PDA

View Full Version : A little dose of reality on the Texans' schedule

nunusguy
10-07-2006, 10:54 AM
"The Texans began with three of their first four games at home. Now they have to play six of eight on the road, beginning at Dallas on Oct. 15.
During that upcoming stretch, the Texans play two home games against the Jaguars (Oct. 22) and the Bills (Nov. 19).
After the Jacksonville game, they play three consecutive road games against Tennessee, the New York Giants and Jacksonville"
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4242362.html
We've got a lot of goofey people on the Board who like to flap their gums
and say silly things like the Texans might have a .500 season. Then theres
the ones who are smoking the really good stuff who say we will be in the
playoffs this year. Right !
Here's a little dose of reality from Hollywood McClain about just how tough
our schedule is, because its only getting tougher with this long string of
mostly road games. Don't forget, against good teams, we stunk it up and
were not even competitive. It took the Dolphins to play down to our level and
give us a chance.
Many of us predicted we'd be fortunate to have a single win thru the Cowboys game. Well, as far as I'm concerned, the best case scenerio has
happened.

texan_fan_in_tampa_bay
10-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Well, they should beat Tennessee, but other than that I see a bunch of losses. Realistically, this looks like it's going to be a 3-13 kind of year. It's going to take some time for Kubiak to put this thing together the way he wants it.

Kaiser Toro
10-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Are you suggesting a 1-15 season?

Bamaborn-Texasbred
10-07-2006, 11:03 AM
"The Texans began with three of their first four games at home. Now they have to play six of eight on the road, beginning at Dallas on Oct. 15.
During that upcoming stretch, the Texans play two home games against the Jaguars (Oct. 22) and the Bills (Nov. 19).
After the Jacksonville game, they play three consecutive road games against Tennessee, the New York Giants and Jacksonville"
give us a chance.
Many of us predicted we'd be fortunate to have a single win thru the Cowboys game. Well, as far as I'm concerned, the best case scenerio has
happened.

And?

TexansLucky13
10-07-2006, 11:12 AM
And?

Yea.... I'm waiting for the punchline here myself.

I am still predicting a 7-9. We can get 6 more wins.

thunderkyss
10-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Well, I admit, I was hoping for a little more drama in Philly, & Indy, Philly still getting over T.O., and Peyton & Dungy still trying decide who runs that team. I saw opportunities to steal some early wins. But alas, it didn't go my way.

Washington, & Miami, I didn't beleive they were as good as people were saying(still don't).

Gameplanning, playcalling, and dumb mistakes killed us in our first 4 games.

We had the opportunity to keep those games close, but our offense stuttered, and our Defenses made mistakes against the best in the league.

if we'd have played perfect football, we could have won all those games.

I know it's pretty silly to expect any team, especially one as young as ours, to play perfect football, but to not expect us to get better as the year goes on??

Dallas, we'll more than likely loose that one. I expect Kubiak to make several changes, personnell(??) wise, play selection, strategies, and maybe even our offensive philosophy.... who knows?? & Dallas won't play around.

But Jacksonville?? their no better than Miami.... there defense is tough, but their offense is spotty..... who knows how they'll play?? Good one game, blah... the next. I still beleive we will sweep them.

Tenessee?? Just like we were the get-well-pill for Washington, Tennessee is going to really help our season.

When it's all said and done, I believe we'll end up with a better record than NYG....

nunusguy
10-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Realistically, this looks like it's going to be a 3-13 kind of year.
Unless a team emerges from the bye week that is substantially different than the one that played the first 4 games, I would say that's telling it like it is.

Texans_Chick
10-07-2006, 11:54 AM
The Texans are the only team in the league that have a stretch of 6 of 8 on the road along with having a stretch of 3 games in a row on the road.

It's not cool for the team, and it is uncool for the fans.

That being said, I think it is a little hard to say what kinda team the Texans are. They have played the 4th hardest schedule in the league so far while trying to implement a new scheme and incorporating a buncha new players.

The Dolphins are not a good team, but their defense is pretty good.

Last year, the offense spun further outta control because the Pendry stuff was a complete joke.

Do the Texans get better as the season progresses? Do they come together as a team on the road, or do they stink? Preseason, they looked better on the road. Yeah, they looked terrible in Indy, but they wouldn't be the only team that has stunk it up there.

aj.
10-07-2006, 12:54 PM
We'll see what they're made of during the next 8. Sometimes teams are 'made' during times like this. No sense in whining about the schedule. It is what it is. They should beat TN and Oak. If they can steal another one somewhere and go 3-5 during the stretch and be sitting at 4-8 after 12. Then take out TN and Cleve over the last 4 to finish 6-10 ... that looks about right. I said 7-9 before the season started.

