PDA

View Full Version : Ephraim Salaam vs. DeMarcus Ware

Marcus
10-10-2006, 10:54 AM
I think this will be the key matchup of the game. If Ware has a good game, the Texans will have a bad one, IMO. We have to contain this guy. Hopefully, the backs will know their assignments on passing downs.

chuckm
10-10-2006, 11:13 AM
It's a coaching mistake, IMO, to expect Salaam to handle Ware 1-1 on more than a handful of plays. Chip him with a RB, overplay him outside and get inside help, line up a TE, whatever it takes ....

texan279
10-10-2006, 11:14 AM
It's a coaching mistake, IMO, to expect Salaam to handle Ware 1-1 on more than a handful of plays. Chip him with a RB, overplay him outside and get inside help, line up a TE, whatever it takes ....

Yep, Ware will own Salaam one on one.

Runner
10-10-2006, 11:23 AM

Leaving Weigert one-on-one against Ellis. This may be pick your poison time.

V Man
10-10-2006, 11:25 AM

This is what scares me the most about this weeks game. If (and we need to) help Salaam with a RB or TE, who helps Wiegert with Ellis.
:hides:

texan279
10-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Better yet, who is going to cover Witten, T.O., and Glenn? :hides:

Marcus
10-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Better yet, who is going to cover Witten, T.O., and Glenn? :hides:
I think that's for the "Our secondary vs. their receivers" thread.:)

HOU-TEX
10-10-2006, 12:03 PM
While reading this thread I got to thinking about all the sacks we've given up over the years. The question I then asked myself: Has there been a single game that we've gone without giving up a sack? I reckon it'd take some research time in order to determine the final answer, but it's just something to ponder.:lightbulb:

This will be an extensive test of our Oline. The odds are not in our favor.

hot pickle
10-10-2006, 12:08 PM
i think salaam will handle ware, ware might make acouple plays, but he wont be a deciding factor

Blu
10-10-2006, 12:21 PM
God Now I really miss Spencer that much more. Get well soon good buddy.
Pick your Poison?
Every Rose Has it's Thorn..

Every rose has its thorn
Just like every night has its dawn
Just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song

Here's hoping a mess load of dem boys have to take a sick day on Monday.

edo783
10-10-2006, 12:56 PM
Salaam vs. Ware = Carr in traction

thunderkyss
10-10-2006, 12:59 PM

Then you've got Spears, Ferguson & Canty in the middle..... That's going to be tough to run against.

Runner
10-10-2006, 01:26 PM
While reading this thread I got to thinking about all the sacks we've given up over the years. The question I then asked myself: Has there been a single game that we've gone without giving up a sack? I reckon it'd take some research time in order to determine the final answer, but it's just something to ponder.:lightbulb:

This will be an extensive test of our Oline. The odds are not in our favor.

There have been, I just don't remember which ones. Carr would celebrate by taking his lineman out to dinner - I recall reading about that.

run-david-run
10-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Salaam held Jason Taylor in check pretty well, I think the sack and fumble was against Belile, or however you spell his name. I'm more worried about Weigert on Ellis, we might not see a lot from our TE's in the passing game because they are going to be needed in blocking.

ThaShark316
10-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Yeah this is a tough matchup...but for some reason, i have a great feeling about this game...i just do...lol

Texans Horror
10-10-2006, 02:28 PM
I suspect that just about every down will have a lineman/TE/RB/FB trying to help out Salaam, which is Butkus. He's our starting tackle. He should be able to handle the guy on his own.

FILO_girl
10-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Yep, Ware will own Salaam one on one.

You may be right but I hope you are wrong. Why did we get rid of Ware anyway? :confused:

hot pickle
10-10-2006, 07:27 PM
You may be right but I hope you are wrong. Why did we get rid of Ware anyway? :confused:

we never had ware :confused:

pancho
10-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Andre?

thunderkyss
10-10-2006, 08:01 PM

We could've.......

kastofsna
10-10-2006, 09:51 PM
better get the body cast ready for carr.

Goldeagle
10-10-2006, 09:53 PM

Very true, Salaam is a better T where Weigert is a better G.

I see quick slants, maybe some delay hand offs to cut off the pass rush on the corners?

heck, Im no coach lol :)

CowboysTexansFan
10-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23
we never had ware

We could've.......

Not true. Dallas picked Ware with the 11th pick of last year's draft. He was gone by the time Houston decided to trade down to take Travis Johnson.

FILO_girl
10-10-2006, 10:27 PM

My bad, thought he passed across our roster a couple seasons back.
Wonder who I am confusing him with then....:confused:

Fargin
10-10-2006, 10:29 PM

C'mon Filo, You know as well as I do that Salaam is a turnstile. If your hopes rest on him, YOU'RE DOOMED!

mexican_texan
10-10-2006, 10:49 PM
C'mon Filo, You know as well as I do that Salaam is a turnstile. If your hopes rest on him, YOU'RE DOOMED!
Whoever decided that Salaam would fit with the Jags is an *****. He's not a power blocker, he's a zone blocker. But that's not the point. Can Carr take the snap from McKinney? Wiegart?

mexican_texan
10-10-2006, 10:50 PM
My bad, thought he passed across our roster a couple seasons back.
Wonder who I am confusing him with then....:confused:
We did have a Ware, but it wasn't this beast.

