PDA

View Full Version : Chronic: Texans defense targets Dallas' Bledsoe

Texans34Life
10-11-2006, 03:07 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4250436.html

"This game is all about momentum," lineman Anthony Weaver said. "For us as a defense, we have to continue to get better. The thing that we did best (against the Dolphins) was get after the quarterback, and that's something that we need to have as a staple around here."

Which brings us to Sunday's opponent, the Dallas Cowboys, and their stationary-in-the-pocket quarterback, Drew Bledsoe.

Dallas is in the middle of the pack in sacks allowed per pass play (19th), but seven of the 10 sacks the Cowboys have surrendered this season came Sunday in a loss at Philadelphia. The Texans were watching.

"You can tell that Bledsoe doesn't like to move too much," said rush end Antwan Peek, who expects to return to action against the Cowboys after sitting out the past two games with a groin injury. "(The Eagles) were relentless. If you're relentless on defense, anything is possible. That's the way good defense is played."

Dallas coach Bill Parcells announced Monday the Cowboys would again start Bledsoe, who committed four turnovers against the Eagles. The Texans don't seem to mind.

"The reason you get excited when you play a guy like Drew Bledsoe a great quarterback, and you know if he gets time he's going to find somebody open is he's not very mobile," Weaver said. "For a defensive lineman, you lick your chops, pin your ears back and go after him, because you know he's not going to run away from you. Yeah, you get excited."

TexansSeminole
10-11-2006, 03:45 AM
Yea, this is a big week for our defense.

nunusguy
10-11-2006, 08:36 AM
McClain is saying in his most current audio that Mario will be moving to
the inside and Babin & Peek (coming back from injury), will be on the outside in passing downs against Bledsoe and the Arlington Cowboys. As we approach the midpoint of the season, just one more example of how the coachs rate Mario no better than our 3rd best edge rusher.

Txn_in_FL
10-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Wouldn't you want him in the middle to try to get the pocket to collapse and then flush out a QB that doesn't like to run?

TEXANRED
10-11-2006, 08:53 AM
the inside and Babin & Peek (coming back from injury), will be on the outside in passing downs against Bledsoe and the Arlington Cowboys. As we approach the midpoint of the season, just one more example of how the coachs rate Mario no better than our 3rd best edge rusher.

Maybe the D coach's feel there is a mismatch with Mario at tackle and speed rushers on the end. Jones appears to be more of a up the middle back so have Mario's big self would be an advantage.

I think its more of a reflection on the lack of talent at DT.

Runner
10-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Does the saying "Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic" come to mind?

Texans_Chick
10-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Maybe the D coach's feel there is a mismatch with Mario at tackle and speed rushers on the end. Jones appears to be more of a up the middle back so have Mario's big self would be an advantage.

Ding ding ding. Too many DE guys, not enough DTs.

Alfred Malone with the broken hand doesn't help.

Kubiak said prior to the Dolphins game that some of the best plays that Mario made were at the tackle position.

texan279
10-11-2006, 09:20 AM
All I know is that we should bring the house to pressure Bledsoe. I watched him in the Philly game and when he gets any kind of pressure he folds faster than a wet noodle. If we allow Bledsoe any amount of time back there, T.O., Glenn, Witten, and Crayton will rip our secondary to shreds.

nunusguy
10-11-2006, 10:18 AM
I dunno, but this sounds like one more rationalization for moving Mario inside
to make room for more capable edge rushers.
Just as Reggie Bush over in NOLA is not going to be a big-time running back
in this league but may succeed nicely at WR, Mario may eventually be more
productive and valuable to the team playing on the inside. Now if he ends
up being like, oh maybe Tommie Harris, that's not all bad.

thunderkyss
10-11-2006, 10:21 AM

So you put your 3rd best edge rusher on the edge for 1st & 2nd down, then you put your 1st best Edge rusher in on 3rd down??

If TJ would get in somebody's face, Mario will stay on the edge.

