PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Peterson scenarios, interesting!

David's Busted Carr
10-17-2006, 02:21 PM
The end of this season could be deja vu for the Texans!

Week 17 we play Cleveland! A game which could be labeled "The Adrian Peterson" bowl.

Look at the BAD right now and who needs a RB:

Oakland (0-5)? NO - Lamont Jordan
Tampa Bay(1-4)? NO - Cadillac Williams
Detroit(1-5)? NO - Kevin Jones
Miami(1-5)? NO - Ronnie Brown
Buffalo(2-4)? NO - Willis McGahee

Green Bay(1-4)? YES
Cleveland(1-4)? YES
Tennessee(1-5)? YES, and Bud Adams would LOVE to stick it to us again
Houston(1-4)? ABSOLUTELY!!!

So if you are cheering for the Texans to get Peterson you better hope we finish worse than the Pack, Browns, & Titans or he's GONE.

I think GB will win at least 4-5 games this year.

So it comes down to Houston, Tennessee, and Cleveland.

So depending on how we fare with Tennessee this year, it could very well come down to that final game just like it did last year!

WOW, would that be ironic!

infantrycak
10-17-2006, 02:25 PM
Tennessee?--doubtful. Henry just ripped off 178 yds and they drafted LenDale White last year.

V Man
10-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Don't think that as much as Bud would love to stick it to us, I don't see them taking a RB. They already have Henry, White and Brown under contract, that is a lot of money in the RB position. Plus they need a WR for Vince to throw to.:twocents:

Vinny
10-17-2006, 02:29 PM
hey, lets draft an injury prone rb with our top pick and give him 60 mil!

David's Busted Carr
10-17-2006, 02:34 PM

Yeah, you're right. Lets just keeping picking up everyone else's FAT TURD leftovers so they can run for 14 yards per game.

And a fluke collar bone injury does not make someone injury prone. The guy has never had a serious leg injury in his career and that is what matters for RBs.

infantrycak
10-17-2006, 02:41 PM
Yeah, you're right. Lets just keeping picking up everyone else's FAT TURD leftovers so they can run for 14 yards per game.

Or we could not try to hit the home run 6th rounder without moving all the way up to tremendously overpaid top 5 pick and look for someone like Maurice Drew or Jerius Norwood in the upcoming draft.

profan
10-17-2006, 02:42 PM

And a fluke collar bone injury does not make someone injury prone. The guy has never had a serious leg injury in his career and that is what matters for RBs.

He's been injured the last two seasons at oklahoma. What would a grueling 16 game schedule do to him? I see him slipping in the draft.

Reddevil63
10-17-2006, 02:42 PM

he has been banged up since his freshman year

Vinny
10-17-2006, 02:43 PM

you don't need to be an extremist....there are 7 rounds and you can find a starting rb in the 2nd thru 4th rounds...historically thats where most of the backs are taken since rb is such high turnover position. Peterson has had injuries every year....he's just an injury waiting to happen.

David's Busted Carr
10-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Or we could not try to hit the home run 6th rounder without moving all the way up to tremendously overpaid top 5 pick and look for someone like Maurice Drew or Jerius Norwood in the upcoming draft.

LOL, yeah! With the Texans track record for draft picks, I'm sure they will find the next Terrell Davis in the 6th round!

They can't even get a first round pick right...

LMAO, that was classic.

infantrycak
10-17-2006, 02:50 PM
LOL, yeah! With the Texans track record for draft picks, I'm sure they will find the next Terrell Davis in the 6th round!

They can't even get a first round pick right...

LMAO, that was classic.

Pull your head out--that is exactly the opposite of what I was saying. Look at the examples I gave--a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder--1st day picks. Heck even bottom half of the 1st is fine but sadly that will be a trade up scenario for the Texans.

Kaiser Toro
10-17-2006, 03:01 PM
I love AP, much in same fashion most were and are gaga over Bush. I just cannot fathom spending a top 5 pick on him when we still have Carr and AJ's contracts to contend with. Trade down, draft OL, LB or Secondary with the first.

El Tejano
10-17-2006, 03:04 PM
I think we should go with a defensive player in the first and get a 2nd round RB.

Tell me what other RB is better than Peterson at this time though?

CoastalTexan
10-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Defense and Oline are the only possibilities in the 1st I think. And most likely not Oline. Hopefully FS or CB.

wags
10-17-2006, 03:17 PM

Steve Slaton from WVU

kastofsna
10-17-2006, 03:52 PM
marshawn lynch.

Errant Hothy
10-17-2006, 04:49 PM

Jamaal Charles

HomeBred_Texan
10-17-2006, 05:17 PM
I am sticking with my guns and going against you guys.

A Running Back needs to be picked up with out FIRST pick in the FIRST round. We have stalled around way to long trying and trying to find someone late and it hasn't worked yet. Let's quit the crap and grab the best RB available with out first pick and be done with it...

As of todate, does anyone know how many picks we have used in 4 years of drafting looking for that late bloomer in the dang draft already?

infantrycak
10-17-2006, 06:04 PM

A Running Back needs to be picked up with out FIRST pick in the FIRST round. We have stalled around way to long trying and trying to find someone late and it hasn't worked yet. Let's quit the crap and grab the best RB available with out first pick and be done with it...

As of todate, does anyone know how many picks we have used in 4 years of drafting looking for that late bloomer in the dang draft already?

Was DeMeco a gamble on a late pick? No. There are rounds in between 1 and 7. Really, my objection ends at about pick #12 or so. Above that--a RB better be spotless and above 5 or so would actually have to be Barry Sanders, not just get compared to him. A RB who is very impressive when healthy but has only played 6 games in two of three college seasons is not spotless.

