PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys' Five Most Humiliating Losses

grinch1134
10-11-2006, 09:13 AM
I'm a Texan trapped in Cowgirls country. This article was in the Star Telegram this morning. http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/15730698.htm

The Texans game was number one and these cowgirls fans act like this game means nothing?

1. Expansion surprise

Houston 19, Cowboys 10

Sept. 8, 2002

The Texans become the first NFL team in 41 years to win their expansion debut. The game is tied 10-10 in the fourth quarter at Reliant Stadium before rookie quarterback David Carr hits Corey Bradford on a 65-yard touchdown pass. Later, Quincy Carter was sacked in the end zone for a safety, above. Said Texans defensive end Gary Walker: "We ruined their season."

Bamaborn-Texasbred
10-11-2006, 09:18 AM
If they lose this Sunday, it will definitely rank somewhere in that top five. They are going to have to do something really dumb to lose to the Texans.

I'm not trying to anger anyone on the board here. I love the Texans. That is just my honest opinion.

Texans_Chick
10-11-2006, 09:23 AM
If they lose this Sunday, it will definitely rank somewhere in that top five. They are going to have to do something really dumb to lose to the Texans.

I'm not trying to anger anyone on the board here. I love the Texans. That is just my honest opinion.

It would be less of an upset than the beating they received in 2002.

Sarg01
10-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Nah, it's in the bag. The Texans are 1-0 in the all important stat - repeat matches against teams who they beat in Week 1 of an NFL regular season.

And I just don't see how you can get any more relevant than that.

Hervoyel
10-11-2006, 11:26 PM
That list has a glaring ommission. I'm trying to remember the year but one season the Bears tore the Cowboys up so badly it made the cover of Sports Illustrated. If I'm not mistaken (and I might very well be) the score was something like 44-0

It was a complete humiliation. I can't believe it didn't even make the list here.

Txn_in_FL
10-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Houston Texans
Houston Texans
Houston Texans Number One!

Hervoyel
10-11-2006, 11:28 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-111885bearsdallas,1,6944808.story?coll=cs-bears-navigation

There it is. I should have known it was 1985. The Bears did a lot of that in 1985.

Kaiser Toro
10-11-2006, 11:36 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-111885bearsdallas,1,6944808.story?coll=cs-bears-navigation

There it is. I should have known it was 1985. The Bears did a lot of that in 1985.

I remember walking into the store on my way to school and seeing that the Sports Illustrated cover, 44-0. That game and that magazine still are stained on my brain.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
10-11-2006, 11:53 PM
This article hits right on of the most painful memories of the Cowboys history (at least in my viewing history.) All training camp, our team had been magnified by an ESPN reality show-- Dave Campo would make embarrasing attempts at Knute Rockne speeches. The once fine tranining camps of Tom Landry had been ridiculed by this seemingly stupid idea.

Then finally comes game one at Reliant, nationally on ESPN. The Cowboys were hoping this would finally be the year of an emergence of greatness-- La'Roi Glover had been signed, Roy Williams drafted-- there was no where to go up from here.. I watched David Carr strike 7 points, somewhat smiling, not realizing the implications this game would have for the Cowboys during the next four years. That smile I had on my face soon dissappeared in a state of shock in the fourth quarter, when it hit me after Quincy Carter had been sacked for a safety-- we're actually, really going to lose this game.

Txn_in_FL
10-11-2006, 11:59 PM
This article hits right on of the most painful memories of the Cowboys history (at least in my viewing history.) All training camp, our team had been magnified by an ESPN reality show-- Dave Campo would make failed attempts at Nute Rockne speeches. The once fine tranining camps of Tom Landry had been ridiculed by this embrassment. Then finally comes game one in Reliant, nationally on ESPN. The Cowboys hope this is the year finally for an emergence of greatness-- La'Roi Glover had been signed, Roy Williams drafted-- there was no where to go up from here. I watched David Carr strike 7 points, somewhat smiling, not realizing the implications this game would have for the Cowboys in the next four years. That smile I had on my face soon dissappeared in a state of shock in the fourth quarter, when it hit me after Quincy Carter had been sacked for a safety-- we're actually, really going to lose this game.

Ya know, it is almost midnight , don't fall asleep at your keyboard. You may want to hit the rack before it gets too late. As for Texas Stadium moments, I love how all 12 Cowboy fans were so pissed when TO spiked the ball on the star and now magically you are all fans. Sorry, but I have this thing in my system called integrity. If McNair hired the guy that took a poop on my teams symbol, I would have to tell the team to get bent until that guy left.

HowBoutThemCowboys!
10-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Ya know, it is almost midnight , don't fall asleep at your keyboard. You may want to hit the rack before it gets too late. As for Texas Stadium moments, I love how all 12 Cowboy fans were so pissed when TO spiked the ball on the star and now magically you are all fans. Sorry, but I have this thing in my system called integrity. If McNair hired the guy that took a poop on my teams symbol, I would have to tell the team to get bent until that guy left.

Forgive and forget, that's the true integrity. What Terrell did may seem irrational, but he was a younging trying to make a name for himself, we all do stupid things. In some aspects, I view his embracing of the Dallas Star as a compliment to what the Star truley depicts- a tradition of excellency.

run-david-run
10-12-2006, 12:11 AM
Umm...bull****... When someone mocks your symbol its not a compliment, trust me. The one good thing that came out of that, other then the Cowboys being rediculed, is TO getting knocked out. You two deserve each other

Txn_in_FL
10-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Forgive and forget, that's the true integrity. What Terrell did may seem irrational, but he was a younging trying to make a name for himself, we all do stupid things. In some aspects, I view his embracing of the Dallas Star as a compliment to what the Star truley depicts- a tradition of excellency.

