PDA

View Full Version : How did Mario Look today???

tburdette
10-15-2006, 04:37 PM
I didn't get to see the game today. How did Mario look? I saw his stat line was a little more impressive than usual but what else besides that did he do?

infantrycak
10-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Mario had a good game today. He was disruptive and influenced plays even when he did not make the tackle.

Scooter
10-15-2006, 04:41 PM
i thought he played pretty well, but i didnt keep much of an eye on him. he made it into bledsoe's face a couple times and was good at getting into the backfield on many running plays. he's still got a long ways to go, but this might've been his best game.

DenverBorn
10-15-2006, 04:43 PM
Man you guys are reaching. He played fine if he'd been a FA pick-up. He's not playing anywhere near where he should play given he was the first pick of the draft. Good news is that Detroit, Tampa and Tennessee all won today, moving us back closer to the #1 pick derby.

Wolf
10-15-2006, 04:44 PM
reaching how?

Dr. Toro
10-15-2006, 04:44 PM
He had a great first quarter.

Hulk75
10-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Did very well, and played the run like he should.

K.D.
10-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I would say Mario had a really good game. Came close to getting a sack a couple of times. Play that stood out to me was he chased the RB across the field and made the tackle exactly when the announcers were talking about his speed and he showed tremendous quickness to the ball.

run-david-run
10-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Didnt give up on any plays, had a tackle 15 yards downfield on a WR. He played a good game. On one play they tried to run right at him and JJ litteraly bounced backward and was stoped for no gain. You can tell he's getting more comfortable, its coming together.

DenverBorn
10-15-2006, 04:49 PM
wow - the Texans lost 34-6 and the best you can say is "he came close to getting a sack"? Did we watch the same game?

AustinJB
10-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Man you guys are reaching. He played fine if he'd been a FA pick-up. He's not playing anywhere near where he should play given he was the first pick of the draft.

What? If we had signed a veteran FA and he had Mario's stat line today, you're saying you'd be pleased??! From a veteran?

....But since he's a rookie and still learning and progressing, it's not a good game?? This makes absolutely no sense.
:confused:

You obviously have expectations that are way too high. Yes, he's a #1 pick and I expect him to EVENTUALLY be a force. He had a good game today and he is showing progression. Give the man a break!!:ok:

infantrycak
10-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Did we watch the same game?

Evidently not if you thought Mario had a bad game.

Dr. Toro
10-15-2006, 04:53 PM
What do you want out of him? He's a Rookie DE playing against a very good and well coached team... I read a Dwight Freeney quote about getting sacks and being a DE, he said something to the effect of "You rush 900 times a season and get maybe 10 sacks". Think about that. I was happy to see his motor running big time today... he wasn't great, he was good. On a team with few bright spots in a brutal game, he looked pretty good. How about a little perspective?

Scooter
10-15-2006, 04:54 PM
You can tell he's getting more comfortable, its coming together.

yup, which is all you can really ask from a rookie ... nomatter when he was chosen. what stands out to me, is he's not beating himself anymore. he's not overthinking his role (atleast not nearly as often). his technique and field awareness is still well below where you want it to be, but that's getting better and just takes time.

bigbrewster2000
10-15-2006, 04:56 PM
wow - the Texans lost 34-6 and the best you can say is "he came close to getting a sack"? Did we watch the same game?

why are you on this MB BESIDES STIRRING THE POT?

Texan1
10-15-2006, 05:29 PM
Mario made one nice play chasing from the backside. You might be able to credit him with one pass distruption in the second quarter where Bledsoe over threw his target.

Other than that, no significant contribution - certainly lacking any notable achievements.

He still is playing tenative and add little to the overall D (unlike the other rookie Ryans).

That being said, you can't pin this loss on Mario.

blockhead83
10-15-2006, 05:33 PM
This was one of the few times I got to see a game in person, and I got to take a good look at Mario when he was on my side of the field. He looked really good today. He showed some great speed, strength, quickness, etc. and appeared to be pretty disruptive.

Second Honeymoon
10-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Mario made an impact in the first half but like the rest of the Texans, were MIA in the 2nd half. Embarassing team effort in the 2nd half highlighted err lowlighted by the play of the anemic secondary...Robinson, Sanders, and PBurnt are laughable. Bledsoe could have had 6 TDs today if he would have been on his game, which he was not.

In closing, Mario is a work in progress and the early returns have been somewhat lacking especially considering Bush has 'helped' turn a 2-14 team into a 5-1 team. Troll me if you want, but Mario's play will always be linked with Bush. Can anyone tell me with a straight face that the Saints would be 5-1 if they drafted Mario instead of Bush? Isn't winning whats all about. Measurables and stopwatches are for strippers and track stars. I feel Bush would have impacted our team more THIS year and I am sick of projects and 5 year plans.....win today worry about tomorrow later..

doug ftw

TexMex72
10-15-2006, 05:36 PM
"And the Houston Texans with the #1 pick, select
Adrian Peterson out of the University of Oklahoma."