NEROtheZERO
10-11-2006, 10:28 AM
I think Kubiak kept Mario on the outside after the first game until he got his first sack to build confidence. Now that mario has done that he will move Mario to the inside on 3rd downs (as was the original plan) where Mario can utilize his size and strength to draw attention and leave the edge open for our quicker rushers. It's a double edged sword for the OLine. Double Mario and Peek or Babin have a straight shot, double Peek and Babin and Mario has a straight shot.

powerfuldragon
10-11-2006, 10:46 AM
If i see less than three people blitzing on the Texans first defensive play of the game, i'll be disappointed.

texflex513
10-11-2006, 11:04 AM

I view it as putting all your best options on the field at once. Which in turn raises the chances for a sack or a play disruption.

thunderkyss
10-11-2006, 11:43 AM
I view it as putting all your best options on the field at once. Which in turn raises the chances for a sack or a play disruption.

Which is why I'd put Peek at LB more often. Especially if the plan is to rush the QB.Mario & Babin as the DEs, Weaver & anybody else at Tackle, then Peek as a LB....

texflex513
10-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Which is why I'd put Peek at LB more often. Especially if the plan is to rush the QB.Mario & Babin as the DEs, Weaver & anybody else at Tackle, then Peek as a LB.... Sounds good peek should take orr's spot IMMEDIATELY!

jerek
10-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Sounds good peek should take orr's spot IMMEDIATELY!

I think that Peek plays DE rather than OLB because he was pretty lousy in coverage. I wouldn't mind seeing Peek come in at OLB occasionally to blitz though, but IMO Orr is the more complete LB.

thunderkyss
10-11-2006, 12:17 PM
I think that Peek plays DE rather than OLB because he was pretty lousy in coverage. I wouldn't mind seeing Peek come in at OLB occasionally to blitz though, but IMO Orr is the more complete LB.

I here ya............ but I think Orr's coverage abilities is part of the terrible LB play I blame most of our defensive woes on.

GP
10-11-2006, 12:30 PM
The only thing about blitzing the Boys: TO can be free to run right past our corners AND safety.

I just want to say this right now: TO could have a VERY big day against us. He's been held in check by other teams, and this game is at home for them, and he could really "go off" if we blitz and don't get to Bledsoe.

Our coaches need to get the offense and defense on the practice field this week and should be running the "AJ goes deep" play over and over so the d line can practice trying to get to Carr before he can square up and throw the ball--If they can pressure a mobile guy like Carr, then they can get to the Human Statue with ease.

This week's practices should obviously have the offense runnig its share of plays, but I think a smart move for the coaches would be to focus on blitzing and clawing and scraping to get to the QB on every blitzing play. Put flags on carr and let them try to get the flag before he can throw.

Do ANYTHING to pound it into the heads of the defense that this game can be won only if we do to Bledsoe what the Eagles did.

But if we have the same paltry effort of a pass rush that we had aainst Culpepper, then we're toast. The Boys' o line is not nearly as bad as the Dolphins o line. And that's what concerns me: TO could have a very very big day if we don't get to Bledsoe.

I'll also say this: This game's gonna' go one way or another. (1) Bledsoe beats the blitz and we get our rears handed to us BIG TIME with ESPN and NFL Network running "TO finally breaks loose vs. Texans" all week long until next Sunday, or (2) We get to Bledsoe and then TO blows his cool and goes OFF on anybody around him--It's the sort of meltdown that WILL happen if he cannot get the ball and get the big plays agianst OUR team in THEIR home.

thunderkyss
10-11-2006, 12:45 PM
The only thing about blitzing the Boys: TO can be free to run right past our corners AND safety.

I just want to say this right now: TO could have a VERY big day against us. He's been held in check by other teams, and this game is at home for them, and he could really "go off" if we blitz and don't get to Bledsoe.

Dallas isn't home to T.O. just yet. He still has a lot to prove.

Granted that we need to get pressure on Drew Bledsoe, but that doesn't necessarily mean we've got to blitze every down. The Jags beat them, only getting two sacks. Of course.

This week's practices should obviously have the offense runnig its share of plays, but I think a smart move for the coaches would be to focus on blitzing and clawing and scraping to get to the QB on every blitzing play. Put flags on carr and let them try to get the flag before he can throw.

IF we can find a LB to take away the quick slant, we can handle T.O. & the other recievers just fine.....