LORK 88
10-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Agreed. The RB class has some huge talent at top, but also has some decent possibilities in the middle rounds. Personally, I like Jon Cornish or Kenneth Darby in the middle or Kenny Irons in round 2 if he somehow slips (cross your fingers!).

kastofsna
10-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Kenny Irons in round 2 if he somehow slips (cross your fingers!).
cross 'em till they snap in half, it still won't happen.

HomeBred_Texan
10-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Agreed. The RB class has some huge talent at top, but also has some decent possibilities in the middle rounds. Personally, I like Jon Cornish or Kenneth Darby in the middle or Kenny Irons in round 2 if he somehow slips (cross your fingers!).

We are in desperate need of talent, NOT possibilities...

Mark my word, there will be a huge run on RB's in the first round and if we don't get one with our pick, we will be next year talking about what could have been, once again...

Wolf
10-17-2006, 07:34 PM
I agree, If we are picking top 3, I really thing salary capwise we almost have to trade down,unless like someone said, this is the next Barry Sanders

I like Peterson a bunch but I think we need supporting cast around our stars (Daunte,AJ). We need to strike gold in 2nd round (Demeco) and on to get this team out of a funk.

Bubbajwp
10-17-2006, 07:43 PM
I think some of you forgot that we still have DD. Yes he is very injury prone. But with him coming back next year I think we can afford to wait until the second or third round for a RB. :twocents:

Bubbajwp
10-17-2006, 07:44 PM
The end of this season could be deja vu for the Texans!

Week 17 we play Cleveland! A game which could be labeled "The Adrian Peterson" bowl.

Look at the BAD right now and who needs a RB:

Oakland (0-5)? NO - Lamont Jordan
Tampa Bay(1-4)? NO - Cadillac Williams
Detroit(1-5)? NO - Kevin Jones
Miami(1-5)? NO - Ronnie Brown
Buffalo(2-4)? NO - Willis McGahee

Green Bay(1-4)? YES
Cleveland(1-4)? YES
Tennessee(1-5)? YES, and Bud Adams would LOVE to stick it to us again
Houston(1-4)? ABSOLUTELY!!!

So if you are cheering for the Texans to get Peterson you better hope we finish worse than the Pack, Browns, & Titans or he's GONE.

I think GB will win at least 4-5 games this year.

So it comes down to Houston, Tennessee, and Cleveland.

So depending on how we fare with Tennessee this year, it could very well come down to that final game just like it did last year!

WOW, would that be ironic!

One problem all of these teams know that we need a RB so if there is a certain RB they want they will probably trade infront of us.

hollywood_texan
10-17-2006, 07:55 PM
The last thing the Texans need to do is getting a in bidding war for a #1 draft pick RB in 2007 draft.

This team has so many holes to fill, and running a RB into the ground will probably not yield measurable benefit when the team is making it's Super Bowl run, if it even gets there. I like Adrian Peterson and he will be successful in the NFL, but the current state of Texans is not a good fit for him, particularly when considering the contract required to sign a #1 draft pick.

If the Texans have a top 5 selection in the first round for 2007, they need to trade out, even if it is for less value than what is dictated from past seasons. These high draft picks are too expensive and there is a high possibility we could be getting rid of the first one in the next year or so.

The Texans need to accumulate (get value for Carr, Johnson, and Robinson) as many late first round picks, as well as 2nd and 3rd round picks, for the next two drafts.

If they scout properly, that would be the easiest, cheapest, and quickest way to turn this thing around.

Having top 5 draft picks every year and building your team through free agency is recipe for disaster and just kills any cap strategy.

This team needs to build a core before they spend outrageous money!

awtysst
10-17-2006, 07:57 PM
cross 'em till they snap in half, it still won't happen.

I dont know. I had Demeco projected as a 15-20 and he slipped. You never know.

HomeBred_Texan
10-17-2006, 08:01 PM
I think some of you forgot that we still have DD. Yes he is very injury prone. But with him coming back next year I think we can afford to wait until the second or third round for a RB. :twocents:

We could argue this till the cows come home and I won't agree... We used a previous 2nd round on a rb and how did that turn out...

Now DD, oh my gosh. A 2nd stringer if that on most teams. Injury prone big time. His career may be over, bottom line... Sorry, not a fan of his at all...

BuffSoldier
10-17-2006, 08:15 PM
Forget AP. The Packers will have snapped him up by the time we pick anyway. Instead trade down and pick up Kenny Irons, a very balanced back who has good power and good open field speed, one cut down hill runner who can also make players miss. Also a threat out of the backfield.

My perfect scenario wouldbe to trade down with NE who has 2 first rounders, give them a 4th and let them get a WR like Jarrett or Johnson then draft Leon Hall and Kenny Irons then draft Micheal Griffin at the top of the second. Go OL in the 3rd.

HomeBred_Texan
10-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Forget AP. The Packers will have snapped him up by the time we pick anyway. Instead trade down and pick up Kenny Irons, a very balanced back who has good power and good open field speed, one cut down hill runner who can also make players miss. Also a threat out of the backfield.

I don't know about Green Bay doing that at all. They traded away a WR and now have lost another one for a year for dope. They are going to need to replace them even more now and not a RB...

NFL suspends Robinson one year
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6070148?FSO1&ATT=HMA

Sarg01
10-17-2006, 08:21 PM

One each year as follows:

2002 (Expansion Season's rookie draft) - Wells in the 4th. He started slow but ended up delivering about what you expect from a 4th, quality backup.

2003 - Dom Davis in the 4th, who clearly overperformed. What we wouldn't give for a Davis now ...

2004 - Tony Hollings with #33 overall (ouch), exercised in a supplemental draft in week 3? of the season before, when Stacey Mack was our starter and Oakland's pick was expected to be 60-something and not #33.