That's what I hope I hear next Spring.

Mario did pretty good for the 1st half though. We need the whole game
next time.

Texan Ned
10-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Mario played better in the first half. he created a few disruptions. too bad the Texans quit in the second half. They had the crackboys moving backwards during the first 2 quarters, and Parcells had a couple of questionable coaching calls. No runnning game is obviously killing us. IMO, the Texans need help at OL, RB, QB, DL, DB. They are probably only 9-10 starters away from having a good starting lineup.

Brandon420tx
10-15-2006, 05:37 PM

next time.

I'd rather have a DB or a LB in the first round, and a Gaurd in the second...

Wolf
10-15-2006, 05:39 PM
well Adrian is out for a while with a broken collerbone.

however

williams 6 tackles.

Ryans 6 tackles 2 asists with a sack.

Texan Ned
10-15-2006, 05:41 PM

next time.

This stupid show of diving into the endzone has cost Oklahoma their #1 back for the rest of the season. It is a shame that these guys can't act like they have been there before, you know, like Emmitt Smith did when he scored.

Wolf
10-15-2006, 05:43 PM
This stupid show of diving into the endzone has cost Oklahoma their #1 back for the rest of the season. It is a shame that these guys can't act like they have been there before, you know, like Emmitt Smith did when he scored.

didn't see it.. I did hear about his dad was in the stands and his first TD he just handed the ball off to the ref

I might have to see if youtube.com has a link

JDizzle
10-15-2006, 05:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRysD-UHvBY

Last play on the tape. Doesn;t look like a showboat move to me.

awtysst
10-15-2006, 06:15 PM
[QUOTE= In closing, Mario is a work in progress and the early returns have been somewhat lacking especially considering Bush has 'helped' turn a 2-14 team into a 5-1 team. Troll me if you want, but Mario's play will always be linked with Bush. Can anyone tell me with a straight face that the Saints would be 5-1 if they drafted Mario instead of Bush? Isn't winning whats all about. Measurables and stopwatches are for strippers and track stars. I feel Bush would have impacted our team more THIS year and I am sick of projects and 5 year plans.....win today worry about tomorrow later..

doug ftw[/QUOTE]

Yeah I will say it. If the Saints drafted Mario they would have been 5-1. The saints have been winnign becuase Deuce is healthy(injured last season), have a real QB in Brees(Aaron is a joke), and have been joined by WR surprise in Marques Colston. What has reggie really done for the Saints? Not a whole lot. Through 5 games, Reggie has had 170 yds rushing(34YPG average) and 250 yds receiving (50 YPG receiving) and 1 td(on a punt return). Colston has had MUCH MUCH more to do with the turnaround of the Saints then Reggie thus far.

run-david-run
10-15-2006, 06:27 PM

It wasnt really showboating. A guy had him around the ankles at the 3 and he just dove to make sure he got it and landed awkardly because of the tackle. I wonder how much this will afect his draft status?

TexMex72
10-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Well the next draft they should only draft offensive lineman. You could
have Reggie Bush and Adrian Peterson in the backfield but if there isn't
anyone to block, it doesn't even really matter. I want to see this team succeed but it sure is tough when in crunchtime you have what, 3
turnovers in a row. I don't know where they'll go from here. They may just
start going through the motions. Then what?

I don't think it will affect Peterson's draft status. A collarbone is a lot
different than a knee.

FanFromCali
10-15-2006, 06:56 PM
Mario did a good job today. He disrupted plays, pressured the QB, and drew double-teams. A DE doesn’t need to get a sack every game to make a difference.

However, the team seriously needs more at LB and DB. The team is getting butchered on Def.

Huge
10-15-2006, 07:03 PM
He had a game that resembled the rest of the Texans team. Looked very good in the 1st half. Not so good in the 2nd.

Kaiser Toro
10-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Mario had his moments and then he had no moments. However, he is getting better as the game is beginning to slow down for him. If he develops two moves we will have an All-Pro DE to go with our future All-Pro MLB.

phan1
10-15-2006, 07:25 PM
I didn't concentrate on him, but he looks like he had a solid game. We were gashed on the run on his side many times though. I'm not sure if that can be blamed on him or the DT though...

Imatexanfan
10-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Evidently not if you thought Mario had a bad game.

Well yea for a 1st rd 1st pick he played like dookie once again. I was all for the "supa mario" thing but further and further hell he's just another TJ good for nothing but a body on the feild .................wish REGGIE was on our team he'd be a good distraction for AJ and EMO but nahh lets pick "Supa Mario" yea he'll help us this year!!!:hides:

Wolf
10-15-2006, 07:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRysD-UHvBY

Last play on the tape. Doesn;t look like a showboat move to me.

no, no showboat there... but watching that just makes me :drool:

Smokedawg
10-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Mario did really good today. I loved how he kept his motor running til the end of the play. I didnt see him give up any.