Do ANYTHING to pound it into the heads of the defense that this game can be won only if we do to Bledsoe what the Eagles did.

Screw the Eagles...

But if we have the same paltry effort of a pass rush that we had aainst Culpepper, then we're toast. The Boys' o line is not nearly as bad as the Dolphins o line.

& why do you think that?? because they didn't give up any sacks to Tennessee?? Philly sacked Bledsoe 7 times. they only got Carr 5 times. Washington got him once, Washington got David once. To me, that tells me their OL is on par with ours... & we know about our OLine don't we???

And that's what concerns me: TO could have a very very big day if we don't get to Bledsoe.

I'll also say this: This game's gonna' go one way or another. (1) Bledsoe beats the blitz and we get our rears handed to us BIG TIME with ESPN and NFL Network running "TO finally breaks loose vs. Texans" all week long until next Sunday, or (2) We get to Bledsoe and then TO blows his cool and goes OFF on anybody around him--It's the sort of meltdown that WILL happen if he cannot get the ball and get the big plays agianst OUR team in THEIR home.

Julius Jones is where we need to focus. Take that away from them, and Bledsoe goes into panick mode already. Add a little pressure, and it's over.

Please_Evolve
10-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Jim Johnson is one of ..if not the best defensive cordinator in the league. smith should actually take detailed notes from the Eagles game and see if he can at least come close to the schemes they ran last sunday.

We defiantely don't have the Defense Philly does but Ifwe can get some pressure on Bledsoe i think we have a fighting chance defensively. Offensively keep committed to the run enough to keep them off balance, a screen play or two could really help lay off the blitz packages some, Pat watkins showed himself as a liability last game AJ and Moulds can have a big game if The later half of the eagles receiving core did so well, Play action could work well in this game with the cowboys safeties as Roy williams loves to come up and help with the run, all and all i think the O wil lbe fine but the D really needs t oget pressure on Bledsoe and keep the middle of the field secure.

As for TO... I am still not worried about TO. TErry Glenn is a more pressing concern and IF we don't secure the middle of the field Witten is dangerous and there's a chance TO can come across on a slant and turn it int oa big play. I still don't get the feeling the other players on that roster think of TO that highly and ithink parcells is doing his best to keep the cancer that TO is away from the good core of players he has brought there DESPITE Jerry Jones best efforts.

The Eagles showed us the recipe fora W now the rest is left to see if we got the ingredients here to make it work. all me crazy but i think we got a decent shot at this one.

jerek
10-11-2006, 01:25 PM
I here ya............ but I think Orr's coverage abilities is part of the terrible LB play I blame most of our defensive woes on.

Part of it, sure ... our LBs are bad in coverage across the board. Orr isn't great in coverage but IMO Peek is worse. I wish Peek would see the field more and that we'd play Weaver at DT more, but I understand we're light against the run in that set.

D-Vizzl
10-11-2006, 01:52 PM
If you want to really get to bledsoe you have to disguise blitzes and bring it from either your will or sam, the Texans just don't do any of this. I am not a d-coordinator so I can't say what we should do but, I think we can bring a couple of corner blitzes and drop our horrible coverage LB's into coverage because believe me if you know the Texans D you know the opposition will run a bunch of slants up the middle and sideline curls. If we have CC back there biting on everything and audibleing his own coverage it will be a long day. Basically, we need to shut down the run and make Bledsoe beat us with his noodle arm, and statuesque pocket ability with the hopes that our d-backs will come up with some TO-turnovers.

If we blitz alot unsuccesfully Bledsoe easily goes for 400, if we don't blitz, Julius Jones and Marion Barber may have a big day, pick your poison.

GP
10-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Dallas isn't home to T.O. just yet. He still has a lot to prove.

Granted that we need to get pressure on Drew Bledsoe, but that doesn't necessarily mean we've got to blitze every down. The Jags beat them, only getting two sacks. Of course.

IF we can find a LB to take away the quick slant, we can handle T.O. & the other recievers just fine.....

Screw the Eagles...

& why do you think that?? because they didn't give up any sacks to Tennessee?? Philly sacked Bledsoe 7 times. they only got Carr 5 times. Washington got him once, Washington got David once. To me, that tells me their OL is on par with ours... & we know about our OLine don't we???

