PDA

View Full Version : What about the Texans disappoints you the most?

c5demon
10-16-2006, 10:54 AM
The extension of David Carr? Draft Selection? The Defense? Secondary? Playcalling? No leadership? Lack of output on the field?

Vinny
10-16-2006, 10:58 AM
We gutted this team but kept the scouts....Fire Bobby Grier! That's what the Pats did when the Patriots became a decent team...perhaps we need to do it as well.

gab24m3
10-16-2006, 11:02 AM
c5demon you hit the nail on the head!:brickwall

Reddevil63
10-16-2006, 11:08 AM
The lack of fight disappoints me the most. I hate watching this team crumble when they get down.

Corrosion
10-16-2006, 11:16 AM
I dont know which is worse , 17 rushing plays for a net total of 43 yards or the 140 rushing yards they gave up in the 3rd quarter alone . :brickwall

Texans_Chick
10-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Biggest disappointment: Run game in the preseason, no run game in the regular season. By the time you figure out you have a problem, it is basically too late to fix. If they get the running game going, I will be amazed.

In the bigger scheme of things, I wish we had more experience in our defensive coordinator and our defensive backs coach positions.

I wish we had a coach that could coach the ZBS in the way that Denver does it.

You can't pick up all the personnel you need in one season. Both lines are a problem, and the defensive personnel is a mess.

Runner
10-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Most disappointing? Almost no improvement, anywhere.

Marcus
10-16-2006, 11:24 AM
The thing that disappointments me the most . . is that we never win the trench battles . . even in the few games that we win.

I'm old school to a fault, and I don't apologize for that. I'm a firm believer that if you can beat the other team on the line of scrimmage, then you win. To me, it's that simple.

beerlover
10-16-2006, 11:24 AM
lack of 2nd half effectivness. even with anemic offense 6 points in the first half the defense was aggressive and held the cowpokes to 3. somehow we need to figure a way to call the game after the first half :yawn:

HOU-TEX
10-16-2006, 11:25 AM

I agree to a certain extent. It's kind of like we take a small step forward, then the next moment we take two huge steps backwards. It's embarrassing being a Texan fan sometimes.:embarrass

wags
10-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Running game and I guess some coaching and playcalling so far. I can't believe we didn't throw at Watkins yesterday. Did our coaches not see him get lit up like a Marion Berry crackpipe against the Eagles? I was at the game yesterday and I don't remember our receivers running anything deeper than intermediate. Also, let em drop Kubs and do something with 35 seconds left and one timeout instead of giving it to Ron Dayne 1.0 ........................

texflex513
10-16-2006, 11:45 AM
The extension of David Carr? Draft Selection? The Defense? Secondary? Playcalling? No leadership? Lack of output on the field?A few weeks ago i would have said the defense. Now i shift my displeasure to the running game or lack thereof. Our D played tremendous in the first half but due to our lack of balance on O bad things started to happen and the rest is history. We are down but not out injuries are killing us as well. GO TEXANS!!!!!!!!

OzzO
10-16-2006, 11:52 AM
The fact that the current staff can't turn this team around in 1 offseason, 4 pre-season games, and 5 regular season games in what took the previous staff 4 years to jack up.

</sarcasm>

But, yeah - what everyone else mentioned above and the bottom line fact that we've had 4 wins out of the last 20 regular season games. That's what most disappoints me.

WiiBrawler
10-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Why are we all disapointed?This is a "rebuilding year"

FirstTexansFan
10-16-2006, 12:10 PM
So many holes where do we start? I'm glad I'm not the one having to make the decisions, but I don't forsee this group making a run at anything until we see a massive turnover in personnel. I suppose my positive outlook on things keeps the balance in check for me. I try to see the whole picture, what mistakes have been made in the past, that continue to haunt us today. You can all lay blame whereever you choose, but I choose to have faith that our owner, and our new coach will find a way to be successful one day. I just hope I live to see it, but if not, someone email me ok? :)

Hulk75
10-16-2006, 12:11 PM
We gutted this team but kept the scouts....Fire Bobby Grier! That's what the Pats did when the Patriots became a decent team...perhaps we need to do it as well.