ThaShark316
10-15-2006, 08:00 PM

next time.

Lets hope not...Lynch and Irons > Peterson. :)

Texan Ned
10-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Mario did a good job today. He disrupted plays, pressured the QB, and drew double-teams. A DE doesn’t need to get a sack every game to make a difference.

However, the team seriously needs more at LB and DB. The team is getting butchered on Def.

Mario did get handled by a tight end more than once in the second half, but then again, almost everyone got dominated in the second half.

Mr teX
10-15-2006, 08:09 PM
He was solid today, I think everyone pretty much has it correct in that he was good in the first half, gone in the 2nd. But he & Demeco need help. In Particular, on the DL , I don't think Payne is the answer in the middle, he's not pushing the pile so those other guys can "twist" effectively".

HJam72
10-15-2006, 08:22 PM
There will come a time when I will expect Mario to get a sack in most of the games I watch him play. This isn't it. What is he? 21? Nor do I expect him to play zone PASS coverage and make tackles 15 yds. downfield or chase down a RB on the other side of the field, but he does it anyway. He's not a fast DL--he's a GIGANTIC LB with arms like plastic-man.

New Orleans isn't 5-1 because of Bush and Houston isn't 5-1 with him, neither is it Mario's fault that we can't run block. I don't know why in the world we can't run block. We've done it in the past and now we have Kubiak, Sherman, Flanagan, and players in their right spots on the line. However, it's the run blocking that sucks really bad right now and that's gotta change.

feebleminded
10-15-2006, 09:25 PM
He was solid today, I think everyone pretty much has it correct in that he was good in the first half, gone in the 2nd. But he & Demeco need help. In Particular, on the DL , I don't think Payne is the answer in the middle, he's not pushing the pile so those other guys can "twist" effectively".

Well it looks like we are going to get a look at someone else with Payne perhaps out for the rest of the year.

kbourda
10-15-2006, 11:14 PM
Yeah I will say it. If the Saints drafted Mario they would have been 5-1. The saints have been winnign becuase Deuce is healthy(injured last season), have a real QB in Brees(Aaron is a joke), and have been joined by WR surprise in Marques Colston. What has reggie really done for the Saints? Not a whole lot. Through 5 games, Reggie has had 170 yds rushing(34YPG average) and 250 yds receiving (50 YPG receiving) and 1 td(on a punt return). Colston has had MUCH MUCH more to do with the turnaround of the Saints then Reggie thus far.

This is my first post in about two weeks but here it goes...... First of all, i'm no Bush fan but his presence on the Saints offense is very apparent. To say he hasn't done anything for their offense would be like saying Mario isn't doing anything by not recording a sack. Bush is a decoy and is being used as such right now. But I do agree with you about Brees. And i'll go on record as saying I was impressed with the effort Mario gave today.

LBC_Justin
10-15-2006, 11:23 PM
Ten words and they have nothing to do with Mario Williams and everything to do with why the Texans lost.

- Red Zone Turnovers
- 19 yards rushing from our running backs

mario had a good game.

The Pencil Neck
10-15-2006, 11:24 PM
I didn't get to see the game today. How did Mario look? I saw his stat line was a little more impressive than usual but what else besides that did he do?

I was at the game today. It's the first game I've been to in a long time so I might not be used to seeing what I was seeing but...

Mario looked pretty good to me. I think he's going to be really, really good. Right now, it's almost like he thinks when he should be acting and he acts when he should be thinking. :) I'm sure he'll get that turned around.

LBC_Justin
10-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Mario made an impact in the first half but like the rest of the Texans, were MIA in the 2nd half. Embarassing team effort in the 2nd half highlighted err lowlighted by the play of the anemic secondary...Robinson, Sanders, and PBurnt are laughable. Bledsoe could have had 6 TDs today if he would have been on his game, which he was not.

In closing, Mario is a work in progress and the early returns have been somewhat lacking especially considering Bush has 'helped' turn a 2-14 team into a 5-1 team. Troll me if you want, but Mario's play will always be linked with Bush. Can anyone tell me with a straight face that the Saints would be 5-1 if they drafted Mario instead of Bush? Isn't winning whats all about. Measurables and stopwatches are for strippers and track stars. I feel Bush would have impacted our team more THIS year and I am sick of projects and 5 year plans.....win today worry about tomorrow later..

doug ftw
With 100% certainty.

I posted this last week and it is even more true today with Bush coming off a game with a 2.3 ypc and Deuce averaging 5.3 behind the exact same O-line. Put it this way. If Reggie Bush wasn't Reggie Bush, he would have been benched as a running back much like Lundy. All this has shown is that the Texans have a TON OF FREAKING HOLES, more holes than can be filled in a draft or even two and have a long ways to go.

