PDA

View Full Version : Looking past the Jags, the Titans are on the horizon

hollywood_texan
10-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Two weeks from today is going to be a very interesting day of reflection on this franchise.

This will be the first must win for the Texans.

YoungTexanFan
10-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Two weeks from today is going to be a very interesting day of reflection on this franchise.

This will be the first must win for the Texans.

If every game is not "must win" for a team, they might as well not play the game.

jaayteetx
10-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Must win for what? To keep us in the playoff hunt, out of the AFC South cellar, or to avoid looking bad not taking VY? Man, I'me so sick of fricking losing!

hollywood_texan
10-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Must win for what? To keep us in the playoff hunt, out of the AFC South cellar, or to avoid looking bad not taking VY? Man, I'me so sick of fricking losing!

I think many outsiders are going to be looking at that game to make the final determination that the Texans are on their way to being one of the worst franchises of all time.

Also, it isn't going to demoralize the fan base losing to the Titans and having VY play big part of it.

The Texans are like the Aggies, the year is made by beating just one team. We should change the name to the Houston Taggies!

Malloy
10-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Considering our current production and amount of injuries this far into the season, I would be very pleased splitting the two Titans games.

We're in deep trouble :)

Runner
10-16-2006, 07:22 PM
We shouldn't look past the Jags. We need to take this one loss at a time.

kcwilson
10-16-2006, 07:29 PM
We shouldn't look past the Jags. We need to take this one loss at a time.

Now there is the consumate professional... totally focused on the next game and not dreading the next loss until he has time to digest the current one facing him. Wear a cup, this one is going to hurt.

Well done.

Vinny
10-16-2006, 07:32 PM
Is this a "must win" or just another of those "just play well" type situations. I'm getting them confused lately.

Wolf
10-16-2006, 07:33 PM
If we thought we couldn't run against the Cowboys, I expect the running game to become even worse against the Jags front 4

Sarg01
10-16-2006, 07:33 PM
I think many outsiders are going to be looking at that game to make the final determination that the Texans are on their way to being one of the worst franchises of all time.

I just don't understand that. We're not even the worst franchise this year. I wouldn't even put us in the bottom five (Oak, Det, Ten, TB, GB). Everyone will feel differently after we beat the Jaguars. Some folks around here are chronically depressed. It's not that bad. We're 1 and 4, yes, but all four losses were to teams that would be playoff teams if they weren't in the same division (real tough to get three teams in one division to the playoffs).

The only bottom-half team we played, we beat. It wasn't really a "fluky" sort of win, either. It really felt that we deserved it, even if the 4th quarter collapse feeling from last year started creeping up on us.

We usually play the Jags well, and their massive DLine with weak LBs (Peterson's IRed) is perfect for a power running game. If we can't get it going there, it's not going to work at all. They eat up sloppy QB play between their rush and Rashaun Mathis, but Carr has been nothing but accurate all season long, even under pressure - he's got what, 1 INT that was a bad throw? Maybe 2? I don't think Mathis can match up with either Moulds or Johnson (just as long as AJ doesn't drop it!). No one on their offense scares me. Fred Taylor following Greg Jones was a little worrisome, but Jones is IRed and I think Demeco can deal with Taylor for us.

Wolf
10-16-2006, 07:36 PM
I don't agree with that..NFL is parity now and after 4 years we shouldn't be blown out by the "playoff teams"..

I may think we won't win, but we surely shouldn't be blown out.

Vinny
10-16-2006, 07:37 PM
We usually play the Jags well, and their massive DLine with weak LBs (Peterson's IRed) is perfect for a power running game. If we can't get it going there, it's not going to work at all. .I see you are still under the assumption that we have a power running game. :rolleyes:

kcwilson
10-16-2006, 07:42 PM
I just don't understand that. We're not even the worst franchise this year. I wouldn't even put us in the bottom five (Oak, Det, Ten, TB, GB). Everyone will feel differently after we beat the Jaguars. Some folks around here are chronically depressed. It's not that bad. We're 1 and 4, yes, but all four losses were to teams that would be playoff teams if they weren't in the same division (real tough to get three teams in one division to the playoffs).

