PDA

View Full Version : possible additions

done88
10-10-2006, 05:53 PM
The Broncos have dropped their punter and the Dolphins have dropped Suggs. Stanly has been average at best and sometimes not good. Suggs can't be any worse then Lundy.

ThaShark316
10-10-2006, 06:13 PM
I'd like to have Mr. Suggs here....couldnt be any worse than the RB situation is now.

Porky
10-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Is Suggs injured? I was pretty high on him coming out, but I know he has had health issues in his brief career. If healthy, I think he may be better than anyone on our roster (sadly) but he may still have issues with character and injury.

TK_Gamer
10-10-2006, 07:32 PM
who is the punter? a rookie? I do think we could use a pro-bowl punter with the inconsistency of our offense, it can make up for alot when you punt the ball 5 or 6 times a game or more. if not a pro-bowler at least one that is consistently belting it 50 yards or so. stanely is pretty good nailing it inside the 20 but not as consistent with the distance punts.

gtexan02
10-10-2006, 09:15 PM
Be careful, i got a negative rep for suggesting upgrades at punter.

Texans Horror
10-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Most people don't know this, but when a Bronco player is released, the process is that first Shanahan gives them a little pink slip, which they take to HR. At HR, Kubiak gives them a "Welcome to the Texans" folder.

To put it another way: If you're not good enough to play in Denver, you're always good enough to play in Houston!

mexican_texan
10-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Be careful, i got a negative rep for suggesting upgrades at punter.
Especially Barry Bonds---I mean Todd Sauerbrun.

powerfuldragon
10-10-2006, 11:08 PM
CHAD STANLEY!

Hulk75
10-10-2006, 11:21 PM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?statsId=6451Lee Suggs He runs with excellent balance and body control - can keep his feet after taking a hit. He shows solid inside run strength - keeps his momentum going forward. He does a solid job of falling forward after contact. He shows functional hands. Not a player you can align all over the field to create miss-matches, but he is effective catching the ball out of the backfield. He is smooth in the open field - does show a little extra burst. He knows how to finish his runs - will lower his pads and take on the defender. Had some fumbling issues in the Miami game, but his overall ball security throughout his career has been very good. The biggest negative with Suggs is that he is not durable. He is not consistent to be able to turn the corner. He needs to improve his blitz pick up and awareness.

Mr. White
10-11-2006, 12:24 AM
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?statsId=6451Lee Suggs

I don't see why not. It seems like we're grasping at straws right now to get the run game going anyway.

TK_Gamer
10-11-2006, 05:35 AM
sometimes its coaching and playcalling and practice, not personnel

Texans_Chick
10-11-2006, 09:24 AM
It is not wise to angry up the Chad.

gjmac2
10-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Anyone have any info on why we did not look at picking up Ahmad Carroll? I saw that Jacksonville just signed him.

Also, does anyone think we might have interest in Jonathon Sullivan. I see that the Patriots just released him.

JDizzle
10-11-2006, 12:42 PM
CB Derrick Strait has been released by the Jets.

Link. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2621051)

kcwilson
10-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Lional Dalton DT Cheifs

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2621335

A proven run stopper, sorry TJ, but you need better competition as Kubiak would say. With Alfred Malone being released, I would like to see someone like this Anthony Maddox kid released.

Veteran play is what is needed to help out TJ and the youngin's on the DL. I like the idea of run stopping DT to make an impact right away.

Porky
10-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Strait is more of a cover 2 zone guy, but he was another highly sought draftee. I would claim him, unless there is baggage I am unaware of. I know Carroll had some issues, but hey beggars can't be choosers. We need help back there, and right now, any warm body with some decent physical tools will do at this point. I don't understand why we continue to use these same guys that aren't that talented, but what do I know.

DayneBum
10-11-2006, 01:58 PM
are u guys serious? no matter what rb we bring here, they will look just like what we got now.....NO RB CAN RUN WHEN THE OLINE IS NOT GETTING NO PUSH, OR OPENING UP HOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!! DID U SEE LT LAST WEEK VS THE STEELERS, MAYBE THE CHARGERS SHOULD CUT HIM. When are yaw gonna get it throught ur heads, its not the rb's its the OFFENSIVE LINE!!!!!:wild:

D-Vizzl
10-11-2006, 02:16 PM
What kind of team do you guys want to have? If every player who is released by another team comes here guess what, we have a team who is comprised of everyones rejects, bottom of the pit talent, and that doesn't make us better.

Lawrence Phillips may or may not get jail time, if he doesn't maybe he can take a stab at running back. Better yet Spencer Tillman is only doing college football this year, maybe he can start against the Cowboys. Boobie Miles just may be ready for a comeback, you think we can sign him. Eric Crouch just may be open to playing safety now, how about Matt Stephens I heard he isn't doing anything.

Porky
10-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Nobody is saying (or at least I am not) that we have to keep these guys forever. Maybe they are only fodder for this year, or maybe they work long term, who knows. But, they were highly regarded coming out of college for a reason. It's not like these are PS players we are talking about. We are talking about former 1st rd CB's, who have struggled for whatever reason. You don't think players ever go elsewhere and improve? If not, Steve Foley wants to talk to you after he sobers up.

D-Vizzl
10-11-2006, 02:28 PM
I understand what you're saying porky but these guys are washed up now, Strait and Carroll would make Buchanon blush when it comes to coverage. I want to figure out what we have on our team and I as a fan prefer quality over quantity and name value.

Porky
10-11-2006, 02:36 PM
I understand what you're saying porky but these guys are washed up now, Strait and Carroll would make Buchanon blush when it comes to coverage. I want to figure out what we have on our team and I as a fan prefer quality over quantity and name value.

