PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Walter interview on 610

Cjeremy635
10-18-2006, 09:46 AM
OK guys, let me try to shed a positive spin on the current situation. Yesterday afternoon, at 5:00, I had to drive downtown to the Medical Center. I was listening to 610 and they interviewed Kevin Walter for the good part of an hour. Anyways, this guy is really positive that this team can turn it around. He said the main issue at hand is that we need to be more physical during the game. Everyone from the wide receivers, linemen, CB's, everyone. He then went on to make comparisons to us and the Bengals, where he came from. I thought it was interesting to note that when he got there, it was the year than Marvin Lewis arrived. They were just coming off a 2-14 season (sound familiar) and had started out 1-4 (sound familiar). They finished that year 8-8 and they weren't any more talented than what we are at this point. I liked his enthusiasm and I think it will help this team stay positive through this learning curve. He said that we needed to run the ball more effectively (we know that) and that we need to impose our will on other teams and do what we do best. He said that Kubiak is a great coach and he jumped on the opportunity to come and play with him. He also said that Coach Kubes is also saying that we need to be more physical and hit teams in the mouth. He sees us ending up 8-8 as well and thinks we will get better as this team learns to play together. That's all I can remember at this point. :yawn:

Malloy
10-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Interesting, thanks for the sum-up of the interview.

I hope he's right, if it's "solely" an attitute problem, then that's "something" that CAN be turned around fast, without 2 more drafts :)

powerfuldragon
10-18-2006, 10:02 AM
First off, good post, but i'm sorry, but we're not the Bengals, and we're certainly not going 8 - 8. 6 - 10 at best.
He's right about it being an attitude issue, but i think the coaches should have dealt with it during training camp.:twocents:

nunusguy
10-18-2006, 10:05 AM
Under the circumstances, I admire the guy for staying positive.

NEROtheZERO
10-18-2006, 10:06 AM
I don't think we're a 500 team but I still think we can be 6-10. I am still looking for a strong second half and a 4 game winning streak in there.

Our defense has improved through the season, our line is looking better, and Carr is having a career year. I think our main focus now should be the running game, from there everything else will be looking ten times better.

Cjeremy635
First off, good post, but i'm sorry, but we're not the Bengals, and we're certainly not going 8 - 8. 6 - 10 at best.
He's right about it being an attitude issue, but i think the coaches should have dealt with it during training camp.:twocents:

Well, yes and no. Not the Bengals of today, but maybe the Bengals of 2 years ago. Everyone knows that we are not as bad as 2-14 last year or this year. There are just some attitude issues more so than talent that could do wonders for this team. A new coach will hopefully bring a new swagger which we have not had in the past few years.

Cjeremy635
Under the circumstances, I admire the guy for staying positive.

You and me both.

powerfuldragon
10-18-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm looking forward to the cuts this upcoming offseason.

Runner
10-18-2006, 10:09 AM
He said the main issue at hand is that we need to be more physical during the game. Everyone from the wide receivers, linemen, CB's, everyone.

Easily said - less easily done. If true and the coaches are pushing it this can be something to look for as an attitude check. We'll see what develops.

I'm looking forward to the cuts this upcoming offseason.

Only if the cuts are replaced by better players. I'm not sure that is a safe assumption given the Texans history of evaluating talent., including this year.

Malloy
10-18-2006, 10:12 AM

The way I understand it, Walters is just referring to the Bungals as an example of possible turn-arounds, not that we'll have the exact same record as them.

He points to the fact that our lack-of-success are alike that of the Bungals, and that turn-arounds are possible.

MightyTExan
10-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Did he mention being on "Jacked-Up"? That was a nasty hit.

powerfuldragon
10-18-2006, 10:22 AM
The way I understand it, Walters is just referring to the Bungals as an example of possible turn-arounds, not that we'll have the exact same record as them.

He points to the fact that our lack-of-success are alike that of the Bungals, and that turn-arounds are possible.

right. i'm saying that we're not going to turn around as quickly as they did.

Cjeremy635
10-18-2006, 10:37 AM
Did he mention being on "Jacked-Up"? That was a nasty hit.

LOL, yeah he did. He said that it's part of the game and if you're gonna get hit, there's nothing wrong with getting hit by Roy Williams. It was a good segment. He said he was rooting for Chicago to win that game against Arizona (MNF) because he is from there and has always cheered for them. He talked about rooting for the Cubs as well and how much fun Wrigley Field is.

Lucky
10-18-2006, 10:51 AM
He also said that Coach Kubes is also saying that we need to be more physical and hit teams in the mouth.
It would have been nice to see the Texans respond to those early facemasks and the hit Carr took while sliding. Stand up for yourselves.

Cjeremy635
10-18-2006, 10:56 AM
It would have been nice to see the Texans respond to those early facemasks and the hit Carr took while sliding. Stand up for yourselves.

I agree to an extent. Not bonehead penalties like the one TJ had, but maybe if there was a blatant attack I would not have a problem with retaliation, as long as it doesn't end up like the Miami college team fight. Did you see that? What was up with the guy who hit someone with his helmet and then looked for a way out to run afterwards? I laughed my butt off while I replayed it again & again in slow motion. That incident was a little extreme to say the least, but I would like to see us be a team that takes crap from no one.

HOU-TEX
10-18-2006, 11:02 AM
I agree to an extent. Not bonehead penalties like the one TJ had, but maybe if there was a blatant attack I would not have a problem with retaliation, as long as it doesn't end up like the Miami college team fight. Did you see that? What was up with the guy who hit someone with his helmet and then looked for a way out to run afterwards? I laughed my butt off while I replayed it again & again in slow motion. That incident was a little extreme to say the least, but I would like to see us be a team that takes crap from no one.

Is this the penalty on the field goal attempt? If it was, it was more the other Johnsons fault than TJ. IIRC, TJ went over the center, which was a penalty. The tattoo Johnson followed him while kneeing the center in the neck area, which I think was more of a penalty.

Cjeremy635
10-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Is this the penalty on the field goal attempt? If it was, it was more the other Johnsons fault than TJ. IIRC, TJ went over the center, which was a penalty. The tattoo Johnson followed him while kneeing the center in the neck area, which I think was more of a penalty.

You are correct, I stand corrected. After you brought that up I remembered exactly what happened. :ok:

Mr. White
10-18-2006, 11:27 AM

I think I know what Lucky is saying here. Not looking for an all-out brawl, but somebody to get up in the offenders grille. Shove him. Even throw a punch. Basically just show some attitude.

(Notice that I said a punch...singular. The refs never catch the first punch anyway. If the guy hits you back, then that's the one the refs see and penalize.)

For some reason, I can't help but think that the facemasks were coached on some level. Maybe not "let's facemask these guys when we tackle them," but "just rough 'em up a little when you tackle 'em."