PDA

View Full Version : Johnson wins AFC honor

HOU-TEX
10-03-2006, 05:00 PM
I hope he keeps playing the way he has. I'd like to see him in another Pro-Bowl.

The NFL announced today that Houston Texans WR Andre Johnson was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week, becoming the first Texan to win the offensive honor. Five Texans have won AFC Defensive Player.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2950&section=N%20Latest%20News

AggieTexanFan
10-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Congrats to him and another pro-bowl is certainly coming to him

real
10-03-2006, 05:16 PM
cool...

Nawzer
10-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Congrats to AJ! He's playing like a beast. Not only do I hope he will go to the Pro-Bowl but become an All-Pro at wide receiver.

nunusguy
10-03-2006, 05:26 PM
He's off to a great start this year. Way to go AJ !
I heard one of the SR 610 guys say the other day that AJ is now real comfortable in Houston, and wants to finish his career here. I'm really
skeptical of that remark, unless the 610 guy has got something solid to
back it up ? Maybe AJs met a attractive young Houston native who's family is all here ?
Floridians like Coloradans, Californians, Texans and others are very passionate about their native state and usually want to return eventually, and there's no less than 3 NFL teams in FLA.
On the other hand, if the Texans were legit contenders in a couple years when AJs contract is up for resigning, that's another story.

Bamaborn-Texasbred
10-03-2006, 06:41 PM
I heard one of the SR 610 guys say the other day that AJ is now real comfortable in Houston, and wants to finish his career here. I'm really
back it up ? Maybe AJs met a attractive young Houston native who's family is all here ?
Floridians like Coloradans, Californians, Texans and others are very passionate about their native state and usually want to return eventually, and there's no less than 3 NFL teams in FLA.
On the other hand, if the Texans were legit contenders in a couple years when AJs contract is up for resigning, that's another story.

Biggio is from New York and Bagwell from Boston. Something in the air suited them well....

Maybe there is some truth to it.

Having Kubiak around is probably reason for optimism....

I certainly don't think Andre is the kind of guy that would like to play in one of the larger markets. He also doesn't seem like the kind of person that would relish the idea of having to make a lot of new acquaintances.

aj.
10-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Most of the people had left Reliant after the game Sunday when John Granato interviewed AJ on the field as part of the '5th quarter.' (the interview can be heard over the stadium PA and seen on the big screen)

Granato asked AJ about being a Miami guy, how did it feel to beat the Dolphins?.... AJ responded by saying he was born and raised in Miami and has always been a Miami guy but Houston is home now and he's proud to be a Texan.

TexansTrueFan
10-03-2006, 08:24 PM
AJ has really stepped it up, but we must credit Moulds for taking a lot of the pressure off of him, and allowing him to get open a lot more. If he continues this he will Deff make the Pro Bowl.

aj.
10-03-2006, 08:26 PM
And look for Moulds' numbers to increase over the next few weeks as a result of more attn on AJ.

MrMeToo
10-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Great news.Glad to see AJ getting rewarded for his play.

Vinny
10-04-2006, 12:06 AM
two words: franchise tag - he ain't going anywhere

Congrats AJ!

mexican_texan
10-04-2006, 12:30 AM
Biggio is from New York and Bagwell from Boston. Something in the air suited them well....

Maybe there is some truth to it.

Having Kubiak around is probably reason for optimism....

I certainly don't think Andre is the kind of guy that would like to play in one of the larger markets. He also doesn't seem like the kind of person that would relish the idea of having to make a lot of new acquaintances.
Wasn't Bagwell traded FROM Boston?

I'm not sure about Moulds' numbers going up. Like we've said before, we have two #1 WRs and the D can't focus on just one of them, the other will burn them. I think a reason AJ hasn't been stopped is that teams don't know how to deal with Moulds AND AJ.

bigTEXan8
10-04-2006, 12:39 AM
it's funny that the texans have won five defensive awards...yet they've been in the bottom of most defensive categories like...the past few years.

Scooter
10-04-2006, 12:43 AM
Wasn't Bagwell traded FROM Boston?

yes, we picked him up from the red sox when he was a minor leaguer, but he was also from boston.

powerfuldragon
10-04-2006, 08:16 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/TheKingOfBums/250px-FlavaFlav.jpg

YEAH BOY!

Texans_Chick
10-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Most of the people had left Reliant after the game Sunday when John Granato interviewed AJ on the field as part of the '5th quarter.' (the interview can be heard over the stadium PA and seen on the big screen)

Granato asked AJ about being a Miami guy, how did it feel to beat the Dolphins?.... AJ responded by saying he was born and raised in Miami and has always been a Miami guy but Houston is home now and he's proud to be a Texan.