FILO_girl
10-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Well, if it isn't my favorite Tealy tormentor! :D
Miss me Fargie? Came to my house to visit? I feel soooo loved! :tease:

Ware will be a problem, but I am more concerned about Glenn. This is gonna be a fight, as long as our boys show up and put up one. Carr will outshine Bledsoe (if allowed to be in the upright position), but I do have some concerns with other spots.
I only hope that there is a hunger for a win, a deep down yearning to see T O cry to the press that they ONCE again lost to the Texans. And to see Parcells pissed as *****.
I want to see the Toilet Bowl do one big flush at 0:00 in the 4th.

It can be done, it was done before. We can dooo it! We can dooo it!!
:superman:

I will even accept dumb luck. Maybe I need to borrow my daughters new voodoo doll...:hmmm:

Runner
10-10-2006, 10:56 PM

I understand Salaam didn't show you guys too much last year.

I just hope Carr makes it through the next few games without a major injury. That would be the worst result of this line that hasn't been able to show much overall improvement even over last year's catastrophe.

phan1
10-11-2006, 01:19 AM
I absolutely HATE the Dallas Defense. Not because they're good, but because they have been severely OVERRATED! Yet all I hear from the media is "Dallas D", "Dallas D." SO SICK OF IT! Roy Williams is a guy who hits like a big linebacker and covers like one too. He's good for a big-hit highlight every now and then, all the while he's letting recievers beat him up and down the field. Terrance Newman? Another overrated player. I'll admit Ware is a good player, but there are a bunch of guys I would still take before him. Again, this Dallas D is OVERRATED and has been for a damn long time.

I do wish we could have Aaron Glenn back though...

mancunian
10-11-2006, 08:15 AM
This is what scares me the most about this weeks game. If (and we need to) help Salaam with a RB or TE, who helps Wiegert with Ellis.
:hides:

another TE?....and one RB sets, 2 WR's

thunderkyss
10-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23
we never had ware

We could've.......

Not true. Dallas picked Ware with the 11th pick of last year's draft. He was gone by the time Houston decided to trade down to take Travis Johnson.

You're right, I thought they took Spears first, then Ware with the 20th pick, but it was the other way around.

Runner
10-11-2006, 09:06 AM
another TE?....and one RB sets, 2 WR's

2 TE's to block, 1 RB to chip and run a 5 yard route, 2 receivers covered by 4 DBs? Sounds familiar. I hope it doesn't come to that.

HeartofHouston
10-12-2006, 11:23 AM
the main thing for Salaam who whoever may be at the position is that they show Ware respect but at the same time they can not be intimidated by his presence... they have to continue to to play their game. respect his speed and his power but do not be intimidated by his abilities.. just be aware of what he can do..

run-david-run
10-12-2006, 03:47 PM
2 TE's to block, 1 RB to chip and run a 5 yard route, 2 receivers covered by 4 DBs? Sounds familiar. I hope it doesn't come to that.

You can barely call Roy Williams a defensive back and you certany can't call what Pat Watkins does covering, lol. Anyway, one would assume Roy Williams will be around the line of scrimage to stop the run and they might take their chances with Newman against AJ (we can only hope). It should be interesting to see how the O does because no one so far has been able to shut down our WR's.

Texans Horror
10-12-2006, 04:01 PM

I've heard Salaam came close to really injuring your QB on more than one occasion.

thunderkyss
10-12-2006, 06:19 PM
I've heard Salaam came close to really injuring your QB on more than one occasion.

Did Salaam give up a sack?? I think he did pretty good in pass protection.... against Miami anyway. I wouldn't call him a turnstyle yet.

Now he looks pretty clumsy on run blocking....

Runner
10-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Did Salaam give up a sack?? I think he did pretty good in pass protection.... against Miami anyway. I wouldn't call him a turnstyle yet.

Now he looks pretty clumsy on run blocking....

He was talking about when Salaam was in Jacksonville last year and got benched after 5 games. He was their version of Victor Riley.

mexican_texan
10-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Salaam came from Denver. He fits in Denver, GB, Houston, and Atlanta, as far as I know. Jacksonville is definitely not a good fit.

thunderkyss
10-12-2006, 08:13 PM
He was talking about when Salaam was in Jacksonville last year and got benched after 5 games. He was their version of Victor Riley.

Maybe he didn't like Leftwhich?? I like the kid, but I can see how someone could get tired of looking at that face.

Runner
10-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Salaam came from Denver. He fits in Denver, GB, Houston, and Atlanta, as far as I know. Jacksonville is definitely not a good fit.

We're on pace to give up 16 sacks from the LT slot even with Carr's improvements. "Fit" or not, something isn't working.

thunderkyss
10-12-2006, 08:57 PM
We're on pace to give up 16 sacks from the LT slot even with Carr's improvements. "Fit" or not, something isn't working.

How many did Salaam give up??

Runner
10-12-2006, 11:00 PM
1.5 in something over two games. That's on pace for 12. It is hard to say how many games he's really played since he's been hurt already, but what the heck. It's just a pulled groin, an injury that has a tendency to linger and recur without a lot of rest. What are the odds he gets hurt again anyway? There are only 12 more games. His back-up Bedell has given up 1.5 sacks in about one quarter of play.

We can just ignore all this too though. No worries.