PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Mathis

gtexan02
08-22-2006, 10:09 AM
I haven't heard his name in a while. Someone want to fill me in?

TheOgre
08-22-2006, 10:14 AM
He got hurt in the Pro Bowl, tried to rehab it, and it hasn't healed.

whiskeyrbl
08-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Due back in Oct. I believe.

Corrosion
08-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Due back around week 4 is my understanding ..... If PBuch continues to produce on returns I could invision him going to the pup list which would keep him out until the 6th week I believe .

Texans_Chick
08-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Here is a review: Link: Pro Bowler Jerome Mathis injured for start of season (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/05/pro_bowler_jerome_mathis_injur.html)

They were talking October, but you just never know.

rmartin65
08-22-2006, 02:22 PM
What week is the bye? That could help decide if he's on the pup or not.

Divebomb
08-22-2006, 02:34 PM
What a shame, that guy is going to be missed.

Cheroqui
09-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Hey when is Jerome Mathis expected back anyway? I thought this guy was projected to be out for 8 weeks and that was when in the off season at the start of our free agency draft/picks.

Any info?

gtexan02
09-12-2006, 06:05 PM
He was placed on PUP. Here is the official rule for the PUP:

P.U.P. rules

Players placed on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform are allowed to begin practicing with the team after the conclusion of the sixth regular-season weekend and continuing after the conclusion of the ninth regular-season weekend. The practice period is not to exceed 21 days. Any time during that 21-day period, teams are allowed to restore the player to the Reserve/PUP list or to the active roster.

chuckm
09-12-2006, 07:07 PM
He was placed on PUP. Here is the official rule for the PUP:

P.U.P. rules

Players placed on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform are allowed to begin practicing with the team after the conclusion of the sixth regular-season weekend and continuing after the conclusion of the ninth regular-season weekend. The practice period is not to exceed 21 days. Any time during that 21-day period, teams are allowed to restore the player to the Reserve/PUP list or to the active roster.

Your signature is hilarious ..... no what were we discussing?

gtexan02
09-12-2006, 07:08 PM
thanks!

rmartin65
09-13-2006, 01:22 PM
I was thinking week 6. I may be wrong.

BigDTexansFan
09-13-2006, 06:25 PM
I was thinking week 6. I may be wrong.

that is my understanding we can bring him back for Dallas game

|The.Brand0n|
10-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Does anyone have any updated info on my dawg Jerome? I know he's on the PUP and cant come back until after Week 6, but I'm really ready for him to come back and have us starting from the 45 every drive ...

Bamaborn-Texasbred
10-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Does anyone have any updated info on my dawg Jerome? I know he's on the PUP and cant come back until after Week 6, but I'm really ready for him to come back and have us starting from the 45 every drive ...

Kubes said Wong would prob be back a couple of weeks after the Cowboy game and Jerome would come sometime after that more than likely. At least that is what I think I heard.

Texas_Thrill
10-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Who else will we be missing for the Dallas game?

Meloy
10-03-2006, 01:30 PM
I too look for a return by JM. He offers Billy Whiteshoes excitement the others have not instilled in me.

gtexan02
10-03-2006, 02:22 PM
I agree it'd be nice to have him back, but at this point, he's not going to make a huge difference.

Mathis (2005): Returns 54 for 1542, 28.6 avg
Sheppherd (2006): Returns 8 for 225, 28.1 avg

So unless Sheppherd has a huge dropoff or we are 1/2 a yard short of the goaline, Sheppherd has been a great substitute so far.

PS: Edell is probably better in the passing game than Mathis was

Mr. White
10-03-2006, 02:33 PM
I agree it'd be nice to have him back, but at this point, he's not going to make a huge difference.

So unless Sheppherd has a huge dropoff or we are 1/2 a yard short of the goaline, Sheppherd has been a great substitute so far.

I think Shepherd will be the guy from here on out. I remember over the offseason Kubiak saying something to the extent that he wants a return man that can also be an effective receiver. Shepherd's done pretty well at both.

Hate to say it, but I think that Mathis will probably get traded this offseason.