I like that, I will go with that.

slamdunc
10-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Coaching...Kubes is the right guy long term. WhatI don't get is the inability (or "want to") to adjust schemes. Zone blocking is not working right now. I know this is the system and will be in the future. But, in watching limited Dallas action this year, it appeared that teams that lined up, hat on hat, and hammered them in the mouth did so with success. A small quick defense should not be attacked with slow developing, look for a whole running game. This is especially true when you are not good at blocking it. 3 pops from the 1 or 2 on the opening drive? Go to jumbo set and bust them in the mouth.

Kubes, from what I can see, kept doing the same thing in the RG.

Mr teX
10-16-2006, 12:14 PM

That pretty much sums it up & that 5 years later we STILL have OL problems.:brickwall

hot pickle
10-16-2006, 12:20 PM
no half time adjustments, and giving up after we are down by 4

nunusguy
10-16-2006, 12:20 PM
The performance of the DLine, nothing else even comes close.
We have 3 first round picks (including the top overall pick of '06) invested in
the defensive line, and for boot our top (most expensive) FA pickup this past
offseason also is a DLine guy. We are getting a very pathetic return on investement for this high-cap collection.
As bad as the OLine is, not near the investment as their defensive counterparts so I can't be nearly as disappointed with them.

SESupergenius
10-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Hugely disappointed in the secondary, they just have game in them. We can't count on them to cause turnovers, even fumbles.

Meisterman
10-16-2006, 12:27 PM
They are having to start over in year 5 and still do not have a player (or franchise QB) that makes we want to watch every week. Back to the Sports bars to watch Vince and Reggie. Oh well :cool:

Kaiser Toro
10-16-2006, 12:45 PM
When you have two players making 15 million dollars and their output does not effect the game you have an issue. Moreover, when a new staff comes in and re-signs one of those players some of us saw the residual effect coming. Our allocation of funds and the scouting has not been good from the FO down to the staff. Kubiak may be a genius, but few geniuses did it without great players or great staffs. Kubiak tied himself and the organization's success to Carr. Stretch the field coach, we know what Carr and AJ can do in the 0-5 yard range. You saw something on tape, now show us what you saw.

The playbook does not work after the first drive, why is that?

Texans86
10-16-2006, 12:51 PM
Currently, the running game, or lack thereof.

This past Sunday was the most pathetic, but this entire season has been a bust running wise. the injuries along the Line haven't helped, but it can't completely be blamed on them. I'm just ready to see someone block out there. I'm also ready to see some young legs out there who want to get to the hole. Dayne runs too high for my liking, and I haven't seen enough out of Gado. Maybe it is time to get Lundy some time again, or activate Chris Taylor from the Practice squad. We showed early we weren't afraid to bench some guys, and from what I've seen lately, Dayne may need to be benched.

19 yard from a running back on any more than 6 carries is a bad day. Our running backs had 14 carries. We couldn't knock it in from 1 yard out on three tries. Coach Kubiak has done wonders with the passing game, and those guys have earned their job, but the guys that get handed the ball need to do some soul searching on the bench.

Maybe it is the line that has the problem, and if so, Coach Sherman needs to get on their butts about the holes that need to get opened up. I can't be completely mad at him though because there were no sacks yesterday, so he is doing something right.

All in all, we could be a decent team with some semblance of a running game, but our current personell on the field is holding us back. Considering today is the trade deadline, I hope Lundy or C.Taylor can stand up and dominate practices so that they can get some playing time.

lance2112
10-16-2006, 01:15 PM
What disappoints me the most is that we seem to be locked into another system we don’t have the players to run. I was originally led to believe we had this zone blocking scheme that your grandmother could rush for 1000 yards in. But we can all see how that has turned out. If were going to be a passing team then lets be a passing team how about a shot gun formation or four wide receiver or something. Seems just like déjà vu all over again

Honch Delgado
10-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Drafting and Free Agency. They have been terrible. Not counting this draft, there are only 4-5 players that have made a contribution to the development of this team. Chester Pitts, Domanick Davis, Andre Johnson, Dunta Robinson, and Jerome Mathis.

WWJD
10-16-2006, 02:38 PM
1) worse running game in the NFL.

2) they haven't scored once in the third quarter. So what happens to them at halftime?

