PDA

View Full Version : Organizational Comparison: Dallas v. Houston

dalemurphy
10-24-2006, 08:29 AM
Well, I know I'm chosing a very opportune time to bring this up but let's do it anyway. First, I'd like to thank Chris Palmer for his protection schemes. He has worked the same magic in Dallas that he did here. I think it's clear that starting in 2007, the Texans, for the first time in franchise history will be the better Texas team. Our organization seems to have turned a corner while the Cowboys are beginning to unravel...

1. 2006 draft: The Texans had somewhere between a good and exceptional draft- time will tell. As much being made of the Mario pick (which is looking pretty good), Demeco Ryans and Charles Spencer (if he recovers) are both potentially perennial probowlers starting next year. Owen Daniels is at least a solid pick. Moulds was a great acquisition (5th round). Lundy, at the least, will be a solid and inexpensive backup for the next 4 years. Meanwhile, the Cowboys picked Carpenter (15 spots ahead of Ryans), who can't even make the gameday roster. In the second, they took an overhyped Fasano and let a very good TE (Dan Campbell) go to make room. Early results aren't too good for Pat Watkins either and they didn't address their old rickety offensive line until the 7th round where they are relying on an aging Flozell Adams and old Marco Rivera and a injury-riddled Mark Colombo.

2. Front office: The Texans now have a GM and a coach who share the same vision and will work together very well. Dallas has Jerry Jones!

3. Coaching: While I'm not ready to put Kubes in the Parcell's class, he looks to be a good one. Meanwhile, Chris Palmer is the O.C. in Big D and Parcells is prepping his retirement speech.

4. QB: We have one and they don't!

5. Youth: Most of our talent is on this side of 30. While Dallas has some good young defensive players, much of their money and talent is an over 30 gang (Flozell, Rivera, TO, TGlenn, GEllis)

6. OL: Wow! how about this, huh. We have Spencer, Pitts, Flanagan, Weary, Winston and a staff who understands protection. Dallas may have nobody starting for them who will be there in 2 years.

7. Winning plan: I could've made this part of the Front Office but 7 is better than 6... The Texans have a vision and a plan and everyone is on the same page working to it. We're going to build a strong line on both sides of the ball- run the ball, stretch the field horizontally and vertically, use the athleticism of our QB. Dallas is about to hunt for new head coach and staff. Meanwhile, Jerry will do his thing regardless of who comes in (ex. Terrell Owens, Mike Vanderjagt, ignoring the Oline)

It's going to be a fun ride the next few years!

Mr. White
10-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Kind of related...

Since the Cowboys are the first team that I ever watched rebuild from 1 win to multiple Super Bowls, theirs is the blueprint that I always look to when a team rebuilds.

It would be tough for any team to build like they did since the salary cap didn't exist back then. They also had the Herschel Walker trade...I doubt something like that'll ever happen again.

bah007
10-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Carr = Aikman
Andre = Irvin
? = Smith (the only missing link)
Ryans = Woodson (defensive star)

thunderkyss
10-24-2006, 09:31 AM
To be fair, Dallas' OLine is just as new as ours. Parcells has put alot of time into Gurard, and it's starting to show in JJs stats. Flozell only played 6 games last year, and Kosier is brand new, and as a pulling gaurd, he looks pretty Sharp. Columbo is also a new addition, and his mistakes look to be more mental, not up to speed with the rest of the team, but he'll get there.

Just as our line is learning how to work together in our system, so is theirs, and unlike a bad OL, it's going to get better as the year goes on.

It's not a popular opinion, but I think Bledsoe is an older Version of David Carr. & while that might sound like an insult to some, I really like Bledsoe.

As far as the draft goes..... Dallas has so much talent, that they had to let good players go to keep their rookies. We didn't..... hopefully we'll have that problem in a couple of years.

And while I can understand why some folks don't like JerryJones, I happen to like him. He's not as obnoxious as DanSnyder trying to buy a SuperBowl. He's given us TroyAikman, EmmitSmith, MichaelIrvin, JayNovachek, Larry Allen, Charles Haley, RoyWilliams, DatNguyen, and a three SuperBowl rings to Texas.

Sure, JimmyJohnson had a lot to do with bringing those players into Texas.... but it was JerryJones that brought Jimmy.. & it was the two of them working together that Accomplished what they accomplished.

I just wish JJ was better at bringing coaches into Dallas. Actually, I think BarrySwitzer, ChanGailey, & even Dave Campo would probably have been fine coaches if they had their own backbone, or went to another team.

