PDA

View Full Version : Demeco Ryans best defensive rookie in the league

Wolf
10-16-2006, 05:07 PM
http://www.demecoryans.net/dr/

Around the league, they are already calling DeMeco Ryans the best.

Adam Schefter, analyst for the NFL Network, says the Texans middle linebacker is “the best rookie defensive player in the league.”

It’s a standard Ryans has set for himself for many years. If he hadn’t, he might have got a whipping.

Martha Ryans, his mother, made sure of that when Ryans was growing up back in Bessemer, Ala. Being the best was the only standard he knew.

“It was something that developed over time,” Ryans said. “My mom staying hard on me about grades. I think that’s where it started in school. Then I turned it over in my playing sports.

“I wasn’t just trying to be just another guy out there. If you want to do something, you want to stand out and be one of the best.”

Martha engrained that attitude with a healthy dose of inspiration. She worked hard at two jobs, sometimes three. And she expected nothing but the best from DeMeco. READ MORE

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2976&section=Texans%20Insider

buckaroo_banzai
10-16-2006, 05:12 PM
he was talked about alot during the telecast.
great exposure for demeco:ok:

Kaiser Toro
10-16-2006, 05:17 PM
Great stuff and well earned for the one consistent bright spot on this team.

brewhaus
10-16-2006, 05:25 PM
http://forums.houstontexans.com/showpost.php?p=470951&postcount=45

run-david-run
10-16-2006, 06:04 PM
DeMeco is getting better and better. Nice sack on Bledsoe and they showed a great tackle on JJ when he came up into the whole and brought him down for no gain by himself. Going to be a great player.

Imatexanfan
10-16-2006, 06:09 PM
What happened to the #1 pick being the best in the league?! :confused:

Congrad's Demeco good job.:ok:

Texan1
10-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Yes he is the best Rookie. And makes no where near the $$$ Williams does. Sad.

Heywood
10-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Yes he is the best Rookie. And makes no where near the $$$ Williams does. Sad.

he's the best rookie, offense or defense, in the league, actually.

Goldeagle
10-16-2006, 07:47 PM
I really hope he gets the Honors he deserves, What a delight he is to have him on our team.

Doug
10-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Guess who's jersey I bought two weeks ago at Academy while in Houston? LOL

real
10-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Meco is so close to leading the leauge in tackles it isn't funny...

bah007
10-24-2006, 12:17 PM
I watch what he is doing this year and he looks exactly like he did last year for Bama. It almost seems as if it was no transition for him in one of the most difficult defensive positions

Dime
10-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Someone who is up and coming like him needs a nickname..

How about

D-Ry Wait.. that spells Dry.. How about Private Ryans... wait.. that was a show... Wow.. this name making up is harder then it looks.

real
10-24-2006, 12:21 PM
I watch what he is doing this year and he looks exactly like he did last year for Bama. It almost seems as if it was no transition for him in one of the most difficult defensive positions

The scary thing is that he is only going to get better...

JDizzle
10-24-2006, 12:22 PM
D-Train.

goodnews boy
10-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Guess who's jersey I bought two weeks ago at Academy while in Houston? LOL

Reggie Bush?

HOU-TEX
10-24-2006, 12:24 PM
D-Train.

D-Wreck

SBTexans08
10-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Is there any way we can vote for Demeco for DROY and overall ROY?

Sarg01
10-25-2006, 01:19 PM

How about

D-Ry Wait.. that spells Dry.. How about Private Ryans... wait.. that was a show... Wow.. this name making up is harder then it looks.

The Demequalizer!

jerek
10-25-2006, 01:30 PM
The Demequalizer!

I actually like that one ...

whiskeyrbl
10-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Dwreck the reincarnation of Dick Butkus,only faster. This boy is awesome,if he does'nt get DROY there is something wrong. Did anyone see the shot he gave Leftwich just after he threw. Leftwich must have flew backwards at least 3-4 yards.

