PDA

View Full Version : New Quick top 10 mock

Pages : [1] 2

kastofsna
10-17-2006, 03:54 PM
just going by ESPN's power rankings here:

1: Oakland - Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech. porter is gone, moss is probably gone. al davis won't draft a QB. bring in johnson!
2: Green Bay - Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma. despite broken collarbone, he'll still go top 5.
3: Houston - Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal. i think he's better than peterson personally, and i think after a good season and combine, he'll go top 5 along with peterson. he fits kubiak's one-read RB system well, too.
4: Arizona - Joe Thomas, T, Wisconsin. pretty simple pick here. the line is awful and they need studs to improve it. leonard davis is an all-pro, but he may be moved soon.
5: Cleveland - Jared Gaither, T, Maryland. 2nd best offensive line prospect in the draft IMO. could be better in the long run than thomas.
6: Miami - Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame. pure BPA situation here. saban isn't stupid.
7: Tennessee - Daymeion Hughes, CB, Cal. already spent a top 10 pick on a CB, and they do it again here. reynaldo hill is really awful. hughes is the best DB in this draft IMO. that includes safeties.
8: Detroit - Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville. the matt millen era is hopefully over at this point, and mike martz gets a young gunslinger who learns fast and will do very well in his offense.
9: San Francisco - LaRon Landry, S, LSU. they're allowing 32 points a game this year. the offense looks good, but that defense is awful.
10: Buffalo - Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson. this is definitely a BPA situation, as adams is considered by most to be better than the #10 player selected in the draft. a very young defense gets younger...and better.

Reddevil63
10-17-2006, 04:07 PM
No way Oakland passes up on Brady Quinn

kastofsna
10-17-2006, 04:09 PM
oakland doesn't draft QB's in the first round. i said it this past draft, and i'll say it again. al davis won't do it. forget about it.

Errant Hothy
10-17-2006, 04:42 PM
No way Oakland passes up on Brady Quinn

If Oakland will take Huff over Leinart and Cutler, they will take Johnson over Quinn. Why are some so suprised by this?

Goldeagle
10-17-2006, 04:49 PM
I think Quinn will go to the Radiers. If we cant get Peterson, trade down and gete Merryweather from Miami. He can play Safety and step on people :)

HomeBred_Texan
10-17-2006, 05:21 PM
If Oakland will take Huff over Leinart and Cutler, they will take Johnson over Quinn. Why are some so suprised by this?

Because if Al Davis does it agian with there desperate need for a QB, he will have empty seats in the stadium...

Yea I know, everyone thinks he will pick up Kurt Warner from Arizona next year, but we will have to wait and see...

I agree though, Oakland will take a QB with first pick...

Errant Hothy
10-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Because if Al Davis does it agian with there desperate need for a QB, he will have empty seats in the stadium...

Yea I know, everyone thinks he will pick up Kurt Warner from Arizona next year, but we will have to wait and see...

Since when did Al Davis care about that? And when was the last time he drafted a QB in the first round?

And disn't we all hear this same line of reasoning last year about the QB position in Raider nation? And did they address it then?

kastofsna
10-17-2006, 05:28 PM
after the marinovich disaster, al davis proclaimed he would never draft a QB in the first round again. al davis is senile enough to draft a kicker in the first round, and he's certainly senile enough to go against the fans' wants and the team's needs and stick to his guns JUST BECAUSE his ego is that absurdly massive.

rmartin65
10-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Hey, just curious, why do you like Lynch so much? I have not been able to see him play alot, but I have noticed you are a huge advocate of him. Thanks for any info.

kastofsna
10-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Hey, just curious, why do you like Lynch so much? I have not been able to see him play alot, but I have noticed you are a huge advocate of him. Thanks for any info.
has good size, good speed, finds the whole and makes the quick decision and burst to get into the open field, outruns the defenders, has great escapability in the backfield even when the line breaks down...catches the ball well out of the backfield. he's perfect for houston. perfect.

HomeBred_Texan
10-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Since when did Al Davis care about that? And when was the last time he drafted a QB in the first round?

And disn't we all hear this same line of reasoning last year about the QB position in Raider nation? And did they address it then?

Al Davis thought he did, he brought in Aaron Brookes...

hot pickle
10-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Al Davis thought he did, he brought in Aaron Brookes...

lol, thats funny :whip:

YoungTexanFan
10-17-2006, 10:20 PM
5: Cleveland - Jared Gaither, T, Maryland. 2nd best offensive line prospect in the draft IMO. could be better in the long run than thomas.

That must burn your toast kastofsna

YoungTexanFan
10-17-2006, 10:22 PM
has good size, good speed, finds the whole and makes the quick decision and burst to get into the open field, outruns the defenders, has great escapability in the backfield even when the line breaks down...catches the ball well out of the backfield. he's perfect for houston. perfect.

You can't honestly expect steller combine numbers from Lynch? He is not a top 5 back, and neither is Peterson after his injury.

SF49erFaithful
10-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Hmmmm.......

Don't like the Hughes pick. I really would be very suprised to him go top 10. I am not even sure if he is a first rounder at this point.

As for the SF pick, I definitely hope it is a defensive prospect. I really don't know if it will be Landry, but I hope it is something that can help our defense out.

SF49erFaithful
10-17-2006, 10:26 PM
You can't honestly expect steller combine numbers from Lynch? He is not a top 5 back, and neither is Peterson after his injury.

All what Peterson did though is break a collarbone. It isn't like a torn ACL where it could really effect the rest of his career.

YoungTexanFan
10-17-2006, 10:29 PM
All what Peterson did though is break a collarbone. It isn't like a torn ACL where it could really effect the rest of his career.

Signed,
Carlos Rogers.

kastofsna
10-17-2006, 10:37 PM
they both are.
Don't like the Hughes pick. I really would be very suprised to him go top 10. I am not even sure if he is a first rounder at this point.
he's been DOMINANT this year. EASILY the best CB in this draft based on his play.
That must burn your toast kastofsna
what

YoungTexanFan
10-17-2006, 10:56 PM
what

That Gaither went just ahead of your team.

SF49erFaithful
10-17-2006, 11:02 PM
he's been DOMINANT this year. EASILY the best CB in this draft based on his play.

Yes he has been very productive but that is not what the draft is about. It is about potential. There are more than a few DB's with more potential than him and chances are guys like McCauley are gonna light it up at the combine and will warrant a higher pick that Hughes.

For example, there is Elvis Dumervil. He was super-productive in college but was never really considered to be a top-pick because his athleticism isn't all that great. That's kind of how I view Hughes.

HomeBred_Texan
10-17-2006, 11:05 PM

And right now no one knows for sure if he is coming out or staying another year at OK. He could stay to make his stock rise again and try for that trophy he so much wants. But I bet if his stock falls, it wont fall far... Still a top of the 1st round selection...

SF49erFaithful
10-17-2006, 11:08 PM
And right now no one knows for sure if he is coming out or staying another year at OK. He could stay to make his stock rise again and try for that trophy he so much wants. But I bet if his stock falls, it wont fall far... Still a top of the 1st round selection...

I believe he will declare this year since it is pretty certain he will be a very high pick.

kastofsna
10-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Yes he has been very productive but that is not what the draft is about. It is about potential. There are more than a few DB's with more potential than him and chances are guys like McCauley are gonna light it up at the combine and will warrant a higher pick that Hughes.

For example, there is Elvis Dumervil. He was super-productive in college but was never really considered to be a top-pick because his athleticism isn't all that great. That's kind of how I view Hughes.
except hughes has good size and speed. your argument is moot.
That Gaither went just ahead of your team.
i'll take quinn.

SF49erFaithful
10-17-2006, 11:30 PM
except hughes has good size and speed. your argument is moot.

He has pretty good size but I certainly wouldn't say he has that great of speed. Especially compared to the likes of McCauley.

YoungTexanFan
10-17-2006, 11:37 PM
I'm still going with Carson from Arizona St. at CB. Physical freak coming back from injury similar to the guy from FSU.

TexanSam
10-17-2006, 11:58 PM
I'm still going with Carson from Arizona St. at CB. Physical freak coming back from injury similar to the guy from FSU.

Cromartie? If so, the guy is talented.

Texas_Thrill
10-18-2006, 02:50 AM
Not sure why Green Bay would trade one OFT injured RB for another.

Ahman Green can't stay healthy so you bring in Peterson?

Its not even about Peterson's injury being serious its about the constant injuries he seems to have.

I don't think we pass on Thomas if the Texans run game doesn't get any better.

Landry is good but top 10....i'll pass.

I definitely agree with you on the Oakland scenario. I'm not sure the POINT of bringing in Calvin Johnson with nobody to throw him the ball but this is AL DAVIS we are talking about....HE IS THE POINT. lol

beerlover
10-18-2006, 04:50 AM
not sure if Jared Gaither LT for Maryland is eligible but if he is would be the perfect pick for the Texans. hey, we need to cut Mario some slack he is improving, in the end we will have a stud on the defensive line, the same can be said for the offensive line. the Texans still need a franchise LT & this guy could be the next Orlando Pace, 36" vertical & strong as an Ox, check it out-

http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gaither_jared01.html

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/08/21/PH2006082101528.jpg

threetoedpete
10-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Not sure why Green Bay would trade one OFT injured RB for another.

Ahman Green can't stay healthy so you bring in Peterson?

Its not even about Peterson's injury being serious its about the constant injuries he seems to have.

I don't think we pass on Thomas if the Texans run game doesn't get any better.
Landry is good but top 10....i'll pass.

I definitely agree with you on the Oakland scenario. I'm not sure the POINT of bringing in Calvin Johnson with nobody to throw him the ball but this is AL DAVIS we are talking about....HE IS THE POINT. lol

Yeah I'm in this boat. Still think Peterson will end up in New York. Calvin Johnson is definatly the prize. The guy is an awesome prospect. Won't argue with Lynch. Don't see Ladanian Tomlinson with him though. Didn't see him block very well in the game I watched. I got "danger will Robinson" all over Lynch.

Don't know about the rushing game. But if it was me I make damn sure I got Charles Spencer insurance comming out of this off season. My canidate is Gaines Adams or is it Adams Gains from Clemson. Just an awesome comeback last week. Know we got more pressing matters. Just seems that would be a heck of a tandem for the next eight years.

threetoedpete
10-18-2006, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=beerlover;472556]not sure if Jared Gaither LT for Maryland is eligible but if he is would be the perfect pick for the Texans. hey, we need to cut Mario some slack he is improving, in the end we will have a stud on the defensive line, the same can be said for the offensive line. the Texans still need a franchise LT & this guy could be the next Orlando Pace, 36" vertical & strong as an Ox, check it out-

Gaither sounds good to me. If Spencer comes back all the way, we'd have plug and play tackles for the next ten years. Then....we can draft the prety running backs.

Agreed with Mario. He figures the hands thingy out he is going to be awesome. I think the guy is so athletic, he could play middle linebacker.

YoungTexanFan
10-18-2006, 02:10 PM
not sure if Jared Gaither LT for Maryland is eligible but if he is would be the perfect pick for the Texans. hey, we need to cut Mario some slack he is improving, in the end we will have a stud on the defensive line, the same can be said for the offensive line. the Texans still need a franchise LT & this guy could be the next Orlando Pace, 36" vertical & strong as an Ox, check it out-

http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/08/21/PH2006082101528.jpg

I've been on his bandwagon since watching tapes of Vernon Davis last year. I just recently found out that he is indeed eligable for the NFL draft this year because he went to military school for a year, and will be 3 years removed from HS.

Now, this is a BIG 'ol boy. He can move with you though, and he has very long arms. He is about 330 I believe, but he is more athleticly gifted than Fergueson was last year or than Thomas is this year. He is the LT version of Mario athleticly, but he has already produced consistently and has yet to allow a sack.

I have been advocating picking him if he comes out for a while now, but glad to see you on board beerlover.

kastofsna
10-18-2006, 02:57 PM
yes, gaither is awesome.

beerlover
10-19-2006, 04:48 AM
I have been advocating picking him if he comes out for a while now, but glad to see you on board beerlover.

its about time then :redtowel: always enjoy your posts, very informative and acute. if Gaither's declares & the Texans are in position, I hope they take him. with all the talent & good coaching both lines should meet the league average if not slightly better & if you win the wars in the trenches thats at least half the battle. 2007 = .500 football. I'd take that:bananasplit:

YoungTexanFan
10-19-2006, 11:11 PM
its about time then :redtowel: always enjoy your posts, very informative and acute. if Gaither's declares & the Texans are in position, I hope they take him. with all the talent & good coaching both lines should meet the league average if not slightly better & if you win the wars in the trenches thats at least half the battle. 2007 = .500 football. I'd take that:bananasplit:

thank you. it seems as if you had taking a break from posting?

Here's to us starting a new bandwagon for Gaither if he declares.

Goldeagle
10-19-2006, 11:21 PM
You cant pass up Peterson for a lineman this year. You need an IMPACT RB from the draft (or trade/sign which would free up the draft)

You guys seem to think Charles Spencer was HORRIBLE at LT? I thought he played well for a Rookie and would only get better.

Id look for Guards in this draft later and go for Peterson with the #1

DRAFT:
1. Peterson
2. CB or Safety
3. Guard/ LB
4. CB/LB/Guard/Safety (to fill a need at these positions that you did not fill in round 2 or 3).
5-7. best player

run-david-run
10-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Its going to be interesting to see if we go for the skill positions or focus on the line. A lot of people say you have to establish your lines, and rightly so, but AJ is still our best player and we got him 3rd overall. Sometimes you have to draft the talent in the higher rounds and try to find linemen later on, as Denver has done (with linemen, not running backs)

kastofsna
10-19-2006, 11:35 PM
denver has gotten both their linemen and backs in later rounds.

YoungTexanFan
10-19-2006, 11:47 PM
You cant pass up Peterson for a lineman this year. You need an IMPACT RB from the draft (or trade/sign which would free up the draft)

You guys seem to think Charles Spencer was HORRIBLE at LT? I thought he played well for a Rookie and would only get better.