The only bottom-half team we played, we beat. It wasn't really a "fluky" sort of win, either. It really felt that we deserved it, even if the 4th quarter collapse feeling from last year started creeping up on us.

We usually play the Jags well, and their massive DLine with weak LBs (Peterson's IRed) is perfect for a power running game. If we can't get it going there, it's not going to work at all. They eat up sloppy QB play between their rush and Rashaun Mathis, but Carr has been nothing but accurate all season long, even under pressure - he's got what, 1 INT that was a bad throw? Maybe 2? I don't think Mathis can match up with either Moulds or Johnson (just as long as AJ doesn't drop it!). No one on their offense scares me. Fred Taylor following Greg Jones was a little worrisome, but Jones is IRed and I think Demeco can deal with Taylor for us.

I am going to try and not be a homer about this...

Tennessee: Admittedly, they have been playing well. They just beat the Redskins, who tromped our butts, and also held Indy to 14 points, as opposed to our 43. How they are a worse franchise after mostly having a better record than us the past four years is beyond my reasoning.

Tampa Bay: Not sure why they are terrible, their defense is strong, played a tough schedule, and lost their starting QB to a ruptured spleen. (Balt, Atlanta, carolina, NO, and Cincy) I wouldn't put them anywhere close to our class of bad.

Detroit: They are bad because of how long they have been bad for... but Matt "Casserly North" Millen is their cancer and they have been steadily improving, including the win against us last year and having watched their games because my bro is a detroit fan, I can't honestly say that we could beat them. It would be close.

Oakland: No contest...

Green Bay: Haven't seen enough to form a great opinion...

We can play the jags tough but plain and simple, this Texans team is mentally soft. I can't put any faith in the team bringing any competitve spirit to the game. I really want them to win, but my head tells me that nothing we have seen leads us to believe that this team is a competitve team as put together as Jacksonville.

Sarg01
10-16-2006, 07:43 PM
I see you are still under the assumption that we have a power running game. :rolleyes:

Well, you have to call it something. Dayneball? The Sherman Shuffle?

It sure isn't the zone-blocking we saw in preseason.

Vinny
10-16-2006, 07:46 PM
oh yeah...we gotta come up with some bizarro-world nickname for our ground "attack"

Vinny
10-16-2006, 07:48 PM
This is kinda Ron Daynish.....the Ron Danish? That has some potential hmmmm. Dayne runs like a rolling tomato...This logo is mean too.
http://www.consoleclassix.com/info_img/Attack_of_the_Killer_Tomatoes_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

HJam72
10-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Well, you have to call it something. Dayneball? The Sherman Shuffle?

It sure isn't the zone-blocking we saw in preseason.

No it isn't and whatever is being done different needs to stop. I could swear I saw one side of the center doing ZBS and the other not, while the center just randomly did one or the other. Other times, you've got both sides of the line pushing everybody inside and Dayne running right up the gut into about 11 people. It's really pretty ignorant stuff, from what I can tell.

tsip
10-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Is this a "must win" or just another of those "just play well" type situations. I'm getting them confused lately.

I can understand your confusion because we've done neither on a 'regular' basisi--maybe we should add 'just show up' to the mix-no way to screw that up, right?

HJam72
10-16-2006, 07:52 PM
I think the Jags game is one of those "keep your head down, try not to show your shame, and just get the punishment over with" games. It'll be similar to the Colts game, I'm sure. The Titans game will be worse though, because some people still expect us to win that one. It's not looking so good if you ask me.

hollywood_texan
10-16-2006, 08:04 PM
I think the Jags game is one of those "keep your head down, try not to show your shame, and just get the punishment over with" games. It'll be similar to the Colts game, I'm sure. The Titans game will be worse though, because some people still expect us to win that one. It's not looking so good if you ask me.