2005 - Morency in the 3rd, whom many felt was our best guy coming into the season (I know I did)

2006 - Lundy in the 6th, who still could easily outperform his draft status, that wouldn't take much.

nunusguy
10-17-2006, 09:31 PM
In this years Draft, there clearly are 3 or 4 running backs better than Reggie
Bush just as there may very well be 3 or 4 running backs in next years Draft who are better than AD. Its our job to identify who those backs are in the 2007 Draft.

HomeBred_Texan
10-17-2006, 11:00 PM
So far, we have spent at least 5 draft picks looking for a RB. Now we will have the chance to get one for once and all, and some say no way. How can this be?

Our main goal here is to hope that Kubs scouts do a great job at scouting talent like last years draft over what we had before. If they can nail just that one elite back and then draft defense or whatever anyone wants, I would be happy. Until then, I will be on this board with the I told ya so's...

We have got to make that move to the promised land. O-Line and DB's may can be picked up in FA, but who knows till the off season...

Kaiser Toro
10-17-2006, 11:19 PM
So far, we have spent at least 5 draft picks looking for a RB. Now we will have the chance to get one for once and all, and some say no way. How can this be?

Our main goal here is to hope that Kubs scouts do a great job at scouting talent like last years draft over what we had before. If they can nail just that one elite back and then draft defense or whatever anyone wants, I would be happy. Until then, I will be on this board with the I told ya so's...

We have got to make that move to the promised land. O-Line and DB's may can be picked up in FA, but who knows till the off season...

My feeling still stands, but I will not shed one tear nor make one complaint if we take AP. I just do not think it is the prudent thing to do. Hopefully we will not have this good problem and be picking that low.

Mike Kerns
10-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Kubiak will not take a RB in the first round. He's said it before. If he could pass on Reggie, I am sure he wouldn't think twice about passing on AP. twocents:

edo783
10-18-2006, 10:04 AM
I will admit I have only seen AP once. It looks like he is more of a power runner with some moves and speed that can go up the middle. Should be able to play in the "one cut and go" system. Seems to run more upright (like Dickerson) and will absorbe more punishment because of it.

Given all of that, unless we trade down (I expect us to be at about the #4 pick) and AP falls, I doubt we take him. Just to much risk with a RB above the 10 pick IMO. If we stick in the top 5 I look for us to take the best CB available.

threetoedpete
10-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Was DeMeco a gamble on a late pick? No. There are rounds in between 1 and 7. Really, my objection ends at about pick #12 or so. Above that--a RB better be spotless and above 5 or so would actually have to be Barry Sanders, not just get compared to him. A RB who is very impressive when healthy but has only played 6 games in two of three college seasons is not spotless.

Exactly. If you're picking All Day, the Texans are saying that we're scrapping the zbs and going to a power running game. That is what he is. A power thirty-touches-a-game running back. I don't see Erick Dickerson, Bo Jackson, or even Earl Campbel with this guy. I know he has the hype. I just don't think he fits, like Bush didn't last year, this scheme. You telling me we're switching schemes, fine. Other wise this is pie in the sky feely good bs. And it ain't going to happen unless Kubiak drops down stone cold dead this off season. Live with it.

Vinny
10-18-2006, 12:56 PM
I'm squarely in the trade down camp this year...I like what the Jets did last year with Ferguson and Mangold in the first round. We need a Center something awful....and a real RT would be nice...we have done nothing but play guards and journeymen out there since day one...is Todd Wade in the NFL right now?

texasguy346
10-18-2006, 12:59 PM
...is Todd Wade in the NFL right now?

He's a backup for the Redskins now.

threetoedpete
10-18-2006, 01:06 PM
I'm squarely in the trade down camp this year...I like what the Jets did last year with Ferguson and Mangold in the first round. We need a Center something awful....and a real RT would be nice...we have done nothing but play guards and journeymen out there since day one...is Todd Wade in the NFL right now?

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Now whether we can find a trading partner or not ? I think we've waited long enough. There's several great prospects at the o-line. We go defense first I got no problem with that as long as they come back strong and get Charles Spencer Insurance in the second or third rounds. We end up with some move up ammo with a trade we can pick our guy. Spencers leg will be fine to handle RT. I'm not so sure about LT. Salam's fine as a swing tackle a couple of games a year backing up, but we've got to get a decent prospect for '07. And some where they need to find a right gaurd prospect. They've got to find a running game. Fix the o-line. Five years of bad is long enough.

threetoedpete
10-18-2006, 01:28 PM

Yeah well you're day two picks and FAs on both sides of the ball ain't cutting it. The defensive side of the ball, they are fixing to set the all time record for the worst defense since the merger. The o-line isn't fairing much better. Sacks are down, but the running game is ...may I say ...anemic. You're proven method has proven to suck in my book. We don't need All Day. We need a group of o-lineman that can crank out a 4.0 ypc effort. And All Day, behind a group of FAs and later round hope fulls isn't likely to get us there either. One elite back isn't going to do it. Say it with me no more suck o-lines.
No more suck o-lines. Fix the GD o-line first. Then next year Dorthy, you want a sparkly , studly RB, I'm with ya. Till the o-line gets fixed your line of thought is just well...stupid. Why in the world would you spend capitol on a guy with this group of o-lineman. And how can you believe after all the FAs we've broght in that this time it will work ? Fix the o-line first. And quit spreading this bs "we can get them on day two and in FA Bs. No you can't. We haven't been able to do it in five fricken years. Good Greif. You draft theory sucks big guy. The proof is on the feild this season.