DRAFT:
1. Peterson
2. CB or Safety
3. Guard/ LB
4. CB/LB/Guard/Safety (to fill a need at these positions that you did not fill in round 2 or 3).
5-7. best player

I think it would be easy enough to pass up Peterson with the chance to draft Lynch, Ball, Bush, Wolfe and many others who will go in the 2-5th rounds.

I think the Texans will be hard pressed to pass on Gaither if he declares, and if he doesnt, how do you still pass up Joe Thomas? All for an injury prone, upright back?

YoungTexanFan
10-19-2006, 11:50 PM
denver has gotten both their linemen and backs in later rounds.

Yes, Denver has drafted both in later rounds, but only those RB's play roles initially. They started off with a very well developed line, drafted depth and developed it. They then plugged those "diamonds in the rough" guys into a system they already know and boom, sucess. They haven't just been throwing rookie, undersized TE's in to the game.

threetoedpete
10-20-2006, 01:48 AM

This is true. But what knocked out Charles Rodgers the first two seasons of his career ? But you spend a top five on a running back , he'd better be the real deal. In the Texas game, and I know the Texas DB's are fast, but when my top five pick back breaks into the clear, there shouldn't be a DB in the world who can bring him down. People running down All Day with a poor angle kinda put me off. He ain't Bo Jackson. And he ain't Earl Campbel . He's going to be a good pro no doubt. But you're getting a cleaner Lendale White. Not a HOFer. I'm not sure that's worth forty to fifty million. JMHO.

painekiller
10-20-2006, 02:19 AM
You guys have me looking LT at Gaither. I then move Spencer to RT, and Winston either becomes a guard or a very good backup.

I say Gaither, Pitts, Hodgdon, Winston, Spencer. What size and quickness these young guys would have. They could be beyond good in two to three years.

Or you go Posz, in the first and Justin Warren in the fourth. I am then done at LB and you decide what to do with the 2nd and 3rd picks.

Remember when Peek leaves for FA we get another 3rd.

threetoedpete
10-20-2006, 02:24 AM

DRAFT:
1. Peterson
2. CB or Safety
3. Guard/ LB
5-7. best player

I moved Cloak nnn daggers comments on Micheal Bush's broken leg back up from the well. In regards to Chares Spencer, I thought it was apt.

Spencer is the real deal. However, at this point no one knows exactly where his recovery will be next spring. If you don't go after a capable replacement, pass up the RB, you could be damning this team to back to back to back bottom five finishes. Salam is a capable back up to handle any two or three game steach when some one goes down. If Spencer doesn't make it all the way back...you're in trouble. You say All Day is soooo good he's going to elevate the offense line's play , like Earl Campbel did with the Oilers, to a respectable level. Is the Saints resrugence a funtion of Bush ? Or the function of McCallister & Breeze having a great comeback seasons ? What I'm saying, you're taking the best running back in a group of mediocre running backs. I don't know which RB they'll draft. But what I am certain of is the club willl get graeter value if they wait. He ain't Earl Campbel. He's a thirty touches a game power RB who should be in a Washington Redskins two tight end offense. I'm not sure he works in a zbs offense. So now along with All Day we're drafting another blocking TE, swithing to bigger interior lineman and basically scraping the offense Kubiak has used for twenty years. I don't think think that will happen. But hey I've been wrong befor.

threetoedpete
10-20-2006, 02:37 AM
You guys have me looking LT at Gaither. I then move Spencer to RT, and Winston either becomes a guard or a very good backup.

I say Gaither, Pitts, Hodgdon, Winston, Spencer. What size and quickness these young guys would have. They could be beyond good in two to three years.

Or you go Posz, in the first and Justin Warren in the fourth. I am then done at LB and you decide what to do with the 2nd and 3rd picks.

Remember when Peek leaves for FA we get another 3rd.

It doesn't matter. What does matter is that they have the peices in place that they can plug and play in the line to the point we don't have to worry about picking up a third and short. Or...Carr or whoever the quarterback is in the future, will have enough time to look for third and fourth options in a pattern without worrying about getting killed. We get the correct guy, it doesn't matter. The best five play. If Spencer does make it all the way back, nice problem to have as to which beast we play where. If you got an o-line, you can compete for the paly offs. I can wait a few years on Carter Wells of Ohio St. Plenty of Sopmores and Jrs this year who look very interesting. We fix the base it doesn't matter in the future who we take at the skill positions. Gotta have the foundation first. You build form the inside out. Can't argue with the defensive first guys. There is a terrible need there no doubt. Just seems to me with the guys who are on the board this year, the best value is at our o line need.

SF49erFaithful
10-20-2006, 02:47 AM
This is true. But what knocked out Charles Rodgers the first two seasons of his career ? But you spend a top five on a running back , he'd better be the real deal. In the Texas game, and I know the Texas DB's are fast, but when my top five pick back breaks into the clear, there shouldn't be a DB in the world who can bring him down. People running down All Day with a poor angle kinda put me off. He ain't Bo Jackson. And he ain't Earl Campbel . He's going to be a good pro no doubt. But you're getting a cleaner Lendale White. Not a HOFer. I'm not sure that's worth forty to fifty million. JMHO.

My point about the injury is that it shouldn't effect his speed or cutback ability.

As far as how he projects in the pros, the biggest thing I don't like about him is his height, which I believe is about 6'2.

I kind of disagree with your assesment on him though. I don't find him as this pure power-back you claim him to be.

threetoedpete
10-20-2006, 02:57 AM
He's getting run down by DBs...he's a power back. If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, it's a duck.

run-david-run
10-20-2006, 03:49 PM
He's getting run down by DBs...he's a power back. If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, it's a duck.

Umm...what DB's is he getting run down by?

kastofsna
10-21-2006, 06:48 PM
anyone watching cal vs. washington? marshawn lynch has two bad ankles and he's destroying everyone. silky smooth runner. best back in the nation.

ledzeppelin229
10-21-2006, 07:34 PM
they both are.

what

Yes he has been very productive but that is not what the draft is about. It is about potential.

Is that from the Charley Casserly school of drafting?

thunderkyss
10-21-2006, 07:48 PM

They need a QB as much as we need one. If they fix their OL, and give Andrew Walter some time, he can get the job done.

thunderkyss
10-21-2006, 07:53 PM
3: Houston - Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal. i think he's better than peterson personally, and i think after a good season and combine, he'll go top 5 along with peterson. he fits kubiak's one-read RB system well, too.

Again, with Lawrence Maroney, D'AngeloWilliams, & Jerious Norwood playing as well as they are, I doubt GKubiak will decide to draft a RB in the top five. Look for another DE, or a shutdown Corner.

Errant Hothy
10-22-2006, 11:37 AM
anyone watching cal vs. washington? marshawn lynch has two bad ankles and he's destroying everyone. silky smooth runner. best back in the nation.

He was flat out the most impressive player on the feild yesterday. The first play over OT should prove to everybody why he i sbetter then Peterson...He has a knack ofr stepping out of tackles, which is much easier on the body then trying to run everybody over.

kastofsna
10-22-2006, 12:47 PM
He was flat out the most impressive player on the feild yesterday. The first play over OT should prove to everybody why he i sbetter then Peterson...He has a knack ofr stepping out of tackles, which is much easier on the body then trying to run everybody over.
peterson can't make the moves lynch can. not at all.

kastofsna
10-23-2006, 10:52 AM
quick update:

1: Miami - Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame.
2: Oakland - Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech.
3: Arizona - Joe Thomas, T, Wisconsin.
4: Detroit - Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville.
5: Cleveland - Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma.
6: Tennessee - Daymeion Hughes, CB, Cal.
7: San Francisco - LaRon Landry, S, LSU.
8: Houston - Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal.
9: Green Bay - Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson.
10: Buffalo - Jared Gaither, T, Maryland.

real
10-23-2006, 10:56 AM
I doubt we take Lynch...

AustinJB
10-23-2006, 01:19 PM
I doubt we take Lynch...

Yeah, the only way we take Lynch is if he drops to the 2nd or 3rd round. IMO, the ONLY RB that Kubiak would consider taking in the 1st round would be AP.

Mark my words...If we don't take AP, we will NOT draft a RB in the 1st round...period. It's that simple.

kastofsna
10-23-2006, 01:25 PM
lynch is a MUCH better fit for the offense than peterson. and...he's a better player overall anyway.

real
10-23-2006, 01:32 PM
I don't want either one...I hope we go Defense in the first...

Porky
10-23-2006, 03:01 PM
lynch is a MUCH better fit for the offense than peterson. and...he's a better player overall anyway.

I agree on both counts. Lynch is a poor mans LT, and that might not be giving him enough credit. I have seen more of AP, but enough of Lynch to form a very positive impression. He is a better receiver than AP, and has more moves and open field speed than AP. AP is more of a bruiser. He isn't slow by any means, but he would rather run over you than around you for the most part. He's a darn good RB in his own right, but between the two I would take Lynch. I think he will have a more productive, longer career, and fits Houston's scheme better. I am on the bandwagon. :whip:

infantrycak
10-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Mark my words...If we don't take AP, we will NOT draft a RB in the 1st round...period. It's that simple.

Yeah since the only RB we would have considered taking in this past draft was Reggie Bush--oops well either him or DeAngelo Williams who they tried to trade to get.

Errant Hothy
10-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah, the only way we take Lynch is if he drops to the 2nd or 3rd round. IMO, the ONLY RB that Kubiak would consider taking in the 1st round would be AP.

I would have agreed with this before last years draft, when we tried despreatly to trade back into the first to pick up DeAngelo Williams.

Kubes might not be as opposed to RBs in the 1st now that he isn't in Denver, and I still don't think anybody on our roster is capable of being an everydown, 16 game back.

And Lynch is better then D. Williams, too.

bah007
10-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Mel Kiper didnt even have Lynch or Peterson on the last board that I saw. He had Kenny Irons and Michael Bush though. Does he only rank seniors?

kastofsna
10-24-2006, 10:40 AM
yes. he won't rank juniors until they declare.

bah007
10-24-2006, 11:36 AM
My early opinion:

1. Oakland- Calvin Johnson-WR, Georgia Tech
2. Detroit- Brian Brohm-QB, Lousiville (maybe a reach at #2, but I like him better than Quinn)
3. Miami- Brady Quinn-QB, Notre Dame (they could use one of the safeties, but I couldnt see Quinn falling all the way to Green Bay)
4. Arizona- Joe Thomas-OT, Wisconsin
5. Cleveland- Adrian Peterson-HB, Oklahoma
6. Tennessee- Daymeion Hughes-CB, California
7. San Francisco- LaRon Landry-S, LSU
8. Buffalo- Jared Gaither-OT, Maryland
9. Houston- Michael Griffin-S, Texas (maybe a little early for him, but he could be the next Roy Williams,but a liability in pass coverage)
10. Green Bay- Marshawn Lynch-HB, California

I also like Gaines Adams-DE, Clemson:
but I couldnt find out where he would go in that draft order

Porky
10-24-2006, 11:48 AM
My early opinion:

2. Detroit- Brian Brohm-QB, Lousiville (maybe a reach at #2, but I like him better than Quinn)
3. Miami- Brady Quinn-QB, Notre Dame (they could use one of the safeties, but I couldnt see Quinn falling all the way to Green Bay)
9. Houston- Michael Griffin-S, Texas (maybe a little early for him, but he could be the next Roy Williams,but a liability in pass coverage)

We are going to take a safety with coverage issues over an impact RB? God, I hope you aren't in charge of the Texans draft. :yikes:

TFL
10-24-2006, 11:55 AM
My early opinion:

Quinn would not go to Green Bay if he fall to them becuase they got A. Rodgers

bah007
10-24-2006, 12:15 PM
We are going to take a safety with coverage issues over an impact RB? God, I hope you aren't in charge of the Texans draft. :yikes:

Potential coverage issues. If we find another good corner to complement Robinson then it shouldnt be a problem. Is Roy Williams a bad safety because he is a beast against the run but gets sucked in on play action?

bah007
10-24-2006, 12:15 PM

they only took Rodgers cuz they felt sorry for him. He is #3 on that depth chart already

bah007
10-24-2006, 12:17 PM

keep in mind that a mock draft is not a list of who you think should get drafted but a list of who you think will get drafted.

I think the Texans should get Peterson or Lynch.

I dont think they will.

real
10-24-2006, 12:23 PM
I think the Texans should get Peterson or Lynch.

No...they shouldn't....

If they end up in that spot I'd like to see them trade down to maybe 11 or 12 and pick up Griffin...I like Griffin and would like to see him in a Texans uni...

real
10-24-2006, 12:24 PM
they only took Rodgers cuz they felt sorry for him. He is #3 on that depth chart already

That whole statement is Bolgna...

bah007
10-24-2006, 12:25 PM
No...they shouldn't....

If they end up in that spot I'd like to see them trade down to maybe 11 or 12 and pick up Griffin...I like Griffin and would like to see him in a Texans uni...

I also like Griffin a lot but like I put in the draft, that spot would be too high for him

Porky
10-24-2006, 12:31 PM
No...they shouldn't....

So a safety will have a greater impact on the w/l column than an impact dual threat RB? In general, I am not a fan of taking a safety in Rd 1. Only when you have a rare game changing safety would I even consider it. Good safety's can be had as low as rd 4 and 5. We have far too many needs to use a #1 in that way. Griffin is not that kind of game changer. Lynch is.

real
10-24-2006, 12:34 PM
So a safety will have a greater impact on the w/l column than an impact dual threat RB?

I didn't say that...but im not denying it either...

I think a ball hawking SS will help us more at this point than a RB....

I think we can pick up a suitable RB in rds. 2-4...

bah007
10-24-2006, 12:39 PM
That whole statement is Bolgna...

either you really like bologna or you should tell me your opinion on Rodgers

real
10-24-2006, 12:41 PM
either you really like bologna or you should tell me your opinion on Rodgers

lol....

I don't have an opinion on him...But i seriously doubt they took him because "they felt sorry for him"...

bah007
10-24-2006, 12:42 PM
lol....

I don't have an opinion on him...But i seriously doubt they took him because "they felt sorry for him"...

