PDA

View Full Version : DC on Jim Rome

Texans_Chick
10-04-2006, 01:35 PM
David Carr on Jim Rome coming up soon.

You can listen on the Live Stream on Sportsradio 610.

Link (http://www.sportsradio610.com/)

Mr. White
10-04-2006, 01:37 PM
He's on now.

Bullpen Drew
10-04-2006, 01:39 PM
he needs the Karma....

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
10-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Correction, We Goose, we need the Karma!

SESupergenius
10-04-2006, 01:43 PM
David said he thought the offense had a good game....Kubiak then handed him 30 things they did wrong! That is fantastic. Keeps him humble and motivated.

TexansLucky13
10-04-2006, 01:46 PM
I could care less for Jim Rome.... but what all are they talking about?

valleytexfan
DC on Rome NOW!!

Texanfan4ever
Ya'll post what he said, I don't have a radio and if it is streaming, I can't get it. Uh...,.

Second Honeymoon
10-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Totally appreciate Carr's honesty about the pick of Mario. He called it like he saw it and acknowledged that the Mario pick was not popular amongst many including himself initially. He did so without throwing Mario under the bus and then acknowledged that Mario has gifts and was a 'need' pick by the franchise. No 'coachspeak' or parroting the party line.

Kudos to Carr for both his play and his honesty.

Doug ftw

TexanFanInCC
texans_chick thanks for that link. i registered and im up and running! thank god! u saved the day. as far as the question "is there more pressure on mario being the 1st pick than there was on you (carr), i would say theres more pressure on mario...and that ought to be obvious. fans expected carr to be the first pick of the draft. not the case for mario...

kcwilson
As always, can someone recap?

Dubya
10-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Jim's got a LOT of great things to say about Carr.

Sco-tai
10-04-2006, 01:57 PM
What an excellent interview!

Points that stick out to me....