ThaShark316
10-25-2006, 01:38 PM
Dwreck the reincarnation of Dick Butkus,only faster. This boy is awesome,if he does'nt get DROY there is something wrong. Did anyone see the shot he gave Leftwich just after he threw. Leftwich must have flew backwards at least 3-4 yards.

I mean, something is wrong, unless, you know, Mr. Williams gets 10+ sacks the rest of the way...lmao.:redtowel:

Bongo59
10-25-2006, 01:45 PM
I think Ernie Simms is doing pretty well.......................

StrongArm08
10-25-2006, 02:18 PM
given the fact that he's anchoring the D as a rookie and is putting up some big time #s I would think he'd get some serious consideration for DROY.

Demeco will be a huge asset to this team for yrs to come.....he's the one I think of building the defense around before Mario. No one has to encourage him to go out and play at full speed, he's tuned in right from the start. Would it be premature to think Pro Bowl at this point?

the wonger need food
10-25-2006, 02:20 PM
If DeMeco pulls down that interception earlier in the year and doesn't miss the QB 3-4 times when he's blitzing, his stats push him way out in front of the pack. I look for the kid to be a serious playmaker the second half of this season and a perennial Pro Bowler for years to come.

TexansLucky13
10-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Lets just call him... D-Roy! That's what he will be at the end of this season anyways...

StrongArm08
10-25-2006, 02:50 PM
This team needs a defensive captain and I think he is definitely going to be that guy. Once he quits making the rookie mistakes his play is going to explode and I firmly believe the rest of the D will feed off that. Mario needs the spotlight taken off of him because he's not that type of vocal guy yet (and may never be). If D-ROY takes on that central role I think Mario's game will take off also because he won't be so self conscious about the spotlight being on him. Great players make those around them better a 'la Ray Lewis.

:highfive:

Big J
10-25-2006, 03:17 PM
I totally agree with the last post. Mario doesnt seem to be the prototypical leader that a team needs. He will be the lead-by-example type who goes and does his job at 100%. People will feed off his sacks or hits because he is such a hoss.

DeMeco on the other hand is the authoratative leader who will inspire a team. Its only 6 games in and it appears he has a lot of pull within our D. With Wong out (the first 5 weeks) someone had to take the ropes, and this kid has been nothing short of spectatcular. We played inspired football against Jacksonville and it was a beautiful thing to watch.

Here is to our Defensive Playmaker, DeMeco Ryans, D-Money ill call him, for his success thus far and for MANY years to come. Just think when we draft a couple more pieces to our D....its going to be sick.

Mysteryhunt
10-25-2006, 03:22 PM
No-lane Ryans?

eriadoc
10-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Vilma beat out Robinson for DROY a couple years ago with:

107 tackles (77 solo), 2 sacks, 3 int, 1 fumble recovery, 2 passes defended, 1 TD

Ryans has, six games into the year:

53 tackles (44 solo), 1.5 sacks, 0 int, 0 fr, 1 pass defended, 0 TD

Ryans is on pace to blow away the tackles total and probably the sacks. Turnovers come in bunches and TDs on defense are a product of chance, for the most part. Ryans should be the frontrunner for the award, IMO. Sims and Hawk will be considered highly as well, though.

V Man
10-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Lets just call him... D-Roy! That's what he will be at the end of this season anyways...

I think Ernie Simms is doing pretty well.......................

It is (as of right now) going to be between these two. They will both get a lot of tackles. It will be interesting to see who the voters are going to choose.

SheTexan
10-25-2006, 04:00 PM
All I know is that he has made the D exciting to watch.

kfranco_utexas
10-25-2006, 04:35 PM
He deserves it!:redtowel:

kfranco_utexas
10-25-2006, 04:40 PM
I like this avatar better :-D

Vinny
10-25-2006, 04:58 PM
It's time to make a new DeMeco avatar for the stock avatar area...I'll consider hosting anyone who can make something nice. I have several of you guys' work in there by name now. Don't be upset if I don't use it (but I will appreciate the effort fwiw)...stuff dbo did with the black n white avatars with the color player splash was nice. I don't like real busy stuff so don't go bonkers. Nothing cheap looking. We are Texans you know.