I just dont have a high opinion of Rodgers. He didnt impress me in college and he still hasnt even become Favre's back-up

real
10-24-2006, 12:52 PM
I just dont have a high opinion of Rodgers. He didnt impress me in college and he still hasnt even become Favre's back-up

First TeamSecond TeamThird Team

QB4Brett Favre (http://www.packers.com/team/players/favre_brett/)12Aaron Rodgers (http://www.packers.com/team/players/rodgers_aaron/)7Ingle Martin (http://www.packers.com/team/players/martin_ingle/)*

[/URL]
[URL]http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/ (http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/)

bah007
10-24-2006, 12:55 PM
First TeamSecond TeamThird Team

QB4Brett Favre (http://www.packers.com/team/players/favre_brett/)12Aaron Rodgers (http://www.packers.com/team/players/rodgers_aaron/)7Ingle Martin (http://www.packers.com/team/players/martin_ingle/)*

[/URL]
[URL]http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/ (http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/)

Well I dont have a link but everything I had heard was that Martin looked better than Rodgers already.

nunusguy
10-24-2006, 12:56 PM

And I think a top LT would help us more than either a SS or RB.
We may already have that guy, but by the April-2007 college Draft the
coachs may have determined that Spencers propects for a full recovery
aren't looking to encouraging ?

real
10-24-2006, 12:57 PM
Well I dont have a link but everything I had heard was that Martin looked better than Rodgers already.

Maybe....he was pretty good at florida before he got that raw deal when Leak came in...

real
10-24-2006, 12:58 PM
And I think a top LT would help us more than either a SS or RB.
We may already have that guy, but by the April-2007 college Draft the
coachs may have determined that Spencers propects for a full recovery
aren't looking to encouraging ?

I agree with that too...I just don't want any of those RB's in the first unless we trade up into the latter half to get Irons or whoever is there...I just don't want to draft one with our first pick...

TexansSeminole
10-24-2006, 01:05 PM
I agree with that too...I just don't want any of those RB's in the first unless we trade up into the latter half to get Irons or whoever is there...I just don't want to draft one with our first pick...

I don't think we NEED to have one of those running backs in the first round. We need a lineman more and need a safety more.

bah007
10-24-2006, 01:09 PM
I don't think we NEED to have one of those running backs in the first round. We need a lineman more and need a safety more.

My mock has us choosing a safety

run-david-run
10-24-2006, 04:55 PM

Griffin is a hitter, not a ball hawk. We already have 3 SS's, we need a feature back or a DB who excels in coverage, saftey or corner.

real
10-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Griffin is a hitter, not a ball hawk. We already have 3 SS's, we need a feature back or a DB who excels in coverage, saftey or corner.

I think we can find a good back in rds. 2-4

I'd rather get a stud defensive player or OL...

TexansSeminole
10-24-2006, 05:50 PM

He may not be a "bawl hawk" but he knows how to make an interception, and seems to know how to get himself in position to break up passes (or intercept them).

Michael Griffin (and Michael Huff) statistics:

In 2004 Griffin played in all 12 games and had 1 INT 3 break ups and 2 quarterback hits. (Griffin also had 49 total tackles) With 1 forced fumble along with 1 fumble recovery. Griffin also had 2 blocked kicks and 1 sack for 11 yards lost. (Huff had 2 INTs with 14 break ups and 1 quarterback hit in 12 games played. Huff also had 73 total tackles with 1 forced fumble and no recoveries and no sacks.)

In 2005 Griffin played in all 12 games plus 1 more game(NCG) and had 3 INTs (1 in the NCG) 8 break ups and 5 quarterback hits. (Griffin had 124 total tackles) With 1 forced fumble and 3 fumble recoveries. Griffin also had 4 blocked kicks and 0 sacks. (Huff had 1 INT with 14 break ups and 3 quarterback hits. Huff also had 4 forced fumbles and 2 recoveries with 109 total tackles. Huff also had 2 sacks for 18 yards lost.)

In 2006(so far) Griffin has played in 8 games. He has 70 tackles and no sacks. He has forced 2 fumbles and also recovered 2 fumbles. This year he has also had 2 interceptions and 4 break ups with no quarterback hits. He also also managed to block 1 kick this year.

These are some statistics from Michael Griffin's career, and I have put them next to Michael Huff's statistics as well. Michael Huff went to the Raiders at #7 overall. They both played for University of Texas.

Just to fill in these extra games that haven't been played yet, Griffin would end the year on these stats (by average). In 12 games:

Total tackles: 105
Interceptions: 3
Forced Fumbles: 3
Fumble Recoveries: 3
Passes broken up: 6

This is just by calculating what he is on track for.

I wouldn't say he isn't a ball hawk but a hitter. I'd say he was more of a balanced FS. He tackles well...he covers well...he can put the lick on receivers or go over the top of them and intercept passes. He may or may not be a gamebreaker at the safety position like Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Roy Williams, Adrian Wilson, and Mike Brown. He is obviously not a lock as that type of gamebreaker (as Michael Huff seemed to be) but he has the ability to be a good safety in the NFL.

run-david-run
10-24-2006, 06:02 PM
He may not be a "bawl hawk" but he knows how to make an interception, and seems to know how to get himself in position to break up passes (or intercept them).

Michael Griffin (and Michael Huff) statistics:

In 2004 Griffin played in all 12 games and had 1 INT 3 break ups and 2 quarterback hits. (Griffin also had 49 total tackles) With 1 forced fumble along with 1 fumble recovery. Griffin also had 2 blocked kicks and 1 sack for 11 yards lost. (Huff had 2 INTs with 14 break ups and 1 quarterback hit in 12 games played. Huff also had 73 total tackles with 1 forced fumble and no recoveries and no sacks.)

In 2005 Griffin played in all 12 games plus 1 more game(NCG) and had 3 INTs (1 in the NCG) 8 break ups and 5 quarterback hits. (Griffin had 124 total tackles) With 1 forced fumble and 3 fumble recoveries. Griffin also had 4 blocked kicks and 0 sacks. (Huff had 1 INT with 14 break ups and 3 quarterback hits. Huff also had 4 forced fumbles and 2 recoveries with 109 total tackles. Huff also had 2 sacks for 18 yards lost.)

In 2006(so far) Griffin has played in 8 games. He has 70 tackles and no sacks. He has forced 2 fumbles and also recovered 2 fumbles. This year he has also had 2 interceptions and 4 break ups with no quarterback hits. He also also managed to block 1 kick this year.

These are some statistics from Michael Griffin's career, and I have put them next to Michael Huff's statistics as well. Michael Huff went to the Raiders at #7 overall. They both played for University of Texas.

Just to fill in these extra games that haven't been played yet, Griffin would end the year on these stats (by average). In 12 games:

Total tackles: 105
Interceptions: 3
Forced Fumbles: 3
Fumble Recoveries: 3
Passes broken up: 6

This is just by calculating what he is on track for.

I wouldn't say he isn't a ball hawk but a hitter. I'd say he was more of a balanced FS. He tackles well...he covers well...he can put the lick on receivers or go over the top of them and intercept passes. He may or may not be a gamebreaker at the safety position like Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, Roy Williams, Adrian Wilson, and Mike Brown. He is obviously not a lock as that type of gamebreaker (as Michael Huff seemed to be) but he has the ability to be a good safety in the NFL.
I go to UT and have seen every game the last two years. I know what Michael Griffin can do and I would love to have him on the Texans, but he is a SS which means we either play someone out of position or get another player to play FS, which we still dont have on the Texans. We need someone who can cover so Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne stop running around wide open everytime they play us.

TexansSeminole
10-24-2006, 06:03 PM
LaRon Landry:

In 2003: LaRon played in 14 games. He had 80 total tackles with 3 sacks for 30 yards lost. He had 2 INTs with 4 breakups and 7 quarterback hits. He also had 1 blocked kick. Also 0 forced fumbles and 0 fumble recoveries

In 2004: LaRon played in 12 games. He had 92 total tackles with 3 sacks for 19 yards lost. He had 4 INTs with 5 breakups and 0 quarterback hits. He also had 1 forced fumble and 0 fumble recoveries. 0 blocked kicks.

In 2005: LaRon played in 12 games. He had 69 tackles with 1 sack for 10 yards lost. He had 3 INTs with 8 breakups and 1 quarterback hit. Also had 0 forced fumbles, 0 fumble recoveries, and 0 blocked kicks.

In 2006(so far): LaRon has played in 8 games. He has 40 tackles with 0 sacks. He has 1 INT with 1 break up and 3 quarterback hits. He also has 1 forced fumble and 1 blocked kick.

On this track(on average) he will end the season with these stats:
Total tackles: 60
Interceptions: 1 or 2 (1.5)
Forced Fumbles: 1 or 2 (1.5)
Fumble Recoveries: 0
Passes broken up: 1 or 2 (1.5)

Of course these on track statistics will be wrong but they are an assumption off what he has shown thus far.

TexansSeminole
10-24-2006, 06:06 PM
I go to UT and have seen every game the last two years. I know what Michael Griffin can do and I would love to have him on the Texans, but he is a SS which means we either play someone out of position or get another player to play FS, which we still dont have on the Texans. We need someone who can cover so Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne stop running around wide open everytime they play us.

I am not trying to prove you wrong or anything...I just thought it'd be interesting to show some statistics and give my opinion as well.

But as far as I am concerned we need to replace both of our safeties...almost equally (Brown more than Earl, but still). Whichever position Griffin plays in the NFL, we need help in.

Bubbajwp
10-24-2006, 08:22 PM
IMO you cant go wrong with either of them.

Landry or Griffin that is.

Blake
10-24-2006, 11:01 PM
1. Oakland - Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
2. Tennessee - Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech
3. Cleveland - Quentin Moses, DE/OLB, Georgia
4. Detroit - Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin
5. Houston - Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
6. Miami - Levi Brown, OT, Penn St.
7. San Francisco - LaMarr Woodley, DE/OLB, Michigan
8. Arizona - LaRon Landry, FS, LSU
9. Green Bay - Leon Hall, CB, Michigan
10. Tampa Bay - Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson

With Kubiak's philosophy, I doubt we take AP with a first round selection. More likely a linebacker, or lineman.

I think Oakland wont pass again, on a franchise signal caller.

I think Tenn would love to get a special wide out for Vince.

I think Cleveland will always be looking for tweeners for their 3-4 defense.

I think Detroit needs tackle help, and Thomas is the best this year.

I think Miami needs line help more than anything, and will reach to fill the void. Brown should be a good tackle though.

I think Frisco is another 3-4 team that will always be looking at the hybrid linebacker, and Woodly should shoot updraft boards this year.

I think Arizona takes the best defensive player on the board, and now have someone to pair with Adrian Wilson, or to replace him.

I think Greenbay needs to look to the future here, and with Batman gone, and Charles Woodson a temp solution, they opt for the #1 corner in the draft.

I think Tampa is a team that loves defense, and will be looking to reload with a sack artist from Clemson.

painekiller
10-25-2006, 12:10 AM

And I am will go out on a limb and say Irons ends up the high prospect than Lynch. In this draft I would go Griffin, before Lynch, why because like xtruroyaltyx I think we can get a RB later that will more than work.

SF49erFaithful
10-25-2006, 12:11 AM

With Kubiak's philosophy, I doubt we take AP with a first round selection. More likely a linebacker, or lineman.

I think Miami needs line help more than anything, and will reach to fill the void. Brown should be a good tackle though.

I think Frisco is another 3-4 team that will always be looking at the hybrid linebacker, and Woodly should shoot updraft boards this year.

I think Arizona takes the best defensive player on the board, and now have someone to pair with Adrian Wilson, or to replace him.

I think Greenbay needs to look to the future here, and with Batman gone, and Charles Woodson a temp solution, they opt for the #1 corner in the draft.

I think Tampa is a team that loves defense, and will be looking to reload with a sack artist from Clemson.

Let me start off by saying I love the SF pick. I'm glad you didn't give us a DB, or even worse an offensive player. :brickwall I am very high on Woodley and that would fill a need. Our front seven can't produce a pass rush and what good would picking a DB do? Rookie DB's tend to struggle their rookie season, and how much would they help out with no pass rush? I don't expect DB's to cover WR's for 5 seconds.

Don't think Oakland will draft a QB with Al Davis in charge. Plus, Walter has shown some potential, but doesn't have an O-line or a great WR core.

I'm not fond on the Moses pick. He really hasn't been playing great this season and IMO isn't a top 10 pick.

bah007
10-25-2006, 12:19 AM

I think Oakland gets Calvin Johnson before a QB (Jerry Porter is leavin and Moss wants to).
I think if Johnson is there, Titans grab him.
I think Quentin Moses has no business being selected before Gaines Adams.
I think Joe Thomas is a beast.
I think the Texans dont draft a RB in the first round.
I think Levi Brown is a little overrated.
I think LaMarr Woodley doesnt go that high.
I think LaRon Landry is the best safety in the draft.
I think Daymeion Hughes (California) is the best corner in the nation, not Leon Hall.
I think Gaines Adams is almost as good as Mario.

SF49erFaithful
10-25-2006, 12:21 AM
My early opinion:

Doubt Griffin goes that high. Honestly, Griffin is one of my favorite prospects but IMO he is more of a mid-first rouder. Also don't like the Roy Williams comparison at all. MG is very talented and brings different things to the table; he is a ballhawk and can lay the wood. Where as Roy Williams is an "In-the-box" safety who is a big hitter, but can be a big liability in coverage.

quick update:

1: Miami - Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame.
2: Oakland - Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech.
3: Arizona - Joe Thomas, T, Wisconsin.
4: Detroit - Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville.
5: Cleveland - Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma.
7: San Francisco - LaRon Landry, S, LSU.
8: Houston - Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal.
9: Green Bay - Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson.
You think Miami would pick a QB with the first pick? I don't think they give up on Culpepper that easy. I think your team could use an O-line more.

bah007
10-25-2006, 12:24 AM
Doubt Griffin goes that high. Honestly, Griffin is one of my favorite prospects but IMO he is more of a mid-first rouder. Also don't like the Roy Williams comparison at all. MG is very talented and brings different things to the table; he is a ballhawk and can lay the wood. Where as Roy Williams is an "In-the-box" safety who is a big hitter, but can be a big liability in coverage.

