PDA

View Full Version : Joppru Released

Runner
10-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Bennie Joppru just got released. Sorry, no link.

real
10-09-2006, 10:52 AM

Farewell Benny...

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
10-09-2006, 10:53 AM
say it ant so not Bennie.

Mr. White
10-09-2006, 10:54 AM
I wonder who'll be taking his roster spot.

MightyTExan
10-09-2006, 10:57 AM
http://a7.vox.com/6a00b8ea068c2edece00b8ea07098fdece-320pi

HomeBred_Texan
10-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Where did you hear this?

I searched for information and no one has it listed yet. I hope you are not starting a terrible rumor right now...

chuckm
10-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Where did you hear this?

I searched for information and no one has it listed yet. I hope you are not starting a terrible rumor right now...

Runner's track record speaks for itself ....

Good Luck Bennie

jerek
10-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Runner's track record speaks for itself ....

Good Luck Bennie

Ditto. He's well-sourced. Possible he's wrong but especially in light of Bennie's non-performance there's no reason to disagreee with him.

Mr. White
10-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Where did you hear this?

Some people around here know people. I've gathered that Runner is one of them.

A press release just hasn't come out yet. I remember we found out the same way about Robaire Smith getting released. I imagine we'll see a press release this afternoon.

HomeBred_Texan
10-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Ditto. He's well-sourced. Possible he's wrong but especially in light of Bennie's non-performance there's no reason to disagreee with him.

With the ability of Owen Daniels I wouldn't be suprised to see a couple more TE's released, LOL.... I am not arguing the source nor doubting it, I just wondered is all...

Tailgate
10-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Its all about Owen Daniels.

texanfan2002114
10-09-2006, 11:13 AM
As far as who will take his place, its going to be one of our injured players on the PUP since the is the 1st week they can come off the PUP, since this is the 1st week they can come off the PUP. Kali Wong, J. Mathis or Demarcus Faggins. Just calling my shot. No inside info or link.

Blake
10-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Sucks to hear. But 4 TE's is just to many. When are Wong and Mathis coming back?

Mr. White
10-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Does aybody have an idea of when Faggins gets back?

Marcus
10-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Watch Joppru get picked up by a team in our own division? :crying:

SAMURAITEXAN
10-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Wish you best bennie!!

NEROtheZERO
10-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Ahmad Carroll?

TexanSam
Awww man. I was hoping Bennie would succeed after all he's been through. After not seeing him on the field much during the season though, I had a feeling this would come sooner or later. Especially with the emergence of Owen Daniels.

jerek

FWIW my own sources confirmed this about 15 minutes ago.

Good call Runner.

Sucks that it didn't work out for Bennie. Like Seth Wand, he's a hard worker and you want to root for the kid.

TexanBacker93
10-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Ahmad Carroll?

I was wondering the same thing. I really don't know much about him, though.

Good luck, Bennie.

Texans Horror
10-09-2006, 11:55 AM
My source has confirmed this, too. Out with the old, in with the new regime. Too bad, too. I liked Joppru as a long snapper/TE/FB...

edo783
10-09-2006, 11:58 AM
Looks like the coaches are making bye week adjustments in people and maybe scheme.

Marcus
10-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Can anyone remember the name of that wide receiver that was cut by the Oilers, then got picked up by the Seahawks and became an All Pro for many many years?

Bennie's release today brings that back to me.

Edited: I remember now. Steve Largent.

Hulk75
10-09-2006, 01:38 PM
I think we are making room for Dwayne Careswell. Or Another Lineman, Winstons not ready and Ephriam is still hurt.

Doug
10-09-2006, 01:57 PM
My sources have confirmed this as well. Thanks Jerek and Runner! LOL

Hottoddie
10-09-2006, 02:04 PM
My sources have confirmed that they are not sources. :)

That's a shame about Bennie, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll pick up Robert McCune.

the wonger need food
10-09-2006, 02:09 PM
My sources confirm that this sucks for all of us out here that were pulling for him. Hope he lands somewhere and has a good career. If not, he's probably got enough money to play golf for the next 5 years or so.

Double Barrel
10-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Can anyone remember the name of that wide receiver that was cut by the Oilers, then got picked up by the Seahawks and became an All Pro for many many years?

heh...just our luck.

Good luck to BJ, though. He's had a tough road, and it would be great to see him land on his feet somewhere else.

Kaiser Toro
10-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Good luck to BJ, though. He's had a tough road, and it would be great to see him land on his feet somewhere else.