------------------------------------
I applaud the Saints for the season they are having. But let's be honest. Reggie Bush is not the reason for the big turn around.

1. Signed a probowl QB
2. They had a lot of issues last year because of Katrina that made them have a record a lot worse than the actual talent level on the team.
3. Defense has improved drastically.
4. Deuce is now healthy...and is running the ball well.
5. Joe Horn and the best rookie on the Saints....Colston is playing awesome..he is the real star Rookie on the Saints.

Reggie Bush has one of the worst "yards per carry" in the entire NFL. Deuce McAllister has one of the best "yards per carry" in the entire NFL. They run behind the same O-line.

again, I am not a Reggie Bush hater. I followed his career all through college. I live in SoCal. But I can't stand the whole "Once in a life time player" tag he was given and the heat the Texans took over the pick. I know that barring injury Reggie Bush will have a solid NFL career. I have no doubt.

thunderkyss
10-16-2006, 12:01 AM

next time.

For the love of God....... in the second half, they had scoring drives of 23 yards, 40 yards, and 28 yards....... & you blame Mario??

Sheesh.....

thunderkyss
10-16-2006, 12:07 AM
Did anyone see Demarcus Ware?? or Marcus Spears??

this was supposed to be a tough, highly ranked defense we faced, and none of the guys we drool over did anything.

They had no sacks...... none, nada zip..... zero. I bet David wasn't hurried more than 5 times, and hit less than 3.

& you can call Demarcus Ware a Lb if you want, but Mario was dropped into coverage more than he was.

thunderkyss
10-16-2006, 12:11 AM
This is my first post in about two weeks but here it goes...... First of all, i'm no Bush fan but his presence on the Saints offense is very apparent. To say he hasn't done anything for their offense would be like saying Mario isn't doing anything by not recording a sack. Bush is a decoy and is being used as such right now. But I do agree with you about Brees. And i'll go on record as saying I was impressed with the effort Mario gave today.

Being used as a Decoy??

are you serious?? they are putting the ball in his hands, and all that stuff you saw on the highlight films are not happening. I counted 3 third & shorts(& I didn't watch the whole game) that he wasn't even on the field. Why wouldn't you have your decoy on the field in third & short situations??

Reggie Bush is, and has been a non-factor for the newOrleans saints.

they use JoeHorn as a Decoy, and Duece McAllister as a decoy. but when they put the ball in there hands, they do something with it to warrant beeing used as a decoy.

run-david-run
10-16-2006, 12:26 AM
Being used as a Decoy??

are you serious?? they are putting the ball in his hands, and all that stuff you saw on the highlight films are not happening. I counted 3 third & shorts(& I didn't watch the whole game) that he wasn't even on the field. Why wouldn't you have your decoy on the field in third & short situations??

they use JoeHorn as a Decoy, and Duece McAllister as a decoy. but when they put the ball in there hands, they do something with it to warrant beeing used as a decoy.

Yeah, you need to do more then average 3 yards a carry and 7 a catch to be worthy of "decoy" status.

Scooter
10-16-2006, 12:39 AM

whew ... time out. admittedly i'm a homer, but payne the best DT we've got, especially when it comes to "pushing the pile". replay barber's touchdown, payne is the only texan that ended up in the backfield. payne commands double teams and that's why he got the holding penalty ... both the LG and C made it their mission to tackle payne. seriously, payne is the only real run stuffer on the texans, and with his reported injury, we might not have one at all. johnson & johnson combined dont generate the push that payne does.

TexanFanInCC
10-16-2006, 01:22 AM
i thought mario looked good. provided good pressure, got his hands up to try and block some passes, and was very good in run support.

dalemurphy
10-16-2006, 02:50 AM

Well, we're in luck. Kailee Wong and Petey Faggins will be back next week. It's going to make a huge difference. Wong is a vastly superior SLB than Orr, who is playing out of position (though he played okay today)... and Petey, while certainly not a great CB, improves our secondary a great deal- particularly in nickel ( did you watch McCLeon today? yuck!).

Actually, with Wong back, Petey back, and Buchanan healthy- this defense can make some serious strides. And, if Mario continues to improve, getting Peek back next week will add some domension to our pass rush. I think it's very plausible that our defense will be pretty good over the last half of the season.

run-david-run
10-16-2006, 02:52 AM
We've peaced together some good defensive series, we just need consitency, some playmaking (sacks, picks) and a running game to help out. Some see 34 points, I see progress

Texan Ned
10-16-2006, 06:26 AM
Being used as a Decoy??

Going into yesterday's games, Bush was leading the NFL in receptions. I would say that he is having an influence on how teams game plan for the Saints.

Kaiser Toro
10-16-2006, 06:44 AM
Going into yesterday's games, Bush was leading the NFL in receptions. I would say that he is having an influence on how teams game plan for the Saints.