You think Miami would pick a QB with the first pick? I don't think they give up on Culpepper that easy. I think your team could use an O-line more.

I said in my post that Griffin might be a reach that high. Roy Williams is a ballhawk when he is in a deep zone. So is Griffin. They both lay heavy wood. Williams is a liability in coverage and Griffin gets sucked up on play action too easy.

SF49erFaithful
10-25-2006, 12:37 AM

Selected 65th overall (3rd Round) in the 2005 NFL Draft.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/football/nfl/10/11/bc.fbn.49ers.gore.sgrit.ap/t1_1011_gore_ap.jpg

:redtowel:

SF49erFaithful
10-25-2006, 12:39 AM
I said in my post that Griffin might be a reach that high. Roy Williams is a ballhawk when he is in a deep zone. So is Griffin. They both lay heavy wood. Williams is a liability in coverage and Griffin gets sucked up on play action too easy.

Fair enough. I still wouldn't define Roy Williams as a ballhawk though.

thunderkyss
10-25-2006, 07:56 AM

Why is everybody crying about Oaklands QB?? They've got their man in Walter, and they are happy with him. So far, I believe the general understanding is that they are loosing, because of poor Offensive line play, and archaic coaching....

..... sounds familiar.

If we didn't need a QB change, they shure as heck don't.

Smart thing for them, would be to go with a big ugly..... trade down, and get a bunch of big uglies.

But their defense is playing pretty well, they may add some high caliber talent to the defensive side of the ball, and get back to playing Raider Football, with a defense like Baltimore, or Chicago.

real
10-25-2006, 08:38 AM
I don't even think we are going to be picking in the top ten...

and if we do I hope we trade down somewhere between 11-13 and pick up a defensive player...

kastofsna
10-25-2006, 08:50 AM
who says they'd be giving up on culpepper? BPA.

Blake
10-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Why is everybody crying about Oaklands QB?? They've got their man in Walter, and they are happy with him. So far, I believe the general understanding is that they are loosing, because of poor Offensive line play, and archaic coaching....

How is this crying about Oaklands QB's? Its a fact that QB's normally go first overall. And Walter is nothing special.

Smart thing for them, would be to go with a big ugly..... trade down, and get a bunch of big uglies.

But their defense is playing pretty well, they may add some high caliber talent to the defensive side of the ball, and get back to playing Raider Football, with a defense like Baltimore, or Chicago.

What is smart, and what the Raiders do on draft day is 2 different things.

Maddict5
10-25-2006, 11:04 AM
i think we'll be picking at maybe 10-15 ish....so im officially on the gathers bandwagon eventhough i dont watch much CollFB, either him or landry/fs/cb in the first....

In reality,i dont know if we'll give up on spencer this early though

bah007
10-25-2006, 11:20 AM
The Raiders like Walter & I dont think they would draft a QB even if he wasnt.

Walter is an extremely accurate passer who is still working on reading NFL coverages. He doesnt have the strongest arm but his accuracy outweighs that.

Pretty much the only knock on him is that he is not very athletic & holds the ball under pressure instead of throwing it away. And those are two very important things when you play behind a bad O-Line.

TexansSeminole
10-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Miami needs a receiver...I see them selecting Calvin Johnson if they have a Top 3 pick. Chambers gets doubled alot like Andre used to....If they could grab Calvin that gives them a great #1 at #2 and Wes Welker can be even more effective.

Culpepper will be ready next year.

awtysst
10-25-2006, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE=In reality,i dont know if we'll give up on spencer this early though[/QUOTE]

If we picked a LT I dont think we would be. Our Line right now is;

Salaam- Pitts-Flanigan-Weary-Weigert.

I could see us drafting a stud LT and making him our new LT anchor. This would then see our line look like this

Stud LT-Pitts-Flanigan/Hog-Spencer-Winston

If Hog pans out this could be the start of the dominant Oline we have been wanting since the franchise's conception.

real
10-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Stud LT-Pitts-Flanigan/Hog-Spencer-Winston

I would rather it be:

"Stud LT"---Pitts---Flannagan---Weary---Spencer

And then use Winston as our swing tackle...

TexansSeminole
10-25-2006, 01:11 PM
We need a veteran guard to fill our LG needs though...either through draft or free agency.

real
10-25-2006, 01:28 PM
We need a veteran guard to fill our LG needs though...either through draft or free agency.

Pitts?

TexansSeminole
10-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Pitts?

I'm sorry, right guard.

real
10-25-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm sorry, right guard.

I dunno...Kubiak seems to like The Weary/Mckinney experiment...

TexansSeminole
10-25-2006, 04:32 PM
IMO McKinney is losing it bad...sounds kind of like he has nagging physical problems all the time now...we need to bring a new guy in I think. Weary is just a backup IMO...nothing special.

thunderkyss
10-25-2006, 06:06 PM
I dunno...Kubiak seems to like The Weary/Mckinney experiment...

I don't think so. for some reason he's having a hard time saying McKinney doesn't need to be there.

real
10-25-2006, 06:11 PM
I don't think so. for some reason he's having a hard time saying McKinney doesn't need to be there.

Didn't Mckinney play the whole second half ? They asked him about it on the radio show because of his un-orthodox method of switching the two in and and and he said something along the lines of being pleased with the production out of the two....

Nevertheless, even if McKinney can't cut it I still like Weary...

SF49erFaithful
10-25-2006, 09:48 PM
BPA.

That doesn't apply for teams that already have franchise quarterbacks like Culpepper, unless of coure they [Franchise QB's] are getting up there in years and retire soon.

TexansSeminole
10-25-2006, 11:40 PM
That doesn't apply for teams that already have franchise quarterbacks like Culpepper, unless of coure they [Franchise QB's] are getting up there in years and retire soon.

Culpepper is obviously not their Franchise QB if he is not even playing right now. Truth is they are still looking, but they need to stick with one. I don't understand taking Culpepper out.

SF49erFaithful
10-26-2006, 01:21 AM
Culpepper is obviously not their Franchise QB if he is not even playing right now. Truth is they are still looking, but they need to stick with one. I don't understand taking Culpepper out.

If I'm not mistaken he has been a little hampered by injuries this season so he should be better at full health.

painekiller
10-26-2006, 02:47 AM
If I'm not mistaken he has been a little hampered by injuries this season so he should be better at full health.

2nd that. They thought he was ready to play, but they finally figured out that he just could not move fast enough yet to play. So why get the man killed when you have a healthy capable former starter on the bench. (I use that term very loosely).

TexansSeminole
10-26-2006, 03:11 AM
I dont see how they could mistake his health that bad to still have him out because of injury...I think it alot more to do with other factors.

thunderkyss
10-26-2006, 08:25 AM
2nd that. They thought he was ready to play, but they finally figured out that he just could not move fast enough yet to play. So why get the man killed when you have a healthy capable former starter on the bench. (I use that term very loosely).

loosely or not, he threw for 414 yards this past Sunday

I dont see how they could mistake his health that bad to still have him out because of injury...I think it alot more to do with other factors.

Without a doubt, he was playing badly. They had their fans calling for JoeyHarrington(can you imagine that??). But they want to blame his poor performance on his health, even though they know that's not it. He moved around pretty well against us. He just wasn't making the plays he needed to make, wasn't putting it up for his team to make a play on the ball.

They haven't won any games since starting Joey, but the rest of the team is more involved, and they'll be winning soon.

Well, their next three games are Chicago, Kansas City, and Minnesota.... I'd bet they win at least one of those, KC & Minn are at home.

Then they go to Detroit(another possible win) then back home for Jacksonville(an easy win), NewEngland(a possible win).

They go to Buffalo(winnable), play the Jets at home(winnable), then play the Colts, should be cake after we decimate them the week before.

So they could finish with 7 wins. not where they wanted to be, but better than they are now.

kastofsna
10-26-2006, 09:15 AM
Miami needs a receiver...I see them selecting Calvin Johnson if they have a Top 3 pick. Chambers gets doubled alot like Andre used to....If they could grab Calvin that gives them a great #1 at #2 and Wes Welker can be even more effective.

Culpepper will be ready next year.

chambers never gets doubled because he sucks. he's not a #1 at all. we need calvin johnson no doubt.

i don't know how much longer wes welker will stick around. he's great, but a free agent, and will probably get more money than he deserves. marcus vick appears to be the future as far as punts and kick returns are concerned, and derek hagan is looking good as a slot guy.

TexansSeminole
10-26-2006, 01:24 PM
chambers never gets doubled because he sucks. he's not a #1 at all. we need calvin johnson no doubt.

I watch the Dolphins games sometimes unwantingly and from what I see Chambers gets doubled for the most part of every game.

kastofsna
10-26-2006, 01:31 PM
I watch the Dolphins games sometimes unwantingly and from what I see Chambers gets doubled for the most part of every game.
i'd suggest watching with the television turned ON.

chambers has never been doubled. never. there's no reason to. he's had like 7 good games in his career.

TexansSeminole
10-26-2006, 02:17 PM
i'd suggest watching with the television turned ON.

chambers has never been doubled. never. there's no reason to. he's had like 7 good games in his career.

We must have a different view on what doubled is.

kastofsna
10-26-2006, 03:34 PM
there can't be too many definitions.

threetoedpete
10-27-2006, 12:01 AM

Arron Rodgers fell to them for a reason. They get a shot to move up and take Quin, they'll grab it. Rodgers had a long looping deliery as I remember. You think Culpper is having troubles, wait till Rodgers gets the bit. My book says he'll spit it. Green Bay will have an orgasim if Quin falls to them.

threetoedpete
10-27-2006, 12:30 AM

DRAFT:
1. Peterson
2. CB or Safety
3. Guard/ LB
5-7. best player

How many years we gotta pass the hosses up ? Good Greif. I want the o-line fixed. First. I don't want a maybe prospect in the third round. I want the stud. If we controll the ball, we can controll the game. I can live without All Day. I can't live with not being able to dominate on the o-line. Five years is long enough. Time to bite the bullet and draft the stud o-lineman. It ain't sexy but it's what good ball clubs do. You got a hole you plug it with the best guy you can get. And you look at our rushing this year, because the guys can't pass block so they've had to cut their splits, I don't know why there's this Disney warm and fuzzy that the line is fixed with the addition of
Spencer only ? My way there is no maybe . The o-line should be much improved. Not enough to catch the Colts. But enough to set the table for '8. Draft you're pretty RB then. Kubes has demenstrated if his qb has time, he can hide the warts on the defense. You're going to see. Salaam goes down, we're going to see in spades this year. With three or four dominate prospects on the board there's no reason, after five years not to come away with at least one of them. And we're not the only club looking at them Dorthy. You wait, you're damning this club to another top ten pick next year. All Day hitting the line with no holes there has no apeal to me at all. Getting the dominate OLT tells me we're on the right track to catch the Colts.

TexansSeminole
10-27-2006, 02:28 AM
there can't be too many definitions.
That's my point.

thunderkyss
10-27-2006, 07:43 AM
Arron Rodgers fell to them for a reason. They get a shot to move up and take Quin, they'll grab it. Rodgers had a long looping deliery as I remember. You think Culpper is having troubles, wait till Rodgers gets the bit. My book says he'll spit it. Green Bay will have an orgasim if Quin falls to them.

They didn't even look at Lienart or Cutler..... why would they go for Quinn??

thunderkyss
10-27-2006, 07:56 AM
How many years we gotta pass the hosses up ? Good Greif. I want the o-line fixed. First. I don't want a maybe prospect in the third round. I want the stud. If we controll the ball, we can controll the game. I can live without All Day. I can't live with not being able to dominate on the o-line. Five years is long enough. Time to bite the bullet and draft the stud o-lineman. It ain't sexy but it's what good ball clubs do. .

I thought we already determined that 1st round Linemen wasn't the norm for Denver.

Since 1996 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/DEN) They've only drafted one OLman... and that was only a few years ago. I know it was a different team, with different holes, but they seem to value defense more than offense, and with the defense they've played with in the last few years, it shows.

CB, OLB, or DT will be where we use that 1st round pick next year, and we won't be in the top 10, there are 5 teams in the AFC alone that will finish worse than we will.

kastofsna
10-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Rodgers had a long looping deliery as I remember.
rodgers has one of the quickest deliveries in the game.

kastofsna
10-27-2006, 08:43 AM
That's my point.
i'm not sure what your point is. double-teaming is basically when the safety helps out, and that's pretty rare for chambers. he runs sloppy routes and isn't physical at all. he's SOFT, in fact. he has plenty of trouble just getting off the line. sure, he'll see the OCCASIONAL double-team, but so would any "#1" receiver in the league. but it's not emphasized. if anything, marty booker has seen far more, just because he's more of a straight deep-threat than chambers.

he's the 4th best receiver on miami's roster right now. 4th.

YoungTexanFan
10-27-2006, 09:58 AM
I thought we already determined that 1st round Linemen wasn't the norm for Denver.

Since 1996 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/DEN) They've only drafted one OLman... and that was only a few years ago. I know it was a different team, with different holes, but they seem to value defense more than offense, and with the defense they've played with in the last few years, it shows.

CB, OLB, or DT will be where we use that 1st round pick next year, and we won't be in the top 10, there are 5 teams in the AFC alone that will finish worse than we will.

You can look at that little stat yes, but you also have to look at the team Denver has built. They have the stud linemen that fit their system and now they can "cherrypick" a late-round project that they develop into a solid player. We don't have that luxury. We don't have the studs in front of anyone. We don't have studs and drafting projects like Wand, Spencer, Winston won't get you anywhere fast. They have plenty of potential to develop, but those are the type of guys that sit a year or two or three and learn before being thrust into a role where we expect semi-stud immediatly. We don't have another 3 years for our third round draft picks to develop how they should, we need that super-stud. My pick this year: Gaither from Maryland. Second option: Joe Thomas. Third Option: Sam Baker.

thunderkyss
10-27-2006, 10:09 AM
You can look at that little stat yes, but you also have to look at the team Denver has built. They have the stud linemen that fit their system and now they can "cherrypick" a late-round project that they develop into a solid player. We don't have that luxury. We don't have the studs in front of anyone. We don't have studs and drafting projects like Wand, Spencer, Winston won't get you anywhere fast. They have plenty of potential to develop, but those are the type of guys that sit a year or two or three and learn before being thrust into a role where we expect semi-stud immediatly. We don't have another 3 years for our third round draft picks to develop how they should, we need that super-stud. My pick this year: Gaither from Maryland. Second option: Joe Thomas. Third Option: Sam Baker.