223 sacks in his carrer...and Rome points out that Carr has handled it well.
Carr admits he had developed bad habits and Kubiak is still working closely with him to "slow down" and trust the protection & receivers.

~~~

So glad that we're getting some press NOT related to us passing Reggie.

Awesome!

Post-interview discussion is great, too. Still on now.

Mr. White
10-04-2006, 02:01 PM
As always, can someone recap?

I'll post stuff as I recall it.

Pretty good interview. The part that really comes to mind was the talk about the draft.

He said he was all for taking Bush since he would improve the offense, but the defense needs help too. Rome compared Carr going #1 and Mario going #1...he said that more people wanted Carr than Mario. Carr said that Mario's had it worse than him.

He said that he told Mario that the reason why he's here is that he's an amazing football player and will do great things. Rome cited this as an example of Carr's leadership skills.

Carr also related the treatment that Mario's been getting to the pre-draft VY groundswell. He said that he had kind of a rough time with that.

Sportsfan
10-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Great interview. Rome always handles interviews professionally and asks good questions.

One thing that stuck out to me is he said that Kubiak is starting to trust him enough to let himself, Johnson, and Moulds discuss things and call their own plays in certain situations.

He also mentioned that his wife wasn't too happy w/him b/c of the fine he received for throwing the ball in the stands(which happen to be in her vicinity) which cost her a day of shopping. I thought that was pretty funny.

Texanfan4ever
10-04-2006, 02:18 PM
That's funny! About the shopping. Carr actually is kind of funny. I'm happy for him.

When you get right down to it, they are all real people with real feelings. How could Mario, who is only 21, not just feel horrible listening to everyone boo him, and then attack him. They are just kids, rich kids, but still kids.

I think it is cute when Kubes calls them "those kids".

nunusguy
10-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Great interview. Rome always handles interviews professionally and asks good questions.

Rome is the consummate pro interviewer. He always has the utmost respect
and consideration for his guest. The interview is always about Rome's guest,
not him.
Carr seemed a little nervous initially, but Rome got him going in the right directions, and DC was more comfortable and candid as he got warmed up and the interview progressed.
He talked at length about his relationship with Kubiak, and how the HC was in
his corner, always there for him but never totally satisfied with him. For example, while Carr had a descent game Sunday, the coach had a list of 30
mistakes, things to improve on, etc. for Carr from Sundays game. Carr clearly
seemed to accept this, maybe even thrive on it.

MightyTExan
10-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Is it time to let Carr call the plays like he did in that game last season? Seems to me he's taking to the West Coast O. Saw an interview with the coach of the Seahawks(name escapes me) and he said it takes a QB about 3 years to get the WCO.

NEROtheZERO
10-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Rome is the consummate pro interviewer. He always has the utmost respect
and consideration for his guest. The interview is always about Rome's guest,
not him.
Carr seemed a little nervous initially, but Rome got him going in the right directions, and DC was more comfortable and candid as he got warmed up and the interview progressed.
He talked at length about his relationship with Kubiak, and how the HC was in
his corner, always there for him but never totally satisfied with him. For example, while Carr had a descent game Sunday, the coach had a list of 30
mistakes, things to improve on, etc. for Carr from Sundays game. Carr clearly
seemed to accept this, maybe even thrive on it.

Tell that to ol' Chrissy.

Tomball Football
10-04-2006, 02:35 PM
David did a nice job on Rome. Rome is great!

Speaking of Mario - he'll be fine. I've watched him closely and other than looking lost the first couple games he's improving. Just somebody please feed him some Red Bull or something to get that motor running. He's "battling" less and working on leverage & angles more + he's long. He'll be fine!

HJam72
10-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Is it time to let Carr call the plays like he did in that game last season? Seems to me he's taking to the West Coast O. Saw an interview with the coach of the Seahawks(name escapes me) and he said it takes a QB about 3 years to get the WCO.

First off, it may be technically correct (and I know it is), but I have a real hard time seeing Kubiak's/Denver's offense as a WEST COAST offense--although that is what it's looked like lately. Just my opinion. I don't see the WCO as being heavy on the running game at all, but our offense is supposed to be.

Mainly though, I just want to say that I don't care who says it takes how long to learn what, I want to see David Carr get another chance to call his own plays, for at least another half. He's had one chance only to try it and the entire offense SWELLED with improved production. I know it was just against the Cards last year and it may not work at all again for several reasons, but I think it's a gamble well worth taking just to see what happens. Those morons last year should've let him keep doing it. Is there any doubt about that now?