Hopefully that will be a safe and frictionless landing. :tease:

Ibar_Harry
10-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Smith is probably negoiating with another has been to replace BJ. Some people were talking about Van Pelt as having been here. Guess Kubiak wants him to replace Sage. May be he knows Carr is going to be hurt this week due to O-line failures. Sorry, but I'm getting very cynical in a hurry. I guess we will have to wait to see what the tooth fairy brings.

mexican_texan
10-09-2006, 02:24 PM
I want sources...do they sell them at walmart? :hides:

I think the Bears, Cards, or Bucs could pick him up.

gtexan02
10-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Now heres a depressing fact:
BJ was only an active member of the Texans organization while injured. The second he healed up, we sent him packing!

Kaiser Toro
10-09-2006, 02:32 PM
I guess we will have to wait to see what the tooth fairy brings.

If the tooth fairy brought us a win last week then I will keep leaving $1800 checks under my pillow to renew my PSL's every year.

TheOgre
10-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Ironically it was a Casserly pick (Owen Daniels) that did in Joppru. I wish him the best of luck. He seems due for some.

Texans Horror
10-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Smith is probably negoiating with another has been to replace BJ. Some people were talking about Van Pelt as having been here. Guess Kubiak wants him to replace Sage. May be he knows Carr is going to be hurt this week due to O-line failures. Sorry, but I'm getting very cynical in a hurry. I guess we will have to wait to see what the tooth fairy brings.

I don't think the player to be named will be a TE because Houston already has Putzier, Breuner, and Daniels in the lineup. My guess is that it also won't be anything the Texans NEED, like a lineman. Kubes is really rotating out backs, so I'm guessing we get another RB/FB or something. Makes as much sense as anything else...

TFL
10-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Maybe we are bringing up Chestor Taylor from the PS?

Mr. White
10-09-2006, 03:06 PM
610 just said that we'll try to sign him to the practice squad.

TexansLucky13
10-09-2006, 03:09 PM
http://a7.vox.com/6a00b8ea068c2edece00b8ea07098fdece-320pi

Agreed. Good luck Bennie!

hot pickle
10-09-2006, 03:10 PM
yeah, last night i was thinkin what ever happened to him, cause i havent seen him on the field to much, hopefully we get him to the pratice squad, but best of luck bennie

rmartin65
10-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Good luck Bennie. That would be pretty cool if we got him on the ps.

chuckm
10-09-2006, 03:26 PM
They just said on 610 that this is the guy we picked up ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/content?statsId=7139

real
10-09-2006, 03:32 PM

Another once upon a Green Bay guy...

DBCooper
10-09-2006, 03:34 PM
maybe the Jets will pick him up.

ok, bad joke.

HomeBred_Texan
10-09-2006, 03:37 PM

He is with the Saints now. They are not cutting him are they?

ESPN.com Content
September 14, 2006
Saints claim FB Leach off of waivers
The Saints acquired a second fullback in as many days, claiming former Green Bay Packer Vonta Leach off of waivers

If anything I see them making room on the roster for some of the guys to move off of the PUP list... Like Mathis

chuckm
10-09-2006, 03:44 PM
He is with the Saints now. They are not cutting him are they?

If anything I see them making room on the roster for some of the guys to move off of the PUP list... Like Mathis

I dunno but on the 2:20 PM 610 Sportsflash they said that he was picked up and they had a short blurb with him discussing how he was cut from Green Bay ...

they just repeated it at 2:40 .... also said they want Joppru to clear waivers and land on the Practice Squad .... Kubiak says it's a numbers thing .... Joppru isn't a special teams player ....

Kaiser Toro
10-09-2006, 03:52 PM
I really hope we get Leach. :rolleyes:

Meloy
10-09-2006, 04:00 PM
I really hope we get Leach. :rolleyes:Agreed. He was picked up by Saints Sept 14th. Did not take them long to decide, he didn't fit there.:shades:

Runner
10-09-2006, 04:01 PM
I guess Jop's cut is public knowledge now. I wanted to say one thing about this thread.

I normally wouldn't have posted something like this before it became public. However, I was as much as called a liar because I posted something a few days ago without saying how I knew it. At the time I indicated it wasn't that I couldn't identify a source, it was because I wouldn't. I thought I'd post this roster move before it became public to make my point.

The conclusions I draw from the things we talk about here are as likely to be wrong as anyone else's. However, I don't make up lies to support my position or to generate discussion.