I like the way you put that.

Playing the Jags is like being locked up in a small cage with a 5,000 lb gorilla.

The idea isn't to win, it is too survive!

19-10
10-16-2006, 08:12 PM

Playing the Jags is like being locked up in a small cage with a 5,000 lb gorilla.

Man I'd say people are giving the Jags waaaaay too much credit but I was in Irving yesterday and know better. While I don't think they are all that - we are who we are.

Like I said in another post - I'm showing up for the tailgate very early Sunday so I can get good and numb before the ass kicking.

hollywood_texan
10-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Man I'd say people are giving the Jags waaaaay too much credit but I was in Irving yesterday and know better. While I don't think they are all that - we are who we are.

Like I said in another post - I'm showing up for the tailgate very early Sunday so I can get good and numb before the ass kicking.

Actually, I think the Jags are a 5,000 lb gorilla compared to the Texans squad, that was really my point.

The Texans are very quickly shaping up into a bunch of losers.

Pagan
10-16-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm suing Vinny for posting that pic without a warning, I nearly choked on my Shiner.

On a side note, I'm sure looking back at this season it'll probably be the best memory associated with the '06 Texans.

AustinJB
10-16-2006, 10:05 PM

I agree. Of course I want us to win, but I'm a realist and I just don't see it. If we don't show some serious improvement this week (which I highly doubt), the Titans will hand us our @$$.

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but just giving my :twocents: Expect a big day from VY...Our game will be his 5th start and he is getting more and more comfortable every week. Not to mention that he wanted to come here and he took us passing on him as an insult. No matter what people want to say, that is not a position you want to be in. Remember when he didn't win the Heisman? He will make us pay...sad but true...just wait and see.:hides:

BTW, I'm okay with us not taking VY...I can at least understand the reasoning behind our decision. However, him going to the Titans was the 2nd worst thing that could have happened for me....the WORST thing would have been him going to the Cowboys.9:twocents:

jagibelieve
10-17-2006, 01:01 PM
You all need to have a little more faith than this thread. Historically, Jaguars vs. Texans games are usually pretty good. The way some of you are posting, you expect a blow out like the Jaguars did against the Jets. I don't see that happening (I'm trying to be honest here).

Your team will come around, and as I said before the season even started, a new coach, new system and given the players that you have is going to take some time to build. It doesn't just "magically" happen.

That being said, of course I expect the Jaguars to win this coming weekend. I don't expect it to come easy, and there is a chance that the Texans can pull a win out of this one.

I honestly hope for a good game and NO injuries on either team. Either way, I'll be back here to congratulate or maybe smack a little bit.

Just take it one game at a time, and remember, you all are in a rebuilding year. Everyone wants their team to win, but sometimes it takes a season or two to get there.

hollywood_texan
10-17-2006, 01:43 PM
You all need to have a little more faith than this thread. Historically, Jaguars vs. Texans games are usually pretty good. The way some of you are posting, you expect a blow out like the Jaguars did against the Jets. I don't see that happening (I'm trying to be honest here).

Your team will come around, and as I said before the season even started, a new coach, new system and given the players that you have is going to take some time to build. It doesn't just "magically" happen.

That being said, of course I expect the Jaguars to win this coming weekend. I don't expect it to come easy, and there is a chance that the Texans can pull a win out of this one.

I honestly hope for a good game and NO injuries on either team. Either way, I'll be back here to congratulate or maybe smack a little bit.

Just take it one game at a time, and remember, you all are in a rebuilding year. Everyone wants their team to win, but sometimes it takes a season or two to get there.

Thanks for the perspective, but I have been watching the Texans since 2002 and the NFL since I was a little kid.

It seems clear that the Texans squad of 2006 has no heart, not to mention professionalism. Some of these guys are making millions and they look like quitters. You would at least think someone from the Texans would apologize to the fans, or at a minimum, season ticketholders.

