PDA

View Full Version : Travis Johnson

texanGoon22
10-10-2006, 11:53 AM
I'm a texan fan from philly, so I don't get to see many games, and I was just wondering how Travis Johnson is looking this year because I really don't want to label him a bust.

jerek
10-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Typical TJ though somewhat improved. Seems to show a good fire. Prone to stupid penalties: good for at least one untimely encroachment a game. Plays emotionally and at times overpursues but has looked improved under the new regime IMO. Not irreplacable but sufficient.

texanGoon22
10-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Better news then I expected, thanks jerek.

jtijerina32
10-10-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm a texan fan from philly, so I don't get to see many games, and I was just wondering how Travis Johnson is looking this year because I really don't want to label him a bust.

hes over weight and needs to be let go

hot pickle
10-10-2006, 12:01 PM

travis has lost weight since training camp, he looks slimmer and faster, hes a good player, that just needs time to develop

jerek
10-10-2006, 12:02 PM

TJ's actually been kicked out of workout before for dogging it in the weight room. It's a maturity issue and if he gets into better shape he could be a force for us. Again IMO he's simply sufficient for now, hasn't stuck out on the tape in my view much one way or the other, but he seems to have resppnded well to the new coaching.

Texans Horror
10-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Dude needs a new haircut. His current one is looking kinda Mickey Mouse. I wish I had a link, but what I saw was on television.

Nawzer
10-10-2006, 03:57 PM
At this point he's a better comedian than a football player. Which should say pretty much everything about him.

Double Barrel
10-10-2006, 04:26 PM
He wasn't worth a first round pick, IMO.

The jury is still out on him, as far as I'm concerned. He's far from doing anything to impress me at this point.

El Amigo Invisible
10-10-2006, 04:47 PM
He wasn't worth a first round pick, IMO.

The jury is still out on him, as far as I'm concerned. He's far from doing anything to impress me at this point.

I have not seen anything from TJ. I do not think he will be much .:hunter:

Sarg01
10-10-2006, 05:24 PM
I count TJ as a rookie, even though he's a second year player.

He should never have been in a 3-4 system, and trying to cram him in one for a year regressed him some. I'll bet he takes off at some point late in the year and has a great career.

mexican_texan
10-10-2006, 05:48 PM
I like 'im. Sticks up for his teammates and worked his way out of the cellar/doghouse.

TK_Gamer
10-10-2006, 06:26 PM
I like 'im. Sticks up for his teammates and worked his way out of the cellar/doghouse.

yeah he needs to be more serious on the conditioning side, but what I've seen on the field, he doesnt lack effort or heart. he just seems like a big kid to me, and once he settles into his role he will be solid.

bdizzle
10-11-2006, 08:49 AM
I wonder where some people get their information....getting kicked out of the workout room for dogging it. Is that a fact or did you just hear about it and continued to pass on bad info? Travis is in much better shape than the initial training camp. He is not over weight...first, can a Defensive Tackle be overweight, lol. I believe he is around 300. Now, if you look at the last game, Travis was double teamed almost every play. Go back, pull out the tivo and look at the sack that Payne got...Travis was doubled. Look at the majority of the plays that he was in there, and you will see that Travis was doubled, and when he beat the double, there was a third waiting. I will agree that he could prolly be in a tad better shape, but you try taking your 300lbs against 630+ and see how tired you get. It is funny how a lot you tend to knock players when you don't really see how the game works. Give him credit where credit is due. Most DT get their sacks when there is an outside pass rush, along with an incredible blitzing scheme. But to get sacks where two big guys are blocking you is asking alot for a second year player. But, to tie up two players while your other guys have one on one and can make plays, is part of his job. I'll bet not one of the other defensive lineman will complain.

Runner
10-11-2006, 09:07 AM
I wonder where some people get their information....getting kicked out of the workout room for dogging it.