3) poor secondary play. Giving up on too many plays.

afcman
10-16-2006, 02:43 PM

Yeah, after all this time. Though Carr is (finally!) showing some good stuff.

This thread needs to be emailed to the owner, the front office, and all the coaches.

WWJD
10-16-2006, 02:50 PM
I think it's apparent for the Texans at least that this is not going to be a quick fix.

Casserly left them in awful shape personnel wise and Coach Capers was not the right coach to build this franchise from the ground up. Magic did not strike twice with him.

They'll need to be active in free agency next year, get some playmakers and get rid of the garbage. I personally think Coach Kubiak was a good hire.

I'm still bummed about no Vince here but oh well. Mario is playing better. Finally.

NFLforher
10-16-2006, 02:55 PM
The extension of David Carr? Draft Selection? The Defense? Secondary? Playcalling? No leadership? Lack of output on the field?

The OL and not getting Reggie.

CoogBull
10-16-2006, 03:01 PM
There are many things that disappoint me, but I will limit my venom to two issues: fundamentals and lack of heart

1. This teams needs to go back to the fundamentals. Making tackles is one of them. We are allowing to many YACs.

A medicore team that executes can beat a great teams that fails to any day.

The Texans need to get back to bread and butter issues like tackling, running, and simply playing your part. A football team is like a body, it can still work when some of the parts are defective. It may not work perfectly but it will get you to tomorrow.

2. This team lacks heart.

It seems that the instant our opponents get ahead we give up.

A good team holds on to the end. The Texans give up at halftime.

Just remember, when life get down, there is always beer.

afcman
10-16-2006, 03:07 PM
There are many things that disappoint me, but I will limit my venom to two issues: fundamentals and lack of heart

1. This teams needs to go back to the fundamentals. Making tackles is one of them. We are allowing to many YACs.

A medicore team that executes can beat a great teams that fails to any day.

The Texans need to get back to bread and butter issues like tackling, running, and simply playing your part. A football team is like a body, it can still work when some of the parts are defective. It may not work perfectly but it will get you to tomorrow.

2. This team lacks heart.

It seems that the instant our opponents get ahead we give up.

A good team holds on to the end. The Texans give up at halftime.

ABSOLUTELY.

They need to watch the tape of yesterdays Saints and Titans games. That's all about NOT GIVING UP.

touttail
10-16-2006, 03:08 PM
EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crying:

I was there for the roller coaster ride.
Big time excitement being ahead 6-3 ast the half, in the game.
Then here comes the bigtime letdown.

Bobby 119C

afcman
10-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Then here comes the bigtime letdown.

Yeah. Like they just said "we're gonna lose anyway....everybody knows it....so might as well take it easy."

brewhaus
10-16-2006, 03:22 PM
In general:
Their lack of heart.

Yesterday:
The way the Texans stopped playing in the 4th quarter, and then the Cowgirls started to hurt them physically.

:twocents:

kcwilson
10-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Biggest disappointment: Run game in the preseason, no run game in the regular season. By the time you figure out you have a problem, it is basically too late to fix.

TC, You should know that we can never really use the pre-season as a litmus test for any part of your team.... if you recall, Oakland finished the pre-season 4-0.

Farough
10-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Mostly the 3rd down run calls... which seem to be EVERY 3rd down.

run-david-run
10-16-2006, 03:32 PM

I acctually see improvement. We won a close game two weeks ago we could have easily given away. We held tough with the Cowboys for half the game and the defense is getting better. Look at the receivers running around in the Indy game and this game. Glenn/TO are very comparable to Marvin/Reggie and we held them combined to under 100 yards while giving up 250 to Marvin and Reggie. Obviously the TD's, but that wasn't converage, just some bad luck. Look at how many times we were gashed by Portis and Betts. JJ had one big run the whole game (start of the second half). Yes these are slow and painstaking steps, but they are in the right direction. By the end of the season, I firmly believe we will have an average defense with the potential to become a Top 10 unit with upgrades in the secondary and a linebacker or two.

GuerillaBlack
10-16-2006, 03:38 PM
We can't run the football for ****.

edo783
10-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Fith year and still the O-line sucks and every year everyone knows it's the main problem and still it remains the main problem.

tsip
10-16-2006, 03:57 PM
We need to let Criss Angel work some of his magic on this team....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rsA8GY-9ds

brewhaus
10-16-2006, 04:09 PM
We need to let Criss Angel work some of his magic on this team....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rsA8GY-9ds

Yeah, Maybe Criss could quarterback for us next week.