AggieTexanFan
10-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Not unless Shep takes atleast 1 to the house, because we know Mathis can

rmartin65
10-03-2006, 05:08 PM
I really hope he comes back as soon as he can. He is probably one of my favorite players.

kingh99
10-03-2006, 05:17 PM

I'd rather trade him and maybe Joppru for some defensive secondary help or another RB. Shepherd looks fine in the role.I am starting to think maybe our wedge has a little something to do with the returner's production.

kenneth24
10-03-2006, 05:25 PM
this morning on 610 they were saying they don't expect Mathis to return this season at all. Expect Wong to be back by week 9 but Mathis more than likely will be out.

infantrycak
10-03-2006, 05:28 PM
this morning on 610 they were saying they don't expect Mathis to return this season at all. Expect Wong to be back by week 9 but Mathis more than likely will be out.

Don't know where that came from. Kubiak on Monday evening said Wong should be back week 7 and Mathis 1-2 weeks later.

real
10-03-2006, 05:29 PM

I can believe that...

rmartin65
10-04-2006, 01:15 PM
If Mathis was not gonna come back at all he would be on the IR.

PapaL
10-04-2006, 01:36 PM
If Mathis was not gonna come back at all he would be on the IR.

Or, they're giving him as much time as possible before placing him on IR. Either way they have to pay him. Atleast this way he would be able to come back.

Vambo, the Marble Eye
10-17-2006, 12:40 PM
When does he come back?

Reddevil63
10-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Kubiak said he is atleast a few weeks behind Wong who comes back this week.

TEXANS84
10-17-2006, 01:03 PM
I have a feeling he'll go to IR. I haven't heard anything positive being reported on his injury status.

Tailgate
10-17-2006, 01:04 PM
A positive report? The Texans? That will be the day.

Blu
10-17-2006, 01:11 PM
Is it the hands still? http://www.darkfuel.com/games/images/nocontrol_tn.jpg

Yankee_In_TX
10-17-2006, 01:15 PM

You're kidding.....right?

bigTEXan8
10-17-2006, 01:22 PM

is that kellen winslow jr.? he's a soldier you know?

TexanSam
10-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Is there any date that he's supposed to come back? Kailee Wong and Petey Faggins were taken off the PUP list for this last game, but I'm not sure when Mathis comes off. Edell Sheppard hasn't been bad with kick returns, but I really miss Mathis. Last year he gave us good field position almost every time. With our improved offense, we might be able to capitalize on it this season. I'm not sure how effective he'd be coming off a broken foot, but I'd like to see how he does.

TexansSeminole
10-24-2006, 07:17 PM
I remember Kubiak saying he was 2 weeks behind Wong and Faggins.

WiiBrawler
10-24-2006, 07:21 PM
My post from before

Im starting to lose respect for Mathis.After what Kubiak said at training camp about his attitude,after that motorcycle accident, I dont think he is commited

We Need His Talent Though

aj.
10-24-2006, 08:01 PM
I have a feeling he will be placed on IR at some point in the next week and a half.

keyfro
10-24-2006, 08:06 PM
i hope mathis is able to get on the field...wouldn't mind seeing him stretch the field a bit for andre and moulds...also nothing against sheppard but mathis is a huge upgrade at KR if he's healthy

edo783
10-24-2006, 08:51 PM
I have a feeling he will be placed on IR at some point in the next week and a half.

That's how I read it also.

jerek
10-24-2006, 09:04 PM
I've heard Mathis has been doing light running in practice. I'd be a little surprised if he goes IR.

mexican_texan
10-24-2006, 09:09 PM
I've heard Mathis has been doing light running in practice. I'd be a little surprised if he goes IR.
..but you have to worry if he can regain his speed and agility.

aj.
10-25-2006, 06:59 AM

I saw DD doing light-to-moderate running (cuts and all) in practice almost every day until he was placed on IR.

Mathis may not go IR - I kind of think he will - but I think the physical aspect is only part of his story. I think Kubiak is waiting for South Side Jerome to show a little more spit filled Wong-like determination before he just hands him back that roster spot and tosses Shepherd, Lewis or Anderson aside. Kubiak's tone is a little different when he talks about Mathis. It's subtle but it's there. If you haven't noticed, [Robaire and P Buch] the right kind of attitude is important in this locker room.

done88
10-25-2006, 07:50 AM
I saw DD doing light-to-moderate running (cuts and all) in practice almost every day until he was placed on IR.