Julius Jones is where we need to focus. Take that away from them, and Bledsoe goes into panick mode already. Add a little pressure, and it's over.

If you want to delude yourself that we are on the same "level" as the Cowboys, then go ahead. The Jags-Cowboys game was a very close game to the end, not a run-away by the Jags. And I don't even think we're on the same level as the Jags to be honest with you. The Cowboys played two tough teams--Jags and Eagles--and had their chances to win those games. IMO, the difference was made by rattling Bledsoe.

The Cowboys are a better team than we are, as indicated by their record this year and their record in previous years. Wins and losses do not discriminate.

The Cowboys have been shredding opponents with the pass, especially to Glenn. And with TO getting more frustrated each weekend...it sets the stage for what I think could be a performance much like the Colts game a few weeks ago. If that Cowboys team is Vic Fangio'd by our defense like we were doing the first games of this season, then the Cowboys will be rolling easily. Period.

And about your comments about Julius Jones: Julius Jones is going to "get his" no matter what--He is pretty much gobbling up about 100 yards each game no matter what's happening around him, and then you have to worry about Barber who can also do some damage. We tried to focus on Portis and that got us where? It got us Brunell setting a record on us, that's where it got us.

No, the key to the game is to focus on Bledsoe from the very first snap just like we did against Culpepper: Two immobile QBs who have dangerous WRs...rattle the Qb early and you have all kinds of options the rest of the game. Sit back and play the "safe game" where the LBs try to read and react (Fangio style) and we're going to get burnt all day long.

Affecting the QB's confidence (especially his confidence in his o line) early on, especially with QBs who are not mobile, is IMO the best way to set the tone and not be on your heels all game long trying to catch up to the offense.

HOU-TEX
10-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Part of it, sure ... our LBs are bad in coverage across the board. Orr isn't great in coverage but IMO Peek is worse. I wish Peek would see the field more and that we'd play Weaver at DT more, but I understand we're light against the run in that set.

This is the reason why we need Wong back. I always thought he was pretty good in coverage. I think Ryans will eventually be a decent coverage guy because he's got the smarts to make the right reads. Orr needs to be replaced.

Peek serves one purpose and that's rushing the QB.

GP
10-11-2006, 03:06 PM
I have watched Bledsoe for a long time, here are the facts:

1. He has a great throwing motion and mechanics.

2. He exudes fairly good leadership and commands the huddle.

3. IF he is given time in the pocket, he CAN and often DOES shred opposing defenses.

Now it's time for the commentary:

1. I seem to always think this guy is on the brink of retirement. I seem to think that when I see him have a bad game, that it's all over with. It's done. Finished. The guy is washed up. And then.......he comes back and spanks an opponent and looks like a Pro Bowler again. Then, he has a bad game, then he has a good game, and so on and so forth. That's been HIS pattern if you ask me.

2. The times he has a BAD game is when he spends so much time fighting for his life that he makes terrible decisions. You often see him eating turf, laying there with his hands up and the Dom Capers' look on his face like "What's happening?" It's pretty obvious what's happening: Defenses are taking the CALCULATED risk (which seems to have been good odds for the defenses) and they are rendering him useless all game long.

3. The times he has a GOOD game is when teams try to focus on taking away the run or try to out-guess him with coverage schemes, etc. It doesn't work. He gets time in the pocket and he looks like Peyton Manning out there.

For all the "Human Statue" comments that are (sad enough) very true...you'd think more people would recognize the facts (stated above at the beginning of the post) and draw the conclusion that the best way to stop a Bledsoe-led team is to make sure the laundry crew at Texas Stadium has to throw Bledsoe's grass-and-dirt-stained jersey away by the end of the game and get him a new one because it's too soiled to be cleaned.

It should be its own stat line:

In games in which the laundry crew has to throw Bledsoe's jersey away because it's too stained to be worn again, Bledsoe is 2-90.

In games where Bledsoe (at the end of the game) looks like he had scoth-guarded his jersey, Bledsoe is 90-2.

