PDA

View Full Version : A Positive Outlook

FanFromCali
10-17-2006, 06:51 AM
There is a lot of frustration on the board, and it is understandable. There were high expectations for this team just a couple of years ago when they seemingly were a year away from making the playoffs. No one thought the team would be in a rebuilding mode so soon but yet here we areÖ

Having said that as the team rebuilds there is still a lot to like (or at least look forward to):

1. Andre Johnson is showing that he is one of the better WR in the league. Carr is getting much better. I donít know if either will be on the team when the team wins its first Super Bowl title (how great will that be when we could look back at these years as growing pains?) but neither are the reason for the teamís troubles.

2. The O-line was total trash last year. This year it is just not good. Yes, I understand that it still has a way to go but there is noticeable improvement. Before he got hurt Spencer showed a lot of promise and when he comes back next year and the team adds another O-lineman perhaps it becomes average to even better than average.

3. DeMeco Ryans is a stud and if he continues to improve can be a star. The team needs help at the other LB positions which could be immediately satisfied through free agency as there are going to be a few excellent free agents on the market next year at that position.

4. It may sound crazy right now but RB could potentially be strength next year. Imagine this: Adrian Peterson as the starter, Domanick Davis as the third-down back (potentially one of the best in the league) and let Dayne, Gado, and Lundi fight it out for the other two spots. That is not a bad scenario.

5. The team has an excellent coach who has been coveted for many years now by many teams. Just give him time to get the right players in the right places.

6. Mario Williams has played a lot better in the last two weeks and has flashed the ability that justified making his the first pick over Bush. It is not that I donít like Bush (I am a big Pac 10 fan) but he would probably be better served if he were permanently moved to WR/KR where he could be great. In six games he has a 195 rushing yards for a 3.0 average and one fumble lost. Only Dayne has a worse rushing average for the Texans at 2.9. Bush, a potentially great WR, was not the workhorse the team needed at RB.

7. The team is going to get a high draft pick in a particularly deep draft. Most likely it will be used for Adrian Peterson but because DB is usually loaded in a draft and often is a position that falls (especially at SS/FS where the most pressing needs are) the team could get a great one in the second round.

8. The team is not going to lose any key free agents next year and will still be about 14 million under the cap, about an average figure but better than being stuck without any money and still having holes to fill.

9. Fan support remains strong. Look at me, IĎm from California and having never set foot in Texas am a huge fan. Imagine what the support will be like when the team starts winning.

10. Regardless of whether the team is winning or not, the beer is still cold. In the end what else do you really need?

TheOgre
10-17-2006, 07:05 AM
2. The O-line was total trash last year. This year it is just not good. Yes, I understand that it still has a way to go but there is noticeable improvement. Before he got hurt Spencer showed a lot of promise and when he comes back next year and the team adds another O-lineman perhaps it becomes average to even better than average.

We were perhaps the worst pass-blocking team in NFL history over a 4 year stretch, and we have improved in that area. However, our run blocking has gone from a bit below average to pathetic. Rather than progress, I consider that trading problem areas/deficiencies.

mancunian
10-17-2006, 07:16 AM
going into the season most of the fans on here thought the Texans would win between 5 and 7 games. To me that is still realistic - we play the Raiders, Browns, Bills, Titans twice. I was going to say the Cards but after last night maybe I wont. They are all winable games - and if we did win them then we'd hit the 7 game winning streak.

I think the hardest part of our schudle out if the way already - Colts, Eagles and Cowboys are all very good teams.

Now I dont see the games based here in the UK by a listen every week and I accept that we haven't played well - or is it that we haven't been allowed to play.

If we lose to the Raiders, Browns then I'll worry.

joshri
10-17-2006, 07:24 AM
I'd find it hard to think the Texans wouldn't draft a Joe Thomas over Adrian Peterson in the draft. I think the offensive line has to be addressed with people other than guys like over the hill Mike Flanagan.

tsip
10-17-2006, 07:55 AM
going into the season most of the fans on here thought the Texans would win between 5 and 7 games. To me that is still realistic - we play the Raiders, Browns, Bills, Titans twice. I was going to say the Cards but after last night maybe I wont. They are all winable games - and if we did win them then we'd hit the 7 game winning streak.

I think the hardest part of our schudle out if the way already - Colts, Eagles and Cowboys are all very good teams.

Now I dont see the games based here in the UK by a listen every week and I accept that we haven't played well - or is it that we haven't been allowed to play.

If we lose to the Raiders, Browns then I'll worry.

Obviously, you have not been keeping up with these teams you think the Texans can beat this year, because most are playing much better than the Texans. The Titans lost by 1 pt to the Colts, only giving up 14 pts and beat the Redskins--both of those teams 'blew' the Texans away. The Browns have lost 3 games by a combined 7 pts and are playing solid football. Oakland played a tough team close Sunday, and the Bills have had some close losses.

The FACT is no team in the NFL is playing worse than the Texans right now, and our coaches don't have a clue what to do--

"I didn't go to sleep (Sunday night), because I was trying to figure out what happened in the second half against the Cowboys."

That's a quote from Kubiak. If he can't figure out what 'happened' against the Cowboys, how is he going to fix it?? He said basically the same thing after we collapsed in the 2nd half against the Eagles, so he didn't learn anything from that experience.

