PDA

View Full Version : Grading the Texans

Goldeagle
10-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Quarterback: A Carr had a great game. He found the open receiver, checked down when needed, and even though he had a few drops they were not his fault.

Running Backs: B Lundy and Gado did a good job today against an injured Jags team. They dropped a couple of passes, but a good game for sure. (Heh, Lundy has 1 more rushing TD than Bush)

Wide Receivers: A found open spots, Kevin Walter showed up (Finally) and AJ went for the ball 2 on 1 and WON (as quite a few of us wanted). Great game, and congrats to Moulds for 700

Tight Ends: B Good job on blocking and getting open

O-line: A Nice to see Weary and Pitts get some push finally. Weigert still looked shaky, but no miserable sacks (yes some, its gonna happen), but I was finally impressed with the push.

D-Line: C I saw very little pressure today and I think they got beat off the line by the Jags O-line

Linebackers: B+ Finally the other 2 LBs showed up with Demeco. Easy yards on the ground still

Defensive Backs: A Outstanding coverage, made plays, created, just Brilliant play from them!

Coaching: B Did not like some calls, they seem to go WAY Conservative in the 3rd, but a good day for Kubiak and Smith.

NEROtheZERO
10-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Very little pressure? Peak had a FF and there were numerous pressues and batted passes. The Dline looked great today.

Goldeagle
10-22-2006, 06:44 PM
So you give them a B??? A???

NEROtheZERO
10-22-2006, 06:51 PM
I guess I would give them a B. A few more sacks and they get an A, but they did their job and they did it well.

run-david-run
10-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Saw Leftwhich on his back after many a play, the D-line did well, but not spectacular (no sacks). All in all, very good play, and nice to see Shante Orr show up.

NEROtheZERO
10-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Saw Leftwhich on his back after many a play, the D-line did well, but not spectacular (no sacks). All in all, very good play, and nice to see Shante Orr show up.

1 sack.

run-david-run
10-22-2006, 07:12 PM
1 sack.

lol, Mario's "sack"...not exactly a good example of pressure from the defensive line on that play...

whiskeyrbl
10-22-2006, 07:18 PM
I give the TEAM an overall B,and it was fun watching them have fun. The hard hits are worth the price of the tickets . Still a lil' conservative at times,but a win is a win...

Sco-tai
10-22-2006, 07:46 PM
QB : Carr managed the game VERY VERY well. Being almost 1/2 into the season...I think it's safe to say he's having a legit GOOD YEAR. A

RB : Lundy looked very impressive. Good moves and quickness. Gado had atleast 2 drops in the receiving dept. I'd say stick with Lundy for at least the next 3 - 4 games as the starter...see if it was a fluke or not. B

TE : Good catches & blocks. B+

WR : Great catches and YAC's. Mould's blocking very well. Good to see WALTER having some impact. A

O-Line : Improved. Getting some push. B

D-Line : Still average...but having PEEK back is tremedous. C+

LB : Average...with exception to the Rookie-of-the-Year, Mr. RYANS! C+

DB : Average...but did have their best game of the year. Let's be honest though...JAGS dropped SEVERAL catches...having little to do with our performance. C+

Special Teams : Besides the missed field goal, we did good. Great coverage on kick offs/punts. B+

COACHING : Although I was one of those who wanted us to go for it in the 3rd Quarter when we had a 4th and 1, I must admit I was wrong. Had we NOT made it...I have a feeling we could have really messed up. Kudos for focusing on LUNDY more in the second half. B+

CROWD : I mean....we ACTUALLY did a WAVE!!!! haha....that's an automatic A in my book! Hehhe

OVERALL : W.......so who cares! hehe

CONGRATS TEXANS!!!

texflex513
10-22-2006, 07:53 PM
lol, Mario's "sack"...not exactly a good example of pressure from the defensive line on that play...
i will take that sack im sure some of the great pass rushers have freebies somewhere in their stats.

texflex513
10-22-2006, 07:55 PM
Overall total team effort for most of the game. The 3rd was kinda scary but our guys responded well I will give the team an A for the W.

NEROtheZERO
10-22-2006, 08:08 PM

I didn't use it as one but to say that we had no sacks is erroneous.

edo783
10-22-2006, 08:17 PM
There really weren't any sacks by the D-lines today. Both QBs clutzed it up and someone fell on them while they were already down. Counts, but they were both pretty cheap.

TexanLen
10-22-2006, 08:27 PM
All in all, the team had a very good game. "A" as an entire unit. They played their arse off the whole game and they didn't let up when i think every texan fan said "here we go again" when Jax scored and then we went 3 and out. Good job, Texans!!!