HomeBred_Texan
10-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Yeah well you're day two picks and FAs on both sides of the ball ain't cutting it. The defensive side of the ball, they are fixing to set the all time record for the worst defense since the merger. The o-line isn't fairing much better. Sacks are down, but the running game is ...may I say ...anemic. You're proven method has proven to suck in my book. We don't need All Day. We need a group of o-lineman that can crank out a 4.0 ypc effort. And All Day, behind a group of FAs and later round hope fulls isn't likely to get us there either. One elite back isn't going to do it. Say it with me no more suck o-lines.
No more suck o-lines. Fix the GD o-line first. Then next year Dorthy, you want a sparkly , studly RB, I'm with ya. Till the o-line gets fixed your line of thought is just well...stupid. Why in the world would you spend capitol on a guy with this group of o-lineman. And how can you believe after all the FAs we've broght in that this time it will work ? Fix the o-line first. And quit spreading this bs "we can get them on day two and in FA Bs. No you can't. We haven't been able to do it in five fricken years. Good Greif. You draft theory sucks big guy. The proof is on the feild this season.

Who do you think you are? An NFL guru or something? Don't call me out. You know no more about football than I do. So what the O-Line sucks. It has sucked from Day 1 and no one has fixed it yet. There are allot of O-Linemen that can be snatched up that are darn good ones in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Not my fault they keep spending those choses on rb's year after year. If our RB's didn't suck so bad, why do you think they keep trying to draft one???

My draft theory? So let's continue to draft a D player in the first round. That sure has helped the last couple of years hasn't it? Fix 1 side of the ball first, then fix the other. O should have been fixed along time ago. An Elite RB, an Elite WR, and so on and so on... Give me a break, go rant your opinion somewhere else, I don't have time to listen to your tom foolery...

Don't sit there and tell me the running game sucks in 1 breath and then say we shouldn't get someone in that can fix it once and for all. That is the most horrible statement ever...

Vinny
10-18-2006, 01:39 PM
If our RB's didn't suck so bad, why do you think they keep trying to draft one??? I hate to break this to you but most teams draft a RB nearly every draft. That is a high injury position and backs wear out fast.

HomeBred_Texan
10-18-2006, 01:42 PM
I hate to break this to you but most teams draft a RB nearly every draft. That is a high injury position and backs wear out fast.

But we not only draft them every year, we sign them in from FA. A total waste of time and money. Let's get it right once and for all and move on...:twocents:

Vinny
10-18-2006, 01:44 PM
But we not only draft them every year, we sign them in from FA. A total waste of time and money. Let's get it right once and for all and move on...:twocents:

The Saints drafted Deuce when they had Williams...the Bears drafted Benson when they had a good back in Jones, the Panthers took a back in the first round when they had just drafted a young back the year before and had good backs....the list goes on and on. You just see the Texans and think they are doing something wrong...it's normal stuff pards. RB's are not like OT's where you draft one for a decade....you have to keep signing and drafting backs in the NFL...all the time.

HomeBred_Texan
10-18-2006, 01:47 PM
The Saints drafted Deuce when they had Williams...the Bears drafted Benson when they had a good back in Jones, the Panthers took a back in the first round when they had just drafted a young back the year before and had good backs....the list goes on and on. You just see the Texans and think they are doing something wrong...it's normal stuff pards. RB's are not like OT's where you draft one for a decade....you have to keep signing and drafting backs in the NFL...all the time.

And look where those teams are now. They weren't afraid to pull the trigger on Marquee players in the first round.

Well not so much the Saints, but you know what I mean...

threetoedpete
10-18-2006, 02:06 PM
And look where those teams are now. They weren't afraid to pull the trigger on Marquee players in the first round.

Well not so much the Saints, but you know what I mean...

I'm the fricken guy that's been waiting for five years on the Tony Boselli repacment. You don't get those guys, lynch pin guys, every year. We got three on the board this year. And All Day dose not fit this scheme. Keep going cheap on the o-line. You can live with it I can also. Just don't post this drivel about the o-line and expect me to except it. DD was a fourth round choice. AD dose not will not fit this system. They go after Lynch the CB early we're going to be right back here next year cring about whats wrong with gd o-line. And whats wrong is we've gone cheap for five years. Just stow the Adrian Petterason talk. It's just stupid. And what is wrong is going chaep on the inside. And that's where the rubver meets the road. We gotta have more tallent on the o-line. We need and have needed an OLT for five years. You an OU homer his dad, fine beat his drum. I'm just sick of this BS we're going to fix the line going cheap.

HomeBred_Texan
10-18-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm the fricken guy that's been waiting for five years on the Tony Boselli repacment. You don't get those guys, lynch pin guys, every year. We got three on the board this year. And All Day dose not fit this scheme. Keep going cheap on the o-line. You can live with it I can also. Just don't post this drivel about the o-line and expect me to except it. DD was a fourth round choice. AD dose not will not fit this system. They go after Lynch the CB early we're going to be right back here next year cring about whats wrong with gd o-line. And whats wrong is we've gone cheap for five years. Just stow the Adrian Petterason talk. It's just stupid. And what is wrong is going chaep on the inside. And that's where the rubver meets the road. We gotta have more tallent on the o-line. We need and have needed an OLT for five years. You an OU homer his dad, fine beat his drum. I'm just sick of this BS we're going to fix the line going cheap.

And I am sick of not having a running game. We better not draft D help in the first round.

And quit calling me out, we just disagree... You want O-Linemen, I want a RB. Both play offense...

Bubbajwp
10-18-2006, 03:21 PM
We could argue this till the cows come home and I won't agree... We used a previous 2nd round on a rb and how did that turn out...

Now DD, oh my gosh. A 2nd stringer if that on most teams. Injury prone big time. His career may be over, bottom line... Sorry, not a fan of his at all...

Your right I guess our most consistent player production wise doesnt deserve another chance behind a better oline.

How about we trade down. Get two more oline in the draft. Get a RB in the mid rounds. See what DD can do behind our improved oline. If him and the rest of our RB's dont cut it then draft a RB in next years draft.

AlbinoRat
10-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Why would you want to ruin that young mans career by bringing him here? I think Edgerrin James has proven that even the best backs can't run without a line. There are much bigger holes to fill right now.