Bottom line: Put him on his rear early and often, then sit back and watch him hurry his throws and make bad decisions even when he's getting only moderate pass rush against him.

We're not a good enough team to just slug it out with other teams right now. We have to help the guys at LB and in the D Backfield out right now, and I think the best way to do that is to run all kinds of blitz schemes at Bledsoe.

BringItOn
10-11-2006, 03:50 PM

That's one way to read it... Jim Johnson said that they got to Bledsoe use blitzes up the middle instead of on the edge. The coaches may have taken note of this and plan to use Mario there because they value his pass rushing ability.

TexansSeminole
10-11-2006, 03:57 PM

That it is.

Double Barrel
10-11-2006, 05:14 PM

So with Babin on the outside, we'll have three no. 1 draft picks and a high priced free agent on our line.

And if that doesn't put pressure on the QB, then something is beyond just wrong with this defensive line.

It'll be interesting to see what a couple of weeks of prep will do with this defense, though. I think putting consistent pressure on Bledsoe is definitely a key to winning this game, so we'll just have to wait and see if it happens.

phan1
10-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Robinson and Earl can keep TO in check IMO. But Terry Glenn against Sanders feels like a nightmare. Seriously, our secondary is no where near as good as the Eagle's. The blitz really needs to get there on time to help our secondary out. If we get stonewalled, it could be over in one play. Fortunately, that Oline is almost as bad as the Dolphins. Heck, that Oline might be worse than ours!

BlueThunder
10-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Wong is a nightmare inside and that is the best way to take Bledsoe out of his game.Bedsoe has had a terrible rating from 102.3 to 33.1 and thrown atleast 3 ints per game when pressured inside.In other words Bledsoe can't run a consistant offense outside the pocket.:stirpot:

tulexan
10-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Let's just hope that Thomas Johnson doesn't play much

real
10-11-2006, 06:46 PM
The blitz really needs to get there on time to help our secondary out.

I don't think we blitz much this weekend.....

painekiller
10-11-2006, 07:14 PM

No they are not. They are saying that Peek and Babin rush better than the DTs we have.

Sarg01
10-11-2006, 07:27 PM
At least Gurode shouldn't have to worry about getting another set of cleat marks on his head this week.

In all seriousness, though, might we not be moving Mario inside to line him against Kossier (LG) who was poor in Philly? Even better, this would put Peek against over-the-hill LT Flozell Adams, without any chance of Kossier being free to double up on Peek.

BuffSoldier
10-11-2006, 09:53 PM
I dunno, but this sounds like one more rationalization for moving Mario inside
to make room for more capable edge rushers.

No, the Texans are doing what any smart organization would do, they are taking advantage of their roster and top pick. Mario Williams is only a cupcake or two from 300 pounds and he has the strength of a DT with the agility an speed of a top edge rusher. This unheard of size/speed combination allows the Texans to move Mario into the middle on passing downs because NFL OG's are not used to facing the speed of a Mario Williams at least not from a guy his size. This allows us to put even speedy guys on the outside (Peek/Babin) as well as have speedy interior lineman (Williams/Weaver) Mario is still a good edge rusher who will become a great one, but why not take advantage of his versatility.

Imatexanfan
10-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Look........ with supa mario on the inside (wish we still had robaire) and payne along with him thats perfect. Shoot but now since ol' peek playin' this week alongside babin man thats gonna bring the pressure we all want on bledsoe.......and by the way dallas' line is not all up to par, they have a sorry line not like the one they had in 92-95 season so we'll see 'em put pressure on bledsoe.:ok:

thunderkyss
10-14-2006, 01:29 PM

I just rewatched the Dallas/Philly game.....

a lot of Darren Howards success, was because he was moved to the DT spot over Rivera...

He also did well against their tightend Jason Witten on the strong side.

Alot of what people are calling stunts, were actually twists, which I do think we should employ. I think we should stay away from actual stunts, unless they've been practicing their ass off.

South Texan
10-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Not seeing much on this thread about the running game consideration. Maybe they are thinking Mario can screw with their O-Line and stuff the run on 1'st and 2'nd downs, then move him outside on the 3'rd and longs. I am looking for a lot of East-West running from Jones trying to get around the edges. Just a thought.