PDA

View Full Version : Joppru signs with Chicago

stickman713
10-10-2006, 11:44 PM
As per Mark Berman of fox 26 news.

Texans34Life
10-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Went from an up and coming team to a Super Bowl bound team. Good luck, Bennie!

mexican_texan
10-10-2006, 11:53 PM
Good luck Bennie! Enjoy the true #1 QB of the league (who wears #8)

j/k. Good luck. Break a leg! On second thought....

Sco-tai
10-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Hooray Bennie!!!

Best Of Luck, Bro!!!

Nbkan
10-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Good luck Bennie.

phan1
10-11-2006, 12:23 AM
I'm happy for him. I mean what cha' going to do? We really can't have 4 TEs on our roster...

10-11-2006, 02:02 AM
I hope he does well for 'em. I got nothing but respect for him.

TexansSeminole
10-11-2006, 02:46 AM
Nice for the Bears. Gotta talk to my Bears buddies.

SAMURAITEXAN
10-11-2006, 03:14 AM
Good luck BJ.

Mysteryhunt
10-11-2006, 04:31 AM
those are some tough initials for a football guy.

Runner
10-11-2006, 04:51 AM
Good for Bennie. I think he'll have a successful career. It's nice for him to have a fresh start back in the Midwest where people know him from college. He'll have positive baggage rather than the negative injury baggage he had here.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
10-11-2006, 06:05 AM
If it's true my wife will be happy she's a life long Bears fan having grown up in the windy city. good luck to JB hope he gets some play time.

MightyTExan
10-11-2006, 06:39 AM
He might end up with a Superbowl ring.

TFL
10-11-2006, 06:40 AM
Wished he could have stayed, but we had to many TE's. Well good luck JB.

Runner
10-11-2006, 06:41 AM
If it's true ...

I haven't seen anything yet either, but in my observation Mark Berman is one of the few reporters here who is interested in players who are NOT:

1) High profile
2) Highly paid
3) Steve McKinney

If there is a reporter who will bother to track a recent release like Jop, it's him.

Runner
10-11-2006, 06:44 AM

and/or frostbite.

mancunian
10-11-2006, 07:09 AM
my thoughts exactly, the way the Bears are playing they look good for Miami in Feb.

nunusguy
10-11-2006, 07:25 AM
Went from an up and coming team to a Super Bowl bound team. Good luck, Bennie!
I think I just became a Bears fan. And I needed someone in the NFC to
root for. Hopefully he'll actually see the field now and then.
BTW, who was that "up and coming team" that Joppru was with ?

thunderkyss
10-11-2006, 07:28 AM
I guess I should drop DesmondClark from my fantasy team.........

Runner
10-11-2006, 08:18 AM
Who thought Bennnie and the Jets would have been corny?

http://www.tonystrading.co.uk/pix/annuals/1980s/1982/bjandthebear82.jpg

San Antonio Texan
10-11-2006, 08:27 AM
How about BJ and the Bears?

For those of you old enough to remember that show.

Hulk75
10-11-2006, 08:40 AM

For what has happened to him in his career, he would diserve one.:cool:

WWJD
10-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Good luck to him.

jerek
10-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Somewhat unexpected, in light of Desmond Clark's (IMO) already well established role.

All the same, good luck Bennie. Hope you find your success in Chi-town!

Beer and Metal
10-11-2006, 01:31 PM
How about BJ and the Bears?

For those of you old enough to remember that show.

I hope the Bears don't trade him to the Saints. The we'll be singing "Joppru just left Chicago, and he's bound for New Orleans"

Texans86
10-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Bears are my pick for the Super Bowl this year. Good job, Bennie. Make us proud that you were on out team, but not good enough that we kick ourselves for letting you go.

nunusguy
10-11-2006, 04:33 PM
"Sheldon and Kay Joppru had the Vikings' preseason game on the television in their Minnetonka home Thursday. But the volume was off, and their minds were about 1,200 miles away in Texas.
"We were listening to the Texans' radio broadcast on the Internet," Sheldon said. "They had just beaten Tampa Bay [16-13] and Bennie had scored his first touchdown. They stopped him coming off the field and asked, 'Bennie, how's it feel to know that after all you've been through, you made it all the way back? You'll be playing in the regular season!' "
The words hung in the air for Sheldon and Kay. Bennie, their middle son and Houston's second-round draft pick in 2003, finally will play an NFL game that counts this Sunday when Philadelphia visits Reliant Stadium.
"Kay just broke down," Sheldon said. "She started bawling. It's been a pretty emotional summer."
http://www.startribune.com/101/story/655368.html
Here's an article I ran across in the Minneapolis paper about Bennie's parents
reaction to hearing about their son scoring that TD in the preseason game
here against the Bucs. Very touching, as his family went thru a lot just like
he did. But no doubt, they were always there for him.
And so was Bob McNair and the Texans. About as far as they could go I suppose, because 4 TEs is a luxury, especially for a team that needs so much help as we do.
The thing is though, I really think Bennie is a better long-term prospect than
Breuner or Putzier. Bennie is light now ('bout 240), but I won't be surprised to see him at 260 next Spring. But as I said, with so many needs and so few resources, we just had to let him go. But the organization did its part to nurse him back to health and leave him with a remaining opportunity in the league.
Good luck Bennie !

