PDA

View Full Version : Two of the best corners in the league???

the wonger need food
10-05-2006, 11:11 AM
According to CBS Sportsline, we have 2 of the best corners in the league...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/playerrankings/regularseason/DB

HOU-TEX
10-05-2006, 11:16 AM

Look at D-Hall! Tied for last with 3 INT's a 6 passes defensed. It just goes to show ya stats don't mean diddly.:twocents:

real
10-05-2006, 11:21 AM
What goes into those rankings ??? I like Winfield though...

GP
10-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Man, that is THE perfect example of how stats and NFL football do not always show the complete picture.

How can we be dead last (or pretty darn near it) in defense, especially in pass defense, and yet have highly-rated DBs?

Amazing.

LBC_Justin
10-05-2006, 11:22 AM

lots of tackles and lots of pass defends is a result of a few things:

1. Our defense can't get the opposing team off the field so, our corners get more opportunities to make tackles and pass defends.

2. Guys are breaking through our front 7 so, our corners are get more opportunities to make tackles.

Other than Interceptions all the catagories on that list are activity based rather than performanced based. Interceptions are by far the most important colum on that list and our corners have zero.

jerek
10-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Lewis Sanders? ROFL.

OTOH if Lewis caught one of the seven or so errant passes that hit him dead in the hands this year, I could see how they could make that case ...

jmerog
10-05-2006, 11:25 AM
That is suprising to me.

HOU-TEX
10-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Lewis Sanders? ROFL.

OTOH if Lewis caught one of the seven or so errant passes that hit him dead in the hands this year, I could see how they could make that case ...

No kidding! As much as teams are passing against us, one would think we should have at least 1 pick in 4 games. Oh well, at least we didn't have to wait 6 games for our first turnover. LOL

Blake
10-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Damn you stats!!!

Marcus
10-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Man, that is THE perfect example of how stats and NFL football do not always show the complete picture.

How can we be dead last (or pretty darn near it) in defense, especially in pass defense, and yet have highly-rated DBs??

Tell me how not getting pressure the QB determines how good or how bad the DBs are again. I'm curious to know.

Since you guys are *****ing about the DB stats, what are the stats of DLs?

To me, I think those stats indicate where the problem on defense truly lies.

Mr teX
10-05-2006, 12:18 PM

How can we be dead last (or pretty darn near it) in defense, especially in pass defense, and yet have highly-rated DBs?

Amazing.

Quoted for emphasis

Marcus
10-05-2006, 12:46 PM
For the most part, I don't have a problem with the DBs.

What I have a BIG problem with, is the fact that this new 4-3 defense has been completely, with no exceptions that I know of, completely, totally unable to pressure the QB with the 4 down linemen. Kubiak himself has even admitted that they can't get pressure with 5, much less 4.

That means they have to 'manufacture' pressure by sending at least two more people . . .which forces the secondary into playing man coverage on both sides.

Y'all are just flat out blaming the wrong people.

Double Barrel
10-05-2006, 01:00 PM
What I have a BIG problem with, is the fact that this new 4-3 defense has been completely, with no exceptions that I know of, completely, totally unable to pressure the QB with the 4 down linemen. Kubiak himself has even admitted that they can't get pressure with 5, much less 4.

No doubt, especially considering we've got three first round picks on the line and a highly touted FA, as well. I am amazed at how truly anemic our d-line has been, because I thought they'd be one of the bright spots coming into the season.

I think the players bear the burden, but our defensive coordinator has to take some of the blame, as well. He has not impressed me with anything at this point.

infantrycak
10-05-2006, 01:18 PM
There cannot be a single player less able to be ranked with stats than DB's. The perfect example is Deon Sanders. At the height of his career folks were so scared of him and his coverage was so good he went for entire games without having a single ball come his direction. Good coverage results in less opportunity to rack up stats. Having your DB's with a whole bunch of tackles and passes defended means the front seven probably is letting folks thru, the DB's are defending a few of a bunch of balls thrown their way because of poor coverage or getting burned and then tackling them and watching the other team line up for the next set of downs. Example--the Texans secondary.

run-david-run
10-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Chris Hope 2nd, Champ Bailey 30th...rightttttt

Meloy
10-05-2006, 01:33 PM
I suggest a hefty bonus for each!