NJ Texan
10-04-2006, 02:46 PM
I wish someone would post this interview on youtube or something. Unless it's his radio show, then I'm kinda SOL.

hollywood_texan
10-04-2006, 02:48 PM

Here is the link to video:

http://www.extremefunnypictures.com/funnypic916.htm

I think it is great but I wouldn't call it professional.

Vinny
10-04-2006, 02:56 PM
That happened quite a long time ago...Rome has matured quite a bit over the years. I'm sure many of our young fans never even saw Everett play.

Khari
10-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Rome has matured quite a bit over the years.

he's still annoying :hides:

Sco-tai
10-04-2006, 03:01 PM
That happened quite a long time ago...Rome has matured quite a bit over the years. I'm sure many of our young fans never even saw Everett play.

So true.

Even more to the point, do you think the younger fans know who "Crissy Everett" was (the tennis player).

mexican_texan
10-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Chris Everett is the 'Stros SS. Best defensive SS in the MLB. :hides:

Double Barrel
10-04-2006, 03:02 PM
David said he thought the offense had a good game....Kubiak then handed him 30 things they did wrong! That is fantastic. Keeps him humble and motivated.

That's awesome. A good head coach is never satisfied, even after a win.

Lucky
10-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Rome has matured quite a bit over the years.
I'd say he matured right after that interview. Because he never pulled a stunt like that again. Sure, Rome still gets all over sports figures. But, he doesn't put them across a table during an interview. I'd love to see Rome interview Rebecca Lobo in studio. I bet he wouldn't have the guts to call her a horse to her...um, face.

This was a typical David Carr interview. Says all of the right things and puts a positive spin on everything. He's got a future in politics.

Texanfan4ever
10-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Some people are just positive. They live that way and their lives usually follow....David has a lot to be positive about!

Double Barrel
10-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Some people are just positive. They live that way and their lives usually follow....David has a lot to be positive about!

He's got eight million reasons to be positive. cha-ching! ;)

infantrycak
10-04-2006, 03:15 PM
I want to see David Carr get another chance to call his own plays, for at least another half. He's had one chance only to try it and the entire offense SWELLED with improved production. I know it was just against the Cards last year and it may not work at all again for several reasons, but I think it's a gamble well worth taking just to see what happens. Those morons last year should've let him keep doing it. Is there any doubt about that now?

Carr actually called the 1st half of the Cards game and 1st half of the Rams game last year. Total aberration from the way NFL teams operate. Not even Peyton calls his own plays--he receives three plays from the OC that have decision trees under them resulting in all those audibles. Interesting theories/reports on why Carr got to do it last year--(1) Pendry got basically fed up and said fine you call the plays and (2) Reeves had something to do with it as part of the process of figuring out what the problem was. Not going to happen on a full game basis now.

run-david-run
10-04-2006, 03:15 PM
that reminded me of TO's publicist.."he has 25 million reasons to be alive"...possibly the worst PR quote ever...im so glad he is on the Cowboys now

Texanfan4ever
10-04-2006, 03:17 PM
That's what I'm saying! LOL I hope he's saving it, cuz he is going to need it for his ailments when he's old. Don't everybody jump on me for that statement. I hope he never has any, but I'm just saying, 4 years on your back is a long time, and he's not done yet.

TexansLucky13
10-04-2006, 03:17 PM

OMG! I have no idea what that was about (relatively a young'n), but it made me smile. Jim Rome is a *insert random curse word here*.

Double Barrel
10-04-2006, 03:23 PM
that reminded me of TO's publicist.."he has 25 million reasons to be alive"...possibly the worst PR quote ever...im so glad he is on the Cowboys now

Exactly. I was just having fun with it. :D

For the record, I think Carr is about much more than just the money.

Runner
10-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Carr actually called the 1st half of the Cards game and 1st half of the Rams game last year. Total aberration from the way NFL teams operate. Not even Peyton calls his own plays--he receives three plays from the OC that have decision trees under them resulting in all those audibles. Interesting theories/reports on why Carr got to do it last year--(1) Pendry got basically fed up and said fine you call the plays and (2) Reeves had something to do with it as part of the process of figuring out what the problem was. Not going to happen on a full game basis now.

