PDA

View Full Version : Chronic: Texans know 3-4, but not like this

Texans34Life
10-13-2006, 03:09 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4256102.html

With Marcus Spears, Jason Ferguson and Chris Canty manning the front, and linebackers Greg Ellis, DeMarcus Ware, Akin Ayodele and Bradie James on the second level, the Cowboys' front seven is daunting.

"They have some big, talented players out there, and they create mismatches for your backs and even for your tackles," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. "(Cowboys coach Bill Parcells) built a heck of a crew over there. And their back end, starting with the safety (Roy Williams) and the corner (Terence Newman), they're as good as there is in this business."

The Cowboys, who often play Williams near the line of scrimmage to bolster their run defense, make stopping the run their top priority.

"You always have to look for (Williams) because he's like another linebacker on the field," Wiegert said. "Usually they'll play seven guys and then if you start hurting them on the run, they'll bring him up to shut the run down."

It figures to be a task unlike any the Texans have faced this season. Only four teams have allowed fewer rushing yards per game than the Cowboys.

Texans center Mike Flanagan said: "They're lining up, saying, 'You can't beat us. We're not disguising anything. We're going to be right here. If you're going to beat us, you're going to have to physically dominate us, man-on-man.' "

Dallas' defense is not without flaws. After watching the Cowboys allow an 87-yard touchdown pass and a 40-yard flea flicker in last week's loss at Philadelphia, the Texans are hoping there are plays to be made against the Cowboys.

"You go through the course of a season and you're going to get beat," quarterback David Carr said. "That stuff happens, but good teams respond to that. And I have no reason to doubt they won't bounce back from that. So we're going to have to play a pretty solid game."

run-david-run
10-13-2006, 11:12 AM
A task unlike anything we have faced? Umm, I would take the Philly D over Dallas in a heartbeat...

texflex513
10-13-2006, 11:28 AM
A task unlike anything we have faced? Umm, I would take the Philly D over Dallas in a heartbeat...

I AGREE!

GP
10-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if we ran a fake flea-flicker? Call it a "Play Action Run."

Have a RB fake the toss back to Carr, Carr fakes like he is catching the ball and the WRs are racing down the field the whole time...the D line keeps pursuing Carr and the LBs are frozen in place or try to run downfield...and then the RB scampers for a big gain.

THAT would be humiliating! The TV announcers would go bonkers. The fans would be shocked. The Cowboys defense would be disgusted.

To me, that's the sort of stuff that turns a game: Making the other team over-think and just generally get them confused as to what's going to happen on each play afterwards.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
10-13-2006, 12:28 PM
A flea-flicker like this??-- http://youtube.com/watch?v=qObFvPmRlvs

nunusguy
10-13-2006, 12:42 PM
What's ironical is that Kubiak, while trying to staff a 4-3, has accidently accumulated very possibly the best 3-4 personnel the Texans have ever had.
In other words, he's accomplished this year, his rookie year as a HC, what 3-4gurus Capers and Fangio couldn't do in 4 years. Go figure !

Charter PSL Fan
10-13-2006, 12:54 PM
No, one like this.
www.youtube.com/v/FdqmWqkyJsw

run-david-run
10-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Umm, no. How about you read the whole thing instead of shoving Dallas Cowboys highlights down our throats.