Mathis may not go IR - I kind of think he will - but I think the physical aspect is only part of his story. I think Kubiak is waiting for South Side Jerome to show a little more spit filled Wong-like determination before he just hands him back that roster spot and tosses Shephed, Lewis or Anderson aside. Kubiak's tone is a little different when he talks about Mathis. It's subtle but it's there. If you haven't noticed, [Robaire and P Buch] the right kind of attitude is important in this locker room.

Witht the return game as non-exsistant as it is he needs to be willing to drop all all three in order to get the Pro-Bowl kick returner back on the team. He will not have to get his quickness back. His natural ability to stop on a dime and go the other direction will not e effected by his injuries. As for DD not coming back. He refused to get on the field. He said although he was cleared he did not feel right. Now if Mathis is willing to play he will not go on the IR.

real
10-25-2006, 07:53 AM
His natural ability to stop on a dime and go the other direction will not e effected by his injuries.

Are you talking about Mathis ??? Stop on a dime and go the other direction??? Thats not his style man....

powerfuldragon
10-25-2006, 08:10 AM
..but you have to worry if he can regain his speed and agility.
what agility? boy is north to south in 2 seconds. no zig zags.

El Tejano
10-25-2006, 08:16 AM
If for anything, I would like Mathis to return for the sake of giving that spark that we need sometimes.

Like the Jags game. I wonder how much better we would've came back from the Jags TD in the 3rd quarter if he even ran it back to the 40 like he did so many times as a rookie.

I just remember him being a reason we won one of our two victories in the game against the Browns. Because of his returns our team got up for the challenge and won.

aj.
10-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Are you talking about Mathis ??? Stop on a dime and go the other direction??? Thats not his style man....

Yeah, I was going to say...

Mathis is a straight-ahead sprinter who can make small angle adjustments in flight but nothing sharp and what I would consider on-a-dime. That's one of his issues as a route runner. World class flat out speed yes, but Dante Hall-like precision cuts that buckle the knees of corners or special teams tackler's? Not even close. He is very good at seeing windows and blowing by people, not juking them into the turf.

Don't get me wrong, he would improve the return game, if he came back at last year's ability. I'm just not convinced that he's there physically or otherwise based on Kubiak's tone when he discusses his situation....and based a little bit on his history of being a knucklehead.

Witht the return game as non-exsistant as it is he needs to be willing to drop all all three in order to get the Pro-Bowl kick returner back on the team. .

Our kickoff return man is far from a Pro Bowler but being 13th in the NFL (out of 32 teams) is also far from being non-existent.

JDizzle
10-25-2006, 08:55 AM
what agility? boy is north to south in 2 seconds. no zig zags.

Exactly. He is no Dante Hall but he can fly. But, if he hasn't reached that level then he's not going to be much of an upgrade at KR, if any.

jerek
10-25-2006, 09:46 AM

Mathis may not go IR - I kind of think he will - but I think the physical aspect is only part of his story. I think Kubiak is waiting for South Side Jerome to show a little more spit filled Wong-like determination before he just hands him back that roster spot and tosses Shepherd, Lewis or Anderson aside. Kubiak's tone is a little different when he talks about Mathis. It's subtle but it's there. If you haven't noticed, [Robaire and P Buch] the right kind of attitude is important in this locker room.

I should have qualified my statement more carefully, and of course, you're right about Davis and the fact that Mathis working out lightly doesn't inherently mean he's due back (though trust me, I've had knee orthoscopy, and it's a different injury. I didn't honestly think Davis would be back period once I heard the extent of the damage.) Add to that fact that Shepherd has been at least adequate and I would agree that the coaches probably aren't laying awake at night praying for Mathis' imminent return.

And I agree that attitude is important, but IMO, Buchanon and Robaire were cut in part because they just weren't getting it done at their respective positions. I will freely admit that I could be wrong in this instance -- because I haven't heard much one way or the other at this point -- but what little I've heard from my team sources is that Mathis is making expected progress.

BigDTexansFan
10-26-2006, 06:06 PM
And I remember John McClain on 610 calling Mario a bust after 3 games, so I don't give creedence to anything they say on 610.

Hey McClain!