Exactly right. However, Carr must be allowed to change plays on the field. He was expressly forbidden to do so by the previous regime. Sometimes the players "know" something is going to work and they should be allowed to change things up in the huddle. This shouldn't happen frequently, and when it does Carr had better be correct or be ready to face the consequences.

DBCooper
10-04-2006, 03:53 PM

I had forgotten how funny that was!!!!

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
10-04-2006, 04:20 PM

Rome is a blow hard! He is little S--t who gets off on talking trash about players who he canít begin to hang with. I will say this he does have a crack research staff that makes him sound more knowledgeable than he really is. Ask any athlete about him off the record and you will find out what an A-hole he is but he is seen as a necessary evil, he has a ton of exposure so most players play along! Except for Tiger that is.

DBCooper
10-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Rome is a blow hard! He is little S--t who gets off on talking trash about players who he canít begin to hang with. I will say this he does have a crack research staff that makes him sound more knowledgeable than he really is. Ask any athlete about him off the record and you will find out what an A-hole he is but he is seen as a necessary evil, he has a ton of exposure so most players play along! Except for Tiger that is.

The first couple of times I listened to Rome, I couldn't stand him. Then you figure out the sarcasm.

I don't agree with everything he says, but he does a pretty decent job of interviewing.

And "Chrissy" is a cult classic.

TexanFanInCC
10-04-2006, 04:31 PM
i love rome. sure we cant always agree with him...but love him or hate him, he is still fun to listen to, and i have always been a big fan of how he interviews people since the chris everett affair. he asks good questions and he gets to the bottom line on everything pertaining to the person he is interviewing. i learn alot from his interviews.

noxiousdog
10-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Ask any athlete about him off the record and you will find out what an A-hole he is but he is seen as a necessary evil, he has a ton of exposure so most players play along! Except for Tiger that is.

I find that really hard to believe. He didn't use to have a ton of exposure. He had a little syndicated radio show. If he was that much of an a-hole he wouldn't have kept the same staff for so long.

I'm sure like everyone else, some guys like him and some guys don't. There are a lot of fragile egos in sports.

19-10
10-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Rome is a blow hard! He is little S--t who gets off on talking trash about players who he can’t begin to hang with. I will say this he does have a crack research staff that makes him sound more knowledgeable than he really is. Ask any athlete about him off the record and you will find out what an A-hole he is but he is seen as a necessary evil, he has a ton of exposure so most players play along! Except for Tiger that is.

Well I don't know too many of these athletes you've talked to so I cant dispute that but I do know they all line up to get on his show. He asks the tough questions that others don't and won't and he does it his way. Him trying hard to be a comedian can get a little tired sometimes but his interviews are to borrow a word "epic". He can't hang with those athletes? No kidding. I'm sure we all could of if that damn coach would have just started us instead of their kid.

Mr. White
10-04-2006, 04:35 PM

Not necessarily a Rome defender, but I remember watching this when it happened. There's more to the story than most people know.

He used to talk trash to a lot of guys on that show. That's what Talk 2 was based on. When they came on, they knew what they were in for. Jim Harbaugh would come on that show and get ripped. Jim Everett was scheduled for the interview, knew what the questions were going to be, and still went off on Rome anyway. I know that the questions were scripted because I used to actually call that show. :bag: I'm pretty sure that no caller ever asked a question that he had wanted to ask.

The "incident" came on Sportscenter the next day. The reporter said that Jim Everett already knew what the questions were and knew he'd be getting called "Chris."

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
10-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Dont' get me wrong I am a hypocrtite, I listen everyday as oppsed to Dan Patrick. I have spoken with several Houston area athletes both on Houston teams and some who make their homes in Houston during the off season and its like I said before, neccessary evil. Hell yeah they line up, exposure is exposure and he can bring it, that does not mean they dont think he's a blow hard.

19-10
10-04-2006, 04:46 PM
He's (Rome) also very "so-cal" and that can be hard to get for some. Not unlike a New Yorker. Midwesterners are pretty vanilla and that's what I consider us even though most would argue the whole Texan attitude. I don't think that applies much in Houston. Anyway DC came out great in the interview. Great to hear more than the usual vomit they all spew on local news.

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
10-04-2006, 04:48 PM
It was nice to see one of our guys get some national pub that is positive. Hell on Sunday even as Mario was having a good game Collinsworth was still riding him about being a waste.