I didn't realize I was watching Miami play down to our level. They aren't a good team right now. Their offensive line is terrible and Culpepper is shell of his former self -- probably trying to come back just a bit soon from his seriously ripped up knee.

nunusguy
10-07-2006, 01:07 PM
I didn't realize I was watching Miami play down to our level.
Why, I heard John McClain say at the beginning of the year that Miami was going to represent the AFC in the SB this year. And I believe everything McClain says. Don't you ?

TexanSam
10-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Why, I heard John McClain say at the beginning of the year that Miami was going to represent the AFC in the SB this year. And I believe everything McClain says. Don't you ?

Well you can't just pick on McClain for this. A lot of people thought the Dolphins would be an upper-echelon team this season, especially after winning their final six games last year to finish 9-7. So it's not like John McClain chose the Cleveland Browns to go to the Super Bowl. It was a reasonable pick at the time he said it.

As for our schedule, yes having 6 out of 8 games on the road sucks, but I think the hardest part of the schedule is over with. We always seems to play Jacksonville tough regardless of the records. The New York Giants don't seem to be playing very well and may be the worst team in the NFC East. The Jets and Bills are much better than last season, but they aren't as good as Washington or Indianopolis.

ArlingtonTexan
10-07-2006, 04:15 PM
We'll see what they're made of during the next 8. Sometimes teams are 'made' during times like this. No sense in whining about the schedule. It is what it is. They should beat TN and Oak. If they can steal another one somewhere and go 3-5 during the stretch and be sitting at 4-8 after 12. Then take out TN and Cleve over the last 4 to finish 6-10 ... that looks about right. I said 7-9 before the season started.

I didn't realize I was watching Miami play down to our level. They aren't a good team right now. Their offensive line is terrible and Culpepper is shell of his former self -- probably trying to come back just a bit soon from his seriously ripped up knee.

I would be very happy with 6-10, even if some of the 10 were pretty bad games. I think that Carr, Johnson and the offense would have to continue to improve and that the defense won't be the worst one in the league for us to accomplish this.

Big J
10-07-2006, 04:48 PM
I was going to post something the other day describing the exact same thing this post is getting at.

Essentially, this message board is more volatile then a junk bonds market. When we lost our first 3 games all I saw was depression, misery, and the feelings of a lost cause. The people saying we could go 13-3, 12-4, etc. were no where to be found. Then we beat Miami, who has only beaten Tenn. in a close one, and the incredibly retarded optimist pop back into the picture.

Look, I see myself as a realist. If we finish with a pick above #8 i will be suprised. No we shouldnt finish last, but come on people.

Look at this season as a way for our many rookies to gain experience and form a great foundation for the years to come. Mario I am not totally sold on but he should develop eventually, DeMeco is going to be a pro-bowler some day, and the others show promise.

Please dont judge our team on such a small amount of games. We played some real good teams and a real ****ty one. Lets wait and see how we fare against cleveland, oakland, and tenn.

NEROtheZERO
10-07-2006, 05:22 PM
While having 6 out of 8 games on the road seems brutal they are not exactly against SB contenders. Tenn, NYJ, and Oakland are all very winnable games. Throw in the Buffalo home game, the Tenn home game, and the season finale in Reliant against the Browns and I think we build some considerable momentum for a strong 2007 campaign.

I'm sticking with my 6-10 prediction.

thunderkyss
10-07-2006, 08:36 PM
I was going to post something the other day describing the exact same thing this post is getting at.

Essentially, this message board is more volatile then a junk bonds market. When we lost our first 3 games all I saw was depression, misery, and the feelings of a lost cause. The people saying we could go 13-3, 12-4, etc. were no where to be found. Then we beat Miami, who has only beaten Tenn. in a close one, and the incredibly retarded optimist pop back into the picture.

look here Mr. 27 posts... I predicted us going 13-3 before the season started, and I'm staying with my prediction. I was here after every loss, and I'm still here after the win, saying the same thing.

I'm a realist. I can't imagine our coach telling our team to forget about winning more than 5 games. to go out there, and do your best, but don't get excited if we don't win. I'd be disappointed if after a loss, the guys on our team are slapping each other on the ass, saying, "Don't worry man, we aren't a very good team. We weren't supposed to win that one anyway."