Vinny
10-18-2006, 03:52 PM

Well not so much the Saints, but you know what I mean...and they also draft OL high....does Jordan Gross ring a bell? Or perhaps you can look at the pick we traded to the saints for Travis Johnson...they got their starting RT in that deal.

Wolf
10-18-2006, 04:09 PM
I would like AP but I think about the Dolphins with Marino in the late '80's early '90's it seemed like they brought RB after RB in to compliment marino with a running game, now I was a little young then, but looking back I always wondered what went wrong with that. (adul jabbar in 1st round and others they kept bringing in (went blank)..

I guess my point is fix the run blocking, lets get some lineman in here that can force their will on them (i.e. 3rd and goal,4th and goal, we have a good chance of getting in)

I hated it when the oilers drafted 3 lineman in a row back in the early '80's (heck I was 10) because it wasn't the pretty pick,but now I understand it.. (not saying we need to get 3 linemen in the next 3 years in the 1st round).. Got to go ugly sometime.

BTW
How old are the clones of Mathew,Munchak and Steinkuhler doing? :hehe:

HomeBred_Texan
10-18-2006, 04:18 PM
and they also draft OL high....does Jordan Gross ring a bell? Or perhaps you can look at the pick we traded to the saints for Travis Johnson...they got their starting RT in that deal.

For every bell you ring, there is another one to chime...

Let's see Oakland took a young man for LT name Robert Gallery with the 2nd pick overall, how did that one turn out? We can go back and forth all day.

I am not, nor will not change my mind.

But speaking of Indy and the Edge, remember how they got to where they are now? They drafted Offense first, got it going and then fixed there D. Now wouldn't you like to be in that catbird's seat?

If, and that is a big if, we would have taken D'Brick in the first round last year and still grabbed Spencer and Winston, would we even be having this conversation right now?

I know, if a frog had wings and all that...

Vinny
10-18-2006, 04:19 PM
huh? I don't understand your argument...you were making a case for drafting a back high...I just pointed out that these teams are not only drafting backs high....they invested in some linemen

real
10-18-2006, 04:21 PM
But speaking of Indy and the Edge, remember how they got to where they are now? They drafted Offense first, got it going and then fixed there D. Now wouldn't you like to be in that catbird's seat?

There's more than one way to skin a cat...

Vinny
10-18-2006, 04:22 PM
There's more than one way to skin a cat...Sure is...just look at the Bears and Ravens.

HomeBred_Texan
10-18-2006, 04:24 PM
huh? I don't understand your argument...you were making a case for drafting a back high...I just pointed out that these teams are not only drafting backs high....they invested in some linemen

You were pointing out teams that are drafting OL high, I was pointing out that also. We have invested in some linemen too, Just not where we want to be and 1 of those, a dang good one too, is now out for the season already.

HomeBred_Texan
10-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Sure is...just look at the Bears and Ravens.

You can't fix both sides of the ball in 1 year. It takes awhile to do that, it hasn't ever happened overnight...

Would you rather we fix the D and lose games 7-3 or fix the O and lose shootouts 38-37? A loss is a loss no matter what the score is, but I would rather sit and watch and support some high scoring gigs instead of losing 40-6...

YoungTexanFan
10-18-2006, 04:29 PM
I would like AP but I think about the Dolphins with Marino in the late '80's early '90's it seemed like they brought RB after RB in to compliment marino with a running game, now I was a little young then, but looking back I always wondered what went wrong with that. (adul jabbar in 1st round and others they kept bringing in (went blank)..

I guess my point is fix the run blocking, lets get some lineman in here that can force their will on them (i.e. 3rd and goal,4th and goal, we have a good chance of getting in)

I hated it when the oilers drafted 3 lineman in a row back in the early '80's (heck I was 10) because it wasn't the pretty pick,but now I understand it.. (not saying we need to get 3 linemen in the next 3 years in the 1st round).. Got to go ugly sometime.

Gaither, Baker, Brown, and Thomas are all very forceful OT prospects who are extremely talented.

Vinny
10-18-2006, 04:37 PM
You can't fix both sides of the ball in 1 year. It takes awhile to do that, it hasn't ever happened overnight...

Would you rather we fix the D and lose games 7-3 or fix the O and lose shootouts 38-37? A loss is a loss no matter what the score is, but I would rather sit and watch and support some high scoring gigs instead of losing 40-6...
I would too but I'd rather invest 60 mil in a player like a lineman who generally have longer careers and tend to hold up to their pre-draft grades better than rb's do.

texasguy346
10-18-2006, 04:41 PM
I was in the trade down camp last year, and I'm sure I'll be in the trade down camp this year as well. I've said before that I think we had a really good draft this past year, but we still need to add much more. If Kubiak really isn't finished cleaning house on this team just yet then I'm guessing we'll have plenty of spots up for grabs next season.

Lets assume for a moment that Spencer comes back at 100% next year and is everything we could ask for out of a LT. Let's also assume that through the course of this season Winston proves himself to be a serviceable RT. We know that Pitts is locked in at LG. Weary has played pretty well at times at RG, and Flannagan is in no way shape or form our future at C. In that scenario we're left with a lot of ifs that could make the 2007 season pretty ugly if they all don't work out exactly right. I think we need to draft two or three quality OLinemen in order to get better depth even if everything works out exactly right. I would like to see at least one or two of them taken in the first day. Assuming Weigart is gone next season then we'd need to pick up an OT, and although Hogdon is an adequate backup I think we need to pickup a young C who can hold down that starting spot for the next 7+ years. I also wouldn't mind seeing us pickup a G in the later rounds.