geofb
10-04-2006, 04:50 PM

I would have loved to see Everett land a few punches on Rome that day.

19-10
10-04-2006, 04:55 PM
It was nice to see one of our guys get some national pub that is positive. Hell on Sunday even as Mario was having a good game Collinsworth was still riding him about being a waste.

You're not kidding I wanted to jump through the screen and kill that weasel.
I felt so violated. What an A-Hole he is. I won't watch him again.

texasguy346
10-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Hell on Sunday even as Mario was having a good game Collinsworth was still riding him about being a waste.

He certainly wouldn't have said it to Mario's face or he might have found himself feeling a bit like Rome must have after interviewing Everett.

noxiousdog
10-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Dont' get me wrong I am a hypocrtite, I listen everyday as oppsed to Dan Patrick. I have spoken with several Houston area athletes both on Houston teams and some who make their homes in Houston during the off season and its like I said before, neccessary evil. Hell yeah they line up, exposure is exposure and he can bring it, that does not mean they dont think he's a blow hard.

That didn't take long to go from all to several.

If it's about exposure, why do the athletes show up at untelevised, unbroadcasted tour stops?

noxiousdog
10-04-2006, 05:00 PM

Monday, Jaworski on PTI said that to justify a #1 pick, a defensive lineman had to get 20 sacks a year.

My wife said, "I told you he was an *****."

:( I liked Jaws.

WhyIsItAlwaysNextYear
10-04-2006, 05:05 PM
That didn't take long to go from all to several.

If it's about exposure, why do the athletes show up at untelevised, unbroadcasted tour stops?

True I did not poll all professional athletes about Jim Rome! You got me. But I believe I said any not all, its a matter of semantics. As far as showing up to tour stops, Gee I don’t know could it be all the clones from their home city that show up! Turning out to entertain the local sports fans no matter who the host is it not a bad idea. Hell even TO's publicist could get that one right. MAYBE?

GP
10-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Exactly right. However, Carr must be allowed to change plays on the field. He was expressly forbidden to do so by the previous regime. Sometimes the players "know" something is going to work and they should be allowed to change things up in the huddle. This shouldn't happen frequently, and when it does Carr had better be correct or be ready to face the consequences.

I think I saw Carr audibling at the line many times against the Fins.

I felt it was much more than usual. If so, maybe he's getting the green light a lot more with each game?

I am just now remembering it, though.

run-david-run
10-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Monday, Jaworski on PTI said that to justify a #1 pick, a defensive lineman had to get 20 sacks a year.

So as a running back Reggie would have to get 20 TD's a year? At least Mario is setting a better pace, lol.

nunusguy
10-04-2006, 05:44 PM

I saw that to, but we all have to remind ourselves that Bush has a business relationship with ESPN, and I'm not trying to be phasicious.
I dunno, but I think there's some ESPN produced commercials that include Bush. What I'm sure of is that there are numerous regular and prominent ESPN sponsers who advertise on ESPN with Bush as a participant in some of their commercials. Don't think for a moment that ESPN is a disinterested entity providing objective NFL info to their audience. And they certainly have
no such buiness relationship with Mario Williams.

Second Honeymoon
10-04-2006, 06:09 PM

Rome is great and probably the hardest working sports journalist out there. He works the long hours and puts the time in. His 'crack research staff' is normally him and a cup of coffee. He has somewhat mellowed over the years and I can't stand how he has done a U-Turn on NASCAR (which is a joke) but he is a great personality and extremely witty and smart.

If you don't like him, that is fine, but dude is the #1 sports journalist in America and Tony Kornheiser is a total scrub in comparison to him. Rome should be in that MNF booth and not that tool named Kornheiser.

Doug FTW

Bullpen Drew
10-04-2006, 06:23 PM
I'd say he matured right after that interview. Because he never pulled a stunt like that again. Sure, Rome still gets all over sports figures. But, he doesn't put them across a table during an interview. I'd love to see Rome interview Rebecca Lobo in studio. I bet he wouldn't have the guts to call her a horse to her...um, face.

This was a typical David Carr interview. Says all of the right things and puts a positive spin on everything. He's got a future in politics.

I wouls ask Lobo, "why the long face?"

cap1
10-04-2006, 06:52 PM
http://www.jimrome.com/home/search.html?searchText=David+Carr

Here is a link to check the interview out

shinerbock_girl
10-04-2006, 07:00 PM
http://www.jimrome.com/home/search.html?searchText=David+Carr

Here is a link to check the interview out

You have sign up for a subscription and pay to view it...

NFLforher
10-04-2006, 07:43 PM

That's a good way to live.

HoustonFan
10-05-2006, 01:43 AM