HOU-TEX
10-05-2006, 01:35 PM
I suggest a hefty bonus for each!

LOL! Spread some bonus money throughout the o-line as well. I mean we have the #1 rated QB in the NFL so they deserve it, right?:tease:

JDizzle
10-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Our 2 best corners are the sidelines.

edo783
10-05-2006, 02:56 PM
The guy who wrote that is heavy into street drugs IMO. Certainly didn't consider much of other factors, like how the rest of the defense is affecting those stats and why no INTs by them.

jerek
10-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Our 2 best corners are the sidelines.

LOL who? Faggins? Not a chance. I agree that P-Buch needs to start for us because, other than D-Rob, he's the only one on this team with starting-caliber athleticism. He looked improved in camp and preseason and I haven't really figured out why he's not starting yet.

real
10-05-2006, 03:01 PM
LOL who? Faggins? Not a chance. I agree that P-Buch needs to start for us because, other than D-Rob, he's the only one on this team with starting-caliber athleticism. He looked improved in camp and preseason and I haven't really figured out why he's not starting yet.

I think he litterally meant the sidelines...lol

SESupergenius
10-05-2006, 03:10 PM
It is just showing the stats and ranking them on plays made, I don't think it really is saying that these are the best at their positions.

V Man
10-05-2006, 03:15 PM
They are ranked high because they make a lot of tackles.

DBCooper
10-05-2006, 03:16 PM
It is just showing the stats and ranking them on plays made, I don't think it really is saying that these are the best at their positions.

I know you've been told, but that is one funny avatar!

I can't help but smile every time I see it.

DBCooper
10-05-2006, 03:16 PM
I think he litterally meant the sidelines...lol

So did I.

SESupergenius
10-05-2006, 03:19 PM
I know you've been told, but that is one funny avatar!

I can't help but smile every time I see it.

YEs it's pretty funny, I enjoyed making....not in that way.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Anyone here going to honestly try and tell me that Ed Reed is the 108th best DB in the league?

JDizzle
10-05-2006, 03:26 PM

I meant the actual sidelines ... lol.

jerek
10-05-2006, 03:29 PM
I meant the actual sidelines ... lol.

LOL sorry, that's what I get for skimming and firing off with a response.

TreWardTxn
10-05-2006, 07:27 PM

Amazing.

Cause we have THE worst two safties in the league, not safety tandem, but safeties. I can't understand what those rankings are based on tho; tackles seemed to figure largely, which for fantasy purposes is ridiculous, because if a corner is making a one-on-one tackle anywhere 2 yards past the LOS, then he just got snagged on...

blockhead83
10-05-2006, 08:27 PM
To think we let Aaron Glenn walk away for a guy who's become our dime back.

GP
10-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Tell me how not getting pressure the QB determines how good or how bad the DBs are again. I'm curious to know.

Since you guys are *****ing about the DB stats, what are the stats of DLs?

To me, I think those stats indicate where the problem on defense truly lies.

The problem on defense lies with the coordinator, a guy who until this past Sunday was too afraid to send a blitz.

Brunell, prior to our game, was perhaps the most ineffective passer outside of Aaron Brooks and Daunte Culpepper. He had no timing, and that team was collapsing rapidly. Enter a Texans defense that had virtually no blitzes sent, and you had Brunell going off for an NFL record: It led to him finding a groove and he was en fuego after that; he was sending stuff downfield after he got through nickel-and-diming our DBs for those 22 completions--Passes to the RB, Quick Outs, Hitches, etc.

Point is this: Our DBs are missing tackles, allowing ball carriers to get significant YAC. To say that it's the DL's fault is like saying the offense is all Carr's fault when it fails.

When are we going to learn that it's not a game of singular achievements or failures? Great teams are great all the way around, not just at one position. Tom Brady had clutch WRs, RBs, and TEs (and a nice o line by the way)...but he also had a great defense and a pretty great kicker to fill out the TEAM.