Texas
10-25-2006, 06:22 PM
I told yall this guy would be good...Right out of bessemer alabama...exactly where im about to move too!

thunderkyss
10-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Is there any way we can vote for Demeco for DROY and overall ROY?

I think that's about the best nickname we can give him......

So what if they don't give it to him, we can.

I vote his nickname should be DRoy...

run-david-run
10-25-2006, 06:29 PM
I think that's about the best nickname we can give him......

So what if they don't give it to him, we can.

So what do we call him next year?

TexansLucky13
10-25-2006, 06:29 PM

I said it first! I get credit! :hairpull:

Seriously, though... D-Roy. Sounds good to me.

So what do we call him next year?

D-Roy!

BamagirlinBR
10-25-2006, 06:32 PM
We miss DeMeco & his leadership very much at BAMA this year. My personal opinion is that it will be a close race between Meco & his fellow defensive running mate Mark Anderson - DE rookie at Chicago. Mark does not start but has 6.5 sacks already - they love him in Chicago like Houston loves Meco.

We Bama fans knew whereever Meco went he would make some noise on and off the field - you will see him get involved in Charity work etc.

Roll Tide! - Go Texans!

kfranco_utexas
10-25-2006, 06:49 PM
"Mark does not start but has 6.5 sacks already"

Are you kidding me?!?!
That right there just seals it. Mario, our "#1" pick only has 2.5. Can we trade DE's?:lightbulb:

run-david-run
10-25-2006, 06:52 PM

Are you kidding me?!?!
That right there just seals it. Mario, our "#1" pick only has 2.5. Can we trade DE's?:lightbulb:

I could get 6.5 sacks playing Tommie Harris, Alex Brown, Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs etc (and having Arizona lineman leave me completly unblocked). Slight differance from joining the worst team in the league to one that is undefeated...somehow that is lost on you

rittenhouserobz
10-25-2006, 09:57 PM

Are you kidding me?!?!

If Mario Williams started the year with the bears, then he woould probably have 6-7 sacks by now. However i am not sur that Mark Anderson would have 6 sacks playing for the Texans.

thunderkyss
10-25-2006, 10:07 PM

Are you kidding me?!?!

You don't watch football do you??

StrongArm08
10-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Once our front 4 gels and starts putting more pressure on opposing QBs on a regular basis you will see DeMeco reach his full potential.....he'll be free to read and react more.

As long as he doesn't hit the wall like so many rookies do in their first year, I think he has a better second half of the season and locks up DROY honors and a possible pro bowl spot

touttail
10-26-2006, 06:56 AM
DEMECO RYANS for ROY !!!:redtowel:

Bobby 119C :twocents:

BamagirlinBR
10-26-2006, 07:23 AM
I did not mention Mark Anderson to criticize Mario - I was just saying Meco's college running mate was doing well also and how excited the fans in Chicago are about him. Pro coaches of former Bama players in recent years almost always say that those young men were well coached in college (especially by Joe Kines DC at Bama). Bama had 3 starters from last years defense playing - 2 starting Roman Harper - Saints until tearing ACL and Meco - Texans and 1 - Mark Anderson - Chicago not starting but playing quite a bit.

If they leave Mario in one place instead of moving him around - he will be fine.

I don't see Meco hitting the wall - he is just too steady a young man.

Roll Tide from Baton Rouge! - Go Texans!

PS - I wish the Texans would pick up MLB Freddy Roach another of Meco's teammates - together they were a terror to offenses.

thunderkyss
10-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Pro coaches of former Bama players in recent years almost always say that those young men were well coached in college (especially by Joe Kines DC at Bama). Bama had 3 starters from last years defense playing - 2 starting Roman Harper - Saints until tearing ACL and Meco - Texans and 1 - Mark Anderson - Chicago not starting but playing quite a bit.

Roll Tide from Baton Rouge! - Go Texans!

I wonder if Joe KInes would be interested in a job opportunity in Houston, we could use some help at DC.