We definately need a RB too, but I can't spend a top 5 pick on AP. There are quality backs to be had throughout the draft be it in the 2nd round or the 7th. We definately need a whole lot of help on the defensive side of the ball. We need to add a OLB, another CB, and a true FS. That is alot of needs to be addressed in one draft, but assuming they pickup a key FA here or there (FOR A REASONABLE MONEY PLEASE...No More Wade/Greenwood/Smith type contracts) we could see alot of improvement next season. Even so we might still need two very good drafts to address alot of the key need areas on our team.

infantrycak
10-18-2006, 04:42 PM
I would too but I'd rather invest 60 mil in a player like a lineman who generally have longer careers and tend to hold up to their pre-draft grades better than rb's do.

And who you aren't having to pay tremendously over market value.

real
10-18-2006, 04:45 PM
We definately need a RB too, but I can't spend a top 5 pick on AP. There are quality backs to be had throughout the draft be it in the 2nd round or the 7th.

That's what I'm sayin....

real
10-18-2006, 04:46 PM
I really doubt that the Texans take AP in the draft even if they are in position to do so...I really smell a trade down this year...

YoungTexanFan
10-18-2006, 05:00 PM
I really doubt that the Texans take AP in the draft even if they are in position to do so...I really smell a trade down this year...

I'm hoping so.

Right now, I'm hoping for a trade down where we somehow end up w/2 first round picks.

For this version, I'll say we trade pick #4 for pick #11 and #22

11: Gaither, LT, Maryland. Gaither is the best LT prospect in the nation IMO, better than Thomas, but less hyped. I am assuming Thomas will go first, but Gaither is a complete OT. This allows for Spencer to move to a more suiting position of RG if he comes back healthy.

22: Landry, FS, LSU. Everyone thinks Landry will go top 10 or w/e. People, he won't. He is the top FS but he's not worth his hype. Still he is better than anything we have and has good, solid experience.

36: Cook, OC, Fresno St. Cook is the best OC prospect in the nation IMO and again just solidifies our O-line. It's not the flashy pick, but it would be the right one.

TexansLucky13
10-18-2006, 05:04 PM

Stole the words from me.... :thumbup

Bubbajwp
10-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Its simple to me.

Trade down around the tenth pick and pick up a second or third round pick
First round best defensive player not dline
Second oline
pick from trade - Best RB left
Third oline

Bubbajwp
10-18-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm hoping so.

Right now, I'm hoping for a trade down where we somehow end up w/2 first round picks.

11: Gaither, LT, Maryland. Gaither is the best LT prospect in the nation IMO, better than Thomas, but less hyped. I am assuming Thomas will go first, but Gaither is a complete OT. This allows for Spencer to move to a more suiting position of RG if he comes back healthy.

22: Landry, FS, LSU. Everyone thinks Landry will go top 10 or w/e. People, he won't. He is the top FS but he's not worth his hype. Still he is better than anything we have and has good, solid experience.

36: Cook, OC, Fresno St. Cook is the best OC prospect in the nation IMO and again just solidifies our O-line. It's not the flashy pick, but it would be the right one.

Even if he is gone there is still Griffin and Merristomponyourface

real
10-18-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm hoping so.

Im thinkin Landry would be gone by that point...He should be the clear cut #1 safety in the draft now....

I wouldn't mind taking Griffin from UT though...or Irons from AUB with the second pick of the first rd. if it worked out that way...

YoungTexanFan
10-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Im thinkin Landry would be gone by that point...He should be the clear cut #1 safety in the draft now....

I wouldn't mind taking Griffin from UT though...or Irons from AUB with the second pick of the first rd. if it worked out that way...

Yes, he could be gone, but I'm not predicting it yet.

A good RB like Lynch or Ball from Maryland, or a CB like Leon Hall or a LB like Buster Davis or a OG like Balylock from UT.

Lots of different options.

YoungTexanFan
10-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Then there is till FA for DB's and RB's.

Endless possibilities.

Wolf
10-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Stole the words from me.... :thumbup

well we drafted an injury prone TE in the 2nd round :stirpot:

:heh:

YoungTexanFan
10-18-2006, 05:44 PM
well we drafted an injury prone TE in the 2nd round :stirpot:

:heh:

I know your intents were humor wolf, but for some fans:

Joppru was not injury prone when we drafted him, he was injury prone only after we drafted him.

Wolf
10-18-2006, 05:55 PM
oh i know LOL thanks for catching the joke..

I don't know much on the injury prone thing. ole Willie M has been durable in Buffalo after the nasty hit.. but just way fate takes someone..

some are lucky and some arent.

real
10-18-2006, 06:27 PM
...like Buster Davis ...

JMO, but I saw Buster play and I wouldn't touch him until the 2nd rd....I don't think he is worth a top 32 pick....

TexanLen
10-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Does AP have another year of eligablity in school? I know a lot of people are high on him now, but it it possible he goes back to school to try to build his stock and try for the heisman?

real
10-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Does AP have another year of eligablity in school? I know a lot of people are high on him now, but it it possible he goes back to school to try to build his stock and try for the heisman?

AP isn't stupid...He's been injury prone...

Why would he take the chance of having an even more devastating injury when he can come out now and get a big payday...

Texans86
10-18-2006, 07:14 PM
AP isn't stupid...

Actually, I've heard contrary, which is why he probably will come out this year. J/k.

BuffSoldier
10-18-2006, 07:24 PM
I know I was one of the biggest campaigners for drafting a "Brick" for the Houston Texans, but thats in the past now, I while I woudnt be upset if we drafted Joe Thomas, I really dont see that happening. Charles Spencer willbe back next year and while he may not be the pro-bowl LT that we have wanted since Tony Boselli in the expansion draft, he has shown that he can protect Carrs blindside better than anyone we have had thus far.