Just for perspective sake, Carr was the highest rated passer. That and 200k will get you a new plastic face in Dallas.

TheOgre
10-16-2006, 07:34 AM
Ten words and they have nothing to do with Mario Williams and everything to do with why the Texans lost.

- Red Zone Turnovers
- 19 yards rushing from our running backs

mario had a good game.

Concise and hits on the main points.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
10-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Concise and hits on the main points.

I agree.

real
10-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Being used as a Decoy??

Reggie is an important part of what the Saints do offensively....

Vinny
10-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Reggie is an important part of what the Saints do offensively....

anyone who can't see this isn't paying attention. You don't lead the league in receptions by not being an important part of the team's gameplan.

Mr teX
10-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Being used as a Decoy??

Yeah i was going in between both games, & I recall seeing bush on the field like 2 or 3 times on the last drive of the game. 1 he rushed OUTSIDE on 3rd and long to try an pick up the first, which he didn't get, the 2nd time i recall him on the field just to get time off the clock inside the redzone; they let him rush the ball up the middle. I'm sure he was on the field at least 1-2 other times outside of those 2 i just named, but if the guy is that much of threat like some off these people claim he would have been on the field more for an 8 min drive.

Mr teX
10-16-2006, 09:13 AM
whew ... time out. admittedly i'm a homer, but payne the best DT we've got, especially when it comes to "pushing the pile". replay barber's touchdown, payne is the only texan that ended up in the backfield. payne commands double teams and that's why he got the holding penalty ... both the LG and C made it their mission to tackle payne. seriously, payne is the only real run stuffer on the texans, and with his reported injury, we might not have one at all. johnson & johnson combined dont generate the push that payne does.

Maybe he is, I admittely am not looking at him close, but when i see good defensive lines in the league they all have 1 big wide guy in the middle wreaking havoc (Tommie Harris; CHi,Washington with SD etc), so much that teams can't run up the middle b/c they're driving the double team back into the play as it develops. Going off this alone, I am basing my opinion & i don't see this from Payne or whoever is in at that position. Payne might have (gotta speak in past tense :crying: ) been holding his own in there but he definitely wasn't wreaking havoc.

thunderkyss
10-16-2006, 09:36 AM

Yeah, ok. YOu go with that. I'm going to quote myself from another thread. This is how you make an impact as a rookie:
Bad thing is that Mario had a great game today.

Dallas' first play from scrimmage was a 10 yard run away from Mario. Babin grabs JJs belt, and goes for a ride.

Dallas' second snap of their first possession. Mario is tripple teamed by Crayton, Witten, and Flozelle Adams. At the snap, JJ takes the ball to run off tackle, towards Mario. But Mario is already moving all three offensive players into JJs lane, so JJ stretches it to the sideline. Sanders is playing contain on the sideline, and CC is behind him, waiting for JJ to come around the corner. Mario splits what is left of the double team, and is free, when JJ makes a great cut behind Flozelle, and Mario is out of the play because JJ went behind Flo. CC gets behind Flo as well, and drops JJ for no gain.

That was one of those awesome plays, showing Mario's speed, power, and influence on a play, that doesn't get mentioned.

None of this subjective decoy talk. Three men on one, and he still beats them, and influences the play in our favor.

When the first guy to lay a finger on ReggieBush is the only guy needed to tackle him, you can't tell me he is being used as a decoy.

When you get the matchup everybody's been waiting for since his sophomore year, 1 LB in coverage with RB as a WR, and that one LB makes the play, you can't tell me he is being used as a decoy.

When nobody puts an extra DB in the game, because Reggie is lined up in the backfield, you can't tell me that he is influencing the game any more than any other RB.

kbourda
10-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Yeah, ok. YOu go with that. I'm going to quote myself from another thread. This is how you make an impact as a rookie:

None of this subjective decoy talk. Three men on one, and he still beats them, and influences the play in our favor.

When the first guy to lay a finger on ReggieBush is the only guy needed to tackle him, you can't tell me he is being used as a decoy.

When you get the matchup everybody's been waiting for since his sophomore year, 1 LB in coverage with RB as a WR, and that one LB makes the play, you can't tell me he is being used as a decoy.

When nobody puts an extra DB in the game, because Reggie is lined up in the backfield, you can't tell me that he is influencing the game any more than any other RB.

Kyss, will you do me a favor? Take off the MW glasses and actually look at the Saints on offense. When Bush is in the game look at the pursuit by the opposing team and look at how much attention is being paid to Bush while he is in the game. Yeah he may average just a yard a carry but if only two people pay him any attention somebody is open. Kinda like how MW's impact can't be measured by sacks alone, correct?

Texas
10-16-2006, 01:17 PM
Why be so critical on Mario? Oh i forgot hes god?

noxiousdog
10-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Kyss, will you do me a favor? Take off the MW glasses and actually look at the Saints on offense. When Bush is in the game look at the pursuit by the opposing team and look at how much attention is being paid to Bush while he is in the game. Yeah he may average just a yard a carry but if only two people pay him any attention somebody is open. Kinda like how MW's impact can't be measured by sacks alone, correct?