Sucks that I can't get this station at work. The stream is firewalled so that option is out of the window too.

This team will be fine. Carr is getting better. Mario is a rookie and will more than likely outlast Reggie Bush - funny how no one was talking much about the fumble Bush lost in the Saints loss to the Panthers on Sunday ad how he still has no touchdowns. Hmmmmm... damn media :rolleyes:

phan1
10-05-2006, 03:06 AM
He's a pretty good interviewer, but I just hate him and his show. He'll talk trash about everyone worth talking trash about and then have a nice, sweet interview with whoever. I can't stand guys like him and the "Quite Frankly" guy. They're great when they're teamed up with other writers and commentators, but it's just too much when they have they're own show.

TheOgre
10-05-2006, 04:12 AM
Midwesterners are pretty vanilla and that's what I consider us even though most would argue the whole Texan attitude.
I think we are a blend of Midwest, South, and Southwest...that is what makes Texas unique.

TheOgre
10-05-2006, 04:17 AM

Despite Carr's recent passer rating success, I'd still have preferred to have taken Julius Peppers number 1 overall in 2002. He doesn't get 20 sacks a year. In fact, who was the last guy to ever get 20 sacks a year consistently? If that is Jaws point (no d-lineman should ever be taken 1st overall), then he truly needs to change out his lightbulb upstairs.

grnydrowave
10-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Chris Everett is the 'Stros SS. Best defensive SS in the MLB. :hides:

You just proved his point. This reference is actually to Jim Everett the quarterback and Chris Everett the female tennis player. Rome got punched out on his own show for repeatedly calling Jim Everett "Chris".

Oh, and the Astros shortstop is Adam Everett.

Malloy
10-05-2006, 08:22 AM
4 years on your back is a long time, and he's not done yet.

To me, that does not sound so bad... or am I missing somethig ? ;)

Texanfan4ever
10-05-2006, 10:46 AM
To me, that does not sound so bad... or am I missing somethig ? ;)

LOL No you are not missing anything. Very sharp, I might add. That's funny! :ok:

GP
10-05-2006, 11:06 AM
You're not kidding I wanted to jump through the screen and kill that weasel.
I felt so violated. What an A-Hole he is. I won't watch him again.

I stopped watching him looooong ago.

He is by far one of the most overly-critical and rude sports analysts found in any professional or collegiate sport.

He has such a haughty and snooty delivery to averything he says. I bet he was "fun" to be around in the locker room when he was playing in the NFL.

He's one of those guys that thinks he knows it all and has a responsibility to let you know it.

Worse than hell: Having to watch a football game with these commentators calling the game: Paul Maguire, Collinsworth, and Phil Simms. That's a trio of guys that could actually make me turn off the TV, or at least mute it.

DBCooper
10-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Worse than hell: Having to watch a football game with these commentators calling the game: Paul Maguire, Collinsworth, and Phil Simms. That's a trio of guys that could actually make me turn off the TV, or at least mute it.

What about Thiesman and Kornholer?

GP
10-05-2006, 11:26 AM

Theismann is actually tolerable because he has some form of "joy" or kid-like enthusiasm for the game. Heck, he even went and apologized to T.O. for being mean with his commentary and realizing that he had gone a little too far with it. That's something Collinsworth would nevvvvvver do.

Tony is a mouth, the modern-day Howard Cossell (sp?). He can go down rabbit trails with meaningless dialogue, and that;s cool with me.

Simms, Collinsworth, and MaGuire are the three guys that I think are the most overly arrogant and overly opinionated guys out there. They get super angry when someone disagrees with them, and they never admit to being wrong.

HOU-TEX
10-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Theismann is actually tolerable because he has some form of "joy" or kid-like enthusiasm for the game. Heck, he even went and apologized to T.O. for being mean with his commentary and realizing that he had gone a little too far with it. That's something Collinsworth would nevvvvvver do.

Tony is a mouth, the modern-day Howard Cossell (sp?). He can go down rabbit trails with meaningless dialogue, and that;s cool with me.

Simms, Collinsworth, and MaGuire are the three guys that I think are the most overly arrogant and overly opinionated guys out there. They get super angry when someone disagrees with them, and they never admit to being wrong.

LOL! At least they can speak correctly. I watched some of the Marshall/UCF game last night and got to listen to Lou Holtz do some commentating. The guy was a good ols school coach, but come on! It's sounds like he's spiitting all over the place while talking. :yikes:

real
10-05-2006, 11:38 AM
LOL! At least they can speak correctly. I watched some of the Marshall/UCF game last night and got to listen to Lou Holtz do some commentating. The guy was a good ols school coach, but come on! It's sounds like he's spiitting all over the place while talking. :yikes:

LOL....

Hey speaking of Marshall and UCF....that was a good game....

real
10-05-2006, 11:39 AM