But hey, Texas is a big state, and it's got room for another Big Football Franchise. Eventually I do believe that we will outshine Dallas, but not because they suck, but because we are better.

dalemurphy
10-24-2006, 10:22 AM
As far as the draft goes..... Dallas has so much talent, that they had to let good players go to keep their rookies. We didn't..... hopefully we'll have that problem in a couple of years.

And while I can understand why some folks don't like JerryJones, I happen to like him. He's not as obnoxious as DanSnyder trying to buy a SuperBowl. He's given us TroyAikman, EmmitSmith, MichaelIrvin, JayNovachek, Larry Allen, Charles Haley, RoyWilliams, DatNguyen, and a three SuperBowl rings to Texas.

Sure, JimmyJohnson had a lot to do with bringing those players into Texas.... but it was JerryJones that brought Jimmy.. & it was the two of them working together that Accomplished what they accomplished.

I just wish JJ was better at bringing coaches into Dallas. Actually, I think BarrySwitzer, ChanGailey, & even Dave Campo would probably have been fine coaches if they had their own backbone, or went to another team.

But hey, Texas is a big state, and it's got room for another Big Football Franchise. Eventually I do believe that we will outshine Dallas, but not because they suck, but because we are better.

The problem with Jones is that since he fired Jimmy, he's determined to entrench himself as the defacto GM. Until that point, he was a very good owner. Now, he's a nightmare. Roy Williams is a good, not great player drafted in the high first round. Since the Larry Allen selection in the second round of the '94 draft, the Cowboys' draft record has been abysmal. I thnk the '05 draft was solid-with guys like Barber, Spears, Canty and Ware.

However, instead of fortifying the glaring weakness this offseason, OL, Jerry made the big splash signing of T.O... Dumb move!!! It's systematic of what is wrong with that organization and why it won't succeed. Do you think Parcells wanted T.O. or any big name Wr instead of OL help?

The Cowboys have won one playoff game in the past 10 years. Difficult to defend a record like that. I'm not saying that our organization has been better than the Cowboys, only that it is now and will be the next few years- at least!

thunderkyss
10-24-2006, 11:07 AM
The problem with Jones is that since he fired Jimmy, he's determined to entrench himself as the defacto GM. Until that point, he was a very good owner. Now, he's a nightmare. Roy Williams is a good, not great player drafted in the high first round. Since the Larry Allen selection in the second round of the '94 draft, the Cowboys' draft record has been abysmal. I thnk the '05 draft was solid-with guys like Barber, Spears, Canty and Ware.

The problem with JJ & JJ, was that neither wanted to share the credit for putting that team together.

Even with JimmyJohnson, Jerry was the GM, he has been since he bought the franchise. If I were the owner, I doubt I would be much different than Jerry Jones. It's cool to think that we know more about football than someone like JerryJones, but in truth that's just ridiculous..... He's got us beat so far as experience goes. We might have played a little QB in pop Warner or whatever, but he fielded a superbowl Dynasty, and drafted several players who will be in the Hall of Fame.

Of course he's missed on several draft picks, but who hasn't?? with the Help of Bill Parcells, he's rebuilt his franchise, and has them poised to make a serious playoff run in three years....

His problem as far as I'm concerned, is not letting the coaches coach. I don't have a problem with T.O. or keyshawn, or even Quincy Carter. I don't have a problem with an owner telling a coach, I hired you, because I want this kind of team, or that kind of team. that should be expected. But after that, he should let the coaches coach.

However, instead of fortifying the glaring weakness this offseason, OL, Jerry made the big splash signing of T.O... Dumb move!!! It's systematic of what is wrong with that organization and why it won't succeed. Do you think Parcells wanted T.O. or any big name Wr instead of OL help?

I don't know why the let Petitti go...... he started 16 games as a rookie I think, and held his own pretty good against some stout competition. He was playing RT, and was supposed to eventually make the switch to LT, and replace Flo in the future..........

They picked up Columbo last year, with the intention of letting him heal for a full year, and hopefully revitallize his young career at RT. Then they picked up Fabini from the Jets, and Kosier from Detroit. Rivera was a FA pickup last year, and AndreGurode has taken over as the starting Center.

On the Field, T.O. makes any team better. Off the field, the media hype has got you brainwashed....... think about it. They aren't right about anything they say about the Texans, but they know what's what with T.O. & the locker room??

Let me ask you this. Where is Mooch?? has he done anything in the NFL with or without Owens?? How bout Garcia....... he ever get to the ProBowl without T.O.?? How 'bout earn a starting job for a team not coached by Mariuchi?? T.O. didn't tear that team apart, Mooch's stubbornness & his internal Quarrell with Walsh tore it apart..... T.O. was caught in the middle. But the Media doesn't want you to see it that way.