Well with that logic, cutting Wand makes even less sense, as he could've been developing for next year. & for Kubiak to go totally against that thinking, and pick up two third round projects in his first year, but a 1st rounder in his second is kinda backwards thinking if you ask me.

WinstonJustice & D'Brickshaw Ferguson are two prime examples of linemen we had absolutley no interest in, in this years draft. Guys like them will be overlooked by us again.

& while the talk around here was that Eric would start immediately at LT, & Spencer would be developed for the future was just fan talk. Kubiak knew(I imagine) from the get go where he was going to put the two when he picked them, hence drafting Spencer ahead of Winston. I also imagine he thought about starting Spencer in Week 1 the minute he got him.

YoungTexanFan
10-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Well with that logic, cutting Wand makes even less sense, as he could've been developing for next year. & for Kubiak to go totally against that thinking, and pick up two third round projects in his first year, but a 1st rounder in his second is kinda backwards thinking if you ask me.

WinstonJustice & D'Brickshaw Ferguson are two prime examples of linemen we had absolutley no interest in, in this years draft. Guys like them will be overlooked by us again.

& while the talk around here was that Eric would start immediately at LT, & Spencer would be developed for the future was just fan talk. Kubiak knew(I imagine) from the get go where he was going to put the two when he picked them, hence drafting Spencer ahead of Winston. I also imagine he thought about starting Spencer in Week 1 the minute he got him.

I know it goes against that logic, but no O-linemen was good enough for #1 overall, and Kubiak went with another linemen who did. Justice did not match up with our team, and has injury concerns as well as off-the-field issues. The Spencer at LT project still baffles me, but I'll trust Kubiak on this and let him test it out. I don't think he was expecting Winston to be available there, but when he was, he snatched him up. I felt, and still feel, that Winston was the more NFL ready prospect.

Wand was not HIS project. It was a failed attempt by capers to develop a player. When Salam and Weigert are your starting OT's, you need help, and you need IMMEDIATE help. Pitts is our best O-linemen by a pretty good deal, and he was only a second rounder. There is a reason players go first round as opposed to third round.

infantrycak
10-27-2006, 10:30 AM
We don't have another 3 years for our third round draft picks to develop how they should, we need that super-stud. My pick this year: Gaither from Maryland. Second option: Joe Thomas. Third Option: Sam Baker.

You are overstating the waiting period. Denver has one guy who started as a rookie and three who started after waiting 1 year, including the 1st rounder. Plus it would be almost foolhardy to spend top dollar on a LT if they already believe they had one who was ready to start this year. Now getting a top rated center in the 2nd might make sense.

thunderkyss
10-27-2006, 10:40 AM
And some postions can be filled on a regular basis by third round guys. I think there is normally plenty of OL talent in the third. Not that stud you'd get in the first that would fit the majority of football teams, but since our team doesn't want the same guy the other 28 teams are looking for, we can get our guy, like Spencer who can start right away in the third on a regular basis.

There are only 3 other teams looking for athletic gaurds under 300lbs. Pitts is a keeper, but we run better behind Weigart & Mckinney/Weary at the moment. I see another Gaurd, and a Center in our future, unless Hogdon can win over Kubiak(I don't think he plays any worse than Flanagan..... but that's a different argument all together).

EW should replace Wiegart by next year..... if not, he'll either provide the depth we are getting out of Bedell, or Salaam(originally), or he'll be cut, and we'll look for a new RT. Wiegart has not been our worse OLman this year. & has been getting better each game. The line as a whole has been getting better, and OL talent in the near future may be aquired simply for depth. Reducing the possibility of a first round ugly even further.

YoungTexanFan
10-27-2006, 10:45 AM
You are overstating the waiting period. Denver has one guy who started as a rookie and three who started after waiting 1 year, including the 1st rounder. Plus it would be almost foolhardy to spend top dollar on a LT if they already believe they had one who was ready to start this year. Now getting a top rated center in the 2nd might make sense.

Well, this is my opinon, and it hasn't changed in 5 years. We need a stud LT. I do not believe Spencer is a NFL LT, more of a RG. I don't think anyone on our roster is a true LT and I don't have any patience to develop one while we plug people in. Denver's line situation is different than ours. I don't know wether to attribute it to player development coaches or just better drafting, but we don't have time to develop anyone. We need the most NLF ready, elite LT. I feel that is Gaither, then Thomas.

thunderkyss
10-27-2006, 10:49 AM
We need the most NLF ready, elite LT. I feel that is Gaither, then Thomas.

And they fall in the same category as D'Brick. the most NFL ready for 28 out of 32 teams. & we aren't one of the 28......

YoungTexanFan
10-27-2006, 10:54 AM
And they fall in the same category as D'Brick. the most NFL ready for 28 out of 32 teams. & we aren't one of the 28......

So tell me that Spencer fits as a "Denver" linemen. Tell me that a 315 lb Eric Winston recovering from major knee surgery who struggles with lateral movement and had a noticable gait...tell me how those players fit our new, "special" catagory.

Excuse my french, but systems be damned. I want the best LT available.

infantrycak
10-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Well, this is my opinon, and it hasn't changed in 5 years. We need a stud LT. I do not believe Spencer is a NFL LT, more of a RG. I don't think anyone on our roster is a true LT and I don't have any patience to develop one while we plug people in. Denver's line situation is different than ours. I don't know wether to attribute it to player development coaches or just better drafting, but we don't have time to develop anyone. We need the most NLF ready, elite LT. I feel that is Gaither, then Thomas.

Well we'll just have to disagree on Spencer. IMO you get stuck on opinions pre-draft and keep them for years after the fact as if the real performance in the NFL isn't more important. In any event, the taking stud LT's high theory has worked extremely poorly during the Texans' era.

Ferguson--too early by far to tell but has given up 5 sacks so far.
2005--no top 10 guys but
Jamaal Brown--RT for a year
Alex Barron--RT
Robert Gallery--decent at RT, flop so far at LT
Jordon Gross--RT for 1 year, LT flop, back to RT now at LT by injury
Mike William--bust

I know, I know--but this year _____ is sure fire.

TexansSeminole
10-27-2006, 03:25 PM
he's the 4th best receiver on miami's roster right now. 4th.

That's because teams double him everygame. The Miami passing game consists of Wes Welker running routes out of the slot and Marty Booker getting open occassionally to drop the ball 25% of the time. Oh, and don't forget about those dump offs to Ronnie Brown.

I go to FSU and most of the people here are Dolphins fans and every single one I have talked to either says you all need a QB or a WR. Half of the people that say you need a WR say that it is because Chambers gets doubled...I just assume the other half doesn't notice it or didn't mention it.

Personally I could see you guys going for some OL, after taking a chance at a receiver in the high rounds.

bah007
10-27-2006, 03:27 PM
That's because teams double him everygame. The Miami passing game consists of Wes Welker running routes out of the slot and Marty Booker getting open occassionally to drop the ball 25% of the time. Oh, and don't forget about those dump offs to Ronnie Brown.

I go to FSU and most of the people here at Dolphins fans and every single one I have talked to either says you all need a QB or a WR. Half of the people that say you need a WR say that it is because Chambers gets doubled...I just assume the other half doesn't notice it or didn't mention it.

Hopefully for the Dolphins Ted Ginn lasts til the 33rd pick.

He could just run 9 routes all day & be successful there. That is the only route Culpepper throws good anyway.

TexansSeminole
10-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Tell me that a 315 lb Eric Winston recovering from major knee surgery who struggles with lateral movement and had a noticable gait...tell me how those players fit our new, "special" catagory.

I assume Kubiak felt like the injury wouldn't effect his movement(enough) to consider it a problem. That 315 lb Winston used to play TE when he was first recruited by Miami...and is considered an athletic OL.

YoungTexanFan
10-27-2006, 03:36 PM
I assume Kubiak felt like the injury wouldn't effect his movement(enough) to consider it a problem. That 315 lb Winston used to play TE when he was first recruited by Miami...and is considered an athletic OL.

I know what he WAS. I know he was a TE for Midland, and a dang good one at that, but he is now a 315lb OT w/short arms and a surgicly repaired knee who struggles with quick lateral movement. I like Winston, but he does not fit the "system linemen" mold that you are suggesting.

Care to explain how Spencer fits that mold too? Quick feet for his size? Doesn't make him have quick feet in general. Just means that he is a half-step faster than all the other 353lb DT's turned rookie starting LT's.

TexansSeminole
10-27-2006, 03:40 PM
I know what he WAS. I know he was a TE for Midland, and a dang good one at that, but he is now a 315lb OT w/short arms and a surgicly repaired knee who struggles with quick lateral movement.

Hopefully he is not struggling with lateral movement now...but I would think that unless the surgery on his knee has taken it away from him, he still has alot of that foot quickness he used to display at TE.

nunusguy
10-27-2006, 07:03 PM
2005--no top 10 guys but
Alex Barron--RT
Mike William--bust

Good list Infantrycak but lets add a couple names to it.
Division rival Jacksonville took Khalif Barnes last year in the second round
and he's working out as their LT.
And a real big surprise is rook Marcus McNeill out of Auburn who was thought
by most to be only a RT prospect for the NFL. Well guess what, he's gettin the job done so far as the Chargers LT.
I don't know what is more curious, the so called "experts" lack of ability to
identify a "franchise" LT or an overrated player who becomes a Bust.

bah007
10-27-2006, 07:12 PM
by most to be only a RT prospect for the NFL. Well guess what, he's gettin the job done so far as the Chargers LT.

I was really pushing for us to get McNeill in the 2nd round. Everybody knew he had talent but I think he was a little overweight & his technique & agressiveness were questioned by scouts.

Looking back, I'm glad we passed on him. Ryans was one of my favorite college players last year & I was sure he would be a 1st round pick.

infantrycak
10-27-2006, 09:06 PM

Totally agree. I love guys like Ryans--1st round talent in the 2nd round. Winston--1st round talent in the 3rd round. What I am pointing out is forcing needs into a round which is a sure recipe for disaster despite all protests from the draftniks every year. You don't pass up on a superior CB for a hopeful LT. Wouldn't you have loved to have had Khalif Barnes and Dominique Foxworth instead of Buchanon?

thunderkyss
10-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Totally agree. I love guys like Ryans--1st round talent in the 2nd round. Winston--1st round talent in the 3rd round. What I am pointing out is forcing needs into a round which is a sure recipe for disaster despite all protests from the draftniks every year. You don't pass up on a superior CB for a hopeful LT. Wouldn't you have loved to have had Khalif Barnes and Dominique Foxworth instead of Buchanon?

Ok.... understandable. But, If there is an equally talented LT available, and you already have ChampBailey, and MarcusMcneil, but you need a LB who'll be taken in the next three or four picks, would taking that LB be a need pick?? or BPA in an area of need?? or would that be a reasonable choice for that team to make??

infantrycak
10-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Ok.... understandable. But, If there is an equally talented LT available, and you already have ChampBailey, and MarcusMcneil, but you need a LB who'll be taken in the next three or four picks, would taking that LB be a need pick?? or BPA in an area of need?? or would that be a reasonable choice for that team to make??

IMO at the top of the 1st there is a plus or minus 3 ranking for what really is BPA which you can address need within as a generalization. As the draft continues, the plus or minus broadens. Cap implications can narrow things as well. BPA may be a kicker at #3 but you ain't paying $45 mil for a kicker.

threetoedpete
10-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Well we'll just have to disagree on Spencer. IMO you get stuck on opinions pre-draft and keep them for years after the fact as if the real performance in the NFL isn't more important. In any event, the taking stud LT's high theory has worked extremely poorly during the Texans' era.

2005--no top 10 guys but
Alex Barron--RT
Mike William--bust

I know, I know--but this year _____ is sure fire.

I feel a lot more comfortible wading in this year than in any of the previous five years. All you can do is wait till the odds our in your favor and bite the bullet. I see no Marnovich's(SP, bloated steroid tackle GB took #1) this year with the top three and Beerlovers maybe he'll come out. None of those guys on your list lit my fire. Gallery was way to expensive to move up and go get. We got a tree this year full of good apples. Where I think they'll be drafting, all they need to do is pick the one they like the best. that holds more appeal for me than a DB we can maybe get second or third, or the All Day running back who in MHO dosen't fit the scheme. They may draft All Day. Just seems like a mistake to me. Lots of sophmores and juniors who've impressed me more....for our shceme. Can they hold their water ? We'll see the end of April.

kastofsna
10-30-2006, 09:34 AM

I go to FSU and most of the people here are Dolphins fans and every single one I have talked to either says you all need a QB or a WR. Half of the people that say you need a WR say that it is because Chambers gets doubled...I just assume the other half doesn't notice it or didn't mention it.

Personally I could see you guys going for some OL, after taking a chance at a receiver in the high rounds.
i shouldn't bother with this again. chambers doesn't get doubled. he's not good enough for that. why would you double up a guy who is extremely inconsistent, runs poor routes, doesn't fight for the ball ever and has trouble even getting off the line at times. he's brandon lloyd at best. he'll make a spectacular catch in the back of the endzone or on the sidelines, but he'll drop everything else. i think the steelers doubled him up, but ever since then, he's had it easy.

SF49erFaithful
10-31-2006, 12:33 AM
i shouldn't bother with this again. chambers doesn't get doubled. he's not good enough for that. why would you double up a guy who is extremely inconsistent, runs poor routes, doesn't fight for the ball ever and has trouble even getting off the line at times. he's brandon lloyd at best. he'll make a spectacular catch in the back of the endzone or on the sidelines, but he'll drop everything else. i think the steelers doubled him up, but ever since then, he's had it easy.