The DL of our team will only be as successful as Smith allows it to be by not being afraid to blitz early in the game. It rattles the QB, forces the opposing offense to shorten up its gameplan, and it gives the DBs a chance to take risks on an attempted interception, etc., instead of chasing WRs down the field and basically having no chance to make an impact.

There's no way those stats are indicative of us having a "great" anything at the moment. I really don't understand how you can be last in team defense yet have a highly ranked DB unit.

Forget the stats and tell me, based on what you see on the field on almost every down where our DBs are put in a position to make "a play," and tell me we have a highly ranked DB unit out there right now.

real
10-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Cause we have THE worst two safties in the league, not safety tandem, but safeties. I can't understand what those rankings are based on tho; tackles seemed to figure largely, which for fantasy purposes is ridiculous, because if a corner is making a one-on-one tackle anywhere 2 yards past the LOS, then he just got snagged on...

IMO, Earl isn't that bad...

Marcus
10-06-2006, 12:10 PM
gpshafer, you're post is so full of contradictions, it ain't even funny.

The problem on defense lies with the coordinator, a guy who until this past Sunday was too afraid to send a blitz.
:um: And this was the fault of the DBs . . . how?
Brunell, prior to our game, was perhaps the most ineffective passer outside of Aaron Brooks and Daunte Culpepper. He had no timing, and that team was collapsing rapidly. Enter a Texans defense that had virtually no blitzes sent, and you had Brunell going off for an NFL record: It led to him finding a groove and he was en fuego after that; he was sending stuff downfield after he got through nickel-and-diming our DBs for those 22 completions--Passes to the RB, Quick Outs, Hitches, etc.
:um: And this was the fault of the DBs . . . how?
Point is this: Our DBs are missing tackles, allowing ball carriers to get significant YAC. To say that it's the DL's fault is like saying the offense is all Carr's fault when it fails. :ok: So why are you coming across that it's the DBs fault that the defense is bad?
When are we going to learn that it's not a game of singular achievements or failures? Great teams are great all the way around, not just at one position. Tom Brady had clutch WRs, RBs, and TEs (and a nice o line by the way)... but he also had a great defense and a pretty great kicker to fill out the TEAM.When are we going to learn that it all starts up front . . . in the trenches.
The DL of our team will only be as successful as Smith allows it to be by not being afraid to blitz early in the game. It rattles the QB, forces the opposing offense to shorten up its gameplan, and it gives the DBs a chance to take risks on an attempted interception, etc., instead of chasing WRs down the field and basically having no chance to make an impact. You see where I'm going with this? How do you construe this with poor performance of the DBs?
There's no way those stats are indicative of us having a "great" anything at the moment. I really don't understand how you can be last in team defense yet have a highly ranked DB unit.
Simply because you misinterepreted those stats. The fact that our DBs are among the league leaders in tackles is a damning indictment of the poor play up front. Take a good look at the better defensive teams in the NFL, and you'll see that those secondarys don't make that many tackles.
Forget the stats and tell me, based on what you see on the field on almost every down where our DBs are put in a position to make "a play," and tell me we have a highly ranked DB unit out there right now.
Having been a technician for many years, I like to use the cause and effect principle when diagnosing a problem.

What I see, (and I've mentioned this before) is the complete inability of the four down lineman to get any sort of pressure on the opposing QB. Never. That, right there, is the underlying fundamental cause of why this defense SUCKS. If they can NEVER do that, then the DBs are screwed no matter what Richard Smith does to try to make up for that weakness. If they don't blitz, and the QB has all day long to look downfield, eventually a receiver is going to get open. If he does blitz, that forces the DBs to play a riskier coverage. They are being hung out to dry because the people front can't get it done. They are the effect of the problem. The ineffective DL is making them look bad.

When the DL starts doing a better job, the DBs will start looking like they are doing a better job. It will never be the other way around.

GermanTexan
10-08-2006, 08:38 AM

Cause he got injured in the season opener...
But I think you´re right... He should get time to play...

DominickDavisFan76
10-08-2006, 09:56 AM
so tampa bay has the best pair of CBs?