Why would anyone double a slot receiver or a fullback?

thunderkyss
10-16-2006, 02:23 PM

That's the point. I am watching, and I'm not seeing anything being done special for ReggieBush. Not once, do I see another team getting burned by the bush end of the equation.

If what you say is true, and teams are "keying on Reggie", then Colston goes off and have a big game, making them look stupid, or Duece would rip off a huge run, making them look inept....... you'd think sooner or later(darn sure by now) they'd key on the other guy, and Reggie would burn them. But they haven't.

In Philly, someone new is THE guy every week. they shut down ReggieBrown, Stallworth goes off. They shut down stallworth, HankBaskette has a good day. they shut down hankBaskett, Westbrook has a good day, shut him down, Buckhalter has a good day.

But for some reason, the only one getting shutout in N.O. is ReggieBush, and JoeHorn, MarquesColston, & DueceMcAllister are always having big games, week in & week out.

kbourda
10-16-2006, 04:50 PM
That's the point. I am watching, and I'm not seeing anything being done special for ReggieBush. Not once, do I see another team getting burned by the bush end of the equation.

If what you say is true, and teams are "keying on Reggie", then Colston goes off and have a big game, making them look stupid, or Duece would rip off a huge run, making them look inept....... you'd think sooner or later(darn sure by now) they'd key on the other guy, and Reggie would burn them. But they haven't.

In Philly, someone new is THE guy every week. they shut down ReggieBrown, Stallworth goes off. They shut down stallworth, HankBaskette has a good day. they shut down hankBaskett, Westbrook has a good day, shut him down, Buckhalter has a good day.

But for some reason, the only one getting shutout in N.O. is ReggieBush, and JoeHorn, MarquesColston, & DueceMcAllister are always having big games, week in & week out.

See but my point is as long as he creates an ounce of attention while he is on the field the Saints have that side of the battle won. Yeah, shut down Bush but the Saints are 5-1. Can it be attributed to Bush's mere presence? I don't know. But I do see teams (more than one) paying him a great deal of attention when he is in the game. It's about the team, remember. The heck with what RB does.

kbourda
10-16-2006, 04:54 PM
Why would anyone double a slot receiver or a fullback?

I have no idea but you might want to e-mail the Browns, Eagles, Bucs, Falcons, and the Pack why they did.

thunderkyss
10-16-2006, 06:18 PM
See but my point is as long as he creates an ounce of attention while he is on the field the Saints have that side of the battle won. Yeah, shut down Bush but the Saints are 5-1. Can it be attributed to Bush's mere presence? I don't know. But I do see teams (more than one) paying him a great deal of attention when he is in the game. It's about the team, remember. The heck with what RB does.

That's bull..... a figment of the media's imagination.

You mean to tell me that teams aren't trying to shutdown DueceMcAllister??

Anyway...... let's get off this RB thing, it's stupid. As he has done nothing to make anyone honestly think he would help this team.

Let's get on management, especially that Kubiak guy for passing on Lawrence Moroney. We should have traded down with NewEngland, our #1 overall, for their #1, Their #2 this year, their #6 this year, and next year's number 2. But nooooooo he has to be all uppity, and arrogant and pick a defensive end, when he could have got one of those in the seventh round.

Wolf
10-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Back to Brees
Drew Brees gives the New Orleans Saints what they haven't had at quarterback: a guy who's going to make good decisions on a weekly basis. Unlike Aaron Brooks, Brees has the ability to consistently pull out close games. We saw evidence of that against the Eagles with those two fourth-quarter drives.

With Brees, the Saints now have a guy capable of minimizing bad plays. If the coaching staff calls a play that turns out to be bad against a particular defense, Brees knows to get rid of the ball instead of holding onto it too long for a sack or forcing a bad throw that leads to an interception

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AiOAUi4dS3HzJkBP90oXQd5DubYF?slug=cc-sixpoints101606&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Drew Brees is making the Saints better .. and Duece is running the ball really good.. they would be just fine right now without Bush.

take the RB glasses off.. he is doing just fine, but he isn't the one making the Saints go.. BTW he was on the sideline late in the game yesterday too.

Vinny
10-16-2006, 06:58 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AiOAUi4dS3HzJkBP90oXQd5DubYF?slug=cc-sixpoints101606&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Drew Brees is making the Saints better .. and Duece is running the ball really good.. they would be just fine right now without Bush.

take the RB glasses off.. he is doing just fine, but he isn't the one making the Saints go.. BTW he was on the sideline late in the game yesterday too.
Take your Bush blinders off as well. He leads the league in receptions for a back as a Rookie. He is a huge part of that offense....most rookies don't lead the league in anything but mistakes generally...well, unless you are Earl Campbell.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/NFL/RB-RECEIVING/2006/regular

HJam72
10-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Didn't DD come close to leading the league in receptions his rookie year, or am I just exagerrating that in my head?