TheOgre
10-11-2006, 05:45 PM
If he stays with a team for more than a season, I'll buy his jersey. He is the definition of persistence.

hollywood_texan
10-11-2006, 06:14 PM
umhhhh....

Double Barrel
10-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Good luck to him. :thumbup

Runner
10-11-2006, 09:28 PM
I just got home and did a quick scan of the boards. I didn't see this additional information posted; I apologize if it is a repeat.

Bennie's good news isn't quite as good as we thought. He signed to the Bears practice squad. It's good that he's still in the league and has a chance to catch on with a good team. However, it does bring up interesting questions.

Bennie cleared waivers, so did the Texans try to sign him to the practice squad? If they did, why did he choose another option? If they didn't try to sign him, why didn't they?

I pretty sure the Texans did want him on their practice squad and Jop had to make the decision.

Grid
10-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Eh.. given the chance to go to a team that is reaching its maturity, close to his hometown, that is in need of TEs.. rather than a team that is still rebuilding, miles from home, with a glut of TEs.. im betting that he made the decision that was best for him.

If I was in his position and the bears had just released me.. id go to the Texans for a chance to play close to home too.

thunderkyss
10-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Eh.. given the chance to go to a team that is reaching its maturity, close to his hometown, that is in need of TEs.. rather than a team that is still rebuilding, miles from home, with a glut of TEs.. im betting that he made the decision that was best for him.

If I was in his position and the bears had just released me.. id go to the Texans for a chance to play close to home too.

that's the point, they aren't in "need" Desmond Clark is doing pretty well in my fantasy league.

mexican_texan
10-11-2006, 09:37 PM
that's the point, they aren't in "need" Desmond Clark is doing pretty well in my fantasy league.
Joppru may not exactly be a TE. He could be a FB/Hback with the Bears.

thunderkyss
10-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Joppru may not exactly be a TE. He could be a FB/Hback with the Bears.

The point was, that he signed to the Bears Practice team.... I haven't confirmed it, I have no sources, but that is the statement made, that sparked the questions,

did we offer to put him on our practice squad, and if we did, why did he not choose to stay with us.

If we didn't, why not??

Runner
10-11-2006, 09:41 PM
I'd be willing to bet that he went to the Bears because he could be a tight end there rather than a tight end/fullback.

I don't know much about the Bears roster. I looked at their depth chart and they showed three tight ends and one of them was injured. I'd be interested to know the mix of TEs that they have. If they have a couple of bruisers and a single pass catching type, that might be a better place for Joppru than here where they have one bruiser and two others that are more like him

mexican_texan
10-11-2006, 09:43 PM
The point was, that he signed to the Bears Practice team.... I haven't confirmed it, I have no sources, but that is the statement made, that sparked the questions,

did we offer to put him on our practice squad, and if we did, why did he not choose to stay with us.

If we didn't, why not??
Joppru doesn't really fill a need for this team.

Grid
10-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Desmond Clark is battling injuries.. and im not positive who they have behind him.. but id bet that Joppru has a better chance of starting there than he does here behind Daniels, Putzier, and Bruener.

thunderkyss
10-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Desmond Clark is battling injuries.. and im not positive who they have behind him.. but id bet that Joppru has a better chance of starting there than he does here behind Daniels, Putzier, and Bruener.

Maybe so. I didn't know DesmonClark was battling injuries.... my fantasy updater hadn't said any thing about that.

Grid
10-11-2006, 10:06 PM
he is probable for next week. Foot injury.

Texans Horror
10-12-2006, 09:21 AM
I just got home and did a quick scan of the boards. I didn't see this additional information posted; I apologize if it is a repeat.

Bennie's good news isn't quite as good as we thought. He signed to the Bears practice squad. It's good that he's still in the league and has a chance to catch on with a good team. However, it does bring up interesting questions.

Bennie cleared waivers, so did the Texans try to sign him to the practice squad? If they did, why did he choose another option? If they didn't try to sign him, why didn't they?

I pretty sure the Texans did want him on their practice squad and Jop had to make the decision.

Maybe Bennie thought that if he stayed around, he would be just another player jerked around by management/coaching battles. He wouldn't be the first.

Bottom line, it's hard to keep fealty for a team that just cut you...

Runner
10-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Here is a link that shows Joppru on the Bears' roster. It doesn't differentiate the players on the 53 man roster from those on the practice squad though.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/rosters/CHI

nunusguy
10-12-2006, 10:11 AM
close to his hometown
I'm thinking that's got to be a real big consideration.
He's from the Twin Cities area, and Chi-town is much closer than the Gulf of
Mexico. I think he's still single, and his family including his parents still live in
MN, so having them closer is worth a lot.
And as a native midwestern myself, I can tell that many of us never stop yearning for the 4 seasons climate of the midwest.
And let's face it, Bennie's memories of his playing days in Houston are hardly
positive. Maybe just a fresh start, etc. The psyche intangibles would not be
without value.

TFL
10-12-2006, 11:41 AM
When the Texans waived tight end Bennie Joppru earlier this week, they intended to sign him to the practice squad.
I thought I saw someone in here wanting to know if we did try to sign him to PS well we did try.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4253363.html

edo783
10-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Seems that both the Texans and the Bears made PS offers to him. I'm shocked....shocked I tell you, that he went to the club that will likely be in the SuperBowl. Good luck Bennie, you deserve some.