Thank you to those who gave me the benefit of the doubt.

chuckm
10-09-2006, 04:06 PM
I really hope we get Leach. :rolleyes:

BWAH HAHAHA .... you card .... they just reported that Peek will be back this week too ...

Texans Horror
10-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Kubes is really rotating out backs, so I'm guessing we get another RB/FB or something. Makes as much sense as anything else...

Leach - RB. Bam!!! :hunter:

Please address rep to Obscure Sports Quarterly...

:yahoo:

Texans Horror
10-09-2006, 04:11 PM
I guess Jop's cut is public knowledge now. I wanted to say one thing about this thread.

I normally wouldn't have posted something like this before it became public. However, I was as much as called a liar because I posted something a few days ago without saying how I knew it. At the time I indicated it wasn't that I couldn't identify a source, it was because I wouldn't. I thought I'd post this roster move before it became public to make my point.

The conclusions I draw from the things we talk about here are as likely to be wrong as anyone else's. However, I don't make up lies to support my position or to generate discussion.

I have to admit that I was surprised to see such criticisms coming from people who have been on the boards a lot longer than me. When coming from you, I have never seen you post that player x is cut or added or whatever and it be false. Please keep giving your insider tips. It makes the board more interesting.

Mr. White
10-09-2006, 04:17 PM
I have to admit that I was surprised to see such criticisms coming from people who have been on the boards a lot longer than me. When coming from you, I have never seen you post that player x is cut or added or whatever and it be false. Please keep giving your insider tips. It makes the board more interesting.

^What he said.^

The reason why I'm on this board is because I want to know as much as possible about this team. The guys with insight around here are an awesome resource.

Thanks for sharing.

Meloy
10-09-2006, 04:18 PM

Thank you to those who gave me the benefit of the doubt.Hey Runner, when I read your post I thought wow, wonder where he heard that? It was not doubting your character just a thought. Maybe that happened with the other guy? Anyway thanks for your insight.

kcwilson
10-09-2006, 04:24 PM
I'd be more excited about losing Joppru if we were bringing back Wong or Faggins... which I don't think can happen until after this week's game against the 'girls.

Vonta Leach really doesn't move the needle for me. Jameel hasn't been a great part of the offense so having a pass catching fullback isn't all that valuable. Leach could be the boost in the run game to open a few more holes than Cook did.

thunderkyss
10-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Awww man. I was hoping Bennie would succeed after all he's been through. After not seeing him on the field much during the season though, I had a feeling this would come sooner or later. Especially with the emergence of Owen Daniels.

just a wild idea, with no basis in reality.......

But I bet he ends up in GB, giving Favre/Rogers a second option.

Meloy
10-09-2006, 04:34 PM
The Texans released TE Bennie Joppru Monday in order to sign FB Vonta Leach. But Kubiak said that if Joppru clears waivers--in other words, if no other team signs him to their active roster--then the Texans could be interested in signing Joppru to the practice squad.Ok, what does Benny have to do the remainder of this season to get resigned? I understand this is his last year on contract.

cpirone
10-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Here's the link guys

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2960&section=N%20Latest%20News

Kubiak did say after practice that they would love to get Bennie back on the PS. Leach, the new guy, is a full back who can also play special teams and with only one of our three tight ends playing special teams, Kubiak said it was tough to justify keeping Bennie on the roster. They tried him at fullback.h-back but his size didn't lend itself to that position.

He also said that the addition of Leach was not meant to be a shot at Cook, he said he's playing well.

phan1
10-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Casserly is slowly looksing worse and worse these days, eh? Oh well, good luck Bennie. I might smell some coaching draft bias here, but who knows? Bennie hasn't even seen the field in a game to my knowlege, and our 2nd rounder gets beat by a rookie 4th... I don't know what to say about that.

But a TE did have to leave the roster. I was wondering this whole time why we don't cut Bruner, but I guess he's more valuable the Bennie.

Buffi2
10-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Well, Leach's stats are certainly unstellar. This is the best we can do?

This reminds me...now, I'm old and my memory isn't great - but didn't the Oilers once upon a time have try-outs on the sideline for some position or other in the middle of a game? I'm beginning to have a deja vu experience here with Rbs and FBs and our lack thereof.

Texan Asylum
10-09-2006, 04:42 PM

You're rock solid in my book Runner. Never doubted you on ANY posts you've posted.:)

Texans Horror
10-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Casserly is slowly looksing worse and worse these days, eh? Oh well, good luck Bennie.