If that's the way they feel, then we need to get rid of everyone of them, and hold try-outs in the parking lot.

I'm a realist. I understand that we have talent on this team, and we've got smart guys holding the clipboards. They believe we can win every game, we should as well.

We are young, no doubt, we've got a lot of learning to do, I get that. & we are going to make mistakes that will cost us some games. I'm okay with that. I know we won't win out, that is unrealistic, but I believe we can win everyone. To not think so would be insane.

If after a game, Kubiak comes to the Podium, and says, "Well, just like Big J said, we don't have much of a team, no talent, and our coaches just don't get it. There was no reason to believe we'd win. We're only out here working on next season" Then I'd guit rooting for the Texans, and so should you.

The locker room IMHO, should have these same ups and downs that we have on this MB. That's sports, that's the way it goes. A good coach fires them up at the beginning of the season. A good coach has them believing they can go 16-0. A good team is disappointed, downright mad, when they lose one. A good coach picks them up, and makes them believe they can & will win the next one.

Did you just call me retarded??

Please dont judge our team on such a small amount of games. We played some real good teams and a real ****ty one. Lets wait and see how we fare against cleveland, oakland, and tenn.

STill, you're looking at it all wrong. We've gotten better each game, on both sides of the ball. It's hard to see, when you start off with McNabb, then Peyton, then ClintonPortis...... but we've done little things more right after each game.

Dallas is going to look like Miami..... since we will be making more changes, hopefully solidifying our offensive & defensive lines. If we win, and I think we will, it will be on emotion.

Jacksonville, will be the first game that we'll see our team, and from then on, watch out.

We've got all the right pieces, and we've got a young but talented coaching staff.

we'll have a very good football team before the season is over, and will win a bunch of games along the way.

TK_Gamer
10-07-2006, 09:12 PM
look here Mr. 27 posts... I predicted us going 13-3 before the season started, and I'm staying with my prediction. I was here after every loss, and I'm still here after the win, saying the same thing.

I'm a realist. I can't imagine our coach telling our team to forget about winning more than 5 games. to go out there, and do your best, but don't get excited if we don't win. I'd be disappointed if after a loss, the guys on our team are slapping each other on the ass, saying, "Don't worry man, we aren't a very good team. We weren't supposed to win that one anyway."

If that's the way they feel, then we need to get rid of everyone of them, and hold try-outs in the parking lot.

I'm a realist. I understand that we have talent on this team, and we've got smart guys holding the clipboards. They believe we can win every game, we should as well.

We are young, no doubt, we've got a lot of learning to do, I get that. & we are going to make mistakes that will cost us some games. I'm okay with that. I know we won't win out, that is unrealistic, but I believe we can win everyone. To not think so would be insane.

If after a game, Kubiak comes to the Podium, and says, "Well, just like Big J said, we don't have much of a team, no talent, and our coaches just don't get it. There was no reason to believe we'd win. We're only out here working on next season" Then I'd guit rooting for the Texans, and so should you.

The locker room IMHO, should have these same ups and downs that we have on this MB. That's sports, that's the way it goes. A good coach fires them up at the beginning of the season. A good coach has them believing they can go 16-0. A good team is disappointed, downright mad, when they lose one. A good coach picks them up, and makes them believe they can & will win the next one.

STill, you're looking at it all wrong. We've gotten better each game, on both sides of the ball. It's hard to see, when you start off with McNabb, then Peyton, then ClintonPortis...... but we've done little things more right after each game.

Dallas is going to look like Miami..... since we will be making more changes, hopefully solidifying our offensive & defensive lines. If we win, and I think we will, it will be on emotion.

Jacksonville, will be the first game that we'll see our team, and from then on, watch out.

We've got all the right pieces, and we've got a young but talented coaching staff.

we'll have a very good football team before the season is over, and will win a bunch of games along the way.

what he said.......

powerfuldragon
10-08-2006, 10:58 AM
wait... so we're playing jacksonville 9 times?

NEROtheZERO
10-08-2006, 12:21 PM
13-3, a realist?

Get real.

gtexan02
10-08-2006, 03:22 PM
Whats the point ofthis again?

Big J
10-08-2006, 03:43 PM

First of all, wow. Just because you have 3000+ replies does not mean I should listen to your all knowing understanding of the Texans or give you an ounce of credibility.

Second, we are both Texans fans. Do I expect Kubiak to just quit trying and say forget this season? Hell no. Do I think we are a strong football team right now? No. Will we improve? Clearly we will. But I still dont think it will be enough improvement to beat some teams on our schedule that you think we can beat.