That was really great for him to say. He is not a super glib kinda guy, and it really sounded like he meant it.

Runner
10-04-2006, 08:35 AM
That was really great for him to say. He is not a super glib kinda guy, and it really sounded like he meant it.

It will be interesting to see what Dre does the next off-season. In the past he is one of the players that takes off for "home" as soon as the season ends and comes back the day before the first mandatory session. I think he usually goes back to Miami for any extended breaks, i.e. between OTAs and training camp. Maybe this will be an area that Moulds influences him. I've always thought he should spend more time working out with Carr and the Texans rather than at The U with ex-Miami players.

I've always heard his home in Houston is his office; his condo on Miami Beach is his crib.

DBCooper
10-04-2006, 08:35 AM
Congrats AJ!

It has been nice having a true #2 receiver in Moulds.

If we get Walter up to speed and the running game working,
Andre will be hard to stop.

SESupergenius
10-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Personally I'd like to see more out of AJ and how does he get this honor when a smallish CB stripped the ball away from him in that game? That was no INT. Where is this "beast" we keep hearing about. AJ is taller and supposedly stronger, but from what I've been seeing, most of his catches are from good passes where he then gets tackled rather quickly. I'd love to see AJ be a strong physical player that can take CB's one on one with AJ doing a stiff arm to get loose. But being that as it may, it's a good thing when someone on our offense gets an award.

real
10-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Personally I'd like to see more out of AJ and how does he get this honor when a smallish CB stripped the ball away from him in that game? That was no INT. Where is this "beast" we keep hearing about. AJ is taller and supposedly stronger, but from what I've been seeing, most of his catches are from good passes where he then gets tackled rather quickly. I'd love to see AJ be a strong physical player that can take CB's one on one with AJ doing a stiff arm to get loose. But being that as it may, it's a good thing when someone on our offense gets an award.

Isn't that the main point???

TheOgre
10-04-2006, 10:13 AM
two words: franchise tag - he ain't going anywhere

Congrats AJ!

I would like to see them add a change to the franchise tag rules. It would prohibit a team from franchising the same player in two consecutive seasons. This would force the player and team to come to terms on a contract during that franchise tag season, or the player could move on. Right now, it allows teams to hold a player hostage indefinitely.

valleytexfan
10-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Well deserved. No doubt about it.

jerek
10-04-2006, 11:33 AM

Oh for pete's sake -- no great player ever makes mistakes or is ever outplayed on any ball. I'd like to see more passes thrown to him too but saying the guy had a bad game or didn't deserve his award because Will Allen made a fantastic play is reaching. Take the paper bag off your head dude.

infantrycak
10-04-2006, 11:50 AM
That was no INT.

OK--all I see at NFL.com is the following definitions:

Fumble: The loss of possession of the ball.

Doesn't appear to be a definition for INT.

There were two weird calls in the game. Rich Lord was complaining that Carr should have been credited for two fumbles but a caller pointed out one did not count as a fumble because it bounced off an OLmen's butt and Carr caught in the air before touching the ground. That appears to be how the officials have recorded it but the touching the ground rule doesn't appear in the rule and in the past I have seen DB's take balls away from RB's or WR's and it has been recorded as a fumble. Seems to me like the calls were exactly backwards and Carr's sack catch off the OLmen should be a fumble and fumble recovery and the throw to AJ should have been a completion and then fumble. Anyone have a more extensive reference for explaining these situations?

SESupergenius
10-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Oh for pete's sake -- no great player ever makes mistakes or is ever outplayed on any ball. I'd like to see more passes thrown to him too but saying the guy had a bad game or didn't deserve his award because Will Allen made a fantastic play is reaching. Take the paper bag off your head dude.
Yes you are right, I will take the bag off my head however when I finally see Dunta on the field, right now I can't seem, I see his jersey, but I don't see him in the game.

He deserves it I guess, but I'd like for him to become an elite receiver that is unstoppable and be able to push CB's down like T.O.

jerek
10-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Yes you are right, I will take the bag off my head however when I finally see Dunta on the field, right now I can't seem, I see his jersey, but I don't see him in the game.

He deserves it I guess, but I'd like for him to become an elite receiver that is unstoppable and be able to push CB's down like T.O.

I've seen AJ do that a number of times already. Now is he perfect? Of course not. Can he improve, become even better? Yes. JMO that to imply he didn't deserve the award because of that one mistake is overkill.