I don't see it being a sting against Casserly (I'm certainly not saying he made great moves either), but I think this is more of trying to get the right guy for the system. I agree with the million-and-one posts out there that say you can't argue that Joppru was a bad pick because you cannot predict an injury.

Well, Leach's stats are certainly unstellar. This is the best we can do?

Hey, my guess is the Texans would go for a position that they didn't need depth in. Glad to see that line positions, where depth is sorely lacking, are not being filled...

:sarcasm:

thunderkyss
10-09-2006, 05:52 PM
I don't see it being a sting against Casserly (I'm certainly not saying he made great moves either), but I think this is more of trying to get the right guy for the system. I agree with the million-and-one posts out there that say you can't argue that Joppru was a bad pick because you cannot predict an injury.

Hey, my guess is the Texans would go for a position that they didn't need depth in. Glad to see that line positions, where depth is sorely lacking, are not being filled...

:sarcasm:

Bennie..... IMHO, was a great single purpose TE. All our other guys are dual threats, including Bruenner who may not have speed, but at the goal line, he's got soft hands.

I'm curious to see how truthful Kubiak is about wanting Bennie on the practice squad..... for what reason?? In Case jeb, Bruenner, or Daniels gets hurt?? I don't see that.

Picking up the fullback??

Like it's been mentioned before, not much out there worth looking at. including OL. If we get another injury there, i have no clue what Kubes has got planned.

GP
10-09-2006, 07:18 PM

And thank you for being so extraordinarily humble about it (sarcasm).

Perhaps (and maybe I'm just crazy) but perhaps you started this thread for more than just the reason to give us a "scoop": Maybe some of your reasoning for releasing the ultra secretive data about a released player was to spite others because we (me, mostly) called you out on the whole Kubiak/Pitts situation since you wouldn't reveal the source that says Pitts was spelled by Kubiak for hateful reasons?

It's not a charge I'm leveling against you, runner...this is merely a question: Perhaps you started the thread and then bid your time on this thread just long enough to jump in here and say what you really wanted to say: I have sources and I know things you don't, and nanny-nanny boo-boo (sticks tongue out while saying it) and don't ever question my integrity again.

They say it's hard to really truly discern what someone "is trying to communicate" when the words are type up and on a screen vs. a real conversation whereby we can see facial expressions and the like. And I'm just looking at your post up there and I'm really trying to figure out if you're actually THAT angry that someone (me, chiefly) dared to question your accuracy and/or integrity.

The older I get, and the more I read the "my sources say" stuff--Be it in a newspaper or on this message board--the more I get uncomfortable with people who play the "I have sources game." It's honestly not a jealousy thing. But I am curiously becoming more unattracted to the idea of getting juicy gossip although I'll never know "who" is leaking the information.

I dunno. I think most times I'd rather just read it in an official article or through an interview where someone steps up and says "I'm (insert name) and this is what happened." That way it represents a clear picture of what happened and not "I heard this and I heard that." It's kinda' the same thing as guerilla warfare vs. meeting each other on a level playing field to fight it out for supremacy. Sometimes it can be dangerous for the populace to completely trust the "my sources say" situation. Call it cynicism, ICC.

A player getting released is different than trying to expose a coach for "unfair" or "unjust" methodology. News of the released player will get reported "formally" in the news media at a certain time, but the dirty gossip is a whole 'nother story to me. The coach has no way to refute it. It's just gossip at this point, IMO.

Oh, so that I can claim I'm staying on topic:

I had claimed that Kubiak, if it was true about what he did to Pitts, would've cut Joppru as soon as he was healthy enough to play. Well, I think there might be something to runner's theory about the guy in charge.

Kaiser Toro
10-09-2006, 07:28 PM

Perhaps (and maybe I'm just crazy) but perhaps you started this thread for more than just the reason to give us a "scoop": Maybe some of your reasoning for releasing the ultra secretive data about a released player was to spite others because we (me, mostly) called you out on the whole Kubiak/Pitts situation since you wouldn't reveal the source that says Pitts was spelled by Kubiak for hateful reasons?

It's not a charge I'm leveling against you, runner...this is merely a question: Perhaps you started the thread and then bid your time on this thread just long enough to jump in here and say what you really wanted to say: I have sources and I know things you don't, and nanny-nanny boo-boo (sticks tongue out while saying it) and don't ever question my integrity again.

They say it's hard to really truly discern what someone "is trying to communicate" when the words are type up and on a screen vs. a real conversation whereby we can see facial expressions and the like. And I'm just looking at your post up there and I'm really trying to figure out if you're actually THAT angry that someone (me, chiefly) dared to question your accuracy and/or integrity.