The Cowboys have won one playoff game in the past 10 years. Difficult to defend a record like that. I'm not saying that our organization has been better than the Cowboys, only that it is now and will be the next few years- at least!

FA has changed the way a lot of teams approach the game of football. Some teams did well managing FA & the salary cap.... Baltimore, Denver, NewEngland..... Some teams haven't SF, GB, DAllas, KC...... etc.

jaayteetx
10-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Actually, we finished with a better record than Dallas two years ago if I"me not mistaken. We were 7-9, they were 6-10. Too bad we couldn't beat them this year, though. Oh well, we'll have to settle for being the better team in the long run!

Mr. White
10-24-2006, 11:42 AM

The Cowboys have always been my favorite NFC team, but this is exactly the reason why I'm not rooting for the Cowboys this year. And I probably won't be as long as 81 is on the roster.

They already had a good receiver in Keyshawn Johnson. More importantly, a better guy in the locker room. No way in hell Parcells wanted this soap opera.

I think Parcells is just marking time now until his contract's up.

infantrycak
10-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Even with JimmyJohnson, Jerry was the GM, he has been since he bought the franchise.

Jimmy Johnson made the draft trades and picks during his tenure, not Jerry Jones.

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Well, I know I'm chosing a very opportune time to bring this up but let's do it anyway. First, I'd like to thank Chris Palmer for his protection schemes. He has worked the same magic in Dallas that he did here. I think it's clear that starting in 2007, the Texans, for the first time in franchise history will be the better Texas team. Our organization seems to have turned a corner while the Cowboys are beginning to unravel...

1. 2006 draft: The Texans had somewhere between a good and exceptional draft- time will tell. As much being made of the Mario pick (which is looking pretty good), Demeco Ryans and Charles Spencer (if he recovers) are both potentially perennial probowlers starting next year. Owen Daniels is at least a solid pick. Moulds was a great acquisition (5th round). Lundy, at the least, will be a solid and inexpensive backup for the next 4 years. Meanwhile, the Cowboys picked Carpenter (15 spots ahead of Ryans), who can't even make the gameday roster. In the second, they took an overhyped Fasano and let a very good TE (Dan Campbell) go to make room. Early results aren't too good for Pat Watkins either and they didn't address their old rickety offensive line until the 7th round where they are relying on an aging Flozell Adams and old Marco Rivera and a injury-riddled Mark Colombo.

2. Front office: The Texans now have a GM and a coach who share the same vision and will work together very well. Dallas has Jerry Jones!

3. Coaching: While I'm not ready to put Kubes in the Parcell's class, he looks to be a good one. Meanwhile, Chris Palmer is the O.C. in Big D and Parcells is prepping his retirement speech.

4. QB: We have one and they don't!

5. Youth: Most of our talent is on this side of 30. While Dallas has some good young defensive players, much of their money and talent is an over 30 gang (Flozell, Rivera, TO, TGlenn, GEllis)

6. OL: Wow! how about this, huh. We have Spencer, Pitts, Flanagan, Weary, Winston and a staff who understands protection. Dallas may have nobody starting for them who will be there in 2 years.

7. Winning plan: I could've made this part of the Front Office but 7 is better than 6... The Texans have a vision and a plan and everyone is on the same page working to it. We're going to build a strong line on both sides of the ball- run the ball, stretch the field horizontally and vertically, use the athleticism of our QB. Dallas is about to hunt for new head coach and staff. Meanwhile, Jerry will do his thing regardless of who comes in (ex. Terrell Owens, Mike Vanderjagt, ignoring the Oline)

It's going to be a fun ride the next few years!

So you guys play really well against a banged up Jax team and suddenly you're better than the team you lost to 34-6 at home the week before? ....

joedinkle
10-24-2006, 12:41 PM
So you guys play really well against a banged up Jax team and suddenly you're better than the team you lost to 34-6 at home the week before? ....

We're seeing through the eyes of fans. Let us enjoy it while we're winning.

jaayteetx
10-24-2006, 12:45 PM

Actually, we played them on the road but whose keeping track? I for one am not saying we're better than the Cowboys, right now, but in the long run, you betcha we will be! The Cowboys will be a mess by the end of the year and you can blame it all on team chemistry. Or lack of good qb play, take your pick.

Pantherstang84
10-24-2006, 12:59 PM

LOL. Only a true Bud Adams disciple can make that leap. The poster was talking about future potential. Is there any doubt that the wheels are starting to fall off in Dallas?

We Houston fans see great promise for the future in our franchise. That's all the person was saying.