Sure, things can change quickly in the NFL, but this teams hasn't shown any glimpses of hope going back to 2004.

The defense is horrible and the offense is what it has always been, mediocre.

eriadoc
10-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Attitude and confidence are a big part of playing winning football. The Texans don't have that and it shows once they fall behind. However, against the Jags, they have always played them well. Even last year, when the Jags won both games, the Texans were one dropped ball by Bradford away from possibly shocking the Jags in their own stadium.

For that reason, I don't discount the Texans against the Jags. The Jags will probably win, but in Reliant, against a team we've played tough, the Texans have a better chance of suprising us than most would think.

edo783
10-17-2006, 03:09 PM
the Texans were one dropped ball by Bradford away from possibly shocking the Jags in their own stadium. .

Geeezzz, who would have ever expected that Bradford would drop a ball!

El Tejano
10-17-2006, 03:10 PM

Vinny you are on fire today my friend. You are cracking me up here today.

Vambo, the Marble Eye
10-17-2006, 06:16 PM

I am not going to wait... I am starting right now.
(Besides, payday was on Monday.)

T_Guru
10-17-2006, 11:29 PM
FWIW, it will be his fourth start. The Titans have a bye week this week.

We'll probably rely heavily on the run again but I think everyone will step up and Vince will have his best day so far statistically. As far as who wins, I have no idea. The homer in me says Titans. However, when you have two teams as bad as we both have been, you just can't tell.

run-david-run
10-18-2006, 12:23 AM
People calm down. We gave up 3 points in the first half to the number 5 offense in the NFL with two Pro-Bowl receivers, a pro bowl center and Pro-Bowl caliber O-line. The Titans have none of those, nor do they have a Qb has has thrown more then 1 TD in a game. Also, they are missing thier 2nd best defensive player in Haynsworth and have a significantly worse D then Dallas. Stop the run and we will win easily.

South Texan
10-18-2006, 12:30 AM
Also do not forget that Vince Young fans will be saying, "We told you so!" This game is a must win for the texans or suffer the consequences.
:yikes:

HA! Let them say that when we get the Number 1 pick next year!!!

FanFromCali
10-18-2006, 09:15 AM
Players should not look past teams but for fans it is ok...

First off, Vince Young is going to be a bust. How many "run first" QB are successful in the NFL? How about "none"? They have to learn to be good passers above everything else. Young was being talked about moving to WR up until his senior year. Worst mistake of the draft was the Titans passing over Leinhart for Young.

But more importantly, back to the game. This is a game (and we have very few of these so lets enjoy them) where we as fans should expect (as opposed to hope for) a win. IMO the Titans are the second worst team in the NFL next to the Raiders.

Texans 20
Titans 10

...and this is only if the team has still not figured out their running game.

Vinny
10-18-2006, 09:43 AM

First off, Vince Young is going to be a bust. How many "run first" QB are successful in the NFL? How about "none"? They have to learn to be good passers above everything else. Young was being talked about moving to WR up until his senior year. Worst mistake of the draft was the Titans passing over Leinhart for Young.

But more importantly, back to the game. This is a game (and we have very few of these so lets enjoy them) where we as fans should expect (as opposed to hope for) a win. IMO the Titans are the second worst team in the NFL next to the Raiders.

Texans 20
Titans 10

just because you type it....doesn't make it true. You ought to watch his last game...he played in the pocket and they beat the Skins.

D-Vizzl
10-18-2006, 10:06 AM

Texans 20
Titans 10

Vince Young will be a bust because why? Every game he gets smarter with decision making. It was cool to say that before he actually played a game in the NFL but now it's just old, stale, and vindictive. In the Titans game I would watch out for their running game, they could potentially gol off for 200+, also scouting will tell you that Brandon Jones is his favorite target.

As far as for the Jags I would go straight at Ahmad Caroll period.

infantrycak
10-18-2006, 10:15 AM
just because you type it....doesn't make it true.