The older I get, and the more I read the "my sources say" stuff--Be it in a newspaper or on this message board--the more I get uncomfortable with people who play the "I have sources game." It's honestly not a jealousy thing. But I am curiously becoming more unattracted to the idea of getting juicy gossip although I'll never know "who" is leaking the information.

I dunno. I think most times I'd rather just read it in an official article or through an interview where someone steps up and says "I'm (insert name) and this is what happened." That way it represents a clear picture of what happened and not "I heard this and I heard that." It's kinda' the same thing as guerilla warfare vs. meeting each other on a level playing field to fight it out for supremacy. Sometimes it can be dangerous for the populace to completely trust the "my sources say" situation. Call it cynicism, ICC.

A player getting released is different than trying to expose a coach for "unfair" or "unjust" methodology. News of the released player will get reported "formally" in the news media at a certain time, but the dirty gossip is a whole 'nother story to me. The coach has no way to refute it. It's just gossip at this point, IMO.

I had claimed that Kubiak, if it was true about what he did to Pitts, would've cut Joppru as soon as he was healthy enough to play. Well, I think there might be something to runner's theory about the guy in charge.

So now that the Joppru has been sent on the waiver wire to roost I would suspect that you will look at Runner's "scuttlebutt" with a little less stink eye.

infantrycak
10-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Bennie..... IMHO, was a great single purpose TE.

That's exactly the opposite of what Bennie was supposed to be, i.e. a duel threat blocking, soft handed TE. Didn't pan out that way due to injury but let's not recast the guy.

thunderkyss
10-09-2006, 07:49 PM
That's exactly the opposite of what Bennie was supposed to be, i.e. a duel threat blocking, soft handed TE. Didn't pan out that way due to injury but let's not recast the guy.

You are sooo right.....

Maybe I should have said IMHO, Bennie was on par with Owen as a reciever, But subpar, to Owen, Bruenner, & Jeb as a blocking TE.

I haven't seen him in a lot of games, I haven't the privledge of watching practice. But from what I've seen If I had to let one go, it'd been Joppu.

Sorry you don't agree....

infantrycak
10-09-2006, 08:03 PM

Nice confusion of the issues. Your statement had nothing to do with who should be cut. It was an assertion of Joppru as a single threat TE. That simply is not accurate coming out of college when he was considered a high prospect duel threat TE.

Kaiser Toro
10-09-2006, 08:05 PM

You are sooo right.....

Maybe I should have said IMHO, Bennie was on par with Owen as a reciever, But subpar, to Owen, Bruenner, & Jeb as a blocking TE.

I haven't seen him in a lot of games, I haven't the privledge of watching practice. But from what I've seen If I had to let one go, it'd been Joppu.

Ever since Gado came aboard your guy's interchanges have been nothing short of Theater of the Absurd. :)

disaacks3
10-09-2006, 08:07 PM
That's exactly the opposite of what Bennie was supposed to be, i.e. a duel threat blocking, soft handed TE. Didn't pan out that way due to injury but let's not recast the guy. I hope we can sign him to the PS and eventually find out WHAT he's really capable of in a "real" game situation.

Lucky
10-09-2006, 08:18 PM
It was an assertion of Joppru as a single threat TE. That simply is not accurate coming out of college when he was considered a high prospect duel threat TE.

I was able to attend one of the few practices Joppru participated in as a rookie back in '03. Bennie looked like a decent sized TE, I'd guess around 260 lbs. He did a good job of blocking fellow rookie Antwan Peek, but with technique and positioning rather than power. Joppru caught the ball well, but he did fumble twice during 11-on-11. His big play of the night was on the final play of practice, catching a Kris Brown pass on a fake/busted field goal attempt. I left thinking that once he learned to secure the ball, Joppru could be the real deal. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

I also remember Bennie surprising a lot of "draft experts" when he showed up at the Senior Bowl weighing over 270 lbs. Most had thought Joppru's playing weight was around 250. Did Bennie put on too much weight too fast, possibly leading to his training camp hernia? Who knows? It's a shame for both Bennie and Texan fans that we'll never know how good he could have been.

Runner
10-09-2006, 08:39 PM
I hope we can sign him to the PS and eventually find out WHAT he's really capable of in a "real" game situation.

If Bennie makes it to the practice squad I don't know how long he'd stay there. He seems like a pretty good player to be up for grabs. Teams looking for a fast tight end with good hands will be eyeing him. He'd be available for the four year player minimum - $540K or so. Sounds like a rose among thorns to me.