Wolf
10-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Take your Bush blinders off as well. He leads the league in receptions for a back as a Rookie. He is a huge part of that offense....most rookies don't lead the league in anything but mistakes generally...well, unless you are Earl Campbell.

:ok:

marquis colston is 11th in league in reception yards (rookie)
Horn is 18th

hmm so saints would be where they were without brees?
Duece is averaging almost 5.0 yards a carry

Vinny
10-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Great players make other players around them better...that is the theory you know.

thunderkyss
10-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Great players make other players around them better...that is the theory you know.

Yeah, Brees, Duece, Horn, & Colston are making Reggie look adequate.

Wolf
10-16-2006, 07:07 PM
wow vinny he is great out of 5 games .. lets reserve tickets to HOF

Wolf
10-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Great players average 3.0 yards a carry.. :ok:

wonder if this guy is going to HOF?
http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?id=638

his numbers are better than a "great" player

BTW I DO think Bush is going to be a good player in the league.

Wolf
10-16-2006, 07:12 PM
I just feel that Brees is what the Saints needed

dtran04
10-16-2006, 07:13 PM
Colston is the ROY right now.

Doug
10-16-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm curious as to what the big deal is about him leading the league in receptions, other than showing he plays a part in the offense. With the rest of his stats, that tells me he's getting tons of opportunities to make something happen and not much to show for it.

I just realized something.....this will be the only post I'll place in this thread because I feel it's a good question but I did not realize I was posting about RB in a Mario thread.

Mr teX
10-16-2006, 07:19 PM

Debateable at best. So he leads in receptions, all that says is that he can catch the ball & nothing more. DD did that all last year & he wasn't getting half the run this guy is getting.

nunusguy
10-16-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm curious as to what the big deal is about him leading the league in receptions
I agree. To me, this is like rushing attempts which is pretty meaningless of
and by itself. Especially if the average yards per rush is like 2.4 yards or something. And I think with Bush, his average yards per reception is also very anemic. But with Bush, it could indicate something more meaningful, which is he's just been so unproductive and unsuccessful as a running back, they can't think of any other way to use him

Vinny
10-16-2006, 07:26 PM
wow vinny he is great out of 5 games .. lets reserve tickets to HOF I never mentioned the HOF you did that....I think minimizing Bush and his impact just make us look like we don't know much about football. I don't think he can run between the tackles but he is a weapon in that offense. To deny it is just a show of ignorance imo.

Wolf
10-16-2006, 07:30 PM
I never mentioned the HOF you did that....I think minimizing Bush and his impact just make us look like we don't know much about football. I don't think he can run between the tackles but he is a weapon in that offense. To deny it is just a show of ignorance imo.

well Great players go to the HOF you know

I don't deny Bush isn't talented, but people on this board have watched alot of ESPN.. Bush has stats like Eric Metcalf

Vinny
10-16-2006, 07:32 PM
Only in your head....I never said that and stating that someone has played great doesn't equate to the HOF....unless you are voices in Wolfs mind....I guess.

Wolf
10-16-2006, 07:34 PM
Only in your head....I never said that and stating that someone has played great doesn't equate to the HOF....unless you are voices in Wolfs mind....I guess.

I never said that you said HOF..

But that is where great players go ;)

hey I was just quoting you

Vinny
10-16-2006, 07:41 PM
no, you were putting words in my mouth....that's not a quote.

ASTRODOME2002
10-16-2006, 07:42 PM
I never mentioned the HOF you did that....I think minimizing Bush and his impact just make us look like we don't know much about football. I don't think he can run between the tackles but he is a weapon in that offense. To deny it is just a show of ignorance imo.

I agree. Reggie bush is a weapon. Unfortunately, he's a sling-shot playing in a field of tanks. Bush has been all hype so far, nothing more. His stats aren't impressing anybody right now. A few more weeks like this and he'll just be another average player in the NFL.

LBC_Justin
10-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Vinny.....Let's be honest here...saying Reggie Bush is the fourth most important piece on that offense is being generous. (probably be discounting some great players on that O-line).

1. Brees
2. McAllister
3. Colston
4. Bush

Looking at it from a straight production stand point...Bush has had the most opportunities and been the least productive when given those opportunites. To deny this is just a show of ignorance imo.

ps - I think to most people Bush has to deliver as hyped...which is..."Best Player of our LIFE TIMES!" a "Once every 40 years type player."....he is none of those.

Wolf
10-16-2006, 07:48 PM
no, you were putting words in my mouth....that's not a quote.

reread my posts

Vinny, I never said you said HOF and I even posted that you didn't say it..