I don't know why a lot of people dislike them....I actually think they are a pretty good team....I like Kornheiser......And I like the enthusiasm Theisman brings....

HOU-TEX
10-05-2006, 11:42 AM
LOL....

Hey speaking of Marshall and UCF....that was a good game....

It was a darn good game! I was kinda hoping the "Thundering Herd" would pull out a win. I've never been a fan of any Florida teams.:hides:

DBCooper
10-05-2006, 12:21 PM
I don't know why a lot of people dislike them....I actually think they are a pretty good team....I like Kornheiser......And I like the enthusiasm Theisman brings....

I don't know why. Every time Thiesman speaks, I cringe. Not much love for Madden either.

My favorites are Joe Buck and Aikman.

HOU-TEX
10-05-2006, 12:27 PM
I don't know why. Every time Thiesman speaks, I cringe. Not much love for Madden either.

My favorites are Joe Buck and Aikman.

They're decent. I actually kind of like listening to Al Michaels and Madden. I think Maddens kinda funny. Dumb funny, but still funny.:)

DBCooper
10-05-2006, 12:29 PM
They're decent. I actually kind of like listening to Al Michaels and Madden. I think Maddens kinda funny. Dumb funny, but still funny.:)

Yeah, Michaels is great.

When Madden speaks as a coach he has some really interesting things to add. The other times, he's a big dufus.

TheOgre
10-05-2006, 01:14 PM

Theisman just rubs me wrong. I don't know if is his blatant arrogance, the fact that I disagree with him 90% of the time, or if it is merely the way he talks. Something about him just drives me up the wall.

Cris Collinsworth has better insights than Theisman, but he is such a prick to everyone that I cannot stand him. He is far worse than Trev Alberts IMO, but somehow he keeps getting gigs. I will turn the t.v. to another station whenever he opens his mouth.

I like Madden and Michaels as a duo. They seem to have a good mix together.

Tony Kornheiser is annoying (too "New York" for my taste), but I can stomach him in small doses because he has good insight.

I could do without Jim Rome and his theatrics. He rarely brings anything new or fresh to the sport. He seems like the rag sheet of sports television.

Ironically, I like Steven/Stephen A. Smith. He has the theatrics of Rome, but the substance of a Kornheiser.

HOU-TEX
10-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Yeah, Michaels is great.

When Madden speaks as a coach he has some really interesting things to add. The other times, he's a big dufus.

:rofl: That's what makes him funny. Some of the things he says are so stupid, you just have to laugh.

Second Honeymoon
10-05-2006, 02:40 PM

OMG that NBC Sunday Night Football broadcast is horrific. Maguire is a studdering moron, Collinsworth is the playboy dufus, and Simms is a flatlining retard. Pair them up with Costas in the studio and you get a festering pile of dog feces for a broadcast. Oh, not to mention that just reprehensible theme by Pink....I can't say one positive thing about that show....it's just horrible and not gonna get any better.

P.S. Is it just me or are Maguire's stupid stories not the most boring things you have ever heard. It's like yeah yeah, we know you played for the Bills and were a bad kicker. Congrats, now shut piehole and let us watch the game.

Doug FTW

Kaiser Toro
10-05-2006, 02:56 PM
I have detested Maguire for as long as I can remember. Boring stories that go no where. Humor that only a drunk upstate New Yorker bloated on nuclear wings would smirk to.

I have to say that my Sundays are all jacked up now. It used to be so easy: watch the 3 pm games turn to ESPN for highlights and then the game. No flow anymore. I would not be surprised if the NFL brand takes a short term ding this year in ratings.

edit: How in the heck did we get to Maguire on a thread titeld DC on Rome?

El Tejano
10-05-2006, 03:34 PM
I have detested Maguire for as long as I can remember. Boring stories that go no where. Humor that only a drunk upstate New Yorker bloated on nuclear wings would smirk to.

I have to say that my Sundays are all jacked up now. It used to be so easy: watch the 3 pm games turn to ESPN for highlights and then the game. No flow anymore. I would not be surprised if the NFL brand takes a short term ding this year in ratings.

edit: How in the heck did we get to Maguire on a thread titeld DC on Rome?

I agree, I can't even find NFL Prime Time anymore?

Double Barrel
10-05-2006, 04:05 PM
I agree, I can't even find NFL Prime Time anymore?

From what I've been told, it is no longer on Sunday nights. They have replaced football coverage with the "NFL Blitz" on Sportscenter, so you have to watch a bunch of other highlights of sports you could care less about to get your football news.

And someone mentioned to me that "NFL Primetime" is now on Mondays at 5:00 p.m. our time, which means I'll never get to see it because of working until 6:00 every day.

It's LAME, and gives me yet another reason to slowly disregard ESPN.

El Tejano
10-05-2006, 04:06 PM
What I hate about NFL blitz is that it isn't everyone's highlights just the ones they want to show you.

powerfuldragon
10-05-2006, 04:10 PM
There should be a memorial set up to honor NFL Primetime.

NFL Primetime, you had a great run.

feb055
10-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Did he have a hat on? Just wondering if he buzzed again.

Rachel