I could be wrong and by all means I hope your prediction is right. But I highly doubt it and to win the rest of the games is incredibly unlikely. But hey watching the Titans right now, anything can happen.

CoogBull
10-08-2006, 04:11 PM
I have always been a happy moderate in this debate.

I did not get caught up in the hype after the preseason because I could see the glaring holes in the team. I was looking for an improved season and hoped that we would at least break even, but a few more wins than last year will make me happy as long as we look better.

That being said, I think we bottomed out against the Redskins. Like an addict, a bad football teams needs to hit rock bottom. The Texans hit it against D.C. and things can only get better.

I'm never going to get down on my Texans. Sure I am disappointed with their play, but it is a long season.

Always remember, the horrible team that you are ripping right now may be the team you are exalting in four years. The seeds of victory are sown in defeat.

Teams in this league rise and fall. The Bengals, Bears, Seahawks, and Saints seem to be on the upswing right now, while former powerhouses like the Titans, Bucs, Packers, and Vikings are on down slope.

In four or five years I see the Texans taking the AFC South. This will be due to our offensive muscle built on Carr, Johnson, and a yet to be determined running back. Our defense will be led by the pro-bowl threesome Williams, Ryans, and Robinson.

Just look forward the the beatings we are going to deal out to the Colts once their big contracts catch up to them.

Double Barrel
10-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Based on the first four weeks, I think we are a 4-5 win team, with a lot of close game losses towards the end of the season.

rmartin65
10-08-2006, 06:33 PM
I see some wins ahead. We play the Titans twice, at least one should be a win. Oakland looks awful. Buffalo is either good or horrible. We almost always play JAX well. And we play the Browns and Jets. We could win those. So, we should be able to win at least 4 of those 8.

scourge
10-08-2006, 08:32 PM
After watching the Titans/Colts game today, I dont think the Titans are a definite win by any means.

Given our horrible defense and equally bad running game, I'd be impressed with a 5-11 season... but still let down

thunderkyss
10-08-2006, 08:33 PM
First of all, wow. Just because you have 3000+ replies does not mean I should listen to your all knowing understanding of the Texans or give you an ounce of credibility.

Second, we are both Texans fans. Do I expect Kubiak to just quit trying and say forget this season? Hell no. Do I think we are a strong football team right now? No. Will we improve? Clearly we will. But I still dont think it will be enough improvement to beat some teams on our schedule that you think we can beat.

I could be wrong and by all means I hope your prediction is right. But I highly doubt it and to win the rest of the games is incredibly unlikely. But hey watching the Titans right now, anything can happen.

I called out your 27 posts, because that post was talking about the volatility of the board, with the Kool-aid drinkers makeing noise after a win, and the Boo-birds causing a raucous when we loose. My point, is that we have mnay people here, with much more than 27 posts who have been here, and will be here good times & bad.

TEXANRED
10-08-2006, 09:42 PM
give us a chance.
happened.

Well aren't you just a big bowl of sunshine. God for bid you are optimistic about your football team and you try and go into the season with a positive feeling.

Why should we? We just watch, eat, live, and breathe Texans football 365 days out of the year. I guess there should never ever be a reason or moment in a Texans fans day where we have hope that we won't stink it up for yet another year.

I have an idea, to avoid pointless threads like this one, from now on we should ask the question of how many games we will lose. I say as Texan fans we should just know we are gonna stink and never ever be any good. So at the start of every season we should automatically start guessing where we will draft after the end of the season. Instead of breaking down up coming games we talk about next years free agents.

I just love how some of you goofy people love to start these threads with zero value. All this is doing is grandstanding telling everyone I told you so and how magnificent you are.

Good job, you went out on a limb and sighted how terrible the Texans where going to be this year. I bet you went out on the same limb and said the Colts would be really really good.

Its bad enough to sit through a 5th straight losing season and travel up to Dallas to do yet another walk of shame after the game, but to then have to read another "I told you so" thread.

But thats just my two cents.

Big J
10-08-2006, 10:44 PM
I called out your 27 posts, because that post was talking about the volatility of the board, with the Kool-aid drinkers makeing noise after a win, and the Boo-birds causing a raucous when we loose. My point, is that we have mnay people here, with much more than 27 posts who have been here, and will be here good times & bad.

Fair enough.