Brandon Lloyd at best? Sorry but Chambers is much better, Lloyd just sucks.

kastofsna
10-31-2006, 09:03 AM
Brandon Lloyd at best? Sorry but Chambers is much better, Lloyd just sucks.
both suck and are way overrated because of their occasional highlight catches. they're both soft as hell.

kastofsna
10-31-2006, 09:50 AM
latest top 10:

1: Arizona - Joe Thomas, T, Wisconsin.
2: Miami - Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech.
3: Detroit - Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame.
4: Oakland - Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma.
5: San Francisco - Alan Branch, DT, Michigan.
7: Cleveland - Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal.
8: Houston - Leon Hall, CB, Michigan.
9: Tampa Bay - LaRon Landry, S, LSU.

SF49erFaithful
10-31-2006, 10:12 PM
both suck and are way overrated because of their occasional highlight catches. they're both soft as hell.

Agreed for the most part. I'd still say Chambers is much better though, at least he runs over the middle and doesn't shy away from contact like Brandon "Alligator Arms" Lloyd.

TexansSeminole
11-01-2006, 12:37 AM
latest top 10:

That's looks like a good top 10 to me, although mine would be a bit different. I would love to get Leon Hall at #8 because I would think he would go in the top 7. Do you really think Daymeion Hughes should go this high? I haven't seen him play yet.

bah007
11-01-2006, 12:42 AM
That's looks like a good top 10 to me, although mine would be a bit different. I would love to get Leon Hall at #8 because I would think he would go in the top 7. Do you really think Daymeion Hughes should go this high? I haven't seen him play yet.

Dont judge him until you see him.

He is a ballhawk at CB.

I really dislike Cal guys but I am actually pretty high on him.

He gets at least 7 INT this year I think.

kastofsna
11-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Agreed for the most part. I'd still say Chambers is much better though, at least he runs over the middle and doesn't shy away from contact like Brandon "Alligator Arms" Lloyd.
yeah and chambers hasn't ducked any balls thrown his way, either.

YoungTexanFan
11-01-2006, 08:54 AM
latest top 10:

It's a solid in-season mock, but if things were to end like they are today...Joe Thomas is not good enough to go #1 overall. Arizona would probally trade down. I am very against a Michigan D-lineman being taken in the first round let alone the top 10. They just have no work ethic and that has never changed. Landry is not a top 10 player either.

V Man
11-01-2006, 09:10 AM
latest top 10:

Not bad, but I have two questions.

First (and you being Fins fan would know more than me) with the play of Culpepper and Harrington, won't Miami consider Quinn at 2, considering that they are already solid at WR. Or even an O-linemen Gaither from Maryland or Brown from Penn State) due to the number of sacks this year.

Second, some places have McCauley CB from Fresno State rated higher than Hall. I like the fact that he is taller and faster than Hall, but can't replace Hall's big game experience. Could see the Texans taking either of them.

kastofsna
11-01-2006, 09:31 AM
First (and you being Fins fan would know more than me) with the play of Culpepper and Harrington, won't Miami consider Quinn at 2, considering that they are already solid at WR. Or even an O-linemen Gaither from Maryland or Brown from Penn State) due to the number of sacks this year.

Second, some places have McCauley CB from Fresno State rated higher than Hall. I like the fact that he is taller and faster than Hall, but can't replace Hall's big game experience. Could see the Texans taking either of them.
it's a BPA situation. and our receiving corps is far from solid. chambers is soft and overrated, and booker and welker could possibly be gone after this year. that leaves us with chambers and derek hagan, who has been a fine rookie so far, but he has a bad case of the drops. culpepper is in it for the long haul, and with CJ being the best player in the draft, it'd be a steal to get him at #2.

mccauley is certainly the most talented CB in this draft, but man he has been NOTHING this year. he's had some flat-out BAD games. hall's stock keeps rising each week. he's got shutdown written all over him. although i like daymeion hughes better.

kastofsna
11-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Joe Thomas is not good enough to go #1 overall. Arizona would probally trade down. I am very against a Michigan D-lineman being taken in the first round let alone the top 10. They just have no work ethic and that has never changed. Landry is not a top 10 player either.
i'm not dealing with trades, and joe thomas IS good enough to go #1 overall. no doubt about it.

branch has been excellent, and a school having a history of busts at a position hasn't stopped anyone before, so the niners need a NT, and branch is the best available.

landry is definitely a top 10 player.

yourfavoritetexan42
11-01-2006, 09:35 AM
I say we get a good offensive tackle, preferably Joe Thomas, and then wait till the second round and pickup tom zbikowski for safety out of notre dame. Zbikowski could be just as big as a steal as demeco ryans was for this year.

If this happend I would be sooo very happy and I believe we would then have a complete team. In the 3rd through 7th rounds, draft a corner, some interior offensive linemen and maybe another linebacker to add some young depth.

bah007
11-01-2006, 11:34 AM
I say we get a good offensive tackle, preferably Joe Thomas, and then wait till the second round and pickup tom zbikowski for safety out of notre dame. Zbikowski could be just as big as a steal as demeco ryans was for this year.

If this happend I would be sooo very happy and I believe we would then have a complete team. In the 3rd through 7th rounds, draft a corner, some interior offensive linemen and maybe another linebacker to add some young depth.

I dont know why you would want Zbikowski on your team. I wouldnt even draft him in the 2nd round.

He is a good punt returner. He has very decent speed for a S.

But he has slow play recognition & even with his speed he gets beat A LOT on pass plays, even by TEs.

real
11-01-2006, 11:38 AM
I dont know why you would want Zbikowski on your team. I wouldnt even draft him in the 2nd round.

He is a good punt returner. He has very decent speed for a S.

But he has slow play recognition & even with his speed he gets beat A LOT on pass plays, even by TEs.

I don't like how his game translates to the next level what so ever....I wouldn't even say he's a good punt returner...If I were weiss I'd put someone else back there.....

bah007
11-01-2006, 11:46 AM
I don't like how his game translates to the next level what so ever....I wouldn't even say he's a good punt returner...If I were weiss I'd put someone else back there.....

He is a good college punt returner cuz he just runs everyone over & then burns it down the sideline.

That wont work in the NFL.

My point was that people only notice him cuz he is a good punt returner in college.

And cuz of that whole amateur boxing thing.

SF49erFaithful
11-01-2006, 07:41 PM
yeah and chambers hasn't ducked any balls thrown his way, either.
http://forum.ninercaphell.com/images/smilies/lloydduck.gif

Lloyd sucks.

SF49erFaithful
11-01-2006, 07:43 PM
i'm not dealing with trades, and joe thomas IS good enough to go #1 overall. no doubt about it.

branch has been excellent, and a school having a history of busts at a position hasn't stopped anyone before, so the niners need a NT, and branch is the best available.

landry is definitely a top 10 player.

Branch would play DE in the 3-4, not NT.

A NT I really do like though is Amobi Okoye.

rmartin65
11-01-2006, 08:26 PM
I dont know where people get that Zbikowskie is not fast. Watch some highlights of the Fiesta Bowl, he caught Ted Ginn from behind.

Bubbajwp
11-01-2006, 09:13 PM
I dont know where people get that Zbikowskie is not fast. Watch some highlights of the Fiesta Bowl, he caught Ted Ginn from behind.

I think he meant that Zbikowskie wasnt quick with his decisions. Not that he wasnt fast.

Bubbajwp
11-01-2006, 09:14 PM

Lloyd sucks.

I realy dont know what to say about this.:loser :shocked

SF49erFaithful
11-01-2006, 09:17 PM
I realy dont know what to say about this.:loser :shocked

"Ducky" or "Lloyd sucks" would work.

mexican_texan
11-01-2006, 09:17 PM

Lloyd sucks.
When did Jabar Gaffney play for the Niners?

TexansSeminole
11-02-2006, 12:00 AM
Haha.

What I would ideally want for our first two picks(say we draft 8th, so that gives us the 40th):

8th overall selection: LaRon Landry S LSU (or Leon Hall CB Michigan if he is available).
40th overall selection: Buster Davis LB FSU (Michael Griffin S Texas if we get Leon Hall)

whiskeyrbl
11-02-2006, 02:19 AM
Haha.

What I would ideally want for our first two picks(say we draft 8th, so that gives us the 40th):

8th overall selection: LaRon Landry S LSU (or Leon Hall CB Michigan if he is available).
40th overall selection: Buster Davis LB FSU (Michael Griffin S Texas if we get Leon Hall)

I agree with your 1st rd. pick,but in Rd. 2 I would take Paul Puslusny or Pat Willis at LB.

Penn State senior MLB Paul Posluszny recorded a season-high 13 tackles vs. Illinois last week, in addition to forcing a fumble that was returned for a TD, and he has begun to look more natural playing on the knee he injured at the end of last season and more comfortable playing inside. Although NFL scouts have been very critical of his performance early this year, he has the ability to start in the NFL and should be able to contribute fairly readily. And his intangibles, work ethic and desire will very likely position him in the first round.www.profootballweekly.com

painekiller
11-02-2006, 02:29 AM
I agree with your 1st rd. pick,but in Rd. 2 I would take Paul Puslusny or Pat Willis at LB.

OK I agree with you that I am not sold on Buster Davis, but I am hoping a Posz and/or Willis are available at #40. Last ranking I saw had both as solid middle of the round 1st round picks. Posz has dropped from a top 10 pick but he has not fallen to a 2nd rounder just yet.

All that said every year someone drops unexpectedly and if one of those does drop I would jump all over them at 40. Posz does have a knee that has 2partial tears so it could happen.

TexansSeminole
11-02-2006, 02:41 AM

Penn State senior MLB Paul Posluszny recorded a season-high 13 tackles vs. Illinois last week, in addition to forcing a fumble that was returned for a TD, and he has begun to look more natural playing on the knee he injured at the end of last season and more comfortable playing inside. Although NFL scouts have been very critical of his performance early this year, he has the ability to start in the NFL and should be able to contribute fairly readily. And his intangibles, work ethic and desire will very likely position him in the first round.www.profootballweekly.com

Posluszny was a top 15 ranked player last year for the draft...despite the fact that it looks like he has dropped this year, he hasn't, and he will def go in the first round. Pat Willis looks like he is going to go in the 1st as well...though I would rather have Buster Davis anyway.

P.S. Griffin has 85 tackles on the season now.

kastofsna
11-02-2006, 08:43 AM
anyone catch the boise state/fresno state game last night? boy, Marcus McCauley SUCKS. move him to safety. he's hopeless on a WR.

bah007
11-02-2006, 03:13 PM
anyone catch the boise state/fresno state game last night? boy, Marcus McCauley SUCKS. move him to safety. he's hopeless on a WR.

I dont think he sucks but he came into this season being seriously considered as one of the top CB prospects & has severly disappointed.

The entire Fresno St team is a disaster.

bigbrewster2000
11-02-2006, 05:27 PM
My early opinion:

That would be a terrible reach for Houston. Griffin is likely a very late 1st rounder or 2nd rounder. I would take Leon Hall CB from Michigan there.

TexansSeminole
11-02-2006, 11:19 PM
That would be a terrible reach for Houston. Griffin is likely a very late 1st rounder or 2nd rounder. I would take Leon Hall CB from Michigan there.

If we can get him, I doubt he lasts past the 7th pick.

Bah, Griffin is not really a liability in pass coverage at all.

bah007
11-03-2006, 09:29 AM

No he isnt a liability in pass coverage but he bites on play action way too hard which leads to him getting beat deep.

bah007
11-03-2006, 09:39 AM

I dont think that the #2 safety (some people wouldnt say so but most would) is a terrible reach at that draft position.

If you actually read my mock it says in there that #9 might be a little bit early for him.

Not much tho, considering most people have him going mid-first.

TexansSeminole
11-03-2006, 05:22 PM
No he isnt a liability in pass coverage but he bites on play action way too hard which leads to him getting beat deep.

How many times have you seen him bite on a fake? I've honestly seen him been beat off play action twice in his career. I'm sure it is more but everyone gets beat sometimes. I think Landry is a bit better in pass coverage than Griffin, but Griffin is better in run support and short pass plays to come up and make the tackle. Not to say that they aren't both good at pass coverage and run support.

bah007
11-03-2006, 05:29 PM
How many times have you seen him bite on a fake? I've honestly seen him been beat off play action twice in his career. I'm sure it is more but everyone gets beat sometimes. I think Landry is a bit better in pass coverage than Griffin, but Griffin is better in run support and short pass plays to come up and make the tackle. Not to say that they aren't both good at pass coverage and run support.

Griffin bites on every single play action pass. First, his main job is run support so it isnt that big of a problem. Second, he has the speed to make up ground.

I take it that you dont watch all the Texas games like I do. If you do, then you are like 99% of all fans and you watch the offense from the snap.

Thats no big deal. That is what people pay to see.

But when I played football I played DB. And when I watch football I watch the DBs, not the QB or the RB. Thats just how I like to watch.

bah007
11-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Notice I didnt say that he gets BEAT on play action.

I said he bites.

That just means that he loses a couple of steps to the guy he is covering. It doesnt necessarily mean that he gets beat for a TD (which, as you said, has only happened a few times in his career)

TexansSeminole
11-03-2006, 05:38 PM

I said he bites.

That just means that he loses a couple of steps to the guy he is covering. It doesnt necessarily mean that he gets beat for a TD (which, as you said, has only happened a few times in his career)

I don't watch all the games, no, that's why I asked you how many times you have seen him bite.

I also like to watch DBs cause I played CB in highschool, but from what I have seen, probably 10 of the last 2 seasons, he hasn't bit much.

AustinJB
11-04-2006, 12:21 AM

I said he bites.

I'm confused?

Regardless, I don't really agree. I watch every single Texas game too and I have rarely seen Griffin beat deep. He's always flying all over the field making plays and, if anything covering up for others getting BEAT deep.

YoungTexanFan
11-04-2006, 12:52 AM
I'm confused?