Eat Crow Not Chicken!

you are too nice, I would prefer Johnny MacCheese eat something brown and steamy myself:rolleyes:

threetoedpete
10-26-2006, 09:38 PM
I have a feeling he'll go to IR. I haven't heard anything positive being reported on his injury status.

Told ya we sould of traded the guy befor the last draft. They we're pretty tight lipped about
Wong and Faggins also. Who knows ? Agreed, I think they're goona need the roster spot for freedom of movement with injuries and personel movesthe rest of the year. Kinda late for a rookie to be banging off the rust.

And yes I see this thread has cob webs on it.

vtech9
10-26-2006, 10:13 PM
I would still like to see JJ Moses back there returning kicks and punts. I would much rather have JJ than Edell.

TexansSeminole
10-27-2006, 02:03 AM
I would still like to see JJ Moses back there returning kicks and punts. I would much rather have JJ than Edell.

Why? So you can watch JJ get nailed by the Jaguars special teams unit? I swear, everytime I saw that guy get hit I thought his career was over.

dantem
10-27-2006, 07:53 AM
Witht the return game as non-exsistant as it is he needs to be willing to drop all all three in order to get the Pro-Bowl kick returner back on the team.

non-exsistant? we rarely start less than the 30 yard line after kickoffs. Shepherd is playing well. He is currently no 13 in the NFL (24+ yards per carry) on kick returns. I would rather have Shepherd, Kick return is a bad place to have a player who is just comming off major injuries.

dantem
10-27-2006, 07:57 AM

JJ Averaged 22 per carry in his best year (23rd in the league). Edell has done at least that well so far (24 ypc)

fdknuckles
10-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Now that Anderson has been moved up from the practice squad, I thought we'd be seeing him return some kicks.:twocents:

Texans_Chick
10-27-2006, 05:42 PM

The reasons that Joe Marciano couldn't keep JJ is that JJ didn't have enough breakaway speed. I saw him show a video of times where JJ got caught from behind.

If Marciano springs a guy, he wants him to stay sprung.

edo783
10-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Pretty much like JJ, Edell has been solid. Not spectacular, but solid. Mathis on the other hand can be spectacular at times and better play by play. JJ & Edell will get ya to ~ 25-30 pretty consistantly. Mathis was ~ 30-35 with a break out run once a game and some to the house. We are not hurting at KR right now, but we are better when Mathis is back there.

pockets44
11-06-2006, 10:00 AM
I don't get on as much as I used to and haven't heard about him. Any info on when or if he's coming back this year? Our special teams could really use him!

fball
11-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Don't know if this has been posted anywhere but how is he doing and when are we going to have him back, we really need him returning kicks?! :brickwall

Marcus
11-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Don't know if this has been posted anywhere but how is he doing and when are we going to have him back, we really need him returning kicks?! :brickwall
From Kubiak's pressr . .

(on the injury status of WR Jerome Mathis) “I think I gave you guys some poor information on this, and I think I’m right this time. On PUP (Physically Unable to Perform list), when you come off of PUP there is a three week period (to start being evaluated), and that three week period has passed on Jerome. I think it ends today. And we now have 21 days to make an active roster decision on Jerome. So really his clock starts ticking either today or tomorrow. So you’re talking about Week 11 before you have to make an ultimate decision on him. But I would tell you all the same thing. He is behind those other players. He’s not ready to go this week. Jerome has got to take a couple big steps before you all are going to see him on the field. So I would say it’s 50-50 with Jerome with whether he come back and plays this year. Hopefully we’ll make some big strides here in the next few weeks.”
Is it just me, or does anyone else have the feeling that Kubiak is unhappy with Mathis? I've listened to him talk about him on the radio 3 times now, and each time, I come away with that feeling. I don't know whether he's not satisfied with his attitude, or his commitment to his recovery or what. But I just sense that something is wrong.

real
11-07-2006, 10:15 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else have the feeling that Kubiak is unhappy with Mathis? I've listened to him talk about him on the radio 3 times now, and each time, I come away with that feeling. I don't know whether he's not satisfied with his attitude, or his commitment to his recovery or what. But I just have sense that something is wrong.

I don't know....

I kinda get that feeling, but it's hard to tell....

aj.
11-07-2006, 10:25 AM
Is it just me,.

