PDA

View Full Version : Pats Sign Gaffney

TEXANS84
10-09-2006, 02:53 PM
The New England Patriots addressed their lack of veteran depth at wide receiver on Monday, signing free agent Jabar Gaffney.

Gaffney, 25, worked out for New England coaches and personnel officials on Friday, along with veteran free agent wide receivers Kevin Johnson and Charles Rogers, and was deemed to be the best of the trio.

Gaffney played four seasons with the Houston Texans and signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as an unrestricted free agent this spring, but was released at the end of training camp.

To create a roster spot for Gaffney, the Patriots released defensive tackle Johnathan Sullivan, who had not dressed for any of the team's five regular-season five games this season. The club also released veteran defensive back Hank Poteat, who has been on and off the roster several times the past three seasons, and was re-signed two weeks ago.

Full article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2618469

wags
10-09-2006, 03:04 PM
To create a roster spot for Gaffney, the Patriots released defensive tackle Johnathan Sullivan, who had not dressed for any of the team's five regular-season five games this season.

They released Jabba the Hut? Sullivan has got to be one of the biggest DT busts in a long time.

DCSaints_fan
10-09-2006, 03:15 PM
No kidding. I used to think his problem was just poor coaching, but if he can't be productive in the Pats organization he's done for.

on a related note, if you want a good laugh, during the the five years that Haslett was head coach of the Saints, he didn't draft a single good linebacker, despite spending 5 first day picks spent on them. He drafted really good DE's (Howard, Grant, Will Smith), but no DTs or LBs. I'm really amazed at the job Payton has done in patching up our linebacker core.

And guess what position Jim Haslett played ?

TexanSam
10-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Maybe we can pick up Hank Poteat. He can be our Jabar Gaffney of the secondary!

thunderkyss
10-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Well, I'll be rooting for Jabar....... I still think he's better than any reciever on the Eagles roster (with the exception of Stallworth), I don't know what happened there. Greg Lewis?? Hank Baskett?? WTF??

things didn't go his way here in Houston, but a lot of players were wasted here in Houston.

Meloy
10-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Good luck Gafney.

mexican_texan
10-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Well, I'll be rooting for Jabar....... I still think he's better than any reciever on the Eagles roster (with the exception of Stallworth), I don't know what happened there. Greg Lewis?? Hank Baskett?? WTF??

things didn't go his way here in Houston, but a lot of players were wasted here in Houston.
Greg Lewis can stretch the field and Hank Baskett was reportedly the Eagles' best WR in training camp. Gaffney, on the other hand, is nothing special.

mexican_texan
10-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Maybe we can pick up Hank Poteat. He can be our Jabar Gaffney of the secondary!
He won't be the first(or second...or third) DB we pick up from the Pats this year.

infantrycak
10-09-2006, 04:10 PM
Think about this--Gaffney actually beat out Charles Rogers for that spot with the Pats.

thunderkyss
10-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Greg Lewis can stretch the field and Hank Baskett was reportedly the Eagles' best WR in training camp. Gaffney, on the other hand, is nothing special.

I still like Gaffney, and would take him over those guys. maybe I'm a homer, but so what...

thunderkyss
10-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Think about this--Gaffney actually beat out Charles Rogers for that spot with the Pats.

But better than Charles rogers....... I don't know about that.

I saw his interview the other night..... still looks like a kid who wants to act like a kid... But I'd definitely take a chance with him.

Especially with all those class guys in newEngland, You'd think they'd set him straight.

Kaiser Toro
10-09-2006, 04:52 PM
But better than Charles rogers....... I don't know about that.

That is maybe why you are not a GM or Director of player personnel in the NFL. He has done nothing on or off the field to suggest he is NFL paycheck worthy.

thunderkyss
10-09-2006, 04:55 PM
That is maybe why you are not a GM or Director of player personnel in the NFL. He has done nothing on or off the field to suggest he is NFL paycheck worthy.

I hope there are a lot of reasons I'm not a GM or Director of Player personnel. To think that's all I'm lacking, I'd hate to be wasting my time here at SoupRSalad.....

Kaiser Toro
10-09-2006, 05:04 PM
I hope there are a lot of reasons I'm not a GM or Director of Player personnel. To think that's all I'm lacking, I'd hate to be wasting my time here at SoupRSalad.....

Don't sell yourself short TK, you could be unemployed, thus not having an internet connection. There is gold in them croutons.

hot pickle
10-09-2006, 05:40 PM
good luck jabar, much love for yeah dog, best of luck

Lucky
10-09-2006, 05:50 PM
...I'd hate to be wasting my time here at SoupRSalad.....
I love your work. Could you bring out more blueberry muffins, please?

nunusguy
10-09-2006, 05:58 PM
The same Johnathan Sullivan who was drafted #6 overall in the 2003 Draft by the Saints ? The busts just keep comin.
Good luck in NE Gaff !

Dawkins
10-09-2006, 06:33 PM

Gaffney had a rough camp, the biggest knock on him was that he couldn't get a handle on Reid's system. I think that's what ultimately did him in. McNabb liked him, but he just couldn't learn it so he was let go.

TexanSam
10-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Gaffney had a rough camp, the biggest knock on him was that he couldn't get a handle on Reid's system. I think that's what ultimately did him in. McNabb liked him, but he just couldn't learn it so he was let go.

It's not hurting McNabb any that's for sure. It's not the worst thing in the world to be a free agent pickup of the Pats though.

thunderkyss
10-09-2006, 06:52 PM

that I can believe......

TexanSam
10-09-2006, 10:45 PM
I heard it was because he poked Andy Reid in the belly and said, " Nothin' says lovin', like my poppin' fresh muffins." :fridge:

HAHAHA! That's great! Rep for you! :bananasplit:

TEXANS84
10-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Wow, just realized (Caldwell, Gaffney, Jackson) are all Patriot recievers and ex-Florida players.

Hmm....

Dawkins
10-10-2006, 03:46 AM
I heard it was because he poked Andy Reid in the belly and said, " Nothin' says lovin', like my poppin' fresh muffins." :fridge:

I can see that happening, but only if Gaffney didn't produce those muffins. Could be some truth to that... If only Gaffney had brought the muffins. :shades:

J-Storm
10-10-2006, 05:34 AM
Good luck to Gaff! I hope he makes a fist outta his move and things start to pick up for him. I'm not gonna jump on him now he's no longer here... people seem to have short memories when it comes to some of the guys we let go because of the past regime *ahem*...

TheOgre
10-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Another Florida receiver living below expectations. They are as bad as Penn State RB's.

Rex King
10-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Another Florida receiver living below expectations. They are as bad as Penn State RB's.

UmÖLarry Johnson? Curt Warner? Curtis Enis and Ki-Jana Carter both suffered torn ACLs in their rookie seasons, Carter in a pre-season game (granted Enis didnít set the world on fire in the half season he played before his injury), destroying their speed and cutting ability. Is Bennie Joppruís freak injury history going to stop you from ever drafting a Michigan TE again? Iím sure the Chiefs are glad they didnít follow your reasoning or lack of information.