BTW...Has Bud led you folks up there to the promised land like he promised?

No. We won't take him back!

whiskeyrbl
10-24-2006, 01:12 PM

And y'all are so good you beat the bottom feeding Redskins, Nice. And by the way if I remember Jax beat the Cowpatties.

run-david-run
10-24-2006, 03:43 PM
And y'all are so good you beat the bottom feeding Redskins, Nice. And by the way if I remember Jax beat the Cowpatties.
And the bottom-feaders beat us...whoops.

Wordem
10-24-2006, 06:21 PM
The Texans are one of the laughingstocks of the NFL, a la the New Orleans Saints. The Cowboys . . . not so much.

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-24-2006, 06:29 PM
BTW...Has Bud led you folks up there to the promised land like he promised?

Yes, Super Bowl in 2000. Any more questions?

michaelm
10-24-2006, 06:30 PM
The Texans are one of the laughingstocks of the NFL, a la the New Orleans Saints. The Cowboys . . . not so much.

Yes, but the pendulum is swinging the other way, and all cowgirls will have to pay for the sins of the of their fathers, and their Miss Jane Hathaway from the Beverly Hillbillies looking owner... Miss Jane is a complete egomaniac who is destroying the only thing that defines a cowpatties life... enjoy your quarterback controversy and 10 more years without the playoffs...

oh, and also enjoy your offseason hunt for a new head coach...

michaelm
10-24-2006, 06:31 PM

Yes, don't you wish NFL football fields were 99 yards long?

Pantherstang84
10-24-2006, 06:53 PM

Where's the ring?

What happened the next year?

That's right the Oilers were dismantled in the typical Bud "I can't let this team win" Adams style.

TexansSeminole
10-24-2006, 07:00 PM

I don't think Parcells wanted T.O. but I see T.O. staying in Dallas for a few years. I know its kind of betting against history but I don't think he will be as much of a distraction as he has been in the past.

dalemurphy
10-24-2006, 07:53 PM
I don't think Parcells wanted T.O. but I see T.O. staying in Dallas for a few years. I know its kind of betting against history but I don't think he will be as much of a distraction as he has been in the past.

Let's assume he's not a distraction. Name some teams with bad QB play, good WRs, and a bad offensive line that win...

hmm...

Arizona?
Detroit?
Cleveland?
Oakland?

Erratic Assassin
10-24-2006, 08:14 PM
I think it's clear that starting in 2007, the Texans, for the first time in franchise history will be the better Texas team. Our organization seems to have turned a corner while the Cowboys are beginning to unravel...

We were better than the Cowboys the day we beat them 19-10. The Cowboys were on a downward spiral the moment they lost to an expansion team playing their first game ever. I thought we had nowhere to go but up after that first game. We were supposed to be on an upward spiral while the Cowboys were supposed to be on a downward spiral.

The opposite happened. The Cowboys got better over the next 4 years and we actually got worse. I still can't believe that we won half as many games last year as we did our expansion year.

Second Honeymoon
10-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Jerry Jones is a lot of things, but one thing he isn't, and that is a bad owner. He probably knows more about football than any owner this side of Rooney, Richardson, and A.Davis. Should he be GM? Hell no, and it has showed but he knows football. The guy played Division I college football at Arkansas.....

He has tried to field a championship product for Dallas and in recent years has come up short just like 31 other owners do every year. Oh, and if it wasn't for Jerry Jones there would be no Houston Texans, so throw the dude a freakin bone....

Right now the Cowboys are still better than the Texans and it was proven quite convincingly on the field 2 weeks ago. As Texans fans, we just need to realize that our team is on more of an upward trajectory with the young talent and new regime we are beginning here. Until then we can be the red headed stepchild of the NFL in Texas....but that will change one day and that I am sure of.

Doug From The Woodlands

Wolf
10-24-2006, 08:52 PM
personally I could care less about Dallas, they are in the NFC.. they have their own things to worry about. meanwhile.. we have Colts,Jags,Titans to worry about.. we overcome them that lets talk about Dallas.. and as far as this season.. our defense has many holes..a team (playoff or not) just doesn't get blown out in games against playoff calliber teams, and we have...just shouldn't happen a few times in the NFL on the league of "parity"

I am willing to chalk up the first few games as games that we are learning a new scheme and that is why we were over matched (along with rookie DC)

Wolf
10-24-2006, 09:19 PM
well I think people on their second honeymoon suck ;)

hey gotta make a joke to break the tension.

edo783
10-24-2006, 09:49 PM
My guess would be that there is a time out in the future for someone.