By the way, cutting Joppru looks like a good football decision by Kubiak, IMO. I would have liked to see him play, but we weren't using him anyway and have good depth at tight end. He's not right for this team at this time. I think he'll be a player somewhere, but this looks right for the Texans, especially since we need to clear up some roster spots when people start coming off the PUP. I doubt Cook and Leach are both on the team when Wong and Mathis come back.

Ibar_Harry
10-09-2006, 08:51 PM
If Bennie makes it to the practice squad I don't know how long he'd stay there. He seems like a pretty good player to be up for grabs. Teams looking for a fast tight end with good hands will be eyeing him. He'd be available for the four year player minimum - $540K or so. Sounds like a rose among thorns to me.

Another big asset is his work ethic and he is not a locker room cancer. He should be gone in a heart beat. May be the Titans or the Jaguars will pick him up..............

uhcougar08
10-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Hey was Petey Faggins on the PUP list, because he is on the active roster. Vonta Leach is listed as on the Practice Squad. So, was he signed to be on the practice squad? Whats up with this?

Ibar_Harry
10-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Yes, we are becoming the Eastern version of the Broncos and Southern version of the Green Bay Packers. Have we really added a player of hugh dimensions from either team as yet. Putz has certainly not been an earth shaking aquistion. Dayne you can put in the same camp along with Gado. Moulds is my idea of a good aquistion and I doubt that Carr or AJ would feel differently.

I have been totally unimpressed with the talent so far booked by Smith. Casserly made his mistakes, but at least we got a player sometimes. Saleem is another example of adequate may be. I wondered where this FB came from and then I read Gado's comments and it all made sense. Hopefully he does block as well as Gado says, because Carr is going to need some help this coming weekend.

I will say there is a degree of certainty approaching 90+ % that the 1st play we have offensively will feature a blitz from at least the left side of the line. They will try to set the tone of the game defensively by blitzing and anybody who thinks they won't is very niave.

aj.
10-09-2006, 09:23 PM
I could be wrong -- and keep in mind this is only my lowly opinion (and I certainly don't want to state anything with such certainty or arrogance that it could in any way imply fact, or that I'm pulling things out of my you-know-what, or making things up) but I can't imagine there's a huge market for a 235 lb TE.

And Faggins started the year on the 53/

JohnGalt
10-09-2006, 09:24 PM

I have been watching closely the threads posted concerning Kubiak's, IMO, questionable personnel decisions lately. In those discussions, Runner made some solid observations citing inside information. It appeared to me he was called out and challenged. I believe that he stepped up to the plate and delivered a nice tidbit of information long before anyone could back it up.

Whether or not you agree with his observations, he deserves credit for this posting.

Runner
10-09-2006, 09:45 PM
I was able to attend one of the few practices Joppru participated in as a rookie back in '03. Bennie looked like a decent sized TE, I'd guess around 260 lbs. He did a good job of blocking fellow rookie Antwan Peek, but with technique and positioning rather than power. Joppru caught the ball well, but he did fumble twice during 11-on-11.

I also remember Bennie surprising a lot of "draft experts" when he showed up at the Senior Bowl weighing over 270 lbs. Most had thought Joppru's playing weight was around 250. Did Bennie put on too much weight too fast, possibly leading to his training camp hernia?

but I can't imagine there's a huge market for a 235 lb TE.

So what's the deal with his weight? I was quite surprised how light he came into camp this year. At 250 or so he could have competed better for a TE slot. Any theories?

Lucky
10-09-2006, 09:57 PM
I have been totally unimpressed with the talent so far booked by Smith.
Rick Smith took the GM job post-free agency period, post-draft. You might want to cut the guy some slack.
So what's the deal with his weight? I was quite surprised how light he came into camp this year. At 250 or so he could have competed better for a TE slot. Any theories?
Three consecutive years of rehab probably kept Joppru from being able to train as much as he would have liked. Plus, maybe he liked his chances of staying away from leg injuries by not carrying as much upper body weight. Bennie will likely need that extra 15 lbs to make it at TE/HB.

Goldeagle
10-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Another wasted pick by Casserly

Texans86
10-09-2006, 10:14 PM
Another wasted pick by Casserly

Hindsight is always 20/20. Joppru had no injury history before he was drafted, and no one can blame Casserly for that. It is unfortunate that Joppru doesn't fit in this offense, but I hope he gets picked up somewhere else. I feel he deserves a shot to prove himself somewhere.