POWERBALL
10-16-2006, 05:32 PM
not winning!!!!!winning is everything and when we start to turn it around then all the aggravation will be over.

Honoring Earl 34
10-16-2006, 05:59 PM
I'm with Vinny on the scouting . If you look at what could have been and compare it to what it is ... I'll even give them a 4 free pick mulligan rate .

I think from 2002-2005 through dumb picks and trades we have one 2nd rd. pick ( Pitts ) and one 3rd rd. pick ( Peek ) , thats it on this team .

Wolf
10-16-2006, 06:01 PM
I'm with Vinny on the scouting . If you look at what could have been and compare it to what it is ... I'll even give them a 4 free pick mulligan rate .

I think from 2002-2005 through dumb picks and trades we have one 2nd rd. pick ( Pitts ) and one 3rd rd. pick ( Peek ) , thats it on this team .
http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=29479
here you go..

Honoring Earl 34
10-16-2006, 06:13 PM
OK I'll do it .

Peppers
Bentley
Portis
Witherspoon
Westbrook

Carr
Gaffney
Pitts
Weary
Hill

These are your choices

Texan1
10-16-2006, 06:17 PM
They wear the name 'Texans', b/c this ogranization is nothing like the state of Texas.

ATX_Texan
10-16-2006, 08:47 PM
The fact that when the Texans beat the Cowboys in that first game. Both teams were in really bad shape. All these years later and the Cowboys (and several other teams) were able to rebuild. However, the Texans have not only not improved, but they have actually regressed.

The OL has been horrible and it seems like we never address this problem in the draft or FA for all these years, except for throwing a ton of FA money at an OL man that is no longer here.

However, the biggest failure has been with the defense. The Cowboys and Chargers were both able to build good 3-4 defenses in half the time of Capers and Company. First, we are told that we don't have the players for a 3-4 defense. Now, they tell us we don't have the players for a 4-3 either. For three years we draft DL based on their "potential" and we spend big bucks on Smith and Weaver in FA and still the line stinks. We also overspend on Greenwood and the recently departed PBuc and we have nothing to show for it.

After all these years the Texans are closer becoming the new Arizona Cardinals or Browns, instead of an elite team.

texan_fan_8
10-16-2006, 11:30 PM

I somewhat don't know where to start. I am extremely disappointed that they continue to cottle David Carr. Back to Back interceptions would of had his butt on the bench if i was coach. I keeps saying he sucks the life out of this team. I didn't agree with extending him so long for that much money.

And i don't agree with keeping him in as a starter with these 2 interceptions and 6 fumbles in 2 weeks. Good players don't make excuses, they just get the job done.

You can have a fair QB and have him be a great leader and it works (phil Simms)

You can have a Great QB and have them suck as a leader and it doen't work.
So i don't care about his talent and his potential he's not been a leader for the last 2 seasons.

cbnjwill
10-16-2006, 11:47 PM
the most dissappointing thing to me is that we have had to endure 5 yrs of terrible boring football. i knew the first 3 yrs would be a growing period but come yr 4 felt like we should compete for a playoff spot. now 5 yrs later we are still one of the worst teams in the league without alot of hope for the future.this team would be a little more bareable if they were atleast exciting, but this team just lacks any big time stars. i think a.j. could be a star but not on this team he may need to be on another team before he takes that next step samething for dunta. what did mcnair say after the draft? "im not worried about selling tickets" well mr. mcnair we certainly can see that your not worried about selling tickets, for that matter doesnt seem like he cares about winning games as well. it really sucks that as a fan you wait all yr for the season to start and have so much hope then after 5 games you can only look forward to the draft. well atleast theres fantasy football, and the nfl ticket. hell i turned the texans game off and watched vince lead the titans to their first victory. atleast mcnair knows plenty of tickets will be sold when vy comes to town. war the 2007 draft. what workout wonder will we draft then?

Scooter
10-16-2006, 11:48 PM
espn 4 years ago made a commercial making fun of how bad our offensive line was. it disappoints me that that commercial is still an accurate portrayal.