...and this quote from Rick Smith

"Asked what he can do for the team in the offseason, Smith said: "We're not talking about the future. We're talking about right now. We're trying to do everything we can to win now. We're trying to win our next game against Jacksonville."

"...trying to do everything we can to win now."

IMO, these quotes from Smith are not very encouraging. Kubiak coached the team the best he could against the Cowboys-even had an extra week-and he doesn't know why we got blown out by Dallas. Of course, except for Miami, we've been blown out of every game we've played so far....

IMO, your best hope is that you didn't 'put' money on 5+ wins this year!! Until Gary figures out 'what' he and his coaching staff are doing wrong (assuming they do), our only hope for winning is we get 'under' coached by another team...:pigfly: :brickwall :pigfly: :brickwall

...and, one more thing--after the Jag game, we've got 3 straight road games--we won our last road game in 2004, almost 2 yrs ago....

tsip
10-17-2006, 08:00 AM
"10. Regardless of whether the team is winning or not, the beer is still cold. In the end what else do you really need?"

Well, I don't drink but--last time I looked, you could get cold beer anywhere--getting a 'winning' team or one that at least resembles an NFL team, you can't--at least not in Houston...........

mancunian
10-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Obviously, you have not been keeping up with these teams you think the Texans can beat this year, because most are playing much better than the Texans. The Titans lost by 1 pt to the Colts, only giving up 14 pts and beat the Redskins--both of those teams 'blew' the Texans away. The Browns have lost 3 games by a combined 7 pts and are playing solid football. Oakland played a tough team close Sunday, and the Bills have had some close losses.

The FACT is no team in the NFL is playing worse than the Texans right now, and our coaches don't have a clue what to do--

"I didn't go to sleep (Sunday night), because I was trying to figure out what happened in the second half against the Cowboys."

That's a quote from Kubiak. If he can't figure out what 'happened' against the Cowboys, how is he going to fix it?? He said basically the same thing after we collapsed in the 2nd half against the Eagles, so he didn't learn anything from that experience.

...and this quote from Rick Smith

"Asked what he can do for the team in the offseason, Smith said: "We're not talking about the future. We're talking about right now. We're trying to do everything we can to win now. We're trying to win our next game against Jacksonville."

"...trying to do everything we can to win now."

IMO, these quotes from Smith are not very encouraging. Kubiak coached the team the best he could against the Cowboys-even had an extra week-and he doesn't know why we got blown out by Dallas. Of course, except for Miami, we've been blown out of every game we've played so far....

IMO, your best hope is that you didn't 'put' money on 5+ wins this year!! Until Gary figures out 'what' he and his coaching staff are doing wrong (assuming they do), our only hope for winning is we get 'under' coached by another team...

...and, one more thing--after the Jag game, we've got 3 straight road games--we won our last road game in 2004, almost 2 yrs ago....

I know all that - but this thread was about being positive.:yikes:

kcwilson
10-17-2006, 03:30 PM

Clearly, you have not watched a Raiders game this year. Oakland is by far the worst overall team based not just on one game, but the season as a whole as well as the clubhouse morale and chemistry.

With all the crap spewing from the Silver and Bleak, there is no way that the Texans are worse than the Raiders, and the Raider fans will concur.

I live in L.A. as well which we all know is the stepchild home for the Commitment to Mediocrity and can testify that this is no team, and that almost the entire staff has no support from its players.

From a report on AM570Radio on Monday, the Raiders were adding new plays to the playbook on Friday afternoon, at a time when they were supposed to be going through walk throughs. Take it for what it may be, desperation, unorganized game plan, doing anything to win... team members commented that it was unprofessional and questioned the coaching staff and their strategies/approach.

We are in a much better situation than Oakland.

On the positive side, there are strides being made from an individual performance standpoint. I think we lack the one guy that will take the team on his shoulders and say "Guys, here is how we are going to win." It doesn't seem to be Carr and I would hope that Moulds would be more of a presence, and maybe he is, we just don't see it.

The team lacks passion for winning... Look at Leinart on MNF, we need a player that wants to win like that.

Goldeagle
10-17-2006, 03:44 PM
1. Demeco Ryans. On Draft day I was TICKED! "WHO IS THIS!" Let me apologize for that.

2. Carr has played well

3. Not as many sacks even if I think the pocket is small. Other teams seem to FAN out to form a pcoket while ours collapses in

4. AJ is showing up in the stats, but who cares.

5. Mario Williams has shown signs of being an anchor on the line

6. Kubiak and his group look better than the last regime. This will come across and unpopular but we are dealing with capers/casserly decisions still

7. Owen Daniels looks good (How is he on blocking)

8. Adrian Peterson for the future :)

V Man
10-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Able to get Texans jerseys real cheap on EBay.:redtowel:

South Texan
10-19-2006, 04:38 PM
OKAY... Let's start the draft controvesy right now!!!

Consider... this year Mario was drafted to fill the weakest link, not because he was the best raw talent available.

Kubiak's system is supposed to make an average running back great. For that you need a great O-Line. With that in mind I don't look for the head office to draft a RB before the 3rd or 4th pick. (Didn't we get Dominic in the 5th round?) Look for us to grab another Spencer type for the O-Line, a fast hard hitting DB, and then start thinking RB. I also think any decent O-Linemen and DBs in Free Agency are gonna get serious consideration.

I am not defending this philosophy, just throwing out an idea for your consideration.