Regardless, I don't really agree. I watch every single Texas game too and I have rarely seen Griffin beat deep. He's always flying all over the field making plays and, if anything covering up for others getting BEAT deep.

Thats not really true. Griffin has the speed to cover the deep routes, but he doesn't do it very well. All this talk about him being better than Michael Huff? Please. Griffin wasn't the best DB from UT last year, and what do you know, he's still not the best DB from UT this year either.

AustinJB
11-04-2006, 01:39 AM
Thats not really true. Griffin has the speed to cover the deep routes, but he doesn't do it very well. All this talk about him being better than Michael Huff? Please. Griffin wasn't the best DB from UT last year, and what do you know, he's still not the best DB from UT this year either.

I don't know what you're seeing. What makes you say he doesn't cover the deep routes well? How many deep touchdown passes has he given up? What is your validation for these statements? He is the one that made the big pick in the RB on a deep pass and tapped down his toes before he went out of bounds. I know this is only one example, but it's not the only time that he's made big plays while in coverage.

As far as Griffin and Huff....stats don't always show the full story, but Griffin was the leading tackler last year and (arguably) had the best overall stats of the two.

bah007
11-04-2006, 03:25 AM
I'm confused?

What I meant to say is the following:

Griffin rarely gets beat deep. But he bites on play action hard which causes him to lose some steps to the guy he is covering.

He has great speed & is usually able to catch up to his guy but on occasion he doesnt.

With some good recognition coaching he will become more instinctive & will be able to recognize the difference between play action & an actual run.

bigbrewster2000
11-04-2006, 08:24 AM

I was going off of his quick 10 specifically. Personally I want to see Laron Landry in a Texans uniform then take a CB in the 2nd and a LB in the 3rd or vise versa.

bigbrewster2000
11-04-2006, 08:28 AM
I dont think that the #2 safety (some people wouldnt say so but most would) is a terrible reach at that draft position.

If you actually read my mock it says in there that #9 might be a little bit early for him.

Not much tho, considering most people have him going mid-first.

Most people have him in the later part of the 1st round 20-25 range and since we will likely be picking top 10 that is a reach. That being said it is still early as the college season is not over and everything changes after Allstar games and the combine. And given the choice Leon Hall looks like a better pick there.

Roughnecks
11-05-2006, 12:43 AM
What year is Troy Smith (from Ohio State) in, and if goes to the draft were does he go, anybody. I am in no way saying Houston should draft him I do not see Houston drafting a QB at all well I would not mind Kolb from UH if we could get him late he could be good if he sits a year anyway I like Carr please do not start cutting on me I just think he will be alright come next year and if you sign someone like Kolb in the late round and let Kubes mold him into the QB he wants while he sits than who knows he could replace Carr if he plays like he did last week.

YoungTexanFan
11-05-2006, 12:46 AM
What year is Troy Smith (from Ohio State) in, and if goes to the draft were does he go, anybody. I am in no way saying Houston should draft him I do not see Houston drafting a QB at all well I would not mind Kolb from UH if we could get him late he could be good if he sits a year anyway I like Carr please do not start cutting on me I just think he will be alright come next year and if you sign someone like Kolb in the late round and let Kubes mold him into the QB he wants while he sits than who knows he could replace Carr if he plays like he did last week.

Smith is probally looking at a solid 2nd round grade right now IMO.

YoungTexanFan
11-05-2006, 12:46 AM
I also think he is the closest thing to McNabb we've had in a long time or will have for a while. :twocents:

kastofsna
11-05-2006, 12:52 AM
i can't see how any team would think of smith as anything lower than a low first-rounder. i'm sure most see him as a mid-first rounder.

AustinJB
11-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Griffin has the speed to cover the deep routes, but he doesn't do it very well.

By chance, did anyone happen to see Griffin this Saturday against Oklahoma St?

4 solo tackles, 1 FF, 2 QB hits, and 1 over-the-shoulder INT on a DEEP pass

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/000_stats/06/ut10.htm#GAME.IND

Landry also played well.

5 solo, 2 assisted, 1 TFL, 1 Sack, 1 PBU

http://www.lsusports.net/downloads1/12842.htm?ATCLID=676023&SPID=2164&DB_OEM_ID=5200&SPSID=27811#GAME.IND

bah007
11-05-2006, 04:35 PM
By chance, did anyone happen to see Griffin this Saturday against Oklahoma St?

4 solo tackles, 1 FF, 2 QB hits, and 1 over-the-shoulder INT on a DEEP pass

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/000_stats/06/ut10.htm#GAME.IND

Landry also played well.

http://www.lsusports.net/downloads1/12842.htm?ATCLID=676023&SPID=2164&DB_OEM_ID=5200&SPSID=27811#GAME.IND

Yeah Griffin was all over the field in that game.

His Willie Mays impression on the INT was amazing.

TexansSeminole
11-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Landry also played well.

Landry had perfect coverage on this important play and let the interception go right between his hands. He had followed a receiver(Meachem) over the middle and outjumped him but could not make the catch. Meachem ended up catching it and scoring on the play. That play put Tennesee up like 24-21 or something like that. This was in the beginning of the 4th quarter too. I was thinking that if he had made that play...he would have had a great day. I was impressed with him though. Griffin also did have a good game.

Buckle
11-06-2006, 09:39 AM
I do like Landry and Griffin but I am starting to hope that we get Leon Hall the CB from Michigan with our 1st round pick if we can't get clements or samuel here, if we do get either of them in free agency then I def think we should trade down and get some extra picks and get the best safety available on the board still. If we do get Hall in the 1st I would like to see us use the 2nd round pick on either a safety or LB which ever has the highest rated prospect still on the board. Imagine Hall and Robinson as our 2 starting corners with Faggins coming in on Nickel packages :drool:

Blake
11-06-2006, 01:24 PM
I was at the UT vs OKST game, and Griffin is just all over the field. He will go with the top 40 picks in the draft. No doubt. He would be a perfect, late first rounder, or early 2nd rounder.

The pick was just awesome, but his nose for the ball is what makes him good. He is super athletic, and just makes plays like Huff last year.

Blake
11-06-2006, 01:38 PM
This is what I want to see at this point in the year.

1. Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma (We would need a top 5 pick for this)
2. Michael Griffin, S, Texas (I think he will go top 40)
If Griffin is gone, i will take Justin Blalock, OG, Texas, or another top S.
3. Kevin Kolb, QB, Houston
4. Insert Sleeper pick from small school who can run 100MPH.
5. Mason Crosby, K, Colorado
6. Daniel Sepulveda, P, Baylor
7. Obi Oluigbo, FB, Michigan (Cook needs a push)

V Man
11-06-2006, 02:12 PM

Not bad, but no LB and no secondary if Griffin is gone (and we need both of those.) Plus Sepulveda could be gotten in the 7th or possibly as a undrafted free agent.

real
11-06-2006, 02:15 PM

I dislike the draft very much...

I doubt Griffin makes it to the second rd....

And I wouldn't be terribly upset with Peterson, but I think there would be better otions if we ended up with a top 5er...

If we're sold on Carr I don't like Kolb in the third....

And I don't like the idea of taking a kicker and punteer with two of our picks...

TexansSeminole
11-06-2006, 04:12 PM
As of November 06, 2006 (if all those juniors are available):

1. Arizona - Joe Thomas-OT, Wisconsin (They need OL bad)
2. Cleveland - Adrian Peterson-HB, Oklahoma (Their current RB sucks)
3. Detroit - Brady Quinn-QB, Notre Dame (Need QB for future)
4. Miami - Calvin Johnson-WR, Georgia Tech (Need WR opposite Chambers)
5. Tennessee - Dwayne Jarrett-WR, USC (Been a bit injured this season, hasn't played to his abilities but he will have a great combine and his 2000 receiving yards he racked up in the 2 years b4 this year will get him here. You know Norm Chow likes him.)
6. Tampa Bay - Leon Hall-CB, Michigan (Ronde is getting older, and they have no good CB opposite him)
7. Oakland - Kenny Irons-RB, Auburn (LaMont Jordan is just not going to do it for this team, and they have a good backup in Justin Fargas. I c them dealing Jordan)
8. Houston - LaRon Landry-FS, LSU (Texans need a cover guy in the secondary who isn't scared to hit, Landry fits this need)
9. Buffalo - Levi Brown-OT, Penn St. (Losman has been sacked 23 times this season; more than David Carr)
10. Green Bay - Daymeion Hughes-CB, California (Green Bay's corners are getting old, and they need some youth at that spot. They could also use a SS but they are too high to grab one at this spot.)

Meloy
11-06-2006, 05:11 PM
IMO if Gaither or Thomas is avail @ whatever pick we have that should be the selection. 2nd round for corner 3. I agree with Kolb regardless of what Carr is doing. Give Kolb 1-2 years with clip board & then will be in 6th or 7th year. Then who is best starts. 4th. Another Davis/ Lundy pick 5th. Best linebacker or DT available.

kastofsna
11-07-2006, 12:59 PM
using ESPN's latest power rankings:

1: Arizona - Joe Thomas, T, Wisconsin
2: Houston - Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech
3: Tampa Bay - Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
4: Oakland - Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
5: Tennessee - Leon Hall, CB, Michigan
6: Cleveland - Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal
7: Detroit - Jared Gaither, T, Maryland
8: San Francisco - LaRon Landry, S, LSU
9: Miami - Sam Baker, T, USC
10: Green Bay - Daymeion Hughes, CB, Cal

Errant Hothy
11-07-2006, 01:06 PM

I won't deny that Johnson is a beast I just don't see us taking another WR with a top 3 pick; too much money wrapped up in a position that is overly dependant on the QB. I say take any of the guys listed 4 through 10 or trade down. Just my take.

V Man
11-07-2006, 01:10 PM

I won't deny that Johnson is a beast I just don't see us taking another WR with a top 3 pick; too much money wrapped up in a position that is overly dependant on the QB. I say take any of the guys listed 4 through 10 or trade down. Just my take.

I am saying if that is the case, we will seriously be trying to trade down.

V Man
11-07-2006, 01:14 PM

Are you using any other criteria for this also, because ESPN's current power rankings we are at 28 not 31. We should be drafting 5th according to it.

painekiller
11-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Are you using any other criteria for this also, because ESPN's current power rankings we are at 28 not 31. We should be drafting 5th according to it.

I like picking #5. There is no wrong pick. Hall, Gaither, Landry, all help us get better. No one is second guessing GB for taking Hawk, or SF for taking Davis. Good solid pick.

kastofsna
11-07-2006, 02:53 PM
actually check that....i used sportsline's power rankings.

V Man
11-07-2006, 02:56 PM
actually check that....i used sportsline's power rankings.

Cool, do you have a link to those rankings. I like reading what different people have to say about the different teams.

kastofsna
11-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Cool, do you have a link to those rankings. I like reading what different people have to say about the different teams.

http://sportsline.com/nfl/powerrankings

V Man
11-07-2006, 03:08 PM
http://sportsline.com/nfl/powerrankings

Thanks for the link.

I am too lazy to look for myself and I knew you would have it right on hand.

bah007
11-07-2006, 06:09 PM
1. Arizona: Joe Thomas - OT, Wisconsin (best pick for them)
2. Cleveland: Calvin Johnson - WR, Georgia Tech (need help on the OL but this is BPA)
3. Oakland: Gaines Adams - DE, Clemson (need a QB but Al Davis doesnt draft them)
4. Tennessee: Daymeion Hughes - CB, California (Hall is a good pick also but they need the ballhawk more than the shutdown corner)
5. Detroit: Brian Brohm - QB, Louisville (could get Quinn also but Im more impressed with Brohm)
6. Houston: Leon Hall - CB, Michigan (I like Landry but this is the better pick here)
7. Tampa Bay: LaRon Landry - S, LSU (solid player would complement the good CBs they have)
8. Pittsburgh: Marshawn Lynch - HB, California (cant go wrong with either RB here)
9. Miami: Brady Quinn - QB, Notre Dame (they could trade up for him, but if you can get him here, you dont have to pay him as much)
10. Buffalo: Jared Gaither - OT, Maryland (physical freak, but he may not enter the draft early)

hot pickle
11-12-2006, 01:16 AM
we better take a DB in the draft

either

landry
hughes
griffin
hall
ross (got beat acouple times tonight, might drop his stock to the 2nd to 3rd round)

i like daymeion hughes (new avatar supporting it) although he didn't have the greatest game today

painekiller
11-12-2006, 02:11 AM
ross (got beat acouple times tonight, might drop his stock to the 2nd to 3rd round)

I believe only Texas fans had thoughts of him going in the 1st round.

kastofsna
11-12-2006, 02:13 AM
even if he was a first rounder, getting beat a couple times in one game isn't going to drop your stock that far.

TexanSam
11-12-2006, 02:17 AM
we better take a DB in the draft

either

landry
hughes
griffin
hall

i like daymeion hughes (new avatar supporting it) although he didn't have the greatest game today

I think a LB is a bigger priority. Demeco is awesome, but Shantee Orr and Morlon Greenwood stink. At least Petey is servicable as a 2nd CB.

GoTexans
11-12-2006, 02:38 AM
Texans aren't drafting a RB in the first round.

Kubiak likes drafting backs towards the later rounds because his system is so good he can pull it off..Wali Lundy in the sixth round last year. Plus DD will be off the IR.

Texans will draft either Leon Hall from Michigan or LaRon Landry from LSU in the first round. They cannot do anything to stop the pass.

Errant Hothy
11-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Texans aren't drafting a RB in the first round.

Kubiak likes drafting backs towards the later rounds because his system is so good he can pull it off..Wali Lundy in the sixth round last year. Plus DD will be off the IR.

Proof that Kubiaks is against taking a RB in the first (cause inhis first year as a HC and in control of a draft he tried his ass off to trade back into the first to draft...A RB). Now if the statement was Shannan was aginst drafting a Rb in teh first I'd but it.

And proof teh DD is going to ever be healthy again, becasue general consensus is that he is sadly done.

threetoedpete
11-15-2006, 11:00 PM
I've been on his bandwagon since watching tapes of Vernon Davis last year. I just recently found out that he is indeed eligable for the NFL draft this year because he went to military school for a year, and will be 3 years removed from HS.