Runner
10-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Three consecutive years of rehab probably kept Joppru from being able to train as much as he would have liked. Plus, maybe he liked his chances of staying away from leg injuries by not carrying as much upper body weight. Bennie will likely need that extra 15 lbs to make it at TE/HB.

I'd go with the second reason. It seems that he could have kept working his upper body, at least the year of the knee injury. I think it was a conscious decision t lose weight. If that's the case, he needs to decide to build back up. 15 pounds isn't that much for a guy his height.

mexican_texan
10-09-2006, 10:21 PM
As more teams install the H-back position into their playbooks, the demand for players like Joppru will increase...or begin.

Hervoyel
10-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Hindsight is always 20/20. Joppru had no injury history before he was drafted, and no one can blame Casserly for that. It is unfortunate that Joppru doesn't fit in this offense, but I hope he gets picked up somewhere else. I feel he deserves a shot to prove himself somewhere.

You are of course 100% correct. Anyone who faults Casserly for picking a guy with absolutely no history of injury who then spent three years injured is talking nonsense. Joppru was not in any way a bad pick. Through apparently no fault of his own he couldn't make the roster due to repeated injury.

I have to point out though that as much as I agree with you (no sarcasm here at all, I really do agree with you) I'm getting tired of looking at picks going out the door. Whether they were poor choices, don't fit the system, or are simply too far behind because of injuries I just don't care anymore.

I'm looking at the past and all I see is Gaffney, Hill, Wells, Joppru, Wand, Ragone, all those picks given up for Jason Babin, and Morency.

It's tough to look back at the real "meat" of just about every draft this team has participated in and to see that we basically got nothing from most of it.

sakebomb
10-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Yet another 2nd round draft pick released. If you want an answer why we still suck so bad...............there it is. Our draft has been horrible (except this year of course).

Runner
10-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Our draft has been horrible (except this year of course).

I don't know, that darn Casserly used a third rounder on a guy who was going to break a leg in his second game. Why would Charlie do something so stupid? :rolleyes:

TexansSeminole
10-09-2006, 10:55 PM
I'm looking at the past and all I see is Gaffney, Hill, Wells, Joppru, Wand, Ragone, all those picks given up for Jason Babin, and Morency.

It's tough to look back at the real "meat" of just about every draft this team has participated in and to see that we basically got nothing from most of it.

I agree with you.

On Joppru, he will be a servicable player for some team this year or next. He can play in the NFL.

beerlover
10-10-2006, 12:50 AM
I wish BJ all the best & hope he finds his niche somewhere in football, too much untapped potential wasted because of freak injury's. So what he did not work out for the Texans, who have had more than their share of bad luck, I can see Kubiak/Smith drafting a proven blocker/TE in some future draft repeating the process all over again, hopefully with healthier results.

Second Honeymoon
10-10-2006, 01:04 AM
Goodbye Joppru, We hardly knew thee

Doug ftw

Heywood
10-10-2006, 02:18 AM

not even joppru's mother would draw such a ridiculous analogy. largent could play, joppru can't. largent was healthy, joppru isn't.

joppru was one of the worst draft picks in recent NFL history. he was drafted 4 rounds too early by a team with glaring needs elsewhere.

thunderkyss
10-10-2006, 06:34 AM
Nice confusion of the issues. Your statement had nothing to do with who should be cut. It was an assertion of Joppru as a single threat TE. That simply is not accurate coming out of college when he was considered a high prospect duel threat TE.

for me, the issue is that you may very well have seen something at practice sometime in the last couple of years, that would have you believe he is a true dual threat TE.

I have not. & I have not seen it on game day.

I've seen Owen, Jeb, and Bruenner Block better than Joppru on game day.

I've Seen Joppru catch a ball in the preseason, I've seen him stretch the field. I've not seen him Block well........ at least I can't remember

threetoedpete
10-10-2006, 08:05 AM
Another once upon a Green Bay guy...

Daja Vu all over again. I wonder which frontline starter this guy will I.R.?

threetoedpete
10-10-2006, 08:08 AM
not even joppru's mother would draw such a ridiculous analogy. largent could play, joppru can't. largent was healthy, joppru isn't.

joppru was one of the worst draft picks in recent NFL history. he was drafted 4 rounds too early by a team with glaring needs elsewhere.

