PDA

View Full Version : Harrington to start today

kastofsna
10-08-2006, 10:22 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2617505

oh boy.

Dr. Toro
10-08-2006, 10:29 AM
I don't get this. This has nothing to do with his shoulder, it's gotta be about his knee and mobility.

Culpepper is no saint, but it's my understanding he worked really hard to get back from his knee injury, and he finally seemed to be improving a little bit. As bad as the media has made him out to be, he's got a 77 passer rating and has a horrendous O-Line. Ronnie Brown's not doing anything either, why isn't he getting benched.

Unless Saban really believes he's helping Daunte by giving him some more time to rest the knee, I don't understand this move. Culpepper has not been good, but line play seems to be their biggest problem.

kastofsna
10-08-2006, 10:38 AM
a lot of logic in that post, toro. i'm starting to question saban more and more these days. lots of "interesting" decisions since he's taken over.

mexican_texan
10-08-2006, 10:38 AM
I don't get this. This has nothing to do with his shoulder, it's gotta be about his knee and mobility.

Culpepper is no saint, but it's my understanding he worked really hard to get back from his knee injury, and he finally seemed to be improving a little bit. As bad as the media has made him out to be, he's got a 77 passer rating and has a horrendous O-Line. Ronnie Brown's not doing anything either, why isn't he getting benched.

Unless Saban really believes he's helping Daunte by giving him some more time to rest the knee, I don't understand this move. Culpepper has not been good, but line play seems to be their biggest problem.
Ronnie Brown is this year's Domanick Davis. He just didn't do much against the lowly Texans D.

Good luck...you'll need it Fins.

kastofsna
10-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Ronnie Brown is this year's Domanick Davis. He just didn't do much against the lowly Texans D.

Good luck...you'll need it Fins.
is that a compliment? because brown is our best player on offense right now. he's doing everything he can.

Dr. Toro
10-08-2006, 11:16 AM
a lot of logic in that post, toro. i'm starting to question saban more and more these days. lots of "interesting" decisions since he's taken over.

I don't know a lot about Saban, but he seems to be shooting from the hip a little bit too much. All week I thought this Harrington stuff was some sort of motivational ploy to get Culpepper back to where he should be. I mean, do they really believe Harrington is the answer... the dude's got a heck of an arm... but he pretty much has a career record of doing exactly what Culpepper has done this year. Culpepper on the other hand, had a top 5 All-Time career passer rating coming into this year (yes, I know Moss helped him out).

I'm scratching my head, this move doesn't make Miami better, and unless Culpepper is in imminent danger of seriously hurting himself, I'd take him any day over Joey. If they're 1-4 next week, it really won't matter if Culpepper is healthier because he sat out today. And if they win, they're stuck on the wrong end of a QB controversy with a guy who hasn't ever played to potential and has been a major headcase as their incumbent starter.

Mario Williams was a bust after 3 games, so I guess it's only fitting that Culpepper is washed up after 4 subpar performances coming off of major knee surgery. Half-lifes are getting a lot shorter in the NFL these days... if Vince Young wins at Indy today, I'm sure we'll hear about how he's the best QB in the AFC South.

kastofsna
10-08-2006, 12:58 PM
it's 3rd and 8, there's a false start making it 3rd and 13, then harrington tries to force it into double coverage to get the first down, and asante samuel intercepts. here's the problem: the line sucks. the other problem: harrington makes dumb decisions like that. culpepper hasn't been great this year, but he hasn't forced any passes into double coverage. he doesn't do that. he'd dump it off to brown or the under guy, and while that doesn't get you the first down, that wins you the field position game. this is why harrington shouldn't be in the game.

Napa Auto Parts
10-08-2006, 01:42 PM
im not watching the game but i have one question are they running almost every offensive play out the shotgun like they did againts the Texans lol that was funny culpepper is awfull i think he came back to soon.

kastofsna
10-08-2006, 01:45 PM
im not watching the game but i have one question are they running almost every offensive play out the shotgun like they did againts the Texans lol that was funny culpepper is awfull i think he came back to soon.
there's a fair amount out of the shotgun. lots of very quick passes.

edo783
10-08-2006, 01:53 PM
there's a fair amount out of the shotgun. lots of very quick passes.