Goldeagle
10-22-2006, 08:53 PM
RB : Lundy looked very impressive. Good moves and quickness. Gado had atleast 2 drops in the receiving dept. I'd say stick with Lundy for at least the next 3 - 4 games as the starter...see if it was a fluke or not. B

I agree, lets see what Lundy can give us and if we need to throw in Gado for a "rest" or change of pace do so. Lets see if it is not a fluke.

threetoedpete
10-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Think you're being a little hard on Weigert. The guy is a right tackel. And he's playing hurt. And he has a decent cap freindly contract. I thought the line as a whole earned their pay today. Thought Pitts and the grey beard on the left side were most excellent. Props to Cook for the fine I-so block on the long Lundy runs .

whiskeyrbl
10-22-2006, 11:26 PM
i will take that sack im sure some of the great pass rushers have freebies somewhere in their stats.

ala Strahan and Favre:yikes:

Texans Horror
10-23-2006, 09:12 AM
What I liked is seeing the Texans dominate a game, rather than stumble into a win. No offense, but our last three wins against Cleveland, Arizona, and Miami all felt like somebody had to win it and not so much that the Texans were going to take the game. Yesterday, it felt like the team went out there shooting for a win and got it. They outplayed and outcoached the Jags. I give them an A for the upset win. Now if they can keep their momentum going against Tennessee...

Kaiser Toro
10-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Our 53 were better than their 53. The team does not need a grade as they got the win. Tennessee is next and we will need all 53 players to contribute again.

Texans Horror
10-23-2006, 09:38 AM
The Texans have everything they need to be a play-off contention team. They have some great players. Individual stats alone shows that. They have the right schemes and coaches in place. They have just needed cohesion, and it is good to see that happening. There is no reason they can't beat any team on any Sunday.

HOU-TEX
10-23-2006, 09:45 AM
The Texans have everything they need to be a play-off contention team. They have some great players. Individual stats alone shows that. They have the right schemes and coaches in place. They have just needed cohesion, and it is good to see that happening. There is no reason they can't beat any team on any Sunday.

They have yet to show this on a weekly basis. Let's see how the next 3weeks pan out before we mention the playoffs and Texans in the same sentence.:redtowel:

We had a great game! I love the fact the running game is starting to emerge with Gado and Lundy. IMO, we still need to get better. There were several players that stepped up today. So I'll just say, it was an excellent team win.:whip:

SESupergenius
10-23-2006, 11:48 AM
I was impressed with Orr more today than Peek. I guess he's feeling the pressure from Wong coming back because he played with some ferocity not seen in previous games. Safe to say that our strong safety positions seems to be better with Simmons in, maybe we can keep that for a little while to see.

I don't know if anyone noticed today, but the defense seemed to be disguising their looks more this game as well. I saw all 3 linebackers come up to the line and act like they were blitzing and the fall back into a zone. That looked exactly like a great defense, hiding their schemes and mixing things up. I hope that continues.

NEROtheZERO
10-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Kneejerks, stop it.

After a loss you talk of us as the worst franchise in the NFL and after a win we are a playoff caliber team. Neither of these are right, and as always, the truth lies in the middle. We are a team coming off of a 2-14 season learning a new system with a good new coaching staff working on getting players to fit the system. We are a year or two from being a playoff quality team, temper your expectations.

real
10-23-2006, 01:34 PM
After a loss you talk of us as the worst franchise in the NFL and after a win we are a playoff caliber team.

I don't know if we are play-off "caliber"....But i think we have a shot...We are one game out of second place right ???

I think if we catch some more breaks we can possibly make it..

Texans Horror
10-23-2006, 01:43 PM

They have yet to show this on a weekly basis. Let's see how the next 3weeks pan out before we mention the playoffs and Texans in the same sentence.:redtowel:

Kneejerks, stop it.

After a loss you talk of us as the worst franchise in the NFL and after a win we are a playoff caliber team. Neither of these are right, and as always, the truth lies in the middle. We are a team coming off of a 2-14 season learning a new system with a good new coaching staff working on getting players to fit the system. We are a year or two from being a playoff quality team, temper your expectations.

Woa, woa, woa. Time out. I'm not saying what I mean, so let me be clear on this. I don't expect them to go to the play-offs. I'm sticking to my 5 or 6 wins prediction, and that's it. But on the other hand, every year we have given up loads of excuses for why this team can't win, almost all of it based on the talent and the coaching. This year, the Texans have both. They have upgraded in every aspect of the game, including coaches, and have several budding stars on the team. There is no reason they should not beat any team they play, and that makes them a play-off contender. There is no excuse. I know they need cohesion and to learn the system, but at this point, I expect them to play to win. Any loss they get, there is no excuse for. They didn't play to their potential (and I don't think they will, which is what will keep them in the middle of the pack this year).

But I don't think any less should be expected of them. In fact, I think expecting less from these players is partly to blame for the losses. They were always "in progress" and in a "building phase." I've had enough of that. Building is over. They need to play ball.

Capster67
10-23-2006, 04:16 PM
I haven't seen a lot of talk about the special teams. I would give them a C. I know that given Brown's spotty performance (missing the 38 yarder) he will end up costing us at least one game this year. Stanley is - at best - average. I was also frustrated by some of the return coverage (i.e. the player missing the tackle at the 15 yard line and allowing them to get to the 30 yard line to begin the second half). To me its little things like that (i.e. field position) that could keep us from challenging down the stretch. I was thrilled, however, with the overall performance of the team yesterday. If the weak link is our special teams in week 7, then we are doing okay!