Vinny
10-16-2006, 07:52 PM
I can read and I never mentioned the HOF. Just don't put words in my mouth please...that gets on my nerves more than most anything. Sorry.....yeah, I'm dysfunctional at times.

thunderkyss
10-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Debateable at best. So he leads in receptions, all that says is that he can catch the ball & nothing more. DD did that all last year & he wasn't getting half the run this guy is getting.

I am not a ReggieLover, and I'm a bigtime DD booster. But DD as a rookie, starting 10 games & only had 47 receptions, 15 for first downs. Reggie in only 5 games as a "Decoy" has already got 38 catches, for 14 first downs.

First downs keeps your offense on the field, and their offense on the sideline.

I don't doubt Reggie plays a role in that offense, but all this Decoy talk is silly. He's no more a "decoy" than Warrick Dunn. & he doesn't impact the game like a Warrick Dunn.

Had he gone to Atlanta, Washington, Denver, or Greenbay, he would have made a much bigger impact than he has backing up a power runner like Duece.

Sure, they were able to do it at USC, but in College, a player like Adrian Peterson, LadanianTomlinson, KeyshawnJohnson, or MichaelVick is usually much better than every other athlete on the field. At USC, he was third, maybe forth & the other players better than him were usually on his team.

TampaBay was able to do it somewhat, but the TampaBay power game wasn't anything like the N.O. game.

infantrycak
10-16-2006, 10:03 PM
I am not a ReggieLover, and I'm a bigtime DD booster. But DD as a rookie, starting 10 games & only had 47 receptions, 15 for first downs. Reggie in only 5 games as a "Decoy" has already got 38 catches, for 14 first downs.

Well that's nice but DD had 47 1st downs rushing the ball as well because he could actually function as a RB. No doubt RB is playing a role in the Saints success--the question is whether he is playing a role commensurate with his compensation. The other thing is he was supposed to be the big play guy. So far he has been the small play guy and doesn't have a single run over 20 yds.

I find it pretty funny how folks are ignorant if they don't recognize the greatness of Reggie Bush catching a bunch of 7 yd passes but when DD was catching 7 and 8 yd passes he was the downfall of the Texans offense.

Hottoddie
10-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Reggie Bush? Who's that? I know he doesn't play for the Texans. :shrug:

I thought this thread was about Mario. I know he plays for the Texans.

phan1
10-17-2006, 12:07 AM
Colston is the ROY right now.

Wow, can you believe that thought didn't even cross my freakin mind? But yeah, he's definitely the frontrunner.

HJam72
10-17-2006, 03:49 AM
Hall of Fame :hides:

thunderkyss
10-17-2006, 07:22 AM
Well that's nice but DD had 47 1st downs rushing the ball as well because he could actually function as a RB. No doubt RB is playing a role in the Saints success--the question is whether he is playing a role commensurate with his compensation. The other thing is he was supposed to be the big play guy. So far he has been the small play guy and doesn't have a single run over 20 yds.

I find it pretty funny how folks are ignorant if they don't recognize the greatness of Reggie Bush catching a bunch of 7 yd passes but when DD was catching 7 and 8 yd passes he was the downfall of the Texans offense.

I don't know if you're putting words in my mouth.. I never wanted Reggie on this team. & I would have played the DD situation just like Kubiak did...... far as I'm concerned, DD is the man.

Someone asked what's the big deal of Reggie leading the league in receptions. I'm just replying that he is making plays, makings first downs, and keeping his team on the field.

I don't believe Reggie is great, or has done anything great. but leading the league in receptions is an accomplishment that shouldn't be minimized. He is helping his team. Kinda like a QB with a 72% even though they've only won one game.

Mr teX
10-17-2006, 08:59 AM

Don't forget the 1031 yds rushing, 4.3 ypc.......................between the tackles at that.

texansfaninca8892
10-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Mario had a good game today. He was disruptive and influenced plays even when he did not make the tackle.
He did look good, but there were times I saw him in his stance while the rest of the line was moving on the snap, and he got run over by the Dallas O-line.

Tayton
10-17-2006, 11:40 AM
If we drafted Reggie Bush and he led the league in number of receptions and had as little rushing yards as he has, everyone would be saying that we should have drafted Vince Young.

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-17-2006, 11:41 AM
If Mario had better players around him...he'd be doing better

thunderkyss
10-17-2006, 11:51 AM
If we drafted Reggie Bush and he led the league in number of receptions and had as little rushing yards as he has, everyone would be saying that we should have drafted Vince Young.

A lot of us are saying that anyway.

If Mario had better players around him...he'd be doing better

Ain't that the truth.

Mr teX
10-17-2006, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=Titan "Tack" Fan;471840]If Mario had better players around him...he'd be doing better[/QUOTE

:lightbulb: As simplistic as that was, It holds more weight than anything that has been said in this thread thus far.

Battle Red Flash
10-17-2006, 03:50 PM
How did Mario look?

Tall.