And I in turn understand what you are saying as well. But, calling guys who are in the league 2-4 yrs washed up is a stretch imo. What quality are you talking about here? Are you saying Straight is worse than some of the fodder we have now?

thunderkyss
10-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Nobody is saying (or at least I am not) that we have to keep these guys forever. Maybe they are only fodder for this year, or maybe they work long term, who knows. But, they were highly regarded coming out of college for a reason. It's not like these are PS players we are talking about. We are talking about former 1st rd CB's, who have struggled for whatever reason. You don't think players ever go elsewhere and improve? If not, Steve Foley wants to talk to you after he sobers up.

I say we stick with our own former 1st rd CB..... at least let hm get on the field, and see what he's got.

I know we saw him last year, but this is a new year. I think he's playing better. We should look at him, just like we are wanting to look at these other corners who haven't excelled elsewhere.

D-Vizzl
10-11-2006, 02:52 PM
And I in turn understand what you are saying as well. But, calling guys who are in the league 2-4 yrs washed up is a stretch imo. What quality are you talking about here? Are you saying Straight is worse than some of the fodder we have now?

Okay washed up may be too strong but I cringed when I heard Carroll was released, only because we have first dibbs at these players. Carroll was a starter who was released because he was playing too soft and offenses started targeting him, a simple 5 yard route would turn into a 36 yard game. At one point this season Derrick Striat was reduced to nickel back-nuff said.

For example if we released Dunta Robinson right now it would be because he sucks, no other reason, and until someone had a major injury (like the Jags) at that position he wouldn't be picked up, players don't get released after you have played more than a quarter of your games unless they can no longer produce.

Meloy
10-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Seems like it is getting to be a giant Easter Egg hunt. Look over there! Looks like an egg. Let's run over and pick it up. Something looks better than nothing. If you do not want the egg in your basket put it in mine. How about we think a bit, pick oout a solid veteran on another team and make a trade. We will have to give up more because we have the need. Or just wait until next draft and hope we strike oil.

kcwilson
10-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Seems like it is getting to be a giant Easter Egg hunt. Look over there! Looks like an egg. Let's run over and pick it up. Something looks better than nothing. If you do not want the egg in your basket put it in mine. How about we think a bit, pick oout a solid veteran on another team and make a trade. We will have to give up more because we have the need. Or just wait until next draft and hope we strike oil.

And you seriously think there is someone on this team that is desirable to another team... at least someone the team is willing to part with?

We have over payed for the low-quality personnel that we have, why would someone want that? Who do you recommend that we trade?

srstex
10-11-2006, 04:56 PM
I find your lack of faith disturbing, the force of the Texans will crush the Cowboys Like A BUG.

And our starting RB gets 100 yards. Carr 25 - 32

Second Honeymoon
10-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Anyone have any info on why we did not look at picking up Ahmad Carroll? I saw that Jacksonville just signed him.

Also, does anyone think we might have interest in Jonathon Sullivan. I see that the Patriots just released him.

I have no clue why we didnt look at Carroll. I think Sullivan would be good to sign for depth as well. We have no excuse to not sign these guys. Our depth on defense is anemic at the skill positions and its not like we dont have the money.

Open up that wallet McNair

Doug from the woodlands

jerek
10-11-2006, 08:21 PM
A good pick up would be Derrick Strait. He was released. He is not a savior or anything, but he was starting for the Jets at FS. He has experience at FS and CB. He has not been bad at either. I think he is a bit undersized, but has the athleticsm to help us out. Hell he cannot be worse that Derrick Johnson or Mcleon.

12Gage
10-11-2006, 09:07 PM
A good pick up would be Derrick Strait. He was released. He is not a savior or anything, but he was starting for the Jets at FS. He has experience at FS and CB. He has not been bad at either. I think he is a bit undersized, but has the athleticsm to help us out. Hell he cannot be worse that Derrick Johnson or Mcleon.
Derrick Strait has been signed by Tampa.

infantrycak
10-11-2006, 09:21 PM
its not like we dont have the money.

Open up that wallet McNair

Doug from the woodlands

It isn't a question of money--that's for sure--so stop that little rant. Any of these guys--Sullivan, Carroll or Strait could have been had for league minimum or very little above. Hard for me to believe the coaches really believe McCleon is better than both Carroll and Strait but it certainly isn't a money decision.

thunderkyss
10-11-2006, 10:13 PM
It isn't a question of money--that's for sure--so stop that little rant. Any of these guys--Sullivan, Carroll or Strait could have been had for league minimum or very little above. Hard for me to believe the coaches really believe McCleon is better than both Carroll and Strait but it certainly isn't a money decision.

What's hard to believe, is that this staff has stood pretty much by their assessment, that our DBs are solid.

We brought in RocAlexander, primarily as a kick returner?? Had he not got hurt, could he have been a replacement at Corner?? Buchannon hasn't been on the defense..... not even as the nickle, or when Sanders got tweaked...... is his ankle bothering him??

Dunta, Sanders, CC, Earl, and even McCleon seem to be locked in.

I think Sanders & Earl have been playing well....... very well, but the others.... my god.... you'd think we'd have seen JasonSimmons a little more often..... that one INT would make you think his awareness is a step above what we've had on the field.

A big problem, is that they are still needed to support the run game, Dunta & Earl especially. Earl is understandable, but Dunta's role in run defense should not be great.

LORK 88
10-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Lional Dalton DT Cheifs

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2621335

A proven run stopper, sorry TJ, but you need better competition as Kubiak would say. With Alfred Malone being released, I would like to see someone like this Anthony Maddox kid released.

Veteran play is what is needed to help out TJ and the youngin's on the DL. I like the idea of run stopping DT to make an impact right away.
Good call, he was signed to our roster today! Positive rep for you!