PDA

View Full Version : Deferring the kickoff, am I missing something?

FILO_Doc
10-15-2006, 08:48 PM
For the life of me, I can not figure out why the Texans or any NFL team for that matter, would even think of receiving the kickoff first.

Check out these scenarios.

1. It is late in the 2nd quarter, you have the ball and score a touchdown. You kicked off, so you have the momentum going your way. Comes to the 3rd, who gets the ball? You do and you have the momentum already going.

2. You stop the Offense from scoring, or hold them to a field goal, you get the ball back.

3. Nobody scores, but the momentum is on your side. You get the ball back.

You have to ask yourself, why would the team chose to receive the ball in the second half over the first, by controlling the momentum going into the final half would be the best possible position IMO. :twocents:

K.D.
10-15-2006, 08:55 PM
If we scored a TD on that opening drive, we would've been in pretty good shape, but of course all we could muster was a damn fg. SAD

RTP2110
10-15-2006, 08:56 PM
I agree totally. I always want the ball to start the 2nd half when I play Madden. LOL

FILO_Doc
10-15-2006, 09:01 PM
What is this Madden crap? I am talking real NFL, not Fantasy crap.

I am asking why no one defers the kickoff, not how the Texans seem to play their games. Come on, wanting some intelligent responses.

TD
10-15-2006, 09:02 PM
I've always thought deferring is smart thing to do. When you're trailing you want the first opportunity to get back in the game. If you have the lead you want to put the opposition in a bigger hole.

TPIMP
10-15-2006, 09:08 PM
What is this Madden crap? I am talking real NFL, not Fantasy crap.

I am asking why no one defers the kickoff, not how the Texans seem to play their games. Come on, wanting some intelligent responses.

If you kick the ball and the other team makes a long drive and scores you may never get momentum the rest of the day. Everyone wants to score first.

Nbkan
10-15-2006, 09:14 PM
I am of the mindset to set the tone on offense. Get points and never get behind attitude, but that's just me. And as for Madden...don't get me started.

keyser
10-15-2006, 09:17 PM
For the life of me, I can not figure out why the Texans or any NFL team for that matter, would even think of receiving the kickoff first.

I think the reasoning is that by getting the ball first, you have a better opportunity to set the tone for the rest of the game. If you can get the ball and score on your first posession, you start making the other team play "catch-up." It's along the lines of seizing the initiative and making the other team respond to you rather than you responding to them.

Personally, though, I agree with you - I'd choose to defer. I would think that momentum is more valuable later in the game, once it's clearer what the situation is, than it is at the beginning, when there's lots of time for things to change around. But, I'm not a coach or player, so I might not understand the psychology of it all.

ArlingtonTexan
10-15-2006, 09:19 PM
You can't defer your decision in the NFL as you can in college. You either choose to have the ball or not. The team that wins the toss at the beginning of the game can choose to start game and no other time. The team that losses the toss in the first half get to choose in the 2nd half.

FILO_girl
10-15-2006, 09:45 PM
I thought it was an automatic, and think Doc may be of the same thought.
He will log on tomorrow and respond, I am sure.

TD
10-15-2006, 09:46 PM
You can't defer your decision in the NFL as you can in college. You either choose to have the ball or not. The team that wins the toss at the beginning of the game can choose to start game and no other time. The team that losses the toss in the first half get to choose in the 2nd half.

I looked it up, you're right. I guess that settles that.

keyser
10-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Yes, that's right - you don't get a "defer" choice (nice for my second post to these forums to have been pointless :brickwall ).

The rules summary can be found at:
http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/cointoss

The teams do get a choice, it appears: they can choose to kick instead of receive, or they can take their choice of which goal to defend instead of choosing to kick/receive. I can't imagine anyone taking any option other than to receive, though, unless it's in some really wild weather condition or something. Has anyone ever seen this happen?

J-Storm
10-16-2006, 06:18 AM
Yes, that's right - you don't get a "defer" choice (nice for my second post to these forums to have been pointless :brickwall ).

The rules summary can be found at:
http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/cointoss

The teams do get a choice, it appears: they can choose to kick instead of receive, or they can take their choice of which goal to defend instead of choosing to kick/receive. I can't imagine anyone taking any option other than to receive, though, unless it's in some really wild weather condition or something. Has anyone ever seen this happen?

I think it depends who you are playing according to weakness or strength. If your opposition is weak on Offense, it would help to pin them deep and get an early turnover...
OR
If your opposition is weak on Defense, you would be better off accepting the kick and setting the pace score wise with a long drive downfield that takes time, gets points and deflates the opposition Defense...

JMO on the matter, I'm sure someone may have another option that may be better worded or defined

eric138
10-16-2006, 06:41 AM
If I was the Bears I would always kickoff first and receive in the 2nd half. But most teams need to get out there first and try to get the first points.