I would say that this probably happened based solely on Jerek's statement. While I frequently argue with him about interpretations and conclusions, I doubt he'd make a simple fact up.

beerlover
10-11-2006, 09:21 AM
Seems like Travis transition to a solid NFL DT is in process, his desire (maturity) to keep improving will be key in his development, physical attributes are adequate. :twocents:

thunderkyss
10-11-2006, 09:30 AM
I count TJ as a rookie, even though he's a second year player.

He should never have been in a 3-4 system, and trying to cram him in one for a year regressed him some. I'll bet he takes off at some point late in the year and has a great career.

I really don't see how any of our DLinemen are going to get any better, any time soon.

How do they work out in practice?? Is there a first team??

They switch them around so much, they don't have a chance to settle in, or work on any one on one match-ups.

I understand rotating the D-Line to keep them fresh, but c'mon...... we need to find a starting line, and let them get most of the snaps.

jerek
10-11-2006, 09:51 AM
I wonder where some people get their information....getting kicked out of the workout room for dogging it. Is that a fact or did you just hear about it and continued to pass on bad info? Travis is in much better shape than the initial training camp. He is not over weight...first, can a Defensive Tackle be overweight, lol. I believe he is around 300. Now, if you look at the last game, Travis was double teamed almost every play. Go back, pull out the tivo and look at the sack that Payne got...Travis was doubled. Look at the majority of the plays that he was in there, and you will see that Travis was doubled, and when he beat the double, there was a third waiting. I will agree that he could prolly be in a tad better shape, but you try taking your 300lbs against 630+ and see how tired you get. It is funny how a lot you tend to knock players when you don't really see how the game works. Give him credit where credit is due. Most DT get their sacks when there is an outside pass rush, along with an incredible blitzing scheme. But to get sacks where two big guys are blocking you is asking alot for a second year player. But, to tie up two players while your other guys have one on one and can make plays, is part of his job. I'll bet not one of the other defensive lineman will complain.

Appreciate the schtick about knowing how the game works. I agree with most of your assessment.

My reference to TJ being kicked out occurred last year. I didn't make it up, and I don't reveal my sources. You can take it FWIW to you but I speculate by your post history that you haven't been here long. If I'm not sure about my sources or the quality of their information, I'll say as much. I know he got kicked out last year at least once and I've heard that the team strength and conditioning staff has previously said that he was in absolutely laughable condition for a young 20-something defensive lineman.

My understanding (as I noted previously) is that he is responding well to the new coaching so far this year, and I think he is improving, but he isn't irreplacable at this point.

thunderkyss
10-11-2006, 11:12 AM
];465816']To tell the truth, the TJ that was able to create alot of pressure in the preseason is all but gone.

Payne and him are both worthless at this moment I would like to get more penetration from the inside, but of course none of that is happening because they both get stone walled on the line by ONE GUY! Gaping holes allover the place

I wouldn't say they are worthless. They do OK, against the run. I think they'd do better if we didn't move/subsitute as often as we do, just like our DEs...

HOU-TEX
10-11-2006, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't say they are worthless. They do OK, against the run. I think they'd do better if we didn't move/subsitute as often as we do, just like our DEs...

Philly does it with much success. I believe they rotate thier whole D-line in and out. Why can they do it and we can't?:spy:

thunderkyss
10-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Philly does it with much success. I believe they rotate thier whole D-line in and out. Why can they do it and we can't?:spy:

They....... do...... not......... do.......it as.... much...... as....... we... have... been.

Every body rotates their players in and out of the game. But WE've been swapping DLmen before every snap..... I think it's gotten out of hand.

kcwilson
10-11-2006, 12:08 PM
In the spirit of creating competition as Kubiak preaches... we should bring in

Lional Dalton DT Chiefs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2621335

A move like this might actually create a fire under TJ's butt to make him realize that his PT will go down if we can get a proven run stopper in place. Performance on and off the field is what TJ needs to be accountable for and he should have to earn his keep on this team. Very disappointed in his play to date.