Moonie-Moonie-Moonie

Have fun with that arranged marriage of yours.

:cool:

jgl35
10-12-2006, 07:47 AM

1985, 44-0 Chi at Dallas. 1986, 24-10 at Dallas. 68-10 Chi. in back to back games in Dallas.

Huge
10-12-2006, 08:06 AM
I'm a Texan trapped in Cowgirls country. This article was in the Star Telegram this morning. http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/15730698.htm

The Texans game was number one and these cowgirls fans act like this game means nothing?

1. Expansion surprise

Houston 19, Cowboys 10

Sept. 8, 2002

The Texans become the first NFL team in 41 years to win their expansion debut. The game is tied 10-10 in the fourth quarter at Reliant Stadium before rookie quarterback David Carr hits Corey Bradford on a 65-yard touchdown pass. Later, Quincy Carter was sacked in the end zone for a safety, above. Said Texans defensive end Gary Walker: "We ruined their season."
It meant that instead of going 6-10, we were 5-11. The idea that the loss put us in a tailspin in which we never recovered is foolish thinking.

If you need an example of how that loss would've meant something, think of Dallas as a playoff team that year and instead of losing to Houston in Week 1, we lose to Houston in Week 17 that seals our fate from making the playoffs. THEN the loss would've meant something.

Otherwise it's just an opinion from a writer of the Star-Telegram.

Texans_Chick
10-12-2006, 09:11 AM

My dear Anakin, I fear it is too late for you. You have embraced the dark side.

I discuss this some in my latest Texans FanHouse post: Link: Do the Dallas Cowboys Have the Most Obnoxious Fans in the NFL? (http://texans.aolsportsblog.com/2006/10/11/do-the-dallas-cowboys-have-the-most-obnoxious-fans-in-the-nfl/)

Stuff like talking about Terrell embracing the Dallas Star in the same sentence as tradition of excellency is a little vomity. You don't really believe that, do you?

Check out Keshawn stats, BTW.

TexansLucky13
10-12-2006, 10:13 AM

......that is wonderful

mexican_texan
10-12-2006, 10:15 AM
I can say I take the 2-14 season as a "tradition of excellence" and it would make more sense.

TheOgre
10-12-2006, 04:16 PM
That list has a glaring ommission. I'm trying to remember the year but one season the Bears tore the Cowboys up so badly it made the cover of Sports Illustrated. If I'm not mistaken (and I might very well be) the score was something like 44-0

It was a complete humiliation. I can't believe it didn't even make the list here.

I was thinking of that too. The home loss to the Bears in 1985. We are talking about two playoff teams that year. Granted that Bears team was one of the best SB teams of all time, but the Cowboys were a 10-6 team. Losing 44-0 at home is inexcussible for a playoff team.

StarStruck
10-12-2006, 09:35 PM
I think the Cowboys' most humiliating loss was how they lost all means of dignity when then new owner Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry and Landry found out about it through the media, instead of being brought in and told he would be let go as anyone that has coached a team that long should be.

I can agree that the change that needed to be made by the new owner could have been done in a more diplomatic way. But wasn't that during the time that that was the most chosen was to terminate employees? I recall folk being locked out of buildings here in houston, and taxis lined up to get them off the property. After seeing people with file boxes and potted plants on the 6:00 news, it made such an impact on me that from that point I only kept enough personal belongings in my office that I could put a purse or briefcase. If someone wanted to see my kids, then I took out my wallet.

Also, Bud Adams fired Bum Phillips in a similar manner even though he had a winning season.

Huge
10-13-2006, 05:03 PM
I think the Cowboys' most humiliating loss was how they lost all means of dignity when then new owner Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry and Landry found out about it through the media, instead of being brought in and told he would be let go as anyone that has coached a team that long should be.
You still haven't been made aware that that's a false story?

Here's what actually happened. (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spe/2004/feb25football/landry.html)
Tex Schramm's eyes filled with tears. Then his voice cracked and he cried. It was almost too much to comprehend: Tom Landry is no longer the only coach the Cowboys have ever had. Landry was fired Saturday by the Cowboys' new owner, Jerry Jones, who named University of Miami coach Jimmy Johnson to succeed him.

Schramm and Jones flew from Dallas to Landry's vacation home near Austin on Saturday afternoon and Jones broke the news to Landry that he was out. Then, at a news conference at Valley Ranch team headquarters that began shortly after 8 p.m., Schramm broke down.

CoachJim
10-14-2006, 08:39 AM

In a perverted way I gotta agree with cowgirl fan. I liken it to Charles Barkley coming to the Rockets. For most of my life I couldn't stand Charles Barkley mostly I suppose because of his "I am not a role model" commercial. I know it's not the same situation as "TO & the Star" but I just never agreed with CBs opinion & his general big-headedness UNTIL he became a Rocket ... Maybe that speaks to my lack of integrity but once he got here all that stuff went right out the window & he was one of my favorite Rockets. I'm more than positive that I wasn't the only Rocket fan whose opinion of him swayed once he put on those ugly-ass Rocket pinstripes.

Texan Asylum
10-14-2006, 08:59 AM
In a perverted way I gotta agree with cowgirl fan. I liken it to Charles Barkley coming to the Rockets. For most of my life I couldn't stand Charles Barkley mostly I suppose because of his "I am not a role model" commercial. I know it's not the same situation as "TO & the Star" but I just never agreed with CBs opinion & his general big-headedness UNTIL he became a Rocket ... Maybe that speaks to my lack of integrity but once he got here all that stuff went right out the window & he was one of my favorite Rockets. I'm more than positive that I wasn't the only Rocket fan whose opinion of him swayed once he put on those ugly-ass Rocket pinstripes.
Hmmm...one team's loudmouth is another team's cheerleader.:hmmm: