PDA

View Full Version : Kube and The Running Back Situation...

HeartofHouston
10-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Wali Lundy and all but do you think that it's possible that Kube will be looking for another runinng back for next year maybe from the draft or maybe out of free angency?

Corrosion
10-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Wali Lundy and all but do you think that it's possible that Kube will be looking for another runinng back for next year maybe from the draft or maybe out of free angency?

I think that with DD's return next season still in question and the poor production so far this season in the running game you would have to be looking to upgrade the position . Lundy has had one good game so far in the regular season and had flashes in the pre-season ..... If Lundy or Gado turn it on for the duration of this season then maybe not . But at this point I say the answer to your question is an easy one ..... Yes .:twocents:

thunderkyss
10-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Denver always has a bunch of running backs. I expect the same here in Houston, regardless of DDs health.

Even if we had drafted Reggie Bush, Vernand Morency would probably have been traded, RonDayne still would have been picked up, and we'd still look to draft a running back in the '07 draft.

"the system" can only do so much. an equal part of it's success, is to throw a bunch of guys at it, and see who produces.

Texans Horror
10-24-2006, 12:51 PM
We'll keep on drafting to support the system, but it won't be a first-rounder. We didn't take Reggie Bush last year, and we won't take Running Back X next year.

Errant Hothy
10-24-2006, 01:13 PM
I don't understand how people can sit here and say that Kubiak wouldn't use teh first round pick on a running back, when we tried to trade back into the first round to grba running back in last year's draft.

grnydrowave
10-24-2006, 02:19 PM
I don't understand how people can sit here and say that Kubiak wouldn't use teh first round pick on a running back, when we tried to trade back into the first round to grba running back in last year's draft.

Only one guy is saying that. And I don't understand what you mean about "trying to trade back into the first round to grab an RB". Clarify please?

Errant Hothy
10-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Only one guy is saying that. And I don't understand what you mean about "trying to trade back into the first round to grab an RB". Clarify please?

The story on draft day was that the Texans tried pretty hard to trade back into the first to grab D. Williams or possibly Moroney.

El Tejano
10-24-2006, 02:23 PM
It has been stated before that The Texans were trying to use the 2nd round pick to trade back into the first round with Buffalo so we could get Deangelo Williams from Memphis.

bigTEXan8
10-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Denver always has a bunch of running backs. I expect the same here in Houston, regardless of DDs health.

well right now, tatum bell is Denver's only reall rb, and he's getting 20+ carries a game for the past few weeks. it is my personal feeling that the texans need a primary, regular back that gets those 20+ carries. jmo.

Marcus
10-24-2006, 02:31 PM
It has been stated before that The Texans were trying to use the 2nd round pick to trade back into the first round with Buffalo so we could get Deangelo Williams from Memphis.
Well, considering who they got in the 2nd round, I'm glad they were unsuccessful.

thunderkyss
10-24-2006, 03:01 PM
well right now, tatum bell is Denver's only reall rb, and he's getting 20+ carries a game for the past few weeks. it is my personal feeling that the texans need a primary, regular back that gets those 20+ carries. jmo.

I agree with that.... but they also have MikeBell, and someone else, just in case Tatum couldn't get it done.

I believe Denver has always wanted 1 guy, but it looked like they were going RBC, because they tried so many people out. They want one back to get the majority of the carries, and define the run game, then a back to spell him.

But they'll continue to try different RBs at that situation.... They might realize they are having a hard time getting a Franchise WR if Jevon doesn't work out, and trade Tatum for B.Berium or RoyWilliams or something.

I'm not insinuating that they are even thinking about doing anything like that, but saying they might use Tatum as Capitol the way they used ClintonPortis.

bah007
10-24-2006, 03:04 PM
I agree with that.... but they also have MikeBell, and someone else, just in case Tatum couldn't get it done.

I believe Denver has always wanted 1 guy, but it looked like they were going RBC, because they tried so many people out. They want one back to get the majority of the carries, and define the run game, then a back to spell him.

But they'll continue to try different RBs at that situation.... They might realize they are having a hard time getting a Franchise WR if Jevon doesn't work out, and trade Tatum for B.Berium or RoyWilliams or something.

I'm not insinuating that they are even thinking about doing anything like that, but saying they might use Tatum as Capitol the way they used ClintonPortis.

Javon Walker looks like he is gonna work out just fine for the Broncos

TheOgre
10-24-2006, 03:05 PM

Very early in the year they threw out facts about Bell. The past two years his numbers have dropped off considerably as the year goes on (he also had a huge dropoff when he got 11+ carries). Lets see if he wears down this year too.

HeartofHouston
10-24-2006, 03:07 PM
I would love to pick have Marshawn Lynch or Maybe Kenny Irons. I'm sure if it will happen tho.. wit Peterson out for the season and coming back next year most likely. And wit the injury to Michael Bush both of these supposedly being the first 2 backs taken.. it's going to push the RB class up higher in the draft.. Instead of Peterson then Bush then Lynch then Irons it will make it Lynch then Irons then so on.

bah007
10-24-2006, 03:09 PM
I would love to pick have Marshawn Lynch or Maybe Kenny Irons. I'm sure if it will happen tho.. wit Peterson out for the season and coming back next year most likely. And wit the injury to Michael Bush both of these supposedly being the first 2 backs taken.. it's going to push the RB class up higher in the draft.. Instead of Peterson then Bush then Lynch then Irons it will make it Lynch then Irons then so on.

Do you mean you think Peterson is going back to OU next year?

As long as he heals correctly I cant see a collarbone injury delaying his draft decision

tulexan
10-24-2006, 03:40 PM
With all of the good RB's in the draft next year, I think there is a good chance that one will fall to the second round. But I think that if we have the chance to get Marshawn Lynch we should take him. He is a complete back who would do very well in our system.

thunderkyss
10-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Javon Walker looks like he is gonna work out just fine for the Broncos

Like I said, I'm not trying to insinuate anything, just making up an example.....

With all of the good RB's in the draft next year, I think there is a good chance that one will fall to the second round. But I think that if we have the chance to get Marshawn Lynch we should take him. He is a complete back who would do very well in our system.

Instead of asking ourselves if this guy or that guy would be perfect for our system, we need to look at the backs Denver/Kubiak has drafted to work in their system.

ClintonPortis & Tatum Bell are two backs Denver/Kubiak felt good enough to draft in the second round..... D'AngeloWilliams/LawrenceMoroney one of them had Kubiak trying to move up in the draft to pick, at the expense of a player like DemecoRyans.

OlandisGary, Mike Anderson, & Terrell Davis are also guys Denver/Kubiak felt good enough about to aquire in the draft(I think they drafted those guys)

What was it about those guys that Denver liked?? and who in the upcoming draft shares most of those traights.

I haven't seen much of Marshawn Lynch, & while I do like his style, I don't think he is in the same mold as the guys Denver/Kubiak usually go after.

real
10-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally I wanted one of the top tier backs....but I changed my mind...

I think we'd get more value by picking an OL or defensive player...

Right now Im hoping we go OL or DB in the first...preferably Safety

HJam72
10-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Free safety! :redtowel:

nunusguy
10-24-2006, 04:39 PM
The story on draft day was that the Texans tried pretty hard to trade back into the first to grab D. Williams or possibly Moroney.

I dunno, but this is all but common knowledge and had we have somehow gotten Moroney, we would have gotten a more complete running back than
Reggie Boy, who simply can't run inside. And isn't 2007 a strong Draft for running backs ? Once again, very good back(s) may be on the Board in late
first or the second round ?
But lets face it, we will probably be picking top 10 in 2007 (if not top 5 - I liked the win against the Jags, but I'm not ready to say we turned the year
around), and I'm doubful Kubiak uses that high a pick on a back.

run-david-run
10-24-2006, 04:46 PM
I think we will be picking somewhere around 15. Maybe with a trade down or such I can see us getting someone like Irons around 20th. RB's tend to go in the top 5 or 10 then in the 20's and later rounds. Guys like Peterson and maybe Lynch will go quickly, then Irons and Bush and such will be in a position where we could draft them. Whether we choose to go for running back, O-line or defense will be decided by the next 10 games.

NoBullTexan
10-24-2006, 04:46 PM
We oughta make sure both lines are in quality position before we worry about any other skill position. OL & DL, or LB should be our first priority. We can run with who we got if we fix our offensive line depth. We can defend the run if we fix our DL and LB problem.:)

run-david-run
10-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Dont forget free agency. If we get someone like Asante Samuel and Ken Hamlin, our secondary will be set for a while. Then we can either get a running back or linebacker, depending on the success of Lundy and Gado from here on out.

HJam72
10-24-2006, 04:49 PM
We oughta make sure both lines are in quality position before we worry about any other skill position. OL & DL, or LB should be our first priority. We can run with who we got if we fix our offensive line depth. We can defend the run if we fix our DL and LB problem.:)

O-line should be a 2nd day picks thing from now on, from what I understand, because of Kubiak's system. Am I wrong about this?

If I'm right, I want DBs.