BamagirlinBR
10-26-2006, 10:00 AM
Sorry, the Texans can't have him. Joe Kines said Bama his last stop until he retires, then he will go be a door greeter at Walmart.

whiskeyrbl
10-26-2006, 11:27 AM
I said it first! I get credit! :hairpull:

Seriously, though... D-Roy. Sounds good to me.

D-Roy!

How about Da-Man

Texans Horror
10-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Sounds like we need a man-law vote. All in favor of Demeco Ryans being nicknamed "D-ROY" until the end of the season or a better nickname is presented through his football abilities or off-the-field trouble, say aye.

edo783
10-26-2006, 03:51 PM
he will go be a door greeter at Walmart.

He can't have that. It's my retirement job. "Welcome to Walmart!"

Hulk75
10-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Urlacher, Ray, Bullock, and Ryans.

I could see him being in this kind of group as he goes, the kid is one heck of a player and should have 2 ints by now, the ball he jumped out after against Jax was pretty amazing, that is called playmaking!!!!!!!! And that is what those guys above do, if he keeps playing and stays healthy his name will be with those above.

2ToneBlue
10-26-2006, 04:10 PM
I'll have to say, even though I dislike (not hate, I'm a big Carr fan since he's from our college) the Texans, Ryans is looking great. He was a solid pick up for you guys and if he can keep it up he will be great.

TexanTider
10-26-2006, 06:28 PM
It has been sweet watching Demeco this year.

Side note: I moved to Houston from Alabama just before the draft and was hoping they'd pick one of our players to get me excited about the team. I was thrilled on draft day to say the least!!

Anyway, I picked up some season tickets and have really gotten into the Texans..

It will be awesome when the D-Line gels to free up the linebackers even more.

Anyway, I'll vote for DROY as a nickname, but I liked Demequalizer for next year, haha.

TexanTider

Texans_Chick
10-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Give DeMeco some props on his website's guestbook: link (http://www.demecoryans.net/dr/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,37/)

Most football players websites are pretty stale, but his is updated a lot.

You can leave your email, but the system doesn't require it.

threetoedpete
10-26-2006, 09:30 PM
For a 1-6 team, I guess you hang your hats where you can. I posted it befor, and soon you too will see, Ryans is not an NFL MLB. Excuse me just felt the need with all the man love to throw it out there. He missed three plays last week. He overruns plays and gets out of position. And when he does he gives up monster plays, when the gaurds cut him off. He gets stoned on draw plays. But to comair a rookie to Butkus, Good Greif. That's laughing stock material. I couldn't stand it. Don't mistake a lazy color guy for facts.
The montrose bar is now re-opened. Continue. :yawn:

done88
10-27-2006, 09:14 AM
This is a really good article on him at ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2640253

infantrycak
10-27-2006, 09:40 AM
From done88's article:

Perhaps more impressive than Ryans' play has been his ability to become a leader on the defense as a 22-year-old rookie. It's a role Kubiak encouraged him to embrace.

"This is the role he needed to play for this team," Kubiak
said. "He's taken it on and been exceptional. For the future of the team to think that he will be in the middle for this football team for a long, long time, leading this defense, that's very encouraging."

From the horse's mouth--stop thinking about Ryans moving outside.

kfranco_utexas
10-27-2006, 09:44 AM
You don't watch football do you??

No. I pretend to watch football.:lightbulb:

thunderkyss
10-27-2006, 09:46 AM
From done88's article:

From the horse's mouth--stop thinking about Ryans moving outside.

do you think we're loosing anything by not putting Wong in the middle?? I understand he's getting gray, but he needs to be on the field for this team. I have no problem with Ryans playing MLB, other than thinking we should put Wong there for the remainder of this year, and moe Ryans to the middle when Wong needs a breather, and then maybe make that Ryans spot next year. He is afterall still a rookie.

infantrycak
10-27-2006, 09:48 AM
No I don't. IMO Wong needs to be on the field at SLB. Ryans is playing very well at MLB and moving him out will stop his progress. One of Wong's strengths is his smarts leading to great versatility--in his career he has played 4-3 SLB and MLB and 3-4 LOLB, ROLB and MLB. Orr should be a situational pass rusher.