I am just saying I am still a fan, even if I dont have the same optimism as you. I support my texans every week in Colts/Bears country and its not easy getting stares/laughs at sports bars. But I still go every week and watch our team fight it out. So my lack of posts should not take away from my commitment to the Texans. Im done. Hopefully this thread dies soon.

thunderkyss
10-08-2006, 10:48 PM
why even watch the games??

If we think we are going to loose, why do we get so pissed, when we loose??

Big J
10-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Becuase people support the Texans. Just because some people dont think we will have a winning season this year does nothing to hinder them going and watching their favorite team.

TexanBacker93
10-09-2006, 12:12 PM
While I was really hoping for a 2-2 start (and thought we'd be there), I'm not ready to drink the kool-aid yet. 2 of the teams we've played so far could be the Super Bowl participants. The loss that shouldn't have happened is to Washington.

I don't think the Dolphins played to our level. They weren't a good team for the first 10 weeks last year and a great finish against 4 of the worst teams in the league, an underperforming San Diego team, and a New England team that they seem to play tough all the time. Since Saban is the media's flavor of the month and they added a QB that doesn't have an F in his name people wanted to give them the Lamar Hunt trophy. I guess the point of this ramble is that the Dolphins aren't as good as what the talking heads predicted.

Anyway....I still see hope in the schedule.

The team has 5 games in the division. They have played the Colts close at home so it wouldn't be a stretch to think they could win it. I don't think it will happen, but it's not a guaranteed loss. I think they can split with the Jags and can sweep the Tacks. (3-2)

The team has 2 games against the NFC. While I would love to beat the Cowboys and think they can do it, with Dallas coming off that loss will make it hard. The G-men have struggled at times and have looked very good at times. While it's winnable, it's on the road and I don't see them winning it. (0-2).

The team has 3 games remaining against the AFC East. Buffalo here should be a win. They've also played well at times, but I think home field helps here. The Jets and Pats are on the road and will be tough. The Pats are still a very good team and I don't see the Texans beating them. The Jets aren't good and aren't bad, but they play inconsistently and I think the Texans come out of that game with a win. (2-1)

Then comes the 2 games against the bottom of the other 2 AFC divisions. The Browns at home and the Rrrraaiders on the road. Both these teams are horrible. The Black hole isn't what it used to be. I think USC could go in there and beat that team. The Texans win this game. The Browns is once again the final game of the season. It's once again at home. And...(drum roll please)...going into this game I see the team being 7-8. This time the Texans win the game they should have won 2 years ago. They secure their first non-losing season.

That loss 2 years ago started the team into the tailspin that was last season. By winning this game this year and going 8-8 the team will turn the corner and move towards a playoff berth in 2007.

Maybe I have steel blue and battle red colored glasses, but the NFL isn't like college football. There really isn't that much difference between the top team and the bottom team. It doesn't take as much to turn things around provided the team has the right coaching staff.

TheOgre
10-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Is anyone worse that the Oakland Raiders/Invaders? I predict a 1-15 season from them. They will get lucky and beat someone (hopefully not us).

Meloy
10-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Like it or not, this season is a year to regroup for the team. We should have reasonable expectations. As some of the players have said, you only get better when you are tested. Playing better teams does that for you. Going from 2-14 to playoffs is ridiculous to expect. Hope for? sure. Let's watch the coaches mould (pun intended) this team. We had a nucleous of players left over & added some good free agents and had apparently an excellent draft. I personally will be ecstatic just to watch good play. Wins? I'll take what I can get. One more good draft and a free agent or two & this team will be something!

JohnGalt
10-09-2006, 09:44 PM
We have to do better than the Raiders. I will not stand for another four months of 2007's version of Young vs. Bush, Brady Quinn vs. Adrian Peterson.

Kubiak has got to make it stop!!!

run-david-run
10-10-2006, 12:09 AM
Titans, Titans, Raiders, Browns, Bills, Jets. Off the top of my head those are 6 games we can win without playing great. Granted, those teams will be thinking the same about us, but without any real upsets this team can win 7 games, not to mention we play the Jags tough and we have a good shot at Indy week 16. However, this year will not be defined by our record, for me at least. If I can tellthis team is getting better every week, that we take some small step toward January 07 or 08, then this season is a success, no matter where we are picking come April.

Titan "Tack" Fan
10-10-2006, 12:15 AM
So go with me on this:

The Texans and the Jags should study the tape of our (Titans) game against Indy and do everything we did on defense. I'm saying copy it play by play. Something worked and the Colts need to be stopped.

Tell the Texans coaching staff immediately!!