they are in the air flying home. This has caused the flights to have to land early to drop the player off at a hospital.

What happens if this occurs over the Atlantic?

Whatever teams get picked to do the international thing (esp to Europe) will be at a disadvantage compared to teams that don't have to take the trip. This is not like baseball or basketball where there are a bunch of throw away games. I can't imagine any coach wanting to jack with this.

Bleh. Bad idea.

TexanSam
10-25-2006, 08:10 PM
This totally sucks.

It is bad for fans of the home teams, heck I'm feebing out over this stretch of away games. The worst thing is medically for the players.

Three hours of touch football will make you sore as heck. Three hours of NFL football is being in a repeated car wreck. The worst thing you can do is to immediately go on a long international flight back. And then have to prepare for the next game.

There have been cases of players who get injured in games not know the extent of the injuries until they are in the air flying home. This has caused the flights to have to land early to drop the player off at a hospital.

What happens if this occurs over the Atlantic?

Whatever teams get picked to do the international thing (esp to Europe) will be at a disadvantage compared to teams that don't have to take the trip. This is not like baseball or basketball where there are a bunch of throw away games. I can't imagine any coach wanting to jack with this.

Bleh. Bad idea.

Exactly. If the games are going to be in Canada or Mexico only, then that's fine for the players (for the fans it still sucks) since it would be only a slightly longer flight. The NFL should give a team a bye week before and after the game if it's in Europe or Asia.

Blu
10-25-2006, 08:43 PM
the truth is the owners are thinking big.
what soccer once thought of, the NFL will achive ,sorting like globalization of a sport,on the big $ level..
Add Mexico and a few places in Europe and then you have a Mega league.
Give it 10 seasons.

TheOgre
10-26-2006, 10:48 AM
They could have those games the day before Labor Day and give those 4 teams the opening week off. Of course that would cut into the preseason revenue, so they may not do that.

mancunian
10-26-2006, 01:58 PM
They could have those games the day before Labor Day and give those 4 teams the opening week off. Of course that would cut into the preseason revenue, so they may not do that.

the other alternative is for theose teams that play these games to have a bye week after them.

The UK press had an article on this today and were suggesting that for games in Europe they would be looking at East Coast cities with good links to London. That'll be the New York Teams, NE, Dolphins etc then