Wolf
10-05-2006, 06:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

there you go LOL

infantrycak
10-05-2006, 06:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

there you go LOL

Rome deserved what he got or more on that one. Don't play like some tough guy protected by a press pass and insult someone to their face or get popped. Wouldn't be surprised if he did it on purpose to get famous.

Rome's actual interviews are pretty good IMO--what I don't like is the hour and a half after when he pats himself on the back plus the 70% of his show that is meaningless noises (Give me back my son) and blather.

Cgold
10-05-2006, 06:42 PM
I always thought the same thing!! That it was all just to get him more famous, and it worked..

Wolf
10-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Rome deserved what he got or more on that one. Don't play like some tough guy protected by a press pass and insult someone to their face or get popped. Wouldn't be surprised if he did it on purpose to get famous.

Rome's actual interviews are pretty good IMO--what I don't like is the hour and a half after when he pats himself on the back plus the 70% of his show that is meaningless noises (Give me back my son) and blather.

I agree with ya!

chuckm
10-05-2006, 06:44 PM
I miss Howard Cosell ...... even if you detested the guy, he was better than the list of posers that followed him ....

Speedy
10-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Theesman and Cornhoser are the worst EVER. I haven't seen a MNF game yet this year where Tony hasn't mentioned he's got so and so on his freaking fantasy team at least 3 times per broadcast. And know-it-all Theesman never shuts up.

Rome actually would have been a great choice in the MNF booth. He is a great interviewer, but his show and especially the clones are not "fresh" at all. I quit listening years ago because of the clones and because I don't give a crap about Laker basketball, which is all he ever seems to talk about. He'll dog someone until they come into "The Jungle" then they're great.

Kaiser Toro
10-05-2006, 08:11 PM
I miss Howard Cosell ...... even if you detested the guy, he was better than the list of posers that followed him ....

The Greatest.

chuckm
10-05-2006, 08:16 PM
The Greatest.

exactly ..... remember the days BEFORE the internet? before cable?

Waiting for the "halftime highlights" to get your only glimpse of the "rest" of the NFL .....

Kaiser Toro
10-05-2006, 08:20 PM

Waiting for the "halftime highlights" to get your only glimpse of the "rest" of the NFL .....

Fortunately I was able to experience it. MNF, and largely Cosell, were the reason I developed a passion for this game at an early age.

kfranco_utexas
10-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Rome does a great job on interviews. Unfortunately, he sucks at everything else. "clones" are you kidding me??

Rome treats his guests nicely but once they leave after a few days, he rips them a new one. I DO NOT LIKE HIM. THe guy bashes car more than I do but once someone shows up, he is all over their....:twocents:

chuckm
10-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Fortunately I was able to experience it. MNF, and largely Cosell, were the reason I developed a passion for this game at an early age.

hahaha yep me too .... and Dandy Don singing "Turn out the Lights" ....

How would you like to watch one more KC/Oakland game with Curt Gowdy and Kyle Rote calling the play by play?

Speedy
10-05-2006, 08:28 PM
hahaha yep me too .... and Dandy Don singing "Turn out the Lights" ....

How would you like to watch one more game with Curt Gowdy and Kyle Rote calling the play by play?
There will probably never be a booth as entertaining and informative as Gifford, Dandy Don and Cosell.

Now days a broadcast seems to be nothing more than listening to someone's blog.

Goldeagle
10-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Theesman and Cornhoser are the worst EVER. I haven't seen a MNF game yet this year where Tony hasn't mentioned he's got so and so on his freaking fantasy team at least 3 times per broadcast. And know-it-all Theesman never shuts up.

Rome actually would have been a great choice in the MNF booth. He is a great interviewer, but his show and especially the clones are not "fresh" at all. I quit listening years ago because of the clones and because I don't give a crap about Laker basketball, which is all he ever seems to talk about. He'll dog someone until they come into "The Jungle" then they're great.

I dont mind the jungle, I just HATE THEESMAN AND CORNHOSER!

HOU-TEX
10-06-2006, 10:38 AM

Those were the days of classic smash mouth football. At my age back then the halftime highlights were my favorite part. Nowadays during MNF halftimes I usually go take a shower.

Howard was the face and voice of football! Nobodies ever going to surpass him.

Since we're discussing the good ole football days it reminded me of a game I use to have. Does anyone remember the game Talking Football? It had a miniture record player with several records. In order to drive down the field, you'd listen to each play until you either score, turnover on downs or turn the ball over. It was classic! My favorite game of all time. Somebody out there has to remember it.:)

http://s3.amazonaws.com/boardgamegeek/images/pic66008.jpg