PDA

View Full Version : Texans sign FB Vonta Leach

texan279
10-11-2006, 12:53 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=sports&id=4643990

The Houston Texans signed fullback Vonta Leach on Monday in the latest effort to jump-start their stalled running game.

Leach played the past two seasons in Green Bay before being released last month and spending 11 days with the Saints. He appeared in one game for the Packers this season and never played a game for the Saints.

Primarily a blocking fullback, Leach appeared in every game for the Packers last season with five starts and no carries.

Coach Gary Kubiak hopes the addition will help a running game that is averaging just 76 yards a game. Leach joins fellow fullback Jameel Cook in Houston.

mexican_texan
10-11-2006, 12:54 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=sports&id=4643990

The Houston Texans signed fullback Vonta Leach on Monday in the latest effort to jump-start their stalled running game.

Leach played the past two seasons in Green Bay before being released last month and spending 11 days with the Saints. He appeared in one game for the Packers this season and never played a game for the Saints.

Primarily a blocking fullback, Leach appeared in every game for the Packers last season with five starts and no carries.

Coach Gary Kubiak hopes the addition will help a running game that is averaging just 76 yards a game. Leach joins fellow fullback Jameel Cook in Houston.
If he's just a blocking FB, I'd rather have Moran Norris back.

Texans34Life
10-11-2006, 12:55 AM
What the hell kind of upgrade is he? We are definitely grasping at straws for the RB position.

AustinJB
10-11-2006, 01:26 AM

Ditto!

wicked_wayz
10-11-2006, 02:27 AM
i'd prefer nick lachey...(not the singer)

gtexan02
10-11-2006, 08:56 AM
Whatever trash the Broncos or GB rid themselves of, we pick it up like its going out of style

nunusguy
10-11-2006, 09:26 AM
I'd rather have Moran Norris back.
Exactly. We already had this player in Moran. C'mon coach, make your mind
up. Do you want a small, mobile FB like Cook or a mini-guard to lead interferance like this guy or Moran ? This is a clear deviation from the commitment and migration to the Denver South philosophy.
This decision has Sherman written all over. Leach was his player in his system.

Hulk75
10-11-2006, 09:45 AM
http://www.bearstalk.com/draft/FB_LEACH_Vx.jpghttp://www.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may06/10_506.jpg

powerfuldragon
10-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Someone in Texans management needs to relearn thier abc's. They missed C by 3 letters. Inexcusable.

Blake
10-11-2006, 11:00 AM
i'd prefer nick lachey...(not the singer)

First off its Nick Luchey. And second of all, I think they feel Vonta is more os a special Teamer than Bennie could be. JMHO.

thunderkyss
10-11-2006, 03:54 PM
I noticed that myself. They are rejects for a reason. They suck! I hope kubiak knows what he is doing.I think kubiak should get advice from madden on being a head coach.

So what are you saying?? that we should've kept Joppru as a fullback??

Personnel moves happen all the time. & I know as fans we get attached to certain players, but that's the way it goes.

Everybody who is/will be available between now & the trade deadline will be somebody's reject. Kubiak isn't trying to build a team from these players, he's trying to get us by, to next year. To FA, & the draft, trying to get us some wins along the way.

It should be no surprise that former Greenbay players, and former Denver players will get first look. Kubiak doesn't have time to do extensive research on the people most likely to be cut by other teams, so if there is a cut, he'll look at it. If they have good memories of a guy, he's more than likely to get called over a reject he has no clue about.

Didn't AhmadCaroll just get cut?? you don't see hime wearing steel blue do you??

Kubiak's doing his thing. He's doing what anyone in his position would be doing.

tsip
10-11-2006, 04:18 PM
So what are you saying?? that we should've kept Joppru as a fullback??

Personnel moves happen all the time. & I know as fans we get attached to certain players, but that's the way it goes.

Everybody who is/will be available between now & the trade deadline will be somebody's reject. Kubiak isn't trying to build a team from these players, he's trying to get us by, to next year. To FA, & the draft, trying to get us some wins along the way.

It should be no surprise that former Greenbay players, and former Denver players will get first look. Kubiak doesn't have time to do extensive research on the people most likely to be cut by other teams, so if there is a cut, he'll look at it. If they have good memories of a guy, he's more than likely to get called over a reject he has no clue about.

Didn't AhmadCaroll just get cut?? you don't see hime wearing steel blue do you??

Kubiak's doing his thing. He's doing what anyone in his position would be doing.

I think you're missing the point here that NUNUSGUY referred to in his post--getting players added to the roster is not the problem. However, flip flopping on the type of player needed for the offense is...

First, we block one way (Denver)-then a little GB--and then a combo of both. We start off with hitting the hole and taking 1 cut with RB's also expected to be pass catchers-then we go with a 'little' power running-and, then...we want a FB that can block but also catch-but then...

IMO, our running game is a 'mess' because of the coaching. This is another example-under Kubiak-of having difficulty meshing together schemes with personnel strength. And, this is obviously compounded because the coaches don't know what type of running attack they want....

JMO, but we are seeing this type of coaching throughout the team and isn't it going to be kinda hard to 'build' a foundation when we don't know 'what we want to 'build it out of'??:brickwall :confused:

Vinny
10-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Norris is the 9ers starting FB....he has been keeping Chris Hetherington on the bench....and now we are signing another FB like Norris (who was rated as one of the best run blocking backs in the NFL when he was here)....

I'd probably call this another bad personel move by our beloved Texans.

MightyTExan
10-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Too much Sherman influence, messes up the proven WCO system.

mexican_texan
10-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Norris is the 9ers starting FB....he has been keeping Chris Hetherington on the bench....and now we are signing another FB like Norris (who was rated as one of the best run blocking backs in the NFL when he was here)....

I'd probably call this another bad personel move by our beloved Texans.
I thought he was cut after TC. At least now I know why the Niners have been running the ball well.

Vinny
10-11-2006, 04:23 PM
I thought he was cut after TC. At least now I know why the Niners have been running the ball well.
I run the 9er mb too so I'm up to speed on this....he has been active and is their starting FB in sets that require one. Chris Hetherington (listed as their starter) has been inactive the last few weeks in favor of Norris.

tsip
10-11-2006, 04:27 PM
...too many chiefs at the top of the coaching 'ranks' and not enough Indians??

srstex
10-11-2006, 04:46 PM
I think the problem stems from the fact that the one back that can do everything we need is injured, D Davis. And if you look around there are no Davis' out there to be had. Let's embrace the horror.
The Texans will still beat the Cowboys on Sunday.

FILO_girl
10-11-2006, 09:27 PM

yeah.....YEAH, what he said. Whats up with this? Was Moran going to cost us some cash, so they cut him (like so many players in our past that were GOOD).

Geez, this team is really making hard for me to learn the nuts and bolts of this game easily. :rolleyes:

Cruuuuuuuz
10-12-2006, 12:36 AM
WAIT....
Did Leach block for Gado last year when Green went down?
If so...thas a clue...that Gado gonna be gettin the ball more.

Hervoyel
10-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Was Moran going to cost us some cash, so they cut him (like so many players in our past that were GOOD).

Maybe so but there were more players in our past that were BAD and the money we've wasted on them has hurt us more.