He is only a rookie and he will get much better, especially if we can keep Sherman around as our o-line coach. Now let us not forget about the other rookie, Eric Winston. Most of us thought that Winston would be long gone by the time we drafted him and I think that Winston was second round talent that we got in the 3rd. Winston still has a chance of being our RT for years to come. Interior lineman could be upgraded. Pitts is playing as well as ever, but the RG and OC we could need some help at. Luckily for us OC and OG usually dont go in the first round.

It looks like once again Ill be in the trade down camp, because likeI said in an earlier post, we should be able to trade down and still grap a Kenny Irons or Michael Bush, pick up some extra picks and help out our D whicj is really our biggest need

TexanLen
10-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Actually, I've heard contrary, which is why he probably will come out this year. J/k.

GOOD ONE!!!

YoungTexanFan
10-18-2006, 07:59 PM
I know I was one of the biggest campaigners for drafting a "Brick" for the Houston Texans, but thats in the past now, I while I woudnt be upset if we drafted Joe Thomas, I really dont see that happening. Charles Spencer willbe back next year and while he may not be the pro-bowl LT that we have wanted since Tony Boselli in the expansion draft, he has shown that he can protect Carrs blindside better than anyone we have had thus far.

He is only a rookie and he will get much better, especially if we can keep Sherman around as our o-line coach. Now let us not forget about the other rookie, Eric Winston. Most of us thought that Winston would be long gone by the time we drafted him and I think that Winston was second round talent that we got in the 3rd. Winston still has a chance of being our RT for years to come. Interior lineman could be upgraded. Pitts is playing as well as ever, but the RG and OC we could need some help at. Luckily for us OC and OG usually dont go in the first round.

It looks like once again Ill be in the trade down camp, because likeI said in an earlier post, we should be able to trade down and still grap a Kenny Irons or Michael Bush, pick up some extra picks and help out our D whicj is really our biggest need

It was me and you as co-presidents of the D'brick fan club.

Anyways, Gaither is my pick for this year, but if we do trade down which I am still advocating and hoping for...I'm hoping for the absolute best, most polished defensive player that is not a DT or DE.

dat_boy_yec
10-18-2006, 09:23 PM
I'm going with RB on this one. It doesn't have to be AP, but our running game needs a boost and barring any FA moves before the draft I think this will be our best option. I don't get all the trade down talk so far, as the season is nowhere near done and we might, might not even be in the top ten. Regardless of that there are no real stand out players on defense that scream 1st rd. There is alot of depth in the secondary next yr. and we could end up having alot of good prospects in the second rd. again it's to early to tell, but right now I would love to have a Marshawn Lynch or a K. Irons on the team.

YoungTexanFan
10-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Actually we could use another DT. It is quite possible that Seth Payne may never play for the Texans again. I hope he is able to come back, but his career being over is a definite possibility. :crutch:

Another DT yes, another first round d-lineman? no.

I think Weaver, TJ, and a FA addition will be fine. I'd look more for depth than top notch.

BuffSoldier
10-19-2006, 05:55 AM
I understand that alot of you guys would love for the Texans to take a big time running back in the 1st round, but to be honest, there is no back that could run behind the line that is blocking for the Texans this year. I mean we would be looking to get rid of Barry Sanders if we saw him play behind a line as bad as ours is. Now dont get me wrong, Im not saying that we have explosive backs that can make people miss on the second level, what Im saying is that we have to get them to the second level first.

painekiller
10-19-2006, 01:35 PM
I would rather wait until the 2nd and get Michael Bush. A risky choice but for a whole lot cheaper and he is a big back with cut back skills. His game is not based on speed only. Sorry with a top 5 pick I want to go defense again. Either LB or DB. Unless a DT is a top 5 talent, unlikely DT usually drop to the close to mid round.

YoungTexanFan
10-19-2006, 05:30 PM
I would rather wait until the 2nd and get Michael Bush. A risky choice but for a whole lot cheaper and he is a big back with cut back skills. His game is not based on speed only. Sorry with a top 5 pick I want to go defense again. Either LB or DB. Unless a DT is a top 5 talent, unlikely DT usually drop to the close to mid round.

I just don't think any defensive player warrents a top 5 pick. I am in the trade down camp once again this year. Michael Bush isn't a speed back, and while he is better than Dayne and Gado, he is not the complete back that everyone wants.

Errant Hothy
10-19-2006, 05:41 PM

If the team deciedes that Gaither is there guy, DO NOT trade down and hope he slips be some miracle, just pull the damn trigger. And I'd be willing to bet a lot of cash that Gaither will not be available at 11 (barring an injury).

painekiller
10-19-2006, 05:42 PM
How fast was Terrel Davis? 4.6, which is why he slipped in the draft. Michael Bush is around the same speed, but much larger. If he regains most of his speed he can be an excellent RB in the NFL.

painekiller
10-19-2006, 05:45 PM
BTW you guys have me looking real hard at Gaither.

What a line that would be in 3 years.

Gaither, Pitts, Hodgdon/upgrade, Winston, Spencer. If these guys have the footspeed (meaning if Spencer doesn't lose any) this line would be bigger and stronger than any line Denver has assembled.

YoungTexanFan
10-19-2006, 05:48 PM
BTW you guys have me looking real hard at Gaither.

What a line that would be in 3 years.

Gaither, Pitts, Hodgdon/upgrade, Winston, Spencer. If these guys have the footspeed (meaning if Spencer doesn't lose any) this line would be bigger and stronger than any line Denver has assembled.

look closely at him and enjoy.

I see spencer at RG and Winston at RT if all this happens.

YoungTexanFan
10-19-2006, 05:49 PM
How fast was Terrel Davis? 4.6, which is why he slipped in the draft. Michael Bush is around the same speed, but much larger. If he regains most of his speed he can be an excellent RB in the NFL.

I don't know if I could trade down with him on the board, but I'm greedy and want more picks too.