ATX_Texan
10-24-2006, 09:57 PM
The biggest difference between these organizations is that the Cowboys have been, and always will be, the media's darlings. Much like Notre Dame, the Lakers and the Yankees, the media will endlessly fawn over this team. They will always be over exposed, over analyzed and over rated. Add in J Jones, Parcells, and TO with their constant need to be in front of the cameras and you have the perfect reality TV for networks like ESPN that value style over any substance (especially if you yell and act like a complete jackazz).

I found it highly amusing that ESPN spent most of sports center talking about the Dallas MNF debacle and at no time did they mention almost anything at all about the Giants. The Giants whipped them all over the field and ESPN failed to even acknowledge their existence. Instead, it was all about TO. What a complete joke.

I am very disappointed in the Texans this year. But the reality is that thanks to Casserly and Capers this team is basically starting over again. I was happy with the effort against the Jaguars. I am willing to give Kubiak a little more time to clean up the mess that C&C left behind.

The Pencil Neck
10-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Racist? Oh, so red headed people are now their own race?

As a normal person married to a red head, let me say, Yes. Red heads are a totally different race.

Thank you for asking.

StarStruck
10-24-2006, 10:37 PM
The biggest difference between these organizations is that the Cowboys have been, and always will be, the media's darlings. Much like Notre Dame, the Lakers and the Yankees, the media will endlessly fawn over this team. They will always be over exposed, over analyzed and over rated. Add in J Jones, Parcells, and TO with their constant need to be in front of the cameras and you have the perfect reality TV for networks like ESPN that value style over any substance (especially if you yell and act like a complete jackazz).

I found it highly amusing that ESPN spent most of sports center talking about the Dallas MNF debacle and at no time did they mention almost anything at all about the Giants. The Giants whipped them all over the field and ESPN failed to even acknowledge their existence. Instead, it was all about TO. What a complete joke.

I am very disappointed in the Texans this year. But the reality is that thanks to Casserly and Capers this team is basically starting over again. I was happy with the effort against the Jaguars. I am willing to give Kubiak a little more time to clean up the mess that C&C left behind.

If the Texans were getting the same amount of coverage and popularity or more, how many Texans fans can truthfully say that they would be offended?

infantrycak
10-24-2006, 10:37 PM
Good lord--everyone chill the heck out.

And for the record I have a red-headed wife.

michaelm
10-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Good lord--everyone chill the heck out.

Yeah, but is she a step-child?

infantrycak
10-25-2006, 08:37 AM
Yeah, but is she a step-child?

She is to her step father.

edo783
10-25-2006, 09:17 AM

My condolences! Have you had to learn to duck?:yikes:

HOU-TEX
10-25-2006, 09:21 AM
She is to her step father.

I'm married to a red head as well. She does have a step-father. I wouldn't neccessarly call them a different race but they darn sure have different personalities. Fiery sonsaguns!!

infantrycak
10-25-2006, 09:30 AM
My condolences! Have you had to learn to duck?:yikes:

I have learned to anticipate when to chuck the comment and run.

Actually I am not sure she is a full blooded redhead--she rarely bites.

BigDTexansFan
10-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Kind of related...

Since the Cowboys are the first team that I ever watched rebuild from 1 win to multiple Super Bowls, theirs is the blueprint that I always look to when a team rebuilds.

It would be tough for any team to build like they did since the salary cap didn't exist back then. They also had the Herschel Walker trade...I doubt something like that'll ever happen again.

you forget the man who is a god to Dallas Cowboys fans...Jimmy Johnson

BigDTexansFan
10-26-2006, 06:12 PM
To be fair, Dallas' OLine is just as new as ours. Parcells has put alot of time into Gurard, and it's starting to show in JJs stats. Flozell only played 6 games last year, and Kosier is brand new, and as a pulling gaurd, he looks pretty Sharp. Columbo is also a new addition, and his mistakes look to be more mental, not up to speed with the rest of the team, but he'll get there.

Just as our line is learning how to work together in our system, so is theirs, and unlike a bad OL, it's going to get better as the year goes on.

It's not a popular opinion, but I think Bledsoe is an older Version of David Carr. & while that might sound like an insult to some, I really like Bledsoe.

Thunderkyss, put down that BLUE kool-aid..it does you no good and only messes up your mind...daily I see poor souls strung out on BLUE kool-aid..they keep repeating Super Bowl 2006 and other ludicrous slogans....Dallas's has NO OFFENSIVE LINE, hell go to near bar pick 5 stools you have abetter cxhance of protecting your QB then Dallas does.

BigDTexansFan
10-26-2006, 06:13 PM

TOO LATE:shoot: