PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Aggression

texflex513
10-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Now that we all have finally seen how the D looks attacking. Can we get away with playing this way all season? Will it do more harm than good? thoughts....

Cjeremy635
10-02-2006, 03:33 PM
Depends, it's nice to see them attack but I don't want to see them get burned on a repeated basis. It's a catch 22 unfortunately. I think they will find their niche where they are the most comfortable and successful as a team, whatever that may be, and stick with it for the most part. However, if they can bring it like they did in the series where Mario got his sack (the whole series) then we can create havoc and turnovers and that in turn will = wins! :redtowel:

jerek
10-02-2006, 03:41 PM
The key is to mix it up. Attack sometimes, show attack others, back off on others. Mix up your zones and your mans, send people from multiple positions. It isn't an either/or situation; the key is to keep the offense guessing and to use pressure to hurry QBs into bad decisions.

Any one kind of defensive play can be taken advantage of by a particular breed of offensive play; the key is to mix it up and keep it unpredictable. Prior to the Miami game, Richard Smith played it way too soft way too much of the time. I liked the mix and his gameplan much better against Miami; we all noticed the sacks and the pressure play, but if you do it every time, the offense can counter it.

TexansSeminole
10-02-2006, 03:45 PM
The key is to mix it up. Attack sometimes, show attack others, back off on others. Mix up your zones and your mans, send people from multiple positions. It isn't an either/or situation; the key is to keep the offense guessing and to use pressure to hurry QBs into bad decisions.

Any one kind of defensive play can be taken advantage of by a particular breed of offensive play; the key is to mix it up and keep it unpredictable. Prior to the Miami game, Richard Smith played it way too soft way too much of the time. I liked the mix and his gameplan much better against Miami; we all noticed the sacks and the pressure play, but if you do it every time, the offense can counter it.

I was watching the Bears D last night and they are brilliant. If you watch how their Linebackers show blitz its scary. Their front line is so good they dont need to blitz anyone but when they do its almost an automatic sack or ball thrown away. But if u watch how quick Briggs and Urlacher back up after the snap its crazy. Urlacher is 10 yards back by the time the QB has the ball.

jerek
10-02-2006, 04:41 PM
I was watching the Bears D last night and they are brilliant. If you watch how their Linebackers show blitz its scary. Their front line is so good they dont need to blitz anyone but when they do its almost an automatic sack or ball thrown away. But if u watch how quick Briggs and Urlacher back up after the snap its crazy. Urlacher is 10 yards back by the time the QB has the ball.

I noticed that same thing. Urlacher is so fast rushing or backing up. The Steelers and Pats are also very good at showing blitz and creating confusion. Of course it'd be wondrous if we had Urlacher on our team but my feeling is we can coach and play those manuevers better. I notice our team at least showing blitz on just about every play this year -- didn't happen much under Fangio to my recollection.

TexanFanInCC
10-02-2006, 04:56 PM
i imagine an aggressive playbook works well against teams like the dolphins where their o-line is bad. i think this aggressive style will do us more good than harm. the steelers blitz almost every down. they will throw blitzes from anywhere on the field. it really doesnt hurt them that much. in order for it to work, the secondary needs to be stiff as rocks...and im not sure if our secondary is at that stage yet. if u have corners that can smother, then u can blitz on just about any passing down.