No ...

edo783
11-07-2006, 10:31 AM
I agree, Kubes seems less than thrilled with Mathis. The why that is, is the question. Based on what & how he talks about him, and how his recovery is going, I fully expect him to be IRed this year and I am not real sure about his future with the team. Kind of sad that an All Pro player might be such a knucklehead that the team wouldn't keep him. Might be a money thing. Maybe Mathis is complaining that he isn't being paid like an All Pro, which is true, but most teams want more than just one years production to see if they warrent a big pay day or not.

Marcus
11-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Very sad really, considering they need a return guy in the worst way. If they do IR him, and then take another return man in the draft, then we'll know for sure. I think it's maturity issues rather than money.

humbleone
11-09-2006, 02:04 PM
I agree...the Kubiak/Mathis deal looks/sounds like other players who are no longer on the team.

Probably a maturity thing combined with Kubes not being able to visualize him in the #4 Rec pushing the #3 role which he talked about needing to see from him at some point as I recall.

wrestler4life
11-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Sucks if he can't get his act together. Lots of talent

El Tejano
11-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Sucks if he can't get his act together. Lots of talent

David Anderson can do a good job. Would be nice to get Aaron Ross from Texas.

rafterticket
11-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else have the feeling that Kubiak is unhappy with Mathis? I've listened to him talk about him on the radio 3 times now, and each time, I come away with that feeling. I don't know whether he's not satisfied with his attitude, or his commitment to his recovery or what. But I just sense that something is wrong.

I think it would be awful for the guy to just be a quick flash in the pan, for whatever reason. If it's his attitude, then too bad for him.

Sad as it is, there was nothing better last year than the anticipation of him dropping back for a kick return. In the long term, he would be forgotten, but in the brief history of the franchise, he's a legend.

I know I speak for everyone when I say we want more for him.

TxAg
11-09-2006, 11:05 PM
That dude was awsome :marionaner:

Wolf
11-10-2006, 06:18 PM
November 9, 2006
"50-50" Odds on Return for Mathis

For a player known for his stunning returns, it seems a bit ironic that Jerome Mathis is having a rather difficult time making his return to the field. In a press conference earlier this week, head coach Gary Kubiak sounded pessimistic about the health of his second-year receiver and kick returner, even questioning whether he will it back on the roster this season.

"Jerome has got to take a couple big steps before you all are going to see him on the field," Kubiak said. "So I would say itís 50-50 with Jerome on whether he will come back and play this year."

Kubiak sent Mathis to the physically unable to perform list following the discovery of a slight fracture in his foot over the summer, an injury Mathis possibly suffered during his play in February's Pro Bowl. Prior to finding the injury, Mathis had fallen off his motorcycle in April, absorbing minor injuries to his arms and hands.

As a rookie last season, Mathis earned an invite to the Pro Bowl representing the AFC squad. He finished second in the league with a 28.6-yard average on his kickoff returns, taking two kickoffs all the way back for touchdowns.

Mathis was also expected to improve upon his contributions as a receiver, perhaps pushing for time as the third option after Andre Johnson and Eric Moulds on the depth chart.

www.houstonprofootball.com

Wolf
11-12-2006, 10:07 AM
any word on if mathis is playing?

I would think so being Sheppard was released.

anyway injury report shows only
HOU
OUT
MLB DaShon Polk (Knee)

QUESTIONABLE

DT Lional Dalton (Ankle)
PROBABLE

C Drew Hodgdon (Back)
T Ephraim Salaam (Ankle)
DE Anthony Weaver (Knee)
DE Mario Williams (Foot)

http://www.nfl.com/injuries

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
11-12-2006, 10:21 AM
Earlier this morning 11/12 on fox sports injury report Mario was listed as probable with a "Illness". Does anyone know whats wrong. Sorry dont no how to put in the link.

Malloy
11-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Earlier this morning 11/12 on fox sports injury report Mario was listed as probable with a "Illness". Does anyone know whats wrong. Sorry dont no how to put in the link.

Prolly that stomach thing some of the players brought back from NY.

Big J
11-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Yeah...he got sick on Wed. and took the day off with weaver, etc. It was some type of cold I think.

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
11-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Prolly that stomach thing some of the players brought back from NY.

Dang, Didn't the team get the memo not to drink the water in New York?