Now, this is a BIG 'ol boy. He can move with you though, and he has very long arms. He is about 330 I believe, but he is more athleticly gifted than Fergueson was last year or than Thomas is this year. He is the LT version of Mario athleticly, but he has already produced consistently and has yet to allow a sack.

Just the watch the Clemson vs Maryland game again. I'm convinced after wathcing him go against Gains Adams he can play either side. The sky is the limit with this guy. I'm more than on board now. Joe Thomas has HOFer written all over him, but I could really love watching Spencer and Gather work together on the same line for the next ten years. If he declairs and he falls to us I can't see the club passing on the guy.

threetoedpete
11-15-2006, 11:10 PM

Agreed. I've been scolded on this board many times, but I can't see any organization having two #1 recievers. The only exception for this would be if they were certain that A.J. was going to play out his contract and bolt. The good news with this scenario is that we have a chance to work the phones move down and grab the beast. Detroit is hot for Wrs.

With the third win , and I concure with kasts Thomas assement, he'll be off the board when we come up.

run-david-run
11-16-2006, 04:29 AM
Agreed. I've been scolded on this board many times, but I can't see any organization having two #1 recievers. The only exception for this would be if they were certain that A.J. was going to play out his contract and bolt. The good news with this scenario is that we have a chance to work the phones move down and grab the beast. Detroit is hot for Wrs.

With the third win , and I concure with kasts Thomas assement, he'll be off the board when we come up.

We are a while away from AJ's contract running out, and if it comes to that we can always use the franchise tag.

real
11-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Oakland Raiders - *Brian Brohm, QB Louisville
Unless Andrew Walter shows a lot of promise over the second half of the season, the Raiders should capitalize on this opportunity to obtain a potential franchise quarterback. But don’t you just get the feeling Al will fall in love with some freak athlete, like Georgia Tech’s Calvin Johnson, and select him instead?

2. Arizona Cardinals - Joe Thomas, OT Wisconsin
Matt Leinart has tremendous potential and plenty of weapons to work with. Now the team needs to protect him with some talent on the offensive line. Drafting Thomas would allow the team to move big Leonard Davis to guard, where he’s a more natural fit.

3. Cleveland Browns - *Calvin Johnson, WR Georgia Tech
Unless the Browns are ready to give up on Charlie Frye, Johnson represents the best value at this point. The team used its top pick on Braylon Edwards in 2005, but Joe Jurevicius will be 32 next season and there‘s not a lot of talent behind him.

4. Detroit Lions - Brady Quinn, QB Notre Dame
The Lions made a mistake in passing on Matt Leinart in the ‘06 draft. If Quinn is still available, they can’t afford to pass on him.

5. Tennessee Titans - *Ted Ginn Jr., WR Ohio State
If the Titans want to take full advantage of Vince Young’s abilities, they need playmakers who will help spread the field. And Ginn has the speed to stretch the field vertically.

6. Miami Dolphins - *Frank Okam, DT Texas
The Dolphins are ancient at defensive tackle, so they should look to add some youth to the position early in the draft. Okam is a huge run-stuffer, who could take over for Keith Traylor, who will be 38-years old next season.

7. San Francisco 49ers - Leon Hall, CB Michigan
The 49ers are near the bottom of the league in pass defense and need an upgrade on the right side. Walt Harris will be 33 next season, so the position should be high on the team‘s list of needs to fill in the offseason.

8. Buffalo Bills - *Jake Long, OT Michigan
This is a little bit of a stretch for Long, who probably belongs about five to ten picks lower. But the Bills are desperate to find some consistency at left tackle.

Green Bay Packers - *Adrian Peterson, RB Oklahoma
It’s obvious Ahman Green isn’t the back he once was, and Vernand Morency doesn’t appear to be the guy to fill that role. Peterson has a knack for making big plays, and a strong running game could go a long way toward making the eventual transition from Brett Favre to Aaron Rogers a little smoother.

10. Washington Redskins - Gaines Adams, DE Clemson
Phillip Daniels is 33 years old, and has never really been a big pass-rushing threat. Adams might be a little small at 260 pounds, but he could contribute immediately as a pass-rush specialist. He also has the frame to put on another 10-15 pounds without losing much of his agility.

11. Houston Texans - *Marshawn Lynch, RB California
The Texans passed on Reggie Bush in the 2006 draft, only to see starter Dominick Davis sidelined the entire season by injury. If they get a shot at either Peterson or Lynch, I would expect them to take it.

Whole Mock Draft (http://football.about.com/cs/nfldraft/a/bl_mockdraft_2.htm)

A lot of these picks don't look realistic to me...

I don't agree with our pick....I love Lynch...But I think we have greater needs...They have Landry going at 18....If we could trade back to around 15 and still pick him up, as well as getting an extra pick out of the deal, I'd jump all over it....

bah007
11-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Whole Mock Draft (http://football.about.com/cs/nfldraft/a/bl_mockdraft_2.htm)

A lot of these picks don't look realistic to me...

I don't agree with our pick....I love Lynch...But I think we have greater needs...They have Landry going at 18....If we could trade back to around 15 and still pick him up, as well as getting an extra pick out of the deal, I'd jump all over it....

If Ted Ginn is the 2nd WR drafted I will eat my shorts. No way is he a top 5 pick.

real
11-16-2006, 09:35 AM
If Ted Ginn is the 2nd WR drafted I will eat my shorts. No way is he a top 5 pick.

I'm not a Ginn fan...but how many recievers do you think are better than him/ will be drafted before him ?

bah007
11-16-2006, 09:40 AM
I'm not a Ginn fan...but how many recievers do you think are better than him/ will be drafted before him ?

Jason Hill (Washington St)... most people will not know who this guy is on draft day. He's a stud.
Dwayne Jarrett (USC)... if he declares early
Sidney Rice (South Carolina)... if he declares early
Jeff Samardzija (Notre Dame)... I think he is overrated but he is still better than Ginn

real
11-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Jason Hill (Washington St)... most people will not know who this guy is on draft day. He's a stud.
Jeff Samardzija (Notre Dame)... I think he is overrated but he is still better than Ginn

I haven't seen Hill play...

But I'd agree about the other three...

kastofsna
11-16-2006, 10:11 AM
hill's a good player. the derek hagan of this year's draft. but he won't get drafted ahead of ginn.

run-david-run
11-16-2006, 01:53 PM

And obviously Calvin Johnson will be the first WR drafted, possibly the first player drafted. I think Ginn is somewhat overrated, but it will be interesting to see if his game translates to the NFL.

TexansSeminole
11-16-2006, 02:19 PM
I think a LB is a bigger priority. Demeco is awesome, but Shantee Orr and Morlon Greenwood stink. At least Petey is servicable as a 2nd CB.

Yea, I think LB is a bigger problem than CB...but Safety in this league is such a important position and we dont seem to have one.

I remember Ozzie was talking about Ed Reed and he said that he doesn't understand how teams can be successful without a safety who can play the run hard and cover a slot receiver like a corner. He was talking about how Ed adds a whole new dimension to the defense. He says the Ravens dont have to go into a nickel package when 3 receivers are on the field because Ed can cover that slot receiver as if he were a cornerback. We need a guy like that IMO.

They have Landry going at 18....If we could trade back to around 15 and still pick him up, as well as getting an extra pick out of the deal, I'd jump all over it....

I agree, if that deal is possible, let's do it. My only thing is that I dont think Landry will last past 15. Safeties are a huge priority in this league now and Landry is the most proven safety in the draft (has been playing for a good LSU defense since his FRESHMAN year) and he is a leader on his excellent defense.

Bottom Line: If we want Landry, specifically, we need to be picking right around 10. I think that is where we will be. I think we will have a shot at him, it's just about if we want him or not.

And on receivers: I'd say that the #2 receiver in the draft behind Johnson is Dwayne Jarrett. He is a serious weapon, but as bah said he is a junior and would need to declare early.

bah007
11-21-2006, 11:10 AM
1. Detroit- Brady Quinn, QB - Notre Dame
2. Oakland- Calvin Johnson, WR - Georgia Tech
3. Arizona- Joe Thomas, OT - Wisconsin
4. Cleveland- Marshawn Lynch, HB - California
5. Washington- Daymeion Hughes, CB - California
6. Tampa Bay- Alan Branch, DT - Michigan
7. Houston- Leon Hall, CB - Michigan
8. Tennessee- Gaines Adams, DE - Clemson
9. Green Bay- Adrian Peterson, HB - Oklahoma
10. Minnesota- Brian Brohm, QB - Louisville

canadiantexan
11-21-2006, 12:20 PM
1. Detroit- Brady Quinn, QB - Notre Dame
2. Oakland- Calvin Johnson, WR - Georgia Tech
3. Arizona- Joe Thomas, OT - Wisconsin
4. Cleveland- Marshawn Lynch, HB - California
5. Washington- Daymeion Hughes, CB - California
6. Tampa Bay- Alan Branch, DT - Michigan
7. Houston- Leon Hall, CB - Michigan
8. Tennessee- Gaines Adams, DE - Clemson
9. Green Bay- Adrian Peterson, HB - Oklahoma
10. Minnesota- Brian Brohm, QB - Louisville

I would love to have Leon Hall and D-Rob playing together. I'm a big Michigan fan and have seen him all year as I live very close to Michigan, let me tell you he is the real deal. After the Bills game people must realize Faggins is not a NFL caliber starting corner(nickel at best).

Do you guys think Merriweather(sp?) is 1st or 2nd rounder. If He goes in the second I'd love to take him just not in the first.

P.S. Ohio State we will have our revenge :hunter:

kastofsna
11-21-2006, 12:38 PM
meriweather is a 2nd rounder at this point.

nunusguy
11-21-2006, 03:28 PM
I would love to have Leon Hall and D-Rob playing together. I'm a big Michigan fan and have seen him all year as I live very close to Michigan, let me tell you he is the real deal.
I watched him in Saturdays game vs. OSU, and looked like he got beat
pretty bad on one play in particular ?
How did you think DT Branch played Saturday ? If Branch comes out, will he
be the highest drafted Michigan player in the 2007 college Draft ?

bah007
11-21-2006, 03:36 PM
I watched him in Saturdays game vs. OSU, and looked like he got beat
pretty bad on one play in particular ?
How did you think DT Branch played Saturday ? If Branch comes out, will he
be the highest drafted Michigan player in the 2007 college Draft ?

Probably not.

The demand for CBs will be high in next year's first round so it is most likely that Hall will be selected first, especially since he is rated as a definite top 2 CB.

Ole Miss Texan
11-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Merriweather is a good player but not a good fit for the texans because of the whole "miami stereotype" and the fight/brawl imo. I would not be happy if we drafted him in the 1st or 2nd round. If he fell to the 3rd or so my morals and mcnair/kubes may be out the window. I just dont want that attitude on our team.

bah007
11-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Merriweather is a good player but not a good fit for the texans because of the whole "miami stereotype" and the fight/brawl imo. I would not be happy if we drafted him in the 1st or 2nd round. If he fell to the 3rd or so my morals and mcnair/kubes may be out the window. I just dont want that attitude on our team.

I never thought that he was a 1st round talent. I dont think he is the best safety on Miam's team.

Kenny Phillips looks way better but he isnt eligible for the draft.

There are about 5 safeties I would take before Merriweather. The attitude problems & reputation certainly dont help him either.

painekiller
11-21-2006, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=canadiantexan;506517]
Do you guys think Merriweather(sp?) is 1st or 2nd rounder. If He goes in the second I'd love to take him just not in the first.

[QUOTE]

The scouting reports I have read on Merriweather are questioning his desire to hit someone. Not a good question for a safety, many are thinking of moving him to CB to coverup his lack of tackling skills and smallish body.

I would rather take John Wendling out of Wyoming in the 2nd.

YoungTexanFan
11-21-2006, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=canadiantexan;506517]

[QUOTE]

The scouting reports I have read on Merriweather are questioning his desire to hit someone. Not a good question for a safety, many are thinking of moving him to CB to coverup his lack of tackling skills and smallish body.

I would rather take John Wendling out of Wyoming in the 2nd.

I wouldn't take him in the second.

Bubbajwp
11-21-2006, 06:09 PM
I could definetly see him slipping to the third round.

TexansSeminole
11-21-2006, 06:26 PM
If I was the Texans I just wouldn't take him period...doesn't fit with the team...there are other safeties.

threetoedpete
11-22-2006, 12:53 PM
And obviously Calvin Johnson will be the first WR drafted, possibly the first player drafted. I think Ginn is somewhat overrated, but it will be interesting to see if his game translates to the NFL.

We will find out what the league scouts say about Ginn Jr. early day one. For my money I take the guy off that team that makes his living working over the middle and is a ball snatcher, not a body trapper. I take Gonzales, not nessicarrily first round, and never look back. Ginn Jr. might prove all his detractors wrong, but he doesn't have the guns that Steve Smith does, and without the fly pattern, he's a one trick poney. Anyone seen him catch anything over the middle on a crossing route ? He beat the heck out of the Texas DBs...but I'm thinking now, that's not saying very much. I've got "danger Will Robinson" written all over the guy. We'll see.

threetoedpete
11-22-2006, 01:02 PM

Thank you. That makles two of us. At least it isn't an All Day pick. I give the guy some credit. He's looking in the correct direction. Still with beerlover, start looking for the big corner who translates to FS.

threetoedpete
11-22-2006, 01:09 PM
I dislike the draft very much...

I doubt Griffin makes it to the second rd....

And I wouldn't be terribly upset with Peterson, but I think there would be better otions if we ended up with a top 5er...

If we're sold on Carr I don't like Kolb in the third....

And I don't like the idea of taking a kicker and punteer with two of our picks...

Well one thing about it TX, he's got us back in the top ten for '08. Like your kicker picks. And if we were one or two players away it would be a great idea. But, they got a plethera of special teams guys. They need starters. They need to hit this draft early and often looking for players who can start. As bad as our kickers have been this year, the teams tallent is so bad that would be a luxuary they can't afford.