Not sure if this was addressing the WR comment in bold or the run first QB thing. There were quite a few folks still predicting WR going into VY's last season and debating VY vs. Reggie McNeil. We had several threads here on the subject. VY decisively proved the WR and RM sides of those arguments wrong his junior year.

You ought to watch his last game...he played in the pocket and they beat the Skins.

Absolutely correct--he has not been run happy at all in the NFL.

Runner
10-18-2006, 10:19 AM
You ought to watch his last game...he played in the pocket and they beat the Skins.

Absolutely correct--he has not been run happy at all in the NFL.

And Leinart moved around pretty well in the last game. The good ones can adjust their games - I guess that is why they are good.

But I'm off-topic.

tsip
10-18-2006, 10:24 AM

Texans 20
Titans 10

Young threw for over 3000yds and ran for 1000yds his JR yr at UT and had one of the highest passer ratings in the country---how does that translate to 'run' first?

mootini
10-18-2006, 10:55 AM

Hollywood...Man, you made me laugh!!! I don't think this game will be a shut out. Your team plays hard vs. Jags. Kudos to you Texan fans...you love your team.

threetoedpete
10-18-2006, 11:04 AM

Also, it isn't going to demoralize the fan base losing to the Titans and having VY play big part of it.

The Texans are like the Aggies, the year is made by beating just one team. We should change the name to the Houston Taggies!

Well got aways to go to catch the Tampa bay Bucks of the seventies and the Bengals of the nineties. Might catch the 81' colts for the worst defense since the merger of 1970. With Seth Payne out and Travis Johnson spear heading the defensive interior line attack, I have every confidence that that goal is clearly within the Texans reach this year. TJ is going to be more exposed than a New Orleans hooker on fat tuesday. And...Demeeeco too.

Vinny
10-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Well got aways to go to catch the Tampa bay Bucks of the seventies and the Bengals of the nineties.
donno, we seem to be on track. The Bucs shot to the playoffs and had a nice run from 79 to 82 when they drafted Doug Williams in 1978. They were an expansion team in 1976. They didn't get better till they started to get some production from their QB. We had our best teams in our first couple of years and we have gotten worse since then....we had a decent core but drafting and scouting have made us a laughing stock as we have not been able to replace aging vets and released guys like Foley, McCree, Wright and Glenn who are playing roles on other teams while we struggle at those spots today.

post # 38 - I was talking about Young being moved to WR infantry...the only people talking about that were the haters. Texas never considered it.

infantrycak
10-18-2006, 03:08 PM
post # 38 - I was talking about Young being moved to WR infantry...the only people talking about that were the haters. Texas never considered it.

No--I didn't mean Texas was considering it--simply that discussions were going on about who was going to have the better year, him or Reggie McNeil, whether either would make it as QB or as WR in the NFL--I heard those here and even from pundits around the internet and on TV. It is all history now as VY had an epic junior year.

Texas Lobo
10-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Historically (and I know this doesn't really mean anything) we have had more wins against the Jags that any other team we've played. 4 wins. Maybe there is some hope.

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-18-2006, 06:04 PM

Texans 20
Titans 10

Everyone who is a part of this thread knows that this is possibly the worst post in the history of the internet.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

I've been to every Titans home game and watched every one on TV, Vince has scrambled maybe 6-7 times.

Do your homework before you make yourself look like a jackass.

run-david-run
10-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Vince has done better then I though he would at the begining of his career, and his run for a TD against Indy was beautiful, like it was in slow motion.

Texas Lobo
10-22-2006, 11:42 PM
I thought this was an appropiate time to bring this topic back.

run-david-run
10-22-2006, 11:58 PM
I thought this was an appropiate time to bring this topic back.

Looks like we were right to look past the Jags, but for the wrong reason. I have said a couple of times we were better, esspecially defensivley, then 1-4 and 34-6 would indicate. Obviously I dont expect us to only give up 7 points and 240 yards weekly, but I dont think this will be the last dominating performance we will see from the defense.