PDA

View Full Version : The PUP List - How it works (Wong and Mathis)

gtexan02
10-09-2006, 12:36 PM
I have seen maybe 10 topics in which people ask whether Wong or Mathis will be ready for the Cowboys game, and so I thought I'd create this topic so people would stop asking.

Before the season began, Wong and Mathis were placed on the PUP or "Physically Unable to Perform" list. What does this mean?

From nfl.com
NFL rules allow teams to designate players as "Physically Unable to Perform." Once they are designated as such, they are prohibited from practicing with the team. They can, however, rehabilitate and participate in team meetings. If a player begins training camp on the PUP list, they can be moved to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player is not allowed to be placed on the PUP list if they start training camp on the active roster.

Players placed on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform are allowed to begin practicing with the team after the conclusion of the sixth regular-season weekend and continuing after the conclusion of the ninth regular-season weekend. The practice period is not to exceed 21 days. Any time during that 21-day period, teams are allowed to restore the player to the Reserve/PUP list or to the active roster.

So what does this mean for Wong/Mathis?
NEITHER will be back for the Cowboys game. Once on the PUP, you can't even practice with the team until the Monday following the week 6 game. That means the earliest they can return is week 7. Given that neither has been allowed to practice with the team AT ALL, I highly doubt either will be ready to go in week 7. If the Texans don't reactivate them by week 9, they are out for the remainder of the season.

I hope this helps.

chuckm
10-09-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm certainly no expert, but this

Players placed on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform are allowed to begin practicing with the team after the conclusion of the sixth regular-season weekend

could be interpreted another way ....

It's seems a bit inequitable for teams with early bye weeks to have to wait 7 weeks as opposed to teams with a late bye week .... although I guess it evens out now that I re-think it as a team with an early bye gets the returning player for an "extra" game ... dunno

Doug
10-09-2006, 12:47 PM
So, if my understanding is correct, they are capable of returning for the Jacksonville game?

the wonger need food
10-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Wong said that he would be suited up for the JAX game. If he regains his quickness and mobility this defense could really use him.

Based on everything we've heard Mathis is probably out until next year.

Meloy
10-09-2006, 01:15 PM
I think the bye week counts as part of the waiting period so all teams are treated the same.

gtexan02
10-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Based on this, here are some conclusions that should be made:
If Wong hasn't practiced at all with the team, and we have a new system in place, doesn't it seem unlikely that he would start 1 week after being back?

Ibar_Harry
10-09-2006, 01:20 PM
If Wong hasn't practiced at all with the team, and we have a new system in place, doesn't it seem unlikely that he would start 1 week after being back?

I don't think you can assume anything any more......

gtexan02
10-09-2006, 01:21 PM
True, true.

rmartin65
10-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Cool, thanks. I really want Wong and Mathis back.

Meloy
10-09-2006, 02:24 PM
If Wong hasn't practiced at all with the team, and we have a new system in place, doesn't it seem unlikely that he would start 1 week after being back?Good assumption. However, Wong is known for being an intelligent player that should have access to the new play book. He has played 2 of the 3 LB positions. If physically able, I could see him getting a few early reps to see how he performs and more plays depending on how he does. My 2 cents.

infantrycak
10-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Based on everything we've heard Mathis is probably out until next year.

What is everything? Kubiak last week said Mathis would be back 1-2 weeks after Wong.

gtexan02
10-09-2006, 04:14 PM
What is everything? Kubiak last week said Mathis would be back 1-2 weeks after Wong.

At least KR hasn't changed, seeing as how we have the same ST coach as lasst year. Therefore once Mathis is physically back, he shoul dbe good to go. Switching Wong from 3-4 MLB to 4-3 sam will take a lot of coaching time imo, and thats why i don't think we'll see Wong back any time soon

infantrycak
10-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Switching Wong from 3-4 MLB to 4-3 sam will take a lot of coaching time imo, and thats why i don't think we'll see Wong back any time soon

Wong has played OLB in a 4-3 before plus playing LLB in the Texans 3-4 plus dude went to Stanford and is smart. His learning the system time will be much shorter than most players.

HOU-TEX
10-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Wong has played OLB in a 4-3 before plus playing LLB in the Texans 3-4 plus dude went to Stanford and is smart. His learning the system time will be much shorter than most players.

I agree, in addition, he's probably been working with the defense since TC. He'll just have to translate what he's already learned and walked through to the field.:twocents:

jaayteetx
10-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Just wondering, does the NFL have spys in place to enforce these rules? What would stop the Texans from bringing some guys in, lets say late at night, and let
Wong get some reps in the practice bubble for instance? I say if your not cheating, your not trying!

gtexan02
10-09-2006, 06:12 PM
I agree, in addition, he's probably been working with the defense since TC. He'll just have to translate what he's already learned and walked through to the field.:twocents:

Reread the rules of the PUP. A player on PUP MAY NOT participate in any team activities except meetings. That means no practicing, etc.

Buffi2
10-09-2006, 06:20 PM
That means the earliest they can return is week 7. Given that neither has been allowed to practice with the team AT ALL, I highly doubt either will be ready to go in week 7. If the Texans don't reactivate them by week 9, they are out for the remainder of the season.

From the Dallas Morning News....
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D8KLC05O2.html

Kubiak said LB Kailee Wong should return for Houston's game against Jacksonville on Oct. 22. ... CB Demarcus Faggins, .... could also be available against the Jaguars. ... Pro Bowl kick returner Jerome Mathis will likely be out a few more weeks..... Houston signed guards Cody Douglas and Atlas Herrion to the practice squad and released guards Mike Brisiel and Doug Neinhuis from the unit.

This may be posted somewhere else - if it is, I'm sorry for a repeat.