Texan Ned
10-17-2006, 12:52 AM
The lack of fight disappoints me the most. I hate watching this team crumble when they get down.

This team is not competitive. Not against Washington, not against Dallas, not against Indy, and not against Phil. It is the most disappointing I have been in a team...ever. Its not even fun to go to game anymore, especially having to drive 2 hours each way, unless you are cheering for the other team and you want to watch them bash in the Texans' brains.

TheOgre
10-17-2006, 07:07 AM

Well said. I believe we have the most scouts in the NFL, but I think this is a case of quantity over quality. In other words, they ain't good.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
10-17-2006, 08:10 AM
I predicted at least 6 wins. I also said it wouldn't surprise me if they won 8 to 10 games!

Obviously, I was a little too optimistic. Someone said a few weeks ago that it would probably take Kubiak 2 full seasons to get all of the players he needs to run his schemes. That is the time frame I now have set in my mind for consistent success by the Texans.

Tayton
10-17-2006, 08:53 AM
The thing that bothers me the most is that I continue to throw my hard earned money at a very bad product. It's like going to a bad restaurant over and over again. I had high hopes for Kubiak but its looking a lot like Capers 2. "We just got to get better" is sounding a whole lot like "We need to execute."

touttail
10-17-2006, 09:03 AM
I predicted at least 6 wins. I also said it wouldn't surprise me if they won 8 to 10 games!

Obviously, I was a little too optimistic. Someone said a few weeks ago that it would probably take Kubiak 2 full seasons to get all of the players he needs to run his schemes. That is the time frame I now have set in my mind for consistent success by the Texans.

We will be lucky to win two more games.
Possible wins over Clev. & Oak.
Gonna suck when Vince Young kicks our butts!!!!!!

Bobby 119C

tsip
10-17-2006, 10:02 AM

It's going to be tough to get the players Kubiak wants when we are so 'unsettled' on offensive/defensive schemes and bring in players via the 'merry-go-round' method. Too, we are 'very weak' in game planning or any kind of 'in game' adjustments,etc,

Right now, this team is very unsettled and has problems in many areas--aka the last 4 yrs. We-in no way-have a team in place like the Pats/Colts/Steelers where players can be 'plugged in' and contribute to the teams success.

JMO, but something better happen 'quick' or this team is headed for a 'melt down' that 'ain't' gonna get fixed next year.

Kaiser Toro
10-17-2006, 10:38 AM
espn 4 years ago made a commercial making fun of how bad our offensive line was. it disappoints me that that commercial is still an accurate portrayal.

The players, the coaches and the correlating schemes on the O Line change but they keep protecting the same guy. It is either in the water in Houston or it is the guy they are protecting. 4.4 years is a long time in the NFL. We have gone past trending and into insanity. We need to try something different, the worst that could happen is we lose another game, which is the rule the last 5 years rather than the exception.

texansfaninca8892
10-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Mostly its the lack of a decent defense. And taking Mario with the #1 pick.
If they weren't gonna take Bush they should have taken A.J. Hawk, and Shawne Merriman last year.
In taking Mario, they should have made sure he was in the league of Julius Peppers or Jevon Kearse.

Honoring Earl 34
10-17-2006, 12:31 PM
The players, the coaches and the correlating schemes on the O Line change but they keep protecting the same guy. It is either in the water in Houston or it is the guy they are protecting. 4.4 years is a long time in the NFL. We have gone past trending and into insanity. We need to try something different, the worst that could happen is we lose another game, which is the rule the last 5 years rather than the exception.

KT, I had this same feeling when I tried to fix my lawnmower . I changed the airfilter the spark plug and drained the tank . I was convinced that I had it ... it ran long enough to give me that warm fuzzy feeling and it QUIT . I guess I should change the coil but why it looks good .

TexanBearkat
10-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Disappointments:

Defense
Running Game
Special Teams giving opposing teams great field position.
Honestly I would have told Thomas Johnson to pack his bags after making that stupid bonehead penalty by taking a shot on Brunell when Shantee Orr returned that fumble for a TD. Brunell was nowhere in the play

Highlights

Andre Johnson
Releasing Phillip Buchanon