Sarg01
10-19-2006, 05:51 PM
I just don't think any defensive player warrents a top 5 pick.

It's way too early to assume we will have a Top 5 pick. If the season ended today, we'd be picking #8, after teams like Oakland, Miami, Tennessee, Green Bay, Detroit, Cleveland and Arizona.

YoungTexanFan
10-19-2006, 06:11 PM
It's way too early to assume we will have a Top 5 pick. If the season ended today, we'd be picking #8, after teams like Oakland, Miami, Tennessee, Green Bay, Detroit, Cleveland and Arizona.

I was just giving possiblities that allowed us to trade down. I'm not pegging us for any pick just yet, just one senario.

Sarg01
10-19-2006, 06:47 PM
I was just giving possiblities that allowed us to trade down. I'm not pegging us for any pick just yet, just one senario.

Sorry, I was just reacting to the premature storm on these boards of "we're the worst team in the league" and might have been oversensitive to your post.

run-david-run
10-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Its amazing how the board shifts from one draft to the next. I guarantee that about 80% of the people who are saying we cant take a running back in the top 5 (5 games into the season mind you) where screaming for Reggie and the people crying for O-line help were pointing out how Denver got all its linemen in the later rounds.

Drafting wise, I think we will finish with a better record then Oakland, Tennessea, Green Bay, Detroit, Cleavland and possibly Tampa. That leaves us around the 7th pick. I hope to see Winston and Spencer as our bookends for many years to come, Pitts starting at LG. That leaves Center and Right Guard, depending on whetver Weary and Flannagan are good enough. Anyway, with the first pick I think we should go for the best player availlable, be it a running back, defensive back or lineman.

TexansSeminole
10-19-2006, 09:43 PM
I understand that alot of you guys would love for the Texans to take a big time running back in the 1st round, but to be honest, there is no back that could run behind the line that is blocking for the Texans this year. I mean we would be looking to get rid of Barry Sanders if we saw him play behind a line as bad as ours is. Now dont get me wrong, Im not saying that we have explosive backs that can make people miss on the second level, what Im saying is that we have to get them to the second level first.

I agree partially to this. Our run blocking is definantely bad, and our running game will not get to the level Kubiak wants it at with this line, but if we had a more talented back...we would atleast be gaining some yards.

It is kind of a good thing though because Kubiak won't settle for a offensive line that doesn't get it done, considering he loves using the running game.

threetoedpete
10-20-2006, 01:35 AM
JMO, but I saw Buster play and I wouldn't touch him until the 2nd rd....I don't think he is worth a top 32 pick....

Agreed. I love Patrick Wills also. But no way is he a first round Linebacker. A.J. Hawk is a first round LB. Uhrlacker is a first round LB. Willis is not. Still real early.

Look you All Day fans. Just saw Carter Wells of Ohio St. run in his first college TD vs Northern Illionois. Now, That guy is a top five pick back.
He's got the goods. Petterson is going to be a good pro. Just hoping he's a good pro on someone else's team.

painekiller
10-20-2006, 02:38 AM
I don't know if I could trade down with him on the board, but I'm greedy and want more picks too.

Remember when Peek leaves we get a comp pick if we do not sign a big name. Could be a 3rd round sandwich pick.

painekiller
10-20-2006, 02:40 AM
look closely at him and enjoy.

I see spencer at RG and Winston at RT if all this happens.

I could live with that and I did think that was a serious option based on Spencers injury :bananasplit:.

threetoedpete
10-20-2006, 02:51 AM
Its amazing how the board shifts from one draft to the next. I guarantee that about 80% of the people who are saying we cant take a running back in the top 5 (5 games into the season mind you) where screaming for Reggie and the people crying for O-line help were pointing out how Denver got all its linemen in the later rounds.

Drafting wise, I think we will finish with a better record then Oakland, Tennessea, Green Bay, Detroit, Cleavland and possibly Tampa. That leaves us around the 7th pick. I hope to see Winston and Spencer as our bookends for many years to come, Pitts starting at LG. That leaves Center and Right Guard, depending on whetver Weary and Flannagan are good enough. Anyway, with the first pick I think we should go for the best player availlable, be it a running back, defensive back or lineman.

Beerlover was a Vincet fan all off season. You can look it up if you wish, but I was pounding the drum for a move down and take Brick. there weren't many of us. OLY has been a critical need that low draft picks and free agents have yet to fill. Five years is long enough. D'Brichshaw was the first front line prospect OLT out there we had a ligit shot at getting. Buffsoldier and a lot of others spurned the VY and RB crowd. No trading partner we took Mario. And I understand the pick. But this year, with three guys on the board, and no real RB out there slaying me with his ablity, there's really no excuse not to make the OLT pick. Spencer was well on his way to being that guy. Funny how the running game tanked with out DD and Spencer in the line up. Well, maybe not so strange.

SF49erFaithful
10-20-2006, 03:01 AM
Agreed. I love Patrick Wills also. But no way is he a first round Linebacker. A.J. Hawk is a first round LB. Uhrlacker is a first round LB. Willis is not. Still real early.

Look you All Day fans. Just saw Carter Wells of Ohio St. run in his first college TD vs Northern Illionois. Now, That guy is a top five pick back.
He's got the goods. Petterson is going to be a good pro. Just hoping he's a good pro on someone else's team.

I disagree about Patrick Willis. I definitely think he warrants a 1st round pick. He has been impressive his college career despite playing with a not-so-great defense and some injuries.

P-Willie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bM4sEmaFLQ)

Sarg01
10-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Remember when Peek leaves we get a comp pick if we do not sign a big name. Could be a 3rd round sandwich pick.

Comp picks come the year after the departure and are usually 5-7th rounders. When a big name FA leaves, sometimes they get a 4th. We're talking "top 10 in the NFL at their position" type. Peek is not exactly a big name.