Kind of what ya do when the O-line isn't worth squat.

kastofsna
10-08-2006, 02:28 PM
we did that a lot last year with frerotte. it generally worked. doesn't work with culpepper behind this line.

Dr. Toro
10-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Watched the game today... Harrington wasn't awful, but clearly he's not the answer and Culpepper wasn't the problem. When Wes Welker is your best weapon you're in trouble... no offense, I like the guy, works hard and what not, but everything with Miami is underneath. Can't streatch the field, can't run the ball, safeties do whatever they want, Wes Welker leads the team in receptions. Simple formula. Joey was slapping five on the sidelines after the game... didn't seem to be too upset with his effort. Dude's just not good and certainly not what we call a "winner".

They gotta establish a run game or they won't be scoring TDs. I have no idea what Saban was doing today playing Harrington unless he was conceding the loss to NE. Defense played well, but Harrington's picks weren't helpful.

By the way, whether it's Mularkey or the line play to blame, Miami is the least exciting team to watch in football. If I see another 5 yard dump pass I'm gonna puke.

kastofsna
10-08-2006, 03:52 PM
when you have a 2 to 1 pass/run ratio you're not going to win. especially if your QB is joey harrington and you're only down 3 points. what a horrible gameplan. and all the damn penalties. harrington wasn't bad, but he threw two horrible passes that resulted in INT's, and that's his game.

i hope saban legitimately benched culpepper for this game because of a shoulder, not because he thought harrington was better.

Dr. Toro
10-08-2006, 05:07 PM
Dan Marino "Good news for Miami, though, Harrington looked pretty solid."

What game did he watch?

kastofsna
10-08-2006, 05:22 PM
i don't think marino has ever said that any miami QB since he's retired has played poorly. it's amazing.

mexican_texan
10-08-2006, 09:20 PM
is that a compliment? because brown is our best player on offense right now. he's doing everything he can.
He was 33% of our offense and very underrated. He once had more overall yards than most RBs and it went unnoticed.

thunderkyss
10-08-2006, 10:08 PM
I don't know a lot about Saban, but he seems to be shooting from the hip a little bit too much. All week I thought this Harrington stuff was some sort of motivational ploy to get Culpepper back to where he should be. I mean, do they really believe Harrington is the answer... the dude's got a heck of an arm...

I've never known joey to have a "hell of an arm", he's a gamer, and he makes things happen. Kinda hard coming into a game with a new team against the NewEngland Patriots.

But I don't think Saban is replacing Cullpepper with Harrington for any real length of time. Anybody who leaves their big money QB behind a line that has let him be sacked 18 times in 4 games is wreckless, and cruel.

That, and it's easier to change 1 player as opposed to changing 5.

it's 3rd and 8, there's a false start making it 3rd and 13, then harrington tries to force it into double coverage to get the first down, and asante samuel intercepts. here's the problem: the line sucks. the other problem: harrington makes dumb decisions like that. culpepper hasn't been great this year, but he hasn't forced any passes into double coverage. he doesn't do that. he'd dump it off to brown or the under guy, and while that doesn't get you the first down, that wins you the field position game. this is why harrington shouldn't be in the game.

You would think it is common sense, & you shouldn't have to tell Joey things like that. But... he was in Detroit, and he was playing for guys telling him that those are the kinds of plays that he has to make.

Hopefully Saban will explain to joey that sometimes it's better to just throw the ball away.

But with that situation, and the situation the Dolphins are in(1-4) I seriously doubt it.

is that why teams use the shotgun?? Hmm. McNabb, Peyton, and Brunnell were in the shotgun quite a bit when they faced us...... especially McNabb & Brunnell.....

I don't think I've ever seen DavidCarr in the shotgun.

hmm.......

kastofsna
10-09-2006, 07:00 AM
some coaches are against the shotgun completely. jon gruden and mike holmgren, namely.