Think he got more than a fair chance. I wonder how much compensation/ retirement Lopez figgures Beanie requires ? Inquiring minds want to know .

kingh99
10-10-2006, 10:33 AM
What's the starting rate for our first 4 year draft choices now? Like 10%? Unreal.

kingh99
10-10-2006, 10:34 AM
I could be wrong -- and keep in mind this is only my lowly opinion (and I certainly don't want to state anything with such certainty or arrogance that it could in any way imply fact, or that I'm pulling things out of my you-know-what, or making things up) but I can't imagine there's a huge market for a 235 lb TE.

And Faggins started the year on the 53/

Looks like Capers and Casserly had the market cornered on tweeners. Peek, Joppru, Babin. Man.

Kaiser Toro
10-10-2006, 10:34 AM
What's the starting rate for our first 4 year draft choices now? Like 10%? Unreal.

It is and that is why the former regime and most of their players are gone.

Runner
10-10-2006, 10:59 AM
Looks like Capers and Casserly had the market cornered on tweeners. Peek, Joppru, Babin. Man.

They aren't the only ones. Mario - all positions on the d-line. Weaver - end/tackle. Salaam - swing tackle. Winston - swing tackle. McKinney - guard/center. Bedell - guard/tackle.

They've already moved away from the TE/FB combo and the move Mario around every play scenario. Maybe it will turn out better this time around.

Chance_C
10-10-2006, 12:19 PM
for me, the issue is that you may very well have seen something at practice sometime in the last couple of years, that would have you believe he is a true dual threat TE.

I have not. & I have not seen it on game day.

I've seen Owen, Jeb, and Bruenner Block better than Joppru on game day.

I've Seen Joppru catch a ball in the preseason, I've seen him stretch the field. I've not seen him Block well........ at least I can't remember

Yeah, and he had so many opportunities to show that. Surely all those practices and game days he would have shown us something by now, right? :confused:

jerek
10-10-2006, 12:59 PM
They aren't the only ones. Mario - all positions on the d-line. Weaver - end/tackle. Salaam - swing tackle. Winston - swing tackle. McKinney - guard/center. Bedell - guard/tackle.

They've already moved away from the TE/FB combo and the move Mario around every play scenario. Maybe it will turn out better this time around.

I liked the move-Mario idea on paper but so far it looked rough those first games. Perhaps as he continues to improve they will be able to do it down the road, but better him become a stellar DE than an average JOAT.

Runner
10-10-2006, 01:22 PM
I liked the move-Mario idea on paper but so far it looked rough those first games. Perhaps as he continues to improve they will be able to do it down the road, but better him become a stellar DE than an average JOAT.

I too wouldn't mind seeing him move around after he establishes himself at end. Even then I wouldn't move him around all that much. Just a few key plays a game to mess up the offense.

We just need to wait until that idea's time has come.

Ibar_Harry
10-10-2006, 10:40 PM
I say that sort of tounge in cheek, but I guess its just another one of those Kubiak comments that don't mean didly squat.

dat_boy_yec
10-10-2006, 11:00 PM
They signed two guards.
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/

I don't think BJ will make it to the practice squad even if he does clear waivers. Just a thought, but saying that really doesn't make sense. I mean when would they bring him back up? Owens is obviously here for the long haul I just can't see him (BJ) coming back.

mexican_texan
10-11-2006, 12:03 AM
They signed two guards.
http://www.houstonprofootball.com/

I don't think BJ will make it to the practice squad even if he does clear waivers. Just a thought, but saying that really doesn't make sense. I mean when would they bring him back up? Owens is obviously here for the long haul I just can't see him (BJ) coming back.
Joppru can be our X-factor at H-back/TE. Long shot, but possible.

Ibar_Harry
10-11-2006, 11:19 PM
I understand he is signing with the Bears. Looks like he will get an opportunity to play on a playoff team along with Berrian......

kfranco_utexas
10-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Now wouldnt it SUCK if he goes to another team and becomes a probowler:brickwall

cuppacoffee
10-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Yeah, and he had so many opportunities to show that. Surely all those practices and game days he would have shown us something by now, right? :confused:

I am a Joppru fan also.

But BJ came out smelling like a rose.

Three years drawing a good salary while injured, cut from a bad team, and now is positioned to possibly earn a super bowl ring. :whip:

:coffee:

Bearfan Blue and Orange
10-12-2006, 02:26 PM
I understand he is signing with the Bears. Looks like he will get an opportunity to play on a playoff team along with Berrian......

He is signed to our practice squad.

Runner
10-12-2006, 02:40 PM
He is signed to our practice squad.

More on BJ and the Bears here:

http://forums.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?p=466592#post466592