NEROtheZERO
10-04-2006, 12:26 PM

He is first in receptions and third in yards. If that is not elite I don't know what is.

SESupergenius
10-04-2006, 12:33 PM
I've seen AJ do that a number of times already. Now is he perfect? Of course not. Can he improve, become even better? Yes. JMO that to imply he didn't deserve the award because of that one mistake is overkill.

Ok, I am being a little too hard on him then. I just see much more potential in him than he is exuding. He made a great catch downfield when Carr threw it up, so that negates his turnover. It's not that I don't like AJ, I just want to seem more and I think he is capable of that. I want to see a YouTube clip of him with a nastly stiffarm on a Cornerback, I've not seen that yet this year.

Porky
10-04-2006, 01:36 PM
I think Will Allen just made a great play in that instance, moreso than AJ made a bad one. It looked like AJ caught it, and went to turn upfield, but didn't quite have full control yet, and Allen came in and stripped him at the perfect time. He didn't have a good grasp yet, that's why it went down as an INT and not fumble, altough it was very borderline imo.

Congrats to AJ! He is leading the NFL in receptions, and 3rd in yardage. If anyone still complains after reading those numbers then they are just negative nellies, and nothing will ever please them.

jerek
10-04-2006, 01:50 PM
I think Will Allen just made a great play in that instance, moreso than AJ made a bad one. It looked like AJ caught it, and went to turn upfield, but didn't quite have full control yet, and Allen came in and stripped him at the perfect time. He didn't have a good grasp yet, that's why it went down as an INT and not fumble, altough it was very borderline imo.

Congrats to AJ! He is leading the NFL in receptions, and 3rd in yardage. If anyone still complains after reading those numbers then they are just negative nellies, and nothing will ever please them.

That's my opinion as well, moreso than AJ's fault (somewhat) or Carr's bad throw (thought it was a good throw myself.) Sometimes defenders just make great plays. Given AJ's subsequent tackle, I'd say it's safe to assume he was pissed about losing the ball. Live and learn and intend on it not happening again, but Will Allen timed and executed that one absolutely perfectly.

thunderkyss
10-04-2006, 02:13 PM
AJ has really stepped it up, but we must credit Moulds for taking a lot of the pressure off of him, and allowing him to get open a lot more. If he continues this he will Deff make the Pro Bowl.

I really think the Miami game was more David challenging the corners, and finding AJ in the zone...... I don't think AJ has had a problem beating single coverage, or finding holes in the zone, Carr just didn't trust his ability.

Now, well against Miami anyway, Carr has been doing the things ProBowl QBs do.

It will be interesting to see what Dre does the next off-season. In the past he is one of the players that takes off for "home" as soon as the season ends and comes back the day before the first mandatory session. I think he usually goes back to Miami for any extended breaks, i.e. between OTAs and training camp. Maybe this will be an area that Moulds influences him. I've always thought he should spend more time working out with Carr and the Texans rather than at The U with ex-Miami players.

I've always heard his home in Houston is his office; his condo on Miami Beach is his crib.

I have no problem at all with Andre going back to the U to workout in the offseason. That's part of a program Miami has with it's alumni that has made it to the NFL, kind of mentoring the younger players coming into their program. It's a big part of the success of that university, and the success of the players that do come out of that program.

thunderkyss
10-04-2006, 02:17 PM
OK--all I see at NFL.com is the following definitions:

Fumble: The loss of possession of the ball.

Doesn't appear to be a definition for INT.

There were two weird calls in the game. Rich Lord was complaining that Carr should have been credited for two fumbles but a caller pointed out one did not count as a fumble because it bounced off an OLmen's butt and Carr caught in the air before touching the ground. That appears to be how the officials have recorded it but the touching the ground rule doesn't appear in the rule and in the past I have seen DB's take balls away from RB's or WR's and it has been recorded as a fumble. Seems to me like the calls were exactly backwards and Carr's sack catch off the OLmen should be a fumble and fumble recovery and the throw to AJ should have been a completion and then fumble. Anyone have a more extensive reference for explaining these situations?

AJ never had possession.... period. Didn't have control, did not get either feet down, made no football move.

SESupergenius
10-04-2006, 02:25 PM
AJ never had possession.... period. Didn't have control, did not get either feet down, made no football move.

AJ caught the ball with 2 hands, Allen didn't, Allen came in and took the ball from AJ. The ball wasn't tipped, AJ had his hands on it the whole time and had control.

DBCooper
10-04-2006, 03:07 PM

I am with you, he never had possession.

MrMeToo
10-04-2006, 06:19 PM

I also agree.