Dime
10-27-2006, 09:52 AM
do you think we're loosing anything by not putting Wong in the middle?? I understand he's getting gray, but he needs to be on the field for this team. I have no problem with Ryans playing MLB, other than thinking we should put Wong there for the remainder of this year, and moe Ryans to the middle when Wong needs a breather, and then maybe make that Ryans spot next year. He is afterall still a rookie.

WHAT? Ryans has shown to be a natural at that position, and is easily one of the best players on the team right. AND you want to bench him for Wong and let him spell Wong. Are you insane?

Yes, he is a rook, and he is outpreforming Wong even before he was injured right now. Thats called 'losing your starting job for Wong'. How about we keep Wong on the bench and have him spell Ryans.

HOU-TEX
10-27-2006, 09:55 AM

You don't want to try to fix something that isn't broke. D-Roy is doing quite well were he's at. I would think D-Roy is a bit quicker than Wong at this point in time anyways. I'd keep rotating the Wongster and Orr. It worked out well last week. Heck, it appeared Orr stepped up due to it.:shades:

thunderkyss
10-27-2006, 10:00 AM
WHAT? Ryans has shown to be a natural at that position, and is easily one of the best players on the team right. AND you want to bench him for Wong and let him spell Wong. Are you insane?

Yes, he is a rook, and he is outpreforming Wong even before he was injured right now. Thats called 'losing your starting job for Wong'. How about we keep Wong on the bench and have him spell Ryans.

That's not exactly what I said.

I want both Ryans & Wong on the Field, Greenwood off. I'm thinking we'd be better off putting Wong at MLB, and Ryans on the Will.

& while Ryans has played outstanding for a rookie, he's made some misreads as well.

If Wong gets a stinger, or needs to come out, Ryans can move back to MLB, and we'll let Greenwood play Will.

HOU-TEX
10-27-2006, 10:05 AM
That's not exactly what I said.

I want both Ryans & Wong on the Field, Greenwood off. I'm thinking we'd be better off putting Wong at MLB, and Ryans on the Will.

& while Ryans has played outstanding for a rookie, he's made some misreads as well.

If Wong gets a stinger, or needs to come out, Ryans can move back to MLB, and we'll let Greenwood play Will.

:crazy: :backsout:

eriadoc
10-27-2006, 10:06 AM
For a 1-6 team, I guess you hang your hats where you can. I posted it befor, and soon you too will see, Ryans is not an NFL MLB. Excuse me just felt the need with all the man love to throw it out there. He missed three plays last week. He overruns plays and gets out of position. And when he does he gives up monster plays, when the gaurds cut him off. He gets stoned on draw plays. But to comair a rookie to Butkus, Good Greif. That's laughing stock material. I couldn't stand it. Don't mistake a lazy color guy for facts.
The montrose bar is now re-opened. Continue. :yawn:

We're 2-4, thanks. It's not much, but we'll take it.

This is why he's a candidate for Rookie of the Year and not MVP. He's going to make mistakes like that (overrunning plays, out of position, etc.). That's what rookies do. And three plays? That's all you could find? Hell, I wish our other defensive players would only miss three plays. In spite of those plays, he has had a very positive impact on our games. His quickness and his ability to diagnose plays will be a great asset at his position. Yeah, he loses a physical battle now and again, but he also uses his instincts and quickness to avoid physical disadvantages. He'll be a good one at MLB because he has all the instincts of a good linebacker, despite the lack of measurables. By the way, he's not that undersized, either.

done88
10-27-2006, 10:13 AM
The best setup is Greenwood ---- Ryans ------- Wong. That lineup is the best for the Texans. The sideline to sideline speed is there for both greenwood and ryans. Wong has a nose for the ball and can realy help out a good midlelinebacker. When we has Sharper and Wong they were a prety good combo.